PDA

View Full Version : A clearer view of 2010 (Only 5 teams can make a big signing maybe less!!)

Hoopsadvocate
07-15-2009, 05:02 PM
As Steve Kyler noted this morning, dropping revenues for the NBA due to the economic climate could lead to a drastically reduced salary cap next year and in the seasons that follow.

So what does the mean to next summer? Let's assume no changes are made and the league ends up with a cap at $50 million, the high end from Steve's report. While there are plenty of teams that will still have cap space to spend, it won't be nearly as many as players may have hoped. That means a lot of players who were hoping to get paid next summer may instead be looking at MLE deals.

Watch All The Vegas Summer League Action - Live and On-Demand!
Here is the list of teams that already have over $50 million in contracts committed for the 2010-11 season (this will not include future additions, such as 2010 rookie contracts):

Boston Celtics
Charlotte Bobcats
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Indiana Pacers
L.A. Lakers
New Orleans Hornets
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
Phoenix Suns
San Antonio Spurs
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

And there is the list of teams under that $50 million point:

Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Houston Rockets
L.A. Clippers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami HEAT
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings

Yep, 14 teams. The Bucks will move off if they re-sign Ramon Sessions. Portland will move off once they spend this year's cap space and extend the likes of Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge.

How many of those remaining teams currently would have room to add a max player, say $13 million or more?

Five: Atlanta, Miami, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma City

That 2010 bonanza may never happen. Keep in mind also, after free agency 2009 is finished and rookies are drafted in 2010, plus a full season of trades, the landscape could change a bit. However, that's just moving money around from one team to another the same amount of dollars will still be available.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13327

OK for a while people were saying we will get so and so in 2010 thinking they had a chance because they had the financial means to acquire a person. For example Chicago thought they could get Wade, Bosh, or Amare. Well now it seems like only 5 teams will have the financial means to add a max player. Well maybe not even 5 teams because the "max player" example used was for around $13 million. Now realistically we all know wade/lebron/amare/bosh are not gonna sign anywhere for 13 mill maybe Joe johnson, boozer, manu, and other lower tier players would but as far as the Lebron,Wade, Bosh,Amare sweepstakes goes a lot of teams are out of the running. Making it more likely that those players stay with their teams if not move to one of the 5 mentioned. With the biggest front runners being Miami,NY,and NJ. They will be the teams to watch in 2010 instead of the previous 10+ teams trying to cut cost for it.

shinjirod
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Rockets have Tmac's max salary off the books. i'm sure that gives them enough money to look for a star.

ManRam
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Which is another reason why I think at least LeBron and Wade will stay with their current teams. Not everyone is gonna get paid. Although those two would be most teams first targets, when it comes down to it, there isn't gonna be much competition...and Cleveland and Miami will probably look like the best options. Why go to NY when they wont be able to spend much after they sign you.

And another reason why it's never a good idea to look too far ahead if you are a team looking to spend. Free agent classes always turn out worse than they look a year or two before.

ThEaIrUpThErE
07-15-2009, 05:19 PM
ya miami! i hope they get bosh or amare

Young2Kinsler
07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Dallas has over 23 million in expiring tradable contracts next offseason. This article doesn't take that into account I guess. I know Dallas isn't the only one with expirings, but we have to be in the top 2-3 in money ammount.

Damp 13 mil
Williams 2.4 mil
Howard 10+ mil
Buckner 4.1 mil

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Im starting to think this 2010 thing is not gonna live up to all the hype

Lakers4ItAll
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Miami is gonna be damn good 2010

Chicagofaithful
07-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf recently reiterated the Bulls will not be limited by the Salary Cap if the players are available to be a contender. So make that 6 teams.

AWC713
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I believe Houston has Battier, T-Mac, and Yao expiring in 2010.

Expect the Rockets to be big spenders.

thedfactor
07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Dallas will have Dampier and Josh Howard as expiring contracts equaling near 23-25 million. It will be even more attractive to these top tier players AND their teams to work with Dallas if interested.

