PDA

View Full Version : Will we be talking about the Mavericks this upcoming season

magichatnumber9
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Now I am not a Dallas Mavericks fan or anything but they seem to be flying under the radar this season with there off season moves. When the season begins do you see the Mavs fielding a contender for the championship?

Catfish1314
07-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I think we will. Marcin Gortat is not amazing, but he's young and can do solid things at both ends. Consistency wise at least, I think he'll be an immediate upgrade over Dampier.

Then if they get Marion, his defense, rebounding, and versatility along with the added depth he gives them will only help. They have Dampier (his salary is not fully guaranteed after this season) and Howard's expiring contracts to dangle for value at the deadline as well.

king4day
07-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I think so. If they stay healthy and learn where to place these players then yes.
Bench of Terry, Gortat, Hollins, wright will be sick

GREATNESS ONE
07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes when they are getting eliminated in the playoffs.

This is a good team with good pieces but a title is not coming to Dallas anytime soon. Maybe in football.

elpirata224
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes when they are getting eliminated in the playoffs.

This is a good team with good pieces but a title is not coming to Dallas anytime soon. Maybe in football.

of course a lakers fan said this

thedfactor
07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Ha Lakers fans can talk all they want though, they are the champs and if Odom resigns they are definitely one of the best, if not the best.

That said I do think Dallas will be much improved if Marion is acquired. SG and C were sour spots for the Mavs last season.

Assuming Howard is slid to the 2, instant upgrade over Wright. Healthy Josh is an all-star quality player. Then if Gortat doesn't get matched, he will likely take over the center starting job. He is more active and will no doubt be more effective than Damp has been.

That leaves a bench of Terry, Damp, Ross, Barea, Singleton, Hollins, hopefully Bass...oh and Matt Carroll lol

Er1c
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
yes of course. they are definitely a threat in the west :P

ManRam
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
They're a deep team. If they get Marion, they'll be a really deep team.

Are they better than LA or San Antonio. Nope. They'll be a team like Denver or New Orleans, who might be able to upset those two teams in the playoffs. I just don't see it happening.

GearsInDallas
07-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Honestly, I think if the mavs can pull off what they are trying to get right now then they probably get a little further in the playoffs than they did this year and who knows if they trade midseason for upgrades. The same can be said for any of the teams in this league, but i still see the lakers getting to the WCF if not the finals next year.

GREATNESS ONE
07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Ha Lakers fans can talk all they want though, they are the champs and if Odom resigns they are definitely one of the best, if not the best.

That said I do think Dallas will be much improved if Marion is acquired. SG and C were sour spots for the Mavs last season.

Assuming Howard is slid to the 2, instant upgrade over Wright. Healthy Josh is an all-star quality player. Then if Gortat doesn't get matched, he will likely take over the center starting job. He is more active and will no doubt be more effective than Damp has been.

That leaves a bench of Terry, Damp, Ross, Barea, Singleton, Hollins, hopefully Bass...oh and Matt Carroll lol

Good post.

Howard seemed to be on a real upside until the injury. Marion will give Kid a lot of people he can run with Dirk, Marion and Howard should be fun to watch.

GREATNESS ONE
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
of course a lakers fan said this

:hi5: We can still be friends.

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Dallas looks like the 3rd best team out west if all these moves go thru.

JJ_JKidd
07-08-2009, 11:13 PM

I dont think so. They have an aging PG in Jason Kidd (muh boy) and they would still lack a LOW-POST scorer. Now tell me which team that has won a chip in the last 10 years didnt have a LOW POST PRESENCE? None. So unless The Mavs address this,,, a WCF is the best result that the team would achieve.

Champion teams over the years:

Spurs - Duncan
Lakers- Shaq; Pau
Heat - Shaq
Boston - KG

Do the math guys.

And please,,, Dirk aint a low post scorer. He does score on the post but very very often. Besides theyre not better than the Hornets and the Nuggets which have David West and Nene respectively. I support the Mavs and have seen majority of their games last year and they had a very hard time against those two big men.

