PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Gortat 'disappointed' that Magic matched Mavs' offer

no1baller
07-14-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/13/magic.gortat.ap/index.html

Big Zo
07-14-2009, 10:33 AM
"I vish I could go play for team that never win **** and have fat fruity owner."

AirJordanXVIII
07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
What a bum.

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
How can you blame the guy for wanting to carve his own path and start his career? Now he will be a backup until he's 30, playing 10 minutes a game. I'd be upset too.

effen5
07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
How can you blame the guy for wanting to carve his own path and start his career? Now he will be a backup until he's 30, playing 10 minutes a game. I'd be upset too.

Agreed

Wizard of O's
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I bet he gets traded to Houston on Dec. 15th. haha

Tom81
07-14-2009, 11:06 AM

agreed

ManRam
07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't blame him for being a little upset. Everyone wants to go to the place where your career benefits the most...in any field of profession. However dissappointed he is, I hope he acts professional when the season starts, and gets over it. I don't doubt he will. He seems like a great guy.

Sportfan
07-14-2009, 11:10 AM
thats gotta suck being behind the best big in the NBA

oh well wouldve been really weird if he was actually a star in the making

blastmasta26
07-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Does this mean Magic let Dwight Howard walk in 2011? :)

dee279
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeaah i bet the Mavs are disappointed too.

AntwanN21
07-14-2009, 11:18 AM
oh come on sure id be a little upset but the guy is making a ton of money on a championshi caliber team

prodigy
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
magic are paying this guy 34mill for 5min off the bench. lol.

blastmasta26
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't know, maybe they will give him more time as a power forward or something.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2009, 11:29 AM

and the cavs are paying varajao 50 million for 6 years whos not even as productive as gortat is, lol

ctitus45
07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
you have to remember, there is nothing more important to these international players than representing their country in the NBA...The guy was looking forward to growing as a player and becoming one of Poland's greatest basketball players. Also, he would be playing in a bigger market and along side arguably the greatest international player of all time. can't blame this guy for being upset.

Trouble87
07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
commendable that he wants the chance to earn his money... play big mins and carve out his own nitch in the NBA

Blah Blah Blah
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Agree with that.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
you have to remember, there is nothing more important to these international players than representing their country in the NBA...The guy was looking forward to growing as a player and becoming one of Poland's greatest basketball players. Also, he would be playing in a bigger market and along side arguably the greatest international player of all time. can't blame this guy for being upset.

i dont feel bad for him. the man is getting paid a 100,000 on a championship contender. if it wasnt for this team and their run in the playoffs, no one would know who this man was. the magic made this guy into what he was today. suck it up and play ball

GCOOKIE7
07-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Or he could play much more ball.

The man loves the sport and wants some minutes that he could easily get on another team.

prodigy
07-14-2009, 11:40 AM
and the cavs are paying varajao 50 million for 6 years whos not even as productive as gortat is, lol

42mill, over 6 year and he is WAYYYYYY more productive then gortat. Don't be dumb.

blastmasta26
07-14-2009, 11:42 AM
42mill, over 6 year and he is WAYYYYYY more productive then gortat. Don't be dumb.
More productive because he gets more minutes.

Heyyo1900
07-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Anybody will look productive next to Ben Wallace and Illgauskus.

tland22
07-14-2009, 12:19 PM

exactly:clap:

IBleedPurple
07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't blame him either, but you can't let your agent speak out like this. Gortat is overrated anyway, and time will prove this

Chronz
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
i dont feel bad for him. the man is getting paid a 100,000 on a championship contender. if it wasnt for this team and their run in the playoffs, no one would know who this man was. the magic made this guy into what he was today. suck it up and play ball

Your wrong, everyone that matters (GM's in the league) knew who he was. Just because you didnt know about the guy doesnt mean nobody else did.

thedfactor
07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Rightfully so. It's not about the money for him which is respectable. Gortat easily deserves close to the money he got because he's got the on brink potential to be a very serviceable starting center in the league. Those don't come around as often as shooters and scorers. He really wanted an opportunity to play 30-35 minutes each night and show what he could do given that time. We'll have to wait and see now, unfortunate. He can block any trade for a year now so maybe he ends up elsewhere, but I know he was really thrilled to play for Dallas with Kidd and Dirk.

mitch91
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
yeh ive read that he is disappointed, but can somebody tell me, did he HAVE to sign with orl after they matched? could he not have said no thanks and went with what dallas offered?

