PDA

View Full Version : Clearing the air about AI he deserves some respect.

Hoopsadvocate
07-09-2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=c1d9155a-b3ad-42a7-be91-e4da1e866c41&src=front

Saw it and more importantly listened to it and had to post it. Hes not the jerk everyone makes him out to be sometimes.

"Don't nobody care about what Allen iverson does for the community the story is when Allen iverson does something that they think is wrong, thats the big story thats what everyone wanna read as bad as that is thats the real world."

"Know that no matter what u do how good u do how many peoples lives u touch how many good things you do people are still gonna throw shots at you... and id be lying if i said those things didnt hurt, they still hurt"

"Knowing a i had an impact on there life... that means everything to me"

I for one see him in a new light after watching this. He's also right only his bad publicity seems to get shown never any of the good he does allen iversons a damn good human being thought people deserve to see this.

ko8e24
07-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Look, i love AI, but dude has got to get over his ego. its just too much. 13 yrs of not winning crap, and still intent on making the dough and starting, even if it means he signing with a crappy team. He has failed to understand he winning apect of the game.

but all in all, i have never, to this day, questioned his character. If u got good character, ur good in my books.

pd7631
07-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Thank you.

PBG
07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
People just like to hear the negative stuff about others.

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 12:04 AM
He does deserve respect for his game. No doubt. But he deserves nothing for his attitude and cockiness.

simpsona
07-10-2009, 03:02 AM
I think he'll eventually start to get it. Its got to be hard for him right now. He's used to (his whole life) being the man on his team. Every team that he has probably ever played on up until recently, and even that is debatable, he has been the best player. Its weird territory for him and he just has to get used to it. Maybe he never will, but I always like to give players the benefit of the doubt. By the way, this is tough for me in this situation, because I'm a die hard Detroit fan.

superkegger
07-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Spin it however you want it, but Iverson has the bad boy / "gangsta" image for a reason, and for years early on in his career, he did little to quell it, because it was marketable and profitable. You made your bed, lie in it.

DuncanF91
07-10-2009, 08:01 AM
If Allen Iverson was a good team player and lacked an enormous ego, that's a big IF, he'd be an amazing 6th man. He isn't the dominating force he once was, but he's not a player to be relegated to the bench, either. He would be a great piece to a team looking to push for a championship. But the fact that he will complain about not starting and/or minutes, he could be detrimental to teams in some situations.

ttam68
07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Look, i love AI, but dude has got to get over his ego. its just too much. 13 yrs of not winning crap, and still intent on making the dough and starting, even if it means he signing with a crappy team. He has failed to understand he winning apect of the game.

but all in all, i have never, to this day, questioned his character. If u got good character, ur good in my books.

This is pretty well said. And on the court I agree about his character, but off the court I remember some issues. As a Philly fan, I recall domestic abuse headlines and some stuff like that.

Either way he needs to prove us all wrong about his ego and he's not doing it.

3RDASYSTEM
07-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Cockiness(really confidence jus the weak minded take out of context)+Attitude= SUPERSTAR

Go check thru history of league and on some level each player had a high dosage of both, JORDAN/MAGIC/BIRD and AI/SHAQ/DUNCAN/BRYANT and even earlier history, those are main ingredients along with heart... but that goes hand n hand with confidence/cockiness

