PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers close to contract agreement with Toronto free-agent guard Anthony Parker

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Source: Cleveland (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/cleveland_cavaliers_close_to_c.html)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cavaliers are on the verge of making their first free agent signing of the summer.
According to a league source, the team has agreed to the structure of a contract with veteran guard Anthony Parker. The deal is not finalized, but is expected to be completed in the next several days.

He fills a major need the Cavs have for a tall wing player and was one of the team's top off-season targets at the position. They have been in talks with him since the first day of free agency. They talked to the Raptors about a sign-and-trade, but when Toronto decided to sign Hedo Turkoglu the Cavs moved on to deal with Parker directly.

Parker is an athletic player who is effective at creating his own shot, which he did often in Europe when he became the Euroleague's Most Valuable Player, and as a spot-up shooter. He has also been an effective defensive player guarding tall wing players, which is what the Cavs most need.

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Ha, they are desperate.

BTownTeamsRKing
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Damn. this is a good move, meaning bad move for everyone else. I like Parker's game. Very solid shooter.

Duncan = Donkey
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Ha, they are desperate.

?? how??

they signed a solid role player

AMC31
07-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Ha, they are desperate.

How are we desperate?

PPG 10.7 - RPG 4.00 - APG 3.4 - SPG 1.2, plus he is a great shooter and hes clutch

NYtilIdie
07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Great pick up by the Cavs you replace Wally with an actual shooter. Can be a great 6th man

NYtilIdie
07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Ha, they are desperate.

Then I guess the Laker's are desperate too cause they got Artest whose better then Parker. How does making your team better a sign of being desperate?

kblo247
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
It also says they are close to re-signing Varajeo to be their PF

Not what they wanted but I guess it will do.

I wonder where Wally and Smith will end up?

AMC31
07-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Hopefully Joe will end up back with us, hes a pro, and Wally is definately gone....I hope

AMC31
07-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Joe will be back with the Cavs I would think, hes a pro and a good guy, and hopefull Wally goes elsewhere

BTownTeamsRKing
07-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Hopefully Joe will end up back with us, hes a pro, and Wally is definately gone....I hope

wally sucks. i hate that pathetic excuse for a baller. my hate for the Cavs will decrease dramatically (not that u care) if wally the professional brick thrower is gone.

altho i cant stand verajao or shaq so yea...

Joshtd1
07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Solid if it goes through. Solid defender, and someone who can shoot/score for themself.

Tommyh1331
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Damn Cleveland is desperate

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:04 PM
They are desperate in the sense that they are interested in mostly every player in FA...if you have been keeping up with FA, they have been interested in many players.

kblo247
07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
wally sucks. i hate that pathetic excuse for a baller. my hate for the Cavs will decrease dramatically (not that u care) if wally the professional brick thrower is gone.

altho i cant stand verajao or shaq so yea...

I'm not sure how Andy/Shaq/Lebron starting would work as no one can make a jumper consistently.

I would think that Smith would have to stay and start or that Lebron would be the PF with Parker starting at the SF spot

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
solid move for cavs

GSW fan
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Too bad they couldnt sign his sister, candace

kswissdaf
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
More help for LeBron but as long as Leloser is the best player on any team ANY TEAM he will never win a ring and i have been saying this for the longest time and i told everyone i knew The cavs would lose to the Magic Quote sig me on this ****

kswissdaf
07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
^Well of course unless David Stern lets him win which without a doubt in my mind he has fixed games

AMC31
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Damn Cleveland is desperate

They are desperate in the sense that they are interested in mostly every player in FA...if you have been keeping up with FA, they have been interested in many players.

More help for LeBron but as long as Leloser is the best player on any team ANY TEAM he will never win a ring and i have been saying this for the longest time and i told everyone i knew The cavs would lose to the Magic Quote sig me on this ****

http://www.joewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/haters-gonna-hate.gif

jayball41
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
If you have Parker at the 2 and Mo at the 1, as well as West off the bench, I think that is fine shooting-wise. They will be a Lebron-focused offense obviously though. But adding Parker to the mix will be good for Lebron's drive-and-kicks

DerekRE_3
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
He's a solid role player. Good shooter and defender.

kswissdaf
07-08-2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.joewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/haters-gonna-hate.gif

Fine u can call me a Hater but unless LeBron proves me Wrong im gonna keep on Hatin

Ragun
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
im going to miss AP :(

i wish he stays with us :(

THiiRTYONE
07-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Ha, they are desperate.

just got owned, all mans are tellin you off.
AP is a solid player, he was great for toronto. honestly speaking there is nothing really to go against him, just perhaps he's a bit old? but look at jason kid :p

IndiansFan337
07-09-2009, 12:07 AM
This would add some solid depth, but nothing spectacular. He'll play hard for Brown, and won't complain about a limited role on offense. We need some guys like that on this team full of scorers.

blah-blah
07-09-2009, 12:07 AM
how can they afford to do all of this especially if they just signed varejao

blah-blah
07-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Too bad they couldnt sign his sister, candace

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahha

clevelafan4life
07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
now we got parker lets get frye now

500 Level
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Good pickup for the Cavs, he doesnt do anything ridicliously well, doesn't do anything badly. As long as your not depending on him to be a scoring threat, he will do his part.

