PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets acquired Arron Afflalo and Walter sharpe

Lathaniel
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Yahoo sports: Nugets acquired Arron Afflalo and Walter sharpe from detroit for a 2nd round pick.

still1ballin
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al2XuK2Nfb4Dyc8xa6KeZiW8vLYF?slug=aw-pistonstrade071309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SouljahPhil...
07-13-2009, 02:33 PM
very good trade for denver....they are becoming very deep...they replace jones with affalo.

JayW_1023
07-13-2009, 02:33 PM
If Denver expect Afflalo to fill Danthay Jones' role they'll be awfully disappointed. The Jones departure to Indiana will hurt them more than they think...with Smith as a starter, and Kleiza leaving, the Nuggets bench suddenly became very thin.

I would seek a trade for someone like Flip Murray...someone who can provide offense from the bench. Atlanta is loaded with guards now anyway so who knows...

Gibby23
07-13-2009, 02:35 PM
If Denver expect Afflalo to fill Danthay Jones' role they'll be awfully disappointed. The Jones departure to Indiana will hurt them more than they think...with Smith as a starter, and Kleiza leaving, the Nuggets bench suddenly became very thin.

Why? Afflalo>Jones. I think he is.

what54!?
07-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I think they'll start afflalo and keep smith on the bench for firepower. Afflalo is a decent option at the 2.

JayW_1023
07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Why? Afflalo>Jones. I think he is.

You have to be more eleborate than a simple ">". Afflalo is talented, but Denver has plenty of talent at the perimeter...but toughness and hardnosed defense that Jones provides is something Afflalo can't provide.

Maybe playing with his old teammate Chauncey will rub off on him who knows. Either way, it's still a decent move...and adresses the lack of depth somewhat.

Joshtd1
07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
You have to be more eleborate than a simple ">". Afflalo is talented, but Denver has plenty of talent at the perimeter...but toughness and hardnosed defense that Jones provides is something Afflalo can't provide.

Maybe playing with his old teammate Chauncey will rub off on him who knows. Either way, it's still a decent move...and adresses the lack of depth somewhat.

Jones was solid, but don't overrate him. Afflalo plays pretty good defense, and can create for himself better then Jones can.

Carey
07-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Affllalo can flat out defend, i think he's one of the best man to man defenders in the whole league, good replacement for Dahntay Jones and may be an upgrade

Durant is hype
07-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Great pickup for the nuggets.

Mr. Pistols
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I think it was good for Detroit as well. With the signing of Ben Gordon and the emergence of Deron Washington (kids gonna be a stud). I think the extra money will help them get a big.

cubbies93
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
i will miss Afflalo

RicoSteel
Afflalo is going to be a real nice player...He just needs more mins to develop. This clears more cap for Detroit who will now go after Big Baby or David Lee.

DenButsu

I would seek a trade for someone like Flip Murray...someone who can provide offense from the bench. Atlanta is loaded with guards now anyway so who knows...

Your overestimation of Dahntay Jones is devastating - and probably based on a single playoff series (the one between the Nuggets and Hornets). For the vast majority of the season, Jones was easily the worst player in the active rotation for the Nuggets. Even much worse than Anthony Carter, and that's a very hard task to accomplish.

I won't be convinced that Afflalo is an upgrade until he proves it. But at the very least, it's a lateral transaction, and one in which Denver gives up a 28-year-old D-leaguer for a 23-year-old 3rd year NBA player who at least has some upside remaining potentially.

The Nuggets have lost nothing here except for about a million and a half dollars in salary obligations. Great trade.

Ace33Bone
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I am not sure if Afflalo will really fit in with Denver but from the way most of the people in this thread are talking it seems like it is a good fit for him

JayW_1023
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Look, I'm not overrating Danthay Jones...but he provided a specific need for Nuggets fairly well for a supposed no name. Nor did I bash this trade...all I'm questioning is wether Afflalo can fulfill a role as stopper. Given his Pavlovic-ish knack for picking up silly fouls in succession...I have reasons for scepticism. But perhaps reuniting with Chauncey, he will emerge and become a solid contributor.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Really good low-key move for Denver. Afflalo is just as good defensively as Jones plus he's not offensively ******** like Jones.

