PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion to Dallas in 4-team deal with Magic, Grizz and Raps

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Shawn Marion has just accepted a 5 year 40 million dollar deal and will be shipped to dallas.
Link: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/08/marion.raptors/index.html

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
5 year 40 mil? Got him cheap

BTownTeamsRKing
07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
good. that means he isnt a laker, cav, magician, or spur.

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
yea, it was a great move by the mavs

Johann
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
good move...:confused:

so the raps only get money? are we gonna send the 3 mil to lenny dykstra.
the ideas keep flowing in...

kblo247
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
good move...:confused:

so the raps only get money? are we gonna send the 3 mil to lenny dykstra.
the ideas keep flowing in...

Fool,

You Get Michael Jordan

of Turkey that is ;)

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Solid Move, I think Mavs are in the Elite along with Lakeshow, Spurs, C's, Cavs and Magic.

Johann
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM

or the celtics, nets, knicks, bucks, raps, hornets, thunder, kings, clippers, griz, bulls, suns, wiz, bobcats, heat, 76ers, pistons, pacers, rockets, nuggets, tblazers, jazz, twolves, warriors or hawks.

dont wanna put any names out, do ya?

hes a maverick now. period.

madiaz3
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
What's their starting 5 going to look like?

Johann
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Fool,

You Get Michael Jordan

of Turkey that is ;)

huh?:confused::confused:

how be I a fool?

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 11:20 PM

It will probably be
PG- Jason Kidd
SG- Josh Howard
SF- Shawn Marion
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Marcin Gortat/ Erick Dampier

Johann
07-08-2009, 11:22 PM
^ now that aint bad...

BTownTeamsRKing
07-08-2009, 11:22 PM
yea, it was a great move by the mavs

On average:

Marion $8 mil per year

Verajoa $8.33 per year.

bravo ferry.

YankeeFan89
07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
It will probably be
PG- Jason Kidd
SG- Josh Howard
SF- Shawn Marion
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Marcin Gortat/ Erick Dampier

solid with terry of the bench...is bass coming back?

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Thats the deal Odom should get. Thank you Marion for setting the standard. But Odom should only get 3 years

kswissdaf
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Dallas

Kidd
Terry?
Howard
Marion
Dirk

Not bad

JM09
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Solid Move, I think Mavs are in the Elite along with Lakeshow, Spurs, C's, Cavs and Magic.

How? They still lack a true starting PG that can play heavy minutes. They also lack inside scoring. It's common for amateurs to go just on talent, but it's a crucial mistake. The mavs already have josh howard and yes, Marion is better than Howard. But the point is, they addressed something that didn't need to be addressed. They still lack a PG to carry them all the way to and through the playoffs, and they still lack a dominant force.

MaHaRaJaH
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Good for Marion.

JM09
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Dallas

Kidd
Terry?
Howard
Marion
Dirk

Not bad

Yeah not bad in terms of individual talent and skill. But with this team, they still dont have a chance at a Finals appearance. Like I said before, no inside scoring, and new PG to carry them to the END of the season and INTO and THROUGH the playoffs. Kidd is still solid, but damn old

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
How? They still lack a true starting PG that can play heavy minutes. They also lack inside scoring. It's common for amateurs to go just on talent, but it's a crucial mistake. The mavs already have josh howard and yes, Marion is better than Howard. But the point is, they addressed something that didn't need to be addressed. They still lack a PG to carry them all the way to and through the playoffs, and they still lack a dominant force.
What are you talking about? With this trade they basically addressed the SG position by potentially moving howard to the SG spot. Also, what makes you think that jason kidd wont be able to play long mintues when he averaged 35.6 minutes a game last year.

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Mavs need Shawn Bradley

Acekicker123
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Several other players including the Raptors' Kris Humphries, and the Mavericks' Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George and Antoine Wright are part of the trade according to sources. The Grizzlies will be getting Stackhouse and cash, sources said. George and Wright will end up in Toronto according to the same sources. Humphries is on his way to Dallas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4314637

x_notorious
07-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Good move by Dallas and I like the way the team is shaping out..

Kidd
Howard
Marion
Dirk
Gortat

6th man: Jet

Top 5 team in the West with their off-season moves, IMO.

TheHoopsProphet
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow is that cheap. Makes me almost wish the Lakers should have gone after him instead of $10 million, inconsistent, injury-prone, Odom....almost.

kblo247
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Good move by Dallas and I like the way the team is shaping out..

Kidd
Howard
Marion
Dirk
Gortat

6th man: Jet

Top 5 team in the West with their off-season moves, IMO.

I agree

I think there bench will be rounded out with -
Dampier
JJ
Ross

And that Kidd/Terry/Howard/Marion/Dirk will finish games

They will be the 4th seed IMO

Beno7500
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
got him cheap

kblo247
07-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Wow is that cheap. Makes me almost wish the Lakers should have gone after him instead of $10 million, inconsistent, injury-prone, Odom....almost.

