PDA

View Full Version : What are the cavs thinking??

Chi-Town0607
07-12-2009, 05:52 AM
I just read that the cavs are about to sign Stephen Gram. I have no idea why they would think this would be a good move. There is no other team this summer that has messed up more then the cavs. The shaq trade was alright, but everything since then has been a disaster. Signing varejo to a 6 year 50 million dollar deal??!! He is the most one dimensonal player in this league! Hes pushing earning the veterans minimum. They could've signed someone like bass or milsap that would've actually filled a need. And for less money!! Then they go and waste their mid level on anthony parker. This old, unacomplished raptor is meaningless. I don't see how they could think he would be a championship team component. And now their targeting stephen gram which is basically the same player. I don't understand it. Why does cavs management insist on surrounding lebron with mediocore players. All we needed was a decent PF, at least with two strengths, and a proven defensive guard/wing. There are going to be tough times ahead for the cavs this year, and many years to come.

LAKERRS24
07-12-2009, 06:56 AM
hire Kupchak when he retires:)

Spurred1
07-12-2009, 07:01 AM
I thought they were on the verge of signing Matt Barnes. That deal with Varajao was not a terribly good one for the Cavs, but GREAT for Varajao.
Oh-and I'm not sure what the Cavs are doing.

LAKERRS24
07-12-2009, 07:04 AM
they should sign an extension with Hickson for about 5years-55milions:)

GspLAL
07-12-2009, 07:14 AM
hire Kupchak when he retires:)

This made no sense but okay

GspLAL
07-12-2009, 07:15 AM
They're thinking Shaq can play like he did in Phoenix again, which is possible I'm not saying it's not, but if he doesnt play that way, they're screwed.

LAKERRS24
07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
This made no sense but okay

Sense: They won't be able to hire him because he'll retire and they will need him.

Trouble87
07-12-2009, 08:54 AM
isn't his name "Joey Graham"?

AntwanN21
07-12-2009, 09:13 AM
isn't his name "Joey Graham"?

he has a twin who played for the pacers last year.

skinsfan4life80
07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Do you really think they make one single move on that team without checking with Lebron first. Anyone who comes there is because Lebron gave the move the OK.

spursfan21
07-12-2009, 09:36 AM
for one i agree wiith the fact that maybe the cavs too more risk with the signing of shag, might work out ok but if shaq only stands in the paint it will take away from lebrons ability to drive. And i would not even considder signing kupchak since it has took him forever to build this team the lakers have now, and thats with a trade that should have never happened for gasol.

SlaterRaps
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I just read that the cavs are about to sign Stephen Gram. I have no idea why they would think this would be a good move. There is no other team this summer that has messed up more then the cavs. The shaq trade was alright, but everything since then has been a disaster. Signing varejo to a 6 year 50 million dollar deal??!! He is the most one dimensonal player in this league! Hes pushing earning the veterans minimum. They could've signed someone like bass or milsap that would've actually filled a need. And for less money!! Then they go and waste their mid level on anthony parker. This old, unacomplished raptor is meaningless. I don't see how they could think he would be a championship team component. And now their targeting stephen gram which is basically the same player. I don't understand it. Why does cavs management insist on surrounding lebron with mediocore players. All we needed was a decent PF, at least with two strengths, and a proven defensive guard/wing. There are going to be tough times ahead for the cavs this year, and many years to come.

You got the wrong graham
theyre going after Joey Graham
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/source-cavaliers-have-interest-in-toronto-raptors-forward-joey-graham-254854.html
come on man its right there on the nba home page

slvrandblkatack
07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow a whole 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds and a horrid 18% from 3 point land. The Cavs should be targeting better talent than that. I don't know which was worst the Verajo deal or the kid they drafted in the first round this year!

thatmediadude
07-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Guys, championship teams have to have role players. You can't have a lineup full of players who go for 20/10 every night.. The Anthony Parkers and Joey Graham's of the worlds are needed.. Paid too much?? Maybe.. but still, you can't expect to have a lineup of:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Amar'e Staudemire
Dwight Howard

Would be cool though..

