PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the NBA... Your Take

shep33
07-18-2009, 05:00 AM
What do you guys think has to change in the NBA... ranging from rules to salaries, or whatever?

-couple things:

1. Change the highschool rule, b/c its making College Ball a little ridiculous. However, the NBA should come up with a program during offseasons for the first 3 years of a player's career. Too many NBA players are getting in trouble or blowing their money now, and having nothing later on.
2. In times of economic and world crises', we got NBA players making an incredible amount of money (same with other sports). I wish the NBA could drop salaries (in general) or just even in harsh times like these. I mean... Anderson Varejao is makin 50 mil over the next 6 years.
3. Continuing off of the last point, NBA players are immensely greedy. I mean imagine if we had 1 out of 10 NBA players be like Dikembe, who puts tens of millions of his own money into building hospitals in his native Congo.
4. How about the NBA champs play the European Champs in a 5 game series? Or have an NBA vs the world allstar game...
5. Someone mentioned this earlier... NBA 1-on-1 at all-star weekend.

shep33
07-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Again, this topic can pertain to anything. Just wondering how the NBA can become better

TheGsw
07-18-2009, 05:05 AM
They should at least let 3 highschool players get drafted in each draft! that would be great!

znick21
07-18-2009, 05:15 AM
there's too many fouls called, it slows the game down and it's turning all the players into whiny b1tches, especially when all they're trying to do is get a call rather than try and actually score. and historic teams should not be allowed to move ie the sonics.

i could go on and on actually.

JiffyMix88
07-18-2009, 05:17 AM
heres a few...
1. dont let the refs associate with the players before or after a game or at all.
2. call the game fair the last two minutes like u would the other 46.
3. suspend players no matter their status as a player in the league.
4. stop with the star status bs calls that the star players get.
5. actually start fining players for flopping like they were suppose to do this year.
6. go back to the old days and take out these :cry: baby touch fouls

Kyle N.
07-18-2009, 05:21 AM
If the game was officiated perfectly, it's amazing how much better it would be.

shep33
07-18-2009, 05:23 AM
there's too many fouls called, it slows the game down and it's turning all the players into whiny b1tches, especially when all they're trying to do is get a call rather than try and actually score. and historic teams should not be allowed to move ie the sonics.

i could go on and on actually.

Totally Agree... This wasn't even a flagrant back in the day (link below). Not saying it should be like this, but too many flagrants are called, and by doing so are not called with consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ

asandhu23
07-18-2009, 05:26 AM
they should take most of the fouls away. only flagrants and similar stuff should be fouls. no touch fouls etc etc. you get me?

Beno7500
07-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Better officiating, no superstar calls, no blood-no foul. dont break up fights.

JabberJaw
07-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Realistically though guys, a game can't be officiated "perfectly". It's impossible. The refs are human. I hate the lousy calls as much as anyone, but it happens for/against every team. It happens in every sport too. Star QB's get touched and it's a personal foul, star hitters strike zones are much smaller than avg., etc... So, when it comes to officiating we aren't going to get too many drastic changes.
I do like the idea of having a nba championship team against a Euro-stars team...or something like that. Also, the 1-on-1 sounds cool as well.

KG2TB
07-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Every league has it's problems. The NBA is no different.

1. It won't happen, but Salaries need to significantly go down.

2. Also won't happen, the first round of the playoffs should go back to being a best of 5.

3. The refs need to let them play a bit more. No one wants to see a free throw shooting contest or star calls while other role players get mugged routinely. Basketball is a physical and finesse game. The way the game is being officiated now, it's more about finesse and less about being physical. I think that's horrible.

4. I think players and coaches should get a vote in awards like MVP, most improved player, all-star game (they might?) ROY etc.

