PDA

View Full Version : Are the Pacers too White?

_KB24_
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I was watching PTI today and this was their top story. They talked about Bird and his drafy picks, and how their previous black players caused a bad rep for them ( Artest, Jasckson, Oneal, Tinsley) and how their fans are primarily white.
Hansborough
Dunleavy
Rasho
Murphy
McRoberts
Foster
Diener

How do you feel about this?

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090708/SPORTS15/907080380/1004/SPORTS/Are+Pacers+too+white?+No++all+Bird+cares+about+are +finding+guys+who+can+play Thanks shonk for the link

More-Than-Most
07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Lol are other teams to black? What the hell is this... My home team is the sixers and they have like 1 white guy... 2 now that they added kapono. Why is this even news worthy? I thought our day and age was past this. Well at least to this extent because there will always be racism.

JerseysFinest
07-08-2009, 09:08 PM
What!?

carson005
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm white, so if I say no, am I racist?

king4day
07-08-2009, 09:11 PM
If ESPN reported it, then they are just running out of things to talk about.
Will we now talk about teams that have far more black players than white? Does anyone care? (note: this rant was towards ESPN and not KB24)

shonk688
07-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I was watching PTI today and this was their top story. They talked about Bird and his drafy picks, and how their previous black players caused a bad rep for them ( Artest, Jasckson, Oneal, Tinsley) and how their fans are primarily white.
Hansborough
Dunleavy
Rasho
Murphy
McRoberts
Foster
Diener

Rosho isn't on the team anymore. I made the same thread earlier and it was closed within a half hour so dont expect this on to be open long.

By the way this was all started by a column in the Indianapolis star.

Before you respond people need to read the artical.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090708/SPORTS15/907080380/1004/SPORTS/Are+Pacers+too+white?+No++all+Bird+cares+about+are +finding+guys+who+can+play

JM09
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, whether or not the pacers are raciest. I think it's safe to say that you're not gonna be a successful team IN THE NBA if you're all white lol (i'm not raciest by any means)

shonk688
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Hansborough
Dunleavy
Rasho
Murphy
McRoberts
Foster
Diener

Hey man I would put that link that I put in my other post in your first post so people see it.

shonk688
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
:shrug:
Well, whether or not the pacers are raciest. I think it's safe to say that you're not gonna be a successful team IN THE NBA if you're all white lol (i'm not raciest by any means)

Their not racist read the artical this is where all of this came from.

Plus I would think if the Pacers were racist they wouldn't be building their team around a black guy(Danny Granger)

Raps18-19 Champ
07-08-2009, 09:17 PM
If a team is all black, is that being racist?

If you have an all black starting lineup, is that racist?

The person who wrote that article is just starting something.

It's not the colour of your skin, its the talent. I have to admit that the stars are black but having 6 non black guys doesn't mean you can't win games. Raptors won 47 games with 7 or 8 non black people so I don't know what that guy is making a big fuss about.

phlp_bj
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
are the boston celtics too black? i know they have scalabrine but he's basically white too.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rixIRU42cmA/SSreiOeGOCI/AAAAAAAAA7w/Q9vEYFpwQmM//scal2.bmp

MiamiHeat
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
the Heat only has 1 white player
Chris Quinn
and I hate him he sucks at defense wish he wasn't on the Heat

miller
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I saw this on PTI also. I was sure that it was a non-issue that was being discussed. I'd hope that teams are drafting on ability and position needs rather than race.

Statik1
07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Their new nickname should be "The Last Great White Hope"

I'm Caucasian by the way

tr4shb0t
07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
utah jazz

GoatMilk
07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
and if they purposely tried to get "blacker" they'd also be bad guys right?

slow pacers summer i guess

AntiG
07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
we need an all latino and all asian team to even things out

TheHoopsProphet
07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
PG - Steve Nash
SG - Mike Dunleavy Jr.
SF - Andres Nocioni
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Joel Pryzbilla

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kobe Byrant
SF - Lebron James
PF - Lamarcus Aldridge
C - Dwight Howard

PG - Jose Calderon
SG - Juan Carlos Navarro
SF - Rudy Fernandez
PF - Paul Gasol
C - Brook Lopez

There's no such thing as too white, black, hispanic. I would take any one of those teams

_KB24_
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I also heard on ESPNEWS how some reporter from Indiana was saying how Bird felt was searching for more white players to satisfy the predominantly white fanbase. Sorry no link, saw it on ESPNEWS

shonk688
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
and if they purposely tried to get "blacker" they'd also be bad guys right?

slow pacers summer i guess

Yeah I guess he has to have something to write about for his newspaper article. Not much going on in Indy right now. Nothin with the Pacers or Colts.

ombada
07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
This notion is pretty dumb. I don't think this warrants thread space.

