PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant's peak

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I am a huge fan of Durant's game now. The strides he's taken from his first season to his second was pretty amazing. He developed into one of the premier 3 point shooters in the league and became a really efficient scorer.

He is fully equipped to be an extremely effective defender. He's not only tall for his position at 6'9, he's got good speed, and a set of one of the longest arms on a perimeter player in the NBA.

Because of his length advantage, he's doing well on the boards, but could easily do better if he bulked up. The only problem is, with pure shooters like Durant, we don't see them bulking up much (think Reggie Miller).

As far as playmaking, from what I've seen, it's definitely there, but he seems way more comfortable scoring than passing.

I see his peak as 31ppg on 50%FG, 8rpg, 4apg, 2spg, 1bpg and in direct competition with Lebron as the league's premier SF.

And as scary as those stats look, he wasn't TOO far off last season at:

25.3ppg on 48%FG, 6.5rpg, 3.1apg, 1.3spg, .7bpg.... in his sophmore season at age 20.

what54!?
07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
He's gonna win a scoring title at least one in his career

MadBomber
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
dude...he's a beast even though he's a stick. I see him lasting longer than lebron because his skills are more refined and he's less dependent on his athletic ability. his j and overall game is smooth.....

TYoung21
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
People don't realize how great this kid is going to become. Already averaging 25 pts efficiently and just 20 years old!!

29$JerZ
07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
dude...he's a beast even though he's a stick. I see him lasting longer than lebron because his skills are more refined and he's less dependent on his athletic ability. his j and overall game is smooth.....

x2

LBJ will be as good as his body lets him. Durant skill set > LeBron imo

Fmartinez86
07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
true lebron depends on his body durant is just smooth doesnt even have to draw contact just wets it in ur face lol i just hope he doesnt become a litttle girl like most superstars do and like lebron is becoming

DreamShaker
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
He is a dynamic scorer....not sure about 8 boards a game though....

J_M_B
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
In a couple of years I think Durant could actually be a better player then Lebron IMO.

J_M_B
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I could see him next year averaging 27.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3 apg, 1.5 spg, and 1bpg. If some how he could get his team to 40 wins( which I find almost unlikely) he could enter the MVP discussion along with Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Howard, and Chris Paul IMO.

S-Dot
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
He'll definitely be direct competition with LBJ, not sure if he will ever be a better all around player than LeBron though. KD will be a perennial all-star though, and have a few scoring titles.

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Really? At 20 years old and still in his thin frame, he's averaging 6.5 boards a game. I would think 8 boards would be easily feasable once he matures.

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Kevin Durant is and will be a great player. He'll have a couple scoring titles.

HT9Canada
07-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Not to bash the Kevin Durant party, but you do have to remember the team he played for last year. I love Durant, he will be a star but as the team grows together they can't all continue to get more shots. There is no way that Durant will continue to take as many shots if the team gets good enough to make the playoffs. Nevertheless, he will have great numbers. I think when the team gets better, his assist numbers will go up. But we will see more this year and years to come when OKC can make a play to the playoffs.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 02:10 PM
He plays on a crappy team. If he gets those stats on a playoffs team, we can talk.

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Not to bash the Kevin Durant party, but you do have to remember the team he played for last year. I love Durant, he will be a star but as the team grows together they can't all continue to get more shots. There is no way that Durant will continue to take as many shots if the team gets good enough to make the playoffs. Nevertheless, he will have great numbers. I think when the team gets better, his assist numbers will go up. But we will see more this year and years to come when OKC can make a play to the playoffs.

Kevin Durant doesn't even take many shots per game. He takes 17FGA per game. He can easily increase his scoring.

kbaxter34
07-09-2009, 02:14 PM

He avg 11 rpg as a college freshman. 8 is doable. The length and athleticism is there. His game is sick.

Baller1
07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
He plays on a crappy team. If he gets those stats on a playoffs team, we can talk.

That crappy team features 3 starters at the age of 20 or younger... give them a break.

sp1derm00
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Why? It's not like 25ppg on 17FGA is anywhere near a "chucker".

Neither is shooting 48% FG and 42% 3FG.

How does scoring efficiently on a non-playoff team full of young, inexperienced players as their core NOT contribute to Durant's case?

kbaxter34
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM

He plays on a young team. I wouldn't say crappy. Durant 20, Russell Westbrook 20, Jeff Green 22, Nenad Krstic 25, and the additions of James Harden 19 and B.J. Mullens 20. They have a nice young core that will only get better. Its not like he is the only player on the team. His usage % was 28.3 compared to LeBrons 33.8. Its not like he has to hog the ball to put up us stats.

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
There is a difference between "Peak" and "Prime"

"Peak" is your absolutely best year or two while "Prime" are your best years where you have the numbers and have absolutely developed completely as a player.

ttam68
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Obviously his scoring ability is limitless, so to throw out random numbers of what he could achieve:

35 ppg, 9 rpg, 5apg, 1.5bpg, 2.5 spg

Really, its not fair to say any of those numbers are unreasonable, though maybe they're unlikely to occur at the same time.

