PDA

View Full Version : What are Larry Bird rights?

Ty Fast
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Could someone tell me what Larry Bird rights are? I heard Ron Artest had it in his contract and now i here Lamar Odom will have it in his contract.

superkegger
07-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Pretty simple really.

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons.

All salaries are included in team salary (and count against the cap). The Bird exception simply says a team can exceed the cap to sign certain players. The new salary applies toward the team salary just like the salaries of the team's other players. So if a team is over the cap and uses the Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent, it will end up farther over the cap.

M0dsgetDik
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Kegger is right, It basically was put in place so teams over the cap can keep "their guy".

daleja424
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Pretty simple really.

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons.

All salaries are included in team salary (and count against the cap). The Bird exception simply says a team can exceed the cap to sign certain players. The new salary applies toward the team salary just like the salaries of the team's other players. So if a team is over the cap and uses the Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent, it will end up farther over the cap.

not entirely. by playing for a team for 3 years in a row you get bird rights. but those rights go with a player to a new team if traded. Boozer for example earned bird rights with utah, but they will go with him to his new team if/when he is traded.

superkegger
07-15-2009, 10:24 PM
not entirely. by playing for a team for 3 years in a row you get bird rights. but those rights go with a player to a new team if traded. Boozer for example earned bird rights with utah, but they will go with him to his new team if/when he is traded.

Right, never said it had to be for one team. It has to be for one team if it's on a contract shorter than 3 years, but if you're traded halfway through a 3 year contract, yes, your bird rights go with you.

phlp_bj
07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Early Bird exception

This is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than five seasons.

A much-publicized example for this would be Devean George, who vetoed his inclusion into a larger trade during the 2007-08 that would have sent him from the Dallas Mavericks to the New Jersey Nets because he would have lost his Early Bird rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Bird_Exception#Larry_Bird_exception

pretty much what kegger has mentioned but more detailed

daleja424
07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
i just wanted to expand on what you said so Ty would understand... didnt mean to imply you were wrong

Rome
07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Those Bird rights come in handy on 2k9 ;)

Super.
07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Larry Bird FtW!

KaganRS
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
They are the rights to SUCK IT TREBEK!!

cav_till_i_die
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
i just wanted to expand on what you said so Ty would understand... didnt mean to imply you were wrong

haha then dont say he is wrong and correct just sau adding on to what he said... they way you said it made it like you were trying to be a smart *****

does anyone think that they are going to give him up though? they should just give him what they want... it would be very smart... because if millsap money is matched i think the blazers would be in love with having odom on thier team... give them champ and playoff experience that they need