Half the roster is black and Hibbert is one dark dude... like the article says 8 out of 10 draft picks that bird has been involved in were black. Foster is a good role player, Murph is a great offensive PF, Diener is a third string PG, Dunleavy is a good offensive SG when healthy and McRoberts is a young backup PF (like Hansbrough)

point: Our starting 5 is predominately black.

PG - TJ Ford - AA
SG - Brandon Rush - AA
SF - Danny Granger - AA
PF - Troy Murphy - WA
C - Roy Hibbert - AA

And even if we did have dunleavy back hes a good player that is experienced and deserves to start.

ombada
07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
BTW the word is racist, if see it spelled raciest one more time...Ill F*cking go berserk! haha.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
PG - Steve Nash
SG - Mike Dunleavy Jr.
SF - Andres Nocioni
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Joel Pryzbilla

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kobe Byrant
SF - Lebron James
PF - Lamarcus Aldridge
C - Dwight Howard

PG - Jose Calderon
SG - Juan Carlos Navarro
SF - Rudy Fernandez
PF - Paul Gasol
C - Brook Lopez

There's no such thing as too white, black, hispanic. I would take any one of those teams

Pryzbilla over Bargnani, Bogut or Brad Miller?

Dunleavy over Hinrich?

Aldridge over Garnett, Duncan, Amare or Bosh?

Murphy_Dee
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
I heard that Larry Bird is holding a press conference tomorrow at noon to announce a name change from the Pacers to the Indiana "Unathletic White Bigmen". The team mascot will be Michael Bradley.

Miami_Megatron
07-08-2009, 09:37 PM
They are too pasty white...looks like Larry Birds tring to find another him!!

shonk688
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
This notion is pretty dumb. I don't think this warrants thread space.

Half the roster is black and Hibbert is one dark dude... like the article says 8 out of 10 draft picks that bird has been involved in were black. Foster is a good role player, Murph is a great offensive PF, Diener is a third string PG, Dunleavy is a good offensive SG when healthy and McRoberts is a young backup PF (like Hansbrough)

point: Our starting 5 is predominately black.

PG - TJ Ford - AA
SG - Brandon Rush - AA
SF - Danny Granger - AA
PF - Troy Murphy - WA
C - Roy Hibbert - AA

And even if we did have dunleavy back hes a good player that is experienced and deserves to start.

:laugh2:

Well, I dont think most of these people are actually reading the article. They are just going off of the question. If they read it they would see what he really said. I was shocked this was getting so much attention on ESPN.

shonk688
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I heard that Larry Bird is holding a press conference tomorrow at noon to announce a name change from the Pacers to the Indiana "Unathletic White Bigmen". The team mascot will be Michael Bradley.

You tried and failed.

Not funny

Murphy_Dee
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
You tried and failed.

Not funny

I chuckled

NYtilIdie
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
It's Indiana are you honestly surprised half their fans are white? In all seriousness it's not a big deal they drafted Hibbert and Granger their not white and so what if their fans are white half of Utah's fans are white they don't make a big deal about it.

mavwar53
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
yes hahahahaha the greatest thread cant believe it but it is awsome

blacknell
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
hahaha thats why they suck because to many white boys

mavwar53
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
PG - Steve Nash
SG - Mike Dunleavy Jr.
SF - Andres Nocioni
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Joel Pryzbilla

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Kobe Byrant
SF - Lebron James
PF - Lamarcus Aldridge
C - Dwight Howard

PG - Jose Calderon
SG - Juan Carlos Navarro
SF - Rudy Fernandez
PF - Paul Gasol
C - Brook Lopez

Most of those guys are from Spain I do not believe people from spain are the same as south America

shonk688
I chuckled

Good for you, you can make yourself laugh.:rolleyes:

ombada
Point is good players are good players no matter what they are... Nobody is talking about that tall Iranian dude being a terrorist are they? i mean who gives a crap?

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
honestly half of every nba teams are white...what does that have anything to do with anything...its not like white fans are also kkk's when there not at an arena.....stupid thread please close

JDizzle
07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
pacers are not to white there just 1950's and 60's basically ha there old school lol

HuRRiCaNeS324
This thread needs to be closed.

ombada
honestly half of every nba teams are white...what does that have anything to do with anything...its not like white fans are also kkk's when there not at an arena.....stupid thread please close

i hope you mean fans, because only 10% of the players in the NBA are white.

