PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Closing In On Iverson

phlp_bj
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley wants to meet with Allen Iverson and is seriously considering a one-year, $5 million offer, according to team insiders.

The Memphis front office is split on whether or not signing Iverson would be a wise move. The final decision will rest with Heisley.

The Grizzlies would make clear to Iverson that he would be sent home or banished for any perceived act of insubordination.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jul/08/memphis-grizzlies-considering-1-year-5-million-off/

masalex1205
07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Wow, Randolph and Iverson on the same team. Memphis will be the frontrunner for most dysfunctional team of the year award.

capecodcrusher
07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Iverson is basically washed up. The guy doesn't even know there are 4 other guys on the floor with him.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
why would memphis do this. Why take PT away from Mayo and Conley to get this done?? Makes no sense other than to sell tickets.

S-Dot
07-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, Randolph and Iverson on the same team. Memphis will be the frontrunner for most dysfunctional team of the year award.

Yeah; this will really hold back Mayo and Gay's improvement next season if it were to happen

phlp_bj
07-09-2009, 10:34 AM
so it'll be:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: O.J Mayo
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Hasheem Thabeet

Hustla23
07-09-2009, 10:38 AM
why would memphis do this. Why take PT away from Mayo and Conley to get this done?? Makes no sense other than to sell tickets.

That seems like a reasonable motive considering the state of the market.

At the same time, Iverson at this stage of his career isn't exactly something to buy courtside seats for....

I'd much rather watch O.J. Mayo play than Iverson.

Memphis is going nowhere with this move.

I understand the Randolph trade as he's still fairly young (27) and gives them offensive post scoring, but Iverson is as big a misfit as can possibly be for this team.

Horrible move for Memphis. They're not competing at all this year, this move makes no sense. Takes away playing time from the young guys, wastes money, causes all sorts of problems.

24>23
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
A.I. needs to try and get to Miami with D-Wade...I think he'll be a better fit there. Especially if the Grizzlies are already talking about covering themselves and sending the man home before he even signed a contract.

masalex1205
07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
^Disagree, they need to develop Chalmers, he's their PG of the future

Ace33Bone
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah; this will really hold back Mayo and Gay's improvement next season if it were to happen

Not only will it hold back their improvement it will probably make both of them want to leave the system. I just feel that the best bet for AI is to go back to Philly and rekindle what he once helped build there

capecodcrusher
07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
True. Iverson will have 95% of the touches. That would kill Mayo's and Rudy's game.

24>23
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
^Disagree, they need to develop Chalmers, he's their PG of the future

That's true, but D-Wade is threatening to leave if Riley doesn't show him something this season. Chalmers is not what he was talking about, I don't think. Iverson is a tough fit anywhere, but I'd like to see him and D-Wade in the backcourt...that would be interesting. Too bad neither of them is big enough to play SF.

capecodcrusher
07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
D-Wade and Iverson would be may to much speed for a lot of teams to defend against.

S-Dot
07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
That's true, but D-Wade is threatening to leave if Riley doesn't show him something this season. Chalmers is not what he was talking about, I don't think. Iverson is a tough fit anywhere, but I'd like to see him and D-Wade in the backcourt...that would be interesting. Too bad neither of them is big enough to play SF.

he will fit in back at Philly with Eddie Jordan's offense. They could use a scoring PG, and it looks like Andre Miller isn't resigning. Plus Philly probably loves him the most

24>23
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
he will fit in back at Philly with Eddie Jordan's offense. They could use a scoring PG, and it looks like Andre Miller isn't resigning. Plus Philly probably loves him the most

Andre Miller will probably be back in Philly...who else is going to give him anything more than a mid-level deal? I'll believe he's leaving when he signs with another team.

PBG
07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Iverson = a virus

Lakerfan8032
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
To me, Iverson's future lies as being a dynamic 6th man for a contender. This only can happen if he can accept the fact that he is not the player he once was but as of now I don't see that if he is considering signing with Memphis. It could be he is getting few offers from any one except for around $2 million, I don't know. He should not be concerned with the biggest offer he can get since he has made so much money in the past. I would assume that a ring would be important but it may not be more important than money to him.

Artest is a good example. He has made substantially less money than Iverson has through-out his career but has made it clear that winning is more important than a huge contract. $5.8 million dollars is a lot of money to be sure but less than he could have gotten if it was all about money.

It's doubtful that Iverson's ego will let him embrace the fact that he is not the man but maybe he will accept it and be a super-sub for some team in the future. We'll all know in a few years.

JDizzle
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
A.I is not going to go to memphis he will end up along side of dwade trust me dwade wants him alls pat riley has to do is give it the ok and if pat riley wants to keep him around he will do what dwade says

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 11:57 AM
If I were Iverson or any team I would take him back on Denver.

what54!?
07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Iverson,randolph,gay,mayo? won't be enough balls to go around. That team would go nowhere fast