PDA

View Full Version : introduce yourselves, devs fan!

friarfan07
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
i see more and more devheads in here by the day, which is awesome. i just wanted to make a thread, besides the rather plain welcome thread, where we can introduce ourselves and just sort of shoot the breeze. seems fun, at least until the season starts and we make the playoffs for, what is it, the 20th time in the past 22 seasons, including 13 straight appearances? ;)

so, i'll go first. i'm from san diego, so the fact that i'm a devils fan seems bizarre on the surface. but, i assure you, i am as big a devs fan as i am of any other team in any other sport, maybe moreso. i went to my first hockey game back in continental in 1991. i got to see brodeur in his first professional season. my uncle even bought me a black hat with the old green and red logo. i still have it, tattered as it may be.

since then, i have been a huge devs fan. i even flew out this year to watch us beat the sharks 6-5 back in february. the new arena was amazing, and the atmosphere electric. i consider jersey my second home, mainly because of the devils (and atlantic city, and jersey girls who are trashy yet sophistocated and sexy either way).

so that's my story. my favorite player is patrik elias. i have a jersey he signed for me after the game i went to earlier this year. some other favorite devs of past and present include martin brodeur, jason arnott, scott stevens, and scott niedermayer.

so, your turn. let's get to know each other a little bit so when we win the cup (again), we can celebrate as fans and friends. :up:

TheDetroitBlue
07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Im from windsor Canada first off let me state that I CANNOT stand the redwings or the maple leafs for that matter I started watching the Devils around 1997, I loved there hard nose players during that time such as Arnott, Danekyo, Mckay, Gilmour, and esp. Johnny Mac, Holik, and Stevens. And of course and of course the rising star Martin Brodeur.

My favourite Player on NJ was John Madden (Sad to see him leave) then Stevens then Danekyo.

Other then the Redwings I love and follow all other Detroit Sports teams: Tigers, Pistons, and of course my Lions (0-16) sighh.... lol

Other then that go devils!

NjDevilsFan
07-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm from Staten Island New York so there's not many hockey fans around here let alone Devils fans, one of my favorite regular season memories was going to the game with my dad and brother (both DIE HARD Rangers fans) with me and my cousin the Devils fans when they won against the Rangers 8-5 the game was going back and fourth so much we were yelling at each other non stop.
My favorite Current players are Elias Brodeur and Parise all time Devs would have to be Scott Stevens.
Oh and I was born to a huge rangers fan father and am the younger brother of a giant rangers fan and I've been a Devs fan since 4 years old. Go figure lol.

friarfan07
07-11-2009, 12:47 PM
^ that's awesome. the ranger fanbase is overpopulated as it is. lol. :D

Jersey Mike
07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I am from the heart of jersey (or the armpit depending on how you look at it) central shore right near asbury park...I've always been a devils fan (my son and I are huge fans). There are way too many ranger fans around here though...I don't blame them because most are generational fans (their dads and grandpops were all fans) so unlike njdevilsfan they were sucked in from birth...as a kid you were either an islander's fan, a ranger fan or a flyers fan...so our fanbase in this area is still developing...I'm glad to see a lot of youngsters taking to the devils...hockey in general wasn't HUGE like it is now around here until about 10 years ago...then a lot of high schools began their programs around here and it began to take off...well that was my central jersey hockey schpeel...now for me...

I'm born and raised here in jersey...spent some time at camp pendleton while I was in the marine corps out near friar fan...still am jealous about you being out there my friend...I've been to a lot of devils games...the new stadium is nicer and closer to my house, but I miss being able to tailgate at the meadowlands...my favorite current players are elias, clarkson, parise and of course marty...my all time favorite has to probably be scott stevens or neidermeir...I got to meet the entire team three seasons ago (and skate with them...a friend of mine is a gold circle member and gave me his tickets) and so I have a red reebok practice jersey signed by the entire team...I was in a private box seat (right next door to the black hawks personel) the night that marty broke the wins record. I was wearing my black reebok practice jersey and got it signed by Driver (another blast from the past), who just so happened to make an appearance in our box...that was cool!!!

three years ago, they were playing against the flyers at the meadowlands and a puck got shot into the bench...they couldn't find it right away so they restarted with a new puck. Clemmer found the puck laying next to him a few minutes later and gave it to my son through the glass...what was really cool was the night we skated with the devils, my son got marty to sign the game puck...what a piece of memorabilia that is!!! a marty signed game puck...

The one thing that I can say is that all of the devils are gentlemen...they were really classy guys the night we skated with them...the best was probably madden...he was such a people person and was very respectful of the fans...a real personable guy...NEVER acted like he was being put out even when people mobbed him...the biggest dick was probably sergei brylin...he thought that his crap didn't stink...wasn't real friendly...

