PDA

View Full Version : Odom likely to sign with Miami by weeks end!

Pages : [1] 2

Raph12
07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
It seems likely that Lamar Odom could sign a five-season deal with the Miami Heat at the mid-level exception ($5.8 million for next season and $34 million or so for the length of the contract) by the end of the week.

Thoughts and ideas?

EDIT: Sorry here's the link!
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2009/07/odom-to-miami.html

974life
07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Why would he take that if the lakers were offering more! If he takes it, the heat will be better but not great. He's a great 6th man and just a good starter.

MoBASS
07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Doubt he'll do it. But if so, then he's a ****ing dumb***.

theimortalone
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Thoughts and ideas?

you need a link so mods don't lock this thread :)

RyderRyfle
Wow.

ttam68
Key words:

1. seems
2. likely
3. could

ertanozgur
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
i wonder what is happening in the meeting rooms in la ...it is really weird...ariza went to houston for the same money that the lakers offered him . he chosed a team who lost two superstar to the injury in stead of the biggest championship conterder....and now odem is rejecting bigger money and choosing less money...it really sounds interesting to me

ManRam
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Link???

If he does leave LA, I'll be ecstatic. I'm really, really, really hoping he does.

NYMetros
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Link or GTFO :)

NYMetros
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Why would he take that if the lakers were offering more! If he takes it, the heat will be better but not great. He's a great 6th man and just a good starter.

The Lakers wanted to give 4 years at most, Odom wanted 5. Apparently, Miami is giving 5 :shrug:

CELTICS4LYFE
07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
link or gtfo :)

how polite lol

Raidaz4Life
07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I will laugh when he does. He and Ariza are complete morons

BALLER71
07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
:love: Pat Riley. That's a big **** you to the Lakers.

Wilson

I read somewhere that the money he gets is essentially the same. He loses much more of the money LA would give him through taxes and stuff. The main thing bothering him was the legnth of the contract, which is where Miami came through for him.

If this is true, I'm going to miss seeing him in a Laker jersey, but the Lakers can live without him. Josh Powell is a fine back-up PF, but it puts more pressure on Andrew Bynum. He can't be committing stupid fouls anymore, and he needs to get that knee healthy.

mikantsass
Its a good signing for both parties.

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
The storey posted is true, I read it on a Laker beat writers twitter.

http://twitter.com/ramonashelburne

kswissdaf
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
OMG if tis happens ill jizz in my pants and then heard we might trade Haselm and D wright for Boozer. GETTING Boozer w/o trading Beasley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BALLER71
07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Wade, Beasley, Odom, Boozer.
I jizzed.

974life
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
The Lakers wanted to give 4 years at most, Odom wanted 5. Apparently, Miami is giving 5 :shrug:

But LA was offering more money per season. I think LA was offering upto 9 mil a season. This may just be smoke and mirrors to get his percieved value from multiple sources, and then the lakers might counter.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
That is NOT an acceptable source. Someone close this. When I saw the title I got a little happy. Then I see the crap source that this came from... USELESS! and the quote says likely and could... still could be trying to extort LA... I wanna see some ink on a deal before I get too happy

SouljahPhil...
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
link???

974life
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I read somewhere that the money he gets is essentially the same. He loses much more of the money LA would give him through taxes and stuff. The main thing bothering him was the legnth of the contract, which is where Miami came through for him.

If this is true, I'm going to miss seeing him in a Laker jersey, but the Lakers can live without him. Josh Powell is a fine back-up PF, but it puts more pressure on Andrew Bynum. He can't be committing stupid fouls anymore, and he needs to get that knee healthy.

Josh Powell might be the worst active player on the team, I cant stand his non-effort when he plays.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
But LA was offering more money per season. I think LA was offering upto 9 mil a season. This may just be smoke and mirrors to get his percieved value from multiple sources, and then the lakers might counter.

It's to do with taxes. Lamar would lose more through taxes in LA than in Miami, so the amount he's actually getting in his pocket may be about the same.

BALLER71
07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
It's to do with taxes. Lamar would lose more through taxes in LA than in Miami, so the amount he's actually getting in his pocket may be about the same.

And a longer contract, of course.

dwadefan03
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
maybe he just wants to play with wade becase hes sick of kobe. he said he would like to come back to miami.

jimbobjarree

willllssssoooonnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYYCowboys
I think the Heat are legit contenders now, but still probably 4th best in the East after Cleveland, Boston and Orlando.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Josh Powell might be the worst active player on the team, I cant stand his non-effort when he plays.

Effort? He attacks offensive boards better than anyone else on the team. His only effort problem is when he tries to do too much.

I'm not saying he's as good as or better than Lamar, because he's not. He is a fine role player though, and if Andrew gets healthier, then all we need behind him and Pau is a fine role player.

FNM BOY
07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
All you Lakers fans hating on Odom are just mad its a possiblity he is leaving because you know what that means for your team...hahahahah...You hate to admit it but it would hurt you guys. Maybe they just hate Kobe's guts and dont wanna be around him...He and Ariza...hahahah....Hopeful the mental patient Artest doesnt disappoint:D

Wilson
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
And a longer contract, of course.

Absolutely, I mentioned that in my first post of this thread :p

willllssssoooonnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jiiiiiimmboooooooobbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to watch Cast Away :)

974life
07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I think the Heat are legit contenders now, but still probably 4th best in the East after Cleveland, Boston and Orlando.

Really, what have they done?

ManRam
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I googled the phrase in the original post...

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=4581

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/

prodigy
07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
lol at artest now. I thought a big part of going to LA was to be with his good friend odom.

huge loss for the lakers, when odom was on, they were unbeatable. the heat will be good, But they still lack in so many areas to be a contender.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I googled the phrase in the original post...

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=4581

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/

all this points to one beat writer...a guy who used the terms LIKELY and COULF. This is all premature!

MaHaRaJaH

he did not Adjust to the 6th man role that well..he was a Good Role filler when Bynum was out.

Raph12
Sorry guys just posted the link on the 1st page but if too lazy to go back; http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2009/07/odom-to-miami.html

974life
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Lamar is better on the these lakers because of how the team was built. It would be a big loss but im not sold that he will leave a Championship team.

tland22
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
there is no chance of this....this is BOGUS. Why on earth would he do that, when lakers offering atleast 8mill per year. Lamar wants to lose over 2 mill per year just to "stick it to the Lakers" ?? No way, thats 8 million total over the contract he would be losing. NO WAY he will sign for that.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
If Miami signs him I'll put them 4th or 5th in the East. Though if they also get Boozer for Haslem and James Jones they are legit contenders in the East, but aren't favorites to come out of the east.

Chalmers/Beverly
Wade/Cook
Odom/Moon
Boozer/Beasley
O'Neal/Magloire

That's a pretty good team

SouljahPhil...
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
An opinion by 1 writer..lol

Wilson
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
there is no chance of this....this is BOGUS. Why on earth would he do that, when lakers offering atleast 8mill per year. Lamar wants to lose over 2 mill per year just to "stick it to the Lakers" ?? No way, thats 8 million total over the contract he would be losing. NO WAY he will sign for that.

Again, the losses Lamar would suffer in LA through taxes level it out. Also, Miami are offering more years, which means more money.

clutchski
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
JO will be crappy this year..10 and 7 I'd bet my money on. Getting Odom would be a huge boost alongside Wade to really get them into the playoffs. I don't know about contenders though as one poster said.

Wade_County
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
If all these signing and trade go down is Miami the fav in the east? NO!!!

But guess what where the magic the favs last year? Nope.

A starting lineup of

pg: Chalmer
sg: Wade
SF: Odom
PF: Boozer
C: JO

and throw Beasley in the mix, Miami will contend, not the favs but will contend. I aslo believe if they do sign Odom and get Boozer, you will sell some kinda of veteran PG added to the mix.

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 12:38 PM
If Miami signs him I'll put them 4th or 5th in the East. Though if they also get Boozer for Haslem and James Jones they are legit contenders in the East, but aren't favorites to come out of the east.

