PDA

View Full Version : Report: JP acting on orders from Doc

stiven
07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Just saw this posted on sportsnet, doesnt look encouraging, Ill be pissed if we trade Doc, its a step backwards in my opinion.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/07/08/ricciardi_halladay_trade_update/

nstojic
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Jays Claw
07-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Roy Halladay can't be doing this.

It's just not him.

2009mvp
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
According to the latest online report surrounding the future of Roy Halladay in Toronto, it was on the Doc's orders that J.P. Ricciardi began fielding offers for the 2003 Cy Young Award winner.

Which one is that? It's not that I'm in denial and refuse to believe the story, but it doesn't sound like SNet did any due diligence with this story, and there certainly doesn't seem to be much within the article that supports the claim made by the title.

Jays Claw
07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
If Roy Halladay does leave then who is our ace?

nstojic
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
^^ well duuuuuuuh, simple... Brian Burres!

serratedmuffin
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Lets be honest here. He has spent a long time with the jays without a sniff of the postseason. I think he has put enough time in that if this report is true, I wouldn't be angry at him for it. This brings up an interesting scenario.
A: Trade him this year and get a monster package due to his low salary and extra year or...
B: keep him, next year try and compete and if we fall behind trade him, or go for broke.

JMHO

blujaysrock
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
If he leaves I think we will lose a huge percent of our fans and the attendance will drop like crazy. JP is just going to **** himself over.

fatkev78
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
That's the only way you trade Doc - if he wants to be traded.

2009mvp
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Good ole SNet, you'd think the network that covers the Jays might have some credibility...
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2009/07/ricciardi_on_ha.html

Talked to Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi. He also will be a guess when I co-host The Show this afternoon from 4-6 p.m. on Sirius 210/XM175. He made these 10 points in our phone conversation about the potential of trading Roy Halladay:
4. This is not a decision initiated by Halladay. In other words, Halladay did not come to Toronto and say, "get me out of here, my baseball biological clock is ticking and I want to go some place I can win and get paid."

Also of note:

7. What kind of deal would it take to get Halladay: "Imagine you have a house worth $500,000 and weren't really interested in selling it, but someone offered $1.2 million. That would make you at least listen. So if someone is that motivated we will listen."
10. "We have kept him from free agency twice and I don't think we have the resources to keep him from free agency a third time, so I have to investigate what is out there," Ricciardi said. "But my gut feeling is no trade gets done because we value him as one of the five best players in the game, and I don't think people will meet the price tag for that kind of talent."

The last part is what I've been saying all along. I think it's all about making the right pitch to Doc come the offseason to sell him on the fact that we're just about ready to see the young guns really producing and helping this club. If he's willing to sign an extension then you do it, if not, that's when you know if you deal him or you keep trotting him out there and reevaluate this time next year.

Rochesta
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
^^ Yeah, but...

6. Ricciardi said that Halladay has provided a long list of places he would not be willing to play, but the Toronto GM would not say if either New York club was on that list.

So he's taken the time to discuss trade scenarios to that extent at least.

JAYZFAN9
07-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I honestly think ill cry if he gets traded

FLeays
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
If the Jays can get a couple of bonafide prospects (and maybe a solid prospect) and tank this season without Halladay for a nice draft pick would it be worth it if the Jays have a nice team in a couple of years?

It is clear Wells and Rios cannot carry this offense...but with Snider, Lind, and Hill the Jays have a nice nucleous to build from for the offense. The pitching depth appears to be there even without Halladay. The Rays were the AL Champs without a 15 game winner last season. The Jays can win without Halladay if they get a nice set of prospects in return.

Frank Costanza
07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I honestly think ill cry if he gets traded

im with you jayzfan9 in in like complete blinders denial right now the same denail and 13 yr old child has of his/her parents doing the nasty in the next room,

JAYZFAN9
07-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Doc needs to be a jay for life..

I can honestly say I will completely lose interest and not spend another dollar on this team if he goes..

nithanyo
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
i wont go to any more baseball games if Doc gets traded. I wont even watch this game either

and id change by cable company to Bell and get my fone from Telus

Oh yea id get my internet from Bell as well

frostilicus
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Nice to see there are some rational people posting in the jays forum. Jeebus! Changing your phone and cable company because of a baseball team... that's certifiably insane.

1hardcore
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!!!
Loyal ????? Doc was waaaaaaaaay more than loyal for more than 10 years!!!!

This was soooooooooo obvious and i knew this was coming from the start!!!. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! THIS IS PURELY BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

1hardcore
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM

I can honestly say I will completely lose interest and not spend another dollar on this team if he goes..

Tell me the last Blue jays player who was drafted as a Blue Jay and remained with that team for his whole career

bomber0104
07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I refuse to believe it until a credible source comes out with the news. I could start a rumor here and you could say its an online source.

