PDA

View Full Version : Blazers preparing (Big) offer to Millsap

Highlight
07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
The Blazers are said to be preparing an offer to Jazz free agent forward Paul Millsap, a restricted free agent.
The offer is said to be "toxic," designed to eliminate interest from other teams. Once an offer sheet is signed, the Jazz will have seven days to match it. Given the fact that it's "toxic," the Jazz are already well into the luxury tax, and they have Carlos Boozer for another year, they could be in a position to let Millsap walk.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/blazers_preparing_offer_for_ut.html

DerekRE_3
07-08-2009, 11:21 PM
I like this for the Blazers.

bball1217
07-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I wonder how much is "toxic"? 10 milion a year? or even 12 million a year?

Highlight
07-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I like this for the Blazers.

Yeah, Millsap will be willing to come off the bench and they won't lose a step when they rest Aldridge. Millsap can be a starter for most teams in the L in my opinion.

The only question is: How much is "toxic"?

DerekRE_3
07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Yep, I think having a big as good as Millsap to come off the bench is huge. Also, if Oden can't stay healthy, they could for stretches (depending on the matchup), but Aldridge at Center and have Millie play the 4. Then they still have Pyzbilla as well.

TheHoopsProphet
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Bad move. They're sole purpose in free agency was to ad veteran talent to lead this young team. Adding Paul Millsap to a frontcourt that already has Pryzbilla, Oden, and Aldrige doesnt make sense. Unless they are planing to package one of the three out for some veteran talent. Otherwise, bad move. Bad, bad move.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Good. Leave Odom with no options. I like it

Highlight
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM

Haha, yeah, good for LA

DerekRE_3
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah, Millsap will be willing to come off the bench and they won't lose a step when they rest Aldridge. Millsap can be a starter for most teams in the L in my opinion.

The only question is: How much is "toxic"?

This much. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIytHD5v9c)

GSW fan
07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
yea... good move, but odom would be a better fit. since they need a little more at 3 and 4

GSW fan
07-08-2009, 11:31 PM
This much. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIytHD5v9c)

:laugh:

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Good!

kswissdaf
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Millsap is a beast surprised he hasnt signed with anyone

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Yep, I think having a big as good as Millsap to come off the bench is huge. Also, if Oden can't stay healthy, they could for stretches (depending on the matchup), but Aldridge at Center and have Millie play the 4. Then they still have Pyzbilla as well.
Why would they pay so much money for a backup?? If they pay all this money, he could be starting...

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Why do they need Millsap if they have Aldridge? They should just get Odom.

RISE ABOVE
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
yea... good move, but odom would be a better fit. since they need a little more at 3 and 4

GSW good to see you here man. Thanks for the sig. I'm a Laker fan so this is good news to me because it means we have a better chance to retain Odom. We can't lose the candy man.

kblo247
07-08-2009, 11:45 PM
They will let Joel go in a trade for a PG as defensive bigs are hard to come by and likely try to mimic the Lakers big rotation

Milsap -PF
Aldridge - PF/C
Oden - C

Sounds like a light version of

Odom - PF
Gasol - PF/C
Bynum - C

To me

kblo247
07-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Also, Odom doesn't quite get along with Aldridge or Roy

Jahari Kavi
07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Bad move. They're sole purpose in free agency was to ad veteran talent to lead this young team. Adding Paul Millsap to a frontcourt that already has Pryzbilla, Oden, and Aldrige doesnt make sense. Unless they are planing to package one of the three out for some veteran talent. Otherwise, bad move. Bad, bad move.

makes plenty of sense.....I would do this in a heartbeat if I were portland.......

abe_froman
07-09-2009, 01:05 AM
way to much for a lma back up..unless they arent planning on lma being there long term

Itown in Cali
07-09-2009, 01:13 AM
uhmmm... sounds like Milsap's agent wrote this article and then shipped to a real reporter.