Chalmers/Beverly
Wade/Cook
Odom/Moon
Boozer/Beasley
O'Neal/Magloire

That's a pretty good team

That team is better than the Cavs.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
JO will be crappy this year..10 and 7 I'd bet my money on. Getting Odom would be a huge boost alongside Wade to really get them into the playoffs. I don't know about contenders though as one poster said.

Jermaine O'Neal has been working with Tim Groove who worked with Dwyane Wade last season to get him back to All Star caliber form. O'Neal has devoted this off season to get healthy and in shape. Not saying JO is getting back to All Star form, but I wouldn't be surprise if he can put up 15 and 7 and help Miami down low in the post which they lack in. Though I wouldn't be surprise if he put up 10 and 7 like you said.

Wade_County
07-16-2009, 12:42 PM
plus maybe Odom would rather live in Miami and start, then live in LA and be the 6th man.

tland22
07-16-2009, 12:46 PM

EastCoastBaller
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
If this is true the Lakers well probably have the worst bench.

Farmar
Sasha
Walton
Powell
Mbenga

hahahahaha

JordansBulls
07-16-2009, 12:50 PM

Maybe his ploy was that he doesn't want to stay with the Lakers. That's probably why he wanted $10 million as that would have been the only way he stayed with LA.

Not sure though, but it seems people always was talking about him and calling him names all the time. Some days people wanted him there, but a lot of times people would say they wanted him out. Also he know he will start in Miami while only being a 6th man in LA.

zezak
07-16-2009, 12:53 PM

The Heat would give Lamar a 5 year deal instead of a 4 year deal, also do you know anything about state taxes? Stop writing you have no idea what your talking about.

masalex1205
07-16-2009, 12:54 PM

read the thread, there is an extra year and taxes make up the rest

BIG BIG loss for LA, they won't repeat now

kbaxter34
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Again, the losses Lamar would suffer in LA through taxes level it out. Also, Miami are offering more years, which means more money.

The Heat would give Lamar a 5 year deal instead of a 4 year deal, also do you know anything about state taxes? Stop writing you have no idea what your talking about.

read the thread, there is an extra year and taxes make up the rest

BIG BIG loss for LA, they won't repeat now

Not so. The California Income tax rate is 10.3 % for income over $1,000,001. If the Lakers offered 9mil then that would be 8.073mil after state taxes. Thats a difference of 2.273mil a year or 9.092mil over 4 years. Even with the 5th year that Miami is offering he would still make 3mil more in less years. Thats a large chunk of cash to turn down. Not to mention that LA just signed one of his best friends. This is all leverage for Odom to get the contract length that he wants. There is no chance the he leaves the Lakers for the MLE

what54!?
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Lets get him and boozer. A.I. can come too if he's about winning. wade should be happy then.

kbaxter34
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Lets get him and boozer. A.I. can come too if he's about winning. wade should be happy then.

Thats a big IF

Wade_County
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I cant understand all these people saying there is no chance of him leaving the lakers. Maybe he wants to start and not come off the BENCH.

Regardless if he does leave LA, they are losing a huge part of there team. IMO, Ariz/Odom is a better combo then Artest, based on the way Artest played in the past. With him wanting the ball, taking bad shoots etc. But, maybe that will change in LA. Just seems that Ariza and Odem where a better fit and worked great with the team around them.

prodigy
07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
If this is true the Lakers well probably have the worst bench.

Farmar
Sasha
Walton
Powell
Mbenga

hahahahaha

ya by far.

what54!?
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Thats a big IFnot saying we need him him because I think chamlers will do ok (if he can stay in front of his man.) but I'm really starting to our rookie gurad beverly. Just saying the more help, the better

Gibby23
Not so. The California Income tax rate is 10.3 % for income over $1,000,001. If the Lakers offered 9mil then that would be 8.073mil after state taxes. Thats a difference of 2.273mil a year or 9.092mil over 4 years. Even with the 5th year that Miami is offering he would still make 3mil more in less years. Thats a large chunk of cash to turn down. Not to mention that LA just signed one of his best friends. This is all leverage for Odom to get the contract length that he wants. There is no chance the he leaves the Lakers for the MLE

And only games played in Florida or any other state that doesn't have a state tax will not be taxed and the rest of the road games are taxed on a state by state basis. He also has a chance to make more playoff money with the Lakers because they have a better shot then the Heat to make it out of round 1 or 2.

Wade_County
. A.I. can come too if he's about winning.

Please NO

Thats a big IF

i hope your right

If we do get boozer and odom please no AI. Rather just have a veteran PG who knows how to share the ball!

slaker619
He'll Most Likely Play Sf And He Iz A Dumbazz Because Now Miami Gets Better But He Lose 4.5 Million Dollars From The Lakers Offer Dumbazz He Most Really Like The Mia And Welcome Back Lamar

rick66ankiel24
07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
im not sure if it makes sense to trade for boozer.. then we have 4 guys at power forward/center that want to start in o'neal, boozer, odom and beasley.

i hope we resign moon so we can have him start at SF and then bring beasley off the bench like halfway through the 1st quarter.. moons defense to start the game then beasley comes in and provides a wave of scoring, can probably give wade a break when beasley comes in if odom/boozer is still on the court

JayW_1023
07-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I can't see LA repeating without Odom, because Bynum is too injury prone. The Lakers need to find some Odom insurance and quickly.

Perhaps they could offer Raymond Felton a contract for the mid level.

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I can't see LA repeating without Odom, because Bynum is too injury prone. The Lakers need to find some Odom insurance and quickly.

Already used MLE on Artest.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 01:14 PM

I never knew the exact figures, I just read that he would lose tax money in LA on ESPN.com :confused:

I don't know if he's injury prone. One year he landed on someone's foot and rolled his ankle, the next someone rolled into his knee, bending the wrong way. Those injuries don't come from bad conditioning.

Also, I think all our MLE went on Artest.

JayW_1023
Well the money they want to offer Odom, they could spend it on Felton. The Lakers would finally have a rock solid point guard. He would fit well in LA.

what54!?
Man if odom does go the lakers GM better get on the phone and get some trades going down because there not repeating with that bench

Wilson
07-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Well the money they want to offer Odom, they could spend it on Felton. The Lakers would finally have a rock solid point guard. He would fit well in LA.

We can't. We're over the cap, so the money we're offering Lamar comes from our bird rights. When over the cap, besides the MLE, Veteren's Minimum and Bi-Annual, you can only spend money on players you already have bird rights on.

To get bird rights, I think you need a player for three years, or he needs to have been on his current contract for three years (I could be wrong with the length though).

daleja424
07-16-2009, 01:19 PM

no...they cant... its called a salary cap and bird rights...

Lo Porto
07-16-2009, 01:20 PM

You have to factor in a few things. There is no income tax in Florida. So $5.8 in Florida is equal to say $6.5 or 7 in Cali. Miami can also offer a starting spot. And L.A. never offered more than $27 million (3 years). $34 million over 5 years with those tax considerations makes this deal better for Odom.

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Nope. The Lakersare over tha cap and can only offer tha money to Odom because we have his Bird rights, but still have to pay the luxury tax on it. Anything the Lakers pay LO, they pay the same amount in tax. Only thing the Lakers can offer anyone is the Vets minimum.

Squad13
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Why mess up a championship team LO? You made about 5 million more than you were worth for years, inconsistent and will likely have diabetes by the end of the season.

LakersnDodgers
07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Link???

If he does leave LA, I'll be ecstatic. I'm really, really, really hoping he does.

Are you a Magic fan? why would you want him in the same Confrence as the Magic? ohhhh wait....the Lakers mopped up Orlando so your a "Laker hater" i see! lots of those around---LOL:clap:

JayW_1023
07-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Well having Artest instead of Odom is not a huge dropoff...Artest lacks Odoms versatility...but he is tougher and more consistent.

