PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Bandwagon Players.

MPScribbles
07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Am I the only one that is sick of watching good players go to already championship caliber teams? McDyess, Rasheed, Artest have all done it this offseason and there have been plenty others. Gary Payton and Karl Malone did it together, and it ended up messing up the Lakers LOL. I understand that as players get older and have been rich for years-so they aren't just looking for big paychecks- they may prefer playing on good teams that can compete but as a player I would still rather go to a team that was good but not among the elite. I would prefer to improve the team to which I signed to the point that we join the conversation for best teams in the league instead of discount myself and ride the coat tails of an already established championship contender.

How about you guys?

abe_froman
07-09-2009, 06:26 PM
no i di do not agree,most of these guys spend years on teams that arent and the gm/owner dont live up to their responsibility to surround them with talent(how it usually is),so if they wont put a championship caliber team around me why shouldnt i go to one?

tland22
07-09-2009, 06:31 PM
its pretty annoying... i agree. The NBA is sad in that respect. An excruciatingly TOP-HEAVY league...this thing that they call a "league"

Afridi786
07-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I hate it more when players demand to get bought out and than go to contenders for the minimum.

Teeboy1487
07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
So what. Those players can do what they want. They are grown men making millions of dollars. I completely disagree with you. If those players can help the team, then I won't consider them bandwagon players. Also, they are "free agents" for a reason meaning they can go to any team they want. If you don't like it, don't watch.

ManRam
07-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. If a championship caliber team wants your services, why not go there? You want all these guys to go to bad teams?? C'mon.

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
I think it is ok for players to go to championship caliber teams when they are older... especially if they havent won a championship yet.

MiamiHeat
07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
so when a player picks the offer with the most money, people say that he doesn't want to win and cares about the money, but when the player takes less just to get a good chance at winning a championship, people hate them because they are a "bandwagon" player so is a lose lose situation.... :confused:

abe_froman
07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. If a championship caliber team wants your services, why not go there? You want all these guys to go to bad teams?? C'mon.

maybe he's afraid his team's star will do that,or he just did :shrug:

AntiG
07-09-2009, 06:50 PM
far better than having an entire league full of mediocre franchises.

what the league needs to do is downsize a bit. there are too many teams right now and not enough top level talent so you either have a bunch of mediocre teams or some elite teams and some really bad ones.

Reyes6
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I would LOVE to see some of these FA's sign with teams like Memphis or OKC, but they want a title, and who's to blame them. That's why you play the game. But when Alonzo refused to play for Toronto that was real ******** up.

ronaldsmith_86
07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Personally I would go to the team where i think i can get a ring. SIMPLE AS THAT!

shonk688
07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I was glade when Reggie Miller didn't sign with the Celtics.

artest_kobe
07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
this forum is so stupid...

MPScribbles
07-09-2009, 07:04 PM

No. The only player my team has lost is Ben Gordon, which is absolutely okay with me because I was hoping that he would go. Also, he didn't jump ship to go to a contender. He went to Detroit who is due to suck for quite some time, based on their current roster. I say what I say because it makes the league less interesting overall. People are always saying that the season doesn't matter and all that matters is the playoffs. Well, when you have like 5-8 stacked teams in each conference people with that opinion have a better argument. It's kinda like the Patriots in football. Each time that they get yet another slightly past his prime, good player it makes the league less interesting because that player could have gone to a team that is just on the cusp of competing for a title but is now that much further away due to the fact that top free agents continue to go to top teams instead of helping that 2nd tier team to get among the top tier teams. See what I'm saying?

X12Celtics3
07-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah, the fact that players try to sign with teams that don't suck is soooo unimaginably stupid, I wonder what they are thinking? I mean, if I had the choice I would [B]much[B] rather sign with the Grizzlies than the Celtics...

/sarcasm (just for the one or two stupid people who will be able to read this without realizing that I'm not being serious...)

MPScribbles
07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
this forum is so stupid...

Then stay the **** out of it! Seriously, why do people waste their time posting when they have nothing to say. You don't like what I have to say? Well as Jay Z once said- Fine, it costs you nothing, pay me no mind. Stop trying to pad your posts number. You'll get your, most likely, lame *** sig soon enough.

BlinkManJan02
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
i would do the same thing, nothing wrong with wanting to win a championship. it's nice to see players take less money in that case. to them winning is more important than money, which is nice to see.