5. As someone else mentioned, 1-1 during the all-star game would be awesome.

asandhu23
07-18-2009, 06:55 AM
NBA finals should be only 1 game. just like superbowl

tcav701
07-18-2009, 08:13 AM
The biggest problem that will never change is officiating. A foul for a "superstar" is not a foul for a role player. For example, Ginobli does not get hit anymore now than he did when he first entered the league. The difference is fans embrace and cheer for the guy now and he gets more calls. Is that a coincidence? You see it with many players. I bet Durant and Rose will get more calls next year because jersey sales are going up on those players. How many goal tends did Dwight have in the post season? Way more than what was actually called. I'm not saying everything should be a foul or that nothing should be a foul but a foul for the king should be the same as a foul Miki Moore. (avgs a foul every four mins) And if coaches stick up for their guys they get fined. Its a conspiracy coming for the league offices and enforced through the officials. To many people accept it as NBA law and that is the main problem with the league.

tcav701
07-18-2009, 08:17 AM
am i gonna get fined for that post?

prodigy
07-18-2009, 08:27 AM
first off, AV is makin 42 mill, over six years not 50. He won't get the incentives so don't count them. little over 7mill, Not that much in sports these days. dude from the magic is getting pretty much the same and he see's like 5min a game backing up howard. But do you talk about that one? noooo lets bash cleveland.

The problem I have with the NBA, is to many fouls called. Its also very inconsistant. You can hardly touch someone outside and get called for a foul. Then a guy gets raped down low and nothin. Just gets stupid after awhile.

SiteWolf
07-18-2009, 08:35 AM
the 'Jordan Rules' have GOT to go......as has been said, calls canNOT be made according to WHO is involved- if it's a foul, it's a foul...it's not a foul just because Kobe had the ball or because the game is at Staples.

Travelling- call it or take the rule off the books!

Quit calling lame ticky tack fouls but letting guys like Shaq run over guys with no call. Mainly, quit calling lame ticky tack fouls. If my fingertip touches your elbow while you're holding the ball, it is NOT a foul.

I'd love to see flopping dealt with somehow, but at the same time I don't want refs making even more subjective calls.

Is it time the 3 point line was moved back a bit more?

Bruno
07-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Floppers get rewarded way too frequently. It should be a lot harder to get a charge call.

KB24PG16
07-18-2009, 11:05 PM
there should be more players like mike james, kwame brown, and marc blount

Paulliwali
07-18-2009, 11:48 PM
there should be more players like mike james, kwame brown, and marc blount

LOL The NBA will be DONE!! :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Better officiating, no superstar calls, no blood-no foul. dont break up fights.

You must love hockey lol

Daze9900
07-19-2009, 12:01 AM
They need to rid of the zone defense and relax the perimeter touch foul rule. I would also like to see the NBDL expand into a legitimate minor league similar to baseballs farm system. You could relax the age limit there, and give athletes an alternative to college or running off to olympiakos or whatever that is, and give teams an edge in the season when injuries hit.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-19-2009, 12:08 AM
1) They should allow players to come out of high school, BUT if they decide to go to college they have to be there at least two years.

2) Some way some how, take out flopping from the NBA. I mean, even Shaq flopped this year. Thats when you know things are bad.

3) Less foul calls altogether. This game is getting to ticy tac (i have no idea how to spell that word).

4) They should extend the court's width because players only have like a foot and a half to work with in a corner 3.

5) Lower player salaries. Idoits like Eric Dampier, Marc Blount, and Anderson Verajo don't deserve so much money.

ko8e24
07-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Separate the NBA from ESPN Permanently

mdabstar
07-19-2009, 12:09 AM
i think that refs favor the superstars way too much. thats something that needs to be changed in the nba. once they get a little contact, refs blow the whistle to call the foul right away. if the same play happens with an average player, they wont call the foul.

ko8e24
07-19-2009, 12:13 AM
oh, most important of all......

Officially bring back the NBA ON NBC!

F ABC, F Mike Breen and Stuart Scott and Jon Barry and Mike Wilbon (to an extent), bring back Bob Costas, Doug Collins, Marv Albert on NBC, more of Kevin Harlan on TNT, more Charles Barkley.