ShakeN'Bake
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Lol are other teams to black? What the hell is this... My home team is the sixers and they have like 1 white guy... 2 now that they added kapono. Why is this even news worthy? I thought our day and age was past this. Well at least to this extent because there will always be racism.

:clap: came in here to pretty much say the same thing. This is just dumb.

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
i hope you mean fans, because only 10% of the players in the NBA are white.

yes captain obvious, i did mean fans, if you would of kept reading you prolly could of taken that out of context

Ripper Gein
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
A lot of them are more HAZELNUT colored than black........

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
A lot of them are more HAZELNUT colored than black........

:laugh2:What the hell?

Anthony Flores
Jared Jack is now officially white to much Josh McRoberts and Troy Murphy.

Trouble87
I'm half black and I think this is a non-issue

um

TJ Ford
Jarrett Jack
Jamaal Tinsley
Brandon Rush
Roy Hibbert
Danny Granger

how exactly are they too white?

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
yes captain obvious, i did mean fans, if you would of kept reading you prolly could of taken that out of context

Sorry to offend you d*ckhead but your grammar is about as bad as anything I have ever seen. Did you mean i probably wouldn't have taken that out of context?

Re read your posts, you know what? Forget it, just get a translator because this is f*cking ridiculous.

Nighthawk
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
LOL @ this awesome thread

Bird should trade Ford for Hinrich. Then package Rush & Tinsley to Boston for Scal. Maybe send Hibbert to Denver for the Birdman. And finish off his red hot offseason with a bang by trading Granger to Portland for the dynamic duo of Steve Blake and Joel Pryzbilla

In all serious though i think Pyscho T is actually going to be a beast and prove a lot of people wrong. I think this kid works to hard and plays all out every second. He wont be denied. He'll be a double-double guy off put backs and scrappy plays alone. Book IT

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm half black and I think this is a non-issue

um

TJ Ford
Jarrett Jack
Jamaal Tinsley
Brandon Rush
Roy Hibbert
Danny Granger

how exactly are they too white?

...I think hes the whitest guy on the team... :D

Kabowdos
07-08-2009, 10:09 PM
This is terrible. Big deal a team has a couple white guys on it.

It is going to happen once in a blue moon. It is not a big deal. Bird is not an idiot, he can't win with a team full of white guys. It is the honest truth. Make up the best team with white players and I don't think they beat the best teams in the NBA.

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:11 PM
...I think hes the whitest guy on the team... :D

Lol hell yeah he's pasty white.

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 10:12 PM
racism....

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 10:13 PM
sss's

SeoulBeatz
07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
well i always thought something was fishy going on in Utah.

Utah is heavily populated and influenced by Mormons.

Mormonism used to be heavily racist against "dark skinned" people but is now starting to come around.

there are some ridiculous quotes in the mormon teachings like "if a dark skinned person does good deeds they will eventually turn light before they are sent to heaven".

im agnostic so sorry if i offend some of the more religious folk in here.

but i always wondered why even the minorities on the Utah Jazz (a la Deron Williams, Morris Almond, and Carlos Boozer) were light skinned and how half of the team is white (ak47, okur, harpring, koufus, fesenko) . me and my friends used to joke about it but i honestly dont think it's a coincidence.

AntiG
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
BTW the word is racist, if see it spelled raciest one more time...Ill F*cking go berserk! haha.

you gonna start lynching the bad spellers?

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Sorry to offend you d*ckhead but your grammar is about as bad as anything I have ever seen. Did you mean i probably wouldn't have taken that out of context?

Re read your posts, you know what? Forget it, just get a translator because this is f*cking ridiculous.

mrs johnson is that you, i told you i would never forget my favorite 3rd grade teacher...oh how i miss you ...did your hemroid's ever heal? oh and p.s. i just googled prolly and here is what it sais

prolly
Web-slang abbreviation of "probably". Used extensively in forums and instant messsaging worldwide.

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
racism....

:pity:

mrblisterdundee
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM
The Pacers are too white; the Raptors are the foreign invaders.

