PDA

View Full Version : Is Detroit actually a good team?

HouRealCoach
07-19-2009, 05:49 AM
IMO they are not they are the same to me because they need a pass first PG and team players....Billups, Wallace, and Wallace were the heart of the team and those are the 3 they lost.... Villanueva, Gordon, and Stuckey are all shoot first players.... IMO they are not better than CLE, BOS, ORL, ATL, CHA, WAS, PHI, or CHI I dont think they can make the playoffs

ko8e24
07-19-2009, 05:50 AM
theyll be a 7th seed at best

B.JenningsMVP
07-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Joe is trying to build a team similar to that of the 03-04 team that won it all. IMO, it's not gonna work this time lol

Duncan = Donkey
07-19-2009, 06:19 AM
i thought this was common knowledge. i mean its pretty obvious they are not the same team they used to be.

they could sneak into the playoffs though.

aZekuiS
07-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I think they're on the same level as ATL, WAS, PHI. CHI and CHA aren't making the playoffs.

DitchDat
07-19-2009, 06:52 AM
However

PG - Stuckey / Bynum
SF - Prince / Austin Daye (the second-coming of Prince!!!)
C - Brown (?) / Nesterovic (Ben Wallace coming back?)
SG - Hamilton / Gordon
PF - Villanueva / Wilcox / Maxiell

that's a nice rotation of players to have for any team, and Gordon could be an immediate 6th Man of the Year candidate. Stuckey has been getting better, he's cocky, but he's steadily improving. Prince is an Olympian and one of the league most slept-on star players. Hamilton is still one of the best shooters in the game. Villanueva is improving fast, becoming one of those Rashard Lewis-like inside/outside forwards (which is nice for any team to have).

However, indeed, the losses of Rasheed, McDyess, Amir, Afflalo will hurt them. I don't see why they couldn't make the playoffs though.
Does anyone know if Oberto and Herrmann will stay?

I agree, they could use and upgrade over Kwame Brown, but the guy is trying. I think he played pretty well last year, seeing how much he is considered a bust.

Pistons should get to the playoffs, but they need to add depth to do damage there.

JayW_1023
07-19-2009, 06:56 AM
They'll be a lower seed...they don't have the defensive personel to match those conference finals teams.

danidin
07-19-2009, 07:23 AM
IMO Joe is trying to make a big trade.

Sports Illustrator
07-19-2009, 08:20 AM
They aren't the same team they once we, but they definitely should be having more moves coming along way. I can't see the Pistons keeping Richard Hamilton after signing Ben Gordon to a big contract.

They can definitely sneak into the playoffs though. Rodney Stuckey will keep getting better, Ben Gordon is always going to give it his all and Charlie Villanueva will be given a chance to see what he can do in a new system.

Anything can happen here, only time will tell.

Rapthug
07-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I have a ton of respect for Joe D but I don't know what he is doing. I'm sure he will make another move or two before the season starts but I don't think he can do anything to make this team a playoff contender. This team is going to get killed in the paint. Adding shoot first guys like BG and CV will result in one on one play every time and the Pistons now may be one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. Lottery bound are the Pistons.

KnicksR4Real
07-19-2009, 09:14 AM
they need a good froncourt player, they are good statistic wise but the suck in games b/c they cant work togethor

rufo4100
07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I think Detroit will be better than people think. Charlie V and Ben Gordan are both very good players and you guys still have Rip Hamilton and Stuckey will be better next year. YOu guys will be better than last year but not as good as 2007-2008.

IversonIsKrazy
07-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I think Detroit wont be that good. I think they'll be from 7th - 9th seed.

1. Orlando
2. Cleveland
3. Boston
4. Atlanta
5. Washington
6. Toronto
7. Miami
8. Chicago
9. Philly

These are all teams that i think are better than them in the East, but there pretty close to Phillly & chicago.

MiamiHeat
07-19-2009, 05:13 PM
they will be fighting for 8th seed

cantstopthee
07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I think they're on the same level as ATL, WAS, PHI. CHI and CHA aren't making the playoffs.

what teams make the playoffs then lol?

Nighthawk
07-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Detroit wont be that good. I think they'll be from 7th - 9th seed.

1. Orlando
2. Cleveland
3. Boston
4. Atlanta
5. Washington
6. Toronto
7. Miami
8. Chicago
9. Philly

These are all teams that i think are better than them in the East, but there pretty close to Phillly & chicago.

Toronto??? Atl WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

CELTICS
CAVS
MAGIC
WIZARDS
HEAT
BULLS
PISTONS
76ERS

Raps18-19 Champ
07-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I think it's over for them.

They are signing guys who aren't really stars.

