PDA

View Full Version : Rank the 3 Powerhouses of the East right now, Bos, Cle and Orl

OptimusPrime
07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Here would be my list....

1. Boston Celtics - If you ask me these guys are the real team to beat, not the Lakers. If Kevin Garnett were healthy last year they would've had a damn good chance to beat the Los Angeles Lakers, they would've crushed both Magic and Cavs as well. With the addition of Rasheed Wallace, the Celtics have added better post defense, more spacing in the floor with his ability to shoot the basketball and they've added another reliable post scorer. That's not even the only addition, they decided to sign Grant Hill. A veteran who knows his role, can add points, play defense, rebound and pass. He is clearly not the same Grant Hill we saw in Detroit, but he's still a solid player that can deeply help the Boston Celtics.

I have them over Both Cavs and Magic, because I think they matchup well against both of them. When the Celtics play the Cavs, they can just pick and roll the Cavs to death and they can some easy buckets that way. Cavs have no defense to that with Shaq on there team and Big Z, Until the Cavs make a move it seems like the Celtics shouldn't have any problem playing the Cavs. If Kevin Garnett were healthy in the playoffs last year they would've SWEPT the Magic away. There's a reason why KG played so great against the Magic in the regular season during the 08-09 season and that's because Rashard Lewis has no chance guarding him nor can Rashard Lewis get a shot off of KG. Even if the Magic pick up a power forward, their offensive firepower won't be as dangerous as before.

2. Cleveland Cavs - Coming off of a disappointing season they are now going to have a new center on their team called Shaquille O'Neal. The problem currently right now is how to defend the pick n roll. They already had problems doing that in the ECF last season in the playoffs and with Shaq it's just going to make things tougher and worse. Cavs offense will be better and should be able to generate more points and more efficiency with Shaq, but they will stay pay the price defensively.

I think with the addition of Shaq though, they will be able to beat the Magic now. Dwight Howard is no longer going to get easy points against that softie Big Z, he's going to have to earn them against The Real Superman. Also with Hedo being out, Rashard is likely to return to the 3 and Rashard playing the 4 was the real reason why the Cavs seriously struggled against the Magic. Cavs may continue to struggle against the pick n roll against this team, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem anymore unless Ryan Anderson starts at the 4 spot then things will be different because of his ability to shoot. I still feel strongly that the Cavs can take on the Magic, they were capable of winning 2 games out of 6 despite playing 1 on 5, I think now that they can play 2 on 5 they have a better chance now.

Cavs need to make some more moves along this off-season if they want to beat the Celtics. Their pick n roll defense, and they still need to greatly improved that backcourt, because it is only mediocre. Rajon Rondo would have absolutely no problem defending Mo Williams or even scoring on him. Maybe if LeBron James really develops into a good jump shooter than I would feel more strongly that the Cavs could take on the Celtics, but as for now the Celtics are not just the team to beat in the East, but they are the team to beat in the NBA.

3. Orlando Magic - Great pick up in the off-season to acquire Vince Carter, Brandon Bass, and Ryan Anderson. They lose Hedo, who was a vastly inconsistent player on the team. However, I do not feel so strongly about this team due to their style of play, but they are the 3rd best team in the East at the moment. I would suspect the Magic would run the offense through Vince Carter instead of Dwight Howard, remaining to play the outside-in. We also do not know if Jameer Nelson is EVER going to return to the all-star form we saw in the first half of the 2008-2009 season, he suffered a shoulder injury which may cause him to decline in his shooting. I feel like the Magic have gotten a bit better defensively with the addition of Ryan Anderson and Brandon Bass, but I feel like they may have regressed a bit offensively due to losing Courtney Lee and Hedo, Vince Carter is clearly better than both, but the combination of Lee and Hedo were very good offensive players and defensively as well.

I feel like the Magic can still beat the Cavs, but I still favor the Cavs due to the addition of Shaquille O'Neal. Their best chances remain in the pick n roll now and no longer on Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard crushed the Cavs and their big men. Magic have a decent chance, but if you ask me the Cavs are more in favor than the Magic are.

I feel like the Magic have literally no chance to beat the Celtics by any means. Kevin Garnett will murder whoever the Magic throw at him, due to the lack of 4's the Magic currently have they also need to address that issue. Also, they have Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, and It will be hard for the Magic to decide who to play their best defender Mickeal Pietrus on. Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis are only average defenders. Along with that, Dwight Howard will literally have no way of scoring against the Celtics, he already struggled against the Pistons due to Rasheed Wallace and Jason Maxiell. Dwight failed to score against Kendrick Perkins in single coverage in last season's 2nd round series. It will just be an absolute nightmare for him unless he seriously improves offensively which I doubt he will anyways.

Those are my analysts....and yours...?

CTown81
07-11-2009, 01:06 PM
My Rank.

1) Cavs - Neither Boston or Orlanda has a player like Lebron. Cavs offseason so far has seen them turn Ben Wallace and Sasha into Shaq and Anthony Parker. They were able to keep Andy which is a bigger deal than most people think. Also they seem to be trying to land Kleiza or Barnes which would round out the bench nicely. I think KG will not be the same player next year. He is at the age where the miles and this type of injury are the beginning of the end as far as being an elite player.

2) Orlando - I think losing Hedo will hurt them. VC is past his prime and has never performed well when it mattered most - Playoffs. I also think losing C.Lee was a bad move for them. Jameer Nelson played out of his mind before getting hurt last season and I expect him to return to earth. They will be tough but wont be able to grab the #1 seed.

3) Boston - Hey they got 1 title which is more than many teams can say. The big 3 + Sheed is just too old IMO to get it done against CLE or Orlando. Boston's bench is also very very weak. If they suffer another injury to KG or Pierce this year they will be in BIG trouble. If any of the Big 3 east teams fall out of that category this year I think it would be Boston. No Bench, too many key players right on the cusp of being too old/injured.

Hustla23
07-11-2009, 01:14 PM
A healthy Celtics team is the best in the east

Cleveland won't get that much better because of Shaq. The dude is almost 40.

elpirata224
07-11-2009, 01:16 PM
1. Boston Celtics

We'll I have Boston up at Number one simply because all of their player have been there and done that. The signing of sheed makes them a more versatile team. They are good in every aspect of the game except for speed. I believe that they are going to the Eastern Conference Finals next year.

2. Orlando Magic

Well I have Orlando at number 2 for one reason and one reason Only and that is that we will always dominate Cleveland untill they get a prominent player at the 3 spot. Orlando added what they needed in the offseason which was a closer and Defense. We added Brandon Bass who will help us at the boards, with his mid range jumpshot and his good defense. We can then bring Andersen for Offensive firepower and of course Orlando still has some work to do just like every other team.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers

alot of people would disagree with this one and I wouldn't blame you guys. All they did was add shaq to contain Howard. Ok now guess what they didn't do anything about Rashard who is going to bomb three's in Verejao's face. Bass of course will school the flopper as well. Boston of course will now dismantle them because of their depth and because of their matchup problem vs. KG. Despite Shaq I think they'll only go as far as the Estern Conference Semi-Finals.

Raoul Duke
07-11-2009, 01:21 PM
1. Boston - If they can stay healthy then they'll be the best defensive team in the east.

2. Cleveland - They got Shaq, and Lebron is going to be pissed off all next season about his failure in the 2009 playoffs.

3. Orlando - I don't know what to think of this team right now. Sure they got Vince Carter, but they lost Turkoglu and Lee(didn't they lose Tony Battie also?). Hedo did so much for that team in terms of ballhandling, creating, 3-point shooting, clutch shooting, and also just the fact that his size creates so many problems for opposing defenses. I'm not convinced that VC makes them a better team. Different, yes, but I won't give them any more credit than that until I see them play.

JordansBulls
07-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Here would be my list....

1. Boston Celtics - If you ask me these guys are the real team to beat, not the Lakers. If Kevin Garnett were healthy last year they would've had a damn good chance to beat the Los Angeles Lakers, they would've crushed both Magic and Cavs as well. With the addition of Rasheed Wallace, the Celtics have added better post defense, more spacing in the floor with his ability to shoot the basketball and they've added another reliable post scorer. That's not even the only addition, they decided to sign Grant Hill. A veteran who knows his role, can add points, play defense, rebound and pass. He is clearly not the same Grant Hill we saw in Detroit, but he's still a solid player that can deeply help the Boston Celtics.

