PDA

View Full Version : Iverson in 'serious talks' with Clippers

jimbobjarree
07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Reporting from Las Vegas -- Talks between the Clippers and free-agent guard Allen Iverson have been characterized as "very serious," according a source close to Iverson who was not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations.

The Clippers have long been intrigued by Iverson, having come close to acquiring him in the past.

As recently as last week, however, their interest in him was considered more of a long shot.

The Clippers were also waiting to see what would happen with their trade that sent Zach Randolph to Memphis, but that deal is scheduled to be completed Friday.

Iverson is looking at the $5.8-million mid-level exception for next season, and one of his other potential suitors, the Miami Heat, is reportedly unwilling to offer more than $2 million for one season.

Until now, the team expressing the most interest in Iverson was Memphis, but team owner Michael Heisley was quoted today in the Commercial Appeal as saying he thought the Grizzlies were a last resort for Iverson.

Iverson, who turned 34 last month, was traded from Denver to Detroit last season and had a disappointing season for the Pistons. He also caused a flap during the spring when he said he didn't want to come off the bench for the Pistons.

Iverson averaged a career-low 17.5 points in 57 games for Denver and Detroit. He won the NBA MVP award in the 2000-01 season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers14-2009jul14,0,3368713.story

jimbobjarree
07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
good move for all I think, unless Iverson gets in the way of Gordons development.

Iron24th
07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Iverson to the clipps? LOL

blastmasta26
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Iverson, B Davis, Eric Gordon? Odd combo.

mikantsass
07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Bad move, he and B Diddy can not co-exist

LA_cabals
07-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Don't see it happening. You just cannot have B Davis and Iverson on the same team.

pd7631
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't know if it would work in LA or not....but damn, that's a lot of talent on one team.

Allen Iverson
Baron Davis
Marcus Camby
Eric Gordon
Blake Griffin
Chris Kaman
Al Thornton

The good news for that team is that both Griffin and Camby don't need the ball to be effective, and Gordon can spot up for 3's.

I think a coach like Phil Jackson or Pat Riley would get that team to buy into a common goal, and that squad could do damage. But I don't think Dunleavy has what it takes.

B_Rad01
thats a horrible move 4 tha clips . Iverson demands tha ball in order 2 b effective plus he wuld get in tha way of gordons developement

GoatMilk
bad for Clips IMO

EJ won't ever see the ball again

NYYCowboys
07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
They have a good young core developing why would they get Iverson who is washed up and a ball hog to take away minutes from Eric Gordon and they're other young players.

OT Thriller
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Essentially, Eric Gordon plays the same role that Allen Iverson plays. Why go after AI when you have Gordon?

Chronz
07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Essentially, Eric Gordon plays the same role that Allen Iverson plays. Why go after AI when you have Gordon?
4 Depth

I love it, but we need a coach to make it all fit, Dunleavy isnt the guy.

AI would replace the **** minutes we got from Ricky or whoever was playing backup PG/SG.

mrjames7
07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
You know what Iverson's career assist numbers are better than Billups, T parker, Gilbert Arenas, and Derek Fisher but Iverson is a Ball hog. Because he is able to score that makes him a ball hog. Wow. He lead Denver in assist and scoring but he will not pass the ball. Some of these copy cat post are amazing

sixer04fan
07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
AI and B-Diddy... That would be a sight to see haha

Trouble87
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
don't see this happening...

Clippers might have a good young core in Griffin, Gordon, Thorton, Jordan, and Taylor... no reason to bring in Iverson

OT Thriller
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
4 Depth

AI would replace the **** minutes we got from Ricky or whoever was playing backup PG/SG.

You know now that I think about it, signing AI for one year might be great for not only the Clippers but for Gordon. When he was at IU and even his first year in the league, Gordon proved he was talented but still very raw. What better way to improve your game then learn from a player that has a similar style of play as you in Allen Iverson.

This makes a little more sense now.