Bring back the All-Star Game on NBC and have more frequent player interviews when they were doing warm-ups, some interviews of the ACTUAL PLAYERS during the game, more fancy and innovative stuff needed in the all-star game.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, NOSTALGIA!!!!!!

phxman22
07-19-2009, 12:13 AM
i say no more east and west just the best 16 teams go to the playoffs. imagine spurs vs lakers in the finals or celtics vs cavs.

taco917
07-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Another thing that i think may be a good idea is have some sort of "Challenge Call" like they have in the nfl. Numerous times i see some incorrect calls late in games etc. Maybe they should have like 2 "challenges" per quarter or something Where they allow you to go back and replay a certain play, be it a foul, or some sort of violation. It couldnt hurt i guess.

ko8e24
07-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Bring Back The Dunk Contest and have Legit Judges and Dunkers. No more easy 10s. No more crappy Howard and Nate dunks with stupid props like the higher basket and stupid Superman phonebooth (makes it way too childish and it seems like we're watching a stupid circus show). there should be 8 dunkers, not 4. take away that stupid competition with nba current, nba legend and wnba players. Make it that 3 on 3 battle, or bring in a 1-on-1 tournament, take away the ghetto skills challenge competition, there should be 8 competitors in 3 pt shootout, and they should be the best of the best.

spacemandave
07-19-2009, 12:26 AM
lower salaries would be nice but...
need fewer nba teams so they are each better and the players that cant cut it in the smaller nba can play in the nbdl, still put on a show for fans(perhaps in cities where the nba teams folded) and get playing time so they can be nba ready.

and dont need players *****ing to refs every play or any play for that matter, the things they complain about are 9 times out of 10 wrong anyway.

DerekRE_3
07-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Less fouls.

daleja424
07-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Less fouls.

how about more consistent calls instead. I have no problem with the # but I just want a guy like jeff green to get the same calls as lebron...

bogdanrom
07-19-2009, 12:59 AM
heres a few...
1. dont let the refs associate with the players before or after a game or at all.
5. actually start fining players for flopping like they were suppose to do this year.

I agree with your whole post but the bolded ones especially. But most of the things we want changed will never happen because the NBA is unfortunately a business. The most important in a business is to market its product so it can more and more money.

NYtilIdie
07-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Bring Back The Dunk Contest and have Legit Judges and Dunkers. No more easy 10s. No more crappy Howard and Nate dunks with stupid props like the higher basket and stupid Superman phonebooth (makes it way too childish and it seems like we're watching a stupid circus show). there should be 8 dunkers, not 4. take away that stupid competition with nba current, nba legend and wnba players. Make it that 3 on 3 battle, or bring in a 1-on-1 tournament, take away the ghetto skills challenge competition, there should be 8 competitors in 3 pt shootout, and they should be the best of the best.

You should just stop watching All-Star weekend altogether you got so many damn complaints about it. Drop HORSE and do a 1-1 like you mentioned. Fine floppers, more accurate fouls not the "you touched him FOUL" let them play ball these are guys who weigh 200+ pounds we don't need the refs babying them like it's little league.

DerekRE_3
07-19-2009, 01:15 AM
how about more consistent calls instead. I have no problem with the # but I just want a guy like jeff green to get the same calls as lebron...

It just seems like the refs don't let players play defense. The offensive player can create all of the contact and still draw the foul. And I do agree with you, that no matter who you are, it should be called the same way.

Kings Faithful
07-19-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't know how they would do it... but they need to find a way to fix the "shot didn't leave his hands before the buzzer, but it still counts because the refs weren't paying attention". When the Kings lost that game against the Spurs because of that it made me sick.

Sean McG
07-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm not sure how, but a way to change the last 40 seconds of a close game. Constant timeouts and intentional fouls make me stop watching and waiting 2 hours to come back and see what finally happened. Maybe intentional fouls should result in the team getting a free throw and then getting the ball back. Maybe shorten the shot clock during the last minute of the game.

