PDA

View Full Version : Who cares about the MLB?

ctitus45
07-11-2009, 02:38 AM
I know there are loyal fans out there and that attendance at ballparks are better than ever. But who really cares about Baseball anymore?

Steroids don't bother me. I do not, not, watch baseball because of 'roids. I do not watch baseball anymore because:

Games are 3-5 hours long.

No salary cap really hurts the competition from top to bottom unless you have smart front office ppl (tampa bay and florida marlins are the only ones who come to fresh memory).

The regular season is completely worthless to watch. How many times do you turn on ESPN during the first 20 games of the season to hear about "The Yankees are off to a slow start...are they done for the season?!?!" WHO CARES?! There are 100 more games left!!!

Albert Pujols has 32 HR by the all-star break and it is a whisper among the media.

The Hall of Fame voters needs to get off their high horse and quit acting like steroids haven't been around since the 50's...so who are they to judge some of the games best from what is deemed the "steroid era"?

What happened to household names? Most MLB players are known for their negative influence on the sport now than ever! ARod/Manny/McGwire/Clemens.

When was the last time everyone cared about Major League Baseball as a whole..and not as their desired team?

I loved baseball when I was a kid. Maybe being a youth is a big part of loving baseball. I wish it had the same luster because besides the great NBA offseason thus far..this is the worst time for sports in America. I want something to watch. Something to be passionate about once again.

Gigantes4Life
07-11-2009, 02:39 AM
:violin:

theproof
07-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Because MLB is the ****

/thread

Just kidding. If your asking this question than I don't think you are a real baseball fan.

CarniifeX
07-11-2009, 02:44 AM
I know there are loyal fans out there and that attendance at ballparks are better than ever. But who really cares about Baseball anymore?

Steroids don't bother me. I do not, not, watch baseball because of 'roids. I do not watch baseball anymore because:

No salary cap really hurts the competition from top to bottom unless you have smart front office ppl (tampa bay and florida marlins are the only ones who come to fresh memory).

The regular season is completely worthless to watch. How many times do you turn on ESPN during the first 20 games of the season to hear about "The Yankees are off to a slow start...are they done for the season?!?!" WHO CARES?! There are 100 more games left!!!

Albert Pujols has 32 HR by the all-star break and it is a whisper among the media.

The Hall of Fame voters needs to get off their high horse and quit acting like steroids haven't been around since the 50's...so who are they to judge some of the games best from what is deemed the "steroid era"?

What happened to household names? Most MLB players are known for their negative influence on the sport now than ever! ARod/Manny/McGwire/Clemens.

When was the last time everyone cared about Major League Baseball as a whole..and not as their desired team?

I loved baseball when I was a kid. Maybe being a youth is a big part of loving baseball. I wish it had the same luster because besides the great NBA offseason thus far..this is the worst time for sports in America. I want something to watch. Something to be passionate about once again.

You can only be a fan, if you're a true fan. It's all a statistical, numbers game. If you don't know the numbers, it's boring.

Have you not heard anyone explain why or how he's the best hitter in the bigs?

You're a prime example of someone who thinks baseball is boring, oh my goodness how could anyone watch this its so boring.

There are plenty of fans, of their teams, and baseball in general. That's why this forum is so active, among others.

theproof
07-11-2009, 02:46 AM
^
Yeah, when you know what the stats mean and know who is good and who is **** the depth of the game is endless.

abe_froman
07-11-2009, 02:47 AM
dont get the albert comment at all,they talk about him all the time

and who cares?
for one everyone in this forum...sans you i guess
and it being the second most popular sport in the us,i guess many others do as well

CarniifeX
07-11-2009, 02:47 AM
And did you not just see that no-hitter? That's another example of why us fans LOVE baseball.

ctitus45
07-11-2009, 02:51 AM
I meant, Albert in retrospect to years back to the summer of Mark and Sammy. He is getting NO LOVE compared to what they got.

I get the stats, i get baseball. Trust me.

Can't we agree that having a salary cap and/or reduced season schedule would make the game more interesting and entertaining to watch though?

Also, interleague play has ruined the mystique between the two leagues. It was a lot more fun and interesting going into the world series knowing these two teams had nothing but game film to go on.

abe_froman
07-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I meant, Albert in retrospect to years back to the summer of Mark and Sammy. He is getting NO LOVE compared to what they got.

Can't we agree that having a salary cap and/or reduced season schedule would make the game more interesting and entertaining to watch though?

Also, interleague play has ruined the mystique between the two leagues. It was a lot more fun and interesting going into the world series knowing these two teams had nothing but game film to go on.

thats because there was a chase between sammy,mark,jr. for the single season hr title.this year there's no chase,its albert and no one to rival him(and probably wont get the single season record)

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Cry me a river

Seiglance
07-11-2009, 06:45 AM
thats cool kid who cares. i dont like basketball but you dont see me saying all kinds of crap about it, like oh my god i was waiting for my show to come on but a baskeball game was on instead and the last 60 seconds took a half hr to get over because everyone fouled everyone

Seiglance
07-11-2009, 06:46 AM
also fouls are stupid i accidently slapped his hand instead of the ball and he gets two free shots omg

be quiet and quit complaining

Seiglance
07-11-2009, 06:52 AM
and btw the negative influence on the sport your talking about is bs at least their not running into the crowd pounding fans and talking about other players mothers and all that crap i hear about in the nba happening

Gigantes4Life
07-11-2009, 07:10 AM
thats cool kid who cares. i dont like basketball but you dont see me saying all kinds of crap about it, like oh my god i was waiting for my show to come on but a baskeball game was on instead and the last 60 seconds took a half hr to get over because everyone fouled everyone

Thanks for mentioning basketball.

I don't know how anyone can watch the NBA when it's so obvious that they favor bigger market teams (and I mean during games, not the media). When you see **** like the Lakers/Kings Game 6 of 2002, it's just sickening.

It's also so fun having over half the teams in the playoffs, where I team who wins 60+ games gets to play a below .500 team, and then the series still ends up going 7 games so they can maximize their ratings and each series takes like two weeks.

So yeah, I can ***** about other sports too. Baseball is the American pastime, and always will be.

ntat
07-11-2009, 07:16 AM
plenty of people do guy.

ntat
07-11-2009, 07:20 AM
and if u get stats, then why do u think shortening the season is a good idea? U asked a question that really only applies to u, because baseball is still as popular as ever, If u dont want to watch it then dont! But ur ideas to enhance the game, r not those of a real sports watcher. Sounds like u want it to be more convenient for ur schedule.

Statik1
07-11-2009, 07:20 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg) for what I think of this thread.

Seiglance
07-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for mentioning basketball.

I don't know how anyone can watch the NBA when it's so obvious that they favor bigger market teams (and I mean during games, not the media). When you see **** like the Lakers/Kings Game 6 of 2002, it's just sickening.

It's also so fun having over half the teams in the playoffs, where I team who wins 60+ games gets to play a below .500 team, and then the series still ends up going 7 games so they can maximize their ratings and each series takes like two weeks.

So yeah, I can ***** about other sports too. Baseball is the American pastime, and always will be.

That's because said team is so overrated by the media by having one good player *Cough LEBRON JAMES Cough*

detroitsports22
07-11-2009, 10:05 AM
I love baseball itself, watching my home team win games, dramatic fashions, offensive explosions, pitching duels, the reaction of the players. Baseball IS America, no matter how much the NFL gets more and more popular, long live MLB!!!!!!!

poodski
07-11-2009, 10:28 AM
MLB is the only decent pro league left.

bartoron
07-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I think most people care about the MLB.

BornAYankee23
07-11-2009, 11:30 AM
MLB is the only decent pro league left.

Not an NFL fan?

fanofclendennon
07-11-2009, 01:28 PM

I think you meant to ask "why do people really care about baseball" since your question already conceded that many certainly do care about our national pasttime. Who cares about baseball anymore? I suppose the folks who are responsible for making attendance at ballparks "better than ever."

Since you gave us your reasons why you don't care for baseball, I'll tell you why I and millions of others still love the game:

It is the only sport played without a clock. No stalling at the end, no dropping to one knee, no fouling to get the ball back, etc.

The element of surprise is greater than in any other sport. I've been watching baseball for over 40 years now and on occasions things will happen that i've never seen before. The baseball is pitched at wreckless speeds and violently hit to where no one knows.

Where as football feeds you an overload of action, baseball gives it to you in spurts of lightening bolts when you least expect it. It inspires much more art and literature than other games.

Baseball has gone relatively unchanged for nearly 100 years. A baseball game now looks nearly identical to one that was played in 1920. Basketball, on the other hand, has become a rap video. Players no longer bother to dribble properly.

You're right, baseball is not without its flaws and it's not for everyone. Some might find it a bit slow; others boring. Peformance Enhancing Drugs are certainly a problem.

They can do a better job of speeding the game along too. Why do umpires always allow batters to step out of the box and why do some pitchers have to step off the mound between every pitch?

But to paraphrase Humphrey Bogart, baseball is my game and i wouldnt think of replacing it with another.

fanofclendennon
07-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I love baseball itself, watching my home team win games, dramatic fashions, offensive explosions, pitching duels, the reaction of the players. Baseball IS America, no matter how much the NFL gets more and more popular, long live MLB!!!!!!!

Football fans shouldn't fool themselves. Gambling is what makes the NFL more popular than baseball, not the game itself. If there were no such thing as point spreads, football's popularity would dwindle.

KingerSox
07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Nice thread. Someone needs to get the sand out of their bagoina.

You cared enough to start the thread.

Go watch curling or some sh it

Freel for prez
07-11-2009, 01:58 PM
How is this a topic in a SPORTS forum? Who cares about baseball? Is that a serious question?! You realize nearly the entire World plays baseball right? IT is admired at nearly every corner in the World...And you think no one cares about baseball anymore? Can someone PLEASE get rid of this thread.

vigilantex69
07-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Most of your points are legit. It is time for a salary cap in baseball. It would never happen but in order to make the United States more involved with baseball. We NEED teams like the Nationals, Royals, Pirates, Rangers, Orioles, and Reds to do well. We NEED other cities to have winning seasons so that the fans start to rally around their baseball team again. It would be good for baseball as a whole to have a Royals Pirates World Series. Imagine how many fans in those cities would become involved in baseball again? Especially in a city like Pitts with football and hockey? Thats the problem today, see with football every season is a new year, every city and fan of any team has a legit chance at being a cinderalla and making the playoffs. It doesn't happen in baseball very much anymore. There have been a couple lately with the Rays, Rockies, and Tigers, but they all lost anyway. But how many years have we had the Yankees at the top? The Red Sox? The Braves? Baseball needs to get more well rounded and I agree that many fans are like you and after the steroids and overpriced contracts when the players are jokes and don't even play, people are losing interest. Don't listen to any of these people dogging you, your points are legit. You don't have to be a fan just because you feel you have too. Baseball should try to win you and this country back, not expect it from you. God knows they screwed me out of my childhood heroes so they owe it to alot of people. And yes, I am a baseball fan, but how many people were just like you after the strike? How long did that take to get fans back? And what did they do? They juiced up two morons to make them break a record and sell tickets. Then they got caught and what happens? Fans lose interest again...

CarniifeX
07-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Can someone close this thread now?

Freel for prez
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
If anything you should start a thread "Who cares about the NFL?" You realize America is the only nation with a Pro Football League right? And don't bring up some Euro league...NO ONE watches that crap. Countries other than America think football is stupid, they usually are either a Soccer or a Baseball country.

hgtiger32
07-11-2009, 02:51 PM
the best part from the thread starter: games are 3-5 hours long

haha...he must be watching a double header or something

games i would say take an average of 2 and a half to 3 hours

i love baseball but what I think makes him say the 3-5 hrs. is becasue baseball is more slow paced than football and basketball ~ those games are just as long

AjBurnett
07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Baseball is my fav sport and has been all my life. I rather watch Golf before I watch basketball

KingerSox
07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
OK seriously this is gay.

I'm gonna start a new thread.

And we're gonna really find out if "everybody" loves Raymond.

I do.

jscotty8
07-11-2009, 04:29 PM

[B]No salary cap really hurts the competition from top to bottom unless you have smart front office ppl (tampa bay and florida marlins are the only ones who come to fresh memory).

The regular season is completely worthless to watch. How many times do you turn on ESPN during the first 20 games of the season to hear about "The Yankees are off to a slow start...are they done for the season?!?!" WHO CARES?! There are 100 more games left!!![B/]

I think both ESPN and the lack of competetive balance really hurt this great sport... I love baseball but I can see where you are coming from.

Good thoughts!

hoggin88
07-11-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm guessing no one in this forum cares about the MLB.

ctitus45
07-11-2009, 05:16 PM
the league as a whole...from the yankees/redsox all the way down to the pirates/royals. from top to bottom this league is not as competitive as other sports.

Who thinks stephen strassburg...or whatever his name his, the No.1 Draft pick this year...who thinks he will stay with the nationals for more than his first contract? this is another reason baseball just isnt fun anymore for some people. Strassburg will be wearing a yankees or red sox jersey and making millions upon millions if he does pan out to be the superstar that is expected.

It'd just be nice to have a solid league and not a top heavy league.

I can't recall which on of y'all said this in the thread so im sorry for not giving you credit, but you're right...why should i be watching baseball right now? what is bud selig doing to generate new fans..and to bring back the old ones?

I really do wish i could love baseball the way i did when i was a kid.

Gigantes4Life
07-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I wish there would have been a poll, so it'd be like 100 to 1.

EaglesJackson10
07-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Because pujols personality sucks and hes just boring. He's amazing but at the same time people liking watching people with big personality's like mcgwire and Bonds. Also it will be more of a big deal when he gets closer to 60 then he will get more love. Also letting 7 games decide what league is better is kind of dumb.

magichatnumber9
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Baseball is for me. Oh and thank you for wasting my time reading your post.