View Full Version : Dubielewicz signs with wild; Backstrom Backup

flyers1618
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284911

Hopefully he'll be as good a back up as harding

KJL
07-18-2009, 06:33 PM
...Hopefully he'll be as good a back up as harding

That's if he gets a chance to back him up. Harding has to get traded before Wade gets to put his *** on the bench.

What is interesting about the move is what this means for Josh Harding. You would have to assume that Wade's signing means the Wild are thinking about trading Harding. The question becomes who do you trade him to? I don't see any natural trade partners in the East unless Dipietro is done for good on the Island. Colorado would be a safe trade partner in the West but may see what they can get out of Craig Anderson this year before they pull the trigger on a deal. A dangerous but natural trade partner may be Detroit who needs their goaltender of the future sooner rather than later. But I'm sure the last thing Minnesota wants is Harding to come back to haunt them annually in the playoffs.

boeknows
07-19-2009, 01:25 AM
I would say we are going to keep all 3 until someone goes down in the middle of the season on another team. We will probably try trading Harding then and getting something pretty good

flyers1618
07-19-2009, 02:32 AM
probably try trading Harding then and getting something pretty good

Yeah, i think this signing means harding is out. If you already have backstrom and harding why would you sign dubielewicz? Harding is good trade bait. He could go pittsburgh because they don't have a good backup signed yet (to my believe), tampa bay ( because mike smith isn't that strong of a starting goalie and harding could beat him out), or calgary (because mika needs a break every once in awhile)

KJL
07-19-2009, 06:06 AM
...He could go pittsburgh because they don't have a good backup signed yet (to my believe), tampa bay ( because mike smith isn't that strong of a starting goalie and harding could beat him out), or calgary (because mika needs a break every once in awhile)

Pittsburgh has John Curry who is an RFA - I don't think the team is going to commit significant dollars to the backup position because they are very comfortable with Fleury.

Calgary is not an ideal situation for Harding because he is ready to challenge for a starting position on a team and Kipper is clearly the number 1 - could cause chemistry issues and the Flames won't want that.

There is some possibility in Tampa but I think the teams most interested in a #1a goalie include Chicago, Detroit, and the NYI (depending on Dipietro's health). Unfortunately I'm sure the Wild don't want to trade Harding to either Chicago or Detroit. If Anderson doesn't work out in Colorado they may be looking for a goalie and you have to wonder how many years Brodeur has left in New Jersey. Ottawa may be in the market for some goaltending depth because of Pascal Leclaire's injury history - btw they have been trying to trade Dany Heatly. :) Obviously it wouldn't be a straight up deal. Though a long shot if Varlamov was a flash in the pan Washington may be looking for another goalie come Christmas time.

Actually the more I think about it he could be the heir to Brodeurs thrown. Jacques Lemaire knows him, and likes him from the reports I have read, and the Devils don't really have anyone in the pipeline or backup depth at the moment. Would be a solid move for the Devils.

KJL
07-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm a bit of a Josh Harding fan and I can't get his situation out of my head. I think a very interesting possibility would be to include him in a package for Dany Heatly - assuming Heatly will waive his no movement clause to go to the twin cities. Harding would be a good depth move for Ottawa who currently has Pascal Leclaire as their starting goalie. As good as Leclaire is his injury problems should be a real concern for the Sens. If Minnesota adds Pierre-Marc Bouchard to the package they easily have enough cap space for Heatly. With one other player the Wild have put together a package at least as good as Edmonton's offer of Penner, Cogliano, and Smid. Obviously with Heatly the team would have a very formidable top line of Havlat-Koivu-Heatly. Might be worth a serious think?

flyers1618
07-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Actually the more I think about it he could be the heir to Brodeurs thrown. Jacques Lemaire knows him, and likes him from the reports I have read, and the Devils don't really have anyone in the pipeline or backup depth at the moment. Would be a solid move for the Devils.

If that's the case i'd love for him to go to new jersey. Not because Harding is bad but i'm tired of Brodeur and harding would be easier to play 6 times a year. When is martin going to call it quits?

As for going to ottawa, that's not bad thinking. But from what i've seen, it doesn't look lie heatley is going anywhere other than edmonton. Which is good for ottawa because they haven't had two lines for awhile. Havlat-Koivu-Heatly would be an amazing first line. Maybe add Burns. Just saying him because if ottawa was looking at smid they're probably looking for a young d-man. By the way, KJL, who are you a fan of? just wondering

KJL
07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
...By the way, KJL, who are you a fan of? just wondering

I'm a fan of players - the only team I have an allegience to is the Minnesota Vikings.

I like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Carolina because my hockey pool team is built around Fleury, Toews, and Ward. But if any of those guys left those teams I wouldn't care about the teams so much. I have Cammalleri and Gomez in the pool as well but I will NEVER like the Habs.

flyers1618
07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
^^ Alright, that makes sense. I was asking because i didn't really see you favoring any team in particular.

boeknows
07-21-2009, 05:06 AM
If that's the case i'd love for him to go to new jersey. Not because Harding is bad but i'm tired of Brodeur and harding would be easier to play 6 times a year. When is martin going to call it quits?

As for going to ottawa, that's not bad thinking. But from what i've seen, it doesn't look lie heatley is going anywhere other than edmonton. Which is good for ottawa because they haven't had two lines for awhile. Havlat-Koivu-Heatly would be an amazing first line. Maybe add Burns. Just saying him because if ottawa was looking at smid they're probably looking for a young d-man. By the way, KJL, who are you a fan of? just wondering

I really doubt that we trade away Burns since he is our best defenseman.

flyers1618
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I really doubt that we trade away Burns since he is our best defenseman.

True, how about Schultz or Johnsson?

JBoog35
07-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I like him in New Jersey, a sign and trade of both players, but essentially, a swap of Travis Zajac and Josh Harding. Both have very good potential. I'd say Harding has a higher ceiling, but Minny get's a #2 Center in Zajac and Lemaire get's his goalie for the future.

Slavik
07-21-2009, 11:29 PM
There were talks that Harding was going to be dealt earlier in the off-season, and I think the Dubielewicz signing almost confirms that.

I would like to see a deal with Chicago. Maybe Harding and Johnsson for Sharp and a bottom D-man?

flyers1618
07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Maybe Harding and Johnsson for Sharp and a bottom D-man?

I think the hawks could get Harding and Johnsson for just Sharp. Minnesota needs some offense. Also, Harding would be a much needed backup in Chicago. Nothing against crawford