MPScribbles
07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
so when a player picks the offer with the most money, people say that he doesn't want to win and cares about the money, but when the player takes less just to get a good chance at winning a championship, people hate them because they are a "bandwagon" player so is a lose lose situation.... :confused:

Catch 22, I know. I guess I would just prefer if these guys would get fair market value for their services from a team that actually needs a lift to get to that next level. The way it has been going for the past several years is that the best teams get better by guys selling out to win championships. I don't blame a guy for wanting to win, I just think that it cheapens the win when you joined the team after they were already a championship-level team.

slipcid
07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
im glad john stockton played only for the jazz.

KnicksorBust
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM

lol you beat me to it. I guess everyone should just be trying to sign with the Kings for $5 million less than they deserve.

junion
07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
there's a salary cap to prevent the richest cities from getting all the best players. i'm sure most of the players would go to the best teams, but by implementing the salary cap, it makes people decide between a possible championship vs an offer they can't refuse.

this makes it interesting because if there's a star player who is used to getting the big money and who wants to be on a contender, they most likely have to take a big pay cut and sacrifice that.

i dont have a problem because you can see veteran players who have made so much money, but haven't won a championship have some realization of what is the most important part of one's career - the championship.

when someone is new and comes into the league, more often than not, they want to go in and get the most money they can - and a lot of times that's the only option that they have because they have a family to support (maybe a kid or two, but mostly their brothers, sisters, and even parents, and cousins). They make a few millions, and their family's set.

the next possible step is the ego step. they got paid, and they're important to their team, and now they want more money - not because they need it, but because they use that to measure how good they are in the league and how much their team (or other teams) wants them. they think the amount of money is a direct indication of where they stand in the league.

then the winning step comes up. they made money, they know what they're worth, and now they just want to win. there is still some ego involved - they want to be the main guy or at least a starter to know that they can be a main part of a championship. they can give up some playing time and shot attempts, but just as long as they're a starter on any team, they're fine.

then comes the desperate step. they've been in the league for a good amount of time. they know they're good, but they still haven't been able to get it done. they give up everything: the huge salary, the starting role, the ego, and almost every part of the game. they would do anything to get the ring. that's when they join the established team. they have to take a back seat role to the (possibly) younger players. but they're willing to get it because they need that championship - because they feel like they achieved everything else they wanted in their career.

i dont see a problem with that. each player on the team still has to work their butts off, and it's not a "free ride". they have to give up money, their ego, and so many other things. it takes a lot inside a person to realize they cant do it unless they join a contender for less money.

LA_Raiders
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I hate it too, but if strong teams get stronger, Why should the Champs stay the same???

JUST WIN BB!!!

k08E24MVP
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Close thread

ko8e24
07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
This the 1st time in his career that Ron Artest is playing for a team conteding for the championship.

Bulls-won 15 games, then 17 games next season
Pacers-traded to this team, the furthest they made was the 04 ECF against Detroit
Kings-traded to this team,did not make to playoffs
Rockets-traded to this team, lost 2nd round to lakers

So this is really the first team ROn Ron has been a free agent and actually signed wih the team he's been dying to play for for the last 4 yrs.

Rasheed, after signing with Celts, has just entered the club of the ring chasers. The worthless McDyess has been doing this crap for basically the last 6 yrs of his career. (getting traded by one team, getting bought out, then signing back with the team that traded him. now, he just signed with another title contender in the spurs)

MPScribbles
07-09-2009, 07:46 PM
there's a salary cap to prevent the richest cities from getting all the best players. i'm sure most of the players would go to the best teams...

then comes the desperate step. they've been in the league for a good amount of time. they know they're good, but they still haven't been able to get it done. they give up everything: the huge salary, the starting role, the ego, and almost every part of the game. they would do anything to get the ring. that's when they join the established team. they have to take a back seat role to the (possibly) younger players. but they're willing to get it because they need that championship - because they feel like they achieved everything else they wanted in their career.

i dont see a problem with that. each player on the team still has to work their butts off, and it's not a "free ride". they have to give up money, their ego, and so many other things. it takes a lot inside a person to realize they cant do it unless they join a contender for less money.

Very well written, well thought-out and insightful post- in contrast to your previous post. You are right, for the most part, in your breakdown of the different stages in a player's career. This is a thread about opinion so obviously there is no wrong answer. It just rubs me the wrong way when guys reach that last stage you described. If you can't win a ring naturally then just hitch your wagon onto a championship team and let them do it for you. That ideology sickens me and it cheapens the game, IMO. Thank you, though, for having something to say to refute my opinion as opposed to just saying something like "stupid thread" or "close thread".