I have them over Both Cavs and Magic, because I think they matchup well against both of them. When the Celtics play the Cavs, they can just pick and roll the Cavs to death and they can some easy buckets that way. Cavs have no defense to that with Shaq on there team and Big Z, Until the Cavs make a move it seems like the Celtics shouldn't have any problem playing the Cavs. If Kevin Garnett were healthy in the playoffs last year they would've SWEPT the Magic away. There's a reason why KG played so great against the Magic in the regular season during the 08-09 season and that's because Rashard Lewis has no chance guarding him nor can Rashard Lewis get a shot off of KG. Even if the Magic pick up a power forward, their offensive firepower won't be as dangerous as before.

2. Cleveland Cavs - Coming off of a disappointing season they are now going to have a new center on their team called Shaquille O'Neal. The problem currently right now is how to defend the pick n roll. They already had problems doing that in the ECF last season in the playoffs and with Shaq it's just going to make things tougher and worse. Cavs offense will be better and should be able to generate more points and more efficiency with Shaq, but they will stay pay the price defensively.

I think with the addition of Shaq though, they will be able to beat the Magic now. Dwight Howard is no longer going to get easy points against that softie Big Z, he's going to have to earn them against The Real Superman. Also with Hedo being out, Rashard is likely to return to the 3 and Rashard playing the 4 was the real reason why the Cavs seriously struggled against the Magic. Cavs may continue to struggle against the pick n roll against this team, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem anymore unless Ryan Anderson starts at the 4 spot then things will be different because of his ability to shoot. I still feel strongly that the Cavs can take on the Magic, they were capable of winning 2 games out of 6 despite playing 1 on 5, I think now that they can play 2 on 5 they have a better chance now.

Cavs need to make some more moves along this off-season if they want to beat the Celtics. Their pick n roll defense, and they still need to greatly improved that backcourt, because it is only mediocre. Rajon Rondo would have absolutely no problem defending Mo Williams or even scoring on him. Maybe if LeBron James really develops into a good jump shooter than I would feel more strongly that the Cavs could take on the Celtics, but as for now the Celtics are not just the team to beat in the East, but they are the team to beat in the NBA.

3. Orlando Magic - Great pick up in the off-season to acquire Vince Carter, Brandon Bass, and Ryan Anderson. They lose Hedo, who was a vastly inconsistent player on the team. However, I do not feel so strongly about this team due to their style of play, but they are the 3rd best team in the East at the moment. I would suspect the Magic would run the offense through Vince Carter instead of Dwight Howard, remaining to play the outside-in. We also do not know if Jameer Nelson is EVER going to return to the all-star form we saw in the first half of the 2008-2009 season, he suffered a shoulder injury which may cause him to decline in his shooting. I feel like the Magic have gotten a bit better defensively with the addition of Ryan Anderson and Brandon Bass, but I feel like they may have regressed a bit offensively due to losing Courtney Lee and Hedo, Vince Carter is clearly better than both, but the combination of Lee and Hedo were very good offensive players and defensively as well.

I feel like the Magic can still beat the Cavs, but I still favor the Cavs due to the addition of Shaquille O'Neal. Their best chances remain in the pick n roll now and no longer on Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard crushed the Cavs and their big men. Magic have a decent chance, but if you ask me the Cavs are more in favor than the Magic are.

I feel like the Magic have literally no chance to beat the Celtics by any means. Kevin Garnett will murder whoever the Magic throw at him, due to the lack of 4's the Magic currently have they also need to address that issue. Also, they have Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, and It will be hard for the Magic to decide who to play their best defender Mickeal Pietrus on. Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis are only average defenders. Along with that, Dwight Howard will literally have no way of scoring against the Celtics, he already struggled against the Pistons due to Rasheed Wallace and Jason Maxiell. Dwight failed to score against Kendrick Perkins in single coverage in last season's 2nd round series. It will just be an absolute nightmare for him unless he seriously improves offensively which I doubt he will anyways.

Those are my analysts....and yours...?

I think Boston is the team to beat. Orlando beat Cleveland without HCA last year and with one of the worst backcourts ever.

marlinsfan24
07-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Magic beat the Cavs in the ECF, the Cavs add Shaq, the Magic add VC and Bass. Yet the Cavs are better than the Magic? Makes no sense to me

jdillion
07-11-2009, 01:40 PM
1. Boston: As long as the big 3 stay healthy and Rondo continues his emergence to greatness, this team is the team to beat in the East. They do need to strengthen their backcourt so that pierce and Allen do not have to play as many minutes.

2. Orlando: With the acquistions of Vinsanity and Bass this team has improved tremedously. By adding Bass they now have a true pf and with Carter they now have a scorer who can consistently create their own shot. They were able to handle Cleveland last year with realtive ease, and I do not believe that Shaq will be much of a difference maker.

3. Cleveland: With the acquistion of Shaq this team has gotten a little bit better. But the question is: Will Shaq be what the Cavs need to get over the hump? No, he is not Shaq is not the same player he was even 5 years ago. If the Cavs want to defeat a suddenly stacked eastern conference they are going to have to make another move for a athletic big man or another player to put in their backcourt.

JordansBulls
07-11-2009, 01:50 PM
My Rank.

1) Cavs - Neither Boston or Orlanda has a player like Lebron. Cavs offseason so far has seen them turn Ben Wallace and Sasha into Shaq and Anthony Parker. They were able to keep Andy which is a bigger deal than most people think. Also they seem to be trying to land Kleiza or Barnes which would round out the bench nicely. I think KG will not be the same player next year. He is at the age where the miles and this type of injury are the beginning of the end as far as being an elite player.

2) Orlando - I think losing Hedo will hurt them. VC is past his prime and has never performed well when it mattered most - Playoffs. I also think losing C.Lee was a bad move for them. Jameer Nelson played out of his mind before getting hurt last season and I expect him to return to earth. They will be tough but wont be able to grab the #1 seed.

3) Boston - Hey they got 1 title which is more than many teams can say. The big 3 + Sheed is just too old IMO to get it done against CLE or Orlando. Boston's bench is also very very weak. If they suffer another injury to KG or Pierce this year they will be in BIG trouble. If any of the Big 3 east teams fall out of that category this year I think it would be Boston. No Bench, too many key players right on the cusp of being too old/injured.

Orlando had no one for Lebron last year and this with one of the worst backcourts ever in Rafer and Lee.

MagicDojo
07-11-2009, 01:56 PM
1. Boston - If they can stay healthy then they'll be the best defensive team in the east.

2. Cleveland - They got Shaq, and Lebron is going to be pissed off all next season about his failure in the 2009 playoffs.

3. Orlando - I don't know what to think of this team right now. Sure they got Vince Carter, but they lost Turkoglu and Lee(didn't they lose Tony Battie also?). Hedo did so much for that team in terms of ballhandling, creating, 3-point shooting, clutch shooting, and also just the fact that his size creates so many problems for opposing defenses. I'm not convinced that VC makes them a better team. Different, yes, but I won't give them any more credit than that until I see them play.

Hedo did not do that much for Orlando. Typically hedo would coast for 3 quarters and then He would put forth his biggest effort as our closer in the last 7 minutes of the fourth. If he was "on" we would usually win. But he is a very up and down player. If he was against a good defender he would blow and we would often lose. The Magic now have Jameer back and Carter to fill that fourth quarter roll. Last 7 minutes of any Turk Magic game = no plays called for Howard then drive and dish, or drive and kick, or drive and layup. Carter can do this....probably better.

THE MTL
07-11-2009, 02:05 PM
1. Boston- Garnett, Pierce, Rondo, Allen, Wallace, David, Perkins, House.....This team is stacked! Rondo has become Mr. Triple Double, Perkins is a legit threat now, & Davis has improved so much in the playoffs. With improvement of young guys & veteran leadership the Celtics are the team to beat once again.

2. Cleveland- This team is going to have so much pre-game antics is going to be hilarious, but still Shaq helps them beat Orlando. Dwight can powerhouse anymore. However Boston will destroy them with the pick-and-roll. And Rasheed at C will have just as much devastating effect as Rashard at the 4 with the Magic.

3. Orlando- they gained Carter, Anderson, & Bass, but lost Hedo, Alston, Lee, & Gortat. They lost a decent bunch.

JustinLafferty
07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I love how everyone overlooks the Magic...

1a)Magic
1b)Celtics
2) Cavs

It all depends on how Rasheed fits in with the Celtics and how well KG plays next year. When they won the championship his regular season stats was 18.8 ppg and 9.2 rbg...He stepped it up to 20 and 10 in the playoffs....Let's take a look at the Magic and Bostons lineups
PG- Nelson versus Rondo Winner: Nelson easily
SG- Vince versus Ray Allen Winner: I would take Vince because Ray Allen seems to disappear games at a time in the playoffs and although Vince has never made it to ECF he's never had KG and Paul Pierce to play with...or Dwght Howard and co. even.
SF- Rashard versus Pierce Winner: Pierce
PF- Bass versus KG Winner: KG easily
C- Dwight versus Perkins/Rasheed Winner: Dwight easily
Bench: House, Big Baby, Perkins/Rasheed, Powe, Scalabrine vs. Ryan Anderson, JJ Reddick, AJ, Pietrus,
Winner: Boston....

So right now I think it's still a toss up.....depending on if Big Baby resigns and who else the Magic sign as backups.....I don't think KG is by any means overrated but he seems to have gained this mystique about him where everyone assumes anyone he plays defense on suddenly sucks and scores NO points whatsoever...Does he deserve it? Yeah hes pretty awesome but I think fans will be surprised when Orlando and maybe even Cleveland go toe to toe with them

st3voness
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Orlando has one of the worst benches in the league minus Pietrus. Ryan Anderson? Decent; he can tear it up in the summer league all he wants, but this is the NBA. Anthony Johnson is about as worse a PG as they come. And J.J. Redick isn't trusted by his coach to step foot on the floor. If Orlando had somewhat of a decent bench, they'd win it all. They do have the best starting lineup, but without bench depth, you won't get far.

JustinLafferty
07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Orlando has one of the worst benches in the league minus Pietrus. Ryan Anderson? Decent; he can tear it up in the summer league all he wants, but this is the NBA. Anthony Johnson is about as worse a PG as they come. And J.J. Redick isn't trusted by his coach to step foot on the floor. If Orlando had somewhat of a decent bench, they'd win it all. They do have the best starting lineup, but without bench depth, you won't get far.

I agree our bench is quite weak as of now but a few signings and we'll be fine....the backup PG is concerning but AJ can hold the fort down till Jameer gets back on the floor......I would prefer to have another backup PG tho..younger at least...

pedrofan45
07-11-2009, 02:40 PM
PG- Nelson versus Rondo Winner: Nelson easily

Easily?

ko8e24
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
1. Boston Celtics
2. Orlando Magic
3. Cleveland Cavaliers

Fire Girardi
07-11-2009, 02:44 PM
My Rank.

lol their is no way the cavs are better than the celtics and that the magic are better than the celtics and i hate the celtics, orlando got worse nd the cavs didnt help their self either

Fire Girardi
07-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Magic beat the Cavs in the ECF, the Cavs add Shaq, the Magic add VC and Bass. Yet the Cavs are better than the Magic? Makes no sense to me

lol vc is not the player he use to be

JustinLafferty
07-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Easily?

Yes....Rondo played better in the playoffs than the season but he's a product of the team he's on...He cant shoot at all... I cant count how many times players would shade off of him hoping he shot....hes gotten better but Jameer has a much better shot and is just as good at driving to basket or better.... With KG back he'll probably average 10 a game....maybe it was 11 this year in the regular season...

Fire Girardi
07-11-2009, 02:49 PM
celtics
cavs
magic

st3voness
07-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree our bench is quite weak as of now but a few signings and we'll be fine....the backup PG is concerning but AJ can hold the fort down till Jameer gets back on the floor......I would prefer to have another backup PG tho..younger at least...

You should've kept Alston.

op12
07-11-2009, 03:07 PM
boston- too much fire power, too good on D, and wallace off the bench will be huge. need to stay healthy

magic- i really think carter is going to be a bigger pickup than most people think

clev- shaq will have to turn it up to beat the other 2. he can do it but can he for the whole postseason?

FREDFLINTSTONE
07-11-2009, 03:13 PM
My Rank.

I see you are a big Celtic hater, good for you. But you should know that Sheed is a bench player for the Celts. Perk will remain the starting center and Sheed will help out the " very very weak" bench. :)

ots_drummer
07-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I think you miss one of the major points of rondo. While he may be a product of the celtics system...He is still in that system and has excelled at it.

We arn't comparing Rondo to Nelson. We are comparing Rondo running point for the celtics vs. Nelson running point for the magic. While I agree with you that Nelson is a much better all around point guard and if I was starting a team would probably take him over rondo. Due to the systems they are in they are pretty much neck and neck. Both are key cogs to their team and both have played very well in their current systems. Rondo isn't going to hurt or help the celtics anymore than Nelson will the magic therefore you can't say that the magic "easily" have the point guard advantage. While Nelson might be a better point guard overall, Rondo on the celtics allows him to be a key contributor.

Again I think Nelson is a better pure point guard but based on the teams and the system he certainly doesn't "easily" prove his superiority to Rondo.

JustinLafferty
07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I think you miss one of the major points of rondo. While he may be a product of the celtics system...He is still in that system and has excelled at it.

We arn't comparing Rondo to Nelson. We are comparing Rondo running point for the celtics vs. Nelson running point for the magic. While I agree with you that Nelson is a much better all around point guard and if I was starting a team would probably take him over rondo. Due to the systems they are in they are pretty much neck and neck. Both are key cogs to their team and both have played very well in their current systems. Rondo isn't going to hurt or help the celtics anymore than Nelson will the magic therefore you can't say that the magic "easily" have the point guard advantage. While Nelson might be a better point guard overall, Rondo on the celtics allows him to be a key contributor.

Again I think Nelson is a better pure point guard but based on the teams and the system he certainly doesn't "easily" prove his superiority to Rondo.

They're not even close man talent wise or how they fit with the team. Jameer Nelson is much better and we win that position by a long shot. I mean Rashard Lewis fits in our system just as good Paul Pierce would if not better.. Doesn't mean we win that matchup. When playing one on one rondo v. nelson I'll take whatever Nelson does over Rondo whether it be shooting, passing, driving to the basket anyday. It's matchups and we win that matchup.... I understand your point that he fits their system but Jameer is better hands down. Jameer could play in that spot and play it better than Rondo so we win easily..... its only individual matchups...because at the end of games most teams play man to man... if there's five seconds on the clock I'd rather have the ball in jameers hands against rondo than rondo against jameer.... We win that matchup easily...

Hawkeye15
07-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Boston, if healthy, is probably the best team in the NBA. Cleveland has LeBron, who will probably be even better this year. Shaq will help more than people know come playoff time. Orlando is tough though. They need to play better defense, and Dwight needs to become even more assertive offensively, but I think Boston, if healthy, is the team to beat. But you can't count out LeBron James, he is just too good.

Iron24th
07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Magic is the team to beat,they went to the Finals ,now they have VC and Bass instead of Turk,what an upgrade.Boston is just older,and cleveland got Shaq who is no longer in his prime.

macc
07-11-2009, 04:45 PM
lol vc is not the player he use to be

I just don't understand comments like this. What exactly are you basing this off of? Obviously not the stats because 21 5 5 is pretty impressive. Its funny because people talk about Brandon Roy being so great but his stats and Vinces' are about identicle but yet bashing Vince is the "trendy" thing to do so people like to do it.

Vince - 21 5 5
Roy - 22.6 4.7 5

Yet one is a superstar and the other is washed up.

I'm not bashing Roy, I think he's great, I just think its funny how people hold him on such a high pedalstill but at the same time bash Carter eventhough they are really similiar in stats. I just wanted to use Roy as an example

Anyways, talk to Nets fans (you know, the people who actually watch him play an entire year) they will tell you he is not washed up. Savy

macc
07-11-2009, 04:45 PM
magic is the team to beat,they went to the finals ,now they have vc and bass instead of turk,what an upgrade.boston is just older,and cleveland got shaq who is no longer in his prime.

+ 1. If you don't think Boston got older watch how JJ Reddick was able to keep up with Ray Allen. I love Allen but age creeps up on us all.

macc
07-11-2009, 04:54 PM

The Magic bench isn't elite by no means but you need to give them more credit than that. Pietrus is a stud who can shoot the mid/3 and drive. Reddick can shoot lights out. Its not that Stan didn't trust him it was just that he was the 3rd wheel behind Lee and Pietrus. I love Reddick, he makes alot of plays and doesn't make to many mistakes. AJ is not a bad pg. Hes slow but hes krafty, he shoots the mid/3 pt extremely well, doesn't commit bad plays and isn't affraid to take a shot if noone else can score. If you watched the Magic games you would have seen how much the announcers praised him for being a solid vet. Plus we still have Gortat and it's looking like we'll match the Mavs offer, but who knows what will happen.

I didn't know much about Anderson until this seaon but I can tell you that he was picked before Courtny Lee and the Nets fans had nothing but good things to say about him. He made the 1st team for summer league. All good signs to show that at the very least he's a solid backup who can rain 3's and get offensive boards. Somthing we needed desperately.

AJ
Reddick
MP
Anderson
Gortat

I'm happy with that bench. Besides SVG staggards his lineups throughout the entire game. Plus when you go to the playoffs he plays an 8 man rotation

Nelson
Carter
Lewis
Bass
Howard
Reddick
AJ
Anderson

Looks good to me.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2009, 05:04 PM
In the East

1. Boston-When healthy, they are the best team in the Eastern Conference.

2. Orlando-I have them ahead of Cleveland, although it remains to be seen how good they will be without Hedo.

3. Cleveland

JordansBulls
07-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Magic is the team to beat,they went to the Finals ,now they have VC and Bass instead of Turk,what an upgrade.Boston is just older,and cleveland got Shaq who is no longer in his prime.

Boston is totally different with a superstar player coming back.

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Boston

Cleveland

Orlando

*I think Boston and LA are by far teams to beat in the NBA, San Antonio should be interesting though.

thedfactor
07-11-2009, 05:21 PM
1. Orlando - They lost Hedo Turkolgu, Rafer Alston, Courtney Lee, and likely Marcin Gortat. It would seem they took a giant step backwards after being handled by the Los Angeles Lakers in the Finals. However, by adding Vince Carter they addressed an important need of an offensive scorer at the 2 spot who can create his own shot. The Magic have also added two power forwards with intriguingly different styles of play. Ryan Anderson and Brandon Bass. Jameer Nelson should likely return to the all-star form of play he was at before injuring his shoulder. Orlando only needs to add a backup center for Dwight Howard, but it shouldn't be too difficult with several average bigs out there who desire small cash and expect little time...ask Gortat. That said Magic will be tough to beat and get the #1 spot.

2. Cleveland - The Cavs are granted this slot because it's too hard to put them behind Boston after they acquired Shaq. Also, it's history on their side. When Shaq plays on a team with a super star player he almost always wins a title, excluding Phoenix. LeBron is arguably the best in the game and only getting better which is terrifying for the opposition. The Cavaliers added a solid shooting guard in ex-Raptor Anthony Parker. This move strengthens their bench as Delonte West will probably head there. Cleveland is still lacking a excellent starter in the 4 spot, but it could be held down by Andy Varejeo. The team looks good with Mo/Parker/James/AV/Shaq and West/Gibson/BigZ. Need a little more help, but I like them at 2 when you have LeBron and Shaq together.

3. Boston - Boston has a superb starting unit when you look at it on paper. I'm assuming Perkins will still start, but might be splitting minutes with Rasheed Wallace. Wallace could actually be the one at the 5 closing games in my opinion. Now the bench is Boston's concern for where they finish in the top of the East. Big Baby is still a question mark over his return, Leon Powe is still unsigned, Marbury isn't coming back. You have Eddie House, Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine, Mikki Moore? I mean that bench aside from Sheed is just average. Boston needs to work on either keeping Davis and Powe or finding something else to sure up the reserves via trade or free agency. They land at #3.

Iron24th
07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Boston is totally different with a superstar player coming back.

an older superstar on one leg,sorry but not scary.

Iron24th
07-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Ah and yes,actually they have no bench,davis is still FA,powe too and marbury is gone.

ots_drummer
07-11-2009, 08:48 PM
So Lafferty are you telling me Nelson is a "superior" defender to Rondo????

Here's a little comparison of the two...

Basketball-Statistics released its first Overall Composite Score numbers of the 2008-09 season. (I'm pretty sure these numbers were released just before Nelson went down with his injury during the debate of who should be an all-star.)

Essentially, the purpose of the OCS is to use a combination of six (three offensive/three defensive) advanced statistical metrics and adjust them based on the player's position & playing time. The result is a rating that determines how good a player is.

Nelson
Minutes Per Game (31.4)
OCS - 65.54 (95.05%)
PER - 20.76 (t-4th)

Rondo
Minutes Per Game (31.7)
OCS - 78.86 (97.83%)
PER - 19.93 (7th)

Again I would take Nelson as my everyday PG as well....but I still don't understand you're argument at all, about this overwhelming superiority that Nelson holds over Rondo...its sounds more homerish than anything.

And while u may not want the ball in Rondo's hand to take the last shot of the game....I wouldn't have any problem with him guarding Nelson when he's trying to hit the game winner, rondo is a fantastically athletic defender, which is why he scores higher than Nelson on his OCS even though his offensive stats arn't as good as Nelsons.

AntiG
07-11-2009, 08:57 PM
a healthy Celtics team is the best team in the NBA.

BUCSFORLIFE123
07-11-2009, 09:32 PM
1. celtics - healthy boston team + wallace and improved rondo they are the favorites to win in the east
2. Cavs - add in shaq their defense jus got stronger and another scorer taht can dominate the paint, which cleveland lacked last year
3. magics - they are a better team with turkoglu than vince carter, plus they traded away courtney lee who was a very good rookie last year,

Iron24th
07-11-2009, 10:20 PM
a healthy Celtics team is the best team in the NBA.

Funny boy.

JordansBulls
07-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Ah and yes,actually they have no bench,davis is still FA,powe too and marbury is gone.

That was the first time in his career he had some sort of injury.

Tom81
07-12-2009, 12:37 PM
i don't now it's too early but
1 Celtics
2 cavs
3 magic

JordansBulls
07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Orlando surprised me last year. They got to the finals with a backcourt of Rafer and Lee. Sure they lost Hedo, but he was only needed when Jameer was out.

Now they have Jameer and Vince in the backcourt and now Bass up front.

m26555
07-13-2009, 10:28 AM
1. Boston - Rasheed Wallace is their SIXTH MAN; that should tell you enough right there.

2. Orlando - I'm not sure how replacing Turkoglu with Carter will affect the team chemistry, but the Magic still have enough talent to be a top team in the league.

3. Cleveland - They just don't have the overall talent that Boston and Orlando do.

JordansBulls
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Orlando

PG: Nelson/Johnson
SG: Carter/Redick
SF: Lewis/Pietrus
PF: Bass/Anderson
C: Howard/Gortat

Cleveland

PG: Mo Williams/Gibson
SG: Anthony Parker/West
SF: Lebron/Jackson
PF: Varajeo/Hickson
C: Shaq/Big Z

Boston

PG: Rondo/House
SG: R.Allen/T.Allen
SF: Pierce/Big Baby
PF: Garnett/Powe
C: Perkins/Rasheed

blastmasta26
07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Posted this on another thread...

1. Boston - Just have to stay healthy. If they do that, it could be Boston-LA all over again.

2. Orlando - Again, it depends on health. Specifically, Jameer Nelson has to return to his All-Star form. Rafer Alston was capable, but he missed a lot of shots and became a ballhog at times. I think Carter will do better than he did in NJ, since he is on a contender, but how much better, I don't know. This also depends on who they start at PF and if Dwight Howard can become a dominant force on offense to complement his defense.

3. Cleveland - LBJ, Shaq, and Mo Williams. That's it. Shaq has to put up the numbers he did in Phoenix and stay relatively healthy and Mo has to show up in the playoffs for the Cavs to seriously contend. LBJ also needs to get his long range jumper down consistently so that he can put up points and not get the same fatigue since he has to carry the team a lot.

naztrack
07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
cavs 3rd best in the east, face it lebron mad or not wont get pass boston r magics, but dont take it from me seeing how i cant stand lebron any more since he has become the biggest b***h in the league.