TheHoopsProphet
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow wtf? the Cavs franchise has officially pressed the panic button. Can you imagine if Lebron leaves anyway? This would set back the organization for years.

Lakerfrk
07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Anthony Parker is SOLID...

stawka
07-09-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't understand. When 'other teams' like the Spurs with RJ, Celtics with Sheed, Magic with VC made those trades, it wasn't desperation... Yet this is?

Especially the VC to Magic trade!

The Cavs need a wingman who can hit the outside shot, and can defend - Parker fits that role. Ideally Marion would have been perfect but he's going to Dallas. How's this being desperate yet the other teams that made trades/signed FA's is 'good job by the FO'

ottograham14
07-09-2009, 12:49 AM
People are just saying this is desperate cause they are d........................bags that actually don't really watch b-ball and don't know what Parker can bring to a team. Calm down people he is not going to be a savior or anything. He is going to be a nice role player that if you watch basketball and just not your teams that he would actually be a good fit for the Cavs with his D and 3 point shooting.

Keep hating just to hate. Seriously I am getting sick of this website cause of all people just trying to hate on other teams. It shows that you are not really fans of your team but just fair-weather that think that you deserve to hate because maybe your team did something that day or week or year. I know that you can never stop duesche fans but come on people, if you dont have a legitimate argument then just stop. Stop saying post like desperate and pathetic. Give us a reason why it is. If not dont reply.

tr4shb0t
07-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Cavs could definitely use a decent shooter. Mo and West are pretty much the only ones who don't live in the paint.

kblo247
07-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Cavs could definitely use a decent shooter. Mo and West are pretty much the only ones who don't live in the paint.

Wally and Smith need to be brought back ASAP

Jahari Kavi
07-09-2009, 12:56 AM
i would take barnes over parker.....

rhaas74
07-09-2009, 01:05 AM
ESPN is reporting that a deal is in place for a portion of the MLE. It says they are also trying to use the rest of the MLE to sign Channing Frye.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4315370

nba08
07-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I thought Cleveland was the fourth best team last year. and still think they are this year. lets face it they always have match up problems. vs boston they wont have enough weapons. vs orlando they solve their dwight problem but not the reshard problem. you can argue that he was their best player in that series. vs the spurs they might have a chance but oooo ya experience is with the spurs. and vs the lakers. they dont have the defensive stopper they need. parker is a good role player but he really is a spot up shooter and thats it. i think the are a regular season team not a playoff team

IndiansFan337
07-09-2009, 01:27 AM
The Cavs have also agreed to terms with Toronto free agent Anthony Parker. The final figures of the deal are not set, but he will receive a portion of the $5.8 midlevel exception for either two or three years.
ESPN.com link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4315370)

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Solid 6th man.

He was good for the Raptors but he wasn't right for the starting SG.

I see him to be something like James Posey to Miami and Boston.

I would like it if BC got someone like Gibson in a S & T for Parker.

brownies23
07-09-2009, 01:59 AM
I thought Cleveland was the fourth best team last year. and still think they are this year. lets face it they always have match up problems. vs boston they wont have enough weapons. vs orlando they solve their dwight problem but not the reshard problem. you can argue that he was their best player in that series. vs the spurs they might have a chance but oooo ya experience is with the spurs. and vs the lakers. they dont have the defensive stopper they need. parker is a good role player but he really is a spot up shooter and thats it. i think the are a regular season team not a playoff team

1st(Boston): We always have matchup problems against Boston? We have split the series for the past 4 years or so. I don't see where we have a matchup problem.Mo is a little slower then Rondo, but does a decent job.Parker,and West will b able 2 rotate on Allen so they don't get tired, Lebron is a better defender each year, so there isnt a matchup problem on pierce, Varejao is quick enough to step out wit KG, and if anyone gets past them now they have to deal wit the diesel down low.SO please point out where we have a matchup problem.

2nd(Orlando) The Magic F**ked them selves by lettin Turk go. The cavs now matchup wit them fairly well.Mo can hang wit Nelson, and u guys don't have a good back-up pg.Once again delonte,parker,lebron and even Danny green can guard vince,and pietrus, Lewis can now b guarded by Varejao 4 a bit, and then throw lebron on him if he starts hurting us, and like you said Shaq can hang wit Dwight.

3rd(Spurs) the spurs r really tough with all the off-season moves they have made. They added depth(McDyess), talent(RJ), and potential(Blair, McClinton) so they will pose a challenge for the entire league not just the cavs.

4th(Lakers) What can you say, the lakers have to be the favorites for the 09-10 season.I mean a roster with the likes of fisher, kobe, artest, odom, bynum, and gasol is tough as s**t. I mean we will just have to play that one out and see wat happens.

So i mean with us resigning Varejao and adding Shaq, Parker, Danny Green and possibly a Channing Frye or a Linas Klieza, are team is set, barring any injuries, to b somewhere near the top of the standings for another year.