The Cavs are going to be awesome next year.. AWESOME.. What you should be worried about is spending all this money with King James on his way out next year.

prodigy
07-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I just read that the cavs are about to sign Stephen Gram. I have no idea why they would think this would be a good move. There is no other team this summer that has messed up more then the cavs. The shaq trade was alright, but everything since then has been a disaster.

If you don't know the cavs then Don't talk about them.

1. shaq trade was great.

2. Parker is a very good 3pt shooter, thats what the cavs need, He can also handle the ball and defend. good move.

3. AV got a 42milion dollar deal, could be 50mill with the incentives, which are scoring incentives that he won't get. So AV will make little over 7mill a season, Really not that bad. Good defender, rebounder, cutter, great at keeping plays alive. Gets every 50-50 ball. If he continues to develop his jumpshot like he has, Then he will be worth more then 7mill.

As for Joey graham, The cavs are looking at someone to backup lebron, and also a ''stretch'' PF.

Cavs are also looking at a backup PG, so you will hear more names about that. You could never be a GM dude for real. You have to look at everyone all the time no matter who you are. All options have to be open.

prodigy
07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow a whole 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds and a horrid 18% from 3 point land. The Cavs should be targeting better talent than that. I don't know which was worst the Verajo deal or the kid they drafted in the first round this year!

Ya they should target better players. Like a hear carmelo has decided to be a backup. lol. joey shot 48% from the field, not a bad roll player. But rather go after a PF and PG.

MAC10TIZZY
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM

1. shaq trade was great.

2. Parker is a very good 3pt shooter, thats what the cavs need, He can also handle the ball and defend. good move.

3. AV got a 42milion dollar deal, could be 50mill with the incentives, which are scoring incentives that he won't get. So AV will make little over 7mill a season, Really not that bad. Good defender, rebounder, cutter, great at keeping plays alive. Gets every 50-50 ball. If he continues to develop his jumpshot like he has, Then he will be worth more then 7mill.

As for Joey graham, The cavs are looking at someone to backup lebron, and also a ''stretch'' PF.

Cavs are also looking at a backup PG, so you will hear more names about that. You could never be a GM dude for real. You have to look at everyone all the time no matter who you are. All options have to be open.

8-10 million for flopping ....WHAT!/!??????.

CLEVELAND IS GETTING NERVOUS

Raptor Analyst
07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
The Cavs are making great moves this poster just dosen't know the game

sintaks12
07-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Shaq's new nickname is going to be "The Big Dissappointment." I'm going to love watching the Cavs fail this season. Mac is right... Ferry is VERY nervous.

LE-SHAQ
07-12-2009, 11:13 AM
The only thing the Cavs really needed was someone who demands a double team. Shaq is really all the help Lbj needed. If you double and triple team Lbj Shaq will be dunking on you all night. After the Shaq move we need shooters A. carter is a shooter who will strengthen our bench or maybe start and bring D. west off the bench. Putting Z on the bench behind Shaq strengths our bench. On this team Shaq should be effective for 2-3 more years because Lbj carries the load.

A.V. signing was a little much at 7 per, but he should play well with Shaq because he doesn't crowd the lane and he has improved every year if he continues to shoot better, his defense is above average. Don't hate on the flop those 2-3 extra fouls on the other teams bigs are huge especially now with Shaq in the paint. We need to sign a four who can shoot 10-15 footer and defend (maybe resign Joe smith)

What are the Cavs doing? They are surrounding Lbj and Shaq with shooters. If we get knock down shooters it will be impossible to gaurd Lebron and Shaq they both pass well and shoot a high percentage and they both go to the free throw line alot. Don't worry , If we cant get a stretch PF we will get improvement form guys like MO, Boobie , and West they will see even more open shots with Shaq in the post and should makeus a night mare to gaurd.