It works well both ways and satisfies both parties, actually three parties. The player, his current team, and the Dallas Mavericks.

When next summer arrives and those stars who have not signed extensions are looking for a big payday and a quality team either contending or one piece from being serious title contenders, look no further than Dallas.

The player's current team will be worried if no agreement on an extension is met and they will have to begin wondering what other options they have. Let their franchise player walk free or if all else fails at least get something out of it?

In comes Dampier and Howard. Both will provide a team with tremendous salary cap relief. The way it would work is via sign and trade between the squads. By this method, whether it's Dampier alone or along with Howard the star player has an opportunity to have his first year's pay to be around 16.4 million (Dampier alone). That already is likely more or near the same amount teams under the cap can offer. Not sure with the new lower cap if it actually tops the max offer a team under the cap could make.

See where this is going? The player will likely have discussions directly or through his agent about the Mavericks' Dampier situation and go over the details. His current team might speak with Dallas over taking Dampier on to receive the benefit of his bulky expiring contract and therefore a nice slash of salary from their payroll. Minute players could be included, but the big picture is a star going to Dallas and his current team getting something nice rather than nothing in return. Star gets paid huge to play for a contender. All parties are satisfied.

AWC713
07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
^^sorry, not battier, but the rockets have:

Yao- 16 M
T Mac- 23 M
Brian Cook- 3.5 M
Brent Barry- 2 M
Chuck Hayes- 2 M

coming off the books.

thats over 45 M in expiring contracts....expect them to pick up some really good players.

D Roses Bulls
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
yeah the bulls are in position for at least one max player. and if they go over the cap they can sign two which i think they will try hard and do with all these rookie contracts they have. i think its down to chicago and miami for the top free agent destination next summer.

Afridi786
07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Bulls will have near 12-13 mil in cap space now barring any moves so idk what this is talking about. LoL...Miami could end up with no1 on their roster at some point next offseason.

Hoopsadvocate
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Some of you dont seem to get it. Dallas fans i know you have expirings but that means nothing if the cap is gonna be lowered. Expirings does not = cap space. if the cap were $60 million then ya maybe those expirings would do something for you but they wont as the article states u guys will still be at or over $50 mill UNLESS your:

Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Houston Rockets
L.A. Clippers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami HEAT
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings

now dont get to happy if your team is on that list because while u will be under $50 mill in total contracts u have to take into account 1. the $50 is a overstatement it will most likely be MUCH lower. 2. Doesnt count your 2010 rookie signings. So some teams on the list may be able to add decent players but not Lebron,wade,amare,or bosh.

The teams that can add those elite guys are the 5 mentioned most likely less since the article gave an example of $13 mill a year as an example and you all know damn well those 5 elite guys arent gonna take anything near $13 mill a year more like around $20 mill a year.

ManRam
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM

It wont. Definitely not. Between the salary cap falling and the fact that I really think most big names (LeBron and Wade) aren't going anywhere...it's gonna be a let down.

D Roses Bulls
07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13327

OK for a while people were saying we will get so and so in 2010 thinking they had a chance because they had the financial means to acquire a person. For example Chicago thought they could get Wade, Bosh, or Amare. Well now it seems like only 5 teams will have the financial means to add a max player. Well maybe not even 5 teams because the "max player" example used was for around $13 million. Now realistically we all know wade/lebron/amare/bosh are not gonna sign anywhere for 13 mill maybe Joe johnson, boozer, manu, and other lower tier players would but as far as the Lebron,Wade, Bosh,Amare sweepstakes goes a lot of teams are out of the running. Making it more likely that those players stay with their teams if not move to one of the 5 mentioned. With the biggest front runners being Miami,NY,and NJ. They will be the teams to watch in 2010 instead of the previous 10+ teams trying to cut cost for it.

i like your sig, but its wrong. go back to my early posts in january and december. i called the magic making it to the finals.

jim51990
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
as danny ainge said you may see more sign and trades then just the stars signing with different teams

Hoopsadvocate
07-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Bulls will have near 12-13 mil in cap space now barring any moves so idk what this is talking about. LoL...Miami could end up with no1 on their roster at some point next offseason.