LOTS OF GOOD DEVILS MEMORIES!!!!

friarfan07
07-11-2009, 03:29 PM
^ awesome story. i'm jealous you got to skate with them. i'd love to see on the ice just how fast they are and how hard they shoot.

and i haven't forgotten. next season when i go to a devs game (i think this will become my annual tradition), i'm hitting up my homey mike from the heart of the dirty jerz!!!!

Jersey Mike
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
^ awesome story. i'm jealous you got to skate with them. i'd love to see on the ice just how fast they are and how hard they shoot.

and i haven't forgotten. next season when i go to a devs game (i think this will become my annual tradition), i'm hitting up my homey mike from the heart of the dirty jerz!!!!

no, don't get the wrong picture...I didn't skate with them like "play" with them...it was a meet and greet event...think more of freeskate night at your local ice rink. Still kinda cool to be on the game sheet with your favorite team though.

and hahaha...yes, we have a date...we'll see if you can't airlift me an Alberto's carne asada...hahaha...think of the things that you would like to see or do if you're gonna be in the area awhile...otherwise, I'll just take you on a barhopping trip down the shore and maybe end up with a little prime rib and shrimp cocktail at one of the better eateries here on the shore...good stuff

TheDetroitBlue
07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
That story makes me more sad to see madden go i watched a video on youtube where madden stood up to chara because he was picking on mogilny and I swear it seemed Chara didnt want to have anything to do with madden lol makes me happy to see a small guy like madden stand up to that huge man.

Jersey Mike
07-12-2009, 01:10 PM
That story makes me more sad to see madden go i watched a video on youtube where madden stood up to chara because he was picking on mogilny and I swear it seemed Chara didnt want to have anything to do with madden lol makes me happy to see a small guy like madden stand up to that huge man.

yeah, and clemmer too...not only was he a good backup, but a good goalie in general that we brought up through our system...he proved his worth for sure and to see him pick that puck up give it to my son kinda gave him more sentimental value to me...my son was a huge fan of his just because of that alone...then when he actually got to play it was really cool to see my son cheering for him even in our livingroom...

friarfan07
07-12-2009, 01:23 PM
no, don't get the wrong picture...I didn't skate with them like "play" with them...it was a meet and greet event...think more of freeskate night at your local ice rink. Still kinda cool to be on the game sheet with your favorite team though.

and hahaha...yes, we have a date...we'll see if you can't airlift me an Alberto's carne asada...hahaha...think of the things that you would like to see or do if you're gonna be in the area awhile...otherwise, I'll just take you on a barhopping trip down the shore and maybe end up with a little prime rib and shrimp cocktail at one of the better eateries here on the shore...good stuff

haha. i could seal some and let it marinate on the plane. lol.

yeah the shore is awesome. can't wait to get back there next season. that's still cool you got to be on the ice with them. i'd be impressed to see how easy moving on the ice is for them without all the equipment they normally have to wear. they're probably like a team of brian boitanos out there. hahahaha.

Freekshow187187
07-18-2009, 04:07 AM
whats up been a devils fan for awhile and my greatest moment was at a game in 02 dont have the greatest memory believe against the lightning it was a commercial break but stevens was talking to brodeur then was skating around since the faceoff was in the defensive zone and i scream out stevens **** someone up and he look at me through the glass smirk and tapped the boards with his stick two times probaly my greatest moment ever. my favorite player was gionta but now former but fav thing bout him was when we play chara ottawa or boston gionta would always start with him i thought which made him great cause he will battle anyone no matter what. i obvious like stevens brodeur holik arnott as former players. favorite current player i always love patty but my fav player is parise just cause i love how badly he wants to win and how he battles.

blueman2424
07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone...

So I've been a Devils fan since February of 1999. They were having "Church Devils Night" at Continental Airlines Arena and by chance my pastor decided to go. My mom and I went (as I was only 12 at the time), and LOVED it. It was the first hockey game I'd seen in person or on TV. We watched the Devils beat the Hurricanes 6-4. I still remember not knowing how many periods there were, explaining to my mom that the 'Canes were in red (as they used to be for road games), and being amazed at how loud it got when the home team scored.

Since then I've been to a few more games, and the new arena twice (most recently in March against the Coyotes). Unfortunately, though I'm from New Jersey, I lived in Lancaster, PA for college and now I live in Philadelphia, so not only do I not get to see them on TV much, I also have to listen to Flyers fans. Thus explains how much I enjoy this outlet, and also why I'll be asking throughout the season, "What did it look like?"

