PDA

View Full Version : Rockets obtain Disabled Player Exception; use it to sign Ariza

SC1211
07-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Aaaaaaaand they keep the MLE. Gotta love Daryl.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090708_rockets_ariza_yao

Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Ariza
Yao Says He Still Has Big Decision to Make
Updated: Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 08 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM CDT

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets used the NBA Disabled Player Exception to sign free agent forward Trevor Ariza, according to general manager Daryl Morey.

The NBA granted the Disabled Player Exception based on the fact that Yao Ming is not expected to play next season because of his broken left foot.

"As a course of business to give us maximum flexibility, we applied for an injury exception for Yao and it was granted by the league," Morey said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports on Wednesday. "That will allow us to use the Mid-Level Exception to improve the Rockets roster going forward."

By granting the Disabled Player Exception, the NBA is agreeing with the Rockets that it is unlikely that Yao will play during the 2009-2010 season. However, it does not rule out Yao's return. Also, in the unlikely event that Yao does play next season, the Rockets would not be penalized.

The value of the NBA Disabled Player Exception is identical to the Mid-Level Exception. They both begin at approximately $5.8 million per year.

The Rockets chose to use the Disabled Player Exception on Ariza because the NBA only allows it to be used on one player. The Mid-Level Exception can be broken up and used on one or more players.

While Yao is not expected to play next season, he has yet to determine how he will treat his injury going forward.

"I am still considering what course of action is best," Yao said in a statement to FOX 26 Sports issued through his agent John Huizinga.

"Once a decision has been made, I will let people know and I will proceed with the same high level of optimism and dedication that I have had in the past. I look forward to returning to play as soon as my recovery allows."

DerekRE_3
07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
That's pretty nice for the Rockets.

Joshtd1
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
That is pretty big for them....

what54!?
07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
wow smart thinking

ManRam
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Savvy. They have a lot of work to do, and getting Ariza, without using the MLE, is huge.

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
This is a setup. They know Yao will come back but just aren't saying anything so that they get a player for free basically.

DerekRE_3
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
This is a setup. They know Yao will come back but just aren't saying anything so that they get a player for free basically.

I highly doubt that. And I guess playing a guy 5.8 mil is getting him for free...

Lakers4ItAll
07-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Great move by the Rockets, I still don't see them making the playoffs reguardless of who they also sign

brandt
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM

You are not only an idiot but a jerk as well. The Rocket's organization is the last organization to try and pull something like that. Do you realize how many games Yao has missed due to injuries? It's called being smart, not stupid, like your post!

SensandRaps
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM

its not a setup, yao has been injured so many times its not funny, getting ariza without using the MLE is great for them and in the off chance that yao does make it back by the end of the season they will only be stronger

zambo4president
07-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Damn Rockets pulled a fast one, good move. I wonder who they will throw the MLE at.

theuuord
07-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Probably. And it's a good one.

Verbal Christ
07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
darryl morey - one of; if not THE BEST GM in the league.

TheHoopsProphet
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I think the Rockets will be right back in the thick of things by the 2010-11 season. They could sign Boozer, Bosh, or Stoudemire to play with Brooks, Ariza, Battier, Landry, and Scola.