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:19 PM
you gonna start lynching the bad spellers?

haha, maybe... no, i was being cynical. Seriously though, one person typed it wrong and the other person repeated it. "raciest" would mean something that is vigorous, lively or Risqué, while racist means something completely different. So its not just the spelling ;)

vigilantex69
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Wow, the Pacers are "too white" when the NBA is like 99% black. Give me a break. And if yes, they think drafting white players who might not get into trouble will work for them, then their smart. Its not like their "black" team was a bunch of model citizens. ESPN is such a joke.

Living Legend
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Nah son.

Nighthawk
haha, maybe... No, i was being cynical. Seriously though, one person typed it wrong and the other person repeated it. "raciest" would mean something that is vigorous, lively or risqué, while racist means something completely different. So its not just the spelling ;)

who cares

Beno7500
**** the guy that wrote the article

dbcirclecity
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I believe that some white players are wrongfully judged non athletic---and that leave some available from time to time as a bargain if given a chance to play---as far as bird and pacers go---it wouldn't matter if they were green or orange, talent and character is what decides the issue----

Utahjazzfan18
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
well i always thought something was fishy going on in Utah.

Utah is heavily populated and influenced by Mormons.

Mormonism used to be heavily racist against "dark skinned" people but is now starting to come around.

there are some ridiculous quotes in the mormon teachings like "if a dark skinned person does good deeds they will eventually turn light before they are sent to heaven".

im agnostic so sorry if i offend some of the more religious folk in here.

but i always wondered why even the minorities on the Utah Jazz (a la Deron Williams, Morris Almond, and Carlos Boozer) were light skinned and how half of the team is white (ak47, okur, harpring, koufus, fesenko) . me and my friends used to joke about it but i honestly dont think it's a coincidence.

Always someone on the outside thinking Utah is full of racist people. I guess you're free to think what you want but I think your theory is completely bogus. Seriously, why is it racist to have a half white team??? You could pretty much guarantee it wouldn't be an issue if the Jazz players were all black. Oh wait, they would still be accused of it for reverse racism or something stupid like that.

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
mrs johnson is that you, i told you i would never forget my favorite 3rd grade teacher...oh how i miss you ...did your hemroid's ever heal? oh and p.s. i just googled prolly and here is what it sais

prolly
Web-slang abbreviation of "probably". Used extensively in forums and instant messsaging worldwide.

yes captain obvious, i did mean fans, if you would of kept reading you prolly could of taken that out of

Its funny that "prolly" is the grammar problem you pulled out of that sentence. I know internet slang and trust me thats not what i was attacking.

You called me captain obvious for mentioning this:

honestly half of every nba teams are white

Which seems like you are talking about the teams, especially when this unrelated sentence, which isnt connected to the first sentence at all, follows:

its not like white fans are also kkk's when there not at an arena

Then in the same sentence as the captain obvious comment you said:

if you would of kept reading you prolly could of taken that out of context

So you called me a name, then went back on that by saying that it could have been taken out of context? No, I think you meant to say that it "prolly" wouldn't have been taken out of context had i kept reading.

Finally, i did read the rest of your comment and like i said there is no way in hell to tell what your were talking about for sure without asking... "why?" you may ask. Well, its because your grammar is Sh** poor.

Don't try to insult me unless your are a)clever or b)have something to back it up with.

dee279
07-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Not saying its a white thing but they are a very soft team.

AntiG
07-08-2009, 10:29 PM
haha, maybe... no, i was being cynical. Seriously though, one person typed it wrong and the other person repeated it. "raciest" would mean something that is vigorous, lively or Risqué, while racist means something completely different. So its not just the spelling ;)

f it. just lynch em. i hate people who not only can't spell but have no idea about basic phonics.

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
who cares

It was a joke... thats why i said i was being cynical.... :rolleyes:

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
It was a joke... thats why i said i was being cynical.... :rolleyes:

this a forum for guys and sports..........get bent tool

Go Dodgers!
I wonder what the Pacers would give up for Luke Walton?

Yankee Lifer
I am white and I like it. They will not be the best team but they will definatly be the most fundamentally soundand i would rather watch them play the game over some of the other teams. I am in no way a racist but I feel basketball was at its best during the Magic, Bird, Isaih era and most white ball players play that type of ball. Im a Knick fan but my favorite two players are Lebron and David Lee couse they remind me of the old school baller's even though Lebron is doing all the flexing and picture taking I see past it. In all reality I think this is a stupid post but I gotta be honest Im pro white boy.

