PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Blazers going after Millsap when they have Aldridge?

JordansBulls
07-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Why are the Blazers going after Millsap when they have Aldridge?

phlp_bj
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
backup off the bench maybe. or as insurance if oden is out again. or their doing this to screw the jazz over cap wise. this will make them do the boozer deal to chicago. blazers then get hinrich, who they have been coveting for a long time.

jnb58
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM
So when the starting unit goes out the second unit will run up the score.

Bayless
Rudy
Outlaw/Batum
Millsap
Pryz

This is turning into a joke. Good luck. For 20 minutes a game a first unit will be going against a second unit EVERY GAME.

blackjack_119
07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
This is mainly putting pressure on Utah to make a trade (which likely would have to involve Portland since they are one of the few teams with cap space.)

Utah desperately wants to keep Millsap, but because of the way that Portland has structured the contract, it would cost Utah about $25M for the first year alone to match the contract.

So basically, if Utah wants to match, they have one week to shed salary (and Portland is one of the few teams that can give Utah enough cap relief to match the offer.) The most likely scenario is one where Utah sends Boozer to either Chicago or Detroit or possibly Houston who in turn, send a player who actually fits what Portland is looking for (Hinrich, Prince, Battier) Portland sends Utah a trade exemption (effectively removing Boozers salary from the roster) and they have the cap space to match the offer for Paul Millsap.

Portland obviously couldn't find a willing trading partner themselves, so this is forcing another team (the Jazz) to be a trading partner with them. Worst case scenario, Portland is over paying for a backup PF, but since the contract is front-loaded, it is not that big of a deal.

jimbobjarree
07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
signing Millsap was our priority going into the offseason. The contract seems about right for him, it will get matched. Since we dont have to pay the luxury tax until this tim enext year it gives us a long long time to try and slash salary (we're going to be roughly 10 million into the luxury tax)

blackjack_119
07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
signing Millsap was our priority going into the offseason. The contract seems about right for him, it will get matched. Since we dont have to pay the luxury tax until this tim enext year it gives us a long long time to try and slash salary (we're going to be roughly 10 million into the luxury tax)

The contract is front-loaded with a large signing bonus which puts Utah much higher into luxury with an immediate cost of the signing bonus.

I should think this is dirty by Portland, but after the Vikings gave Steve Hutchinson the contract that guaranteed his entire contract if "in any season he played more than 3 games in Seattle" so that the Seahawks couldn't match it... everything is fair game.

lakers4sho
07-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Either they get Millsap, or they get Hinrich, without losing anything significant. Sneaky, sneaky bastards.

ManRam
07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Can't have too much size, or depth. If you have the money, why not spend it?

However, I'd rather them throw everything at Odom, just so LA doesn't get him back...

lakers4sho
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Can't have too much size, or depth. If you have the money, why not spend it?

However, I'd rather them throw everything at Odom, just so LA doesn't get him back...

They need a banger who can get boards underneath the rim. Aldridge is a high post player, they can't depend on Pryzbilla and the unproven Oden to do all the dirty job. Millsap is the perfect guy, Odom gets beasted by bigger players.

JM09
07-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Aldridge isn't that dominant low post scoring presence. Just because they have a productive PF in aldridge doesn't mean their PF position is good to go.

Odom is a defensive presence, and plus he gets hurt. Millsap will give them that inside scoring that LeMarcus doesn't have

lakersrock
07-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Because they need a tough guy in the post. He and Przybilla would be quite the pair when both in together. You wouldn't think so, but they both play incredibly hard.

jnb58
07-10-2009, 09:59 PM

This guy is great... Lol. I read everything he writes because he literally makes me laugh. I am a fanboy too. I would feel terrible if I liked the Jazz.

superkegger
07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
This is mainly putting pressure on Utah to make a trade (which likely would have to involve Portland since they are one of the few teams with cap space.)

Utah desperately wants to keep Millsap, but because of the way that Portland has structured the contract, it would cost Utah about $25M for the first year alone to match the contract.

