PDA

View Full Version : Can you build a team around CP3 and win multiple titles?

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Can you build a team around CP3 and win multiple titles where he is the best player on the team?

masalex1205
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
of course

Raps18-19 Champ
07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
You can build around most stars in the NBA and win titles with the right supporting cast.

Even guys like Bosh, Amare and Yao.

JWO35
07-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes

Blah Blah Blah
07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
of course he can but he needs a second all star next to him, who won't be the face of the franchise or anything but an all star nonetheless. David West aint really an allstar player tho. Need someone better. Of course some good quality role players which they were lacking in, especially their bench.

abe_froman
07-08-2009, 04:31 PM
why wouldnt he be?

SeoulBeatz
07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
hm can u build a team around the best PG in the league who hasn't even entered his prime yet and win a few chips?

sure, why not?

Method28
07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
of course u can...Paul is the ultimate team player

BkOriginalOne
07-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Chris Paul
Raja Bell
Carmelo
Kmart
Nene

Lakers4ItAll
07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
No I think you need to build your team around the best scorer and your PG should not be that person.

primetime10
07-08-2009, 04:57 PM
apparently it takes a little more than the current chris paul. either an older, more experienced one or a chris paul paired with more talented teammates. To be honest, i cant think of a team in recent history that rode their pg (as the premier player) to a championship. maybe chauncey with detroit, but he was only arguably the best player on that team, with a supporting cast that was lightyears better than the one paul works with.

championships start and end with having something formidable in the middle accompanied by a serious athlete on the wing. think about it this way: if you were to establish a new franchise, and their was a big man and point guard both with the same roof of foreseeable potential, who would you take? probably the big man. everything else just pushes you over the top (ie pierce and garnett w/ allen. garnetts presence clearly determines whether they are good enough). kobe couldnt win a championship between shaq and gasol, and if lebron puts one in with shaq--the wing/big man formula is only further proved.

primetime10
07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
but chris paul is still ****ing awesome

abe_froman
07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
apparently it takes a little more than the current chris paul. either an older, more experienced one or a chris paul paired with more talented teammates. To be honest, i cant think of a team in recent history that rode their pg (as the premier player) to a championship..
you cant,really?

theuuord
07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Sure, if he has a competent big man to play off of.

Joshtd1
07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I think if they could add a SG who could score for himself constantly, to relieve the burden of CP3 having to do all the work, they would be so much better.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Yea but my Hornets dont know how to make a team right.

sparty
07-08-2009, 05:52 PM
biedrins 9 mill
bass 5mill
g wallace 9.5
rip hamilton 11
cp3 13mill
leaves you about 14 million left give or take, for the bench

BUCSFORLIFE123
07-08-2009, 05:59 PM
if he has a big man down low like al jefferson yea. he jus needs the right supporting cast and a right bench. david west and tyson chandler doest work out, west is a jump shooter.

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
If he has the right players around him, then yes.

k08E24MVP
07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah!

zambo4president
07-08-2009, 06:08 PM
CP3
J-Rich
Iggy
Al Jeff
Bogut

Bench
Nate Robinson
Chuck Hayes
Rasual Butler
Corey Maggette
Roy Hibbert
Anderson Varejao
Kyle Korver

I think thats a reasonable team probably could nab a title or 2.

hockeypro68
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Seriously you're asking that? CP3 has a chance to be one of the best point guards to play the game. YES, you can build a championship team around him.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
C-Chandler(10 mil)
PF-Amare(15 mil)
SF-Posey(6 mil)
SG-Battier(6 mil)
PG-Paul(13 mil)

Theres enough money for a solid bench. 19 mil can get you a good 6th man and 4-5 solid players.

ManRam
07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Best point guard in the league...of course you can build a team around him and win. It might take some time, because New Orleans isn't there yet...but he makes it a lot easier. Get him a top 15 player, even a top 20, and they'll be a force. His best player has been David West, a guy who without Paul isn't a top 40-50 player.