Just sayin...

Props to Cuban btw for trying to make the team competitive. :clap:

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 11:13 PM

Yea, i agree. I think they are now just as good as the nuggets, if not better with the addition of shawn marion

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
The Dallas Mavericks are Officially of the NBA's elite along with lakers, spurs, c's, cavs, magic. Predicton: Lakers vs Mavs WCF (Lakers in 6 or 7)

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:25 PM

And Denver?

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
The Dallas Mavericks are Officially of the NBA's elite along with lakers, spurs, c's, cavs, magic. Predicton: Lakers vs Mavs WCF (Lakers in 6 or 7)

man what are you on?

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
man what are you on?

Something really good, want some?

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 11:31 PM
No but seriously, this is remind me a little bit of the 03-04 mavs that had nash, dirk, finley, antoine walker, antawn jamison, nick the quick, etc.

now they have kidd, dirk, howard, marion, terry, (possibly stack if he is bought out and resigns), damp, gortat (if he isn't matched by magic), brandon bass (if he resigns), jj barea, gerald green, etc.

Tommyh1331
07-08-2009, 11:31 PM
the only way the mavericks will be talked about is when the lose to LA or San Antonio in the playoffs

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Something really good, want some?

yeah man...pass it over

Hellcrooner
07-08-2009, 11:35 PM
they will, if it goes god becau it goes good if not we will be talking a lot about dirk opting out and becoming a free agent in 10 and reuniting in Ny with nash and lebron... by the way, they sign gortat and marion bass wont resing i guess.

Lakers should incquire jsut in case odom walks

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM
they will, if it goes god becau it goes good if not we will be talking a lot about dirk opting out and becoming a free agent in 10 and reuniting in Ny with nash and lebron... by the way, they sign gortat and marion bass wont resing i guess.

hooked on phonics maybe?

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm a Mavs fan, and I have been very pesimistic about the last couple of years.

That being said, the Mavs have made a couple of really good moves this offseason, I am really excited.

Gortat, Howard and Marion especially are all very good defensive pieces, and Kidd is still a pretty good defender. He just has trouble with the really quick PG's. Dirk is alot alot better defensively than he is given credit for, and together the Mavs should be one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Then you have Gortat, Dirk, Howard, Marion and Kidd who are all very good rebounders for their position. When you add Dampier, hopefully Bass, and Singleton off the bench the Mavs should be one of the best rebounding teams in the league.

That being said, defense and rebounding are the two things that are the most crucial to being contenders in the NBA.

Now with Marion along with Dirk, Terry, Howard, Barea, and Bass hopefully the Mavs have enough firepower to compete with anyone, especially since they should be a pretty good defensive team.

Not to mention Im not completely convinced this is the end of the any significant offseason moves, the Mavs seem really commited to getting this team back to being a legit contender.

Duncan = Donkey
07-09-2009, 02:02 AM
I dont think so. They have an aging PG in Jason Kidd (muh boy) and they would still lack a LOW-POST scorer. Now tell me which team that has won a chip in the last 10 years didnt have a LOW POST PRESENCE? None. So unless The Mavs address this,,, a WCF is the best result that the team would achieve.

Champion teams over the years:

Spurs - Duncan
Lakers- Shaq; Pau
Heat - Shaq
Boston - KG

Do the math guys.

And please,,, Dirk aint a low post scorer. He does score on the post but very very often. Besides theyre not better than the Hornets and the Nuggets which have David West and Nene respectively. I support the Mavs and have seen majority of their games last year and they had a very hard time against those two big men.

Just sayin...

Props to Cuban btw for trying to make the team competitive. :clap:

dont agree with that at all.
the hornets will struggle to make the playoffs next year.
they have 2 significant players in PAul and West.
Peja is washed up, he cant even shoot that well anymore.
Tyson Chandler, was a young top defensive C. something is up with him now, he had a major injury and now the hornets are suddenly shooping him for just expiring contracts's, thats fishy. I think he will never be the same player he once was.

bottom line he mavs will finish ahead of the hornets, i guarentee it.