KG2TB
07-09-2009, 01:18 AM
How much can a toxic offer be for someone to backup Aldridge?? 8 mil? 9 mil? If this is true, I hate this move because now the Jazz would keep Boozer for sure and the Bulls won't have chance to get em. Doesn't make sense though...Milsap can start on most teams why would he go to Portland and play limited minutes?

D-Will4Prez
07-09-2009, 01:19 AM
If the Blazers offer Millsap a 5yr50mil contract and Jazz offer 5yr45mil, would he be more inclined to take a paycut in order to start after next year?

TheHoopsProphet
07-09-2009, 01:30 AM
makes plenty of sense.....I would do this in a heartbeat if I were portland.......

that's your counterargument? put a sock in it!

JerseysFinest
07-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Why do they need Millsap if they have Aldridge? They should just get Odom.

yep

BigDaddyKaine
07-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Good this would just eliminate another team Odom can go to

BigDaddyKaine
07-09-2009, 01:48 AM
If the Blazers offer Millsap a 5yr50mil contract and Jazz offer 5yr45mil, would he be more inclined to take a paycut in order to start after next year?

Yea but he would play for a better team in Portland there is Pros and Cons for both arguements

kblo247
Honestly Milsap may go to Portland and then they will probably trade

Joel to Houston for Battier and shop around for a PG or start Rudy and Roy

kblo247
Yea but he would play for a better team in Portland there is Pros and Cons for both arguements

Management is also different now w/o Miller

Iron24th
07-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Good news for Portland and L.A (Odom),but very bad news for Utah,they were barely the 8th seed last year with him,without him they can miss the playoffs.

Iron24th
07-09-2009, 02:03 AM
They will let Joel go in a trade for a PG as defensive bigs are hard to come by and likely try to mimic the Lakers big rotation

Milsap -PF
Aldridge - PF/C
Oden - C

Sounds like a light version of

Odom - PF
Gasol - PF/C
Bynum - C

To me

Exactly,with the advantage going to L.A with L.O who is a better all around player,more versatile.

IversonIsKrazy
07-09-2009, 02:17 AM
they should use their money towards a veteran PG. I mean why would you pay $9M + towards a player who will back-up ur second best player on the team? That just doesnt make sense to me. I think they should've made a hard push for Bibby, now their PG choices are ran out, and they should just trade Travis Outlaw for Kirk Hinrich. Then sign a SF. But i dont understand y they would want Milsap.

KG2TB
07-09-2009, 02:24 AM
they should use their money towards a veteran PG. I mean why would you pay $9M + towards a player who will back-up ur second best player on the team? That just doesnt make sense to me. I think they should've made a hard push for Bibby, now their PG choices are ran out, and they should just trade Travis Outlaw for Kirk Hinrich. Then sign a SF. But i dont understand y they would want Milsap.

Why would the Bulls do this? Outlaw is a SF and we already have Deng and James Johnson at that spot. Also, Salmons I'm sure will see some minutes there as well. Outlaw can't play SG...maybe for short stints but he's not a SG by any means. Unless you're suggesting we trade Deng...

sargon21
07-09-2009, 04:14 AM
this would be a great pickup for portland

Trouble87
07-09-2009, 04:38 AM
good pick up and I'm glad they're staying away from Lee

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2009, 04:50 AM
I read an article saying the Blazers decided against making an offer to David Lee because he wanted big money and would be a backup. I find it hard to believe they feel differently about Millsap.

ElMarroAfamado
07-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Good this would just eliminate another team Odom can go to

niiiice riiiide
:cool:

blackjack_119
07-09-2009, 05:06 AM
I think that this is a great move because it opens up many more options for Portland down the road.

No one objects to the style of play Millsap offers because it is exactly what Portland needs (low post scorer/rebounder who brings toughness to a soft/jump shooting team) Many people seem to object to the amount of the contract.