ElMarroAfamado
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
while i understand that Iverson would fit perfect on a team like this (we would have stretches WHERE IT SEEMED NO ONE WANTED THE BALL and the clippers couldnt score if their lives depended on it)
there is realy no bad shot on a team where they struggle most of the time to even get decent shots off.....
and he would sell tickets......

BUT
people are right Eric Gordon has the potential to be the best rookie from his class if given the minutes and id rather he get minutes than someone like a AI
EG would probably be relegated to a "3 pt shooter" and he has the abilities to be so much more........

but this is interesting nonetheless...

ElMarroAfamado
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
and yeah i agree if they do this it should be a 1 year deal and see what happens....i mean its not like if we can do worse than we did last year

BkOriginalOne
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Bad Clippers.
This team would be uncoachable.
Unless they plan out blowing it up moving everyone but Allen Iverson and Griffin, then they have something there.

SensandRaps
07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
that wouldnt make a bad backcourt combo
Davis and Gordon start
AI plays backup for both positions
*all players get around 30 minutes so they will be happy...hopefully

thedfactor
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Terrible idea. Maybe Iverson off the bench for LA....the lakers. And that's IF they would actually want him. But come on if he goes to the clippers its ******** and he doesn't care about a championship as much as money.

what54!?
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
won't work davis and gordon will start and A.I. doesn't want to be a bench player

rick66ankiel24
07-13-2009, 08:47 PM
i dont think hes going to want to sign with the heat if they're only offering $2 million, so either clippers or grizz.. id say he doesnt really fit either very well

bigvdebo86
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
i think ai needs to go to miami

Highlight
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM

4 Depth

I think the better answer would be: to fill up seats. In these tough economic times, Iverson would help benefit a team like the clippers. There are a lot of basketball fans in LA that would love to go watch all the talent on the Clippers.

Lakers tickets are so expensive. I could see a lot of basketball fans watching the Clippers if they pick up Iverson and compete somewhat. This is a great economic decision (in my opinion), if the Clippers follow through with this.

sixer04fan
07-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I think the better answer would be: to fill up seats. In these tough economic times, Iverson would help benefit a team like the clippers. There are a lot of basketball fans in LA that would love to go watch all the talent on the Clippers.

Lakers tickets are so expensive. I could see a lot of basketball fans watching the Clippers if they pick up Iverson and compete somewhat. This is a great economic decision (in my opinion), if the Clippers follow through with this.

exactly. good points. iverson can still fill up an arena, and with b-diddy and blake griffin. they'd sell a lot of tickets and make a lot of money. There's a reason iverson still gets voted to the allstar games. people love to watch him play.

Silent
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
la will get the lotto again if they sign ai

Statik1
07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Talk about a **** shooting percentage for one team....

naztrack
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
just when you think "hey maybe this is the year the clippers turn things around", they go ahead and do something like this. Huge mistake for the clips, i really wanna see them be competitive this year.

Chronz
07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
You know now that I think about it, signing AI for one year might be great for not only the Clippers but for Gordon. When he was at IU and even his first year in the league, Gordon proved he was talented but still very raw. What better way to improve your game then learn from a player that has a similar style of play as you in Allen Iverson.

This makes a little more sense now.

Plus the Clippers have players who could thrive off of AI's style of play, they got rid of Z-Bo and replaced him with a banger, when AI drives and misses they have bigs who can crash the boards. Larry Brown used to say AI's misses atleast created offensive rebounding opportunities for his bigs because they were so limited/raw offensively it helped their game. I dont know much about Blake but from what I gather hes not going to be a goto guy from the getgo, so he can concentrate on rebounding. I know Kaman, well, hes better when hes not a primary scoring option.

Eric may not see the 34MPG he got this year with AI on the team but he could be more efficient because of it. Plus I hear rumors that hes trying to expand his game so that he could play abit more PG, if so he and AI could definitely play heavy minutes. Between him, Diddy, and AI, theres enough minutes at the guard spots. Mike Taylor isnt ready to contribute anyways. And EG thrives when defenses dont pay attention to him, he would make a great drive and kick option for AI. I see EG more like Michael Redd in the making, but if AI can show him how to create for his teammates, he could be so much more.

and while Gordon might not get

Chronz
07-13-2009, 09:28 PM

Oh yeah definitely man, AI is still a draw, especially in LA. Id do it for the monetary reasons alone, but this is a situation where he could (if he makes the best of it) actually contribute to a team at a high level.

