PDA

View Full Version : Royals acquire Yuniesky Betancourt

Ian.
07-10-2009, 04:38 PM
The Royals acquired Yuniesky Betancourt and cash from the Mariners for a pair of minor league pitchers, according to Joe Hamrahi of Baseball Daily Digest. Betancourt makes at least $10MM before his current deal expires, so it'll be interesting to see how much the Mariners are contributing.

Here's some info on the pitchers, from Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune. Danny Cortes, 22, will report to AA. He's 6-2 with a 3.12 ERA in his last eleven games after a rough start to the year in the Royals organization. He was the Royals' minor league pitcher of the year last year and Baseball America labelled him the best minor league pitcher in the organization entering this year.

Derrick Saito, 21, has struck out more than a batter per inning in A ball. The 21-year-old lefty will begin his Mariners career in A ball.

MLBTradeRumors.com

BoyGenius
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Royals are just acquiring up a storm, I don't like this move though never have liked Betancourt.

Ian.
07-10-2009, 05:37 PM
There's nothing to like about him.

BoyGenius
07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
There's nothing to like about him.

Hey wait a minute now. He may not be able to hit, He may not be the greatest defender, but if you want someone to occupy space between 2nd and 3rd base he's better darn good at that.

FWBrodie
07-10-2009, 06:22 PM
The Royals just gave up their #1 pitching prospect for the worst position player in the major leagues.

BoyGenius
07-10-2009, 06:55 PM
The Royals just gave up their #1 pitching prospect for the worst position player in the major leagues.

Wow didn't read that what an awful trade. I figured it was just for a PTBNL

MattColby
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Enjoy Yuni, he is an awful player. We are so happy to finally get rid of him. Your GM gave up your #1 pitching prospect, I'd be pissed if I were a Royals fan.

Ian.
07-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Enjoy Yuni, he is an awful player. We are so happy to finally get rid of him. Your GM gave up your #1 pitching prospect, I'd be pissed if I were a Royals fan.

Do those exist?

:laugh2:

Yendil
07-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey wait a minute now. He may not be able to hit, He may not be the greatest defender, but if you want someone to occupy space between 2nd and 3rd base he's better darn good at that.

:laugh: you sir get two thumbs up! :up:

Cooper
07-11-2009, 12:10 AM
He has a .970 career fielding pct. He gets 2-3 million per, and the Mariners are still going to suck tomorrow....even with him gone!

Cooper
07-11-2009, 12:19 AM
He was our #3 pitching prospect with a head like a watermelon! Duffy is the #1 pitching prospect. The 10 million dollars includes an inflated team option in three years, which we wont do. seattle is also paying us to take him, besides the player trades. This isnt a bad trade....in fact, its probably a good trade. We can get Bloomquist away from the shortstop position, and quit playing pena and his .089 batting average as a defensive upgrade in the late innings!

MattColby
07-11-2009, 02:16 AM
He has a .970 career fielding pct. He gets 2-3 million per, and the Mariners are still going to suck tomorrow....even with him gone!

That's funny because the Royals keep taking the players the Mariners don't want. So what does that make them if we suck and they are 7 games worse than us? We are just happy to be rid of him. We would have been happy getting a bag of peanut shells for him.

FWBrodie
07-11-2009, 01:08 PM
He was our #3 pitching prospect with a head like a watermelon! Duffy is the #1 pitching prospect. The 10 million dollars includes an inflated team option in three years, which we wont do. seattle is also paying us to take him, besides the player trades. This isnt a bad trade....in fact, its probably a good trade. We can get Bloomquist away from the shortstop position, and quit playing pena and his .089 batting average as a defensive upgrade in the late innings!

HA!

Trust me, after about a month of watching Betancourt A) slap the first pitch of every at bat into the dirt and B) let every soft groundball up the middle get by him, you'll be begging for Willie B.

Betancourt is probably the dumbest player I've ever seen play major league baseball. You do realize he's by far the lowest rated shortstop in the game both defensively and offensively right?

The Royals blew it... big time.

MattColby
07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Do those exist?

It's never been proven. :confused:

Punkindrublic03
07-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Do those exist?

lmao. I came in here to see what the royals fans think of this trade and all I see are peeps from the M's forum posting in here.... so i guess there are no KC royals fans. hahahaha enjoy Yuni for the next 2 seasons

Cooper
07-12-2009, 08:19 PM
You guys can keep trading your "crappy" players to us as long as you keep coming in here to post about it! Royals fans are just smart enough to know that we have no control over what the management does with the roster. Laugh if you must, but Betancourt IS an upgrade at short for what we have been dealing with.....we had a streak of 15 errors in 12 games! At this point, someone who knows what hand the glove goes on would be a welcome addition. Mike Aviles and Coco Crisp are out for the season, and Alex Gordon will be coming off the D.L. after the break. John Buck has been out until this week, and we have missed time to injury with Joakim Soria and Gil Meche on top of that.

Glad to know our suffering amuses you guys so much. :bla:

nsadoru2
07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
He's better than TPJ and buys time for Aviles or a free agent after next year. I am tired of the Royals getting half-*** guys instead of signing one or two legitimate high price guys. We are fielding a team of utility players and it's awful. Freel should of never happened.

Ian.
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Must suck being a Royals fan.

I'm totally kidding. At least you guys have Greinke, Gordon and a bunch of great prospects.

BoyGenius
07-18-2009, 12:09 AM
So wouldnt you guys rather have had Julio Lugo seems like a better choice to me

Cooper
07-18-2009, 03:41 PM
He would be cheaper!

BoyGenius
07-18-2009, 10:52 PM
He would be cheaper!

And better

ShockerArt
08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/other-factors-1-numbers-behind-numbers-0/

I guess you can't make errors if you don't get anywhere near the baseball ...

mvpgreinke
08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
bettancourt has been a huge bust for us already. i would much rather see who we have in the minors give it a shot than waste our time on this joker