The large contract is actually useful for Portland because they have no large contracts on their roster. Having no large contracts makes it difficult to get fair value for a player on a rookie contract. Players like Rudy Fernandez, Nicolas Batum and Jerryd Bayless could garner a lot of NBA talent, but because of their small contracts, packaging all three players together could only net an NBA player making the MLE. If you can package the Blazers young talent with a very talented Millsap making $10M/yr, Portland would then be able to trade that group for a player who makes close to $20M.

This trade gives them the ideal backup PF (who will cost them more than they would like) and could ultimately net a star at PG or SF to go along with Roy, Aldridge or Oden. Imagine what kind of player Portland could get in exchange for their bench:
Portland offers:
Millsap $10M
Outlaw $3.6M
Fernandez $1.2
Bayless $2.1M

Portland Recieves:
The star of any team looking to rebuild at the deadline

This is the last time Portland will be under the cap for the next decade. They are overpaying for a great piece who could ultimately net them a star.

Wizard of O's
07-09-2009, 05:22 AM

he could feel disrespected by the lakers and take the rockets MLE

BoltLakerPadre
07-09-2009, 05:33 AM
he could feel disrespected by the lakers and take the rockets MLE

hahahaha. No, his agent is a douche like David Lee.

nycericanguy
07-09-2009, 08:44 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/blazers_preparing_offer_for_ut.html

After a series of trades fell through this week, the Trail Blazers have settled on their next target: Utah power forward Paul Millsap.

Although Millsap is a restricted free agent, meaning the Jazz can match any offer, the Blazers are preparing what one source called a "toxic" offer designed to exterminate interest from other teams.

Millsap, 24, is a bruising and active player who excels at rebounding. Despite being only 6-foot-8, Millsap last season used his 250-pound frame to average 13.5 points and 8.6 rebounds in 30.1 minutes per game. His 3.3 offensive rebounds per game ranked fourth in the NBA and his 251 offensive rebounds ranked sixth.

If Millsap signs an offer sheet accepting the Blazers' deal, Utah will have seven days to match the offer. The Jazz is already facing the luxury tax next season with a team salary of more than $73 million. Their finances, and prospects of competing with a lucrative offer to Millsap, took a hit last week when Carlos Boozer ($12.6 million), Mehmet Okur ($9 million) and Kyle Korver ($5.1 million) all exercised options to stay in Utah.

The Blazers figure to exhaust nearly all of their cap space to lock up Millsap. They are $7.7 million under the cap, but can gain an additional $1.65 million by renouncing the rights to Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland. However, in the process, the Blazers would be assessed with a roughly $450,000 cap hold for having less than 11 players, thus giving them $8.9 million in cap space.

Tblaze
07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Exactly,with the advantage going to L.A with L.O who is a better all around player,more versatile.

yeah cause the rest of the bench is equal too?

Farmar, Vujacic, Walton, Mbenga, Brown.......

Bayless, Fernandez, Batum, Webster, Outlaw, Przybilla

1st to 3rd
07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Looking more and more like Lee will be back next year.

Hustla23
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
That means David Lee has run out of suitors for the most part.

Noiceee

capecodcrusher
07-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Millsap is real solid. The guy is a grinder and can bang the boards all night. Excellent bench aquisition.

HT9Canada
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Millsap will play both the 3 and 4 in Portland. I see the team using him to back up Aldridge and whoever starts at the 3. Could even be Millsap. This obviously doesn't hurt Portland. They have more depth (not that they needed it) and they still stay young. If they keep this team in the playoffs they will be fine, if they decide to make a run for the title, they will trade some young studs for a veteran PG or SF.

kdman77
07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I think that this is a great move because it opens up many more options for Portland down the road.

No one objects to the style of play Millsap offers because it is exactly what Portland needs (low post scorer/rebounder who brings toughness to a soft/jump shooting team) Many people seem to object to the amount of the contract.

The large contract is actually useful for Portland because they have no large contracts on their roster. Having no large contracts makes it difficult to get fair value for a player on a rookie contract. Players like Rudy Fernandez, Nicolas Batum and Jerryd Bayless could garner a lot of NBA talent, but because of their small contracts, packaging all three players together could only net an NBA player making the MLE. If you can package the Blazers young talent with a very talented Millsap making $10M/yr, Portland would then be able to trade that group for a player who makes close to $20M.