BTownTeamsRKing
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
living and cheering for Boston in every sport, id say i love when players join our championship teams.

cmellofan15
07-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Bandwagon players? Thats a load of ****! These players are settling for less money to do what every player dreams of, get a ring. To disprespect these players is absolutely ridiculous because basketball has turned into a business and it's all about money and they're setting a new unselfish trend, and I applaud them for it

Lakers4ItAll
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I hate it more when players demand to get bought out and than go to contenders for the minimum.

Me too! :mad:

lakers4sho
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Bandwagon players? Thats a load of ****! These players are settling for less money to do what every player dreams of, get a ring. To disprespect these players is absolutely ridiculous because basketball has turned into a business and it's all about money and they're setting a new unselfish trend, and I applaud them for it

:nod:

NYtilIdie
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
When players get old they realise that their opportunity to get a ring is shorter each day and most of them are set financially so they are willing to accept the MLE to live their dream and thats win a ring and they have to sign with a championship team to do that. Yeah elite teams get stronger it sucks cause it makes the league more predictable, but its part of sports.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a problem with players who get traded to a bad team and then ***** until they get bought out, but if a player is a free agent, key word being "free," he is free to sign with whoever he wants, so if he wants to win a ring, why shouldn't he be able to sign with a championship contender??

DCSportsIsPain
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Players like Karl Malone deserved a chance at a title. How long did he and Stockton play together without any other talent around them? 17 years? 18? It was something like that.
Winning the championship is why players play the game. Why should a player wallow in suckitude if he has a shot at a title elsewhere? He shouldn't.

KobeIs
07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
i hate it more when players demand to get bought out and than go to contenders for the minimum.

+1

no1baller
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
yes :D

BHBrad
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
This the 1st time in his career that Ron Artest is playing for a team conteding for the championship.

Pacers-traded to this team, the furthest they made was the 04 ECF against Detroit

So this is really the first team ROn Ron has been a free agent and actually signed wih the team he's been dying to play for for the last 4 yrs.

Rasheed, after signing with Celts, has just entered the club of the ring chasers. The worthless McDyess has been doing this crap for basically the last 6 yrs of his career. (getting traded by one team, getting bought out, then signing back with the team that traded him. now, he just signed with another title contender in the spurs)

That's a f***ing joke. The Pacers were legit contenders when they had Artest and if it hadn't been for Detroit's aquisition of Rasheed Wallace, the Pacers probably would've gone to the finals. ANd he cost them another shot when he ran into the stand at the Palace.

And no, it doesn't bother me when players sign elsewhere to win a title. But to go off on a tangent, what does bother me is when teams make huge deals during the season that completely changes the face of the league, like that Rasheed to Detroit trade. Of course, I'm admittedly biased in that regard.

ANd yes, it is nice to see players stay with one team their entire career. That's one reason I love Reggie Miller to the extent I do, and have a ton of respect for John Stockton.

shonk688
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Then stay the **** out of it! Seriously, why do people waste their time posting when they have nothing to say. You don't like what I have to say? Well as Jay Z once said- Fine, it costs you nothing, pay me no mind. Stop trying to pad your posts number. You'll get your, most likely, lame *** sig soon enough.

Yeah I cant stand it when people do that.

IDB Josh M
07-09-2009, 09:30 PM
ITs being bought out thats BS. Especially when they were traded, get bought out by the new team, and then go back to their old team.

To address the topic of the thread, I see nothing wrong with a star going to another team. There comes a time when the team you're with will not likely get a title, and you yourself are past your prime to build around. You realize, you're not the star, you need a star to ride their coattails on.

RaiderLakersA's
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Typical progression of the NBA player:

1. Survival. (The initial rookie contract. Very little choice of where you play.)

2. Status. (The big payday, usually via FA contracts. Money trumps team/location.)

3. Success. (Usually after you're paid and have made a name for yourself, you want a title that clearly puts you in rare company.)

4. Legacy. (You've done everything that you can possibly do in this league, and the only thing left is to close out your career in style. You may sign for a fat contract including a partnership stake, but more than likely you're playing simply for the love of the game.)