So you rather have the man who Lamar makes his ***** whenever they match up :confused:

DRE'-MAC
07-08-2009, 11:52 PM
"Rapts have worked sign-and-trade with Orl. for Turkoglu that will allow it to complete the 3 team deal with Mavs for Marion, source says."- Tweeted by yahoo sports 15 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/YahooSportsNBA

J_M_B
07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Kidd
Howard
Marion
Nowitzki
Gorat
6th-Terry

solid 5 and 6th man, but I'm not sure I'm sold on Howard at the 2 spot. Though definitely top 5 team in the West. Too go along with the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, and Blazers.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Shawn Marion is the worst player in the NBA. SO OVERATED!!!!! Watch Mavs fans you're gonna hate him, he always misses easy layups (it looks like he is scared to miss) and he is extremely unclutch

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
He is nasty at rebounding and defense though, but offensively i think im better....no joke

TheHoopsProphet
07-09-2009, 12:06 AM
So you rather have the man who Lamar makes his ***** whenever they match up :confused:

whatth- no! I never said that!

kblo247
07-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Kidd
Howard
Marion
Nowitzki
Gorat
6th-Terry

solid 5 and 6th man, but I'm not sure I'm sold on Howard at the 2 spot. Though definitely top 5 team in the West. Too go along with the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, and Blazers.

Howard played some 2 in that season with Walker and Jamison and excelled at it

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 12:12 AM
The Dallas Mavericks have reached agreement to acquire Shawn Marion(notes) in a sign-and-trade deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources said Wednesday.

The Mavericks and Raptors recruited the Orlando Magic and Memphis Grizzlies to help facilitate the deal. The Raptors will get Hedo Turkoglu in a sign-and-trade deal with the Magic rather than signing him outright. They also will receive forwards Devean George and Antoine Wright from the Mavericks.

Stackhouse will go to the Grizzlies, who will waive him. Only $2 million of Stackhouse’s $7 million contract for next season is guaranteed.

Toronto sends a trade exception to Orlando. The Mavericks also will receive forward Kris Humphries from the Raptors.

The Dallas Morning News first reported the Mavericks were nearing a deal for Marion, describing the trade as “on the lip of the cup.”

BC is a GENIUS!!!

The Raps get their MLE back since they are trading for Turkoglu.

And he replaces Hump with 2 players for depth.

tkshy
07-09-2009, 12:23 AM
I had my doubts, but BC may be a genius. First Otis from ORL said that would not be in a sign and trade and there he is. Then BC replaces Kris Humphries with George and Wright as exp. vets off the bench. Pretty good job there. PLUS by having Turk as a s&t he gets his MLE to sign more depth. Not to shabby.

kblo247
Calderon
----
Hedo
Bosh
Barns

Banks - back up 1
Wright - back up 2 and 3
George - back up 3 and 4
Evans - back up 5

All they need is a starting SG or SF - Go get Grant Hill for cheap to provide leadership

aman_13
BC is the best. I can't believe we got the MLE back!!!

asmarks18
07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Howard will be fine at shooting guard. Teams use small forwards all the time at sg for the best interest of the team. Iggy plays sg when hes really a sf and Artest played sg when Tmac went down and Battier played the 3 right?

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Calderon
----
Hedo
Bosh
Barns

Banks - back up 1
Wright - back up 2 and 3
George - back up 3 and 4
Evans - back up 5

All they need is a starting SG or SF - Go get Grant Hill for cheap to provide leadership

Dont forget DeRozan.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Dont forget DeRozan.

Oh well, I answered my own question.

I think he will take time for his game to transfer though

clutchski
07-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I had my doubts, but BC may be a genius. First Otis from ORL said that would not be in a sign and trade and there he is. Then BC replaces Kris Humphries with George and Wright as exp. vets off the bench. Pretty good job there. PLUS by having Turk as a s&t he gets his MLE to sign more depth. Not to shabby.

everything we wanted (well almost...banks . . . :D)

#1Mavericksfan
07-09-2009, 12:34 AM
BC is a GENIUS!!!

The Raps get their MLE back since they are trading for Turkoglu.

And he replaces Hump with 2 players for depth.

Hold on the Mavs get Kris Humphries also?...

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Yea. We needed to keep cap space freed up to sign Turk, so we had to throw in Hump. You should be very happy, you could of had the immortal Marcus Banks..

Jonathan2323
07-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Marion is overrated. he is not that good anymore

#1Mavericksfan
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
If I could say thank you to Hedo I would...without Hedo going to the Raptors the Mavs would have never has a chance in hell to get Marion.

#1Mavericksfan
07-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Marion is overrated. he is not that good anymore

The Heat don't have a "true point guard" that's we you think he's "overrated".

