PDA

View Full Version : Shaq on Courtney Lee

Highlight
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
On the Dan Patrick Show, Shaquille O'Neal said that he was shocked when Orlando traded away Courtney Lee.
"The only move that really, really shocked me was when Orlando got rid of Courtney Lee," said Shaq. "They’ve done in an excellent job building that team but Courtney Lee, that’s a star brother. Star, star, star." That's high praise from the "Big Quotable", but the one that ultimately needs impressing is coach Lawrence Frank.

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/07/10/shaq-i-expect-to-be-in-the-finals/

JWO35
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree with Shaq, this will turn out to be the Harris-Kidd Trade 2.0

DamnGoat
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Courtney Lee is a star?

I'm curious how Shaq came to that conclusion. I think Lee will be a nice, solid NBA player, but star? I doubt it.

njnets
07-10-2009, 02:46 PM

i hope your right man, then we have another good young player to build around.

MTone8788
07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Courtney Lee is a star?

I'm curious how Shaq came to that conclusion. I think Lee will be a nice, solid NBA player, but star? I doubt it.

If you go to the link, Shaq says "that dude is going to be a star", different from what Highlight quoted...

But, Courtney Lee is nice, he should be very good in the near future.

ctitus45
07-10-2009, 02:52 PM
A Devin Harris/Courtney Lee backcourt has great potential. It could compete with the best in 2 years.

ManRam
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Hopefully he's wrong...

If he wasn't undersized, I'd be more likely to believe it. He is a great athlete, but doesn't have star talent. He'll be a solid pro, but not a star. Not even close. There's just not one thing he is amazing at. He's a good shooter, a good defender (great if he was 6-7, 230, not 6-5 (on a good day), 200), and that's about it. Doesn't pass well. Doesn't rebound...etc.

I may be totally biased, but I think Lee for Anderson is a complete wash in the first place, let alone getting Vince. No way that trade becomes "Harris for Kidd 2.0".

PJAF
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't listen seriously to one thing Shaq says.

Ace33Bone
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I highly doubt he will be a star i have to disagree wit the "big _______ fill in the blank" on this one give me an old Vince Carter over Courtney Lee any day of the week

Jay22Redd
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Courtney Lee is going to be a really good player and I can see why Shaq said what he did.

LA_Raiders
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
From Shaq...lol

KaganRS
07-10-2009, 03:12 PM
how are any of your predictions better than Shaqs? i'd like to know since he plays in the NBA ....

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Courtney Lee is gonna be a beast, he played better than most rookies in the L. He accepted his role and filled it perfectly. Him and Devin Harris are gonna be a *Great* duo.

J-Relo
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
he is actually right, Lee has the potential, superstar potential - not really, star - yes, if he continues to work hard... he is rookie but already is known for his defence and that he can knock down those shots, he is fast, can get inside, not a great passer, but he is a rookie!... so he will improve...

MagicBucsSox
07-10-2009, 03:15 PM
shaq also use to say dwight is gonna great."he's the next one" now he treats dwight like he's cherokee parks. Lee 's done nothing imo for all this "he's a star"hype. he suck at finishing drives,refuses to dunk.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I believe he will be a star too, but i thought this way before shaq mentioned it. Just by the way he plays i see him being a very good player. You can tell he has so much confidence in his game by his fearlessness driving into the lane and not afraid in taking a clutch shot. And were would any star player be without confidence?

Confidence is the reason JJ reddick is not the same player as he was in college and the same thing goes to adam morrison. Those players as well as all the other busts, are not as good because they lost all their confidence when they got into the nba. And no one disagrees with me that lee has a lot of confidence right?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Hopefully he's wrong...

If he wasn't undersized, I'd be more likely to believe it. He is a great athlete, but doesn't have star talent. He'll be a solid pro, but not a star. Not even close. There's just not one thing he is amazing at. He's a good shooter, a good defender (great if he was 6-7, 230, not 6-5 (on a good day), 200), and that's about it. Doesn't pass well. Doesn't rebound...etc.