It's stupid for a player not to sign with a championship caliber team when the opportunity arises. Everyone tends to forget the psychology of the professional athlete. No one likes to lose or waste their prime years playing in a futile situation. No one wants to be at home as other players...some of whom you're clearly better than...are making victory parades. Adam Morrison, ladies and gents, has a championship ring. Are you telling me that isn't going to drive guys like Nash or Dirk or Amare or Artest or even LeBron batsh*t mad if they never get one? Where is Barkley when you need a little reality check?

uncleben989
07-09-2009, 10:50 PM

easy there cowboy

Kyle N.
07-09-2009, 10:54 PM
far better than having an entire league full of mediocre franchises.

what the league needs to do is downsize a bit. there are too many teams right now and not enough top level talent so you either have a bunch of mediocre teams or some elite teams and some really bad ones.

You seriously have got to be kidding.

Kyle N.
07-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Actually they did make it to the playoffs. But anyway, I agree, he and everybody else should be able to sign with who they want. If I was an NBA player, I would want to play for a winning team. It's just common sense.

Kobe4Life
07-09-2009, 11:04 PM
nice signature mp , people like you just show how good kobe is that your so scared of him you make a signature like that...booo hooo hahahahahhahaha hes coming #1! Best of all time 3 more rings to go ...chicago fans = :(

SlaterRaps
07-09-2009, 11:05 PM

agreed with that
if all the people this year signed with crappy teams for more money youd make one saying they are just in it for money and dont care about winning

kblo247
07-09-2009, 11:10 PM
You have to be a stupid SOB to say that the Laker lost because Malone messed them up.

The fact is that Malone got hurt in the Finals and they lost.

If anyone didn't hold up their end of the bargain look at Shaq and Payton.

Payton got torched by Parker and Fisher was charged with stopping him. Shaq wasn't dominant in any series as Kobe beat the Spurs, Wolves, and Rockets. Malone defended Yao, Duncan, and Garnett. The fact remains that Shaq got more touches in the Finals than in the whole playoffs and didn't deliver while Payton became Billup's *****.

The fact remains that LA could have won if Shaq didn't throw Horry under the bus and put the blame of losing to the Spurs on him missing 3s and Fisher not stopping Parker the year before. The problem couldn't have been that Shaq infamously went with the whole I got hurt on company time and I'll heal on company time plan could it?

With all that said, I see nothing wrong with players wanting to win. You play to be the best, and to not do that is an insult to the integrity of the sport IMO.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Actually they did make it to the playoffs. But anyway, I agree, he and everybody else should be able to sign with who they want. If I was an NBA player, I would want to play for a winning team. It's just common sense.

Bonzi screwed up that team and his career if I remember correctly by not accepting their offer

Kyle N.
07-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Bonzi screwed up that team and his career if I remember correctly by not accepting their offer

Yeah, I thought Bonzi was an idiot for it at the time for not taking the offer but then K-Mart took advantage of it and turned out better than Bonzi anyway. And that belt in your sig is actually pretty sick.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks about the belt.

I just remember Bonzi giving the Spurs hell on the inside.

Looking back on it, the Hornets missed Bonzi and the toughness he brings this year as well

MPScribbles
07-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I never said that players shouldn't be able to sign with whomever they wish. It is just my opinion that if they win a ring after signing with an already stacked team, or defending champions no less, then the ring that they win isn't as legit as the ring that they would have won if they had gone to a team that had more need for them. You guys don't have to agree with me.

AWC713
07-10-2009, 01:32 AM
i disagree with you, but i feel ya.

ive always wondered how different the leagues (mlb, nfl, nba) would be if players HAD to play for whoever drafted them (i.e. no FA, no trades, etc.)....and, if things played out that way, drafts would turn out completely different.

Hollywood Butt
07-10-2009, 01:33 AM
i thought the whole point of playing was to win?????????????

i respect them more for that then leaving for a loser just to get money.

Driven
07-10-2009, 01:39 AM
I would rather a player sign with a team he wants to play for instead him signing for a team he doesn't want to play for.

I don't see the problem.

simpsona
07-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Another thing to look at is location of teams. If I had the choice of going to either L.A. (an obvious championship contender) or OKC or Memphis (far far away from a championship and probably won't win one before I retire) the choice, for me, is pretty simple. I'm definitely going to L.A.

BlondeBomber41
07-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Its extremely annoying how trendy it has become in the NBA, thats for sure.