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 12:43 AM
If I could say thank you to Hedo I would...without Hedo going to the Raptors the Mavs would have never has a chance in hell to get Marion.

Raps fans are ecstatic too because we now have the MLE to use on a vet SG and to fill out our bench. We never thought we would be able to get it unless a S&T happened with Turk.

Works out pretty well for everybody

kblo247
07-09-2009, 12:47 AM
I wonder if the Magic agreed to the sign and trade because Dallas told them they could make a play for Bass w/o them stopping it

Jonathan2323
07-09-2009, 12:51 AM
The Heat don't have a "true point guard" that's we you think he's "overrated".

he cant create his own shot, You cringe evrytime he shoots. he can still rebound and play defense.

lou seone
07-09-2009, 12:59 AM
either wade verbably agree to sign sometime or trade him to the bulls for d.rose and others.you can't let a player walk away and not get anything and ruin your franchise for the next 8 years.all the teams are over paying for mediocre old talent only one (the lakers or celtics are going to be happy at the end with their free agent picks,the others are going to fall short of expectations and 90% of the teams are not going to have money to sign new free agents.i think there is a 5% lebron comes and 35 % bosh comes via trade or free agency.probably by the trade deadline.without that cap money the chances of those 2 are zero they will come here.riley knows what it takes and when to press the gas,wade has no prior experience in these free agent pick ups,riley just don't let wade walk away without compensation.you watch toronto will trade bosh by the trading deadlin if bosh doesn't agree verbably to resign next summer.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 01:29 AM
This trade is just as important for the Mavs as it is the raptors. The Raps and Colangelo now have the MLE back at their disposal. BC you are genius for working this out.

AI4MVP
07-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Shawn Marion will always be a Phoenix Sun to me, so im happy for him. Hes got a good deal with a good team that he can make a really good contribution too. I think the Mavs can play with anyone really.

lets just match them up with the world champion los angles lakers

Jason Kidd>Derek Fisher
Josh Howard<Kobe Bryant
Shawn Marion=Ron Artest(yup i said it. shawns just as good. it just shows how underrated he is)
Dirk Nowitzki=Pau Gasol(there both superior to eachother in different ways)
Marcin Gortat<Bynum by a small maargin

they both have very good benches as well

asmarks18
07-09-2009, 01:42 AM
^ no offense to you or Pau but I would say Dirk is better but not by much. Thats just my biased oppinion though. He was 1st team All NBA for a reason.

Lakers4ItAll
07-09-2009, 01:43 AM

Your joking right?

kblo247
07-09-2009, 01:45 AM
^ no offense to you or Pau but I would say Dirk is better. Thats just my biased oppinion though. He was 1st team All NBA for a reason.

Yet he cannot guard Pau

Kidd is better, but he much like Nash, Paul, and Deron has never dominated Fish.

The only guy who has ever gave him Hell is Parker

bogdanrom
07-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Wow. They got him CHEAP. Might I say but Dallas is looking kind of dangerous.

ntat
07-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Really, u think he went cheap? Im not arguing at all, i just thought marion's stats have dropped since leaving phoenix. i know he picked it back up for dallas though... maybe its a little cheap, but look at the low deals everyone is gettin. Artest went really cheap too...

Iron24th
07-09-2009, 01:49 AM

The cavs only needed him,cause when you have Artest,Carter or Jefferson,you don't need anyone else at starting SF.

Lakersfan2483
07-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Good move by Dallas, adding Marion should make them a stronger team.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 01:50 AM
The cavs only needed him,cause when you have Artest,Carter or Jefferson,you don't need anyone else at starting SF.

They need Grant Hill as Tony Allen sucks donkey balls

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Dallas wins the deal but Toronto comes out huge because of the trade. Could not be happier for Colangelo and the raptors.

Young2Kinsler
07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
I think this deal works out well on all ends. Toronto gets their MLE and some expirings, Memphis gets salary relief, Orlando gets a trade exception, and Dallas lands Marion and a pick. Also I think Humphries who could be at least some what of a backup at PF if Bass were to leave. I just hope we keep James Singleton

Kidd
Howard
Marion
Dirk
Dampier

With a bench of Terry, Barea, Gortat, Ross, Humphries. I like the new look, and also Dallas will still have Dampiers contract to trade next offseason.

asmarks18
07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Yet he cannot guard Pau

Kidd is better, but he much like Nash, Paul, and Deron has never dominated Fish.

The only guy who has ever gave him Hell is Parker

But hes never been known for his defense and hes still considered better than Pau by alot of people because of his ability to score. I am not bashing Pau, I think he is a great player and teammate. But Dirk is better than him.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 01:55 AM
But hes never been known for his defense and hes still considered better than Pau by alot of people because of his ability to score. I am not bashing Pau, I think he is a great player and teammate. But Dirk is better than him.