The Lakers would still be contenders.

LakersnDodgers
07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Man if odom does go the lakers GM better get on the phone and get some trades going down because there not repeating with that bench

Yeah our bench will suck......but our starters will be the best in the league and come playoff time its your starters that determine a championship or not.

JordansBulls
07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
You have to factor in a few things. There is no income tax in Florida. So $5.8 in Florida is equal to say $6.5 or 7 in Cali. Miami can also offer a starting spot. And L.A. never offered more than $27 million (3 years). $34 million over 5 years with those tax considerations makes this deal better for Odom.

Good point. Because I would imagine that after 3 years Odom might not be worth 3.5 million a year after that.

Also he may just like Miami better as a city. He was there like 2 years and has been in LA around 4 years.

Alwaysballin247
07-16-2009, 01:29 PM
wow if they get Odom and trade for Boozer then you would assume they would trade away Jermaine O'neal maybe for a true point guard and that is a good team in the east

what54!?
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah our bench will suck......but our starters will be the best in the league and come playoff time its your starters that determine a championship or not.true but that also means bynum better have a hell of a year

IBleedPurple
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Same here. I think they're right back where they started, as Odom brought an interesting dynamic with his size and outside shot. This puts big pressure on Gasol/Bynum to play more minutes.

This would just about offset the Artest deal.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM
wow if they get Odom and trade for Boozer then you would assume they would trade away Jermaine O'neal maybe for a true point guard and that is a good team in the east

not really... JO is a center...neither boozer, beasley, or odom are...

Id trade him for another center... Chandler or Kaman maybe...

JayW_1023
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
As long as the Lakers have Kobe Bryant they'll still be the team to beat.

Plus they got Pau Gasol for peanuts...who knows they could get a solid piece for Morrison, Vujacic and Brown? It's not any worse than what they gave up for Gasol right?

tbone2171
NBA should cut out the foreplay and reduced the league to 8 teams:

Celtics, Magic, Cavs, Heat in the East
Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Nuggets in the West

LakersnDodgers
All you Lakers fans hating on Odom are just mad its a possiblity he is leaving because you know what that means for your team...hahahahah...You hate to admit it but it would hurt you guys. Maybe they just hate Kobe's guts and dont wanna be around him...He and Ariza...hahahah....Hopeful the mental patient Artest doesnt disappoint:D

Listen tool were not that upset with our 4 titles (more than any team) this decade so calm down.It will hurt us but won't break our championship dreams thats for sure.....If Lamar was the reason we would've beat Boston and we would be talking about back to back titles huh? Lamar got punked by Garnett that series! He helps a lot but we still got the best player on the planet,a top 10 defensive player in the league,one of top PF's in the league and the most clutch 3pt shooter in Laker playoff HISTORY! Taste it tool.

static_inferno
07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
people keeping bringing up taxes this and taxes that, but they never backed it up with actual numbers. these are actual numbers and with actual statistical data. the rest of you just state there are taxes in Cali and none in Florida without any concrete evidence that Odom will make just the same either way. this is concrete evidence, and if true if makes all of this taxes crap irrelevant. Odom will stay with the Lakers. i doubt the Heat land Boozer anyway without giving up Beasley.

LakersnDodgers
true but that also means bynum better have a hell of a year

You aint lying there...........

Gibby23
true but that also means bynum better have a hell of a year

If the Lakers FO let's Odom go then they must be banking on that. I trust Mitch, he is pretty good at making midseason trades to fill a need. and the Lakers have about 8 million in expiring contracts and a 2.5 million dollar trade exception, so by the time the trade deadline comes around they can afford to trade for a 10 million dollar player. They will be ok.

Trouble87
07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
great move for the Heat

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
You are taxed by the state that you are playing the acual game in, so most of his road games will still be taxed.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
people keeping bringing up taxes this and taxes that, but they never backed it up with actual numbers. these are actual numbers and with actual statistical data. the rest of you just state there are taxes in Cali and none in Florida without any concrete evidence that Odom will make just the same either way. this is concrete evidence, and if true if makes all of this taxes crap irrelevant. Odom will stay with the Lakers. i doubt the Heat land Boozer anyway without giving up Beasley.

here are the numbers I posted in another thread:

LA is offering 36 mil over 4 years...minus 3.6 mil in taxes is 32.4 mil over 4 years

Miami is offering 34 mil over 5 years...minus 1.7 mil in taxes is 32.3 mil over 5 years

That means he isnt taking less money...it is just spread over an extra year.

If he is really unhappy with the Lakers right now it isn't that bad for him to come to miami for the same total money...

Wilson
07-16-2009, 01:35 PM

They don't need a true point guard, since Wade will be controlling the ball anyway.

They'd be better off keeping JO to play defense...

Zefflin
07-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Also he may just like Miami better as a city. He was there like 2 years and has been in LA around 4 years.

I was thinking that too, that would be the only reason why LO would go. Otherwise I still think he's staying with us. Otherwise there will be a sign and trade. LA won't lose him for nothing...

daleja424
07-16-2009, 01:36 PM
They don't need a true point guard, since Wade will be controlling the ball anyway.

co-sign

JayW_1023
07-16-2009, 01:37 PM

JO will give you a measly 13 points, just four rebounds and a few blocks. He is hardly an all-star...more of a role player now.

IBleedPurple
07-16-2009, 01:37 PM

True, and I don't think many teams can take on the final year of his contract, which is something like $23 or $24 million

LA_Raiders
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
lol, Lakers offered him $10M for 3yrs or $9M for 4yrs.... Now I know why his nick is Odumb....

I'm glad LA got rid of his expensive inconsistent ***...

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 01:39 PM
True, and I don't think many teams can take on the final year of his contract, which is something like $23 or $24 million

They can also trade him midseason after they have paid half of it, because it is a huge expiring contract for some team and can get the some pretty good players in return.

daleja424
I was thinking that too, that would be the only reason why LO would go. Otherwise I still think he's staying with us. Otherwise there will be a sign and trade. LA won't lose him for nothing...

It has already been reported several times that LA will not S/T him becasue they dont think there is equal value out there. They will not appease Odom and take back less value...

LayZbone
A small part of me was sad that we traded Odom in the Shaq deal. I'll welcome back this guy with open arms.

what54!?
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
JO will give you a measly 13 points, just four rebounds and a few blocks. He is hardly an all-star...more of a role player now.if we get odom and/or boozer that'll be good enough. Plus he's an huge expiring.....

dolfan720
07-16-2009, 01:41 PM
awesome the hear really inprove by this signing

lakerboy
07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Odom is using Miami as his leverage. He'll get more money in LA and he will sign in LA.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
JO will give you a measly 13 points, just four rebounds and a few blocks. He is hardly an all-star...more of a role player now.

Definately. Anything you get from him at this point is gravy. Hopefully he can get healthy this summer, so he can concentrate on challenging shots and rebounding the ball.

A small part of me was sad that we traded Odom in the Shaq deal. I'll welcome back this guy with open arms.

I would have been more upset about losing Caron Butler (and I was, when we traded him from Kwame Brown).

Zefflin
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
It has already been reported several times that LA will not S/T him becasue they dont think there is equal value out there. They will not appease Odom and take back less value...

Then he will be signing in a matter of days.

Patience everyone.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
also...

If the two sides do begin negotiating again, Lakers sources said Buss, if he's willing to talk, will lower his offer to Odom.

Those same sources said Buss is a man of principle who sticks by his decision.

Those sources were mindful that when Shaquille O'Neal said during an exhibition game in Hawaii in 2003, "Now, you're gonna pay me," while looking for a contract extension, Buss was angry and never forgot that.

After the 2004 season, Buss traded O'Neal to the Heat, in a deal that brought Odom to the Lakers.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-lamar-odom15-2009jul15,0,5773043.story

so its not even as if Odom can get that LA deal anymore...