He already gets 25 ppg, very efficiently. 6.5 rpg even though he's stick thin at 215 and plays shooting guard. 2.8 apg even though he plays off ball on a bad team with few spot up players. He averaged 0.9 blocks as a rookie, and 1.3 steals as a sophomore.

His potential is limitless.

torontosports10
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I traded Lebron in the mock off-season for Durant,Green and their lotto pick.

Then we got 2 big expiring contracts in Z and Big Ben and we will sign him back next off-season :drool:

JDizzle
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Durant.. possibly mvp? espically if thunder make the playoffs could average 30 a game this year

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm just saying he would have to be on a bad team to get those stats.
Lebron can average 40 points and 15 rebounds and assist on the Thunder.

Ace33Bone
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
HOLD ON HOLD ON!!! :whistle: Now I have been watching KD since he was a little kid and I am truly one of his biggest supporters and I hope that what some of you say happens... But I have to be realistic LBJ is the Greatest Show on earth and arguably the best player in the World. Are you saying that you feel KD will surpass this guy and may even be better? Because as much as I would love to see this happen I do not see it being a possibility. I think that LBJ is a once in a lifetime player there will never be another one of his caliber to come into the League. Sorry fellas but KD>LBJ I never see that happening

AllTheWay
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Durant will be better than Lebron.

MTone8788
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm just saying he would have to be on a bad team to get those stats.
Lebron can average 40 points and 15 rebounds and assist on the Thunder.

WHY? Why would Durant (A NATURAL SCORER) need to be on a bad team to score 30?

Who cares what Lebron could average on the Thunder?

Any top scorer in the league takes around 18-25 shots a game, so Durant would get his shots in on a good or bad team, AND he makes them at a great % (only entering his 3rd year).

Wow. Some people make no sense, nor even try to support their reasoning.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
^So your telling me that if Durant was in someones place like lets say Paul Peirce. Would he be able to average that if he was with Garnett, Allen and Rondo.

MTone8788
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
^So your telling me that if Durant was in someones place like lets say Paul Peirce. Would he be able to average that if he was with Garnett, Allen and Rondo.

Yes, he would be able to, but I don't think he would because I don't think he take enough shots.

You're missing the point of my whole post. There are plenty of good teams he could take 18-23 shots on and score 30 points of game.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that he isn't capable of scoring that much a game? Or, that he wouldn't on a good team solely because he would not get the opportunity...

Because I think he is CAPABLE of scoring 30 a game on any team if he had the shots, but on a few teams it's not necessary.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm saying he would only average those numbers if he was on a bad team.

KaganRS
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
oh how the Blazers have failed again .....

MTone8788
07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Distinguish a bad team from a good team.

Carey
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
The best thing about KD is he wants to be great, not just good, he looks up to Lebron and Kobe. Im a Thunder fan so i follow the team very closely, He's in a weight training program, He's up to 227 lbs, and that was a quite a few weeks ago, He'll come into this season stronger, and a better defender, which will open his options to play more spots on the floor on D, and also allow him to develop into a go to post player. The sky is really the limit for him!

Zefflin
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
The kids game is silky...KD is ****ing nasty...possible future MVP and NBA champion.

bogdanrom
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
He has such a bright future. He's going to make Oden look like one of the biggest busts in NBA Draft history.
Peak: 34.5PPG, 8.5RPG, 5.5APG, 1.0SPG, 1.0BPG
Prime: 30.5PPG, 7 RPG, 4 APG, 1.0SPG, .5 BPG
He will become the second best SF in the league behind Lebron (unless some amazing kid comes up in the next two years). IMO Durant is a way better scorer than Lebron, but Lebron has the all around game.

tland22
07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
yea he will get a scoring title... Is he a better Scorer or do you guys think he will be a BETTER scorer than TMAC was in his prime? No, I personally dont think so. But He will be almost if not just as good...

i love Durant...my boy!

Kenny
07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
right now he is soft and his defense is very poor.. He is not a player at this point that can lift his team to win games.... Too me thats the most important thing in a player

Raptors27
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Durant is insane. The kid has serious skills. He will be a scoring champ and franchise type of player. Possible MVP.

Bruno
07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
If the Thunder still can't score next year, don't be surprised to see him putting up over 30 a game. In fantasy next year, LeBron Wade and Paul are the only player I'll pick in front of Durant next year in fantasy.

SteveNash
07-09-2009, 07:20 PM
27ppg on 48%FG, 9rpg, 3apg, 1spg, 1bpg

Bruno
07-09-2009, 08:52 PM
27ppg on 48%FG, 9rpg, 3apg, 1spg, 1bpg

I dono, that's only two points and three boards above what he did this year at 20 years old. His greatest numbers will be above this.

bumblebee
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
i live in seattle so it was an honor to have durants rookie season here in seattle. its sad to see the sonics leave. i really wish we can have them back but hopefully we have a team in the next 3-5 years and im for sure buying tickets to all the games the thunder come down here. durant will be mvp in this league soon to come.. people say the thunder is a crappy team but the thunder is just like any other team thats trying to rebuild. of course the thunder is crappy as soon as kevin durant came in ray allen and rashard lewis left the team.. imagine those 3 on a team together...