Sports Illustrator
07-19-2009, 05:30 PM
The signing of Ben Gordon makes them a much stronger team. If Richard Hamilton gets traded (which is what the Detroit Pistons should do), Ben Gordon is going to have more of a role with the Pistons. He may even turnout to be the number 1 option.
I honestly think he can become an All-Star player as soon as this season.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Toronto??? Atl WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

CELTICS
CAVS
MAGIC
WIZARDS
HEAT
BULLS
PISTONS
76ERS

Atlanta not making the playoffs?

They have a 3 guard rotation that consist of Bibby, Johnson and Crawford. That's the best backcourt rotation in the league and they have Smith and Horford at the forwrad spots.

UofA
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Atl WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

Please explain...

KmB728
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I think Detroit will land the 7th or 8th seed in the East, they are not nearly as good as they use to be...

On a side note: Why the hell do a few of you guys have Washington as the 4th seed in the East!?

Wilson
07-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I think they have some solid pieces, but the team as it currently is shouldn't make too much noise.

I didn't like the Ben Gordon signing. It's hard to imagine him and fellow score first guard Rodney Stuckey working that well together, and Rip Hamilton is best utilised with a pass first PG. There's some problems to be solved in their back court.

Their front court could become very good with a solid center. I don't know if there's really anyone available, but Tayshaun Prince, Charlie V. and a center who can score and defend with consistency is a very good front court. I don't know who's really available though...:shrug:

Nighthawk
07-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Please explain...

i will next post season

KaganRS
07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
none of us really think they are going to be that great , and i'm not going to kid myself just because they're my team ..... the ceiling with the current roster is maybe 6th seed at best , but 7-9 seed more likely.

And alot of you need to quit sleeping on the Toronto Raptors.

Nighthawk
07-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I think Detroit will land the 7th or 8th seed in the East, they are not nearly as good as they use to be...

On a side note: Why the hell do a few of you guys have Washington as the 4th seed in the East!?

Healthy Agent Zero my friend. How easily you forget hes a beast

Nighthawk
07-19-2009, 05:46 PM
none of us really think they are going to be that great , and i'm not going to kid myself just because they're my team ..... the ceiling with the current roster is maybe 6th seed at best , but 7-9 seed more likely.

And alot of you need to quit sleeping on the Toronto Raptors.

Hedo pushes them into the playoffs?? Let me guess this is the year Bargs shows he is number 1 pick material? Oh wait Derozan is the second coming of Jordan right? Sorry man if Toronto makes the playoffs i'll ****

Mr. Pistols
07-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I think you will all be surprised. Originally I hated the Ben Gordon signing, but it boosts them. Also CV is better than Sheed these days. Even in the skill set is different, Sheed is old and tanks it.

abe_froman
07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

becauswe if healthy its an eastern powerhouse lineup

abe_froman
07-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Hedo pushes them into the playoffs?? Let me guess this is the year Bargs shows he is number 1 pick material? Oh wait Derozan is the second coming of Jordan right? Sorry man if Toronto makes the playoffs i'll ****

yes he does

dre1990
07-19-2009, 05:55 PM
4th seed at best IMO

Nighthawk
07-19-2009, 05:58 PM
yes he does

Hey, hope never hurt anyone

abe_froman
07-19-2009, 06:01 PM

why would i hope that.i'm a chi fan,my hope is for them to fail and get bosh disgusted enough to leave.but in the east,honestly,that puts you in the playoff mix

faridk89
07-19-2009, 06:11 PM
every1 is forgetting how long the old pistons played with each other, prince, hamilton, wallace, wallace, and billups played together for years, where all 2 way players and had sick chemistry, now they have stucky (downgrade) running the show they just wont be the same imo

JackB
07-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm a Pistons fan . I like what they have done so far. But right now we are at 8 fowards and no real center. I don't believe the Pistons will make the playoffs. The rest of the league has and is getting better. I expected this. As much as I would like to say no doubt we are the 6-8 spot I don't see it happening. I hope this will be a time to see what we have with the young guys. Give them the minutes and see what we have.I don't see both Prince and Hamilton being traded this off season or at the deadline. Hamilton should be first to go. Prince will be used a trade bait next year. If we trade both this year we really don't have much to deal next year. Maxiel could also be included Next off season we'll be back in the hunt for FAs. I'm a realist. I have been through the bad and the good with this team. They all go through it. How long did it take the C's to get another one? 18 years ? It won't be that long for the Pistons.

levignjw
07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions about this pistons team. We are definitely going in a new direction (which is something Dumars has stated he's been wanting to do for quite some time now), and to be honest I do not think he is done yet this offseason. I have to imagine he is going to pull a deal centering around Rip for some type of true C. If not, my expectations for next year are fairly slim.