Derick713
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
IF THE CLIPPERS DID IT RIGHT

THIS WOULD BE THE MOST INTERESTING TEAM
Baron Davis/Mardy Collins
Allen Iverson/Eric Gordon
Al Thornton/Steve Novak
Zack Randolph/Blake Griffin
Marcus Camby/Chris Kaman

OBredskin
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I understand how some of you feel about AI....but ask some players in the NBA how much attention he gets on the court, he gets more respect for his ability (even today) from NBA players than from most fans. AI still has some left in the tank....and for him not to start of Eric Gordon is insane to me. Eric Gordon...only thing you can give him credit for is what he MIGHT do in the future. AI is proven and if he went to the Clips, he would make them better, because last I checked, they couldn't do no worse. And like u guys said above, AI in LA would sell some tickets FOR SURE!!!

Ware_Spencer
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
You know how everyone said the Clippers will find a way to screw up the 1st pick in the draft! They are about to do it.

Iverson is one of the worst players in this league. He only hurts the team. He will ruin the development of every player on this team. Everyone here is talking about Gordon. Which is absolutely true. But Griffin will be a year behind in every offensive category except maybe offensive rebounds.

Mike Dunleavy needs to be fired.

Overpaid for Baron Davis
Gave Chris Kaman a stupid contract.
traded for Zach Randolph who is a cancer
He thinks he can just bring in talented players and expect chemistry to work.

Iverson does not pass the ball unless he is double or triple teams and he gets a large amount of turnovers in the process. He thinks the guy setting him a pick is so he can get the open shot. Rather than look for the big guy rolling. How often do you see Iverson throwing the ball into the post? ha ha

Blake Griffin will be ruined by Iverson his first year. Eric Gordon & Al Thornton shoot enough bad shots and don't play team ball.

I feel really bad for Blake Griffin right now. He could easily be an all-star and if they don't development him properly they could turn him into a role player.

FIRE DUNLEAVY!

willthethrill22
07-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Davis and Iverson wont work. Davis runs up and shoots bad 3's a lot of times, and Iverson dribbles around a lot. There wouldn't be very good ball movement in that team.

pd7631
07-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Plus the Clippers have players who could thrive off of AI's style of play, they got rid of Z-Bo and replaced him with a banger, when AI drives and misses they have bigs who can crash the boards. Larry Brown used to say AI's misses atleast created offensive rebounding opportunities for his bigs because they were so limited/raw offensively it helped their game. I dont know much about Blake but from what I gather hes not going to be a goto guy from the getgo, so he can concentrate on rebounding. I know Kaman, well, hes better when hes not a primary scoring option.

Eric may not see the 34MPG he got this year with AI on the team but he could be more efficient because of it. Plus I hear rumors that hes trying to expand his game so that he could play abit more PG, if so he and AI could definitely play heavy minutes. Between him, Diddy, and AI, theres enough minutes at the guard spots. Mike Taylor isnt ready to contribute anyways. And EG thrives when defenses dont pay attention to him, he would make a great drive and kick option for AI. I see EG more like Michael Redd in the making, but if AI can show him how to create for his teammates, he could be so much more.

and while Gordon might not get

exactly.

Like you and I have both said, this team could work, the only problem would be Mike Dunleavy getting the pieces to mesh.

pd7631
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
You know how everyone said the Clippers will find a way to screw up the 1st pick in the draft! They are about to do it.

Iverson is one of the worst players in this league. He only hurts the team. He will ruin the development of every player on this team. Everyone here is talking about Gordon. Which is absolutely true. But Griffin will be a year behind in every offensive category except maybe offensive rebounds.

Mike Dunleavy needs to be fired.

Overpaid for Baron Davis
Gave Chris Kaman a stupid contract.
traded for Zach Randolph who is a cancer
He thinks he can just bring in talented players and expect chemistry to work.