Basically it goes like this. If you are a fan of one of the 3 or 4 teams that benefits from this, then it doesnt bother you.

To everyone else it pisses them off. Their team is trying hard to acquire players in complicated deals and then one of the best teams in the league already is signing players of that quality to MLE and under type deals.

I like the way the NFL is set up when it comes to FA better.

GSW fan
07-10-2009, 02:52 AM
its all about the jewlery

djeller1139
07-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Who would blame them?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

tland22
07-10-2009, 02:59 AM
make no mistake about it then...getting "rings" is over rated. It simply canNOT mean as much anymore in this era. Rings are everything I guess...its why they play ALLEGEDLY...but lets be honest, players legacies are determined by number of rings in a sad sad way....and in this era. Who the FUHCK cares. Look att hings now. Seriously, look. You need a "team" to win it all. All the great players want to go play where the absolute BEST players are....and they can do that, so why not do it...they are doing it...it will get worse and worse, because the media and fans tend to judge on the number of championship rings etc.... again, its a vicious cycle. That is non an argument. That is stating a fact.

Driven
07-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Its extremely annoying how trendy it has become in the NBA, thats for sure.

Basically it goes like this. If you are a fan of one of the 3 or 4 teams that benefits from this, then it doesnt bother you.

To everyone else it pisses them off. Their team is trying hard to acquire players in complicated deals and then one of the best teams in the league already is signing players of that quality to MLE and under type deals.

I like the way the NFL is set up when it comes to FA better.
It only pisses them off because they're bitter.

If you are a great team, or a big market, people are going to want to play for you. Welcome to sports.

AK-50
07-10-2009, 03:09 AM

yea i know how thats like

simpsona
07-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I agree 100%. Rings are highly highly over rated. It takes a whole team to win championships. In todays sports arena, there are too many quality players to do it all by yourself. Even the best need some help.

Sixxpack
07-10-2009, 04:03 AM
its pretty annoying... I agree. The NBA is sad in that respect. An excruciatingly TOP-HEAVY league...this thing that they call a "league"

Yeah I agree with you, and the thread starter, it's annoying as hell, like the "rich getting richer" type of deal. The NBA is going to have to pay more attention to this trend, or they will lose fans because of the "lopsidedness" of the leagues. It's happened before to other leagues NHL, that was part of the reason behind the lockout, revenue sharing and a salary cap, leveled the playing field, but not until after the damage was done. Now attendance has never been higher, something like a 96%-97% sellouts, TV viewers has slowly been gaining steam, the Winter Classic game , and the arrival of 5 or 6 potential "league faces" has helped, this year’s Cup playoffs set viewing records, and a couple of the Finals games were sports TV viewer records.

Football-NFL

The league, and Tagliabue pretty much handled that when F/A was introduced, again Salary Caps, and revenue sharing played a part. Now there are really only a few teams that still bring in the "old" expensive players, the Pats (which they have found a way to make that work, not paying an arm and a leg for these guys) so they have wiggle room to sign draft picks, renegotiate with their F/A, and probably the biggest part, they still win! (It kills me to say that, I frakking hate them, born and raised here in W. PA so you know who I'm with) On the other end, Al Davis and his "Gaiders"-Raiders used to be successful in snagging the old vets, most with a chip on their shoulder, and they went out and were winners. (‘60-'70-and most of the '80's) The difference now he (Davis) still tries to do the same thing, sign old established players, and drafting "fast, speedy" players, that was good 25 years ago, but times change. If you go for those old dudes, you had better look at the character of the vet (good guy to have, or pissy whiner distracting guys) a few of the bad seeds can and will divide the team without already having vets that are good character guys, and don't let bad eggs affect the whole team. Like they are now, they may as well sign TO and let him work his "magic" cause that's the only interesting thing that will happen.

Baseball-MLB

In my eyes the league that's potentially worse off in the direction they are headed, is the MLB. They too put in revenue sharing, and some type of cap Luxury Tax (more like a fine type of deal). The NBA still has a ways to go to catch MLB, but they too are headed that way. When you have a team (clear throat, Yankees, BoSox, Angels, Astros, Cards, and probably more) with a 200 and some million dollar payroll, (actually more like limitless), and 20 or so other teams in the 30-65 million range, come on the difference is huge, those smaller market, less money from owners, they don't stand a chance. I know the "Big Boys" don't always win, of course, there is always exceptions, to anything and everything, but more times than not the small guys are gonna be assed out. Combine that with the Steroid Era B.S., and the work stoppage in the '90's, popularity will drop. Once that happiness and no rules are in place to right the situation, the gap gets bigger, and more impossible to overcome.