JiffyMix88
07-19-2009, 03:19 AM
You should just stop watching All-Star weekend altogether you got so many damn complaints about it. Drop HORSE and do a 1-1 like you mentioned. Fine floppers, more accurate fouls not the "you touched him FOUL" let them play ball these are guys who weigh 200+ pounds we don't need the refs babying them like it's little league.

yeah they were suppose to fine players for flopping this year but i didnt hear about one guy getting fined... and if i see ne more of the fouls that lebron ran into dwight when dwight went straight up ima slap me a ref... in that scenario they shouldnt have called nething and just kept the game going

Kings Faithful
07-19-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure how, but a way to change the last 40 seconds of a close game. Constant timeouts and intentional fouls make me stop watching and waiting 2 hours to come back and see what finally happened. Maybe intentional fouls should result in the team getting a free throw and then getting the ball back. Maybe shorten the shot clock during the last minute of the game.

I don't agree with that. The game needs to play the same all the way through... rules shouldn't change based on how much time is on the clock. "Oh! 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter! The double points rule comes into effect!" "3 minutes left in the first quarter! the 3 point line becomes the 10 point line!"

_KB24_
07-19-2009, 04:53 AM
I got one that will DRASTICALLY change the NBA. Get off Lebron's dick and make the league equal for all players.

pippsux
07-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Good topic.

The officiating is sub standard at best. Why not hire former players to ref. Not every player becomes superstars, coaches or GM's. I think a guy who has played in the league can call a game better than the old farts who have their own agendas.

Traveling and flopping have become league wide diseases. Why bother having rules if a guy can take multiple steps to get to the basket? Or a guy weighing in xs of 240 lbs goes flying to the ground like a 100lbs super model w/o much contact.

azkarraga
07-19-2009, 05:20 AM
yeah, calls should we equal, no matter who commits them. defenses should be alloud to defend, like in the 80's. And we should go back before handshaking was allowed.

rufo4100
07-19-2009, 09:50 AM
What do you guys think has to change in the NBA... ranging from rules to salaries, or whatever?

-couple things:

1. Change the highschool rule, b/c its making College Ball a little ridiculous. However, the NBA should come up with a program during offseasons for the first 3 years of a player's career. Too many NBA players are getting in trouble or blowing their money now, and having nothing later on.
2. In times of economic and world crises', we got NBA players making an incredible amount of money (same with other sports). I wish the NBA could drop salaries (in general) or just even in harsh times like these. I mean... Anderson Varejao is makin 50 mil over the next 6 years.
3. Continuing off of the last point, NBA players are immensely greedy. I mean imagine if we had 1 out of 10 NBA players be like Dikembe, who puts tens of millions of his own money into building hospitals in his native Congo.
4. How about the NBA champs play the European Champs in a 5 game series? Or have an NBA vs the world allstar game...

Basically your saying the NBA has greedy players...not true. NBA earns tons of money...its only right to pay the players what they deserve. We are the ones who watch their games, buy tickets, jerseys etc...

As for the high school rule here is my solution. Let players come to the NBA right from high school if they get a guarantee from a lottery team. Otherwise they must committ to 2 years of college ball. No 1 and done...that is silly. 2 and done is ok with me. Or 1 year of college and 1 year of overseas etc....

As for the all star changes...I dont like them. It should be all about NB players...not Europe. The 1 on 1 idea is interesting. I say bring back the legends game!

knickerbockerny
07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
This may sound a bit biased since I'm a Knicks fan, but the NBA needs teams like the Knicks to be in a winning position every year!!!