itsripcity32
07-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Let me guess this is a bulls fan. the real question is if the bulls got any better by losing their best player

gpikula
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Joe is trying to build a team similar to that of the 03-04 team that won it all. IMO, it's not gonna work this time lol

That's funny because I remember Joe D recently said he wasn't trying to build a team similar to the championship team. He specifically said he was trying to build an offensive oriented team because scoring has increased across the league every season since Detroit won it all in 04.

cubulls
07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Let me guess this is a bulls fan. the real question is if the bulls got any better by losing their best player

We still have Derrick Rose...

smith&wesson
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=DitchDat;10195646]However

PG - Stuckey / Bynum
SG - Hamilton / Gordon

i failed to realize how many quality powerforwards they have. they should have traded for a centre instead of a pf. why would they go after cv3 if they have wilcox and maxiel at the 4 and they have basically no one at the 5. k brown = back up ... what the point of having a log jam at the 4.

the team has talent no doubt but i think they are a wrong group of players chemistry wise. for example gordon and hamilton... how are they supose tot co-exist at the 2. its similar to the iverson and hamilton situation.. gordons a starter. hamiltons a starter. i for see problems there.

cv, wilcox, maxiel, who starts ? they are all pretty even. someones going to be disgruntled there. its just weird how dumars has constructed the new pistons. they can be really good on the flip side they can have some seriouse chemistry issues i think.

pebloemer
07-19-2009, 07:17 PM

As a Raptor's fan, I am just unsure what you are saying. The people you are responding to aren't eve posters in the Raptor's forums, so I assume they aren't even fans of the team.

Has any Raptor fan ever said DeRozan would be the second coming of Jordan?

Did any Raptor fan ever say that the addition of Turkoglu puts them in the playoffs?

Has any Raptor fan ever stated Bargnani is worthy of a #1 pick (albeit in a weaker draft)?

There are a lot more contextual factors that could make any person see that Raptor's as a much improved team next year than those two moves.

The team was starved for depth last year and had their starting PG Calderon injured with a severe hamstring injury that he wasn't healed from until closer to the end of the year.

The team had 20 million of payroll assigned to Jermaine Oneal who was injured frequently until the deadline when he was traded.

The team's best player had a few smaller injuries and some major off the court distractions (ex-girlfriend taing him to court about a child).

Andrea Bargnani had a terrible first half of the season but a strong second half after JO was traded. He is not the best player from his draft class (Roy), but is a very productive player that made huge strides on his defense.

The team completely changed philosophy last season when Mitchell was fired and Triano took over.

This summer after a disappointing season (that followed 2 straight seasons in the playoffs), the team signed Turkoglu, the team is healthy, the team gave Triano the job with Iavoroni as the lead assistant (has been lead assistant under D'Antoni and Riley prior). The team looks to be getting Jarret jack as back up PG (much improvement over Ukic and Solomon), the team got another serviceable player in Antoine Wright from Dallas, the team traded Kapono for Evans (the latter two players who can add toughness a team that lacked it), and the team is still looking to bring back Delfino and Rasho for depth.

Not one move puts a team in the playoffs, but I believe a combination of many factors situate the team well enough to do so. Of course many other factors are still to play out (health, chemistry etc.).

Can I ask why you are so adamant that they won't?

MAIZE&BLUE
07-19-2009, 07:19 PM

MAIZE&BLUE
07-19-2009, 07:20 PM
PG - Stuckey / Bynum
SG - Hamilton / Gordon

that's a nice rotation of players to have for any team, and Gordon could be an immediate 6th Man of the Year candidate. Stuckey has been getting better, he's cocky, but he's steadily improving. Prince is an Olympian and one of the league most slept-on star players. Hamilton is still one of the best shooters in the game. Villanueva is improving fast, becoming one of those Rashard Lewis-like inside/outside forwards (which is nice for any team to have).

However, indeed, the losses of Rasheed, McDyess, Amir, Afflalo will hurt them. I don't see why they couldn't make the playoffs though.
Does anyone know if Oberto and Herrmann will stay?

I agree, they could use and upgrade over Kwame Brown, but the guy is trying. I think he played pretty well last year, seeing how much he is considered a bust.

Pistons should get to the playoffs, but they need to add depth to do damage there

Nesterovic??? Did I miss something??