I may be totally biased, but I think Lee for Anderson is a complete wash in the first place, let alone getting Vince. No way that trade becomes "Harris for Kidd 2.0".

since when is 6'5" undersized at the 2 pos.?

MagicBucsSox
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
stars are wade,kobe lbj you know the names.
i dont lee will be brushing shoulders with those guys. i think he'll be deceit but a star? stars are franchise guys,ticket sellers. lee isnt even better than an eric gordon

Trouble87
07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I agree.... dude is a legit scorer, tough as nails, and he plays hard

Nets now have a amazing young core

architect13563
07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
i think lee for anderson was pretty fair...

ManRam
07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
since when is 6'5" undersized at the 2 pos.?

He's scrawny. He's not a tough player. He is a good defender, but bigger SGs had field days vs. him. He would be a shut down defender if he was a little bigger, not necessarily taller...just bigger. He supposedly measured 6 feet and 3.5 inches, and 190 pounds at one team workout, can't remember what team it was...I'll look for a source.

What one thing does Courtney do that can make him a star? He's already 24, he is just an average NBA shooter, he is a very poor ball handler, he isn't much of a slasher, and he isn't explosive. He will be a solid starter, but he doesn't have the skills, or body, to be a superstar. He has great fundamental skills, but he doesn't have superstar skills. I'm real made we lost him, because he is one of those players every team needs...but in no way shape or form does he has star potential.

J-Relo
07-10-2009, 03:38 PM
i dont lee will be brushing shoulders with those guys. i think he'll be deceit but a star? stars are franchise guys,ticket sellers. lee isnt even better than an eric gordon

those are superstars

king4day
07-10-2009, 03:41 PM

I don't think it'll hurt as bad just yet.
A couple years down the line (especially if they don't win a ring), then it'll hurt bad.

naztrack
07-10-2009, 03:44 PM
yea i agree, the nets got another steal for old washed up talent. there back court is set for years.

cowboyz180
07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
lee has great potential, and i can see him making the all-star game a couple times during his career.

chuckdaily85
07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
First off Lebron, Kobe, Wade and guys of that caliber are not stars they are superstars. Stars are names like Richard Jefferson, Michael Redd, Lamarcus Aldridge and I believe Courtney Lee can be that good.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Those are superstars. Stars are devin harris, joe johnson, danny granger, mo williams, caron butler, etc.

raptors_fanatic
07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
A Devin Harris/Courtney Lee backcourt has great potential. It could compete with the best in 2 years.

y'got that right! along w/ one of the better/future centers of this league, brook lopez.......thats a scary core for the opposition, one or two forwards away from being stacked in 2-3 years

ManRam
07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
People forget Ryan Anderson was involved in this deal. First off, he was drafted ahead of Lee. Secondly, he is 6-10, something we need more than a SG. Thirdly, he's 3 years younger.

Anderson didn't get the minutes Lee did, but in 20 minutes a game, he averaged 7.4 points, 4.7 rebounds, on 40% shooting (not good), and 37% from three. His PER was 13.63 compared to Lee's 10.78. Lee averaged 8.4 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists on 45% shooting, 40%from three in 25 minutes. Given consistent playing time, he can put up some good numbers. He's tearing up the Orlando Pro Summer League, and is a first team lock for that league.

Battie and Alston aren't big losses at all. This trade is not ever going to be bad for the Magic. Lee will become a good player, not a star. Anderson has just as much upside...let alone getting Vince.

mrjames7
07-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Do you realize this guy was a rookie last year and came back from a late season playoff broken face. I believe he will be something special. It took Jameer Nelson about 3 years to come into his own. This guy will learn to do the things he's lacking at now but he will be something special. They are not too many rookies that play the way he has played.

QUOTE=ManRamForPrez24;10092413]Hopefully he's wrong...