SlaterRaps
07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
This may sound a bit biased since I'm a Knicks fan, but the NBA needs teams like the Knicks to be in a winning position every year!!!

are you kidding me? you are saying a team should just be put in a winning position with no effort? do you even know how basketball works

jakesmail123
07-19-2009, 02:06 PM
if a shooter pump fakes and gets someone off of their feet and then LEANS in to them to get a call, dont call it! there shouldnt be a defensive foul if a shooter initiates the contact on a ******* jumpshot.

also what knickerbockerny said, the nba is already like that. teams like the lakers celtics and the knicks are favored by the nba IMO cuz of the market they have.
just look at the lakers kings playoff series in 2002. check out game six. ridiculous.
when asked what his dream finals was david stern said "lakers vs lakers"

Wilson
07-19-2009, 02:17 PM

-couple things:

I would love that. Some sort of real competition between American and European clubs would be great for international basketball.

DetroitRipCity
07-19-2009, 02:28 PM
heres a few...

I could not agree more with these three i am so sick of watching Lebron and Kobe get all these calls that refs wont give to others. and number #3 shaqs flagrant foul on rodney stuckey earlier in the season damn near took his head off and what does he get a flagrant 1 gimme a break

Wilson
07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Officiating is the obvious problem when it comes to the NBA. I mean Joey Crawford generally gets more important games, but when's the last time anyone saw him call a fair game? He always doesn one of three things:

Calls 15+ more free throws for one team,
Throws a few people out of the game for no reason, or
Does a complete 180 in the fourth quarter, as far as how he's officiating the game

Very frustrating. Don't expect a fair game when he's in there.

Also, Bennett Salvatore? He's SO OLD! He can't keep up with the game (how on earth could he?)! As a result, he consistently makes calls which make no sense.

There's a few others whose names I forget, but I don't think I really need to convince anyone.

The biggest problem is how they arrange officiating for the play-offs. They grade officials individually throughout a season, and put the highest graded ones together in the play-offs.

That makes NO SENSE!!! Why let one crew work through the season, gain a ton of chemistry, and then split them up for the most important games?! The guys working in the post-season are still getting used to each other, which explains the rise in questionable and flat out awful calls in the play-offs.

Aapox
07-19-2009, 05:24 PM
How about, CALL A ****ING TRAVELING FOR ONCE!!!!! There is a travel, no joke, about once every NBA possession. It's a joke how much these players get away with it for the sake of scoring praise and fan involvement. It's not real basketball and I hate it.

Lakers211221
07-19-2009, 05:54 PM
1. Allow more contact without blowing the whistle (like in the 80s and earlier)
2. A foul is a foul regardless of who is committing the foul and who it is on (Same thing with technicals...example: Mutumbo shakes his finger after a block, Jordan got a technical after he blocke Mutumbo and shook his finger...how is that right?)
3. If something is a suspendable offense, it doesn't matter who committs the act or if it is the playoffs when it happens
4. Get rid of the certain amount of technicals = automatic suspension rule
5. Signing bonuses count toward salary cap
6. Remove Jeff Van Gundy as a commentator

Me-You_
07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Name the top 10 players in the NBA?

Now how many of them came from High School?

Change the rule back!

faridk89
07-19-2009, 06:18 PM
1. uh change the salary cap rules, forget the exceptions and such, i love how the lakers and big name teams get to spend a TON more then any other team

2. also hate the fact that vets are allowed to refuse to play for a team, get bought out, then go to a contending team for the min....what a joke

IrespectNumber3
07-19-2009, 06:21 PM
1) If you played for the team that is competing against another team. Or have a direct relationship with a player on the opposing team. You should not be able to be a commentator before or during the game speeches. Unless another commentator equally has the same relationship and favors the opposing team. For EX. Magic Johnson's opinions during the Magic series, makes the fans not even want to watch the game.

2) The Salary Cap needs to be fixed. I don't know how it can happen. But each player should be able to make decent pay and play for a team instead of having one or 2 options.

3) The team that was closest to the 9th seed should get the most amount of pin pong balls. This would encourage winning so that good young teams like Memphis, OKLA and the Clipps can stop milking a decade worth of draft picks and just hurry up and develop the players they have and get into the playoffs.