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:43 PM
this a forum for guys and sports..........get bent tool

I wasn't talking to you dips**t, That was a completely separate conversation. What does that mean anyway, "This is a forum for guys and sports." So a girl isnt allowed to post in these forums? Oh and BTW, how original calling me a tool... i guess thats all you can say because your argumentative skills are that of a 13 year old. I guess your just a sexist bastard that has nothing else to do besides awkwardly attempting to insult people on forums for asking you completely valid questions because "you no speak english."

GTFO!

mcnasty54
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Absolutely the Pacers are too white

KB24PG16
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
yea not to be racist but you need african americans on your team to win at any level

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I am white and I like it. They will not be the best team but they will definatly be the most fundamentally soundand i would rather watch them play the game over some of the other teams. I am in no way a racist but I feel basketball was at its best during the Magic, Bird, Isaih era and most white ball players play that type of ball. Im a Knick fan but my favorite two players are Lebron and David Lee couse they remind me of the old school baller's even though Lebron is doing all the flexing and picture taking I see past it. In all reality I think this is a stupid post but I gotta be honest Im pro white boy.

There is nothing wrong with that its just like a black person wanting to see more black qb's and coach's in football.

SeoulBeatz
07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Always someone on the outside thinking Utah is full of racist people. I guess you're free to think what you want but I think your theory is completely bogus. Seriously, why is it racist to have a half white team??? You could pretty much guarantee it wouldn't be an issue if the Jazz players were all black. Oh wait, they would still be accused of it for reverse racism or something stupid like that.

ha i dont think the team is racist, i just think there "could" be something behind it. just my opinion. my roommate is from utah though and he's the one who introduced me to the culture there and stuff but yeah he is a character too so maybe i shouldnt believe all he says :)

ombada
07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
yea not to be racist but you need african americans on your team to win at any level

Does curling count? :cool:

JP, yeah in basketball Europeans, white and black Americans all play different styles. I feel like a team is at its best when it has a good mixture of those styles. Spurs anyone?

DreamShaker
07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm sure they would like to get rid a few of those guys...especially Murphy and his horrible contract....

The Ooh Child
07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Someone needs to tell Larry Bird that he is supposed to be building a NBA franchise and not preparing for a canoe race or a lumberjacking competition or something

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I wasn't talking to you dips**t, That was a completely separate conversation. What does that mean anyway, "This is a forum for guys and sports." So a girl isnt allowed to post in these forums? Oh and BTW, how original calling me a tool... i guess thats all you can say because your argumentative skills are that of a 13 year old. I guess your just a sexist bastard that has nothing else to do besides awkwardly attempting to insult people on forums for asking you completely valid questions because "you no speak english."

GTFO!

why thanks, and yes i am a sexy bastard:smoking:

Tommyh1331
07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Well take a look at the people who live in Indiana and then ask that question again, it's farm town U.S.A...Except for Gary aka Gangster's Paradise

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Someone needs to tell Larry Bird that he is supposed to be building a NBA franchise and not preparing for a canoe race or a lumberjacking competition or something

Ok now if that wasn't racist.:down:

Tommyh1331
07-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Funny guy :clap:

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:54 PM

He said sexist not sexy.

AI4MVP
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
lets make another forum too:

"is every team in the NBA except the Indiana Pacers too black?"

what a dumbass ******** reporter who started this all.

MAC10TIZZY
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
He said sexist not sexy.

oh my gosh are all of you this fast, dude it was a joke, the conversation was getting heated and instead of getting banned i figured i would enlighten the situation by making a joke....golly(rymes with prolly :-))

ziglur
07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Have too many slow guys who cant play defense, Some happen to be white and so am I . I live in Indiana. Murphy gives us as many stats as he gets. Hes worhhless cant stop my grandmpther. Dunleavey is a little better but not much. To slow to get his own shot. If hes open when he recieves the ball he does well but otherwise he has no business with the ball. Foster is just ok but he will scrap. Ford cant defend and makes poor decisions. They could have drafted Rondo but I think hes too quick for these bums. Bird spends money on these guys and has no intention on winning anything.

shonk688
07-08-2009, 10:58 PM
oh my gosh are all of you this fast, dude it was a joke, the conversation was getting heated and instead of getting banned i figured i would enlighten the situation by making a joke....golly(rymes with prolly :-))

Yeah I was saying it wasn't funny.:rolleyes:

WhiteSoxGod
07-08-2009, 11:00 PM

What about Hockey?

DenButsu
07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
President Hector Elizondo Mountain Dew Camacho says (http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/siteinfo/newsround/id2.jpg) "Thread closed."