SteveNash
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I dono, that's only two points and three boards above what he did this year at 20 years old. His greatest numbers will be above this.

As he gets more talent on the team, he's not going to be able to hog the ball as much.

kbaxter34
07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
As he gets more talent on the team, he's not going to be able to hog the ball as much.

He doesn't hog the ball to begin with Wade, LBJ, Kobe, Dirk, and Granger all take more shots then he does

dsickich123
07-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I am probably one of the biggest Durant fans and OKC thunder fans....
and I do think that Durant's peak is limitless...
but as much as I want to throw out these crazy stats I really do not think they are possible...
here is the reason....

The Thunder are loaded with young talent and already have 4 players that COULD score 20ppg...
These players are Durant, Westbrook, Green, and Harden...
Now with Durant on the team there is obviously no possible way for this to happen...
We would be lucky if two of them scored 20ppg...
But the other two will for sure average at least 15ppg...

My prediction:

Westbrook:18ppg
Harden:16ppg
Green:17ppg

(AND THEY WILL ONLY IMPROVE)

that Leaves Durant with 35ppg? come on now guys...
That means that those four score 86 points per game on the team...?
and the rest of the 6 or 7 players combine for 10-15ppg....?
There is no way...

With all of the young talent on the Thunder...I can see Durant averaging maybe 28ppg 8 rpg, 4ast, and 2 steals...... while shooting around 50% from the field and a little over 40% from the three....

kbaxter34
07-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I am probably one of the biggest Durant fans and OKC thunder fans....
and I do think that Durant's peak is limitless...
but as much as I want to throw out these crazy stats I really do not think they are possible...
here is the reason....

The Thunder are loaded with young talent and already have 4 players that COULD score 20ppg...
These players are Durant, Westbrook, Green, and Harden...
Now with Durant on the team there is obviously no possible way for this to happen...
We would be lucky if two of them scored 20ppg...
But the other two will for sure average at least 15ppg...

My prediction:

Westbrook:18ppg
Harden:16ppg
Green:17ppg

(AND THEY WILL ONLY IMPROVE)

that Leaves Durant with 35ppg? come on now guys...
That means that those four score 86 points per game on the team...?
and the rest of the 6 or 7 players combine for 10-15ppg....?
There is no way...

With all of the young talent on the Thunder...I can see Durant averaging maybe 28ppg 8 rpg, 4ast, and 2 steals...... while shooting around 50% from the field and a little over 40% from the three....

Its not out of the question. If you look at the Heat, Wade scored 30 and then there were 5 other players in double figures, almost 6. There are plenty of points to go around.

DCB/LAL
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Give him time man he's been in the league two years you know Lebron missed the playoffs his first 2 years although they almost made it his soph year but none the less missed the playoffs give him time then you can talk.

FlakeyFool
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
rapschamp does have a point, he does play on a ****** team, so his numbers will be better

DCB/LAL
07-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok one thing people need to realize is alot of these big name players obviously played on bad teams seeing as how most of them were all high draft picks which would mean that their team was in the lottery. You cant say this guy is only getting these numbers because he plays for a weak team look at morrison what did he do playing with the bobcats remember people just cause he is playing on a bad team doesnt mean he is playing against a bad team. So good team bad team the numbers this guy puts up are simply Amazing!!!

dsickich123
07-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I wanna here more on this...
more opinions

Bruno
07-11-2009, 11:34 PM
His peak? To the moon.

arkanian215
07-11-2009, 11:46 PM
durant's rebs have more to do with lack of rebounding ability by okc's centers than his own ability to go get the ball, imo. nenad will fix those numbers hopefully.

jdricks
07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Expect him to be in the conversation of the best player in the nba soon. And by soon I mean 6 years. And by 6 years I mean 3 years. He has the potential to be the best. Player of our generation. I wouldn't doubt him averaging a double double. He is just that good.

Uz13
07-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Expect him to be in the conversation of the best player in the nba soon. And by soon I mean 6 years. And by 6 years I mean 3 years. He has the potential to be the best. Player of our generation. I wouldn't doubt him averaging a double double. He is just that good.

Yes. Underrated to say the least
+1

theuuord
07-12-2009, 12:54 AM
i hate the whole "being on a bad team makes your numbers great" argument.
there are only TWO things that positively affects, and that's:

a) raw offensive rebound numbers (more team missed shots)
b) raw point totals (more shot opportunities for stars)

other than that, your defensive rebounds go down, your assist totals go down, your field goal percentage goes down (due to the volume of shots), your turnovers go up, and everything else will be about the same.

Also, rapschamp: how the hell would LeBron average more assists on a worse team?

skinsfan4life80
07-12-2009, 09:39 AM
KD is a beast. In 3 years he may be the best player in the NBA

thatmediadude
07-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Glad he's in OKC and he "loves it here". Harden is the perfect compliment to him.. Westbrook knows now to just "get it to 35 when it's crunch time". KD will be a starter on the Western Conference All Star teams for years and years to come.. He's got a unique game... Such a joy to watch.

27.5ppg/7.5reb/4.5ast
is my projection for this next season.

madiaz3
07-12-2009, 10:34 AM

x2