BRADY4MVP
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
can NBA teams do what the NFL does with the "poison pills" in contracts??

scotttube
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Isn't it possible that Gortat could play a lot when the Magic "go big" or even start with a lineup of PG Nelson, SG Carter/Pietrus, SF Lewis/Pietrus, PF Howard, C Gortat?

What about when they play the Cavs and O'Neal, Ilgauskas, James, West and Williams are on the floor. The Cavs have two players over 7 feet who play 30 mins a night. Surely Gortat will play more than 10 mins.

The Celtics also have 4 legit bigs in KG, Sheed and Perk and Big Baby. Gortat could be used to guard a center type player (Perk or BB) with Howard guarding KG or Sheed.

Gortat's role obviously won't be as big in Orlando but its not like he would be a 40 minute starting Center one place and 10 minute a night scrub in the other. If Orlando uses him like that for $7 million a year that would be very dumb.

rhaas74
07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
More productive because he gets more minutes.

Actaully do the math. Account for the minutes and see what happens. Here I will help you. AV gets the slight edge in points per minute while having a more noticeable edge in both steals per minute and assists per minute. Gortat has the edge in rebounds per minute and blocks per minute.

Now also keep in mind that they are getting paid about the same per year. I would rather sink that money into someone who is getting more playing time and is going to be the future starter.

Chronz
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Isn't it possible that Gortat could play a lot when the Magic "go big" or even start with a lineup of PG Nelson, SG Carter/Pietrus, SF Lewis/Pietrus, PF Howard, C Gortat?

What about when they play the Cavs and O'Neal, Ilgauskas, James, West and Williams are on the floor. The Cavs have two players over 7 feet who play 30 mins a night. Surely Gortat will play more than 10 mins.

The Celtics also have 4 legit bigs in KG, Sheed and Perk and Big Baby. Gortat could be used to guard a center type player (Perk or BB) with Howard guarding KG or Sheed.

Gortat's role obviously won't be as big in Orlando but its not like he would be a 40 minute starting Center one place and 10 minute a night scrub in the other. If Orlando uses him like that for $7 million a year that would be very dumb.

Agreed, he should see an expanded role this year

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Your wrong, everyone that matters (GM's in the league) knew who he was. Just because you didnt know about the guy doesnt mean nobody else did.

no your wrong. no one knew who he was, i knew who he was cause i follow the magic and was talking about him on here during the season and you can go back at to my old posts. if people knew who he was then phoenix would not have shipped him off for nothing or let him go for nothing.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM

please..... no where near as productive and he gets more minutes then gortat. ill give varajao is a better defender cause he knows how to flop with the best of them and im not downing that. hey if you can get away with it then do it, but over all no freaking way is he better then gortat or teams would of been chasing after him.

jetsfan718
07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
this guy is the man i see him in orlando with a different girl everytime lol

jetsfan718
07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
at the pool lol

Ollie Tabooger
07-14-2009, 05:43 PM
please..... no where near as productive and he gets more minutes then gortat. ill give varajao is a better defender cause he knows how to flop with the best of them and im not downing that. hey if you can get away with it then do it, but over all no freaking way is he better then gortat or teams would of been chasing after him.

+1. Gortat >>> Varejao.

Havoc Wreaker
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Does this mean that the Mavs are stuck with Dampier?

cHi8DaL5LA420
07-14-2009, 05:58 PM
i can see why he would be dissappointed this guy likes to play and from what i seem of him in the playoffs i consider him a tough nba player...he no doubt couldve started for the mavs

Spurred1
07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
yeh ive read that he is disappointed, but can somebody tell me, did he HAVE to sign with orl after they matched? could he not have said no thanks and went with what dallas offered?