Vidball
07-16-2009, 01:49 PM
He's still staying in L.A. There is more $ there (even after the state income taxes), a better chance at winning there, and as LO said himself, in L.A. he is a "rockstar."

daleja424
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
conflicting reports:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10164849#post10164849

not sure how reliable the source is...but at least someone still thinks LO will end up in LA

mrjames7
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Odom is using Miami as his leverage. He'll get

more money in LA and he will sign in LA.

Florida's no income tax makes the money pretty close. People get real Odom is a starter and he did that crazy mess of coming off the bench but playing better than the starter he wasn't happy with that. The only way he would do it again is for the money and terms he asked for. LA was unwillining to meet that in their arrogance so he is going back to the Heat. They will be competitive and he will start like when him and wade played together in wades rookie year. Odom and Wade were a real tandem and carrried that team into the second round of the playoffs.

Only Laker fans believe everyone wants to play in LA. People don't really like Kobe they tolerate him. Ariza goes to a team that will probally not make the playoffs. Odom knows with him LA has a shot without him the Lakers have no shot at getting out of the west.

I hope he signs with Miami!

Wilson
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I just want this to be done. As I've said many times, I don't think the Lakers need Lamar to win, he's just a (big) bonus to have on a team with Kobe, Pau, Ron and a hopefully healthy Bynum.

His loss will be felt in the locker room (that's one of the main reasons I've wanted Rasheed Wallace the last couple of years), but I think we can overcome that. The guys on the team all like each other.

GHOSTSNIPER
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
What you do if you're Lamar is take L.A.'s offer and have the confidence that you'll get another good deal when you're 33.Especially with the best franchise in sports.He'll be productive at that age.He's playing poker with Buss.That's a player that's sees through his bluff.Lamar get Trevor on the horn.

Steve Kerr
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
how many more power forwards/Small forward combos do the Heat need?

Raph12
07-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Genius even at a 5yr 45m contract (which LA would NEVER offer him), he'll bank less than he would in Miami after taxes. So starting role, live in Miami and bank more money idk how does that sound to you?

J$mo0th_3o5
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
If this happens I will personally go up to Pat Riley and bow down:worthy:

Wilson
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't know if starting has an awful lot to do with this. If Miami are close to getting Carlos Boozer, that puts Lamar back on the bench.

Vidball
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Florida's no income tax makes the money pretty close. People get real Odom is a starter and he did that crazy mess of coming off the bench but playing better than the starter he wasn't happy with that. The only way he would do it again is for the money and terms he asked for. LA was unwillining to meet that in their arrogance so he is going back to the Heat. They will be competitive and he will start like when him and wade played together in wades rookie year. Odom and Wade were a real tandem and carrried that team into the second round of the playoffs.

Only Laker fans believe everyone wants to play in LA. People don't really like Kobe they tolerate him. Ariza goes to a team that will probally not make the playoffs. Odom knows with him LA has a shot without him the Lakers have no shot at getting out of the west.

Um...how long ago was it that Artest hand-picked L.A.?
Also, to all talking about the income tax, even after Cali's income tax Odom would still clear about $3M more a year in L.A. That's a huge difference.

what54!?
07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
If this happens I will personally go up to Pat Riley and bow down:worthy:
:nod:

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't know if starting has an awful lot to do with this. If Miami are close to getting Carlos Boozer, that puts Lamar back on the bench.

not really... it would likely put beasley on the bench as LO would be more capable at SF then beas...especially defensively

IRUAM #21
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
not really... it would likely put beasley on the bench as LO would be more capable at SF then beas...especially defensively

If we sign Odom and get Boozer, i wouldn't mind Beasley as the 6th Man.

Badluck33
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Great! Miami is still a 7th seed

J$mo0th_3o5
07-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Hater.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Hater.

for real...:mad::mad::mad:

what54!?
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
bulls fan :rolleyes: better than being the 12th seed :D

Wilson
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM

I think Beasley would be better at SF as a really good third option. Lamar won't give you a ton defensively on the perimeter, he's better closer to the basket blocking shots.

lakerboy
07-16-2009, 02:14 PM

Pretty close? There's a difference of 1 year in the contract and the money gap will widen if Odom plays in that one year (and most likely he will)

Not all wants to play in LA, but Odom does. Talk all you want about LA fans and Kobe and Wade and Odom.

We are the freaking champions. Lamar will come back! :)

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Maimi was a 5th seed last year, what a hater. had to be a Bulls fan :pity:

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Pretty close? There's a difference of 1 year in the contract and the money gap will widen if Odom plays in that one year (and most likely he will)

Not all wants to play in LA, but Odom does. Talk all you want about LA fans and Kobe and Wade and Odom.

We are the freaking champions. Lamar will come back! :)

and maybe odom wants to try and play a bigger role on a team> I dont know... but maybe he wants to be a main reason a team wins and not just be along for the ride... I dunno

what54!?
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
idk maybe since a got a ring he wants to go to a team where he has a bigger role. Players have done it before

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
idk maybe since a got a ring he wants to go to a team where he has a bigger role. Players have done it before

James Posey but he wanted more money.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
well either a lot of heat fans or a lot of lakers fans are going to be running away with their tails between their legs pretty soon. Heat fans are sure he is coming to miami and lakers fans are sure he is resigning... someone is going to be wrong... (Hope it snot me :D)

J$mo0th_3o5
07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Man Posey is my boy. He's one of my favorite players. Oh yeah Bulls fans love him too:rolleyes:

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Maybe he wants to come to the HEAT because he does not want to wear littlr girl colors any more Purple and Yellow :shrug: :D

Hawkeye15
07-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Miami fans, please give me you're opinion on what position Beasley belongs at. I only watched them about 10 times this year, but I still think he is a PF. I don't get the Odom signing, I think it would hinder his development. If you think he can be a slashing SF who can shoot, then that is one thing, but I think he runs better off the high/medium post where he can catch, turn and move.

Jonathan2323
If i had to put money on this i would say he resigns with the Lakers.

JordansBulls
Odom could feel shafted. First off he was a starter in 2008 and he and Gasol worked well together. Last year he moved to the 6th man and Ariza started along with Bynum. Next off this summer Artest signs with LA and Ariza leaves so that again means Odom goes to the bench. Maybe the guy wants to start. Everyone doesn't care about winning more and more titles once they get one. They want to be in an environment that is less hectic and where they may want to live someday.

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Beasley is a PF and he's working this offseason to play some SF but he cant defend other SF in the game.

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Same beat writer just said 75 to 80% chance LO back to LA on her twitter. Said she did not write the other storey: which I didn't write. Just an RSS feed update.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Miami fans, please give me you're opinion on what position Beasley belongs at. I only watched them about 10 times this year, but I still think he is a PF. I don't get the Odom signing, I think it would hinder his development. If you think he can be a slashing SF who can shoot, then that is one thing, but I think he runs better off the high/medium post where he can catch, turn and move.

He is a hybrid...much like odom. He could be effective in the paint against 3's and as a perimieter player against most 4's. In the long run I would project him as somewhere between Jamison (a 4) and Melo (a 3). I think he could play either position...but he is unwilling to put on weight and work in the post so for now he is probably best at the 3? It could go either way though...

what54!?
07-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Miami fans, please give me you're opinion on what position Beasley belongs at. I only watched them about 10 times this year, but I still think he is a PF. I don't get the Odom signing, I think it would hinder his development. If you think he can be a slashing SF who can shoot, then that is one thing, but I think he runs better off the high/medium post where he can catch, turn and move.I personally think beasley is in the antwan jamison mold. He will be a Forward combo. His offensive skills are like melos though so he may be better at the three. He likes to shoot, he can make threes, plus he actually does a lot of slashing. I only have a problem with his D guarding other SF's who are quick.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Same beat writer just said 75 to 80% chance LO back to LA on her twitter. Said she did not write the other storey: which I didn't write. Just an RSS feed update.

link?