Iverson does not pass the ball unless he is double or triple teams and he gets a large amount of turnovers in the process. He thinks the guy setting him a pick is so he can get the open shot. Rather than look for the big guy rolling. How often do you see Iverson throwing the ball into the post? ha ha

Blake Griffin will be ruined by Iverson his first year. Eric Gordon & Al Thornton shoot enough bad shots and don't play team ball.

I feel really bad for Blake Griffin right now. He could easily be an all-star and if they don't development him properly they could turn him into a role player.

FIRE DUNLEAVY!

1.) Saying AI is one of the worst players in the league is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say......ever.

2.) The knock on Blake Griffin is that he is not polished enough offensively(jumpshot, back to the basket) to contribute right away on offense. So the best thing for him to do this season if he wants to make an impact is with his rebounding, which all scouts have said his rebounding ability is the one thing guaranteed to translate from the college game to the NBA. Also, with AI and Baron in the backcourt, they will be able to run a fast pace offense which will allow Griffin to run the floor and do the things he did in college(easy buckets and dunks).

3.) Allen Iverson has a higher career APG, FG%, and lower TO% than Chauncey Billups......oh and AI's NOT A PG!!!!! He's not supposed to get assists.

So continue to blindly hate on AI without knowing any facts or having any real reasoning for your idiotic statements.

Highlight
07-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah definitely man, AI is still a draw, especially in LA. Id do it for the monetary reasons alone, but this is a situation where he could (if he makes the best of it) actually contribute to a team at a high level.

Yeah, for sure man. That team has too much talent not to succeed. I hope they pick up AI. They could surprise a lot of people IMO. I wouldn't mind catching a few Clippers' games with AI on board and with everyone healthy.

dsonLAL24
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
the Clips need to get rid of Dunleavy to actually be good.

Go Dodgers!
07-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I can see this working if the Clippers played the same run and gun style like the Warriors, But like everybody has mention the Clippers success will start when dunleavy is gone..

ko8e24
07-13-2009, 11:04 PM
AI and Camby reunite, lol

bahama0811
07-13-2009, 11:07 PM
1.) Saying AI is one of the worst players in the league is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say......ever.

2.) The knock on Blake Griffin is that he is not polished enough offensively(jumpshot, back to the basket) to contribute right away on offense. So the best thing for him to do this season if he wants to make an impact is with his rebounding, which all scouts have said his rebounding ability is the one thing guaranteed to translate from the college game to the NBA. Also, with AI and Baron in the backcourt, they will be able to run a fast pace offense which will allow Griffin to run the floor and do the things he did in college(easy buckets and dunks).

3.) Allen Iverson has a higher career APG, FG%, and lower TO% than Chauncey Billups......oh and AI's NOT A PG!!!!! He's not supposed to get assists.

So continue to blindly hate on AI without knowing any facts or having any real reasoning for your idiotic statements.

No, AI's not a PG but he has the ball more than most PG's in the game today. I watched him for the few years he was here in Denver. He's definitely an underrated passer but having the ball as much as he does you'd expect to see his assist's up.

cowboyz180
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
bad move...

SB75
07-13-2009, 11:28 PM
This could work for Iverson, if they trade Davis.

BTownTeamsRKing
07-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Eric Gordon doesnt sell tickets. AI does.

think about the clippers management and maybe you will understand. its not about winning. its about dollars

Ware_Spencer
07-13-2009, 11:41 PM

The only thing idiotic is fans like you who judge players on there stats. Its moronic to think that Iverson makes any team better. He dribbles around in circles and only passes when he can't shoot. Any guy in the league can dominate the ball and shoot when he wants and put up big stats. While the rest of the team never gets involved into the offense.
That is an idiotic statement to suggest that Blake Griffin does not need the ball to improve. Of course his rebounding will translate that is common sense in nba scouting. But how can you translate the practice time you put into our offensive post moves and jump shot into a real game when the moron guards won't pass the ball? Development comes with experience and practice. He needs the ball to become better and actually use the things he learns in practice against real opponents. Clippers hopefully know Blake Griffin is there future. And turning him into just a role player his first year won't allow him to develop.