So NBA, Stern yinz best get off your *** and address this issue, or face a MLB'esq problems, oh also you prick, get a team back in Seattle, or make a deal between MLB, NBA, Seattle and Pittsburgh, they like baseball up there, so they take the Pirates, Pittsburgh get a NBA team again (yeah Condors) and everyone’s happy. That way WA people have games to see, and we can get rid of the only crap team we have in the “City of Champions”….Think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driven
07-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Football and baseball are different sports. What is the NBA supposed to do? If someone wants to sign with a team for cheap, you can't do **** about that. It's not hurting the NBA, especially when it's a superstar driven league.

BlondeBomber41
07-10-2009, 04:55 AM
It only pisses them off because they're bitter.

If you are a great team, or a big market, people are going to want to play for you. Welcome to sports.

You can call it bitter if you want, I prefer to think of it as simply being frustrated. It pisses me off when I see a championship squad add a guy like Rasheed Wallace or Ron Artest when I know that it would probably take twice the salary for that player to have ended up a Mavs.

Its not about big markets. The Knicks and Bulls havent signed anyone, and I dont see the Clippers reeling in any big FA's. Its about riding some coattails and its ****in annoying.

J-Relo
07-10-2009, 05:16 AM

yep, agree...

BlondeBomber41
07-10-2009, 05:49 AM

So unless its LA, Boston, Orlando, Cleveland or San Antonio its a bad team? The Nuggets, Hawks, Mavericks, Hornets etc are all teams that are a piece or two away from being right up there with those teams and instead of that piece signing with them they go and latch onto a team that was already a contender and its ****in annoying.

I wonder why this never happened when Dallas contended for so many years. Never once did we sign a FA that was really worth a damn.

cmellofan15
07-10-2009, 05:57 AM
So unless its LA, Boston, Orlando, Cleveland or San Antonio its a bad team? The Nuggets, Hawks, Mavericks, Hornets etc are all teams that are a piece or two away from being right up there with those teams and instead of that piece signing with them they go and latch onto a team that was already a contender and its ****in annoying.

I wonder why this never happened when Dallas contended for so many years. Never once did we sign a FA that was really worth a damn.

I don't think any of those teams are on top like Dallas was when Dirk won MVP either.

MPScribbles
07-10-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm glad this has gotten people thinking and talking a bit. Don't understand the multiple times people have essentially posted "welcome to sports" or "it's their right to do so". Of course it is up to them and this happens in sports. That is why we are talking about it. If it wasn't up to them, they couldn't do it. If it didn't happen in sports we wouldn't be discussing it. Please have something to say when posting.

Perfect example team of what I would like to see more often would be Utah. Forget for a second that they play in freakin Utah and therefore it is harder to attract FA's. That roster plus Ron Artest, for example, I think would instantly be competitors. Instead he signs on championship team. If they win it all next year I will personally have no respect for Artest as a champion. Please spare me the "he hatin on da lakerz" comments. This actually has nothing to do with that- although, admittedly, I do hate the Lakers. They just happen to be the team that won it all and then signed the best FA available for the MLE. Perfect example to site.

kblo247
07-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm glad this has gotten people thinking and talking a bit. Don't understand the multiple times people have essentially posted "welcome to sports" or "it's their right to do so". Of course it is up to them and this happens in sports. That is why we are talking about it. If it wasn't up to them, they couldn't do it. If it didn't happen in sports we wouldn't be discussing it. Please have something to say when posting.

Perfect example team of what I would like to see more often would be Utah. Forget for a second that they play in freakin Utah and therefore it is harder to attract FA's. That roster plus Ron Artest, for example, I think would instantly be competitors. Instead he signs on championship team. If they win it all next year I will personally have no respect for Artest as a champion. Please spare me the "he hatin on da lakerz" comments. This actually has nothing to do with that- although, admittedly, I do hate the Lakers. They just happen to be the team that won it all and then signed the best FA available for the MLE. Perfect example to site.

:cry:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7p4mioawIA:cry:

The thing with that logic is that Artest would have helped the Lakers defend the title successfully and battled right along side his fellow Lakers to be the best in the NBA. That makes him a champion.

Besides, you had your chance (traded him away) at Artest as did every team in the league. The fact that the others didn't pursue him as hard as the Lakers did or other top tier free agents like the Spurs and Celtics have is on your inept management.

You play to win the game, not try to balance power and create parity.

At the end of the day, it won't matter how you see him, all that matters is what the record books, banners, rings, t-shirts, and caps will say.

"In life there are winners and there are losers, be jealous."

28+24+5=3champs
07-10-2009, 07:38 AM
i think its refreshing that to some guys winning really is more important than money

cmellofan15
07-10-2009, 07:59 AM
i think its refreshing that to some guys winning really is more important than money

Exactly! When players get shunned when they get these huge multi-million dollar contracts and now players want to play for winners you guys try to ******* on them for doing so. I agree, there should be some more diversity in the teams receiving vets, but at least it's not all about the money.

NANDOKNICK
07-10-2009, 08:01 AM
If you dont get a ring you are critisized....so get a ring
by hook or by crook

THE MATRIX
07-10-2009, 08:04 AM
10 - 20 years ago you could buy an NBA jersey, your favorite player and you'd wear it proudly. Bangwagon players move so fast now it's hard to keep up. I just mean what happen to pride. You sign with a team, build, and win a championship. I"m well aware of the NBA landscape today, reading this post makes me think of the teams of old. Proud champions that EARNED their championships.

Rasheed4eva
07-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Wow sorry teams should get better draft picks and the best fa's

CELTICS4LYFE
07-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Its alllll about winning the big one!! so why wouldnt you wanna play on a team with other great players??

Iron24th
07-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Young players sign for money and veterans sign for championship,nothing new.

king4day
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
no i di do not agree,most of these guys spend years on teams that arent and the gm/owner dont live up to their responsibility to surround them with talent(how it usually is),so if they wont put a championship caliber team around me why shouldnt i go to one?

I can see both sides of the argument, but I like your response. It's accurate from that side of the debate.

I don't have a problem with them jumping to a contender. They already go their money and don't want to miss out on a shot at a ring. Teams outside the big 7 now literally don't have a chance to win. This makes you wonder why Grant Hill won't go to a title contender. Some just don't care and it's all about being happy in life and stability.

Yanks All Day
07-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I can definitely see what you mean by players just jumping on the great teams in hopes of riding their success to a free ring, so I can't argue that bandwagon players are good or bad. But, if I was a player I would want to take the best deal for myself and my family to start my career. But let's face it, after one contract (after the rookie contracts, that is) many players are set for life. After making my money, I would want to start to cement my legacy in the game and try to win some rings. If a big name contender wanted me to play for them and gave me the best chance to win, then why not?

MAC10TIZZY
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM

turk was only one of our stars, we did have three of them

GHOSTSNIPER
07-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I can definitely see what you mean by players just jumping on the great teams in hopes of riding their success to a free ring, so I can't argue that bandwagon players are good or bad. But, if I was a player I would want to take the best deal for myself and my family to start my career. But let's face it, after one contract (after the rookie contracts, that is) many players are set for life. After making my money, I would want to start to cement my legacy in the game and try to win some rings. If a big name contender wanted me to play for them and gave me the best chance to win, then why not?

^^Yankee fan^^...lmao

tland22
07-10-2009, 01:15 PM
If you dont get a ring you are critisized....so get a ring
by hook or by crook

but thats my point exactly...and that is what is sad. Like I said earlier, make no mistake about it then...getting "rings" is over rated. It simply canNOT mean as much anymore in this era. Rings are everything I guess...its why they play ALLEGEDLY...but lets be honest, players legacies are determined by number of rings in a sad sad way....and in this era. Who the FUHCK cares. Look att hings now. Seriously, look. You need a "team" to win it all. All the great players want to go play where the absolute BEST players are....and they can do that, so why not do it...they are doing it...it will get worse and worse, because the media and fans tend to judge on the number of championship rings etc.... again, its a vicious cycle. That is non an argument. That is stating a fact.

MPScribbles
07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
How the *uck do you win a ring naturally?Tell MJ to give back the ring bandwagon Rodman helped him get.You're a clown and you continue to embarrass yourself.....close this stupid thread.How do you like them spaghetti tacos for breakfast?

You're obviously very intelligent. The fact that Rodman was acquired through a trade, and didn't sign for the minimum as a FA, makes him ineligible as a topic for this discussion. Thanks for your input, though.

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 06:17 PM
No, I don't feel like they're doing anything wrong. They just want to win a title, and they think that the team they're on right now cannot accomplish that. I think it's worse when player demand a trade, and create this media frenzy with all their threats and stupid talk.

GHOSTSNIPER
07-10-2009, 11:29 PM
You're obviously very intelligent. The fact that Rodman was acquired through a trade, and didn't sign for the minimum as a FA, makes him ineligible as a topic for this discussion. Thanks for your input, though.

Dennis had the right to veto any move.If your girl aint cookin you jump through another girls window...consider yourself served.Peace.

PBG
07-11-2009, 12:41 AM

yea , that reall makes me :mad:

Sportfan
07-11-2009, 12:45 AM
um why? that is ****in stupid. You would rather play with a losing team then be a contender? especially if youve been in the league for a long time without a ring

BTownTeamsRKing
07-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Hellooo?!?!?! U play to win the game!!!!!!

if your not playing to win, find a new profession.

ko8e24
07-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Hellooo?!?!?! U play to win the game!!!!!!

if your not playing to win, find a new profession.

cliche! cliche! cliche!

Do you actually know what the best part of winning an nba championship is???? its the feeling of fulfillment.

and do you know where that feeling of fulfillment comes from????

not actually winning the championship, but the process of getting to that stage and then winning. having to go through all the crap, ups and downs, times of doubt, when ur questioning ur self, the time where a team experiences epiphany, team camraderie, understanding what it takes to win, the way you win, and then finally, holding that trophy. cuz like Mcdyess who just join to win a ring with any team don't go thru that true experience.

Remember, its the journey that seems more endearing then the actual end result.

KaganRS
07-11-2009, 01:33 AM
im tired of people that are tired of bandwagon players

ishouldbeagm
07-11-2009, 02:15 AM
i concur with poster above

slipcid
07-11-2009, 02:21 AM
god bless you grant hill

JayW_1023
07-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I rather see a player like Artest join a team under his market value to help the team win foremost than a guy like Ariza demanding money twice as much as he is worth and goes to another team when his feelings get hurt.

Ariza thinks he is a star because he has a ring...he will think wrong. Ariza is easy, and Artest will make it a test...but Artest is by far the better player.

AntiG
07-11-2009, 09:26 AM
god bless you grant hill

that he's a bit greedy and chose a bigger contract over a chance for a ring? such a saint

PJAF
07-11-2009, 09:40 AM
To me this is really what it is about. It says a lot about a player that a championship is more important than individual stats and money.

no1baller
07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
bandwagon players just want to win a championship

no1baller
07-11-2009, 01:12 PM
but lets say if the lakers also got odom and another player in FA along with artest you no the lakers r going to win back to back and the nba wud get boring

championships
07-11-2009, 01:40 PM
It just sounds to me that the guy who started this thread is a little bitter cause none of the big free agents want to go to the Bulls. I bet the league wasn't boring when MJ and the Bulls werre winning all the time. Now your mad cause they sucked for a long time and can't lure any big free agents to your team.

MagicDojo
07-11-2009, 02:36 PM
It just sounds to me that the guy who started this thread is a little bitter cause none of the big free agents want to go to the Bulls. I bet the league wasn't boring when MJ and the Bulls werre winning all the time. Now your mad cause they sucked for a long time and can't lure any big free agents to your team.

I can honestly say the whole bandwagon thing used to really really make me mad. But now that my team is one of those teams I love it. i sit around and just laugh about it cause I am so happy that it is finally orlando's turn to be one of those teams. The Bulls were that team for a decade and got 6 championships and now it is someone elses turn.

:dance:<----me when Vince Carter and Bass want to come to Orlando.

MagicDojo
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM

short consise and right on Manram.

MPScribbles
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM

You are incorrect, sir. If it sounds that way then it is because you want it to sound that way. To reference the Bulls, none of our championships were won due to ring chasers jumping on board. Our teams came up together or were tweaked along the way. You can't name one player on our championship teams that signed as a free agent for less than he was worth just for the chance to be on a stacked team that was almost sure to be in the finals. The Bulls signed Harper at a time when Jordan was retired and the Bulls were getting put out of the playoffs. Besides that the Bulls either drafted or acquired by trade every significant player in each of their championships.

MPScribbles
07-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Tell MJ to give back the ring bandwagon Rodman helped him get.

BTW, which of the 3 rings that they won together were you referencing?