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:28 PM
I personally think beasley is in the antwan jamison mold. He will be a Forward combo. His offensive skills are like melos though so he may be better at the three. He likes to shoot, he can make threes, plus he atcually does a lot of slashing. I only have a problem with his D guarding other SF's who are quick.

interesting...I have a problem with him guarding ANYONE at this point...

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
conflicting reports flying everywhere :faint:

Hawkeye15
interesting...I have a problem with him guarding ANYONE at this point...

name rookie that was a great defender though.

Gibby23
link?

She is a local beat writer and has been updating the LO stuff the last 4 or 5 days.

what54!?
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
interesting...I have a problem with him guarding ANYONE at this point...true :laugh2:

But he's getting there. A long as he can make good rotations and stay with his man he'll be ok

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
she sounds optimistic

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I bet we do sign lamar then we trade him at the end of the season. If we don't i hope we still have some money for 2010 because he is not gonna make us a contender either.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM

She is a local beat writer and has been updating the LO stuff the last 4 or 5 days.

thanks... so she seems to think the miami offer is only good if we get boozer...interesting...

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
name rookie that was a great defender though.

David Robinson.:D

D Roses Bulls
07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
no disrespect laker fans, but without odom you will not repeat next year. odom was 6'10" and big bodied. he gave the magic fits with his style of play and he's that x-factor. i dont see them repeating because they just pretty much replaced odom and ariza with artest and even though artest is real good he will not make up for the lack of those two. GO MAGIC

jakub
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
no way the heat will sign odom, odom wants 10 millions a season he wants a contract for 5 yrs/50 mill if he rejected an 8.5 mill offer with the camps the lakers y the hell will he go to miami they wont win with him theirs to many great teams like orlando with the addition of vince and bass
cavs get parker and shaq
boston gets wallace
detriot gets gordon and charlie vinuelluea
so miami can get 5th place they will not be contenders

userfoundnot
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
WOW! This is so not happening, Odom is greedy, if he didn't want more money, he would have already signed with the Lakers.

PhillyBoomerang
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Odom would be great with D-wade in Miami

JJ81
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
That makes me sick. A smaller contract than the Lakers offered him

IversonIsKrazy
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Lakers signed Ron Artest INSTEAD OF re-signing Trevor Ariza, which made Ariza sign with the Rockets.

I really really hope Odom doesnt go to Miami. I mean, i want Miami to make no changes just so they can suck and piss off D-Wade. I dont understand y Odom would leave. He is getting more money, staying with the champions. If he moves, he might make a bit more after taxes, but he'll have to re-move and prolly buy a new house and everything and that extra money would prolly be spent on the new moving or adjusting to the city of Miami now, which would prolly even out the money. This is really really retarted.

ARMIN12NBA
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
The Lakers offered him more money in less years...Why would he take this? Sure, the Lakers gave him less years, but he is getting more money in less years. That way, when he signs his next contract, he will be getting much more money overall.

championships
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
bye,bye Odom. I like Odom but I am A laker fan first. He doesn't want to be here than **** him. This is the Lakers, plenty of good players want to come here, they will have no problem replacing him.

Lone Maverick
07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
The Lakers offered him more money in less years...Why would he take this? Sure, the Lakers gave him less years, but he is getting more money in less years. That way, when he signs his next contract, he will be getting much more money overall.

No state tax in Florida. The money is actually comparable but over 5 years instead of 3.

_Supreme_
07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
It could just be for leverage, so I'll believe it when I see it.

But it would be great. If it happens, get Caron Butler somehow too and we would have the core of the pre-Shaq team back :rock:

(which was my favorite HEAT team roster)

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Lakers signed Ron Artest INSTEAD OF re-signing Trevor Ariza, which made Ariza sign with the Rockets.

I really really hope Odom doesnt go to Miami. I mean, i want Miami to make no changes just so they can suck and piss off D-Wade. I dont understand y Odom would leave. He is getting more money, staying with the champions. If he moves, he might make a bit more after taxes, but he'll have to re-move and prolly buy a new house and everything and that extra money would prolly be spent on the new moving or adjusting to the city of Miami now, which would prolly even out the money. This is really really retarted.

Trust me Miami will make moves. Pat Riley will make sure of that.

LADanks
4 years $36 million vs. 5 years $34 million. Hmmm....

If Odom signs with Miami he either HATES playing in LA (highly contrary to everything he's said), or he wants to be a starter that bad.

Odds are Lamar and his agent are just using Miami to leverage the Lakers, but I can understand why non-Laker fans are so excited by this "news".

D Roses Bulls
no way the heat will sign odom, odom wants 10 millions a season he wants a contract for 5 yrs/50 mill if he rejected an 8.5 mill offer with the camps the lakers y the hell will he go to miami they wont win with him theirs to many great teams like orlando with the addition of vince and bass
cavs get parker and shaq
boston gets wallace
detriot gets gordon and charlie vinuelluea
so miami can get 5th place they will not be contenders

your forgetting no state income tax so its almost like making 7 or 8 million a year, maybe more and they are offering him 5 years. and detroit will not finish with the 5 seed. i will be surprised if they are a playoff team at all

HarlemWorld4eva
07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Those taxes will get ya! He needs to have that extra year to pay that 50% that year on only that year's paper (which is less and keeps him wealthier for longer)!

DCLAFAN
07-16-2009, 04:00 PM
and maybe odom wants to try and play a bigger role on a team> I dont know... but maybe he wants to be a main reason a team wins and not just be along for the ride... I dunno

And maybe he wants to be a champion! L.O. eventhough hes not a starter trust me gets all the love and respect here in L.A. But if he decides against being a champion, he will sign with M.I.A, oh I mean Miami. If he doesnt not only will you loose Wade, youll loose hope, so i see why Miami fans would be hatin like jealous boyfriends right now. But you should know "Hating on us Will make your situation worse"

fresh prince
07-16-2009, 04:06 PM
No state tax in Florida. The money is actually comparable but over 5 years instead of 3.

Apparently road games are taxed per that states tax laws so the state tax thing isnt as big of a deal.. So either LO is an idiot or this is just a false agent dropped rumor. to bring the Lakers back to the table with him.

I think the answer is probably Lamar is an idiot..since he hasn't signed w' the Lakers by now anyway

ttam68
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
The offers were:

LA offered $27 mil over 3 years.
-LO didnt respond because he wanted a 4th year and 36 mil.

Miami could offer 5 yrs $34 mil.

Taking into account the 10.3% tax in LA, the total cash he'd get would be $8.07 mil/yr from LA and $6.8 mil/yr from Miami.

So, after 3 yrs in LA Odom would need to sign a 2 yr deal worth $4.9 mil per year to even out the money. Personally, I dont know if a 33 yr old Odom could get that deal.

The money basically evens out over 5 years. People need to get their **** straight.

jlisec01
07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
awesome

ttam68
07-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Apparently road games are taxed per that states tax laws so the state tax thing isnt as big of a deal.. So either LO is an idiot or this is just a false agent dropped rumor. to bring the Lakers back to the table with him.

I think the answer is probably Lamar is an idiot..since he hasn't signed w' the Lakers by now anyway

If thats true, LO would still need to get a 2 yr contract at $4.2/yr after his contract with LA to even it out. And thats AFTER taxes.

So again, if he signed LA's contract now then resigned on a 2 yr deal afterward, his deal would have to be worth either $4.7 mil/yr or $5.45 mil/yr (depending on if road games are taxable in Miami or not) to equal the 5 yr deal Miami could offer.

LADanks
The offers were:

Taking into account the 10.3% tax in LA, the total cash he'd get would be $8.07 mil/yr from LA and $6.8 mil/yr from Miami.

So, after 3 yrs in LA Odom would need to sign a 2 yr deal worth $4.9 mil per year to even out the money. Personally, I dont know if a 33 yr old Odom could get that deal.

The money basically evens out over 5 years. People need to get their **** straight.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-lamar-odom15-2009jul15,0,5773043.story

"Lakers team officials, who were not authorized to speak about the negotiations, said Buss offered Odom a deal for $9 million a season for four years at $36 million, or $10 million a season over three years for a total of $30 million."