12-13? how do u know already how much cap space u will have if there hasnt been a cap set yet? if your comparing it to last years maybe but in 2010 it could go down around 5 million so you maybe looking at 7-8 mill in cap space. Thats what hes talking about. Nobody knows what the cap will be what people do know is it WILL be lower than last year and definetly lower than now.

Hoopsadvocate
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM
as danny ainge said you may see more sign and trades then just the stars signing with different teams

Very true it seems like it will be players only options who are seeking big bucks (13+ contracts) not named Lebron,Wade,Bosh,or Amare. Because no way their teams now will trade them if they don't have too seeing as only 5 teams if that can actually sign them straight up.

Afridi786
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
12-13? how do u know already how much cap space u will have if there hasnt been a cap set yet? if your comparing it to last years maybe but in 2010 it could go down around 5 million so you maybe looking at 7-8 mill in cap space. Thats what hes talking about. Nobody knows what the cap will be what people do know is it WILL be lower than last year and definetly lower than now.

I'm assuming around 50 mil which is extreme imo. The cap is set at ~58 mil for this season, it probably will go down to near ~54 at most next year. So near 16-17 mil in cap space for us.

Hoopsadvocate
07-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm assuming around 50 mil.

Ok $50 mill is an overstatement the writer even said it was a high end of the report. Not denying you guys will have somewhere around there but $12 mill is not enough for those 5 guys maybe boozer,JJ, manu and other lower tier players but Wade,Lebron,Bosh,Amare is a pipe dream.

Afridi786
07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Ok $50 mill is an overstatement the writer even said it was a high end of the report. Not denying you guys will have somewhere around there but $12 mill is not enough for those 5 guys maybe boozer,JJ, manu and other lower tier players but Wade,Lebron,Bosh,Amare is a pipe dream.

The cap only went down by 1 mil this year, assuming it will go down 7 mil next year is extreme imo. We'll still have at least 15 mil to throw at someone.

ATL2010
07-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I think we all know that Lebron will be signing with the Hawks :D

North Yorker
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Meh, as a Raptor fan I'm not worried.

We'll be after one player and one player only, Bosh.

MLSE has a ridiculous amount of money and they would be willing to sign Bosh to a max contract. I could see Bosh taking that offer because the teams with cap space prolly wont have the supporting cast.

Tommyh1331
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM

I agree, the only one I really see leaving is Bosh...that is out of lebron, wade, amare

Bashna
07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Amare is going to sign an extension with the suns during this season...

Wade/Lebron/Bosh/Joe johnson are moving, i bet everyone else is staying (or atleast most everyone)

lou seone
07-15-2009, 06:10 PM
lebron;s team has a diappointing season,he see s that the cavaliers are an old team with no cap space and decides to join d. wade in miami(he loves hanging out in south beach)but the selling point would be that in addition to the heat trading one or two players to get more money for lebron is that pat riley coaches the team. how about a 20% of happening ---over or under what do ou think" that is one of the reason's that he did not come to miami for the zo-wade summmer groove he was scheduled to attend-because of all the possibly signing with the heat in 2010-he wants to keep that possibility a secret.

xHTOWN713x
07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
^^sorry, not battier, but the rockets have:

Yao- 16 M
T Mac- 23 M
Brian Cook- 3.5 M
Brent Barry- 2 M
Chuck Hayes- 2 M

coming off the books.

thats over 45 M in expiring contracts....expect them to pick up some really good players.

Yao has a player option after next season, so you can take him off the list.

Hoopsadvocate
07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
lebron;s team has a diappointing season,he see s that the cavaliers are an old team with no cap space and decides to join d. wade in miami(he loves hanging out in south beach)but the selling point would be that in addition to the heat trading one or two players to get more money for lebron is that pat riley coaches the team. how about a 20% of happening ---over or under what do ou think" that is one of the reason's that he did not come to miami for the zo-wade summmer groove he was scheduled to attend-because of all the possibly signing with the heat in 2010-he wants to keep that possibility a secret.