I may be totally biased, but I think Lee for Anderson is a complete wash in the first place, let alone getting Vince. No way that trade becomes "Harris for Kidd 2.0".[/QUOTE]

Alwaysballin247
07-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I am big on courtney lee as well I think he is going to end up being a very good player in this league but never a number 1 guy on a team but a nice number 2 or 3...the nets have a bright future if they can bring in a star next season since they have so mnay young great players

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
He's scrawny. He's not a tough player. He is a good defender, but bigger SGs had field days vs. him. He would be a shut down defender if he was a little bigger, not necessarily taller...just bigger. He supposedly measured 6 feet and 3.5 inches, and 190 pounds at one team workout, can't remember what team it was...I'll look for a source.

What one thing does Courtney do that can make him a star? He's already 24, he is just an average NBA shooter, he is a very poor ball handler, he isn't much of a slasher, and he isn't explosive. He will be a solid starter, but he doesn't have the skills, or body, to be a superstar. He has great fundamental skills, but he doesn't have superstar skills. I'm real made we lost him, because he is one of those players every team needs...but in no way shape or form does he has star potential.

I'm not gonna argue any of your points except for his body type... He's only a rookie... Remember when Bron and Melo and Wade were all rookies, and how skinny they were?? now look at them.

AI4MVP
07-10-2009, 05:57 PM
i love how you guys are like "no hes just going to be a solid role player."

HES ALEADY A MORE THEN SOLID ROLE PLAYER AND HES ONLY A ROOKIE!! hes only gong to get better. watch

the big fellas right

the nets gota good future ahead of them

TYoung21
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Hopefully he's wrong...

jesus 2 more inches and 30 pounds?

JM09
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't listen seriously to one thing Shaq says.

I dont either partnah

Carey
07-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Yea i think Lee has the chance to be really good, you but him with Devin Harris, Terrance Williams can play the 3 and you have Brook Lopez at the 5, thats a really good start

dodie53
07-10-2009, 09:46 PM
ok shaq..

Chest Rockwell
07-10-2009, 09:49 PM
The Big Quotable? Can they give this guy any more nick names. Anyways, I do like Lee. He does have star potential but it's not Harris-Kidd trade 2.0.

GSW fan
07-10-2009, 09:50 PM

:nod:

AsiandudePH
07-10-2009, 09:55 PM
i love how you guys are like "no hes just going to be a solid role player."

HES ALEADY A MORE THEN SOLID ROLE PLAYER AND HES ONLY A ROOKIE!! hes only gong to get better. watch

the big fellas right

the nets gota good future ahead of them

Right with you. I think he did his job well all season despite of him only being a rookie. He's young and gonna learn more and will only get better, especially--and hopefully--with more action on the court, yeah, more than he got from the Magic though he started there.

dee279
07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Courtney Lee is a star?

Since shaq actually played against Courtney Lee, i think his opinion means more then yours.

dee279
07-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Just his rookie season he did really well. He pretty much killed expectations which were not that high. IN the playoffs, he shot really well. And yeah like i said, he did all what he did his rookie year. He looked like a veteran on the court, during the regular season and even more so in the playoffs. Shooting wise, he was more consistent then the beloved Hedo in the playoffs..

cav_till_i_die
07-11-2009, 01:54 AM
i was suprided as well, lee was a nice future piece... plus on another note they have a real conventional lineup tat teams can matchup against.... 08-09 lineup was scary

sportscrazy34
07-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Since shaq actually played against Courtney Lee, i think his opinion means more then yours.

At the same time its shaq talking bout the magic. If they had turned this down shaq probally would have gone off about how dumb the magic were for turning down vc because they wouldn't trade lee.

dee279
07-11-2009, 02:17 AM
At the same time its shaq talking bout the magic. If they had turned this down shaq probally would have gone off about how dumb the magic were for turning down vc because they wouldn't trade lee.

And you know that because?

JordanPippen
07-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Hopefully he's wrong...

how are you not 6-5 on a bad day?

zambo4president
07-11-2009, 02:56 AM
I really really like Lee`s game and i was surprised when they dealt him, bad move IMO.

bogdanrom
07-11-2009, 03:11 AM
I don't know. I'm torn with Lee. Sometimes he shows flashes of an amazing athlete and player, but other times he looks like a bum. IMO I have no idea how he is going to turn up.