According to this Odom turned down 4/36. Unless you heard otherwise.

LA_Raiders
You guys can have his expensive inconsistent ***...

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
And maybe he wants to be a champion! L.O. eventhough hes not a starter trust me gets all the love and respect here in L.A. But if he decides against being a champion, he will sign with M.I.A, oh I mean Miami. If he doesnt not only will you loose Wade, youll loose hope, so i see why Miami fans would be hatin like jealous boyfriends right now. But you should know "Hating on us Will make your situation worse"

:laugh2: Hating on you? I think you are hating on the Heat because they might get Lamar wow. Miami has Pat Riley, if anyone can make a championship team its him. He could sign Lamar Odom to a 5 year deal at the mid-level exception. Then pull of a deal to bring Boozer to South Beach. Riley then gets Wade to resign.

Chalmers/Beverly
Wade/Cook
Odom/Jones
Boozer/Beasley(6th man)
O'Neal/Magloire

That team can easily compete with the rest of the East. #3 or #4 seed in the East.

ttam68
07-16-2009, 04:23 PM

"Lakers team officials, who were not authorized to speak about the negotiations, said Buss offered Odom a deal for $9 million a season for four years at $36 million, or $10 million a season over three years for a total of $30 million."

According to this Odom turned down 4/36. Unless you heard otherwise.

LAS VEGAS -- Lamar Odom and the Los Angeles Lakers had reached an agreement on annual salary before the Lakers pulled out of contract talks with their versatile sixth man, sources with knowledge of the talks said on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN.com that Odom and the Lakers had reached an accord entering the weekend on a per-season wage of $9 million for the 29-year-old. But Odom balked at L.A.'s unwillingness to extend an offer spanning more than three years in length and spent the past few days weighing his options.

The Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site earlier Tuesday night that Lakers owner Jerry Buss, upset that he was still waiting for Odom's response, has decided to take the offer off the table. Yet one source told ESPN.com that Odom was never given a deadline to accept or pass on the Lakers' three-year, $27 million pitch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4328376

The most trusted name in sports

dtmagnet
07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Does this mean Beasley spends another year off the bench?

MiamiHeat
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Does this mean Beasley spends another year off the bench?
:sigh:
one of the many reasons why I dont want Odom

daleja424
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
:sigh:
one of the many reasons why I dont want Odom

shhhhhh... he's just kidding lamar!

KungFu Pandavol
07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
If Lakers lose Odom..
Spurs
Mavs
Nuggs
Blazers
Magic
Cavs
Boston

Are all ahead of the Lakers IMO. The Lakers have a great starting lineup, but their bench is something to worry about. Bynum hasn't shown he can be durable and Odom caused alot of mismatch problems by playing the 3,4,5. Lakers have taken a HUGE step back from the rest of the contenders. They'll be lucky if they can get the 6th seed. Losing Ariza and Odom for Artest is epic fail.

boms-4
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
i dont understand. The Lakers were offering more at the time plus i read before that Odom is good friends with Artest.

NYMetros
07-16-2009, 04:36 PM
You guys can have his expensive inconsistent ***...

His inconsistent *** won you the championship last year.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
If Lakers lose Odom..
Spurs
Mavs
Nuggs
Blazers
Magic
Cavs
Boston

Are all ahead of the Lakers IMO. The Lakers have a great starting lineup, but their bench is something to worry about. Bynum hasn't shown he can be durable and Odom caused alot of mismatch problems by playing the 3,4,5. Lakers have taken a HUGE step back from the rest of the contenders. They'll be lucky if they can get the 6th seed. Losing Ariza and Odom for Artest is epic fail.

Odom is a huge lost for the Lakers, but chill their not getting the 6th seed!
If Lamar goes to the Heat, the Lakers would pick up some one of free agency who can replace him. Someone like Drew Gooden or Joe Smith to take Lamar place. The question is what would it cost to bring one of those free agents to LA?

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
if Odom wanted to be in LA wouldn't he have signed already?

LADanks
07-16-2009, 04:39 PM

Yahoosports, FOXsports and CBSsports are all rolling with the LA times story, so who knows.

But if ESPN is correct, and the Lakers topped out at 3/27, then I guess Odom to Miami for 5 years at the MLE is a possibility.

what54!?
07-16-2009, 04:39 PM
if Odom wanted to be in LA wouldn't he have signed already?:nod:

LADanks
07-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Do you know how negotiations work?

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
:laugh2: Hating on you? I think you are hating on the Heat because they might get Lamar wow. Miami has Pat Riley, if anyone can make a championship team its him. He could sign Lamar Odom to a 5 year deal at the mid-level exception. Then pull of a deal to bring Boozer to South Beach. Riley then gets Wade to resign.

Chalmers/Beverly
Wade/Cook
Odom/Jones
Boozer/Beasley(6th man)
O'Neal/Magloire

That team can easily compete with the rest of the East. #3 or #4 seed in the East.
Jerry West and Jerry Buss made Pat Riley. Jerry Buss made him again with the Shaq trade. All of his champions came directly or indirectly from the Laker franchise.

NYMetros
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Odom is a huge lost for the Lakers, but chill their not getting the 6th seed!
If Lamar goes to the Heat, the Lakers would pick up some one of free agency who can replace him. Someone like Drew Gooden or Joe Smith to take Lamar place. The question is what would it cost to bring one of those free agents to LA?

Isn't the only thing the Lakers can offer if they lose out on Odom the vet minimum?

Jonathan2323
07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Pat Riley > than all Gm's in the NBA

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
i dont understand. The Lakers were offering more at the time plus i read before that Odom is good friends with Artest.

Odom wants to be locked up for 5 years the Lakers offer him 3. The Lakers offered him more money, but in Florida you don't have to pay State Taxes so the money even outs.

shizzle09

Are you going to keep posting the same message over and over? Understand before you comment. No income tax in Florida and more years from Miami. He'll start in Miami and will be a 6th man in L.A. he's not trying to stick anything to the Lakers. If you dont recall prior to Bynum getting hurt Odom was horrible. When he started he went off. How happy do you think he is there? i see plenty of reasons why he would come to the Heat.

Gibby23

Espn posted the storey the night the LA times storey came out. The LA times made some changes by the morning with the deals that were offered.

KungFu Pandavol
07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Isn't the only thing the Lakers can offer if they lose out on Odom the vet minimum?

Yup. You are correct sir. That's why I don't get some off these people who say they will just replace Odom like nothing.

Joe Smith? wow.

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
For those of you who have asked, the four-year, $36 million dollar offer Daily News reported was sourced to Lakers PR man John Black.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM

Yeah that's the only problem, that is why I can see a guy like Joe Smith taking the vet minimum. Not sure Gooden would take that big of a pay cut to join the Lakers. Either way they are going to have to go get someone because that bench is horrible.

teckmunny
07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
if he takes that deal with miami he is a ****en idiot!!bye bye inconsistant man!!!this guy or hes agent r pissing jerry buss off man!!he will let him go!!let him go play in weak miami!!!all they have is the beaches !!

Gibby23
Yup. You are correct sir. That's why I don't get some off these people who say they will just replace Odom like nothing.

Joe Smith? wow.

Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Bynum. Wow!

EL HEAT
Pat Riley > than all Gm's in the NBA

:nod:

KmB728
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Link???

Agreed :pray:

akagiredsuns
07-16-2009, 04:50 PM

Um..Toronto? They're much more talented now with Turkoglu. I think they will be a 4 before Miami is.

Jonathan2323
if he takes that deal with miami he is a ****en idiot!!bye bye inconsistant man!!!this guy or hes agent r pissing jerry buss off man!!he will let him go!!let him go play in weak miami!!!all they have is the beaches !!

someone is mad :pity:

Wilson

Yep.

KungFu Pandavol
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Bynum. Wow!

Sasha,Puke,Farmar,Powell,Mbenga. WOW!