Less than 5% why?? because it makes to much damn sense. If players are really all about winning as they say and want to be the best and win rings why wouldnt they join together with a good friend and equally amazing player to win for years to come. Especially when money wouldnt be the issue maybe a small paycut but compare that to the money they could make just by playing together it doesnt make sense why they wouldnt do it. But unfortunatley thats life.

lou seone
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
the heat are the no. 1 and most attractive spot that lebron could go in 2010 if he does not re-sign --let's say lebron;s team has a diappointing season,he see s that the cavaliers are an old team with no cap space and decides to join d. wade in miami(he loves hanging out in south beach)but the selling point would be that in addition to the heat trading one or two players to get more money for lebron is that pat riley coaches the team. how about a 20% of happening ---over or under what do ou think" ----i also beleive that is one of the reason's that he did not come to miami for the zo-wade summmer groove he was scheduled to attend--because of all the queations from newspapers reporters asking about the possibly of him signing with the heat in 2010-he wants to keep that possibility a secret.

lou seone
07-15-2009, 06:46 PM
wade,lebron,beasley and young good players cook and chalmers----moon,haslem.j.oneal resigns at a cheap rate and riley coaches the team--free agents will come to south beach and play for the veterans min.

DabullsDabearsD
07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
the heat are the no. 1 and most attractive spot that lebron could go in 2010 if he does not re-sign --let's say lebron;s team has a diappointing season,he see s that the cavaliers are an old team with no cap space and decides to join d. wade in miami(he loves hanging out in south beach)but the selling point would be that in addition to the heat trading one or two players to get more money for lebron is that pat riley coaches the team. how about a 20% of happening ---over or under what do ou think" ----i also beleive that is one of the reason's that he did not come to miami for the zo-wade summmer groove he was scheduled to attend--because of all the queations from newspapers reporters asking about the possibly of him signing with the heat in 2010-he wants to keep that possibility a secret.

How much time do you actually think Lebron or anyone else is going to have during a season to "hang out in south beach"? The whole South Beach thing is so over-rated it isn't even funny. The way bigger thing with Miami is the no state taxes, not south beach.

As for a Lebron/Wade combo, it isn't going to happen. Wade is not going to want to be Pippen to Lebrons, Jordan.

As for the Bulls, Im 100% positive the Bulls will end up with either LeBron, Wade, Bosh or Amare. My guess is it will be Wade.

As for Riley, Nobody these days want to play for him. He's a di ck.

Chronz
07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Rockets have Tmac's max salary off the books. i'm sure that gives them enough money to look for a star.

Didnt you read the post?

blastmasta26
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
2010 will be more exciting than this offseason at the start, but probably end up disappointing.

b_rad23
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
How much time do you actually think Lebron or anyone else is going to have during a season to "hang out in south beach"? The whole South Beach thing is so over-rated it isn't even funny. The way bigger thing with Miami is the no state taxes, not south beach.

As for a Lebron/Wade combo, it isn't going to happen. Wade is not going to want to be Pippen to Lebrons, Jordan.

As for the Bulls, Im 100% positive the Bulls will end up with either LeBron, Wade, Bosh or Amare. My guess is it will be Wade.

As for Riley, Nobody these days want to play for him. He's a di ck.

My guess is the Bulls will not get any big F/A, Wade stays, Riley doesn't coach, and that Wade and Lebron would be willing to co-lead a team if they were paid the same and co-caps.

daleja424
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
omg...I am amazed at how many people STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THE NBA SALARY CAP. Some people are pretty dense. How can people keep saying the same dumb things about having rich owners who dont care about the salary cap. The salary cap is not a suggestion people! You cant just ignore it!

Red222
07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
:rolleyes:
My guess is the Bulls will not get any big F/A, Wade stays, Riley doesn't coach, and that Wade and Lebron would be willing to co-lead a team if they were paid the same and co-caps.