This trade gives them the ideal backup PF (who will cost them more than they would like) and could ultimately net a star at PG or SF to go along with Roy, Aldridge or Oden. Imagine what kind of player Portland could get in exchange for their bench:
Portland offers:
Millsap $10M
Outlaw $3.6M
Fernandez $1.2
Bayless $2.1M

Portland Recieves:
The star of any team looking to rebuild at the deadline

This is the last time Portland will be under the cap for the next decade. They are overpaying for a great piece who could ultimately net them a star.

I understand where you're coming from but would it be wise for a franchise trying to clean up its image (Jail Blazers) to (1) screw up another franchise with a toxic pill and (2) screw up a player by signing him as a free agent and ship him out right away (within the same year) at the same time?

The Blazers have been doing all the right moves lately and I doubt they'll do something to jeopardize their relationship with other teams and potential FAs.

If, like many posters have said, Millsap has the opportunity to start elsewhere and chooses to sign with the Blazers and potentially come off the bench, it would be a low blow to trade him off for "star" value IMO.

blackjack_119
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I understand where you're coming from but would it be wise for a franchise trying to clean up its image (Jail Blazers) to (1) screw up another franchise with a toxic pill and (2) screw up a player by signing him as a free agent and ship him out right away (within the same year) at the same time?

The Blazers have been doing all the right moves lately and I doubt they'll do something to jeopardize their relationship with other teams and potential FAs.

If, like many posters have said, Millsap has the opportunity to start elsewhere and chooses to sign with the Blazers and potentially come off the bench, it would be a low blow to trade him off for "star" value IMO.

If I were in Millsap's predicament, I would be thrilled that the Blazers would do that. Millsap has the ability to start for several teams in the league. Unfortunately, most of those teams can only pay him $6M/yr. Portland offers him the contract he wants ($10M/yr) but forces him to stay on the bench.

If Portland gave him the contract he wanted and also gave him the ability to be a starter relatively quickly (through trade)... Isn't that exactly what Millsap wants?

blazerman
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
If I were in Millsap's predicament, I would be thrilled that the Blazers would do that. Millsap has the ability to start for several teams in the league. Unfortunately, most of those teams can only pay him $6M/yr. Portland offers him the contract he wants ($10M/yr) but forces him to stay on the bench.

If Portland gave him the contract he wanted and also gave him the ability to be a starter relatively quickly (through trade)... Isn't that exactly what Millsap wants?

If the Blazers do end up with Milsap, I doubt they would look to trade him anytime soon unless NJ or NO will deal Harris or Paul.

Keep in mind the Lakers have added Artest and come playoff time he will be a major force inside and out, adding Milsap could keep Artest and his defense off the perimeter(perimeter shooting is a blazer strength) and force him to guard low post more often. Toughness is a good buy with the cap money in my opinion and Id prefer a youthful banger that has some good playoff experience against the lakers already.

By adding Milsap to the Blazers frontcourt, will only mean more trouble inside for all western conference teams (Lakers would be the sole exception). The Spurs may have added a shooter in RJ and a decent but undersized McDyess at ctr( he wont fair to well at the ctr position against Oden and przybilla or the Lakers Bynum in the playoffs and will ultimately be a jumpshooting ctr and a liability on defense especially with Duncan having his hands full with Aldridge and hopefully Milsap). The Spurs are good but I would welcome a playoff series against them.

If the Blazers luck out and acquire Milsap then a deal for Blake and Outlaw for a point guard will follow(Miller or Hinrich most likely).

Boozer really hurt the Jazz by staying put because his big salary takes away Utah's ability match a big offer to Milsap and a Boozer trade wont lower the jazz's cap unless they could deal Boozer to OKC, which happens to have cap space, the Blazers should be able to clear the match offer period if they throw an offer at Milsap)