FAIL

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Joe Smith? wow.

Yeah I know nothing special, but he's better than anybody else they have on that bench.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM

same could be said for miami...if he didnt want to be back with the lakers for sure... wouldnt he have signed with us already? This is going to take some time i have a feeling. It might even have to wait for Portland to sign felton?

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Um..Toronto? They're much more talented now with Turkoglu. I think they will be a 4 before Miami is.

Probably, unless Boozer goes to Miami as well.

Chalmers
Wade
Odom
Boozer
O'Neal
6th man-Beasley

Now that team is better than Toronto

still1ballin
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
If Odom signs for the MLE with the heat, I will hate him forever.

KungFu Pandavol
07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah I know nothing special, but he's better than anybody else they have on that bench.

Debatable.

LE-SHAQ
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I think it's clearly more than hte money, maybe they dont like playing with kobe or playing for phil. I'm not sure but it's something going on more than cash in L.A.

Kevj77
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM
The Lakers wanted to give 4 years at most, Odom wanted 5. Apparently, Miami is giving 5 :shrug:But the Lakers 4 year offer is for more moeny than the 5 years MLE offer the heat can give. Then he could still play for the MLE at 34. The Lakers offer is way more money especially after you consider becoming a FA again in 3-4 years. I don't buy it. His agent is trying to get the Lakers to budge by getting other teams involved.

This really reminds me of the Dodgers and Manny. Manny wanted more years, but the Dodgers knew nobody else had even offered Manny a deal. McCourt wasn't going to bid against himself. That is just plain stupid. Lamars agent is desperately trying to get other teams involved because the Lakers aren't going to bid against themselves. I don't blame them why should they?

Gibby23
07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I think it's clearly more than hte money, maybe they dont like playing with kobe or playing for phil. I'm not sure but it's something going on more than cash in L.A.

Then why won't he take the Miami offer? It should be done. I think his agent talks to the Lakers 1 more time and they work it out.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Around the Horn is about to talk about this...check it out

LE-SHAQ
07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
someome made a good point about the no state taxes in Fl maybe the money works out to be the same or close enough. It's no secrete he didnt like coming off the bench, in miami he starts. Playing with Wade he can still compete, plus hes got his ring and south beach doesnt suck either. Lakers better pay the man.

Lo Porto
07-16-2009, 05:15 PM
But the Lakers 4 year offer is for more moeny than the 5 years MLE offer the heat can give. Then he could still play for the MLE at 34. The Lakers offer is way more money especially after you consider becoming a FA again in 3-4 years. I don't buy it. His agent is trying to get the Lakers to budge by getting other teams involved.

This really reminds me of the Dodgers and Manny. Manny wanted more years, but the Dodgers knew nobody else had even offered Manny a deal. McCourt wasn't going to bid against himself. That is just plain stupid. Lamars agent is desperately trying to get other teams involved because the Lakers aren't going to bid against themselves. I don't blame them why should they?

If Odom leaves, LA is now only a great team and not an elite team. Artest is better than Ariza, but he can't do what Odom does. Losing Odom would be a big blow to the Lakers. It would be good for the league because the league would go from one elite team, a couple great teams and a bunch of good teams to a bunch of great teams in only one summer.

Orlando, Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, Boston, Atlanta, LA, Portland, Dallas, San Antonio, Denver, and Utah would all be great teams. Any of those teams could win the title. GS, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Clippers, and other teams are not far behind that category either.

tland22
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Genius even at a 5yr 45m contract (which LA would NEVER offer him), he'll bank less than he would in Miami after taxes. So starting role, live in Miami and bank more money idk how does that sound to you?

NO "genius" he wouldnt be making more Bank. You are WRONG> It makes the money pretty close, but LA still going to give him a bit more. So suck it.

tland22
07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Man Posey is my boy. He's one of my favorite players. Oh yeah Bulls fans love him too:rolleyes:

hell yea I second that... Posey is my boy too and one of my fav players. He is a cool dude. Po-Z!!!!

blazerman
07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I really hope Odom ditches LA for Miami, especially after reading all the Lakers fans that are saying he sucks and he's so inconsistent and he was only along for the ride. WOW!!

You'd think kupchak would welcome a S&T if Odom is really planning on leaving because they are over the cap anyway and if they lose Odom then there's no money to replace him.

Or maybe the Lakers think they will get a good replacement for the Vet Minimum, that's too funny.

Go to Miami Lamar!!! most LA fans dont respect for you anyway!

Marques24kobe
07-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I call Bull$*** on the the taxes idea. If that was the case he would be begging LA to sign and trade him. Because then he would get even more money.

Has anybody ever talked about this idea. Miami is the only team that has said they want him right now. His agent has to keep filling the LA brass with all this crap how hes a wanted player and he can sign elsewhere if they dont give him more money or another year. I guarentee tomorrow if the Jazz match the offer for Milsap all the rumors will be hes going to Portland. This is all just a bunch of fake plublicity by his agent.

Hes trying to weasel out more money from the Lakers. I hope Utah doesnt match and then LO and his agent are screwed and come crawling back to Lakers.

And there is no way on earth that LO takes less money to play for a different team. This will kill his agents credibility. If hes telling LO to not take the deal from LA because he feels they should offer another year, and LO has said he would take it but his agent said no. Then no way in hell his agent is telling him to play for the MLE.

All a bunch of made up bull$** to get more money. He signs next week with LA guarentee it. And maybe even less then what LA has offered.

Marques24kobe
07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
And on top of it, one of his childhood friends who he grew up and played basketball with comes to the Lakers and LO wants to play somewhere else for 3-4 million dollars less. This all makes a lot of sense.

Lo Porto
07-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I think Odom wants to start more than he let on. He's also smart enough to know that getting Artest makes Odom the 5th or 6th fiddle in LA if you consider Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Fisher and Artest. All he asked for was 5 years. If you're the Lakers and you just won the title and you just got Artest at a huge bargain, why not pay Odom $9 million for 5 years? Odom being in LA almost guarantees two titles over the next 5 years.

I really hope Odom goes to Miami. More parity in the league and LA is less dominant. Then we can say that LA did this to themselves.

ARMIN12NBA
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Apparently Odom is signing with the Lakers.

Kevj77
07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
If Odom leaves, LA is now only a great team and not an elite team. Artest is better than Ariza, but he can't do what Odom does. Losing Odom would be a big blow to the Lakers. It would be good for the league because the league would go from one elite team, a couple great teams and a bunch of good teams to a bunch of great teams in only one summer. You're right the Lakers need Odom. That doesn't change the fact that they were bidding against themselves. Odom won't sign a 5 year deal for the MLE. He wants 10 mil a year. The Lakers offered 10 mil for 3 years or 9 mil for 4 years. The only team they should be worried about is Portland after Utah matches for Millsap. Portland has the money to sign Odom straight up. I guarantee he won't sign any deal until the Millsap situation is resolved and then he will try to talk to Portland. His agent is trying to get other teams involved to change the Lakers position. Don't expect this to be resolved quickly, its going to take time to play out.

Boras tried to do this with Manny by starting rumors of him getting an offer from SF, but SF shot the rumors down. He had no leverage over the Dodgers and he knew it weakened his position. Look what happened in the end. Manny is a Dodger. I still predict Odom will be a Laker next year.

fresh prince
07-16-2009, 06:06 PM
The offers were:

The Lakers offered Lamar 2 deals either: 4 for 36 or 3 for 30

So the 4 year deal at 9 mil per season and the 3 year deal was at 10 mil per season.. So fall back..

fishfan79
07-16-2009, 06:21 PM
hmm in miami he starts in LA he comes off of the bench because of artest right?

ARMIN12NBA
07-16-2009, 06:23 PM
hmm in miami he starts in LA he comes off of the bench because of artest right?

He was coming off the bench already...

_KB24_
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
This rumor to Miami is complete ********. Odoms agent is just trying to use it as leverage. Why the **** would he leave LA if they are offering more money, a better city, and a familiar system? Odom will stay and sign for around 8-9 mill, "GUARANSHEED".