Blake Griffin was running in a slower paced offense you moron. Your obviously just a dumb fan who just watched highlights of when they fast breaked and he ran the floor. Again another moronic comment. He played with his back to the basket a lot. And he faced up also. Even if they run the fast pace offense a HORRIBLE player like Iverson won't pass him the ball.

It does not matter whether or not Iverson is playing point guard or not. Iverson dominated the ball. Again more dumb comments from you. You watch highlights and look at stats and positions. Rather than actually analyzing how teams play and players. He constantly dribbles around in circles and shoots fade away jumpers. And every time he gets a pick he looks to shoot 90% of the time. He stops ball movement all together. So Iverson turns all of his teammates into catch and shoot players. And they don't get the ball that often so its out of the ordinary for them to be shooting.

Billups knows about team chemistry and keeping the ball moving. His shot selection is not great. But he understands team ball. Iverson does not. I am not that high on Billups. I think people are giving him more credit than he deserves. Iverson leaving made more of an impact the Billups coming in. Meaning Iverson made them more worse than Billups made them better.

Any guy shooting 42% is not a good scorer. And does not deserve to be shooting. Also if you noticed Billups shoots a high percentage of 3 point shots. Which decreases his shooting percentage. But if you actually look at his 3 point percentage it is good. Iverson shoots mainly mid range shots. And still shoots a very bad percentage. Either way both guys shoot a bad percentage.

Iverson ruins chemistry and team ball! That is bigger than any stat. STATS ARE NOT FACTS MORON! It only tells part of the story. Just like if you get a lot of blocks that doesn't make you a good man to man defender.

"Allen Iverson has a higher career APG, FG%, and lower TO% than Chauncey Billups"

Career Assist to Turnover Ratio
Iverson's - 1.7
Billups - 2.7

"knowing any facts or having any real reasoning for your idiotic statements."

Wow stick your foot in your mouth. Please stop with this nonsense. Its pathetic.

I've shown you stats. And team chemistry & ball movement is more than enough reasoning. And I think that every NBA team right now would agree. There is a reason why he keeps getting traded for nothing. And why nobody wants him. And nobody will give him more than a 1 year deal. HE SUCKS. He only provides ticket sales and moronic fans like you buy them because of his image and stats.

P.S. Also there is a lot of GM's & Coaches in this league who wouldn't take him for free. I've heard there comments. Jerry Sloan admitted he would resign that day.

J_M_B
07-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Iverson and B-diddy can't be on the same team haha

BTownTeamsRKing
07-13-2009, 11:45 PM
funny how ppl think this is to make the talent on the team better. its all about money.

dodie53
07-13-2009, 11:53 PM
bad idea imo.

Cracka2HI!
07-14-2009, 12:02 AM
As a Clipper fan I LOVE the move! Doubt this will happen but I would love it if it does. First and foremost he HAS to be coming here as a backup. Gordon has to start because he is our only gaurd that can play D. If Iverson is willing to come off the bench he is a perfect fit in theory. We needed a guy who could score and stability at PG off the bench. AI would give us that for sure. He may end up starting PG if we get the same Baron as last year. This would also allow us to trade Baron without a huge immediate loss at PG. The list of positives is longer then the list of negatives.

pd7631
07-14-2009, 12:06 AM
The only thing idiotic is fans like you who judge players on there stats. Its moronic to think that Iverson makes any team better. He dribbles around in circles and only passes when he can't shoot. Any guy in the league can dominate the ball and shoot when he wants and put up big stats. While the rest of the team never gets involved into the offense.
That is an idiotic statement to suggest that Blake Griffin does not need the ball to improve. Of course his rebounding will translate that is common sense in nba scouting. But how can you translate the practice time you put into our offense post moves and jump shot into a real game when the moron guards won't pass the ball? Development comes with experience and practice. He needs the ball to become better and actually use the things he learns in practice against real opponents. Clippers hopefully know Blake Griffin is there future. And turning him into just a role player his first year won't allow him to develop.