4) Questionable fouls need to be reviewed call or no call. When Kobe elbowed Artest the foul should've been reviewed at Artest request. This would calm players down and assure then if they get hit, they don't have to take further actions.

5) When a player gets dunked on gets and AND 1 or body is on the ground after and 1. He has to get benched before returning to the court.

kidfury
07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
3) The team that was closest to the 9th seed should get the most amount of pin pong balls. This would encourage winning so that good young teams like Memphis, OKLA and the Clipps can stop milking a decade worth of draft picks and just hurry up and develop the players they have and get into the playoffs.

Tanking for a high lottery pick should in no way be encouraged and most people would agree it does happen

One other thing about the superstar treatment when it comes to fouls, the 'stars' get a lot of calls going their way BUT they also are whining for calls a lot more, at least from my view point. No one should be able to influence a referee's decision during a game whether it's a good or a bad call. I think any whining or complaining should be an automatic technical... players/coaches would hate it initially but would get used to after a bit. I know no one wants to see more foul calls but I think no one likes to see whining from 'superstars' either.

DJ CHACH
07-19-2009, 07:05 PM
heres a few...

amen ken yehee ratzon

smith&wesson
07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
1. REF'S (let the players play stop trying to be apart of the game soo much. they arent perfect but ALOT of calls are questionable specially during crucial moments in the game like the last 2 mins.

2. what is a flagrant foul ? make it clear. the players them selves dont know what is and what isnt a flagrant foul.

3. stop throwing players out of games. unless they fight or somthing. a hard foul is a hard foul. if kobe is scoring 80 points against your team you shouldnt be afraid to put him on his *** the next time he tries to drive the lane. give the defender a tech.. dont throw him out. Artest being ejected because he is pissed off about a kobe elbow should NOT be an ejection.

4. horse at the all star game any one ?

5. someone else mentioned this already but one on one would be sick .. or even two on two.

6. stop glorifying players who havent actually proved theyre greatness yet. cough lebron cough... dont get me wrong he is amazing and we love to watch him BUT tell me how a high school kid is labled the king before he even bounced a ball on an NBA court. as far as im concerned he hasnt done anything more then carmelo and wade and he is considered to be the best along side kobe. thats not cool . wade = 1 ring. lebron = 1 final apearance. carmelo = 1 conference finals. how is lebron better then either guy ?? We can all say whos better or worst based on our opinions but to glorify one player that hasnt won a ring is wrong because other players deserve respect too.

Westbrook36
07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Please no..I want the NBA to stay in the U.S and thats all.

smith&wesson
07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
please no..i want the nba to stay in the u.s and thats all.

and canada = D

Wilson
07-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Having NBA teams play against European teams would be difficult to adjust to, but it could only make basketball stronger over here. Since pro players started playing in the Olympics, international basketball has exploded. Having meaningfull games between our clubs (well, the good Spanish ones at least) and yours could only make basketball as a sport stronger.

vash9
07-19-2009, 08:23 PM
The only honest problem i see with the NBA is just the praising of players.

Best examples obviously: Lebron and Kobe. I mean of course, yes, possibly and only the best players in the League. The NBA praises them like they are legitimate walking gods on the court. Of course, it's for the money, but if the NBA was really like how it used to be back then (well sort of), they would just focus on basketball and that way, bandwagons wouldn't really be in basketball.

I mean there are other pretty great players out there who are shadowed by the praise of LBJ and KB24. DWade, i'm not sure if he is or he isn't praised, but where i live, a bandwagon basic community, don't know any other teams besides the teams who make it to the NBA Finals. DWade is amazing. Why don't i see him on poster boards besides "Got Milk?" and on T-Mobile Commercials?

Al Jefferson, an amazing center. Not the best, but i consider him top notch. Why isn't even he mentioned in newspapers about an outstanding game?

You get where i'm going with this.

I mean, maybe it's only where i live that i have this rant, but it has to be true right?

KnicksR4Real
07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
High School Rule is pretty bad, fix up the all star weekend