Its like they take a 5 second clip of a 45 min player/media conference where a guy asks him a practice question after being eliminated from playoffs or something of that nature,WHO IN HELL WOULD WANNA ANSWER A DAMN PRACTICE ? AFTER BEING ELIMINATED FROM PLAYOFFS,thats why he was sayin "you dont wanna talk bout the game, u wanna ask me bout practice,not the game" and all u morons/media ran with the fact he doesnt like to practice but YOU NOTICE HOW THEY JUS SHOW THAT LIL 5 SECOND RANT and it goes off....Now i know alot of yall on here dont play ball but think about how frustrating that would be coming off playoff loss and gettin sent home til next season and then being asked something that maybe happened 3 months ago and not talk about wat just happened in the series/game or wateva....Least he didnt pull a Lebron and not show up for media ?s...wat would have been said then, its like yall worship the fake and throw dirt on the tru...And yall really know why everybody mad at him is cuz he hasnt slowed down at the pace they figure he would so he still has that fast gear,not that elite fast one anymore but top 5-10 in league easily and he can score buckets with the best and plays hard every nite+injured,give me those players everyday all day....Last time i checked BBALL is a team sport so how could he have won with those rosters in PHILLY, and a guys career is really built on its first 10 yrs and they failed miserably, everything they put around him outside of STACKHOUSE was on old and done - D.COLEMAN quit, VAN HORN(should i say anything), their GM sucked really bad in the 97/98 drafts and beyond those yrs, old man KUKOC was used up by CHI, old man G.ROBINSON couldnt even walk when he came to PHI, and imagine if he woulda got the C.WEBB of SAC TOWN and not the "on his last leg one"...i know L BROWN changes his mind like a woman but he saw both sides of AI so im going to take his words over the media...another thing yall dont seem to understand cuz you dont read his articles/quotes is hes saying in training camp lets compete for open spot and the best man wins, and he said we wont lose that battle,but yall morons/media keep saying he wont come off bench like hes being selfish but hes saying it as he wont lose his spot in open camp competiton ...This forum needs to be broken down in to two divisions....One is those who have played sports so "we" former/current players of the sports field can have a good quality chat and then one for those who just watch/listen to media/friends for their insight, then it would be easier to talk without all the confusion and clutter...Its so easier to get respect when you have actually been in the fire or had xperience then just watching and saying i've been watching this for yrs i know wats going on...you have no clue thats why all i hear is hes a BALLHOG(4 scoring titles),NO DEFENSE(mutiple steals titles),NOT A LEADER(E.SNOW was vocal one,AI led by his play like many other so called great leaders), Its almost like his resume is so stacked(which it is) and he is so talented we are mad at him for not having a couple rings, so i somewat understand the frustrations with one of the greatest talents to ever touch the hardwood...Think about the game of sports and how much respect/luv you get from fans/peers when you play injured let alone mutiple injuries,thats why i listen to any tru PHILLY fan speak on him cuz he was their with them thick n thin thru his early prime and they damn near marvel the dude under 6 ft, hes in his 2nd prime now and he recently jus said he has real bad shoulder pain...HE SAID ITS A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER and if yall think hes finished,im takin all bets...Its like LEBRON didnt have enough help, couple yrs back KOBE didnt have enough help, WADE didnt have enough help...but all the time AI in PHILLY not one of nobody ever said AI dont have enough help,it was always "with AI on the court PHILLY has a chance"...So AI is the only person in the history of team sports to be summoned to win rings by himself, despite his roster/GM situation...maybe he shoulda pulled a KOBE and threw his teammates/GM under the bus, but he built more thorough than that,cut from a different cloth

Raoul Duke
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM
He was a great player a few years ago, but now father time has caught up to him and the mental side of his game never measured up to the physical side.

Your typical great players always reach a point at which they've peaked out physically, but their understanding of the game continues to deepen and they learn how to win by out thinking the other guy. That never happened for Iverson, and now that he's lost a step, we've all see that it was that one step that made him what he was. He's 34 now, so I can't say I have much hope that he'll ever "get it".

PapelbonLester
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
He was a great player a few years ago, but now father time has caught up to him and the mental side of his game never measured up to the physical side.

Your typical great players always reach a point at which they've peaked out physically, but their understanding of the game continues to deepen and they learn how to win by out thinking the other guy. That never happened for Iverson, and now that he's lost a step, we've all see that it was that one step that made him what he was. He's 34 now, so I can't say I have much hope that he'll ever "get it".

He was top 5 in points top 10 in assists 2 years ago.....respect him or kill urself

masalex1205
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
no respect to anyone who quits on their team

Cavsalltheway
07-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Cockiness(really confidence jus the weak minded take out of context)+Attitude= SUPERSTAR

Go check thru history of league and on some level each player had a high dosage of both, JORDAN/MAGIC/BIRD and AI/SHAQ/DUNCAN/BRYANT and even earlier history, those are main ingredients along with heart... but that goes hand n hand with confidence/cockiness