He's a restricted FA. If the team that originally has him matches the offer, he has no choice. He has to stay with that first team.

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Does this mean that the Mavs are stuck with Dampier?

For now yes, but that's not such a terrible thing. Dampier played well in his last contract yr, and is still a good defender in the paint as long as he isn't playing a ton of minutes. Also having Dampier is great b/c he will be one of the biggest trade chips on the market going forward, with his 13 mil expiring this season. Dallas still has the full MLE to add a C who can play 15-20 a game, and will still have money left over to grab another role player. I would of liked to have Gortat b/c he is young, but I'm not too upset this way either.

Verbal Christ
07-14-2009, 06:29 PM
ummm yea dont hold your breath on GM's banging down your door for dampier (does he still think he's the best center?) 13 mill for a guy who will probably be in foul troube within the first 5 minutes of the game might be a tough pill for any team to swallow regardless of salary situation.

MPScribbles
07-14-2009, 06:37 PM

You nailed it. You must feel like the superstar in this thread with everyone just riding on your answer.

JabberJaw
07-14-2009, 06:42 PM

I agree, but I also think it's much better to be on a championship contender than a team that hopes to be in the discussion. Some players are driven by the ring and some are driven for more personal reasons. Gortat wants to be a key contributor. Nothin really wrong with that.

ackar
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
his position is he wants to BE the Man in the middle no a bench warmer. No one wants to play second fiddle this stunt his growth.

Young2Kinsler
07-14-2009, 09:22 PM
ummm yea dont hold your breath on GM's banging down your door for dampier (does he still think he's the best center?) 13 mill for a guy who will probably be in foul troube within the first 5 minutes of the game might be a tough pill for any team to swallow regardless of salary situation.

You don't think in this economic environment a 13 million dollar expiring contract is worth something? Good Point.

MAC10TIZZY
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM

its almost as bad as paying anderson varejao $50 million..lol

MAC10TIZZY
07-14-2009, 10:02 PM

ummm....REWIND.....sorry dude you beat me to it

gaspar
07-15-2009, 03:27 AM
no your wrong. no one knew who he was, i knew who he was cause i follow the magic and was talking about him on here during the season and you can go back at to my old posts. if people knew who he was then phoenix would not have shipped him off for nothing or let him go for nothing.

You're right, 4 years ago when he was traded from phoenix no one knew who he was, but in the middle of this year season many people knew who he was

Havoc Wreaker
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
For now yes, but that's not such a terrible thing. Dampier played well in his last contract yr, and is still a good defender in the paint as long as he isn't playing a ton of minutes. Also having Dampier is great b/c he will be one of the biggest trade chips on the market going forward, with his 13 mil expiring this season. Dallas still has the full MLE to add a C who can play 15-20 a game, and will still have money left over to grab another role player. I would of liked to have Gortat b/c he is young, but I'm not too upset this way either.

Thank you for the answer :up:

Go Mavs!

Rome
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd be upset too. From being a bench player to a start....bench player. Cant complain too much though, hes still a Magic.

Nighthawk
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Thats the whole point. Gortat WANTS to PLAY ball. But In Orlando he wont be seeing the court much with D-12 there. He would of beat out Dampier for the starting job for sure

masalex1205
07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
GOrtat would be great in OKC

rhaas74
07-15-2009, 05:07 PM
its almost as bad as paying anderson varejao $50 million..lol

Actaully it's $42.5. And the final year is for $11, with half of it guaranteed. They built that in to make him trade bait leading into that year. So in all reality it is a 5 year contract to the Cavs with him making roughly $6 a year, with the cap number below that for next year, when it is most important. Yep, such a terrible deal for a guy that will be the starting C for our team next year. And he will be a borderline 10-10 guy without getting a ton of touches. Meanwhile Gortat will rot on the bench making as much money, if not more. Yep, Ferry is an idiot.