jsumadchat
07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
man i think youre jumping the gun a little there. graham and parker have VERY good defense. graham can score and finish as good as anyone. parker can drain the 3, create his own shot, and even play backup point. in the playoffs, i think youre team needs guys like this, cause pavlovic and wallace DEF werent cutting it. i guarantee you that parker will hit some big shots for you guys. imagine a 2 man game between shaq and lebron, the opposing team collapsing on them, and a kcikout to a wide open parker for the game winner. AP has ice running through his veins too. for a seasoned vet coming off the bench, you should be thankful. do some research before whining and complaining.

hgtiger32
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Guys, championship teams have to have role players. You can't have a lineup full of players who go for 20/10 every night.. The Anthony Parkers and Joey Graham's of the worlds are needed.. Paid too much?? Maybe.. but still, you can't expect to have a lineup of:

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Amar'e Staudemire
Dwight Howard

Would be cool though..

The Cavs are going to be awesome next year.. AWESOME.. What you should be worried about is spending all this money with King James on his way out next year.

haha i was thinking of the same thing...if lebron leaves the cavs they are going to be stuck with average players and players that are getting paid too much

lineup without LeBron:

PG:Mo Williams
SG:Delonte West
SF:Joey Grahm
PF:J.J. Hickson
C:Anderson Varaejo...assuming Shaq wants out if LeBron leaves

yikes!

rothbb23
07-12-2009, 12:20 PM

its not stephen graham were intersted in its joey graham who is a great pickup to fill our depth. He avereaged 8 ppg and is known for his sold perimeter D which we need not just anthony parker. so get ur sources right before you start bashing my team.

blah-blah
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM

joey graham there interested in not stephen

BkOriginalOne
07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I agree, the cavs won't to get more athletic, but their actually getting slower.

They actually need to play faster, more uptempo.
They are in a rush to Keep Lebron happy, but they are actually pushing him away.
Going to be sooo Funny when the cavs don't win next year.

Raps26
07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Anthony Parker was a good pick up for the Cavs. He is highly underrated. You will be surprised this year. He is one of the top 3 point shooting players in the league and will get plently of good looks because of shaq and lebron.

Raps26
07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
...I can't say much for joey graham though...

aman_13
07-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Hey, don't diss my boy AP!!! :mad: You don't know what your talking about, AP is a great signing for the Cavs.

Jamiecballer
07-12-2009, 01:23 PM

It's funny that you posted this.

I just read the story about the Cav's interest in Graham and had the opposite thought. Joey Graham had an excellent season for us (Toronto) last year and I am pissed that we don't seem to have any interest in bringing him back. If you are a Cavs fan and they land Graham I think you will change your mind by seasons end. Once Mitchell was gone Graham relaxed and started balling.

DCSportsIsPain
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
The Cavs have to sign chumps because they don't have enough cap space to pay LeBron his max contract, and even if they do sign LeBron to his max contract, they won't have enough cap space to pay anyone else thanks to the contract they just gave Varejao.

dtmagnet
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Joey Graham is actually a really good defender, we had our bigs in foul trouble against Orlando last season and he effectively guarded Howard for a few minutes. He can play 2-4 and is very athletic, I don't think this would be a bad move at all.

jwn0303
07-12-2009, 01:29 PM

1. shaq trade was great.

correct me if I'm wrong... but is that not all the cavs had last year besides Lebron?

RaiderLakersA's
07-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Do you really think they make one single move on that team without checking with Lebron first. Anyone who comes there is because Lebron gave the move the OK.

I doubt they check with LeBron on every move. Superstars can demand change, but they don't get to play Owner/GM. Just ask Kobe. He did not know that he would get Gasol. He just wanted change. He did not know that he would get Ariza. (Hell, like many of us before the signing, he probably thought Ariza was just fodder for the bench.) He just wanted change. He DID know that he was getting Artest, but only after Artest made it abundantly clear that if the opportunity ever arose, he was going to play with Kobe.