But if this time has really come, we got to take what we can and bolt

Zaunnie
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
If Doc gets traded I'm going to completely convert to a Braves fan. At least their games will be worth watching.

AmmoWasted
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Nice to see there are some rational people posting in the jays forum. Jeebus! Changing your phone and cable company because of a baseball team... that's certifiably insane.

They're much more than JUST a baseball team to me...

jaysfan55
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
WE all have to face the fear sometime...For the right deal Halladay is going to pitch somewhere else (hopefully the NL) but he wants to win and deserves to win. I just hope dumb *** jp makes the right deal.. we dont want 3 top prospects for doc, we need a top producer, a starter and a prospect. Plain and simple... Cardinals,Angels are at the top of the list of teams who are putting together a deal..

Halladay and Wells to Angels for Hunter, Lackey and prospect

Halladay and Wells to Cardinals for Carpenter, Ludwick, and a prospect

This way we get decent starter in return a good bat, and some young stud.. we free up well's huge contract and do some shopping in the offseason

Zaunnie
07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
WE all have to face the fear sometime...For the right deal Halladay is going to pitch somewhere else (hopefully the NL) but he wants to win and deserves to win. I just hope dumb *** jp makes the right deal.. we dont want 3 top prospects for doc, we need a top producer, a starter and a prospect. Plain and simple... Cardinals,Angels are at the top of the list of teams who are putting together a deal..

This way we get decent starter in return a good bat, and some young stud.. we free up well's huge contract and do some shopping in the offseason

facepalm.

FLeays
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Again for a nice set of prospects it might not be bad to trade Halladay. Rays did it last season without a 15 game winner!!!! Jays need offense and it ain't coming from Wells or Rios.

superdude211
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I feel that I may be alone in the belief that trading Roy Halladay will vastly improver the Blue Jays not only for this year but for years to come. Now dont get me wrong I have been a loyal Jays fan for years and have a lot of respect for a player, who despite not playing for a winner or in a baseball town has stayed so motivated and loyal. Halladay is a one of a kind player and if he played in a major market would be touted as one of the best pitchers of this generation.

If the Jays do in fact trade Halladay it will be a sad day for any Blue Jays fan and I don't think there is one loyal fan who will not cheer Halladay every time he returns to Toronto. With Halladay the Jays have been a .500 team despite all the wins he has put up and has not sniffed the playoffs in years. I think it is time the Jays reload and that begins with trading Halladay, once again i said reload and not rebuild. Halladay is the kind of player who in a trade can bring the Jays a kings ransom.

According to a few sources I have seen online the return the Jays can get for Halladay is
a) a young SP
b) a young roster player
c) a top pitching prospect
d) a top hitting prospect

a trade such as this could bolster a Jays roster for this year and for years to come. An example of what the Jays could add this year is: "A deal for Halladay would probably cost the Angels pitcher Jered Weaver, a top pitching prospect such as Trevor Reckling or Jordan Walden, top hitting prospect Brandon Wood and a young big leaguer such as Erick Aybar or Howie Kendrick.-- LA Times"
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/mlb#72

Jared Weaver be our number 1/2 starter right away, Brandon Wood would give the Jays the option of trading Rolen, whos stock is as high as its going to be, for prospects, with the success of young pitchers in Toronto this year a top pitching prospect could turn into a number 1/2 for the Jays fairly soon and athletisism to the Jays middle infield and again could allow the Jays to move Scutaro (who's stock is also at its peak )

I'm not saying that exact deal will happen but a deal similar to that could give the Jays a lot of options in terms of multiple trades and set them up to over haul thier line up in one season and hopefully be contenders sooner rather than later.

H-MYK
07-08-2009, 08:12 PM
If Doc gets traded, I'm going into super mega ***** mode. There will be hell to pay.

FLeays
07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I feel that I may be alone in the belief that trading Roy Halladay will vastly improver the Blue Jays not only for this year but for years to come. Now dont get me wrong I have been a loyal Jays fan for years and have a lot of respect for a player, who despite not playing for a winner or in a baseball town has stayed so motivated and loyal. Halladay is a one of a kind player and if he played in a major market would be touted as one of the best pitchers of this generation.

If the Jays do in fact trade Halladay it will be a sad day for any Blue Jays fan and I don't think there is one loyal fan who will not cheer Halladay every time he returns to Toronto. With Halladay the Jays have been a .500 team despite all the wins he has put up and has not sniffed the playoffs in years. I think it is time the Jays reload and that begins with trading Halladay, once again i said reload and not rebuild. Halladay is the kind of player who in a trade can bring the Jays a kings ransom.