S.J.Basketball
07-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Shaq is so full of himself. Nothing Shaq says can be taken seriously. He disses Howard like crazy and then calls Lee a star. Ridiculous. I like Lee, but he's not a star. I think he'll be a Rip Hamilton type player. Cutter/slasher and shooter.

shooterone
07-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Some how I kinda have a feeling that Shaq may know a little more about the game then.................say anyone on psd. If a future HOF'r says a guy is going to be a star who the hell are any of you to disagree. None of you are NBA'rs, none of you are scouts obviously the most dominant big man in the game since the dipper say's he's a star then you know what, im going to watch this kid become a star. Im sick and tired of hearing so much couch potato B.S. from alot of people on here second guessin their gm's and thinking they know the best fit for "their" teams, these gm's get paid alot......alot of damn money to do whats best for their team, as a Raptor fan am I going to second guess Colangelo's decisions ummmmmm how about no, I have a feeling he's a little more "in the loop" then lets say...........everyone. I know there are a lot of opinions out there we're all entitled to them but lets start the debates with imo's and not discrediting a future HOF'r and well really anyone who plays professional basketball, hell Shaq's been in the league for what 16 years?????? correct me if im wrong forget what year Orlando drafted him......bottom line is the guy has seen alot of so called stars come and go, I think he deserves a voice.

NotSoClutch
07-11-2009, 03:25 AM
New Jersey likes face masks, first luscious harris, now courtney lee.

bogdanrom
07-11-2009, 03:28 AM
Some how I kinda have a feeling that Shaq may know a little more about the game then.................say anyone on psd. If a future HOF'r says a guy is going to be a star who the hell are any of you to disagree. None of you are NBA'rs, none of you are scouts obviously the most dominant big man in the game since the dipper say's he's a star then you know what, im going to watch this kid become a star. Im sick and tired of hearing so much couch potato B.S. from alot of people on here second guessin their gm's and thinking they know the best fit for "their" teams, these gm's get paid alot......alot of damn money to do whats best for their team, as a Raptor fan am I going to second guess Colangelo's decisions ummmmmm how about no, I have a feeling he's a little more "in the loop" then lets say...........everyone. I know there are a lot of opinions out there we're all entitled to them but lets start the debates with imo's and not discrediting a future HOF'r and well really anyone who plays professional basketball, hell Shaq's been in the league for what 16 years?????? correct me if im wrong forget what year Orlando drafted him......bottom line is the guy has seen alot of so called stars come and go, I think he deserves a voice.

If it was another superstar I would have taken him more serious but this is Shaq, who always says the stupidest and craziest things. BTW Shaq also said that Dwight Howard sucked, he also said some stuff about Bosh.
Does he deserve a voice? Sure. Should we believe? No

S.J.Basketball
07-11-2009, 03:35 AM

So you think him being physically gifted as the most beastly center of all time somehow gives him brains? Your entire rant is fail. You don't even stay on topic. You're making the argument that we should never question a GM's move and should hang on every players words....no matter how stupid they are. LoL absolute Fail....

If you've seen and heard Shaq's "voice" over the years you'd know he's full of bull crap. End of story.

Tommyh1331
07-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Shaqs talking...snor

bumblebee
07-11-2009, 03:56 AM
courtney lee is going to be a superstar! you gys gotta understand that last year was his rookie year! he has more to come! theres many great players drafted in the second round that are superstars! rashard lewis, michael redd, manu ginobli, carlos boozer, and gilbert arenas! these players were nowhere near courtney lee's stats.. courtney lee still has years to grow give him a chance. you guys were probably saying the same thing about rashard and them guys but look at them now. SUPERSTAR! ok well some are stars but you get the point lol courtney lee can and will be a superstar!

J-Relo
07-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Shaq is so full of himself. Nothing Shaq says can be taken seriously. He disses Howard like crazy and then calls Lee a star. Ridiculous. I like Lee, but he's not a star. I think he'll be a Rip Hamilton type player. Cutter/slasher and shooter.

He said he is gonna be a star! (just like Rip)

no1baller
07-11-2009, 11:32 AM

yup another rape for nj :clap: