PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been so many STACKED teams in the league at once?

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
EAST:

Magic:
Howard
Lewis
VC
Nelson

Cleveland:
Lebron
Shaq
Mo Williams
Big Z

Celtics:
KG
Ray Allen
Pierce
Rashard
Rondo

WEST:

Lakers:
Kobe
Pau
Artest
Odom (assuming he signs w/ LA)
Bynum

Spurs:
TD
TP
Manu
RJ

Mavs:
Dirk
Kidd
Howard
Marion
Jet Terry

Denver:
Melo
Billups
JR Smith
Kmart
Nene
Birdman

Jazz:
Deron
Boozer
Millsap
AK
Okur

It's gonna be a MONSTER season for the NBA.

asandhu23
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
add warriors up there my friend. we don't have bunch of losers on our team either. and add portland and clippers. and hawks

JaySmoke
07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
lol at u including BIG z.....
mavs suck they always have a stacked team.. u think adding marion will change that..kidd, dirk, marion, terry all oover 31...
theyre underachivers and will never win a title.

JaySmoke
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
add warriors up there my friend. we don't have bunch of losers on our team either. and add portland and clippers. and hawks

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
lmao warriors and clippers :laugh2:
portland isnt stacked.. they have good young players roy is a star and aldrige is good oden and bayless havent done ****

Slaps
07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Now let's just hope everyone stays healthy and we can have another lakers/Celtics final.

jimbobjarree
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Jazz will have Deron,Boozer (or what he's traded for),Memo,Millsap,AK and Brewer who aint bad either. Deron stays healthy all year we'll be up there.

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
lol at u including BIG z.....
mavs suck they always have a stacked team.. u think adding marion will change that..kidd, dirk, marion, terry all oover 31...
theyre underachivers and will never win a title.

I don't know about you, but I consider 13ppg 7.5rpg 1.3bpg in 27mpg pretty effective.

Especially when Sheed' did 12ppg 7rpg 1.3bpg in 32mpg last season...

So lol at me for including Sheed' on that list?

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Jazz will have Deron,Boozer (or what he's traded for),Memo,Millsap,AK and Brewer who aint bad either. Deron stays healthy all year we'll be up there.

I agree, should include the Jazz as well.

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't call a team stacked unless they got an allstar guard and an allstar big man along with good players around them. For that, Denver isn't stacked.

Also when I think of stacked I think of teams that can win the title. A lot of those teams aren't good enough to win the title.

1998 was pretty loaded all around. Bulls, Pacers, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, Jazz and Sonics come to mind.

1997 Bulls, Heat, Knicks, Lakers, Jazz, Rockets, Sonics, Hawks

1996 Bulls, Magic, Knicks, Sonics, Rockets

1983 Lakers, Sixers, Bucks, Celtics,

etc

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't call a team stacked unless they got an allstar guard and an allstar big man along with good players around them. For that, Denver isn't stacked.

Also when I think of stacked I think of teams that can win the title. A lot of those teams aren't good enough to win the title.

1998 was pretty loaded all around. Bulls, Pacers, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, Jazz and Sonics come to mind.

1996 Bulls, Magic, Knicks, Sonics, Rockets

1983 Lakers, Sixers, Bucks, Celtics,

etc

Well, we know of at least 5 teams that are absolutely stacked and poised for winning the title: Celtics, Cavs, Magic, Lakers, and Spurs. Plus, we've got borderline teams like: Mavs, who are stacked beyond belief now with Gortat as well, not to mention how everyone considered Denver favorites over the Lakers during the playoffs and some of the regular season.

vigilantex69
07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I would add the Pistons to that list up top as well? What don't they have like 3 20+ point AVG scorers now? They stacked up in FA.

vigilantex69
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
But I do agree, this is the most stacked I have EVER seen certain NBA teams. Theres going to be some powerhouses, then theres really going to be some terrible teams this coming season.

THE MTL
07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Utah and Denver arent stacked teams in my opinion. But you can add Portland to that list though.

JDizzle
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
the nba is going to be very fun to watch this year i think there will be a huge drop off from the elite and the rest like we never seen in years

THE MTL
07-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Also after OKC lottery pick on a center in 2010. I think we will be seeing a VERY VERY scary team for the future. They will be stacked from 1-5 and with money to spend on a free agent.

MiamiHeat
07-09-2009, 02:53 PM
MIAMI HEAT - Mark Blount, Yakhouba Diawara, Chris Quinn, Joel Anthony

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
the nba is going to be very fun to watch this year i think there will be a huge drop off from the elite and the rest like we never seen in years

Yep, there's the elite teams trying to win a title, and then there's the teams just shedding salary trying not to lose money

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 03:06 PM
its gonna be a great upcoming season!

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Well, we know of at least 5 teams that are absolutely stacked and poised for winning the title: Celtics, Cavs, Magic, Lakers, and Spurs. Plus, we've got borderline teams like: Mavs, who are stacked beyond belief now with Gortat as well, not to mention how everyone considered Denver favorites over the Lakers during the playoffs and some of the regular season.

A few said Denver would win, most did not. 7 of the 10 analysts picked LA to win and LA had the HCA and were a 65 win team. No way is a 54 win team the favorite. If anyone picked Denver it was because they were calling an upset.

Also Denver is getting older now and just lost Jones. Not sure if they have picked up anyone else.

fredv
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM

I don't think Millsap is going back to Utah. I have been hearing serious rumors that he is discussing with Portland..

Hellcrooner
07-09-2009, 05:11 PM
87-90

lakers, suns, sonics,blazers, mavs, nuggets, rockets,jazz in the west.

bukcs, celtics, hawks, cavs, bulls, pistons

all of them where stacked on talent

zambo4president
07-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Thats what i was wondering. Almost every team except for a handfull, is good enough to compete and anyone can beat anyone on any given day, cannot wait for the season to start.

k08E24MVP
07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
EAST:

Celtics:
KG
Ray Allen
Pierce
Rashard
Rondo

Rasheed, lol
just pointing it out

k08E24MVP
07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Wizards are kinda stacked too haha

Sportfan
07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
hawks and blazers are lookin good

and even the wizards, butler, foye, arenas and jamison are there

RiLoc
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I think it's a lot easier to stack teams in the NBA than other sports, since rosters are so much smaller and it's a soft cap. Maybe that's obvious.

Sometimes I wonder if they switched to a hard cap and tightened it up if it would be a more exciting league. Obviously the gameplay during the late playoffs would drop off, but perhaps the difference wouldn't be drastic enough to lower the entertainment of it.

ManRam
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
A bad economy, and the fact that a lot of teams are looking more towards the future than the present obviously is playing a role in the league being top heavy this year. Only a handful of teams really were looking to improve their teams this year, so the ones that are benefit mightily. There will be a lot of bad teams as a result, but there are definitely a ton of stacked teams.

Should be a great year.

Lindystud36
07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I want AI to go to the heat just for excitement, if they are in a close game with any of the contenders wade can take over and then dish to AI for the win.

Celtics v Lakers finals

theuuord
07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
we're going to see at least five teams with over 60 wins, and similarly it's likely we'll see at least 5 teams with over 60 losses.

IBleedPurple
07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Utah and Denver arent stacked teams in my opinion. But you can add Portland to that list though.

Tell me your logic at including Portland but not Denver or Utah? :confused:

Bruno
07-09-2009, 06:27 PM

etc

The '98 Rockets were a .500 basketball team. The '98 Spurs and '97 Hawks didn't have all-star guards (two allstar big men). The '97 Knicks didn't have one player on the '97 all-star team. By your own definition, those weren't elite teams.

I would add the Wizards to your list of stacked teams, even though we don't know what their chemistry/health will be like yet. Arenas, Butler and Jamison have all been allstars.

bagwell368
07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
In several years in the 80's you had the 76'ers, Celts, Lakers, Bucks, Rockets, Pistons - at least 3 and sometimes more in one year had more firepower then any team today.

Take the 85-86 Celts and Lakers combined and you have:

4 of the top 20:

Jabbar
Magic
Bird
Parish (longevity more then max quality, still, easily a top 5 center in any given era)

8 of the next 100:

McHale
AC Green
DJ
Maxwell
Scott
Worthy
Ainge
Walton (obviously not at his peak then)

Name me another pair of teams since that has so many high ranking stars.

asandhu23
07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
i think this year, team chemistry is going to be a HUGE factor. having loaded teams also means tons of ego.

asandhu23
07-09-2009, 07:17 PM
In several years in the 80's you had the 76'ers, Celts, Lakers, Bucks, Rockets, Pistons - at least 3 and sometimes more in one year had more firepower then any team today.

Take the 85-86 Celts and Lakers combined and you have:

4 of the top 20:

Jabbar
Magic
Bird
Parish (longevity more then max quality, still, easily a top 5 center in any given era)

8 of the next 100:

McHale
AC Green
DJ
Maxwell
Scott
Worthy
Ainge
Walton (obviously not at his peak then)

Name me another pair of teams since that has so many high ranking stars.

tell me something. who is that chick in your sig?

DCSportsIsPain
07-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Define "Stacked."

NBA Record, Points Per Game, 126.5, Denver, 1981-82.
The Nuggets scored 100 or more points in all 82 regular season games.

Stacked teams would challenge this record. It isn't happening.

LA_Raiders
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Clev? Has 2 Stars, Shaq & Z are done.... Besides that, DAMN....Cant wait...

X12Celtics3
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
High-scoring doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with success. Just because they have a high record for points per game doesn't mean they were 'stacked', for all I know (which, in this case, is nothing, I wasn't even alive then) the team could have had the worst defense ever. How did they do in the playoffs?

MPScribbles
07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I would add the Pistons to that list up top as well? What don't they have like 3 20+ point AVG scorers now? They stacked up in FA.

Am I the only one that read this post? How has nobody else said anything abou this? The pistons current roster is an abomination. That team will have no defense outside of Prince and only has one All-Star, Hamilton, which was a very iffy selection whenever he did make an All-Star team. He basically made it because of the success of the team, not for being among the talent level of the other All-Stars. BTW, he is most likely now going to be a 6th man on that team because Gordon won't accept that as his role, which sounds good in theory but won't pan out very well. I will post again what the Pistons have as a roster...

PG- Shoot-first combo guard w/ no 3
SG- Undersized, shoot-first and second guard w/ good 3 but absolutely no defense
SF- Very good defender w/ little offense
PF- Oversized SF who apparently hates to rebound or play like a man who is 6'11"
C- Kwame? is he still in the league?

Luckily I had just copy and pasted this in a different thread to address another delusional Pistons fan.

Kyle N.
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Am I the only one that read this post? How has nobody else said anything abou this? The pistons current roster is an abomination. That team will have no defense outside of Prince and only has one All-Star, Hamilton, which was a very iffy selection whenever he did make an All-Star team. He basically made it because of the success of the team, not for being among the talent level of the other All-Stars. BTW, he is most likely now going to be a 6th man on that team because Gordon won't accept that as his role, which sounds good in theory but won't pan out very well. I will post again what the Pistons have as a roster...

PG- Shoot-first combo guard w/ no 3
SG- Undersized, shoot-first and second guard w/ good 3 but absolutely no defense
SF- Very good defender w/ little offense
PF- Oversized SF who apparently hates to rebound or play like a man who is 6'11"
C- Kwame? is he still in the league?

Luckily I had just copy and pasted this in a different thread to address another delusional Pistons fan.

I think everybody missed it because they were looking at the picture of the chick in their sig. I was looking for this post when you said it and I passed over it two times!

Kyle N.
07-09-2009, 10:29 PM

u FoGoT aBoUt Da kInGz

Mrphilly
07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I think u are reaching with the nuggets. Birdman, Kmart, Old Chauncey, is not stacking your team.

bagwell368
07-09-2009, 11:34 PM
tell me something. who is that chick in your sig?

Krystle Lina....

dsonLAL24
07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
it'll be wild season

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 12:02 AM
The difference between the elite teams and the rest is getting wider and wider. Personally I am not in favor of this. I always liked and cheered for a under dog team. I always liked when the Hawks pushed the Celtics to 7 game series (even though they got crushed in game 7), also Chicago and Boston this year. Also the I believe the West is not as strong as previous years. The East is catching up, and fast too.

jimm120
07-10-2009, 12:14 AM

Why do you keep including The Cavs? No, the Cavs are NOT on the same level as those other teams. Yeah, Shaq is a big improvement as a #2 over Mo WIlliams (who is now the #3) but I don't consider Lebron and Shaq alone (mo isn't that good and big z lol).

You can't just look at stats when defining a team that is "stacked". If there is no one else, SOMEONE has to score and for the Cavs, it was Mo but he won't be that high again. Wallace and Big Z are very different. Big Z is done and will be on a reserve role. Plus, the impact between Wallacve and Z is vastly different, even though their stats were close.

Poised to win a championship:

1 - Lakers (Kobe, Odom, Bynum, Artest, Pau)

2 - Celtics (Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Wallace)

3 - Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson)

4 - Magic (Howard, Lewis, Carter, Nelson)

5 - Mavericks (Dirk, Marion, Kidd, Howard, Terry)

6 - Nuggets (Anthony, Billups.....and with a much lower extent Nene)

Those, IMO, are the top 6 teams next year according to their talent level. And yes, there are a few others which are getting up there but not yet.

tkshy
07-10-2009, 12:16 AM
If you mean stacked as in talent. NO there have never been more stacked teams, because there are more talented players from all over the world playing here now. There are stacked teams that have terrible records, but talent wise they are great. The more good teams the less likely you ever get a 70 win season again for example. The shorter list would be the teams that have a terrible line up. Look at the teams in the lottery. Even most of them have a lot of talent. OKC, Toronto...etc.

Kyle N.
07-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Why do you keep including The Cavs? No, the Cavs are NOT on the same level as those other teams. Yeah, Shaq is a big improvement as a #2 over Mo WIlliams (who is now the #3) but I don't consider Lebron and Shaq alone (mo isn't that good and big z lol).

You can't just look at stats when defining a team that is "stacked". If there is no one else, SOMEONE has to score and for the Cavs, it was Mo but he won't be that high again. Wallace and Big Z are very different. Big Z is done and will be on a reserve role. Plus, the impact between Wallacve and Z is vastly different, even though their stats were close.

Poised to win a championship:

1 - Lakers (Kobe, Odom, Bynum, Artest, Pau)

2 - Celtics (Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Wallace)

3 - Spurs (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson)

4 - Magic (Howard, Lewis, Carter, Nelson)

5 - Mavericks (Dirk, Marion, Kidd, Howard, Terry)

6 - Nuggets (Anthony, Billups.....and with a much lower extent Nene)

Those, IMO, are the top 6 teams next year according to their talent level. And yes, there are a few others which are getting up there but not yet.

Just maybe because they had the best record in the league last year. That makes them pretty damn good.

scebbs9
07-10-2009, 12:44 AM
your forgetting the raptors!!!!

Raptors:
CB4
Jose Calderon
Demar Derozan
HEDO TURKOGLU
Antoine Wright
Andrea Bargnani
Devean George
Carlos Delfino

COME ONNN!

RAPTORS BASKETBALL!
2010 NBA CHAMPSS!

RaiderLakersA's
07-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that what appears to be a big talent glut on the "elite" teams is going to fizzle out by season's end? Age, chemistry issues or the injury bug is going to strike some team and possibly cost them a playoff spot, if not the championship run. The team to win it all may not be the one with the best 5, but the deepest, most versatile, most cohesive bench.

king4day
07-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Ask Michael Jordan...He crushed them all

dee279
07-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Just maybe because they had the best record in the league last year. That makes them pretty damn good.

:clap:

MaHaRaJaH
07-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that what appears to be a big talent glut on the "elite" teams is going to fizzle out by season's end? Age, chemistry issues or the injury bug is going to strike some team and possibly cost them a playoff spot, if not the championship run. The team to win it all may not be the one with the best 5, but the deepest, most versatile, most cohesive bench.

Lol Clippers know this all to well.

MaHaRaJaH
07-10-2009, 01:15 AM

Raptors:
CB4
Jose Calderon

HEDO TURKOGLU

Andrea Bargnani

COME ONNN!

RAPTORS BASKETBALL!
2010 NBA CHAMPSS!

I understand, This team has great POTENTIAL to be good. Lets hope the season plays out as good as it looks on paper.

ARMIN12NBA
07-10-2009, 01:27 AM
The 1980's was a stacked decade.

Driven
07-10-2009, 01:30 AM
EAST:

Magic:
Howard
Lewis
VC
Nelson

Cleveland:
Lebron
Shaq
Mo Williams
Big Z

Celtics:
KG
Ray Allen
Pierce
Rashard
Rondo

WEST:

Lakers:
Kobe
Pau
Artest
Odom (assuming he signs w/ LA)
Bynum

Spurs:
TD
TP
Manu
RJ

Mavs:
Dirk
Kidd
Howard
Marion
Jet Terry

Denver:
Melo
Billups
JR Smith
Kmart
Nene
Birdman

Jazz:
Deron
Boozer
Millsap
AK
Okur

It's gonna be a MONSTER season for the NBA.

I really don't think there are that many stacked teams. The Jazz are not stacked. Shawn Marion does not make the Mavs stacked. Having one player and Mo Williams does not make Cleveland stacked.

Is this some type of joke?

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Raptors:
CB4
Jose Calderon
Demar Derozan
HEDO TURKOGLU
Antoine Wright
Andrea Bargnani
Devean George
Carlos Delfino

COME ONNN!

RAPTORS BASKETBALL!
2010 NBA CHAMPSS!

They're okay, but they're not at the same level as Cleveland, Boston and Magic. The Raptors, Wiz, 76ers, and the Hawks are in the mid level teams.

Gilbert Arenas
Antawn Jamison
Caron Butler
Brendan Haywood
Randy Foye
Mike Miller
Javale McGee
Andray Blatche
Nick Young
Deshawn Stevenson

DreamShaker
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

All of those teams are flawed though...Spurs are old and Manu is a question mark, Lakers might have chemistry problems (Artest is a chucker on a team where Kobe and Pau need the ball) and can't defend quick guards, the Magic have no real power forward, the Celtics have no bench outside of Sheed Wallace, the Cavs are depending on a 36 year old Shaq to put them over the top ect...this is all on paper...some of these teams might be disapointing...

carruthers32
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
raptors are pretty good to.
calderon
wright
hedo
bosh
bargnani

FlakeyFool
07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
They're okay, but they're not at the same level as Cleveland, Boston and Magic. The Raptors, Wiz, 76ers, and the Hawks are in the mid level teams.

Gilbert Arenas
Antawn Jamison
Caron Butler
Brendan Haywood
Randy Foye
Mike Miller
Javale McGee
Andray Blatche
Nick Young
Deshawn Stevenson

arenas won't last 10 games without getting hurt

raptors getting overlooked AGAIN, whats new...

kingkobe
07-10-2009, 02:18 PM

I wouldn't really call that overlooked. They did have one of the worst records last year. Even at full strength they lost a lot of games.

bogdanrom
07-10-2009, 02:21 PM

I think you're wrong. He has been condition with the same person Wade did after his injury before his amazing season last year. I'm not saying he is going to anywhere near Wade's season or even his old form but he I GUARANTEED he will play at least 65 games and have an All Star season. Plus even with out him we still have Foye, and even without him we will still make the playoffs.

MPScribbles
07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I think everybody missed it because they were looking at the picture of the chick in their sig. I was looking for this post when you said it and I passed over it two times!

I actually hadn't considered that as a possibility because I didn't find that chick to be anything special. Funny though.

GoldenState*
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Warriors
Monta
Biedrins
Jackson
Curry
Randolph
=)))**

dodie53
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
suns