Grand Master B
07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Seriously! the biggest problem here is not AP or Graham, its Shaq. He is not demanding double teams anymore. Especially against Dwight, Perkins, Bynum, and Duncan (the Elite teams). This is going to spell doom for Cavs. At the beginning of last season I predicted the Cavs being better then Boston. (I caught a lot of crap from my friends for this too) But this year Orlando and Boston will be better then the Cavs.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Amar'e Staudemire
Dwight Howard

Would be cool though..

but the Cavs obvious problem was, they are all role players outside LeBron. Shaq is a big step if he can resemeble last years Shaq, but they still need another borderline all star at SG or PG

Chi-Town0607
07-12-2009, 04:40 PM
OK. First I never bashed the Shaq deal. He's a little unpredictable, but not nearly as much as sasha and big ben.
Second, Varejo is NOT worth anything close to 7 million a year. He has absolutely no offense. And I honestly don't think his D is that great either. I watched the whole orlando series this year, where was he when Lewis was draining all those shots. Or on those pick and rolls. I'd take varejo on my team anyday, but he was just flat out overpaid.
And joey graham, stephen graham, who cares!! Neither will contribute. I read the article and didn't even remember which graham he was because they both arn't worth the time to think about. We really need those 7 points per game and horrible 3 pt percentage.
Anthony Parker.....I don't know much about this guy. Probably because he plays for toronto and I try avoiding those games. But his numbers don't impress me. And hes 34 years old,with only 6 years experience?? I guess I really shouldn't bash someone I don't know too much about but the cavs could have gotten a much better player then this. I've never heard of him being a knock down three point shooter and a great defender though. Maybe these guys are great defenders. On toronto. But how will they do out of the first round??
Overall its just an unimpressive offseason and what the cavs needed they didn't get. Who's guarding Rashard Lewis?? Hedo?? Pierce?? I really think they could've gotten better talent this offseason. With proven guys available this was really bad. If they get Barnes I'll be satisfied I guess but they should've made bigger moves on the top players. We could've really used a Marion, Milsap, Bass, Andre Miller or Rasheed.

AntwanN21
07-12-2009, 05:14 PM
When all is said and done the cavs will win 60 games once again. However, i dont think they have esembled a team good enough to get past Boston or Orlando who have retooled.With shaq in i think it will clog the lane and lebron wont be able to be as effective. Also they Varejao signing was out of control i think i would maybe give him 3-4 mill a year IMO. The best move by the cavs this offseason was signing Anthony Parker. The man can flat out shoot, is a great guy to have around the locker room and can defend very well.

Statik1
07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Danny Ferry irrelevant as a player irrelevant as a GM the trend continues

CTown81
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Whoever thinks the Cavs have had a bad offseason is just not that smart.

Cavs turned Ben Wallace into Shaq, Sasha into Anthony Parker, kept an important big in Andy, and drafted a very solid player in Danny Green.

Their roster is considerably better than last year and they will still have about 8 million under the cap in 2010 AFTER resigned Lebron.

Are they run away favorites for title? No but they are a good bet for #1 seed again in east.

Derick713
07-12-2009, 06:10 PM

The Cavs haven't made any mistakes this off-season. They upgraded at Center with Shaquille O'Neal and only had to give up two non-starters. They signed Anthony Parker using part of their Mid-Level exception. The Cavs still have 3 Million left to offer someone else as part of their Mid Level exception.

The Cavs resigned Anderson Varejao to deal that indicates he will be the teams starting Center of the Future. It's not easy to find Size, Defense, toughness, rebounding, hustle, and durability in one player. The Cavs can pay any amount to keep Varejao since he is their free agent. The Jazz would've matched the Cavs offer. Brandon Bass got away, but it's no big deal. Varejao would've been offered quite a bit by teams like the Thunder and Blazers. Varejao's contract sounds big, but it's structured to be cap friendly and is incentive laden.

The Cavs can still add to their team. With Varejao resigned the Cavs will most likely use the Veteranís Minimum to resign Joe Smith and the remaining 3Million of the Mid-Level Exception to sign the Power Forward they want.

WHAT THE CAVS CAN STILL LOOK LIKE
Maurice Williams/Delonte West/
Peja Stojackovic/Anthony Parker/
LeBron James/James Posey/Danny Green
Drew Gooden/Joe Smith/JJ Hickson/
Shaquille OíNeal/Anderson Varejao/

Derick713
07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
The only mistake the Cavs made was passing on Dajuan Summers in the Draft.

LA_Raiders
07-12-2009, 06:50 PM
What else can they do??? With LeBroom acting like that? He will be gone next year, so what players want to go spend time in that rebuiling team???

Artest, Ariza, Sheed....Great move by trading for an Old Shaq....

I feel sorry for Cleveland, they should trade LeBroom this year and get some value or be left with nothing...

Chi-Town0607
07-12-2009, 07:06 PM
The only mistake the Cavs made was passing on Dajuan Summers in the Draft.

I agree with that. That was one of the worse draft picks in draft history. Thats up there with darko. There were so many good players left. Summers and Blair are two of them. Now summers is tearing up the summer league. The cavs honestly didn't think they could draft this african guy with their second round pick?? Very disappointing.

And when did varejo become these things "it's not easy to find Size, Defense, toughness, rebounding, hustle, and durability in one player."

Size - kind of
Defense - at times
toughness - uhh no
rebounding - not really
hustle - yeh
durability - i guess

Chi-Town0607
07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Danny Ferry irrelevant as a player irrelevant as a GM the trend continues

:laugh::laugh:
:clap:

cav_till_i_die
07-12-2009, 08:42 PM

they are trying to sign jJOEY GRAHAM you jibbering moron....
and hes not old he is 27 and hes pretty good 7.7 points and 3.7 boards all in 20 min... thats all a role we would need him for thats 18-20 min of a 8 and 4 guy... ill take that
rather have matt barnes though
(get your facts right though before you post a thread)

blastmasta26
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Cavs might be good with LBJ and Shaq, but they're not getting a title. The role players they have can't compare with the role players on the Celtics, Magic, Lakers, or Spurs. The Cavs should take a lesson from the Raptors, who have a similar situation with Chris Bosh being a FA in 2010. The Raptors were not contenders, but with a few moves, they are poised to make a deep playoff run, while the Cavs are not going to go further than last year unless Boston/Orlando gets destroyed by injuries.

Chi-Town0607
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
they are trying to sign jJOEY GRAHAM you jibbering moron....
and hes not old he is 27 and hes pretty good 7.7 points and 3.7 boards all in 20 min... thats all a role we would need him for thats 18-20 min of a 8 and 4 guy... ill take that
rather have matt barnes though
(get your facts right though before you post a thread)

Who cares if I don't know this fool's name. His name isn't worth remembering, just like his career. And I said Anthony Parker is old you illiterate d-bag.

LE-SHAQ
07-12-2009, 10:20 PM
seriously! The biggest problem here is not ap or graham, its shaq. He is not demanding double teams anymore. Especially against dwight, perkins, bynum, and duncan (the elite teams). This is going to spell doom for cavs. At the beginning of last season i predicted the cavs being better then boston. (i caught a lot of crap from my friends for this too) but this year orlando and boston will be better then the cavs.

shaq avg 18 and 8 on a fast break team. He is still 7 ft 300 plus pounds. He does not shoot jumpers his career shooting % is almost 60% what do you mean he doesnt demand a double team, there is still noone in the league who can defend him one on one, dwight howard is a great off the ball defender if you watched the playoffs or the regular season you know he stayed in foul trouble. Shaq playing with lbj will win the title.

Storch
07-12-2009, 10:26 PM
shaq avg 18 and 8 on a fast break team. He is still 7 ft 300 plus pounds. He does not shoot jumpers his career shooting % is almost 60% what do you mean he doesnt demand a double team, there is still noone in the league who can defend him one on one, dwight howard is a great off the ball defender if you watched the playoffs or the regular season you know he stayed in foul trouble. Shaq playing with lbj will win the title.

The Laker rotation and double team effectiveness is going to destroy lebron and shaq. Guaranteed.

LE-SHAQ
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
ok. First i never bashed the shaq deal. He's a little unpredictable, but not nearly as much as sasha and big ben.
Second, varejo is not worth anything close to 7 million a year. He has absolutely no offense. And i honestly don't think his d is that great either. I watched the whole orlando series this year, where was he when lewis was draining all those shots. Or on those pick and rolls. I'd take varejo on my team anyday, but he was just flat out overpaid.
And joey graham, stephen graham, who cares!! Neither will contribute. I read the article and didn't even remember which graham he was because they both arn't worth the time to think about. We really need those 7 points per game and horrible 3 pt percentage.
Anthony parker.....i don't know much about this guy. Probably because he plays for toronto and i try avoiding those games. But his numbers don't impress me. And hes 34 years old,with only 6 years experience?? I guess i really shouldn't bash someone i don't know too much about but the cavs could have gotten a much better player then this. I've never heard of him being a knock down three point shooter and a great defender though. Maybe these guys are great defenders. On toronto. But how will they do out of the first round??
Overall its just an unimpressive offseason and what the cavs needed they didn't get. Who's guarding rashard lewis?? Hedo?? Pierce?? I really think they could've gotten better talent this offseason. With proven guys available this was really bad. If they get barnes i'll be satisfied i guess but they should've made bigger moves on the top players. We could've really used a marion, milsap, bass, andre miller or rasheed.

what makes you so sure that garnett after 15 years in the league and a serious knee injury will just come back like he was. No player his age has returned from a serious knee injury 100%. The celtics got rasheed wallace he has not been a factor in 2 years, and they still dont have a back up point gaurd plus they will lose big baby. Orlando lost heda, and lee, and gortat and they added vince carter. Come on man!!!!!!! We traded ben wallace and sasha for shaq 2 guys who played 10 min combined. A. Carter is a big upgrade from wally we moved z to the bench which strengthens our bench and we still have mo who will only get better. Those teams are going to have to match up with us. We finally got lbj the help he needed by adding shaq

LE-SHAQ
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
the laker rotation and double team effectiveness is going to destroy lebron and shaq. Guaranteed.

sounds good until ron-ron goes ron-ron while kobe is trying to coach. Kobes track record is not very good with strong personalities, you should have kept ariza he had the right temperament to play with kobe. Nobody talks about that.

We all would love to see kobe vs. Shaq and lbj. Get the shaq puppet ready!!!!

clayballz
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I agree with that. That was one of the worse draft picks in draft history. Thats up there with darko. There were so many good players left. Summers and Blair are two of them. Now summers is tearing up the summer league. The cavs honestly didn't think they could draft this african guy with their second round pick?? Very disappointing.

And when did varejo become these things "it's not easy to find Size, Defense, toughness, rebounding, hustle, and durability in one player."

Size - kind of
Defense - at times
toughness - uhh no
rebounding - not really
hustle - yeh
durability - i guess
One of the worst draft picks in history huh? Darko went what, 2nd? The Cavs drafted this guy with the 30th pick! 30th! How many #30 picks turn out to be anything at all, let alone make an impact their first season? I'm not saying this dude is gonna be anything, let alone play a single game in the NBA. Who cares what he does. He's a project with freakish athletic skills. If it doesn't pan out, oh well. It was the 30th pick in a weak draft! The Cavs didn't lose a single impact player from last year. They've upgraded from Wallace to Shaq. Pavlovic to Parker. Ferry always seems to make monster trade deals (Mo Williams, Shaq) that significantly improve our team. This team will easily win 55 + games barring injury. You can bet that Ferry will either make a significant trade in the very near future, or, at the trading deadline. I'm not saying we are the favorite, Lakers def have that spot. But the East belongs to the Cavs.