Dirk is a better talent and bigger star , but at the end of the day Pau is able to cancel him out out.

I agree that Dirk is better than him, but I hope you get what I am saying.

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Shawn Marion will always be a Phoenix Sun to me, so im happy for him. Hes got a good deal with a good team that he can make a really good contribution too. I think the Mavs can play with anyone really.

Jason Kidd>Derek Fisher
Josh Howard<Kobe Bryant
Shawn Marion=Ron Artest(yup i said it. shawns just as good. it just shows how underrated he is)

You can't be serious. Dirk is on a whole another level than Pau Gasol.

asmarks18
07-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Dirk is a better talent and bigger star , but at the end of the day Pau is able to cancel him out out.

I agree that Dirk is better than him, but I hope you get what I am saying.

I agree to that to some point. I look forward to a Lakers- Mavs Western Conference finals. Might be getting ahead of my self but that would be exciting.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 02:01 AM
I agree to that to some point. I look forward to a Lakers- Mavs Western Conference finals. Might be getting ahead of my self but that would be exciting.

:cheers: to that thought

IU Hoosiers 3
07-09-2009, 02:11 AM

I'd prefer to not have to deal with kobe haha but if this team can gel together than i think they have a very good shot.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 02:14 AM
I'd prefer to not have to deal with kobe haha but if this team can gel together than i think they have a very good shot.

Kobe - 62
Mavericks - 61

Through 3 quarters, Will never be forgotten :smoking:

asmarks18
07-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Sure it will. His 81 he dropped on Toronto made alot of people forget about what he did to the Mavs.

ko8e24
07-09-2009, 02:21 AM

The Toronto Raptors and Dallas Mavericks agreed in principle Wednesday night to a complicated four-team sign-and-trade deal including the Memphis Grizzlies and Orlando Magic that will land Shawn Marion in Dallas and Hedo Turkoglu in Toronto, sources close to the process told ESPN.com.

The teams have scheduled a trade call for Thursday.

The Raptors and Magic agreed to handle Turkoglu as a sign-and-trade for two reasons. First it allowed the Magic to acquire a significant $8 million plus trade exception. Second, it allowed the Raptors to retain their mid-level exception. The Raptors are now free to spend their full mid-level on another free agent.

Several other players including the Raptors' Kris Humphries and Quincy Douby, the Mavericks' Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George and Antoine Wright and the Grizzlies' Greg Buckner are part of the trade according to sources. The Grizzlies will be getting Stackhouse, Douby and cash, sources said. George and Wright will end up in Toronto, according to the same sources. Humphries and Buckner are on their way to Dallas.

Including Humphries, Wright and George in the deal gave the Raptors the financial incentive to do the sign-and-trade. Both George and Wright are in the last year of their contracts. Humphries has two years left on his current deal. In addition, the Raptors are in need of a two guard with the departure of Anthony Parker to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Adding Wright to the mix gives them a credible starter until rookie DeMar DeRozan is ready to contribute.

Dallas is hoping that the combination of Marion and Orlando restricted free agent Marcin Gortat -- along with the re-signing of Jason Kidd -- would greatly improve the depth and flexibility possessed by a team that won 50 games last season and advanced to the second round of the playoffs before losing to Denver.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban has said for months that he was prepared to be as aggressive as possible this summer as opposed to waiting for the free-agent bonanza of 2010, when Dallas was initially expected to have substantial cap space. Orlando retains the right to match any offer sheet to Gortat but the Magic are widely expected not to match.

Sources say that the Mavericks, meanwhile, are determined to keep Josh Howard even if a trade for Marion can be worked out, with Howard entering the final year of his contract. One potential drawback for Dallas is the fact that Marion would be yet another key member of their core over the age of 30, joining Nowitzki (31), Kidd (36), Jason Terry (31) and Howard (who turns 30 next April).

Sources say the Mavericks' plan is to play Marion at the three and move Howard to the two. The Mavs will also sport other looks with Howard at the three, Marion at the four and Nowitzki at the five.

Marion earned $17.8 million last season and was traded for the second straight February when Miami sent him to Toronto in a swap for Jermaine O'Neal. He went from Phoenix to Miami one year earlier in the Shaquille O'Neal trade.

The Raptors were intent on re-signing Marion if they couldn't win the Turkoglu sweepstakes, seeing late-season signs of promise in Marion's collaboration alongside Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani. Sources say that the Cavaliers, despite their recent pursuits of Trevor Ariza and Ron Artest and a well-chronicled need for a combo forward, were not making a hard push for Marion.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Its already been posted..

Derick713
07-09-2009, 02:28 AM

Jason Kidd/Jose Juan Barea
Josh Howard/Jason Terry/
Shawn Marion/Quentin Ross/
Dirk Nowitzki/Brandon Bass/
Marcin Gortat/Erick Dampier/

Not Great Shooting on the floor with Dirk and Josh. Great Defensive/hustle type players though.

