PDA

View Full Version : If Shaq had the drive of Jerry Rice...?

RaiderLakersA's
07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
He'll go down as one of the most dominant centers ever, no doubt. But I wonder if he had the drive of a Jerry Rice -- one of those rare athletes who wasn't naturally blessed with physical skills, but worked 1000 times harder than anyone else, willing himself to the pinnacle of greatness -- would we consider Shaq the greatest to ever play the game of basketball?

kswissdaf
07-18-2009, 11:11 AM
People don't realize how much even the players in the nba Work. Shaq worked his *** off you cant just get by in the NBA with born talent. Its a non stop job

camador22
07-18-2009, 11:33 AM
He'd be the GOAT for sure. To me he's still a top 3 player of all time.

Wilson
07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
People don't realize how much even the players in the nba Work. Shaq worked his *** off you cant just get by in the NBA with born talent. Its a non stop job

It definately is, but Shaq isn't a guy who works all the time like some of his peers. He's shown up for camp overweight too many times.

I don't know if people would rank him ahead of Michael, Magic & Bird, but he'd definately go down as the most unstoppable player of all time.

I don't consider myself a Shaq 'hater' (it's hard to feel that way about someone who brought you three championships), but as it is I don't think he's even the most dominating of his generation anymore. He just didn't work hard enough.

td0tsfinest
07-18-2009, 12:38 PM
shaq works his butt off during the season but takes a backseat during the off season. I remember every season shaq was coming into, he was 20 pounds overweight.

But it is what it is. He's still the most dominant player to ever play the game.

Wilson
07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
shaq works his butt off during the season but takes a backseat during the off season. I remember every season shaq was coming into, he was 20 pounds overweight.

But it is what it is. He's still the most dominant player to ever play the game.

In his prime maybe. Over the course of a career though, he doesn't match up to guys like Wilt, Kareem, Jordan, Duncan and others.

camador22
07-18-2009, 12:47 PM
In his prime maybe. Over the course of a career though, he doesn't match up to guys like Wilt, Kareem, Jordan, Duncan and others.

How old are you? I guess you never seen Shaq in his prime. I could match up with anyone in the history of the NBA. He's ranks probably right after Jordan and Kareem but he could match up any day with those guys in his prime.

Wilson
07-18-2009, 12:52 PM
How old are you? I guess you never seen Shaq in his prime. I could match up with anyone in the history of the NBA. He's ranks probably right after Jordan and Kareem but he could match up any day with those guys in his prime.

Re-read my post. I said that Shaq could possibly compete with those guys as far as pure dominance in his prime. Over the course of their careers is where they beat Shaq though. They were all dominating for longer.

Bausman
07-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I dont think a lot of people understand how rare of a talent Shaq was/is. Look at the history of the NBA... how many players that are 7+ feet and 300+ lbs. have played 15 years in the league? even 10/12 years. This guy is a freak.
People that big dont live too long... and they usually cant take the physical abuse that Shaq has for about 15 years. He coulda easily retired in the last dew years when his career was going down hill but he turned it around and is now looking like he can play a couple/few more years. Please give the man some respect... i wanna watch him and LeBron lose in the finals to Kobe in the race to 5 rings.... after Kobe beats out tim duncan(also going for 5 rings) in the WCF.

RaiderLakersA's
07-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I dont think a lot of people understand how rare of a talent Shaq was/is. Look at the history of the NBA... how many players that are 7+ feet and 300+ lbs. have played 15 years in the league? even 10/12 years. This guy is a freak.
People that big dont live too long... and they usually cant take the physical abuse that Shaq has for about 15 years. He coulda easily retired in the last dew years when his career was going down hill but he turned it around and is now looking like he can play a couple/few more years. Please give the man some respect... i wanna watch him and LeBron lose in the finals to Kobe in the race to 5 rings.... after Kobe beats out tim duncan(also going for 5 rings) in the WCF.

Actually I give Shaq a great deal of respect for what he has accomplished, but Kobe wasn't the only one that questioned his work ethic when he was with the Lakers. PJ questioned it, Rodman questioned it, even going as far back as his Orlando Magic days people have been questioning his "want to."

With a guy like Jerry Rice there was never any doubt. During the season and offseason he was always working on his game. Jerry created training regimens that other great players to this day still use.

I think Shaq took his natural abilities for granted. God blessed him, no doubt. But we're only just now seeing him putting in the work that he should have been putting in when he was younger. That's what extends careers, prowess and fame. He'll go down as one of the best, but I think for him, that's falling short of the mark. His name should have been in the conversation as the GOAT.

alexander_37
07-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Hakeem > Shaq over career and in prime.

dbow1920
07-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Hes the most DOMINANT player of all time IMO already, if he worked even harder i think he would have been the best ever

Lakersfan2483
07-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Hes the most DOMINANT player of all time IMO already, if he worked even harder i think he would have been the best ever

Not even close, he can't touch a prime Wilt or Kareem for that matter. Check out their numbers during their primes and compare them with O'neal's and you will change your tune.

Lakersfan2483
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
He'll go down as one of the most dominant centers ever, no doubt. But I wonder if he had the drive of a Jerry Rice -- one of those rare athletes who wasn't naturally blessed with physical skills, but worked 1000 times harder than anyone else, willing himself to the pinnacle of greatness -- would we consider Shaq the greatest to ever play the game of basketball?

If he had the work ethic and drive, he could have been the greatest center of all time and arguably the top player of all time. His work ethic was poor during the off season.

Lakersfan2483
07-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Actually I give Shaq a great deal of respect for what he has accomplished, but Kobe wasn't the only one that questioned his work ethic when he was with the Lakers. PJ questioned it, Rodman questioned it, even going as far back as his Orlando Magic days people have been questioning his "want to."

With a guy like Jerry Rice there was never any doubt. During the season and offseason he was always working on his game. Jerry created training regimens that other great players to this day still use.

I think Shaq took his natural abilities for granted. God blessed him, no doubt. But we're only just now seeing him putting in the work that he should have been putting in when he was younger. That's what extends careers, prowess and fame. He'll go down as one of the best, but I think for him, that's falling short of the mark. His name should have been in the conversation as the GOAT.

Well said, imagine if O'neal had Jordan, Rice or Kobe's work ethic, he would have been in the convo for greatest of all time easily.

Lakersfan2483
07-19-2009, 05:55 PM
He'd be the GOAT for sure. To me he's still a top 3 player of all time.

He's not ahead of Jordan, Magic, Wilt, Russell, and Kareem. He's in the top ten, but definitely not top 3.

Suns113
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
shaq is one of the greatest of all time, most people realize this other than all lakers fans(this entire forum)

Lakersfan2483 dude get a life people are giving their opinions and your bashing everyone of them.
Shaq hater. And get off kobes nuts

DetroitRipCity
07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
shaq is one of the greatest of all time, most people realize this other than all lakers fans(this entire forum)

Lakersfan2483 dude get a life people are giving their opinions and your bashing everyone of them.
Shaq hater. And get off kobes nuts

Hypocrite

in Red you bashing his opinion
in Blue you telling him not to bash others opinions