According to a few sources I have seen online the return the Jays can get for Halladay is
a) a young SP
b) a young roster player
c) a top pitching prospect
d) a top hitting prospect

a trade such as this could bolster a Jays roster for this year and for years to come. An example of what the Jays could add this year is: "A deal for Halladay would probably cost the Angels pitcher Jered Weaver, a top pitching prospect such as Trevor Reckling or Jordan Walden, top hitting prospect Brandon Wood and a young big leaguer such as Erick Aybar or Howie Kendrick.-- LA Times"
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/mlb#72

Jared Weaver be our number 1/2 starter right away, Brandon Wood would give the Jays the option of trading Rolen, whos stock is as high as its going to be, for prospects, with the success of young pitchers in Toronto this year a top pitching prospect could turn into a number 1/2 for the Jays fairly soon and athletisism to the Jays middle infield and again could allow the Jays to move Scutaro (who's stock is also at its peak )

I'm not saying that exact deal will happen but a deal similar to that could give the Jays a lot of options in terms of multiple trades and set them up to over haul thier line up in one season and hopefully be contenders sooner rather than later.

I like something like this. Weaver, Romero, and Marcum is not a bad 1-2-3 if it comes with an improved offense. Rolen can be traded also for a decent prospect and the Jays would still get another pitching prospect.

ink
07-08-2009, 08:33 PM

And if the franchise player HAS TO BE TRADED, I sure as hell don't want JP to be making the trade. Just give this a bit of time. There's denials all around by the club so nothing is imminent.

gattaca
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
That's the only way you trade Doc - if he wants to be traded.

i agree.

I really hope we don't trade him.

I watch about 25 Jays games during the season: all of Halladay's games and games that involve Yankees or Red Sox. If he goes, I seriously will not watch as much baseball.

QUESTION:
Did we have a shot at Burnnett if we had offered him more money than the Spankees?
Can you imagine how well this year could have gone so far if we still had AJ?

MarkieMark48
07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Im for the team getting better, how about we trade Doc, tell him not to sign a long term contract, then get him back after 2010 :-)

bomber0104
07-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Im for the team getting better, how about we trade Doc, tell him not to sign a long term contract, then get him back after 2010 :-)

i was thinking of the chances of that happening

mike_noodles
07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
The problem is that we don't owe it to Doc to trade him to a possible contender. We owe it to Doc to put together a winner here in Toronto. If Doc gets traded, JP should be fired immediately, if not sooner.

Edit: we are closer to winning by trading a few of our prospects away and bringing in some top notch talent.

FLeays
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
The problem is that we don't owe it to Doc to trade him to a possible contender. We owe it to Doc to put together a winner here in Toronto. If Doc gets traded, JP should be fired immediately, if not sooner.

Edit: we are closer to winning by trading a few of our prospects away and bringing in some top notch talent.

You mean our pitchers....not a bad idea. But as you can see this season there is nothing wrong with a surplus of decent pitchers. :clap:

MarkieMark48
07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
i was thinking of the chances of that happening

i mean itd be smart, just tell him.. youll get paid here, dont worry

BB King
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
The Jays can't lose out on getting nothing for Doc. If dingo had traded AJ last year and got a good package of a starter and a young propect back and they trade Doc this year and get a monster package, the Jays are back in business in a couple of years. I'd rather see that happen then having them go out and make bad signings over and over again. I hate the thought of not having one of most dominant pitchets of our time but hoping that they build something for next year is not appealing to me.

nithanyo
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Halladay is the reason half of us watch this pathetic team. If you dont believe me start a poll or something. Trading Halladay would kill attendance and tv audience.

Think about it this way. In the last 7 years without Halladay we are the equivalent of the Baltimore Orioles.

BB King
07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Halladay is the reason half of us watch this pathetic team. If you dont believe me start a poll or something. Trading Halladay would kill attendance and tv audience.

Think about it this way. In the last 7 years without Halladay we are the equivalent of the Baltimore Orioles.

If they get two top young pitchers in return and good position player, I'm pretty excited about next year and the year after.

1hardcore
07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
The Mariners got rid of Griffey. Jr. A Rod and the Big unit.....

what did it get them ??? 116 wins in 2001 !!!

Think about it

Shifty1 69
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Tell me the last Blue jays player who was drafted as a Blue Jay and remained with that team for his whole career

Tell me any player that remains with his team for a whole career? There are odd exceptions (Jeter)... but its a business, maximize the asset. If Roy walks at the end of the contract, then the Jays are screwed if all they get are the picks. The Jays cant do it unless its a sweetheart of a deal. Why would they, Doc would still bring a great return next season at the deadline.
I know there are intangibles that wont get replaced (leadership etc), but a deal that brought my team 2 or more key pieces (Braun and Escobar or Kershaw/whoever, :rolleyes::D) then its worth considering.
It pains me to say this.... but I will move on if/when it happens.

Gibby
07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
its weird it sounded as if he was ok with 2009 season being a bridge to 2010 at begining of the season. I wonder if the hot streak got his expectations up and now he is dissapointment.

DON'T LEAVE DOC!!!:cry::cry::cry:

wowzman
07-09-2009, 02:41 AM

facepalm.

That is a facepalm that extends over the forehead and down the back of the neck!