*Superman*
07-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Its a 10mill trade exception and cash for Orlando

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

BRICKCITYPIMP12
07-09-2009, 02:31 AM
good move for mavs. altho i would of rather seen marion goin somewhere else.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 02:36 AM
I totally see the Mavs and Magic agreeing on letting Gortat and Bass going to one another

ko8e24
07-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Its already been posted..

Ummm. it was a 3-team deal before with mavs, raps, and grizz, but now, orlando is in the mix by treating hedo turkoglu's new contract to the raps as a sign and trade to free up some cap space.

*Superman*
07-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I think the Magic were always in it, but no one knew.(thats how undercover our GM is.)lol

ko8e24
07-09-2009, 02:40 AM
I think the Magic were always in it, but no one knew.(thats how undercover our GM is.)lol

ya prolly lol

GSW fan
07-09-2009, 02:44 AM
so who is going where?

NFLNBA
07-09-2009, 02:45 AM

Jason Kidd>Derek Fisher
Josh Howard<Kobe Bryant

WOW! You cant be serious lol You cant just take each position and base it on who has the better player at that position.

Have you seen the Laker vs Mavs games the last couple years? Gasol dominates Dirk on the block and Gasol does a decent job on Dirk but doesnt guard him as much as Odom does and Odom plays him as good as anyone does.

Howard would get murdered by Kobe on iso's but the Mavs would def double him thats where Kobe is Kobe! He will either beat both the defenders or find the open guy

Marion is not as good as Artest, IMO not really that close either! Marion was only good in the Suns offense where it was a run and gun offense and all he did was catch lobs and sometimes hit that ugly shot. What has Marion done since leaving the Suns? Artest has been good where ever he has been! Artest 1 of only 5 guys in NBA history to ever ave 15, 6, and 2 steals a game for there careers alond with MJ, Pippen, Brent Berry dont remember the 4th player but it was on ESPN today
He has the better defense, better shot, better post game, and would physically pound Marion. Yes Marion can jump and is more athletic but isnt on the same all around level as Artest.

Gortat just a little better then Bynum? LOL When Bynum was healthy he was ave 16 pts 10 reb and 2 blocks a game and the 5 games before his injury was ave 23 13 3 or some krazy numbers. Yes Bynum is only a little better then Gortat when he only has 1 good knee lol

Kidd is by far the better player then Fisher but the Lakers dont need a Kidd type player in the triangle just a PG that can hit the 3 and hit those open BIG Shots that he tends to do! Kidd doesnt hurt the Lakers ever because he isnt quick and Fisher can stay in front of him.

Dont get me wrong the Mavs have a pretty good roster and starting 5 but not close to the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets- well if they have a Yao and T-Mac

Remember teams are ALWAYS cross-matching and when you have Kobe who always requires a double the other teams Defense is always in trouble.

*Superman*
07-09-2009, 02:50 AM
so who is going where?

Nice sig.;)

kblo247
07-09-2009, 02:51 AM
WOW! You cant be serious lol You cant just take each position and base it on who has the better player at that position.

Have you seen the Laker vs Mavs games the last couple years? Gasol dominates Dirk on the block and Gasol does a decent job on Dirk but doesnt guard him as much as Odom does and Odom plays him as good as anyone does.

Howard would get murdered by Kobe on iso's but the Mavs would def double him thats where Kobe is Kobe! He will either beat both the defenders or find the open guy

Marion is not as good as Artest, IMO not really that close either! Marion was only good in the Suns offense where it was a run and gun offense and all he did was catch lobs and sometimes hit that ugly shot. What has Marion done since leaving the Suns? Artest has been good where ever he has been! Artest 1 of only 5 guys in NBA history to ever ave 15, 6, and 2 steals a game for there careers alond with MJ, Pippen, Brent Berry dont remember the 4th player but it was on ESPN today
He has the better defense, better shot, better post game, and would physically pound Marion. Yes Marion can jump and is more athletic but isnt on the same all around level as Artest.

Gortat just a little better then Bynum? LOL When Bynum was healthy he was ave 16 pts 10 reb and 2 blocks a game and the 5 games before his injury was ave 23 13 3 or some krazy numbers. Yes Bynum is only a little better then Gortat when he only has 1 good knee lol

Kidd is by far the better player then Fisher but the Lakers dont need a Kidd type player in the triangle just a PG that can hit the 3 and hit those open BIG Shots that he tends to do! Kidd doesnt hurt the Lakers ever because he isnt quick and Fisher can stay in front of him.

Dont get me wrong the Mavs have a pretty good roster and starting 5 but not close to the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets- well if they have a Yao and T-Mac

I'm a Lakers fan, but a realist.