So basically, if Utah wants to match, they have one week to shed salary (and Portland is one of the few teams that can give Utah enough cap relief to match the offer.) The most likely scenario is one where Utah sends Boozer to either Chicago or Detroit or possibly Houston who in turn, send a player who actually fits what Portland is looking for (Hinrich, Prince, Battier) Portland sends Utah a trade exemption (effectively removing Boozers salary from the roster) and they have the cap space to match the offer for Paul Millsap.

Portland obviously couldn't find a willing trading partner themselves, so this is forcing another team (the Jazz) to be a trading partner with them. Worst case scenario, Portland is over paying for a backup PF, but since the contract is front-loaded, it is not that big of a deal.

this

Ansy
07-10-2009, 10:06 PM
It's more likely that the Blazers get somebody else out of this because Utah really wants to keep Millsap and the contract is reasonable. But this move forces trades, and Portland is very likely to be the beneficiary of them because they just made their cap space a lot more valuable.

Worst case scenario, it's a free asset, and it makes Portland better.

KB24PG16
07-10-2009, 10:11 PM

basically good answer :clap:

LA_Raiders
07-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Utah won't let him go....

cowboyz180
07-10-2009, 10:29 PM
if they do make the trade, then it dosent make sence to pay 10 million to a back-up unless they start him.

abe_froman
07-11-2009, 01:41 AM

perfectly put

bogmon
07-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Seems as though Paul Allen is letting Pritchard throw some money around this offseason and really go all out on this one.
I am extremely impressed with the aggressive tactics the Blazers are taking in free agency. They realize this team is just a few pieces away from being truly spectacular, and they are being very practical in the pursuit of quality talent.
If the Millsap deal doesn't happen, I hope the Blazers parlay this into a trade scenario that allows them to sacrifice Blake and perhaps only Outlaw or Batum...they need to be prudent this year and not give up too much to fill team needs.

JordansBulls
07-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Utah won't let him go....

Probably true, but I see no need to go after Millsap to make him a backup at that amount of money.

RyderRyfle
07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
because he can come off the bench and pryzbilla's a free agent.

jimbobjarree
07-11-2009, 11:54 AM
probably cus they know Oden is a bust

Raps18-19 Champ
07-11-2009, 12:02 PM
1 guess might be is that they gave up on Oden.

Have Aldridge at the C and Millsap at the PF.

Jahari Kavi
07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
aldridge is a finesse big man.....milsap is not.......I'm sure someone has already said this, but I didn't read the responses............getting milsap would be a great move....

Tblaze
07-11-2009, 12:07 PM
You guys are hilarious, Przybilla a free agent? No, he's not.

Given up on Oden? Not in a million years.

MAYBE they offered him that contract because their biggest need was a backup PF who brings toughness, and wait!!!!! Millsap is the best case scenario there :O

how it all comes together

theimortalone
07-11-2009, 12:24 PM

What he said!

BUCSFORLIFE123
07-11-2009, 02:09 PM
b/c millsap is a post presence and lamarcus is a jump shooter

D-Will4Prez
07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
If Utah matches Millsap I guarantee you he'll be starting. I don't think the Blazers actually want Millsap for the money they're offering, I think they're just trying to make Utah fork up more money to keep him. Prob just trying to pick a fight with a NW conference rival >.>

jdillion
07-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Because they are bored and could not find anyone else to sign

daleja424
07-11-2009, 09:57 PM
...becasue it will make Utah spend more to keep him...this hurting a western Conference rival in the long run...

IndyRealist
07-11-2009, 10:47 PM
You guys are hilarious, Przybilla a free agent? No, he's not.

Given up on Oden? Not in a million years.

MAYBE they offered him that contract because their biggest need was a backup PF who brings toughness, and wait!!!!! Millsap is the best case scenario there :O

how it all comes together

$32M for a backup PF is an awful lot.

LA_Raiders
07-12-2009, 02:17 AM
to **** up utah....

Ansy
07-12-2009, 02:54 AM
$32M for a backup PF is an awful lot.

but $32-mil for a near all-star level forward is a crazy bargain. With so many franchise players becoming free-agents next season, assets in the NBA are about to become more liquid than they've ever been. Having extra super-talented frontcourt players would not be an issue.

Beyond that, the Blazers expect Utah to match, but making this offer forces them to make a negative-sum trade, which creates extra value for Portland's cap space.