KnicksorBust
07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
No. He's not a game closer.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
yes, if he had some help. They struggle to score unless he either does it himself, or sets someone up for an easy look, and West is not an elite PF, he has ridden Paul's coat tails for 2 years. They need to bring in a player who can create for himself, and get some depth. But yes, for sure, you can build around the best pure PG in the world

primetime10
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
no abe, i cant. can you?

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
No. He's not a game closer.

Im assuming you mean he doesnt close the game; as in score or win at the end.

I disagree terribly, he has hit so many game tiers and winners during his career. Also Last year they should the people with the most fourth quarter points.
The list was-
1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Paul
4. Wade

uncblue2332
07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I say no how many teams lead by a PG have won a championship recently. Obviousl if you throw 3 or 4 all-stars in a lineup then yes but that isnt going to happen. In my opinion if he does win a championship it wont be his it will be the star big man he needs. Ala Tony Parker and Tim Duncan

KnicksorBust
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM

I disagree terribly, he has hit so many game tiers and winners during his career. Also Last year they should the people with the most fourth quarter points.
The list was-
1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Paul
4. Wade

Maybe game closer is the wrong expression. He doesn't elevate and dominate in big games like the other elite players do. Hell I mean Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson are up near the top of 4th quarter scorers, that's not the point.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Maybe game closer is the wrong expression. He doesn't elevate and dominate in big games like the other elite players do. Hell I mean Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson are up near the top of 4th quarter scorers, that's not the point.

But even that statement is false because he does elevate and dominate in big games. Its just that the other people on the Hornets don't. And he spends so much energy during the regular season keeping the Hornets in the playoffs, he is fatigued in the playoffs which is understandible. Give him depth at the PG position then he won't be tired, because Daniels and Devin Brown aren't getting it done. Thats why we drafted Darren Collison.

KnicksorBust
07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
But even that statement is false because he does elevate and dominate in big games. Its just that the other people on the Hornets don't. And he spends so much energy during the regular season keeping the Hornets in the playoffs, he is fatigued in the playoffs which is understandible. Give him depth at the PG position then he won't be tired, because Daniels and Devin Brown aren't getting it done. Thats why we drafted Darren Collison.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Fatigued for the playoffs. I hate that crap.

I'm a Knicks fan. I saw both games vs. the Knicks (2 wins for us even though we don't have a PG) and I saw the playoff series vs the Nuggets. TOTALLY UNDERWHELMING. I actually like Chris Paul and think what he does with his scoring/passing/steals is remarkable. Never happened before. Plus he shoots high percentages. But the question is clear, can you built a team around him and win. I say no. You need an equally or more talented big man for him to win.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Fatigued for the playoffs. I hate that crap.

I'm a Knicks fan. I saw both games vs. the Knicks (2 wins for us even though we don't have a PG) and I saw the playoff series vs the Nuggets. TOTALLY UNDERWHELMING. I actually like Chris Paul and think what he does with his scoring/passing/steals is remarkable. Never happened before. Plus he shoots high percentages. But the question is clear, can you built a team around him and win. I say no. You need an equally or more talented big man for him to win.

but then you gotta say that about every other PG because there is no reason u cant build around paul but u can build around another PG

unwantedplayer
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM
All Cp3 needs is a SG can shoot ( Ben Gordon, Ray Allen, etc.) and a forward that plays defense.

Tmac,lt,berkman
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes he is the best pg in the league they just need better players around him...get rid of peja and bring in another scoring threat maybe a center...and i think they have a great shot.

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
So what else does his team need at the moment?

Is David West a good enough 2nd option?

tland22
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
OF COURSE! Only because he undoubtedly makes every single player around him better...look what he did for David West and Tyson Chandler. Imagine if he had anyone on his team that was already a good solid player and didnt need CP3 to turn them into a solid player. He'd raise the akready solid/good player's game to an entire new level.