In reality, the Lakers and spurs are the top two teams out west and Dallas with the moves that they made and the Nuggets who will have a chip on their shoulder round out the top 4.

The Jazz simply aren't that good and haven't been ever since Fisher left them as they lack leadership

ManRam
07-09-2009, 02:55 AM
This is huge for the Magic. That 10 million TPE can be used on a free agent. Maybe now we can go after Odom or Lee for real, and not just dream about it. If we don't use it on a FA, it's a great year to have it, because mot teams are looking to shed cap, and now we don't have to worry about matching contracts. Can trade a guy like Redick and a pick for a big contract player.

Great move Otis!

GspLAL
07-09-2009, 03:53 AM

nope

GspLAL
07-09-2009, 03:54 AM

Remember teams are ALWAYS cross-matching and when you have Kobe who always requires a double the other teams Defense is always in trouble.

I commend you on your post but you just argued with a Kobe/Laker hater who thinks AI>Kobe.

Iron24th
07-09-2009, 04:14 AM

They need Grant Hill as Tony Allen sucks donkey balls

I was talking about Lakers, Cavs, Magic and Spurs only.

But yeah now you mention the celts,it's OK.

Dncehalldrug
07-09-2009, 04:31 AM
See this contract makes sense, with skills like Marion. Varejao's contract is complete sad, garbage player getting free money.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m210/d_julien/18e359fd46456e73e12e3a774877325cc5c.jpg

The fact that they confiscated the video makes it more embarrassing.:pity:

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 07:30 AM
This is huge for the Magic. That 10 million TPE can be used on a free agent. Maybe now we can go after Odom or Lee for real, and not just dream about it. If we don't use it on a FA, it's a great year to have it, because mot teams are looking to shed cap, and now we don't have to worry about matching contracts. Can trade a guy like Redick and a pick for a big contract player.

Great move Otis!

No.

It's a TRADE Exception. You can take on up to 10M up in salary from another team(s) through a trade, not through FA.

DreamShaker
07-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Bass will likely not be back...if this was 3 years ago that they had this team I would be impressed...but I don't see the point of getting Matrix...he is on the decline and really doesn't push them over the top in any way...

AlexTmz2
07-09-2009, 09:04 AM

JJ81
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Nice, he's not going to CLE.

AlexTmz2
07-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry already a thread about this. Ignore thread.
:)

primetime10
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
"The deal, according to sources, calls for the Mavericks to acquire Marion and Kris Humphries from Toronto and Greg Buckner from Memphis, with Marion to receive a five-year contract worth an estimated $39 million. Buckner has had two previous stints with the Mavericks but is likely to be released, sources said.

The Grizzlies will land Jerry Stackhouse from Dallas, Quincy Douby from Toronto and a substantial cash payment to buy out Stackhouse's contract. Only $2 million of Stackhouse's $7.25 million salary next season is guaranteed, as long as he is waived by Aug. 10.

The Raptors will receive Devean George and Antoine Wright from the Mavericks, while also preserving their $5.9 million mid-level exception for the coming season by turning their acquisition of Turkoglu -- who is getting a five-year deal worth an estimated $53 million -- into a sign-and-trade as opposed to an outright signing. Assembling the trade this way could also enable Toronto to re-sign Carlos Delfino, after it appeared that the Raptors would have to renounce Delfino to help make room for the Turkoglu signing.

The Magic, meanwhile, were motivated to join in the trade because their participation, as opposed to merely letting Turkoglu walk, will create a valuable trade exception they can use in future deals worth around $7 million."

-ESPN

I didn't this would shake out to include so many organizations and moves.

But with the resigning of Kidd, getting Marion, and potentially getting Gortat to replace the waste of 7 feet that is Erik Dampier, the Mavs look a hell of a lot better than I anticipated coming into the season.

Thoughts?

thepaul
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Marion is a very good player, but the mavs already have Josh Howard at SF, so...how can they coexist?

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Look through the forum next time, this has been posted numerous times...

Mikeleafs
07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
YankeeFan89[/B];10070736]solid with terry of the bench...is bass coming back?

HAHAHA!!

@ YankeeFan89... Your Sig is ****ING AMAZING!!!

How can I use that?

GHOSTSNIPER
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
T

I needed that laugh!...thanks.

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Marion is a very good player, but the mavs already have Josh Howard at SF, so...how can they coexist?

Josh howard will play sg and marion will play sf :)

ManRam
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
No.

It's a TRADE Exception. You can take on up to 10M up in salary from another team(s) through a trade, not through FA.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I've been reading otherwise elsewhere though...but every website I look at, it can't be used on FAs.

masalex1205
07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Why is everybody forgetting the Nuggets? Not much has changed except they are more experienced

Ace33Bone
07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
On average:

Marion $8 mil per year

Verajoa $8.33 per year.

bravo ferry.