KungFu Pandavol
07-16-2009, 06:32 PM
This rumor to Miami is complete ********. Odoms agent is just trying to use it as leverage. Why the **** would he leave LA if they are offering more money, a better city, and a familiar system? Odom will stay and sign for around 8-9 mill, "GUARANSHEED".

Wrong.

MIami>LA as far as cities.

Lamar has already played with Miami

So that is a utter fail on your behalf.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Wrong.

He played under a different coach though.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 06:44 PM
He was coming off the bench already...

Yeah, but Ariza was starting over him.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Nope

Miami by far is a better city than LA

Odom played for Miami in '04 so yea he's familiar with the system and the city.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but Ariza was starting over him.

The Lakers have never played him at SF. Since we got him, he started at PF until last season, when Andrew and Pau started up front.

MajorFloridaFan
07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
link or gtfo is guite right
I would love for him to go to LA make our championship run waaay easier

king4day
07-16-2009, 07:35 PM
He may as well take the 3 years 27mil and likely make around midlevel after the 3 years.

KBfrom8to24
07-16-2009, 07:39 PM
maybe he just wants to play with wade becase hes sick of kobe. he said he would like to come back to miami. Shutup!!! he never won a ring with overrated Dwade:mad::mad::mad:

_KB24_
07-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Wrong.

Nope

Miami by far is a better city than LA

Odom played for Miami in '04 so yea he's familiar with the system and the city.

Um noo.

LA > Miami......and its not even close. "So that is a utter fail on your behalf".

Odom only played one season there and it was under a different coach and sytem. So thats another fail. Miami is a completely new team with a better Wade but a completely different team and system.

daleja424
07-16-2009, 07:48 PM
He played under a different coach though.

but Spo uses almost the exact same system as riley

solelimited
07-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a hard time believing hes going to take less money to go to miami. Even if miami gets odom, they still arent a championship team. Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland all are much better teams then miami with odom. You can't tell me that they could actually beat a healthy boston team. He'll basically be taking a pay cut to go to a non contending team.

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Shutup!!! he never won a ring with overrated Dwade:mad::mad::mad:

Wade was a rookie when Odom played with him I don't think he was supposed to win their franchise a championship in their first season. Wade overrated? If anything he is underrated.

BoltLakerPadre
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Key words:

1. seems
2. likely
3. could

Exactly. His agent may be a selfish prick who only cares about his own money, and not his client's well being, but Lamar isn't an idiot. Although if he keeps playing this game much longer, than I'll feel otherwise.

Just take the great deal and be a Laker again, come on Lamar!

J_M_B
07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a hard time believing hes going to take less money to go to miami. Even if miami gets odom, they still arent a championship team. Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland all are much better teams then miami with odom. You can't tell me that they could actually beat a healthy boston team. He'll basically be taking a pay cut to go to a non contending team.

If Lamar went to Miami, it pretty much guarantee that Riley is going to go out and get Boozer. Then Miami can compete with the rest of the East.
Chalmers
Wade
Odom
Boozer
O'Neal
6th man- Beasley

that squad can contend with any squad in the East IMO

solelimited
07-16-2009, 08:12 PM
If Lamar went to Miami, it pretty much guarantee that Riley is going to go out and get Boozer. Then Miami can compete with the rest of the East.
Chalmers
Wade
Odom
Boozer
O'Neal
6th man- Beasley

that squad can contend with any squad in the East IMO

i dont know how well odom plays at the 3. Since hes been in LA hes always played the 4.

Wilson
07-16-2009, 08:21 PM
but Spo uses almost the exact same system as riley

Ah right fair enough, I didn't know that...

fishfan79
07-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I think personally comes down to starting in the east with the heat or being a bench player with LA. Make more with LA for now or make more overall with the Heat.

You really cant go wrong either way if you are in his position.

Now the Lakers are easier the better team at the moment, but if miami adds boozer miami is an attractive target between beasley, wade, boozer.

As far as cities go both are pretty much cities to make much of the country jealous but I will take miami's nice clean beaches over La's morning smog personally. But then again earthquakes scare the crap out of me so I am biased. :)

He does know the coach (he was on the staff there supposedly friendly), he does know the system (riles pretty much adopted spo a while back lol they go back very far even to his father as a family friend and fellow coach).

Personally think it is a hard choice, cant blame him really for either choice. He has his ring and could honestly get a chance next year or the future for another in either place. Plus you play with the best two Shooting guards in the league hard to find fault in that :)

daleja424
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Ah right fair enough, I didn't know that...

ya. Thats something a non-heat fan wouldnt be expected to know. All Spo knows about coaching pretty much came from his time under Riley... so its no surprise he still uses most of the same plays and schemes...

BALLER71
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Shutup!!! he never won a ring with overrated Dwade:mad::mad::mad:
:laugh:
Overrated? Statistically he was the best player last year.

Um noo.

LA > Miami......and its not even close. "So that is a utter fail on your behalf".

Odom only played one season there and it was under a different coach and sytem. So thats another fail. Miami is a completely new team with a better Wade but a completely different team and system.
As long as Pat Riley is in the front office our coaches will always run what ever system he wants. Therefore it's the same concept and same plays. Please educate yourself. Talking **** is one thing, but talking **** when you don't know anything is just stupid. Also Odom had his best season in Miami...

daleja424
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
David Thorpe just reported on ESPNews that the lakers are 2 years and 20 mil apart on an offer and Miami makes the most sense for Lamar if that Lakers don't give him the 5/50 he is looking for

IBleedPurple
07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Go to the EC Lamar, Miami would be a nicer place to live anyway IMO

boms-4
07-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Odom wants to be locked up for 5 years the Lakers offer him 3. The Lakers offered him more money, but in Florida you don't have to pay State Taxes so the money even outs.

oh i understand now thanks

KungFu Pandavol
07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
The Lakers are going to be scratchin for the 6th seed after losing Ariza and Odom IMO..Wouldn't surprise me if Bynum and Artest had their typical injury bugs and they fall out of the race..

solelimited
07-16-2009, 09:20 PM
The Lakers are going to be scratchin for the 6th seed after losing Ariza and Odom IMO..Wouldn't surprise me if Bynum and Artest had their typical injury bugs and they fall out of the race..

6th seed? thats pretty low. Id have to say without odom they'd probably be in the 2nd or 3rd seed in the west. SA takes the top seed.

SouljahPhil...
07-16-2009, 09:21 PM

lol...I really love your hate for the lakers...Fall out of the race? A team with pau and kobe won't fall out of a race....

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Damn you laker fans are like whining little babies. Who gives a **** of lamar odom wants to be in miami rather then LA. He got his championship and now he wants to be where ever he wants and miami happens to be his choice of preference. We all know the lakers offered him more money, but money isn't everything.

SouljahPhil...
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Damn you laker fans are like whining little babies. Who gives a **** of lamar odom wants to be in miami rather then LA. He got his championship and now he wants to be where ever he wants and miami happens to be his choice of preference. We all know the lakers offered him more money, but money isn't everything.

are you his wife??

Can you post something to back that up..?.don't go calling laker fans here babies if you can't even back that up..lol

RocketsFan4Life
07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
idk why he would sign for less but this might be all he has because lakers pulled the offer but i doubt he will sign unless wade signs first

solelimited
07-16-2009, 09:32 PM

The reason he didn't sign with LA is because of MONEY, not anything else. His first choice was LA not MIAMI. MIA is only an option now because both sides are bitter with each other.

mavs&colts
07-16-2009, 09:35 PM

yea ur right money isn't everything but LO's agent clearly said he wanted $10mil/year for 5 yrs so if you wanna be technical about the situation money is everything in this particular subject, IMO he should of just re-signed with LA for $9mil/year for 3 yrs and jst played at his potential and im pretty sure they would of gave him an extension and he would of been competing for a title:bang: