PDA

View Full Version : Gortat: "i think orlando will match my offer"

MagicBucsSox
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2009/7/10/945135/i-have-a-feeling-now-they-magic

i think its a good move to sign him and then trade him to a team for a player.its kinda like a ransom.

what54!?
07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
with bass signing eh idk

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
^ They still need a back up center. Both him and Adonal Foyle are free agents.

what54!?
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
yeah but with limited cap space and no little players they may not be able to afford him now

jimbobjarree
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Magic will be damn good if they match

MagicBucsSox
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
i dont think to sign him.or maybe you sign him then trade one our signed guys? jj maybe?

macc
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Actually it would be a great move by the Magic I think. The Magic got a 7-8 million dollar trade exception plus cash in the Turk trade. Anytime before or during the season Orlando could trade Gortat and use their exception to get a quality/star type player. Esp from a team trying to shed some salary or just to somone who needs a quality big man.

In any case, if the Magic match it I don't see them paying a bench player a mle.

ManRam
07-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Actually it would be a great move by the Magic I think. The Magic got a 7-8 million dollar trade exception plus cash in the Turk trade. Anytime before or during the season Orlando could trade Gortat and use their exception to get a quality/star type player. Esp from a team trying to shed some salary or just to somone who needs a quality big man.

In any case, if the Magic match it I don't see them paying a bench player a mle.

I agree...to some extent. With the salary cap probably going to drop even more, we might not even need a legit player to trade to acquire a really good player. Teams probably will be giving players signed to less-than attractive contracts away real cheap. I'm not sure signing Gortat to such a huge contract, just to trade him, is a smart move. He would be a nice trade chip, but not that nice. The exception is enough of a trade asset in today's economy.

I kind of hope we don't sign him. We can't afford to pay DH12's backup that much money, and I don't think signing him, just to trade him later on is really a smart move either. If Otis signs him, I think it will be because RDV (owner) really doesn't mind paying 20 million in luxury tax, and wants the best team possible. If we sign him, I think it's because we want him.

macc
07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I agree...to some extent. With the salary cap probably going to drop even more, we might not even need a legit player to trade to acquire a really good player. Teams probably will be giving players signed to less-than attractive contracts away real cheap. I'm not sure signing Gortat to such a huge contract, just to trade him, is a smart move. He would be a nice trade chip, but not that nice. The exception is enough of a trade asset in today's economy.

I kind of hope we don't sign him. We can't afford to pay DH12's backup that much money, and I don't think signing him, just to trade him later on is really a smart move either. If Otis signs him, I think it will be because RDV (owner) really doesn't mind paying 20 million in luxury tax, and wants the best team possible. If we sign him, I think it's because we want him.

I see where you're coming from but to be honest, it's not my money thats being spent and I look at it like this. The Magic are a better team w/ Gortat then w/o him so I say go for it. Like I said, it's not my money that's being spent, if our billionaire owners want to go deeper into the luxury thats on them. Granted it's a steep price to pay for him but it wouldn't be an impossible contract to move either. Dallas has interest in him now, so I'm sure they will still be interested in him at the trade deadline, or just any other team that wants another big to compete.

Just dreaming a bit but I wouldn't mind seeing some type of trade at the dead line with a Gortat to dallas plus exception for Howard. He's a guy who can play a couple positions and give us more depth. Anyways not sure if the numbers would work or anything but that's the mindset I'm thinking would be nice if we did keep him for now because as I stated before. The Magic are better with Gortat on the team then without.

Or hell, maybe the Magic keep him and start him at the PF pos. They experiemented with it a little bit but not much. Could be a nice twin tower set with Bass coming off the bench. More players = more flexibility with lineups which is def a plus because depending on which team we're facing on a daily will determine what lineup we use alot of times

D Roses Bulls
07-10-2009, 08:07 PM
i love when you read the article how all the mavs fans are crying foul. this is a business and the magic never made no promises not to resign him. i agree though they would have a pretty good line up with him coming back off the bench.

Trouble87
07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
He probably said that before the Bass thing went down

aZekuiS
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
They should match Gortat's offer and trade him to the Pistons along with Pietrus for Tay Prince. Prince usually outplayed Turk when they met in the playoffs and is a solid defender.

ManRam
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Quote out of context...

Restricted free agent Marcin Gortat said Friday that "(he has) a feeling that the Magic are going to match it", in regards to the offer made to him Wednesday by the Mavericks.
The Orlando Sentinel reported that he also said, "doesn't look like they're going to pay all this money for a backup guy who plays only 10 minutes a game. Just gotta get ready for probably trip to Dallas," but that contradiction isn't being reported by some outlets. Either way, the possibility exists that the Magic may try to deal Gortat to any number of teams hungry for a center, and they have just under a week to figure it out.

Rotoworld

st3voness
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
This doesn't make sense. If the Magic are willing to pay luxury tax for Bass AND Gortat, why wouldn't they just pay it for Hedo?

There's a little something more behind this story. If the Magic do match, I don't think any team would be willing to deal with them come trade deadline for pulling shady stunts like that. I doubt they match, though.

Anon
07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
I see where you're coming from but to be honest, it's not my money thats being spent

Exactly, enough with all this crap about cannot afford him. If the owner wants to pay him, "we" can afford him.

The Lakers are 22,000,000 over the cap right now without adding in 6 mil for Artest and Brown and are still talking about signing Odom for 7 or 8 mil. The salary cap doesn't mean a thing. If you owner is willing to pay you can sign just about whoever you want.

st3voness
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Exactly, enough with all this crap about cannot afford him. If the owner wants to pay him, "we" can afford him.

The Lakers are 22,000,000 over the cap right now without adding in 6 mil for Artest and Brown and are still talking about signing Odom for 7 or 8 mil. The salary cap doesn't mean a thing. If you owner is willing to pay you can sign just about whoever you want.

You're an idiot.

If you knew anything about the salary cap, you'd know about the EXCEPTIONS about going over the cap.

Let's start with MLE. In case you didn't know, it means Mid-Level Exception. This is what Ron Artest signed with the Lakers. Even though the Lakers are over the cap and Artest's salary will count against the luxury tax, he's an EXCEPTION to still be signed.

There are also many other exceptions that can be used when dealing with the salary cap, but a big rule is that you can sign your OWN players from LAST SEASON to however much you want, regardless of how high the luxury tax or over the salary cap it is. This is why Shannon Brown and Lamar Odom can still be signed with the Lakers even though they're over the cap because they were on the team last season.

If the salary cap "didn't matter", then what would be the point in the NBA having to approve trades? Let's think before we just start posting random crap, okay?

kjdills13
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
they could do something along the lines to gain money, so then they could sign odom

gorat (mle)
pietris ( 5.3 mill)

to the suns

pavlovic (4.9 mill but only guarenteed 2 so can be bought out for 2 mill)

the suns then buy out ben wallace to make cap space

with this trade it opens up 3.3 million dollars Pluss the money they got in the S&T they could sign odom.

howards
lewis
odom
carter
nelson

kjdills13
07-10-2009, 08:50 PM
but more realisticly he will be traded in a sighn and trade him and peitris for josh howard.

st3voness
07-10-2009, 08:50 PM
they could do something along the lines to gain money, so then they could sign odom

gorat (mle)
pietris ( 5.3 mill)

to the suns

pavlovic (4.9 mill but only guarenteed 2 so can be bought out for 2 mill)

the suns then buy out ben wallace to make cap space

with this trade it opens up 3.3 million dollars Pluss the money they got in the S&T they could sign odom.

howards
lewis
odom
carter
nelson

You guys wouldn't be able to offer L.O. anything. It'd have to be a sign-and-trade with the Lakers if you have used your MLE already.

Anon
07-10-2009, 08:53 PM
There are also many other exceptions that can be used when dealing with the salary cap, but a big rule is that you can sign your OWN players from LAST SEASON to however much you want, regardless of how high the luxury tax or over the salary cap it is.

I'm trying to remember, who did Gortat play for last year?

st3voness
07-10-2009, 08:53 PM
but more realisticly he will be traded in a sighn and trade him and peitris for josh howard.

And a 1st, then we have a deal.

st3voness
07-10-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm trying to remember, who did Gortat play for last year?

I know, you guys can match the offer and go up in luxury tax. But you and I both know that you thought you could just sign any player you want to if the owner was willing to pay the tax on it. So don't try to sound all educated now after using your terrible LAL scenario.

Anon
07-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Actually I am quite aware of the current salary cap rules as collectively bargained by the NBA and the Players Association. I believe I used the phrase "just about whoever you want" which apparently you read as any player you want; understandable considering the current state of public education. I suppose I could have said: pretty much, or generally speaking or for the most part and perhaps you would have caught on. Ultimately the point I was trying to make, apparently not successfully, was that this offseason Orlando could have resigned Turk, made the VC trade, signed Bass, resigned Gortat and still had part of the MLE left over. I consider this 'just about whoever you want."

All the best players are going to teams that are already over the cap: LA, Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio, Orlando, etc... So does it really make a difference how much you are under.

kjdills13
07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
You guys wouldn't be able to offer L.O. anything. It'd have to be a sign-and-trade with the Lakers if you have used your MLE already.

they wouldnt have used the MLE they will use the money they get in the suns trade 3 million plus the other trade about 700 thousean plus the MLE which is 5.84 million

thats a 9 million dollar contract they could offer him. he would sign the same day if he was offered that.

st3voness
07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
they wouldnt have used the MLE they will use the money they get in the suns trade 3 million plus the other trade about 700 thousean plus the MLE which is 5.84 million

thats a 9 million dollar contract they could offer him. he would sign the same day if he was offered that.

Even though you shed some money from the salary cap doesn't mean you can use that money you saved (in your case, the 3 million) if your team is still over the cap (which they would be). All you'd be able to offer is full MLE (if you still have it), but L.O. probably wouldn't go for that.

st3voness
07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually I am quite aware of the current salary cap rules as collectively bargained by the NBA and the Players Association. I believe I used the phrase "just about whoever you want" which apparently you read as any player you want; understandable considering the current state of public education. I suppose I could have said: pretty much, or generally speaking or for the most part and perhaps you would have caught on. Ultimately the point I was trying to make, apparently not successfully, was that this offseason Orlando could have resigned Turk, made the VC trade, signed Bass, resigned Gortat and still had part of the MLE left over. I consider this 'just about whoever you want."

All the best players are going to teams that are already over the cap: LA, Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio, Orlando, etc... So does it really make a difference how much you are under.

Yeah, those players are going there because they are offering their expiring contracts and taking on those "elite" players' contracts. You can only take in 125% of the money going out.

Your exact words were "the salary cap doesn't mean a thing" -- which, by context, is entirely false.

Yes, the salary cap doesn't mean a thing when it comes to re-signing your own players from the previous season or offering free agents a contract with your "exceptions" if your owner is willing to pay for it. Yes, the salary cap does mean something when it comes to simply offering a free agent a contract (that isn't MLE money).

So, if Orlando wants to sign Dwayne Wade this upcoming offseason, can they? No. Can a team that is under the cap? Yes.

Let's be honest. If the economy wasn't in such a rut, Artest would NOT be signing with the Lakers for MLE.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but vague comments like those when you don't specify what you mean are contagious with some of these other ill-informed PSD members. Pretty soon we'll be seeing threads/posts of a NJN fan thinking they can sign Wade, Bosh, and Amare all to max contracts since the salary cap doesn't matter.

MagicBucsSox
07-10-2009, 09:31 PM
i think a trade for josh howard and his expiring contract could be involved here. maybe
orlando gets howard
dallas gets gortat& jj or peitrus?

st3voness
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
i think a trade for josh howard and his expiring contract could be involved here. maybe
orlando gets howard
dallas gets gortat& jj or peitrus?

Gortat, Pietrus, and a 1st. J-Ho is proven; Gortat is a backup C and Pietrus is a key bench player. I think Orlando's 1st (which will be pretty low since you guys will be high up in the standings) would be appropriate and I'd do that deal.

kjdills13
07-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Ill tell you what SHOULD happen

Utah sends - carlos boozer

orlando sends - gorat ( bc they have a 7-8 million dollar trade exception)

orlando then becomes the BEST team in hte league

Utah clears up cap space to sighn milsap and gets a good backup/ potential starting center

magic lineup

howard
boozer
Lewis
carter
nelson

that is 5 all stars! that team is the best team in the league

MagicBucsSox
07-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Gortat, Pietrus, and a 1st. J-Ho is proven; Gortat is a backup C and Pietrus is a key bench player. I think Orlando's 1st (which will be pretty low since you guys will be high up in the standings) would be appropriate and I'd do that deal.

ya, i like it ill take it. but there'd have to be a throw in.

Young2Kinsler
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM

If Dallas would do that deal, the front office should all just hang themselves. TERRIBLE deal. If we trade Howard its for a PROVEN SG

st3voness
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Ill tell you what SHOULD happen

Utah sends - carlos boozer

orlando sends - gorat ( bc they have a 7-8 million dollar trade exception)

orlando then becomes the BEST team in hte league

Utah clears up cap space to sighn milsap and gets a good backup/ potential starting center

magic lineup

howard
boozer
Lewis
carter
nelson

that is 5 all stars! that team is the best team in the league

Utah would do this why? :confused:

Okur just signed a 2-year deal.

LA_Raiders
07-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Thats with Odom Included

st3voness
07-10-2009, 10:00 PM
If Dallas would do that deal, the front office should all just hang themselves. TERRIBLE deal. If we trade Howard its for a PROVEN SG

You're not getting fair value in return, but I'm looking ahead to next offseason when we should get our marquee SG (Dwayne Wade, Joe Johnson-type players) for Dampier's contract. Then we slide Pietrus onto the bench and him and Terry become the best bench in the NBA. And you ensure we still get Gortat.

MAC10TIZZY
07-10-2009, 10:01 PM
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2009/7/10/945135/i-have-a-feeling-now-they-magic

i think its a good move to sign him and then trade him to a team for a player.its kinda like a ransom.

why would he be "down" about playing for the magic again

Anon
07-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Thats with Odom Included

No, it's not. Just use ESPN's trade machine. Players that are not on your team do not count against your cap unless you cut them.

FYI-The Mavs are 36 million over the oh so meaningful salary cap.

cowboyz180
07-10-2009, 10:37 PM
that was before the bass signing...

Young2Kinsler
07-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Mark Cuban doesn't give a **** about the luxury tax, thats why he are over. If we are talking sign and trade... what about...

Gortat to Dallas
For Bass and Shawne Williams

Then both teams keep their MLE

carter15
07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Mark Cuban doesn't give a **** about the luxury tax, thats why he are over. If we are talking sign and trade... what about...

Gortat to Dallas
For Bass and Shawne Williams

Then both teams keep their MLE

bass to magic is already official i think..and since he wasnt restricted hes property of the magic already...i cud be wrong tho...but i think that trade wud be impossible cuz of that.

Young2Kinsler
07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
bass to magic is already official i think..and since he wasnt restricted hes property of the magic already...i cud be wrong tho...but i think that trade wud be impossible cuz of that.

I think you are right, I was thinking Dallas could still sign and trade him, but I think he is unrestricted.

Anon
07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
that was before the bass signing...

No, it's not.

Brandon Bass was a UFA which means he did not count against the Mavs currently salary cap.

If you are trying to count last years salary he made $826,269. That would make it 35 and change.

cowboyz180
07-10-2009, 11:00 PM
why would he be "down" about playing for the magic again
b/c of lack of playing time

st3voness
07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
That ESPN Trade Machine is messed up for the Mavs. All those salaries added together is 70 mil without Marion and Kidd. Then, add in about 8 mil for both. = 86. Definitely not 94. We are also buying out Buckner, so that's about 3 more. We should be around 84-85.

tr3ymill3r
07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Gortat is a B I T C H anyways, after the comments I read about him coming to Houston, not wanting to fill the void of Yao. He's a scared puss, who wants his money but doesn't want the commitment to the fans on performing. Go away Gortat, you had your run in Orlando, just go away.

MAC10TIZZY
07-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Gortat is a B I T C H anyways, after the comments I read about him coming to Houston, not wanting to fill the void of Yao. He's a scared puss, who wants his money but doesn't want the commitment to the fans on performing. Go away Gortat, you had your run in Orlando, just go away.

he's been runnin around with turk to much

Tommyh1331
07-11-2009, 12:16 AM
sign and trade with Dallas or houston!! we have no reason not too

kjdills13
07-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Utah would do this why? :confused:

Okur just signed a 2-year deal.

bc they dont care about getting a player back they will get HUGE cap relief which is what they want! and the ywill have there backup center of the future and could play okur at the 4 at times! utah WISHES boozer opted out so this way they will get something and still shred about 7 mill in cap

#1Mavericksfan
07-11-2009, 03:03 AM

What more do you want from Dallas?...I mean you already have Bass what you want Dirk too?

Tommyh1331
07-11-2009, 03:24 AM
What more do you want from Dallas?...I mean you already have Bass what you want Dirk too?

lol I would love to have Dirk, but in all honesty I wouldn't want any Dallas players after thinking it over...Dampier is owed to much money and would only play 10-12 minutes j. howard ankles are a liability...so basically no go...we really don't need gortat, Howard can make another young guy into another gortat...thats how gortat finally got better...going against howard everyday should dramatically improve most people's game!

MagicBucsSox
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
CRAZY, GORTAT YESTERDAY:'' MAGIC WILL MATCH''

ORLANDO -- With nothing else pressing before he leaves for his native Poland on Saturday, Marcin Gortat has been hanging around the Orlando Pro Summer League this week, rubbing shoulders with various NBA people.

And he doesn't like what he's been hearing.

Gortat, a restricted free agent, was ecstatic earlier this week after signing an offer sheet worth $33 million over five years with the Dallas Mavericks, believing it was his ticket to both riches and a starting position in the NBA. Now he hears otherwise. Because he is a restricted free agent, the Magic can keep him just by matching the Mavericks' offer.

"I have a feeling now they (Magic) are going to match it,'' Gortat said Friday between Summer League Games. "That's what I'm hearing, they will match. We'll have to see, but I'm kind of down right now. Either way, I'll end up on a pretty good team.''

Although Gortat is guaranteed the same money on either team, his development as a player could be greatly effected if he remains in Orlando.

Dallas would be expecting him to replace Erick Dampier in the starting lineup. The Magic would keep him as a backup to All-Star center Dwight Howard, which would limit his minutes considerably."You just never know about [Otis Smith]. He can laugh. He can smile, and at the end of the day, it's no, no, no, they aren't going to match, and all of a sudden I'm finding out they might match.''
-- Marcin Gortat

Although Gortat also could see time at power forward in Orlando -- the Magic experimented last season with Gortat and Howard playing together -- the signing of free agent power forward Brandon Bass on Friday would further limit his role.

"I want to develop my game and become a better player,'' he said. "I just don't know if I'd be getting the same minutes to play here as in Dallas.''

The Magic agreed to a four-year, $18 million deal with Bass, hoping he gives them more of a physical presence to complement a lineup mostly of shooters. It will allow Rashard Lewis to spend more time at his natural position of small forward.

Although Gortat's contract would seem excessive for a backup, the Magic still view him as an asset, and there are plenty of teams looking for centers. They would have to wait at least 90 days before they could trade him.

"I've said all along, I think the number (his contract) is a little high,'' Smith said. "But that doesn't change how we think. One thing (signing Bass) doesn't have anything to do with the other (matching Gortat). I'm still working on a few other things, and until those transpire, it's kind of premature to say what we're going to do.''

Smith still would like to add another wing player, another center/forward and a third point guard to the roster. Regardless of who else is signed, they still expect a starting lineup of Howard, Lewis, Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter and Mickael Pietrus.

"He (Smith) is like an iceberg,'' Gortat said. "You just never know about him. He can laugh. He can smile, and at the end of the day, it's no, no, no, they aren't going to match, and all of a sudden I'm finding out they might match.''

Raph12
07-11-2009, 11:09 AM
^Yeah that Gortat, he is hoping and praying he can get a title without much responsibility lol. I don't see them matching, Damp has 12m on his salary and J Howard has 11m on his, we can do it with the trade exception, but why would we pay 12m for Damp to play backup when we could pay 5m for Gortat to play backup, plus J Howard is never healthy and even with a breakthrough season from him Orlando has VC, Lewis and Bass to fill the 2, 3 and 4, why would they need J Howard? Let Dallas have Gortat wait until weak teams with stars who have expiring contracts try dumping (ie. Carlos Boozer) than play the trump card (trade exception) and you got a 5-allstar starting line.
*Not saying this will happen but the trade exception is something they should wait on and use during the season

st3voness
07-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Magic have until July 15th to match, which is Thursday.

Young2Kinsler
07-11-2009, 02:19 PM

IF you sign Gortat he cannot be traded until December. I got a feeling Gortat will be in Dallas. A very respected Dallas reporter feels the same way, I trust him.

J-Relo
07-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Gortat would get more minutes in Dallas... lol