I think you put it all into perspective with this.:up: I am a huge Cavs fan and all along I said let's get marion... but now we go and sign overpay Verajoa and then add the softy Channing Frye to the mix. This alone is why Cleveland will not win the east

akesh99
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
No.

Ya but they now have the option of making a sign and trade for any of the free agents on the market and don't have to match salaries

B2theRY
07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
You can't be serious. Dirk is on a whole another level than Pau Gasol.

Dirk and Pau are two different players
cant compare them.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Everyone's happy all around.

Dallas gets Marion and Humpries.
Toronto gets Turkaglu and 2 solid wings.
Memphis gets extra cap space and money.
Orlando gets a trade exception.

Seems fair all around but I think it helps us and Dallas the most because we get our MLE back and Dallas gets another star.

The ChILL
07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Solid move by Dallas. Not enough to win the West but you have to love the fact that Mark Cuban puts out a solid team year over year.

Wade_County
07-09-2009, 11:47 AM
wonder how marion is going to be the star of the team when hes behind dirk, howard, and kidd.

IBleedPurple
07-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Why is everybody forgetting the Nuggets? Not much has changed except they are more experienced

Only because they are likely waiting to make any other FA moves.

Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't make Dallas that much better? Indeed an upgrade, but Marion is pretty overrated IMO.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
People are forgetting the Nuggets because they already lost Daunhtey Jones and might lose Kleiza too.

Johann
07-09-2009, 12:16 PM
now the raps can get delfino...good...good.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-09-2009, 12:28 PM
J Ho+Dirk+Matrix that has the potench to be a scary trio.

L@ker4Life
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Injury prone??:confused:

This guy plays through everything and hardly gets injured....some people are just unbelieveable. :speechless:

L@ker4Life
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Solid move by Dallas. Not enough to win the West but you have to love the fact that Mark Cuban puts out a solid team year over year.

Thats the truth man....he is a great owner. Gortat is a decent developing player but not at the point where you can just drop it down to them in the post and let him go to work. their problem year after year is no post presence. I do like the pickup tho....maybe they become a run and gun team and can play small and hide their weakness in the post.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Only because they are likely waiting to make any other FA moves.

Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't make Dallas that much better? Indeed an upgrade, but Marion is pretty overrated IMO.

I think Gortat is overrated. LOL

Denver-boy
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
this trade sucks for the Magic... lose turk and get who???

ink
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Brilliant work by Colangelo to get the Raptors exceptions back so he can create a bench behind the starters.

IBleedPurple
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
People are forgetting the Nuggets because they already lost Daunhtey Jones and might lose Kleiza too.

We let Dahntay walk. JR Smith will be the likely starter, and hopefully Sonny Weems is the younger replacement for Jones. Kleiza is restricted, and we may be trading him for a SG or a big who can spread the floor on offense.

clutchski
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah now our team is going to look so much more solid on the bench in comparison to what we were talking about a week ago.

LA_Raiders
07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Good sign, Tor should have kept him for that $$$$

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
this trade sucks for the Magic... lose turk and get who???
Before the trade the magic were not going to get anybody and lose turk to the raptors (they were going to sign him). Now they get a large trade exception (8-9 million) that they can use to get a player from a team trying to shed cap space. What is better: Getting nothing or getting a trade exception that they can use in the future?

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Good sign, Tor should have kept him for that $$$$

It has been reported that the Raps offered him a 4 year/$36 million contract, didnt take it so we went after Hedo.

G-Bear
07-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Before the trade the magic were not going to get anybody and lose turk to the raptors (they were going to sign him). Now they get a large trade exception (8-9 million) that they can use to get a player from a team trying to shed cap space. What is better: Getting nothing or getting a trade exception that they can use in the future?

Agreed everyone is better from this trade, The Mavs and Raptors gain through the new guys whilst Magic & Grizz gain financially.

It's funny how some teams get raped when it's a one on one trade whilst this seems relatively fair for all involved. Just proves some GMs are cleverer than others I guess

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Agreed everyone is better from this trade, The Mavs and Raptors gain through the new guys whilst Magic & Grizz gain financially.

It's funny how some teams get raped when it's a one on one trade whilst this seems relatively fair for all involved. Just proves some GMs are cleverer than others I guess

What did the Grizz gain financially? Buckner was only partially guaranteed for $1 mil this coming season, now they got Stackhouse who has $2 mil guaranteed. Another puzzling move by the Grizz...

heyman321
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Bryan Colangelo is a pure genius. We get Turkoglu, get Wright and George, get rid of Humphries and Marion, AND we retain the MLE. AND Wright and George's contracts expire after this season, given that the Raptors do well the upcoming season and the economy, Chris Bosh will probably re-sign, I'm betting.