Look at Chris Paul's numbers...they are ridiculous for a PG. As much as he passes, he still scores in bunches and gets steals etc...he is the coach as well LOL

S-Dot
07-09-2009, 04:31 PM

no!! the 17-foot assassin cannot get the job done as a 2nd option for a title

tland22
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM

The list was-
1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Paul
4. Wade

WOW, great point Vinny. I didnt know that. There area lot of great comments on this topic :clap:

tland22
07-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I think West is a good second option, BUT he shouldnt be the 2nd option. Hornets need a SG or SF as the 2nd scoring option...then D west could be a GREAT 3rd option. Hornets need Rip Hamilton or someone like that to be a 2nd option....or 1st option...either way. Hornets keep D West, and add a real allstar or a real solid SG or SF...then theyd be golden. If the Hornets had Rip, Vince Carter, or Richard Jeff for instance...then the Hornes would be GOLDEN.

clehmun
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
the key word here is MULTIPLE titles!
it's hard to build around a PG, and it's even harder to win multiple titles with him.

will CP3 in his prime better than tim duncan, shaq, kobe in their prime? i doubt it, and that's the level you have to be in inorder to win MULTIPLE titles.
he is the best PG in the league right now, but winning MULTIPLE titles is just that difficult.

i'm not saying he won't for sure, but 90% of you guys are saying yes without really thinking about it and thinks it's an obvious question.

who are the best point guards of the past decade? how many of them have 2 or more titles being the clear cut best player on their team?

jerz89
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
if you said no your a hater plain and simple

NYtilIdie
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but you need the right pieces. He needs a better wing man and 3. They have Chandler who plays d and West can score, but whose on the outside? Peja he didn't do anything last year besides visit the trainer and has hit his downside. Butler has his nights, snd Wright can be a beast if he gets more minutes.

NO had a chance and their chance was 2 seasons ago. If he does get a ring it will most likely be somewhere else.

Chronz
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Not so confident as you guys, when was the last time a midget led his team to a championship?

mikantsass
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
No I think you need to build your team around the best scorer and your PG should not be that person.

Agreed

tland22
07-09-2009, 05:27 PM
its the nature of the PG position.... you MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUST have other players that are good on your team to win. But certainly CP3 can be the best player on a multiple title team....of course.

KnicksorBust
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Not so confident as you guys, when was the last time a midget led his team to a championship?

Isiah Thomas and he got two. But shhh that hurts my argument. ;)

Lone Maverick
07-09-2009, 05:46 PM

I don't think so personally.

I think CP3 CAN win multiple titles, will he? Doubtful in NO I'd say.

theuuord
07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Isiah Thomas and he got two. But shhh that hurts my argument. ;)

Isaiah Thomas also had Bill Laimbeer & Dennis Rodman in the frontcourt, with Adrian Dantley and Joe Dumars in the back. I would even say it's debatable that he was the most efficient player on that team (although I personally would say that he was).

Sportfan
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
if he gets a big and a wing he could trust to score yes

theuuord
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM

For a title?

Think of it this way.

Pau Gasol was the 2nd option on the championship team.
The entire Magic team was the 2nd option on the runners-up (Lewis, Turkoglu last year, Nelson during the season, and now Carter can all lay claim to this).
Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker are second options on championship teams.
Either Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen (assuming Pierce is the first option) is the second option on the Celtics.
Now Shaq is the second option for the Cavs.

David West is not in that class of players.

Vinny642
07-09-2009, 06:46 PM
West isnt a good enough option for our second option, no way but he can defintely be the third, he is one of the least worries on the Hornets team. If we had a real second option at the SG or SF position, maybe we can do without Chandler, maybe not then we'd have a contending team. But right now the Hornets are a two man team.

SteveNash
07-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Isaiah Thomas also had Bill Laimbeer & Dennis Rodman in the frontcourt, with Adrian Dantley and Joe Dumars in the back. I would even say it's debatable that he was the most efficient player on that team (although I personally would say that he was).

Thomas never won a championship with Dantley.

No, you can't build a multiple championship winning team around Paul. The PG position is just too weak of a position in the NBA, better off building around a SG/SF/PF/C.

JordansBulls
07-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Thomas never won a championship with Dantley.

No, you can't build a multiple championship winning team around Paul. The PG position is just too weak of a position in the NBA, better off building around a SG/SF/PF/C.

Why is it weak?

jdricks
07-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Chris Paul
OJ Mayo
Shane Battier
Carlos Boozer
Kendrick Perkins

I think that team wins title(s)

There are tons of other combos that could do it as well.

CP
Raja Bell
Paul Pierce
KG
Chris Kaman

would win titles. So on....

SteveNash
07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Why is it weak?

Because it's the easiest position to find talent at.

Vinny642
07-09-2009, 08:47 PM

SG- SF????

lol after center PG is the hardest

Kabowdos
07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I've said this many times before. The PG best player teams through out the last 30 years aren't that great.
Jason Kidd
John Stockton
CP3
Deron Williams
Steve Nash
Gary Payton
0 titles (except Gary has one, but it was when he played for the Heat)
Really since Magic Johnson there has not been a championship with their best player a PG.
Isiah Thomas is arguable, he may not have been the best player when the Pistons won. Before Magic it was Tiny Archibald in 1981.

Kabowdos
07-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Why is it weak?
Look above post.

In the last 30 years... there were only three PGs to win the Finals MVP... Tony Parker, Magic Johnson, and Isiah Thomas... it could be longer.

Tim Duncan is more of the reason for the championship than TP.

I think their might only be four or five PGs that have ever won the Finals MVP.

SteveNash
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
SG- SF????

lol after center PG is the hardest

?

Just ask yourself this. Why is it that the Center position is so hard to fill?

Vinny642
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
?

Just ask yourself this. Why is it that the Center position is so hard to fill?

No lol I know the center position is the hardest , one reason is because its hard to find good big men. But im saying the PG isnt weak or easy to find talent because the SG/Sf positions are

mavwar53
07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
You can build a team around anyone and win a title as long as the players are as good as the lakers got. Put paul on that team and take out kobe, I think they win.

Trouble87
07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
no because he's not a dominant kinda guy... he needs a great supporting cast and another superstar. Paul is a amazing PG but if he's the best guy on your team you will get no further than the playoffs

In J. Kidd's prime could you build a team around him where he's the best player on the team? they tried and failed... Paul in my mind is the same thing as Kidd in his prime

SteveNash
07-09-2009, 11:36 PM
No lol I know the center position is the hardest , one reason is because its hard to find good big men. But im saying the PG isnt weak or easy to find talent because the SG/Sf positions are

I know, what I'm asking is why is it so hard to find good big men? There has to be a reason right? What is the reason why it's so hard to find a quality big?

jdillion
07-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Of course you can build a championship team with Cp3 as the best player. The only thing is that Chris Paul cannot be the best scorer. Look at the Spurs last championship. Duncan was clearly the best player, but Parker and Ginobilli were by far the best scorers on that team. So if the Hornets can find Cp3 a nice, athletic wing player who can create his own shot, a la Richard Jefferson. You can expect to see Cp3 grab at least one title before he calls it quit.

theuuord
07-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I know, what I'm asking is why is it so hard to find good big men? There has to be a reason right? What is the reason why it's so hard to find a quality big?

there are less of them.

dee279
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
You get Chris Paul and Dwight Howard on the same team, they would be unstoppable.

dee279
07-10-2009, 12:29 AM
but to answer the question of course

tland22
07-10-2009, 03:09 AM

WHAT? The PG position is easiest to find talen at? Do you watch the game of basketball? I know that in your head and heart, that you KNOW that the easiest position to find talent at is th SG or SF position...look how many good SG and SF's there are in the NBA compared to how many good PG's there are. Just look. Look how many GREAT SG's and SF's there are to how many GREAT PG's there are. PG and center are the HARDEST positions to find talent at. Believe that mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

tland22
07-10-2009, 03:12 AM
You can build a team around anyone and win a title as long as the players are as good as the lakers got. Put paul on that team and take out kobe, I think they win.

great point....yea, put paul on celtics instead of Rondo...put paul on Cavs instead of Mo...put Paul on Magic instead of Jaqueer Nelson etc... you get the point

JordansBulls
07-10-2009, 09:42 AM

:confused:

Raoul Duke
07-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Of COURSE you can win with CP3 as your centerpiece! Am I the only one that thinks this is a dumb poll?

Because guys that are good basketball players that are also 6ft 10in or taller are much rarer than guys that are good basketball players that are 6ft 10in and under. Hence, any such guys are usually signed to long term deals and aren't easy to get in trade.

Durant is hype
07-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Of COURSE you can win with CP3 as your centerpiece! Am I the only one that thinks this is a dumb poll?

Because guys that are good basketball players that are also 6ft 10in or taller are much rarer than guys that are good basketball players that are 6ft 10in and under. Hence, any such guys are usually signed to long term deals and aren't easy to get in trade.

Good post.

Rattlehead2006
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I would say no. You never really see any championship teams built around their point guards (unless I'm overlooking someone big). It's usually a more dominant scorer or a dominant big man that solid championship dynasties are built around. As good as Paul is, unless you have a more dominant player on the team than him, I don't know if they'll ever be able to win the championship. Look at Steve Nash and the Suns for those years when he was at his prime. PG is an important piece, just not something you can build around.

DreamShaker
07-10-2009, 10:32 AM
CP3 is not really a go-to guy...put him with someone like Melo, Danny Granger, Beasley, or Durant....and you can win it all...say you had a team of...

CP3
Ariza
Melo
Scola
Noah

with a bench like...
Varejo
Kyle Korver
Rafer Alston
Gortat
Delonte West

You could compete to win it all...

DreamShaker
07-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I would say no. You never really see any championship teams built around their point guards (unless I'm overlooking someone big). It's usually a more dominant scorer or a dominant big man that solid championship dynasties are built around. As good as Paul is, unless you have a more dominant player on the team than him, I don't know if they'll ever be able to win the championship. Look at Steve Nash and the Suns for those years when he was at his prime. PG is an important piece, just not something you can build around.

Isaiah Thomas, Chauncey Billups, and Magic Johnson all led teams to championships...

jrice9
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Chris Paul is the best point guard of the last 10 years so hes an intersting experiment. He is/will be better than Stockton, Nash, Billups, Thomas, Deron, Parker are. It will be intersting if they can make a team around him. I think they can, but he needs a legit 2nd option imo like every superstar does even Lebron

tland22
07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
CP3 is not really a go-to guy...put him with someone like Melo, Danny Granger, Beasley, or Durant....and you can win it all...say you had a team of...

CP3
Ariza
Melo
Scola
Noah

with a bench like...
Varejo
Kyle Korver
Rafer Alston
Gortat
Delonte West

You could compete to win it all...

see, I think CP3 is a go to guy.... And yea you can win multi titles with CP3, of course he neeeds help though, who doesnt?! And if he is on a team with any of those you named: Melo, Beasley, Durant, Granger etc... thats fine with ANY of them, but CP3 would still be the best player on that team. So yea you can win with CP3 being your best player... he'd be the best player on most teams in the NBA right now...no brainer.

tland22
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Chris Paul is the best point guard of the last 10 years so hes an intersting experiment. He is/will be better than Stockton, Nash, Billups, Thomas, Deron, Parker are. It will be intersting if they can make a team around him. I think they can, but he needs a legit 2nd option imo like every superstar does even Lebron

stellar point

magichatnumber9
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
The answer is hell yeah. Unfortunately his team is just banking off his popularity rather then building a competitor.

Droopie28
07-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I believe he needs a sidekick, like... wade

DreamShaker
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
see, I think CP3 is a go to guy.... And yea you can win multi titles with CP3, of course he neeeds help though, who doesnt?! And if he is on a team with any of those you named: Melo, Beasley, Durant, Granger etc... thats fine with ANY of them, but CP3 would still be the best player on that team. So yea you can win with CP3 being your best player... he'd be the best player on most teams in the NBA right now...no brainer.

Not saying he wouldn't be the best player...he...in my opinion...just works better if he doesn't have to be the primary scorer as well as the primary distributor...

tland22
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
^^^^ yea I agree with that one