Its like they take a 5 second clip of a 45 min player/media conference where a guy asks him a practice question after being eliminated from playoffs or something of that nature,WHO IN HELL WOULD WANNA ANSWER A DAMN PRACTICE ? AFTER BEING ELIMINATED FROM PLAYOFFS,thats why he was sayin "you dont wanna talk bout the game, u wanna ask me bout practice,not the game" and all u morons/media ran with the fact he doesnt like to practice but YOU NOTICE HOW THEY JUS SHOW THAT LIL 5 SECOND RANT and it goes off....Now i know alot of yall on here dont play ball but think about how frustrating that would be coming off playoff loss and gettin sent home til next season and then being asked something that maybe happened 3 months ago and not talk about wat just happened in the series/game or wateva....Least he didnt pull a Lebron and not show up for media ?s...wat would have been said then, its like yall worship the fake and throw dirt on the tru...And yall really know why everybody mad at him is cuz he hasnt slowed down at the pace they figure he would so he still has that fast gear,not that elite fast one anymore but top 5-10 in league easily and he can score buckets with the best and plays hard every nite+injured,give me those players everyday all day....Last time i checked BBALL is a team sport so how could he have won with those rosters in PHILLY, and a guys career is really built on its first 10 yrs and they failed miserably, everything they put around him outside of STACKHOUSE was on old and done - D.COLEMAN quit, VAN HORN(should i say anything), their GM sucked really bad in the 97/98 drafts and beyond those yrs, old man KUKOC was used up by CHI, old man G.ROBINSON couldnt even walk when he came to PHI, and imagine if he woulda got the C.WEBB of SAC TOWN and not the "on his last leg one"...i know L BROWN changes his mind like a woman but he saw both sides of AI so im going to take his words over the media...another thing yall dont seem to understand cuz you dont read his articles/quotes is hes saying in training camp lets compete for open spot and the best man wins, and he said we wont lose that battle,but yall morons/media keep saying he wont come off bench like hes being selfish but hes saying it as he wont lose his spot in open camp competiton ...This forum needs to be broken down in to two divisions....One is those who have played sports so "we" former/current players of the sports field can have a good quality chat and then one for those who just watch/listen to media/friends for their insight, then it would be easier to talk without all the confusion and clutter...Its so easier to get respect when you have actually been in the fire or had xperience then just watching and saying i've been watching this for yrs i know wats going on...you have no clue thats why all i hear is hes a BALLHOG(4 scoring titles),NO DEFENSE(mutiple steals titles),NOT A LEADER(E.SNOW was vocal one,AI led by his play like many other so called great leaders), Its almost like his resume is so stacked(which it is) and he is so talented we are mad at him for not having a couple rings, so i somewat understand the frustrations with one of the greatest talents to ever touch the hardwood...Think about the game of sports and how much respect/luv you get from fans/peers when you play injured let alone mutiple injuries,thats why i listen to any tru PHILLY fan speak on him cuz he was their with them thick n thin thru his early prime and they damn near marvel the dude under 6 ft, hes in his 2nd prime now and he recently jus said he has real bad shoulder pain...HE SAID ITS A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER and if yall think hes finished,im takin all bets...Its like LEBRON didnt have enough help, couple yrs back KOBE didnt have enough help, WADE didnt have enough help...but all the time AI in PHILLY not one of nobody ever said AI dont have enough help,it was always "with AI on the court PHILLY has a chance"...So AI is the only person in the history of team sports to be summoned to win rings by himself, despite his roster/GM situation...maybe he shoulda pulled a KOBE and threw his teammates/GM under the bus, but he built more thorough than that,cut from a different cloth

Now this is very well said ...

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Hmmm I didn't read all of it, because you wrote so much, but mostly I agree with you, except for the fact that you said Duncan had a high level of cockiness and attitude.

JWO35
07-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I like Allen Iverson, but he needs to realize he isn't that young 20 something year old at the peak of his NBA Career.

LA_Raiders
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Another AI Thread? Come on, He was alright, but he is done now, he needs play from the bench and try to win the 6th man award....

Statik1
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Maybe if he would of played some team ball he would get some respect

fishedz
07-10-2009, 01:44 PM
So AI is a good guy at heart, doesn't mean he's a good player in a team situation.

Doesn't change the fact he tanked DET either. Hat's off to DEN for pulling off that trade....

PhillySixer
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
people need to stop bringing up his ego.. allen may not have won any championships or won the hearts of most of you guys... but pound for pound this kid is one of the greatest players ever to lace em up... ill always love allen.. come back to philly bro

Earmuffed1
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
i'm a kid from philly, well almost 30 now, but i was 14 when they drafted AI, I watched almost ever game he played for the sixers, at least 70% of them. NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE that watched him play night in and night out, has ever, could ever, of will ever say anything negative about him. This is a national story. Maybe people in Denver agree, maybe not because their minds were made up when they got there. He had a bad year last season because NO ONE in Detroit, players, wanted him there. He played within the system, and they lost. AI is a top 25 player of ALL-TIME, I've got him in the top 15, this is a 5-10 or 5-11 guy who has spend more than a decade DOMINATING a game played by giants. And he could still dominate an NBA game. If he is playing with a good team, that wants to play with him he will be successful. And all the negative people out there, need to go watch some games from philly, A LOT, and watch him work harder than everyone else on the court, and watch the awful players he lifted up to being pretty manageable.

