PDA

View Full Version : "New Orleans Hornets quietly planning to make move to bolster their frontcourt depth"

tland22
07-08-2009, 01:17 AM
http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/07/new_orleans_hornets_quietly_pl.html

that is the article link. here is its contents from NOLA.com. It lists the players the Hornets are going after in FA....we arent expected to make moves until a few days pass, but who really knows! Im excited though that the list of players is actually quite alright. Im hoping for Bass, Davis, Wilcox, or Zaza Pachulia etc... any one would be fine, and Id consider somewhat of a success. Of course the priority has to be Bass and Davis etc... But who knows what we are willing to spen. WE HAVE THE HIGHEST PAYROLL IN THE NBA so who knows...check this out, in case you didnt know:

NBA payrolls

(as of June 30, 7:30 a.m., with trades, signings, these will adjust)
1. New Orleans $77,575,998
2. L.A. Lakers $76,759,733
3. Washington $75,808,291
4. Cleveland $74,493,925
5. Boston $73,376,991
6. Utah 72,049,799
7. San Antonio $71,135,775
8. Dallas $70,394,830
9. New York $70,353,475
10. Miami $69,681,632

Bower is an idiot obviously...the talent disgrepancy between us and the Lakers is GROSS, especially when you considering we dish out more money than them lol. Okay, i have hope though still. here is the Article's contents if you dont feel like clicking the link....

New Orleans Hornets quietly planning to make move to bolster their frontcourt depth
Posted by John Reid, The Times-Picayune July 07, 2009 9:08PM

As other NBA teams take an aggressive approach toward free agency, the Hornets and General Manager Jeff Bower have been low-key, though active in inquiring about available frontcourt players.

Although Bower has not pursued big-name free agents such as Rasheed Wallace (who is expected to sign with Boston today), Trevor Ariza (Houston) or Hedo Turkoglu (Toronto) to bolster the team's front line, he has expressed interest in several power forwards/centers in the past week, according to agents and league sources familiar with the situation.

The forwards on the Hornets' radar include Sacramento restricted free agent Ike Diogu, San Antonio unrestricted free agent Drew Gooden, Boston restricted free agent and former LSU star Glen Davis, Dallas unrestricted free agent and former LSU standout Brandon Bass, Cleveland unrestricted free agent Joe Smith and New York Knicks unrestricted free agent Chris Wilcox. At center, New Orleans is targeting two unrestricted free agents, Denver's Chris Andersen, a former Hornet, Atlanta's Zaza Pachulia.

Unrestricted free agents may sign with any team. Restricted players can sign offer sheets with any team, but their current team can match the offer and retain them.

Without question, according to a league source, the Hornets are aiming to address their frontcourt needs through free agency, though one of the first calls Bower made at the start of the free agency negotiating period last Wednesday was to Mark Bartelstein, agent for former Hornets guard Jannero Pargo.

The Hornets continue to pursue Pargo, but they have competition with Chicago Bulls, who are trying to replace shooting guard Ben Gordon, who agreed to a free-agent deal with the Detroit Pistons last week.
Hornets video: kids' basketball camp

Free agents can sign contracts today, but the Hornets are not expected to make any moves for the next few days. Bower and Coach Byron Scott departed Tuesday for the Las Vegas Summer League. While they're in Las Vegas, negotiations with prospective free agents are expected to intensify -- the summer league is a gathering spot for agents and general managers.

The Hornets' rivals in the Southwest Division have been active during free agency. San Antonio obtained Richard Jefferson in a trade last month from the Milwaukee Bucks and agreed to a deal with Marcus Haislip, a 6-foot-10 power forward/center who was one of the top players in Europe.

Ariza agreed to a deal to join the Houston Rockets. Dallas is expected to re-sign starting point guard Jason Kidd, and Orlando Magic restricted free-agent center Marcin Gortat has agreed to an offer sheet with the Mavericks. The Mavs also are working on a possible sign-and-trade deal to obtain Shawn Marion from the Toronto Raptors.

The Hornets are waiting for the market to set the price for the majority of the second-tier free agents they are pursuing.

Andersen has been negotiating with Denver for the past week. He was a vital defender during the Nuggets' first-round playoff series victory against the Hornets. Andersen reportedly is seeking a five-year, $25 million contract that would likely be out of the Hornets' price range.

New Orleans, San Antonio and Memphis have expressed interest in Davis, who averaged 15.8 points with Boston while filling in for injured starter Kevin Garnett during the playoffs this past season. The Celtics can match any offer for Davis, but he might be expendable after they reached a deal with Wallace.

Diogu, 25, is receiving only minimal interest and could agree to a deal for less than half of the $5.6 million mid-level exception. The Kings, however, have the right to match any offer. Diogu, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound power forward, was traded at midseason from the Portland Trail Blazers to the Kings after playing in 19 games and averaging 1.4 points. In 10 games with Sacramento he averaged 9.2 points.

Gooden, Smith and Wilcox are receiving minimal interest. The Hornets initially obtained Smith and Wilcox in a February trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder for center Tyson Chandler, but the deal was rescinded after Chandler failed a physical.

The Hornets might have difficulty obtaining Bass, who has drawn considerable interest on the open market and may be the subject of a bidding war. It could take a substantial portion of the Hornets' mid-level exception to sign him. The Hornets also remain interested in re-signing center Sean Marks, according to a league source.

Bower has declined comment during the negotiating period, but he said before the free-agency period that he planned to make contacts and see what the market is going to create.

The Hornets continue to shop Chandler. Phoenix has shown the most interest.

spacemandave
07-08-2009, 07:43 AM
i like the talk but looking at the payroll and shinns history i just cant believe the hornets are signing anyone significant until its done....like a lot of the guys theyre discussing though(birdman, zaza, diogu was good on SA)

BIGBREED
07-08-2009, 10:37 AM
tland22
Thats some good stuff!

tland22
07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
thank you mate!

Birdman was sign already with DENVER AS EXPECTED, SO HE IS OFF THE LIST.

I hear we still after Mikki Moore as well...so he is on the list

tland22
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Dang, looks like Hawks giving Zaza a multi year deal....so he is off the list too now officially

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Dam the GM and **** suck sometimes I believe I should be the GM, they are doing a terrible job.

Patrick Swayze
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Dam the GM and **** suck sometimes I believe I should be the GM, they are doing a terrible job.

I agree. They should hire me.

Out of that group, I really hope we can get Chris Wilcox.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I dont care who we get they all are the same(PF) we have more needs after that. IDK What the front office thinks they are doing.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Pargo signs with the Bulls

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-bulls070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Patrick Swayze
07-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Pargo signs with the Bulls

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-bulls070809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Saw that one coming.

tland22
07-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Damn...getting rough around here. Keeping fingers crossed

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
We might not get Bass now, our front office is doing terrible.

Patrick Swayze
07-08-2009, 08:04 PM
We might not get Bass now, our front office is doing terrible.

I'm not overly disappointed about not getting Pargo. What bothers is me that they are going after guys like Jake Voskul and Joe Smith.

Vinny642
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Yea, waste of money, at least with Bass we get a young player

tland22
07-09-2009, 03:46 AM
The BAD NEWS...MAVS sign sign Shawn Marion, who is damn good still. Our division is ridiculous, and we will struggle if everyone doesnt stay healthy AND if we fail to sign a contributor in this FA signing period.

The GOOD NEWS...Mavs very likely they wont be re-signing Brandon Bass....so essentially we are one step closer to getting him.

JDizzle
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
BAD NEWS...... the hornets are more content on making roster moves then signing bass right now and bass is not going to wait any longer... ****kkkkkkkk

tland22
07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
yea...here is that link:

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1247117468324650.xml&coll=1

im not too sure what to make of this. Im guessing the ONLY option we do have now to land someone decent is to do a sign and trade with a team BELOW the salary cap.
That doesnt sound very promising though.

tland22
07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
yea the same article at nola.com is titled "THE HORNETS APPEAR TO BE OUT OF THE RUNNING FOR BRANDON BASS" very discouraging.

tland22
07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
and we are in the same predicament with Glen Davis....it would have to be a sign and trade...and again, boston could match whatever offer

BIGBREED
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Lets just be alittle more patient with the Hornets front office. I know its hard seeing other teams doing work and the Hornets seems passive but as we all know, its ALL about money!
The Hornets still have options, which are:
- sign and trade which negates some penalty fees(as tland22 stated)
-Trade C- Tyson Chandler for a 1st RD draft pick(YES, the Hornets can trade a player for a draft pick)
-NBA salary cap change will benefit the Hornets if used properly(exemption)

I agree, the window is closing!

JDizzle
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Rather Get a player For Tyson such as t-mac so then we would be able to compete this year. Dont get me wrong first round pick is great but basically this season coming we wouldnt look like contenders without a center and also who knows if the person we get with the pick will be a promising player. rather get someone proven

tland22
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
i agree, we should be more patient with them. Things are jst kicking off, but yes, it is hard to have faith in our Front Office and its hard to watch other making moves etc...

BIGBREED
07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
i agree, we should be more patient with them. Things are jst kicking off, but yes, it is hard to have faith in our Front Office and its hard to watch other making moves etc...

I agree!

Whats that saying," You laugh to stop yourself from crying!"

lol, MAN.......its hard!

tland22
07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
hahahaha great saying!

Vinny642
07-09-2009, 06:38 PM
We better do something to contend because with the rotation we got we aren't going to contend, yea we might make the playoffs but thats it.

tland22
07-10-2009, 03:22 AM
exactly...we gunna make it to playoffs, but that is IT, FINITO!

This is the article from the NO Times-picayune

New Orleans Hornets say they continue to pursue free agents

On the verge of becoming the only team in the Southwest Division yet to make a free agent acquisition, Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said through team spokesman Harold Kaufman on Thursday they continue to pursue some of their targeted free agents that mostly includes frontcourt players.

"It's just a slower process, something that is not going to happen during the first few days of free agency,'' Bower said.

On Wednesday, the first day free agents could sign contracts, former Hornets power forward Brandon Bass said he could no longer wait on New Orleans to extend him a contract offer. Former Hornets center Chris Andersen agreed to a five-year, $26 million contract to remain with the Denver Nuggets and former Hornets point guard Jannero Pargo signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Chicago Bulls.

Bower said through Kaufman they are not shopping starting center Tyson Chandler in a possible trade. But he did not rule out the possibility that teams have called to discuss a trade. There is a possibility the Hornets could opt to do a sign-and-trade to land a free agent and involve moving one of their veteran guards.

The Hornets remain in the hunt for former LSU forward Glen Davis, who is a restricted free agent with the Boston Celtics.

New Orleans, Detroit and Cleveland are teams he is considering, according to league sources. The Celtics still can match any offer to retain him. . . .Detroit appears to be the frontrunner to land Bass. Portland had pursued Bass, but they are now targeting Utah restricted free agent Paul Millsap.

posted at 7pm thursday...in case
someone wanted to read it...

The part I underlined is CRITICAL in our success this season...looks like we keeping Tyson Now?!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats great news!

tland22
07-10-2009, 03:23 AM
oh, here is that link by the way

http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/07/new_orleans_hornets_say_they_c.html

Juju
07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Drats, Magic has just signed bass with a 4 year 18 million deal.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/10/magic.bass/

Sucky Free Agency so far for the Hornets..

tland22
07-10-2009, 02:20 PM
WOW. that is TERRIBLE NEWS.. WOW.

atleast we are not trading tyson anymore

Patrick Swayze
07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Drats, Magic has just signed bass with a 4 year 18 million deal.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/10/magic.bass/

Sucky Free Agency so far for the Hornets..

I expected it to be.

tland22
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
lol yea me too..but we are approaching worse case scenario....

I must say though, since we allegedly are keeping Tyson now...we havent got a dire need to make a big move. We obviously need somone though. Maybe Big Baby will be there for us.

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
other then a pf/c we also need a sg/sf still

tland22
07-10-2009, 05:54 PM
there are no SG SF's out there though unfortunately...we have to trade to get one. if we trade Tyson, we have No center...if we trade D West to get one we have no PF, so we have to get Glen Davis, then D WEST would allow us to get a really solid sg or sf....

we are in a bad position. Im thinking its gunna come down to us just signing Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox ....and thats it

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
yea we are beat but w/e

BIGBREED
07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
we are in a bad position. Im thinking its gunna come down to us just signing Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox ....and thats it

And I think that is exactly want the Hornets will do....

In the words of Vince Lombardi, "WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON OUT THERE?"

tland22
07-11-2009, 01:06 PM
hahaha

tland22
07-18-2009, 08:22 PM
ESPN reports that the Pistons sign PF/C Chris Wilcox to a 2 year 6 million dollar deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4338838

We missed out on another one.... :(

WE STINK

BIGBREED
07-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Wow...

tland22
07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
we need to sign Joe Smith.... that isnt much, but it is actually an upgrade believe it or not. He is very old, but he can still play and he will certainly upgrade and contribute to our bench. He has been doing good for a long long time....he is still a damn GOOD shooter as well. Id really like this guy on our team....we would be able to have him for the vet's minimu....which I think is 1.3 million....but im not sure....probably be just a one year deal. Again. not sure on that though

tland22
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
off the top of my head, these are the players still available for us.... Mikki Moore, Shelden Williams, Leon Powe, and Joe Smith AND RASH NESTEROVIC....i think that is all, I havent looked it up, this is off my head. I wish we would give Powe a contract, wait for him to get healthy.

tland22
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
here is an article from ESPN.com written by well known writer out in L.A. Mr. J.A. Adande...frquently on "Around the Horn" sports show on ESPN...Article titled: Hornets' Offseason A Buzz Kill

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=chris-paul-hornets-090717

BIGBREED
07-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm starting to drink alittle bit more.....

tland22
07-20-2009, 06:50 PM
LOL.... Rasho likely headed to detroit now.... WOW....its getting uglier by the day

Leon Powe would be a STEAL right now....we'd get him 100% for the allstar break

tland22
07-22-2009, 12:55 AM
SO there is some good news.... we arent exactly doing NOTHING...

new reports from Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-davisnets072009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Hornets tried to negotiate a sign and trade deal for GLEN DAVIS....but the offer was rebufffed by the Celtics. This is good in the sense that it shows we are trying.

One more importan peice of news...this is according to HoopsWorld: look half way down page article titled : " Help coming for Paul, Hornets"

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13383

It basically states that Bower was hinting at a significant roster move coming for the Hornets....it will change up the core group....obviously this moved isnt involving CP3 but maybe West, maybe Chandler, maybe Peja....that is our "core group".

so, not all is bad, atleast some kind of "noise" we hornets fans are getting to hear right?