Never under-estimate the power of the Pritchard.

cameroncrazies2
07-12-2009, 03:17 AM
There's new news coming out of this situation....apparently, the Blazers have put a $10.35 million up front bonus in the contract meaning, whichever team Millsap signs the contract with, that team will have to pay Millsap an unprecedented $10.35 million within 7 days of signing said contract.

For the Blazers, no big deal. An NBA contract is guaranteed anyway. They can afford to pay him a lot now. Plus, this probably means the year by year amount will probably decrease which is a huge benefit if they were to trade him in the future.

For the Jazz, uh-oh. The thinking was that the Jazz could match the offer and retain Millsap, then, trade Boozer by next February (when the luxury tax bill comes) and not have to pay as much, or any luxury tax. Now though, they'd have to pay Millsap right away and pay Boozer his final year of his contract. I don't think the Jazz can afford to match this now.

abe_froman
07-12-2009, 03:22 AM
they can,its a question of if they want to

Derick713
07-12-2009, 04:23 AM
At first glance the Blazers are wasting a ton of money on a bench player. Most would assume that the Blazers could've resigned Frye or Diogu to be the back-up to Aldridge.

The Blazers are probably betting on the Jazz matching the offer. The Best Case scenario for the Blazers is that the Jazz are forced to trade Boozer while paying Millsap a ton of money. After the Blazers fail to land Millsap they will go after Odom so they can weaken a conference rival.

The Blazers are simply weakening one of their division rivals for next season. The Blazers have put the Jazz in quite a bind. Millsap isn't the low post scorer that Boozer is. The Jazz have already alienated Boozer to the point that both sides think it's best if they parted ways. The Blazers are forcing the Jazz to get rid of a rotation player sooner rather than later. If Millsap is the future then they Jazz have to trade Boozer or cut salary somewhere.

Legitimate
07-12-2009, 05:05 AM
How can the Blazers be so heartless? lol...

architect13563
07-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Looks like a power play to me.

I think they're doing it to push the Jazz to trade boozer. That way, they may still have a chance to get hinrich. Otherwise, getting another developing PF would be an odd move. They should get a Solid Vet at that position to mentor Aldridge and Oden.
besides... they still need a solid SF more than anything..

Thing is.. i think, if the Jazz do match... and in turn, if the blazers get hinrich, they may go hard at Odom...

If Utah doesn't go for it though, Milsap is pretty solid too.

lakerboy
07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I honestly think they could have gotten a better player in the FA if the GM were any good. They have cap space now and with no free agents, the GM just signed whoever is available.

valade16
07-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I honestly think they could have gotten a better player in the FA if the GM were any good. They have cap space now and with no free agents, the GM just signed whoever is available.

What better player? Who is this magical better player in FA that we could've gotten. The best Free Agents available are: Hedo (who we tried to get remember?), David Lee (restricted and a PF), Odom, Millsap, Ariza, and maybe Miller (another restricted)...

That's not a lot of options...

AntwanN21
07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
They either think oden is not going to become the player he is suppose to be or they need insurance incase he does get injured. I heard that portland wouldnt have enough money to resign both roy and aldrige so in that case they would take roy and be able to still have milsap at the pf position

AntwanN21
07-12-2009, 11:30 AM

there really wasnt any free agents the couldve landed

Hedo:signed with the raptors
I dont think they wanted Odom or Ariza

IMO they shouldve went after Miller so they could have a legit point guard

jimbobjarree
07-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Utah are going to match though. So now we can hold up their off season 7 days by waiting until the last minute to match. By that time I really hope Miller, Felton and Lamar Odom are all signed up by then

Tblaze
07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
there really wasnt any free agents the couldve landed

Hedo:signed with the raptors
I dont think they wanted Odom or Ariza

IMO they shouldve went after Miller so they could have a legit point guard

Miller wanted 10M over atleast 3 years, no thanks.

I like our options now, even though Utah will likely match. They are going to be forced to make a deal to cut salary anyhow.

Kakaroach
07-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Not to mention Pryzbilla and Oden as well as ALD. Who cares the Jazz will match anyway...