Young2Kinsler
07-09-2009, 02:07 AM

We can sign Bass for whatever we like.

Lakersfan2483
07-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Now I am not a Dallas Mavericks fan or anything but they seem to be flying under the radar this season with there off season moves. When the season begins do you see the Mavs fielding a contender for the championship?

No, I don't see them contending, they are still well behind teams like the Lakers, Spurs, and the Nuggets and Utah for that matter.

Lakersfan2483
07-09-2009, 02:11 AM

I don't think the move puts them ahead of Denver.

Lakersfan2483
07-09-2009, 02:13 AM

:speechless::eyebrow::confused:

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2009, 02:15 AM
How are the Mavs far behind teams like San Antonio (who they beat easily in the first round) and the Nuggets (who they played well)?

Yeah the Spurs added Jefferson and and they didnt have Ginobili, but the Mavs dominated the Spurs and the difference between the teams wasn't a Manu Ginoblii. When you are beating a team by 32 points in the first half, that isnt going to be fixed by one player.

Then the Spurs add Jefferson, the Mavs add Marion.

Not to mention the entire WC last year 2-7 was decided by like 5 games, to say that anyone in that mix is well behind anyone is ********.

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2009, 02:16 AM
I don't think the move puts them ahead of Denver.

:speechless::eyebrow::confused:

First you say that the Mavs are now ahead of Denver for the #2 spot in the West, and then you acted like the notion of there being a Lakers/Mavs WCF is odd. I dont get that.

asmarks18
07-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Mavs, Nuggets and the Spares will all be fighting for the 2 seed and I am going to be biased and say the Mavs get it.

Lakers
Mavs
Spurs
Nuggets
Blazers
Utah
NO
Phoenix?

#1Mavericksfan
07-09-2009, 02:30 AM
the only way the mavericks will be talked about is when the lose to LA or San Antonio in the playoffs

lose to the Spurs?...the Spurs shut Dirk and Terry down in the playoffs and still lost the series, the Spurs have no bench besides Manu it's he's not hurt plus there another year older, as for the Lakers there gonna miss Ariza and if they let Odom walk most of the teams in the west are gonna match up better with them.

NFLNBA
07-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Lakers
Spurs
Nuggets
Jazz
Mavs

What has Marion done since leavin the Suns????????????????????????????????????/
The Suns offense "Run and Gun" made him look great and the MVP Nash sure helped to! He is just a lob catcher that can jump. He isnt the leaper he used to be either. he was a beast with the Suns on that fast azz fun offense long ago but marion has a ugly shot, cant beat anyone off the dribble, no post offense.

Look at his stats from last year shot a whopping .154 from 3 lol

12 PPG 8 reb with Toronto

21 ppg 12 reb with the suns hmmmm what happened?????????????????????????

Spurred1
07-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Who knows at this point. It looks very good on paper, but let's see how they play out first. Remember, everyone thought the addition of Iverson to the Nuggets would get them places...

NFLNBA
07-09-2009, 03:07 AM
lose to the Spurs?...the Spurs shut Dirk and Terry down in the playoffs and still lost the series, the Spurs have no bench besides Manu it's he's not hurt plus there another year older, as for the Lakers there gonna miss Ariza and if they let Odom walk most of the teams in the west are gonna match up better with them.

Yeah because Ariza is better then Artest right? Lakers are even better now with Artest and Odom is coming back to LA-

LOL nice pic you got there! You have 1 that says

Mavs 61 Kobe 62 :clap:

dee279
07-09-2009, 03:23 AM
I think so. If they stay healthy and learn where to place these players then yes.
Bench of Terry, Gortat, Hollins, wright will be sick

They traded Wright but still got a good core of players. Gerald Green might come in and do better then him anyway

nikefreek220
07-09-2009, 03:31 AM
they would be great if they would have kept Harris. I think they will be in the top 4.