Blake Griffin was running in a slower paced offense you moron. Your obviously just a dumb fan who just watched highlights of when they fast breaked and he ran the floor. Again another moronic comment. He played with his back to the basket a lot. And he faced up also. Even if they run the fast pace offense a HORRIBLE player like Iverson won't pass him the ball.

It does not matter whether or not Iverson is playing point guard or not. Iverson dominated the ball. Again more dumb comments from you. You watch highlights and look at stats and positions. Rather than actually analyzing how teams play and players. He constantly dribbles around in circles and shoots fade away jumpers. And every time he gets a pick he looks to shoot 90% of the time. He stops ball movement all together. So Iverson turns all of his teammates into catch and shoot players. And they don't get the ball that often so its out of the ordinary for them to be shooting.

Billups knows about team chemistry and keeping the ball moving. His shot selection is not great. But he understands team ball. Iverson does not. I am not that high on Billups. I think people are giving him more credit than he deserves. Iverson leaving made more of an impact the Billups coming in. Meaning Iverson made them more worse than Billups made them better.

Any guy shooting 42% is not a good scorer. And does not deserve to be shooting. Also if you noticed Billups mainly takes 3 point shots. Which decreases his shooting percentage. But if you actually look at his 3 point percentage it is good. Iverson shoots mainly mid range shots. And still shoots a very bad percentage. Either way both guys shoot a bad percentage.

Iverson ruins chemistry and team ball! That is bigger than any stat. STATS ARE NOT FACTS MORON! It only tells part of the story. Just like if you get a lot of blocks that doesn't make you a good man to man defender.

"Allen Iverson has a higher career APG, FG%, and lower TO% than Chauncey Billups"

Career Assist to Turnover Ratio
Iverson's - 1.7
Billups - 2.7

"knowing any facts or having any real reasoning for your idiotic statements."

Wow stick your foot in your mouth. Please stop with this non sense. Its pathetic.

I've shown you stats. And team chemistry & ball movement is more than enough reasoning. And I think that every NBA team right now would agree. There is a reason why he keeps getting traded for nothing. And why nobody wants him. And nobody will give him more than a 1 year deal. HE SUCKS. He only provides ticket sales and moronic fans like you buy them because of his image and stats.

P.S. Also there is a lot of GM's & Coaches in this league who wouldn't take him for free. I've heard there comments. Jerry Sloan admitted he would resign that day.

1.) As a Sixer fan I watched Allen Iverson come into a situation where the Sixers were the league doormat for year after year following the Charles Barkely, and he turned the team around. He took us to 5 consecutive playoff appearances, including a trip to the Finals. If he didn't make the Sixers a better team, then nobody on the face of the earth can make a team better.

2.) Griffin is not ready to play with his back to the basket, and he does not have a good jumper. Rookies stay on the floor by making an impact on defense and with hustle, that's what he should worry about this season. You're basically asking the Clippers to be in the lottery again if you want them to throw it to Griffin every posession and make him the go to guy on offense. He can put up points on fast breaks and with offensive rebounding and put backs. He'd get abused if he tried to be a back to the basket guy this season.

3.) I watched nearly every Sixers game that Allen Iverson every played in, so please don't accuse me of only knowing what position the guy plays and what his stats are. The guy is incredible. Deal with it.

4.)TOV%
Turnover Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV). Turnover percentage is an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays.........
^^^
Allen Iverson's TOV% is lower than Chauncey Billups'

5.)"He Sucks" :crazy: I can't say I've ever seen a league MVP that sucked.

Wow, I also managed to do all that without grade school name calling.

pd7631
07-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Honestly, how can anyone say this is a bad move? For god sakes it's the Clippers!!!(sorry Clipper fans)

What's the worst that could happen? They're a lottery team? Oh no, the Clippers in the lottery, what else is new.

ivylleague1'
07-14-2009, 12:31 AM
1.) As a Sixer fan I watched Allen Iverson come into a situation where the Sixers were the league doormat for year after year following the Charles Barkely, and he turned the team around. He took us to 5 consecutive playoff appearances, including a trip to the Finals. If he didn't make the Sixers a better team, then nobody on the face of the earth can make a team better.