Nighthawk
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
And none of these teams will win anything

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
What did the Grizz gain financially? Buckner was only partially guaranteed for $1 mil this coming season, now they got Stackhouse who has $2 mil guaranteed. Another puzzling move by the Grizz...
Maybe they keep stackhouse as a veteran player off the bench? If they do keep him, stackhouse is better than buckner.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2009, 03:22 PM
So the final deal comes out to

Dallas
Marion
Humphries
Buckner

Toronto
George
Wright
Turk

Memphis
Stackhouse

Orlando
$7 mil trade exception

I say everyone won in this trade except Memphis. They got rid of Buckner ($1 mil guaranteed for Stack $2 mil) guaranteed. How nice of Memphis and gm Wallace to help out Dallas by participating in the trade and gaining nothing. Memphis is so generous, giving us Gasol and now this...

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe they keep stackhouse as a veteran player off the bench? If they do keep him, stackhouse is better than buckner.

I gurantee they don't keep him. Why pay someone $7 mil who has no future with the team, when you can save $5 mil by getting rid of him....

Nighthawk
07-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I gurantee they don't keep him. Why pay someone $7 mil who has no future with the team, when you can save $5 mil by getting rid of him....

Stacks getting cut

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
yea, he'll probably be cut... where do you think he'll end up?

North Yorker
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Dallas is giving cash (prolly 2M) to Memphis to pay for Stack.
Memphis also get Nathan Jawai, and a conditional 2nd from the Raps.

And apparently some Dallas fan says the Raps get their 1st rounder, but I havent seen that posted with any source.

Wilson
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
If the Mavs use Dirk and Marion as their main offensive threats, Josh Howard can be an incredible role player at SG. I'm interested to see how this will work out.

A Lakers/Mavs play-off series could be really fun with their new SFs.

bleedprple&gold
07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
yea, he'll probably be cut... where do you think he'll end up?

If a contending team like Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio doesn't show any interest in him, then I could see him retiring.

Steve Kerr
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Weren't the Bulls originally part of this four team trade. Anyone know what happened?

zambo4president
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
5 years 40 mil is a great deal. Mavs are looking competitive.

MajorFloridaFan
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM

--------------
Magic are trying to pry bass away from Dallas...and acquire Barnes and ratliff

Wilson
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Weren't the Bulls originally part of this four team trade. Anyone know what happened?

It said on ESPN.com that they were going to send Tim Thomas to Dallas before they dropped out of the deal. I didn't see why they dropped out though.

IBleedPurple
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
How nice of Memphis and gm Wallace to help out Dallas by participating in the trade and gaining nothing. Memphis is so generous, giving us Gasol and now this...

It's between Memphis, Minnesota, and New York for the worst FO

MajorFloridaFan
07-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I think Otis Smith Proved some worth...He was just going to Lose turk...Instead we got a 8-9 million dollar trade exemption we will use later in the year to gain another player as teams shed players for the oncoming free agency or lack of chance to compete for the final..We can end up trading Redick for someone making BIG money

Wilson
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I think Otis Smith Proved some worth...He was just going to Lose turk...Instead we got a 8-9 million dollar trade exemption we will use later in the year to gain another player as teams shed players for the oncoming free agency or lack of chance to compete for the final..We can end up trading Redick for someone making BIG money

It's a $7 million trade exemption. It should come in very handy for the Magic in the future.

MajorFloridaFan
07-09-2009, 04:49 PM
It's a $7 million trade exemption. It should come in very handy for the Magic in the future.

with a mill in cash considerations on top of it

randomness
07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Great for the Raptors!

Before:

Bargnani/O'Bryant/Jawai
Bosh/Evans/Humphries
Turkoglu/FA(for vets min)
DeRozan/Douby
Calderon/Ukic/Banks

With no MLE or LLE etc.. with only a vets min.

Now:

Bargnani/FA/O'Bryant
Bosh/Evans/Jawai
Turkoglu/George
Wright/DeRozan
Calderon/Ukic/Banks

With MLE, LLE and vets min.

Sportfan
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
mavs are olddd

good trade though terry now gets to go to the bench again

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I love this deal for the raptors...

dolfan720
07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
idk bout this

Verbal Christ
07-09-2009, 06:13 PM
cuban and his glitzy name recognition squads, hasnt he learned to get players that actually fit the scheme and not just get players because they once were good. thats what you get when you let your owner handle personnel.

Wilson
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
cuban and his glitzy name recognition squads, hasnt he learned to get players that actually fit the scheme and not just get players because they once were good. thats what you get when you let your owner handle personnel.

I don't think Marion is a bad fit. The Mavs should do fine offensively with Jason Kidd passing to Marion and Nowitzki, and they can play some great team defense with Kidd, Howard, Marion, Dirk and Gortat (if they get him).

cowboyz180
07-09-2009, 06:40 PM
If a contending team like Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio doesn't show any interest in him, then I could see him retiring.
or memphis could use him to trade with another team...