Lakers
Spurs
Nuggets
Dallas

actually its a tie for 3rd between Dallas and Nuggets.

tland22
07-09-2009, 03:58 AM
dont agree with that at all.
the hornets will struggle to make the playoffs next year.
they have 2 significant players in PAul and West.
Peja is washed up, he cant even shoot that well anymore.
Tyson Chandler, was a young top defensive C. something is up with him now, he had a major injury and now the hornets are suddenly shooping him for just expiring contracts's, thats fishy. I think he will never be the same player he once was.

bottom line he mavs will finish ahead of the hornets, i guarentee it.

First off, the Mavs will NOT finish ahead of the Hornets....I guarantee you that.

Secondly, "Peja is washed up, he can't even shoot that well anymore." That is incorrect. yea he had a down year, but let me tell you something....He shot 38% FROM 3-LAND last year in a "down" year. The year before that (two seasons ago) he shot 44% from 3 point range!! It doesnt get any better than that man. Find better arguments. :clap:

BlondeBomber41
07-09-2009, 04:02 AM
The Mavs finished ahead of New Orleans last year and have taken several steps to improve their roster while New Orleans hasn't done ****. Why would anyone believe New Orleans is gonna finish ahead of Dallas?

GoatMilk
07-09-2009, 04:02 AM
i think they passed Denver for 3rd or 4th best in the West.

I go Dallas-Denver-Portland

Duncan = Donkey
07-09-2009, 04:24 AM
First off, the Mavs will NOT finish ahead of the Hornets....I guarantee you that.

Secondly, "Peja is washed up, he can't even shoot that well anymore." That is incorrect. yea he had a down year, but let me tell you something....He shot 38% FROM 3-LAND last year in a "down" year. The year before that (two seasons ago) he shot 44% from 3 point range!! It doesnt get any better than that man. Find better arguments. :clap:

"(two seasons ago) he shot 44% from 3 point range!!"
lol, whats good is that now?? why dont you find better arguments:clap:

He is a very average player now, the FACTS are he shot 39% from the field, which isnt good. 38% from the 3 is average.

This would be acceptable is Peja was a good defender, hell it would be acceptable if he was an average defender, but he is just a terrible defender he cannot guard ANYONE, i actually mean that he cant guard ANYONE.

if he isnt knocking down shots, he is a MASSIVE LIABILTY to the hornets.

Duncan = Donkey
07-09-2009, 04:27 AM

disagree, hornets will struggle to make the playoffs.

The_Pharouh
07-09-2009, 07:49 AM
well i think the west is going to be crazy next season but IMHO i think that on paper it is LALA are favorites then the rest is between the SAS,Nuggets,Mavs and may be Portland depending on their moves
it will depend on the next moves(specially for nuggets&Blazzers) and many wother question
willJHOward stay healthy?will Manu?is TD declining or he will have a better season?how will the new players perform?do Nuggets&Portland have the mentality to be on the top?etc
the answers aren't now, so for now all i can say i can see 3 or 4 teams that may reach a level that they can beat Lakers or a first round exit

Durant is hype
07-09-2009, 09:55 AM
i think we will. Marcin gortat is not amazing, but he's young and can do solid things at both ends. Consistency wise at least, i think he'll be an immediate upgrade over dampier.

Then if they get marion, his defense, rebounding, and versatility along with the added depth he gives them will only help. They have dampier (his salary is not fully guaranteed after this season) and howard's expiring contracts to dangle for value at the deadline as well.

+1

S-Dot
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
They'll be fighting for spots 4-8 in the west; they're definitely an improvement from last year. Who is their starting SG now though, or will they have to sign some1?

nycericanguy
07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Marion will help them this year and maybe next. but why they would give a 31 yr old a $40 million 5 year deal when Marion's scoring average dropped to just 12ppg last season. He is clearly not the same player he used to be now, imagine in 2 or 3 years. they also lost Wright and George who were two solid role players. so i'm not sure how much better they have gotten but they sure spent alot of money.

skyhibballpj87
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Mavs, Nuggets and the Spares will all be fighting for the 2 seed and I am going to be biased and say the Mavs get it.

Lakers
Mavs
Spurs
Nuggets
Blazers
Utah
NO
Phoenix?

so let me get this straight the mavs sign marion and possibly get marin gortart and suddenly there the 2nd best team in the west give me a break.

ill admit they made a couple of good moves in picking up these guys but to suddenly think that moves them in to second place is ridiculous. first of all lets talk about shawn marion since the his season in phoenix where he shined his stats have greatly decreased. only averaging around 14 in miami and 12 in toronto. granted hes still a good rebounder for his size, Marcin gotart showed promise on the magic good defender and a good back up to dwight howard but lets face it hes not gonna save a franchise.

The mavs are a good team but were expose a few years ago when the warriors beat them in the 1st round. You play run and gun against the mavs they cannot win. Dirks a good player but his low post game still needs work and so does his defense. Kidds only getting older and josh howard will become stubborn once he realizes the ball isnt coming to him as often with the addtion of marion on the team. with this move your going to probably loose bass.

The nuggets proved last season they are a way better team than the mavs melo is a true star and chauncy is way better then kidd nene is a young true pf unlike dirk kenyon martin had his best season since before his injury they got a good rookie pg in ty lawson still have smith and resigned birdman uhh i think the nuggets are younger and deeper then the mavs.

And you cant count out the spurs first of all id take jefferson over marion any day his shot is more consistent and and jefferson unlike marion showed he can still play without a big name pg. His stats decreased alittle but def not as much as marion. not to mention the spurs were missing manu in the series with dallas. and they just added mcdyess making them deeper. So i still say the spurs are better then dallas.

Blazers are up and coming and i predict will be better then the mavs as well roy, aldrige, oden, outlaw, fernedez, bayless, all they need is one guy to put them over the top and turk would have done it. im sure they will find someone else to take his place

right now i say the mavs are 5th in the west right but you never know what moves other teams are going to make around the league. 2 though i dont think so

kbaxter34
07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
so let me get this straight the mavs sign marion and possibly get marin gortart and suddenly there the 2nd best team in the west give me a break.

ill admit they made a couple of good moves in picking up these guys but to suddenly think that moves them in to second place is ridiculous. first of all lets talk about shawn marion since the his season in phoenix where he shined his stats have greatly decreased. only averaging around 14 in miami and 12 in toronto. granted hes still a good rebounder for his size, Marcin gotart showed promise on the magic good defender and a good back up to dwight howard but lets face it hes not gonna save a franchise.

The mavs are a good team but were expose a few years ago when the warriors beat them in the 1st round. You play run and gun against the mavs they cannot win. Dirks a good player but his low post game still needs work and so does his defense. Kidds only getting older and josh howard will become stubborn once he realizes the ball isnt coming to him as often with the addtion of marion on the team. with this move your going to probably loose bass.

The nuggets proved last season they are a way better team than the mavs melo is a true star and chauncy is way better then kidd nene is a young true pf unlike dirk kenyon martin had his best season since before his injury they got a good rookie pg in ty lawson still have smith and resigned birdman uhh i think the nuggets are younger and deeper then the mavs.

And you cant count out the spurs first of all id take jefferson over marion any day his shot is more consistent and and jefferson unlike marion showed he can still play without a big name pg. His stats decreased alittle but def not as much as marion. not to mention the spurs were missing manu in the series with dallas. and they just added mcdyess making them deeper. So i still say the spurs are better then dallas.

Blazers are up and coming and i predict will be better then the mavs as well roy, aldrige, oden, outlaw, fernedez, bayless, all they need is one guy to put them over the top and turk would have done it. im sure they will find someone else to take his place

right now i say the mavs are 5th in the west right but you never know what moves other teams are going to make around the league. 2 though i dont think so

They were only 4 games out of 2nd in the west last year. They added 2 solid players. Its not insane to think they could finish in 2nd. 2-7 in the West is going to be a crap shoot. I think the Spurs are better and I also like the Blazers but 2nd is in reach