3RDASYSTEM
07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Respondin to "BOGDANROM" about DUNCAN not being cocky/attitude but in recent yrs he has shown emotions in games/playoffs, cant keep it all bottled up for too long, but im glad you agreed with me on most of it, even the "silent baby face assassin" DUNCAN has that inner mean streak/attitude,trust me....every champ/great player has it...you dont think deep down DUNCAN thinks hes one of the top 2 PF of all time, of course he does...DUNCAN is just a quiet killer, but still a "killer"...hitman style,and we all know hitmen have attitude/cockiness

3RDASYSTEM
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Yo "CAVSALLTHEWAY" appreciate that homie, if u a CAVS fan that would be a formidable big 3 JAMES/SHAQ/AI...jus a thought cuz teams are loading up and the playoffs is all about rebounding and having those creator/playmakers who can do it for themselves and teammates in the trenches...only time will tell

THE MTL
07-10-2009, 03:12 PM
i'm a kid from philly, well almost 30 now, but i was 14 when they drafted AI, I watched almost ever game he played for the sixers, at least 70% of them. NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE that watched him play night in and night out, has ever, could ever, of will ever say anything negative about him. This is a national story. Maybe people in Denver agree, maybe not because their minds were made up when they got there. He had a bad year last season because NO ONE in Detroit, players, wanted him there. He played within the system, and they lost. AI is a top 25 player of ALL-TIME, I've got him in the top 15, this is a 5-10 or 5-11 guy who has spend more than a decade DOMINATING a game played by giants. And he could still dominate an NBA game. If he is playing with a good team, that wants to play with him he will be successful. And all the negative people out there, need to go watch some games from philly, A LOT, and watch him work harder than everyone else on the court, and watch the awful players he lifted up to being pretty manageable.

Thank YOU so much! Im a New York Knick fan, but Allen Iverson is my favorite player of all-time. His heart and determination is truly unmatched and I ABSOLUTELY HATE when people bash him. AI was Top 5 in scoring 2 seasons ago.

And even Detroit Pistons fans....know Allen Iverson heart. I read countless posts about how AI was the only one who still cared mid-season in Detroit.

Allen Iverson is a legend. And probi is the BEST LITTLE MAN to ever play the game of basketball.

KaganRS
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
nobody likes iverson anymore , quit crying about it ....get a new man crush

JabberJaw
07-10-2009, 03:44 PM
This whole bad attitude and cockiness crap is so ridiculous. It's called confidence. You don't see Iverson out there jawing with players like a JR Smith. The dude is always one of the smallest on the court and plays as hard and as physical as anyone that has ever played the game. That is not a characteristic of a selfish player with a bad attitude. Its the mark of a man who put his body on the line everytime he steps on the court. The whole "thug" thing was created by the media and people who want to tear a person down. He has tattoos and cornrows...wow, big deal. A.I. is who he is...and that is a future HOF'er and one of the greatest guards to play the game. People can say that he is a punk who hasn't won a title or whatever they can to try to make him sound like some guy that is just in it for himself, but there are a ton of greats who never won a title. Who knows what kind of offer there is on the table for AI? Most of the championship contending teams are set at the lead guard spot. AI should be applauded for what he has accomplished and not put down because of his look or cockiness/confidence. The greatest players have always been cocky/confident...You think Jordan or Kobe are any less confident/cocky than AI? Not even close. The b/s has to stop. Give the man his praise as he will be missed when he is no longer in the league. There are so many haters out there with so little to do but hate...

JabberJaw
07-10-2009, 03:54 PM
So AI is a good guy at heart, doesn't mean he's a good player in a team situation.

Doesn't change the fact he tanked DET either. Hat's off to DEN for pulling off that trade....

He tanked Detroit? LMAO! I'm sure he is the one that traded himself to Detroit. When Detroit QUIT he was still out there hustling. Denver just got the best of the deal, as Billups is the PG that Denver needed. WHen the trade went down I don't think anybody thought that would be a successful fit. It's more like Detroit put him in a bad situation and he never fit in.

AI is the only reason the Sixers were relevent for so long. He single-handedly took them to the finals. He made them a contender year in and year out. Now that he struggles with a team that wasn't going anywhere but down he is all of a sudden some scrub? Come on dude. Detroit was getting older by the second and lost its identity. Now they are gearing up for the 2010 sweepstakes. It's not too hard too see that

Raoul Duke
07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
When Detroit QUIT he was still out there hustling.

No, actually he quit on us as soon as he was asked to come off the bench. He decided he'd rather not play at all.

And he made over 20 million last season.

I WANT CHAUNCEY BACK GODDAMMIT I'M BITTER!!!!!!!!

IversonIsKrazy
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Iverson is one of the greatest players of all-time. When some superstars "ball-hogg" then tend to take contested jump shots, when AI "ball-hogged" what did he do... drive into the lane and get to the free-throw line. He avged 27/7/2 on a 50 win team 2 years ago, he took the hearts from Philly fans, something Dr. J never even did. I hope Andre leaves Philly and AI just goes back there, somewere hes appreciated. Its just sad to c how 1 bad year in the NBA can ruin u. AI is pound-from-pound the greatest player in NBA History. 3rd in all-time PPG, 5th in all-time Steals, a former MVP, took an untalented Philly team to the finals, 10 time all-star, he is a Top 25 of ALL-TIME.

He gave Denver what they thought they were going to get, a 50 win team, but Denver never realized that every1 else was going to be a 50 win team as well.

I want AI back in Philly...