2.) Griffin is not ready to play with his back to the basket, and he does not have a good jumper. Rookies stay on the floor by making an impact on defense and with hustle, that's what he should worry about this season. You're basically asking the Clippers to be in the lottery again if you want them to throw it to Griffin every posession and make him the go to guy on offense. He can put up points on fast breaks and with offensive rebounding and put backs. He'd get abused if he tried to be a back to the basket guy this season.

3.) I watched nearly every Sixers game that Allen Iverson every played in, so please don't accuse me of only knowing what position the guy plays and what his stats are. The guy is incredible. Deal with it.

4.)TOV%
Turnover Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV). Turnover percentage is an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays.........
^^^

FANTASTIC !!!! FANTASTIC !!!! FANTASTIC !!!! He is certainly the BEST !!! Iverson is Stupendous !!!!!

SteveNash
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM

4.)TOV%
^^^

1.)And in the end, Iverson still didn't do anything worthwhile for Philadelphia. He had one nice playoff run where he had basically all the right pieces around him to cover his flaws. And lucked into playing in an extremely weak conference. Besides that, we're talking about Allen Iverson right now, not 10 years ago. Right now Allen Iverson has proven he can't play with a group of proven guys and vetrans and you think coming to a horrible Clippers situation, AI is going to turn the team around? Not a chance.

2.)Rookie make an impact on playing defense and hustling? So why'd AI get so minutes on the floor his rookie year?

Blake Griffin won't have a great post up game next year, but he'll be more effective facing up with a Chris Bosh type game. Whatever his playing style, the Clippers would benefit in the long run from giving the ball to Griffin than giving it to a 34 year old cancer and letting it ruin that team even further.

3.) Just because you watched all of his games doesn't mean you're an expert.

4.) One thing TO% doesn't take into account, is all the bricks AI makes and before you bring up Chauncey FG%, look at the TS% and 3P%.

5.) Again, talking about the now rather than the past. Even though Shaq really deserved that MVP. Michael Jordan would suck if he came back now, just like Allen Iverson sucks right now. People age, and as the past their prime they start to decline. Some like Iverson a small SG with a still very immature game decline much faster than others.

Raph12
07-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Honestly this is a great move financially, but in terms of making young players better, I don't know. I mean he'll get Griffin enough touches, I mean if he can get a washed up C-Web 20+ppg than getting Blake Griffin points shouldn't be that hard (I understand C-Web has a better jumper, but Griffin will be able to work on his midrange jumper and drive to the rim like Kmart did in Denver) But Eric Gordon I'm not sure how that will work with Baron, Gordon and Iverson sharing the backcourt. I mean Iverson can share a backcourt, he proved that by making Eric Snow better each year on his team, but AI needed the ball in his hands most of the time and he'll decide who scores what on the team. So if the issue is getting Gordon touches, it's doable, Griffin touches, also doable, but for that to happen Baron will need to be traded. Because both AI and Baron need the ball in their hands and since AI is the one who'll be doing all of the ticket-selling I'm sure Baron goes out in which case:
PG - Allen Iverson/Mardy Collins
SG - Eric Gordon/Quenton Richardson
SF - Al Thorton/Steve Novak
PF - Blake Griffin/?(Probably who LAC would get in the Baron trade)
C - Marcus Camby/ Chris Kaman
Now this lineup WILL be better than last season's 19 wins no matter what and may surprise everyone in the season in terms of success, but one thing is guaranteed the Lakers won't be the only LA basketball team that will sell tickets. Worst case scenario they get the 1st pick of the 2010 NBA draft lol (John Wall anyone?)

Chronz
07-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Iverson and B-diddy can't be on the same team haha

If anything, B Diddy is a compliment to him since he can mask some of AI's mean weaknesses, running the offense and defending SG's. I know they arent the perfect mix, but think of it like a lesser Baron-Monta pairing.

