PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Mcdyess to a 2yr deal

akagiredsuns
07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ai0GtdrlfTs2Wq3oaB_aHoq8vLYF?slug=aw-mcdyess070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Coveted free agent Antonio McDyess has decided to sign with the San Antonio Spurs, two sources told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon.

McDyess, 34, will sign a three-year deal that guarantees him $15 million.

McDyess’ decision had come down to the Spurs, Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers.

McDyess, a 6-10 forward, averaged 9.6 points and 9.8 rebounds for the Pistons last season.

The Spurs have a successful summer and thrust themselves back into championship contention. General manager R.C. Buford has retooled the team with Richard Jefferson, McDyess and a potential second-round steal in Pittsburgh forward DeJuan Blair.

TheHoopsProphet
07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
If anyone's going to beat the Lakers next year, it's the Spurs.

still1ballin
07-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice pick up....really fills that void down low.

Jahari Kavi
07-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Spurs will be incredibly tough next year.........their management is brilliant.......

BlinkManJan02
07-08-2009, 06:42 PM
wow the spurs are getting loaded. nice transactions and great draft.

Fmartinez86
07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
man the 30 year club is gonna whoop some ***

loki34
07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
that's great! wow.....pfft.

ManRam
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Great signing. McDyess is still a great two way player. Their starting 5 is looking SCARY. Best Spurs team in a while IMO.

akagiredsuns
07-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Great signing. McDyess is still a great two way player. Their starting 5 is looking SCARY. Best Spurs team in a while IMO.

Agreed, and they may bring in Glen "Big Baby" Davis, which would give the Spurs a solid starting 5 of Duncan, Davis, Jefferson, Ginobili, & Parker. With Mason Jr., Blair, McDyess, Hill, Bonner, & Finley coming off the bench. Things are looking up for the Spurs.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
The West justs keeps getting stronger.
A great pickup

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 07:01 PM
all about health. But the Spurs on paper look to be more than back. LA gets the nod as favorite since they are coming off a ring, but SA on paper looks just as good or better at this point, if healthy

Duncan>Bynum
McDyess<Gasol
Jefferson>Artest
Ginoboli<Kobe
Parker>Fisher

Ginoboli may come off the bench, but he is in when it matters. The bench nod goes slightly to LA.
Man, tough call on this

ManRam
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
all about health. But the Spurs on paper look to be more than back. LA gets the nod as favorite since they are coming off a ring, but SA on paper looks just as good or better at this point, if healthy

Duncan>Bynum
McDyess<Gasol
Jefferson>Artest
Ginoboli<Kobe
Parker>Fisher

Ginoboli may come off the bench, but he is in when it matters. The bench nod goes slightly to LA.
Man, tough call on this

Doing the > or < is always a terrible way of determining who is better. But regardless, I get your point. Both teams are very, very good. I think far and away the two best teams in the West (and I give a HEALTHY San Antonio team the edge right now, but Odom might swing my opinion).

KH12
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Spurs deserve an A+ for their offseason.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Doing the > or < is always a terrible way of determining who is better. But regardless, I get your point. Both teams are very, very good. I think far and away the two best teams in the West (and I give a HEALTHY San Antonio team the edge right now, but Odom might swing my opinion).

haha, it really is, thinking out loud, I never do that. But yeah, its a tough call.
If both stay healthy, should be an interesting matchup come playoff time

Pauleboman
07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
If the Spurs can stay healthy they should contend.Good for Antonio he should be a good fit canning those mid to baseline jumpers all night..Spurs look Solid..

ManRam
07-08-2009, 07:08 PM

Seriously. The drafted perfectly, they got an all-star in Jefferson for nothing. They got an underrated veteran in McDyess for a reasonable contract. More importantly, they'll be getting a healthy Manu. Spurs are the obvious off-season winners IMO.

hoop talk
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM

The front office is making great moves. Excellent upgrade

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
The Spurs front office shows yet again, that they run a pro team better than anyone. Small market, yet they have 4 rings in 10 years, and looked primed to contend for another one

Trouble87
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
great pick up for the Spurs

ElMarroAfamado
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
this is fine and dandy
the Spurs aint doing anything anyway.....
they are done.....
and aint doing nothing as long as kobe or the west is as tough as it is...

x_notorious
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Seriously. The drafted perfectly, they got an all-star in Jefferson for nothing. They got an underrated veteran in McDyess for a reasonable contract. More importantly, they'll be getting a healthy Manu. Spurs are the obvious off-season winners IMO.

Since when was Jefferson an All-Star?

Good move by the Spurs to sign McDyess. If the squad can stay healthy, they'll surely contend for a title next season.

ManRam
07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Since when was Jefferson an All-Star?

Good move by the Spurs to sign McDyess. If the squad can stay healthy, they'll surely contend for a title next season.

Ok. You win.

All-star (almost) caliber player. Regardless, Jefferson and McDyess are both great additions.

Korman12
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
this is fine and dandy
the Spurs aint doing anything anyway.....
they are done.....

I know they're older than pretty much every other team, but why would you say they're "done" already?

showtym24
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Good one less team after LO.

shep33
07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Great pickup for the spurs. But I still think they're behind the lakers if LA gets odom back. Spurs got a couple of disadvantages... age and lack of height. If ginobili gets hurt their chances are done. Artest and Jefferson is a scratch. The front lines are pretty much even, though if Bynum plays like he did before he got injured, i'd give a slight advantage to the lakeshow just b/c him and Gasol are 7ft+. Parker is gonna dominate... but the x-factor... nobody on SA can guard kobe. Its the same problem the Nuggets had in the playoffs.

madiaz3
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Duncan>Bynum
McDyess<Gasol
Jefferson>Artest
Ginoboli<Kobe
Parker>Fisher

Man, tough call on this

Jefferson might be better when you think about who you'd want on your team, but the chances of Artest shutting down RJ are much greater than the other way around, at best, it's a wash and it's an equal matchup.

NFLNBA
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM

Duncan>Bynum
McDyess<Gasol
Jefferson>Artest
Ginoboli<Kobe
Parker>Fisher

Man, tough call on this

Completly Disagree with that 1 but the rest are correct, Spurs are looking pretty good, but Duncan is having prob with those old knees we will have to see how he holds up. If Odom resigns with the Lakers then Lakers are the best team in the west still

Also Jefferson was never a All-Star, Artest was a all-star and has been the NBA defensive player of the year and was on numorous all defensive 1st teams. Jefferson is just a high fly act and is a good player that gets all-star money. So i dont even see how anyone can even say Jefferson is better or equal to Artest?

SeoulBeatz
07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
underrated move by the spurs. Vet Bigs thrive in that system and mcdeezy has a great midrange touch that will compliment Timmy down low.

Dont sleep on the spurs, but u will of course, because they are the spurs. they are the 2nd best team in the West IMO

Tony Parker
Manu
RJ
Mcdysse
Tim Duncan

that is a very potent team that is perfect for the halfcourt offense.

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
If anyone's going to beat the Lakers next year, it's the Spurs.

I think they will battle all year for that #1 seed.

akagiredsuns
07-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Wow Jefferson better than Artest are you kidding me? LOL Artest is a better defender and will be the enforcer on the Lakers. Jefferson is nowhere near Artest.

TmacBryant
07-09-2009, 02:00 AM
George Hill/ Parker
Roger Mason/ Udoka/ Nando De Colo ( 16.5 ppg in spanish league/Ginobli
Finley/ Richard Jefferson
Bonner/ Mcdyess
Gooden /Duncan

Lakers are going to get dominated if they dont get Odom back.

SpursFEVA!
07-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Oh give me a break. Can we remember which Ron Artest we are talking about here? This is the same Artest who in the playoffs last season was a ball hog and made stupid offensive possessions. Not to mention he is arrogant. If we are talking strictly about skills then I would agree there is no comparison in regards to Jefferson. But those aren't the only factors that come into play in REALITY. I think its going to be interesting to see how Ron Artest acts on and off the court and how well he gels with Kobe (personality wise). Because apparently by what some sports analysts are saying... Lamar Odom really needs to be present to act as a buffer. And if a player HAS to be there to be a buffer between Artest and the Lakers, there is bound to be drama. Then again, we are talking about the Lakers... Should be an interesting season.