Finally, Everyone keep hating on the Cavs, because it will just make it that much sweeter for Cavs fans if we win the title this year. Not saying it will b easy but we kept all of our main components from a 66 win team last year, and have improved our bench, so all i have to say is bring it, and lets see how it all turns out. Cant wait for the season to start.

Lakersfan2483
07-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Parker is a good pickup, he can play either the 1 or the 2. Good signing by the Cavs.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 02:09 AM
if the cavs get him, they are getting a great player, an amazing guy off the court, a good leader and well spoken, can hit the big shots, can play some defense. Good move for the cavs. His fadeaway is deadly.

phlp_bj
07-09-2009, 02:24 PM
The Cavaliers are closing in on signing Anthony Parker to a two-year deal, just under $6 million, according to a Tweet from Ric Bucher.

http://twitter.com/RicBucher and Real gm.com

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Wow wtf? the Cavs franchise has officially pressed the panic button. Can you imagine if Lebron leaves anyway? This would set back the organization for years.

How so? He was a free agent.

Sly Guy
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
good pickup for cleveland. Watching him first hand the last few seasons, he's got a quality all-round game and is a great locker room guy. Woulda liked to have been able to bring him back, but it's great to see him going to a good situation.

Aiwokote
07-09-2009, 04:15 PM
For that price? Fantastic deal.

The naysayers are acting like they gave him 10 mil per.

zambo4president
07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice pickup if it happens. I wanted him on the Bulls.

Reddd
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't understand. When 'other teams' like the Spurs with RJ, Celtics with Sheed, Magic with VC made those trades, it wasn't desperation... Yet this is?

Especially the VC to Magic trade!

The Cavs need a wingman who can hit the outside shot, and can defend - Parker fits that role. Ideally Marion would have been perfect but he's going to Dallas. How's this being desperate yet the other teams that made trades/signed FA's is 'good job by the FO'

Exactly, he is a SOLID player not an extremely desperate addition, now if they could get Frye, then the league's top is getting tighter once again:clap:

Wrightw/Reyes19
07-09-2009, 05:19 PM
ok Move. im still in aw that they overpaid Varejao tho

dtmagnet
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Cavs fans, take it from a Raps fan. You are going to love this guy, good solid defender and terrific shooter. Off the court he's one of the nicest people in the NBA, he's sure to become a fan-favourite.

Sportfan
07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Ha, they are desperate.

how? he's a solid be bench player?

CTown81
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Who said the Cavs are desperate are correct.

They are desperate to win, they are desperate to improve their team, they are desperate to add quality players.

Im proud to be a fan of a desperate team that has show interest in many players that could improve their club and who have signed some that can.

Go Cavs

j-mart
07-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't see this this as a desperate move by the Cavs. I've watched Parker for the past 3 years with the Raptors. He's a good all-around player - makes clutch shots and is an above average defender (if you forget about the 80 points that Kobe rained down on the Raps two years ago). Cleveland fans will be happy with him coming off the bench as a 6th man.

zambo4president
07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Ha, they are desperate.

I guess every team in the league is desperate then. Any team would love to have him.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Solid 6th man.

He was good for the Raptors but he wasn't right for the starting SG.

I see him to be something like James Posey to Miami and Boston.

GodsSon
07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
dont just write him in as a Cav just yet...with the financial flexibility the Raps gained in the deal today, they might still bring back AP into the fold...would be a nice mentor to DeMar

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2009, 08:33 PM
dont just write him in as a Cav just yet...with the financial flexibility the Raps gained in the deal today, they might still bring back AP into the fold...would be a nice mentor to DeMar

Parker is more than likely going to commit to his deal with the Cavs.

GodsSon
07-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Parker is more than likely going to commit to his deal with the Cavs.

until the paper is signed and he's photo-oping with a Cavs jersey, anything can happen

dtmagnet
07-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't see this this as a desperate move by the Cavs. I've watched Parker for the past 3 years with the Raptors. He's a good all-around player - makes clutch shots and is an above average defender (if you forget about the 80 points that Kobe rained down on the Raps two years ago). Cleveland fans will be happy with him coming off the bench as a 6th man.

Dude AP wasn't even on the team at that point, that was Jalen Rose that got rained on by Kobe.

j-mart
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Dude AP wasn't even on the team at that point, that was Jalen Rose that got rained on by Kobe.

Good catch. I thought it was AP's first season with the Raps. It was Jalen Rose and Mo Pete that got torched.

uncleben989
07-09-2009, 10:44 PM
thing about AP is that he takes the most irritating shots and takes j's not even 2-3 seconds deep in the shotclock...dont get me started on his annoying fadeways (there sure sick when they go down, but the games where he is off...i swear he shoots them further and further away from the net and misses by more)

he is a solid perimeter defender and a good leader...good addition for the cavs

JC_
07-10-2009, 05:20 AM
thing about AP is that he takes the most irritating shots and takes j's not even 2-3 seconds deep in the shotclock

? lol

Personally, I hope the deal falls through and we get him back on the raptors.