MajorFloridaFan
07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
anyone notice he is talking to all the real bad teams go iverson

BTownTeamsRKing
07-14-2009, 01:35 AM
AI or not, the clips will be in the lotto again. this move is to get some fans to buy season tickets. thats all it is.

B-diddy and AI on the same team isnt a bad idea as much as sitting Eric Gordon who needs to develope. but guess what? the ownership doesnt give a damn about winning. they just want money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$ SPEAK LOUDLY.

MajorFloridaFan
07-14-2009, 01:43 AM
honestly iverson will tank any any any team

BTownTeamsRKing
07-14-2009, 01:55 AM
honestly iverson will tank any any any team

honestly, can he actually cause the clippers to have a worse year than they would have without him?

MajorFloridaFan
07-14-2009, 02:02 AM
honestly, can he actually cause the clippers to have a worse year than they would have without him?

Yes he once was a great player but volume shooter who commands the ball in his hands and wants minutes
he is the black hole to your teams universe....once he gets mad he ruins the locker room and all the players start rollin there eyes at the coach just like in Detroit and Denver and enranged Brown in his prime
I love iverson just not at this stage of his career notice how he is shuffling around to the desperate teams Clippers Memphis Heat next thing ill see is Minnesota and then THunder

BTownTeamsRKing
07-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Yes he once was a great player but volume shooter who commands the ball in his hands and wants minutes
he is the black hole to your teams universe....once he gets mad he ruins the locker room and all the players start rollin there eyes at the coach just like in Detroit and Denver and enranged Brown in his prime
I love iverson just not at this stage of his career notice how he is shuffling around to the desperate teams Clippers Memphis Heat next thing ill see is Minnesota and then THunder

if thats the case. he should retire. if u would make the clippers worse, your career is over.

fresh prince
07-14-2009, 02:15 AM
exactly. good points. iverson can still fill up an arena, and with b-diddy and blake griffin. they'd sell a lot of tickets and make a lot of money. There's a reason iverson still gets voted to the allstar games. people love to watch him play.

Bingo I was waiting for someone to raise this point.. The Clipps should do this more from a business standpoint than anything.. They already have some buzz going with Blake Griffin coming in but signing AI would make them relevant again..

Its really a no brainer.. On the basketball front Ai can play off the bench and man the other guard spot opposite Baron or Eric Gordon..

Raph12
07-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Bingo I was waiting for someone to raise this point.. The Clipps should do this more from a business standpoint than anything.. They already have some buzz going with Blake Griffin coming in but signing AI would make them relevant again..

Its really a no brainer.. On the basketball front Ai can play off the bench and man the other guard spot opposite Baron or Eric Gordon..

Exactly, think about it, how many times did you hear about the Los Angeles Clippers last season? AI would at least put them on the map, I mean "AI in LA" is news worthy on its own, but bringing in fans to watch the tier two team would mean alot to the organization not to mention the city lol. Btw I heard AI doesn't mind coming off the bench as long as its for a significant amount of minutes (guessing like 30-35+mins or something)

Reyes6
07-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Without reading what anyone else said... lol.... The Clippers were at the bottom of the league in points scored and allowed around 105 ppg. So the line-up is Davis/Iverson/Thornton/Griffin/Camby? Would that be right? That would not only sell tickets, but have a shot to make some noise. Plus no matter who you start you'd get a scorer off the bench.

Penetra8r
07-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Just say no

TheHeat3
07-14-2009, 02:47 AM
This move is iffy at best. Iverson can bring some publicity to the "other" LA team and help bring the people to the seats like others have already mentioned.

But, lets all remind ourselves that there is a reason why Iverson isn't being sought out more and why other organizations haven't pursued him at all.

I'm not calling him a cancer, but in his recent traveling of teams he hasn't exactly helped them the way people would like him to. There is a reason that only desperate teams are the ones actually making offers and some negotiations with him. Whether it be trying to find a "Face" of the franchise to fill up the arena (Grizzlies and Clippers) or to appease the demands of the teams superstar to bring in help regardless of who it is (Heat).