J_M_B
07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Afflalo is a good defensive pickup to replace Jones and Walter Sharp should add depth. Good deal for Denver.

DenButsu
07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Look, I'm not overrating Danthay Jones...but he provided a specific need for Nuggets fairly well for a supposed no name. Nor did I bash this trade...all I'm questioning is wether Afflalo can fulfill a role as stopper. Given his Pavlovic-ish knack for picking up silly fouls in succession...I have reasons for scepticism. But perhaps reuniting with Chauncey, he will emerge and become a solid contributor.

But the thing is, Dahntay DIDN'T really fulfill a role as a stopper. That's why I say you're overestimating Jones. The one series against NOH got him a lot of media publucity in that regard that he really didn't earn over the course of the regular season. Or even, for that matter, in the playoffs some of the time.

J.R. Smith defended Kobe better than Jones did in the WCF. Jones just got more spotlight due to controversy. But rewind the tapes and review what really happened, Smitty did better one-on-one. Truth.

Denver has lost nothing.

Raoul Duke
07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Afflalo is an upgrade, at least in my opinion. He has all the tools of an elite defender. If he could just develop a reliable 3-ball, he'd be widely recognized as a starting quality player.

JWO35
07-13-2009, 03:17 PM

Afflalo is way better than Flip!!!!!!!!
And he plays excellent Defense, sad to see him go :cry:

cmellofan15
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
:clap:

We always get rid of picks so why not get Ty Lawson, Arron Afflalo, and Walter Sharpe for them. Great pick up for us.

abe_froman
07-13-2009, 05:27 PM
precursor to a boozer to det trade?

itsripcity32
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
:clap:

We always get rid of picks so why not get Ty Lawson, Arron Afflalo, and Walter Sharpe for them. Great pick up for us.

sharpe useless

DerekRE_3
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I think it was good for Detroit as well. With the signing of Ben Gordon and the emergence of Deron Washington (kids gonna be a stud). I think the extra money will help them get a big.

Don't forget Dejuan Summers, he has looked VERY good.

cr00zi3
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Great pick up for the nuggets. But i dont think afflalo will do the job as well as jones .

mark1125
07-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Good move for both.

Lets start by saying Aflalo should be a nice role player for Denver. Good attitude, solid defender, solid shooter. Walter Sharpe is terrible. I assume the Pistons made them take him as part of the deal. 2nd round pick for Aflalo.....not bad at all.

This deal was good for the Pistons as they HAVE to free up cash to get a big. They are deep at SG/SF. Sharpe was never going to play. The extra cash will help to land a Big Baby or David Lee.

I am glad the Pistons will hopefully get a big. Good move for depth for Denver. Most importantly, I am glad for Afflalo as he is a solid soldier who will hopefully see some good minutes.

GSW fan
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
good trade for both teams. kleiza is gone for sure though now

durtee
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Sad to see Afflalo go, but I am glad that he is reunited with Chauncey and hopefully will see big minutes. He has great upside, so with the right coaching and leadership (Chauncey) he should develop into a very solid player.

Hopefully this means that Joe has another move on the horizon that will get us a big guy.

AntwanN21
07-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Good trade... Denver just keeps getting depper. This was a good move seeing as though they lost Jones(couldve been a raptor)

BkOriginalOne
07-13-2009, 08:37 PM
I like the move.
Dhantay Jones defense was about 9/10.
Afflalo brings a 7.5/10 rating. But he is getting better, also he can shoot the 3, 3x better than jones, at least. And that helps Karl hold Jr. Smith at bay for a while.

Wilson
07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't know anything about Affalo, but I remember reading an interview with him a year or two ago. He said that he'd been learning from Rip Hamilton how to play in the pros, and it said that he was a great hustler. Sounds like he could be a really good player for Denver.

cowboyz180
07-13-2009, 11:19 PM
good trade for denver. It'll bring added depth for cheap.