BkOriginalOne
07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
8th or 9th seed.
They're making good solid moves though for the future (they just overpaid for them)

glmaddog57
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
IMO they are not they are the same to me because they need a pass first PG and team players....Billups, Wallace, and Wallace were the heart of the team and those are the 3 they lost.... Villanueva, Gordon, and Stuckey are all shoot first players.... IMO they are not better than CLE, BOS, ORL, ATL, CHA, WAS, PHI, or CHI I dont think they can make the playoffs

Well I am a Piston fan and a loyal one I could careless if they even make the playoffs next year IF Daye and Summers develops and Gordon raises his level of play to what I think he can and villenova progresses as he should, and Kwame has a coming out party and i know that anyone named Kwame hasnt faired well in Detroit(lol). This could be a long nice run for a long time!

itsripcity32
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM

PG - Stuckey / Bynum
SG - Hamilton / Gordon

i failed to realize how many quality powerforwards they have. they should have traded for a centre instead of a pf. why would they go after cv3 if they have wilcox and maxiel at the 4 and they have basically no one at the 5. k brown = back up ... what the point of having a log jam at the 4.

the team has talent no doubt but i think they are a wrong group of players chemistry wise. for example gordon and hamilton... how are they supose tot co-exist at the 2. its similar to the iverson and hamilton situation.. gordons a starter. hamiltons a starter. i for see problems there.

cv, wilcox, maxiel, who starts ? they are all pretty even. someones going to be disgruntled there. its just weird how dumars has constructed the new pistons. they can be really good on the flip side they can have some seriouse chemistry issues i think.

cv is clearly the better player stat wise even though he averaged 26 mins as a buck. cv could produce much more with more minutes.

at 6-10 wicox could be a backup center. but i think maxiel or kwame will be packaged since the pistons have jerebko, daye, and summers who can play backup pfs as rookies.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Naw, when i saw they let go of billups and wallace i was happy as hell cuz that was their core. Now that its broken i don't think they'll be able to fix it for at least a couple years. They spent way too much money on villanueva and BG so im not sure if they can do anything for 2010. They're an at best 7 seed because they no size at all, they're gonna be a bad defensive team.

prodigy
07-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Detroit will be a good solid team, But Not a contender.

wilcoz
charlie
prince
gordon
stuckey

ticked off hamilton

thats not a contending team.

Wilson
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM

That's a good, solid team they have in Toronto. They might not be full blown contenders yet, but they're on their way.

NBA_Starter
07-19-2009, 08:29 PM
If they can co exist if they keep RIP and keep Gordon happy coming off of the bench, I don't see any reason barring injury how they wouldn't make the playoffs!

Lo Porto
07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
+ Gordon and Villanueva and - McDyess, AI and Rasheed

The Pistons have gotten worse so far and they still don't have a consistent post up player.

DetroitRipCity
07-19-2009, 08:52 PM

PG - Stuckey / Bynum
SG - Hamilton / Gordon

1.) we signed CV31 before Wilcox
2.) Wilcox will probably start at C
3.) Rip is probably going to get traded

RangeRat
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I think that Detroit is a good team just not a great team. I do beleive they will be in the playoffs though but depending on opponent will get bounced in the first round again.

I do agree on the point guard issue. We need a pass first kinda guy out there. But the pass first PG and the true C are both the rarest of things these days in the NBA. Hence why teams take risks drafting big guys early due to the fact if they do work out then they really have something.

I am not sure Wilcox is the answer but he is on the team for now so nothing to do but wait and see.

The real issue and the one everyone talks about is why is it Gordon was willing to sign to be a 6 man. Also why we would pay so much for one. There has to be something else going on that we do not see yet.

I loved the Villanueva pick up. I hope he stays with us for the long haul. I think his enthusiasm and openness with the public and fans will be a great asset to the fan base. But the Gordon one only makes sense if we were to move Rip and/or Tay. But then again we may have a longer term plan set in place and may be waiting to move these two, or one of them, mid season. Who really knows.

I am optimistic about two or maybe three of the folks we drafted and had in summer league this year. We really have not had any great draft grabs since Prince IMO. Maxiell just is not a starter and I do not beleive he ever will be. He is a good 7 man and brings great energy to the court.

DetroitRipCity
07-19-2009, 08:59 PM
+ Gordon and Villanueva and - McDyess, AI and Rasheed

The Pistons have gotten worse so far and they still don't have a consistent post up player.

Gordon is 26
CVill is 25
Wilcox is 26

Rasheed is 35
McDyess is 35
AI is 34

Rasheed isnt a center either he spent more time either complaining to the refs or shooting 3s then he did in the paint (in the last couple of years)

AI is a cancer he came in saying I will do anything to win a title but when he got benched he complained about his playing time and then developed a "sore back" that put him out for the season (ive seen Iverson play with worse injuries)

Dyess - I would have loved to have Dyess back gave 150% every game that he played i wish him luck in SA and Spurs fans be happy you have him

J_M_B
07-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Detroit will be fighting for the 8th seed again this year.

1.Boston
2.Magic
3.Cleveland
4.Atlanta
5.Washington
6.Miami
7.Chicago
8.Philadelphia
--------------
9.Charlotte
10.Detriot
11.Indiana