One more thing: I used to go to West Orange to see the Devils practice when they were still at South Mountain Arena. That was always fun - one year I got just about every player's autograph as they left the parking lot. Great group of guys.

friarfan07
07-18-2009, 02:01 PM
^ cool story. welcome, freekshow and blueman (that sounds like two people from wu tang or something. lol). :)

Sportscenterman
07-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey fellow devils fans! I'm the guy who was writing the thread after about every game for a month or two which I plan to conitnue this year as much as I can, I'm currently a senior in high school and make about 60% of the games at the rock. I've loved the Devils for a long time since I began going to games with my neighbor years ago. I continue to love the Devils even after offseasons such as this one where all our players seem to be gone because somehow Lou pulls the team out of if clean. My favorite moment was I guess this year on St Patty's day seeing Marty earn greatness. I hope that If I continue to write after everygame this season I can achieve more readers as I may want to pursue sports writing in my future.

My fave devils are MB30, Gionta(before he decided to be a ****), let that be any explecitive you want. Elias and Parise are the other faves.
I'm from the heart and soul of New Jersey that is Bergen County, so waddup devils fans!

TheDetroitBlue
07-20-2009, 01:30 AM
LOL just noticed we have the same picture in our sigs but yours is much fancier lol

friarfan07
07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
welcome, SCman. that was awesome that you made those threads for so long last season! i was impressed for sure. so cool you get to go to so many dev games. if i lived there, i'm sure i'd do the same. i loved the arena so much.

p.s. both your sigs rock, so all good. :up:

Nascar-NJDevils
07-22-2009, 02:02 PM
i even flew out this year to watch us beat the sharks 6-5 back in february. the new arena was amazing, and the atmosphere electric.

I was at that game too. What an awesome back and forth game that was.

I am from central Jersey and have been a Devils fan since day one but was originally an Islanders fan(so I really have a hatred for the Rangers and the Flyers) until the late 80's when my favorite player of all time Mike Bossy called it quits with his back problems.

My favorite Devils of all time are the usual suspects like Marty, Scotty, Dano, Langs, Zach,Travis but also loved guys like Tommy Kurvers, Troy Crowder, Randy McKay, Cam Janssen, Chico, Chris Terreri, Sean Burke(I think he was the original Savior of this team when he came up at the end of the 87-88 season and drove the team to with in on game of the Cup),Patrick Sundstrom, Mark Johnson, Joe Cirella,Bruce Driver,Captain Kirk Muller, Patty Verbeek.

friarfan07
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
^ nice man, welcome. that's funny you were at that game too. i almost didn't get in since every ticket was sold out. luckily we found a scalper at the last minute with seats in the upper deck, but in the season ticket holder section. those guys were awesome. we'd talk devils hockey and in between, they'd fight with the sharks fans. haha.

Nascar-NJDevils
07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
^ Here are some pics from that game:

Zach Parise
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/3283627096_3a56158c9b.jpg?v=0

Zach and Devils bench
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3471/3283626584_d6ea3fb3b9.jpg?v=0

Chico
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/3283625566_fa711aa2b9.jpg?v=0

They'll have to replace two of these jersey
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/3283664252_fbf1189db5.jpg?v=0

A lil' scuffle by the Shark's net
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3282702467_9ae983a6c2.jpg?v=1234754949

Ex-Devil Claude Lemieux
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/3283662200_8c6e7213d2.jpg?v=0

The Cup banners
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3283664782_4b853db28e.jpg?v=0

Dano and Steven's retired jerseys
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3568/3282845981_66fed5a1df.jpg?v=0

My buddy Ricky and his old skool Steve Weekes Hartford Whalers jersey
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3282846917_86f4fc5896.jpg?v=1234753572

Me wearing my Jeff Hanson(one of the Hanson brothers in the movie SLAPSHOT) Charlestown Chiefs jersey next to the big Devil's puck that was signed by fans that were at the first ever game at The Rock
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/3282847505_10d160649c.jpg?v=0

Goooooooooooooal!!!!!!! Devils score!!!!!!!!!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3498/3283523762_1bfe819a77.jpg?v=0

Final score : Devils 6 Sharks 5
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3282700353_03248012ea.jpg?v=0

Sportscenterman
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
LOL just noticed we have the same picture in our sigs but yours is much fancier lol

It's a great picture of Clarkie

friarfan07
07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
thanks for posting those, nascar. brought back some good memories.

man where were your seats, on top of the goal? lol. so close. but even in the upper deck, the view of the action was fine. it's a really great arena. i couldn't get over the food variety they had. it was better than most baseball stadiums i've been to, which is saying something considering the average attendance at a baseball game compared to that of hockey.