PDA

View Full Version : Raptors extend Bargnani

jsumadchat
07-08-2009, 12:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312517

reported 5 yr. 50 million dollar contract.

North Yorker
07-08-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm pumped that he's gonna be a Rap through his prime. That's a bargain too.

KB24PG16
07-08-2009, 12:26 AM
wow how well did he play last year? 10 mil for 5 yrs i hope the raptors dont regret 3 years from now.

Glenfidish
07-08-2009, 12:30 AM
wow how well did he play last year? 10 mil for 5 yrs i hope the raptors dont regret 3 years from now.

Dude he hasn't even come close to his prime..His numbers will be off the chart..look at his previous years stats.. At 10 million per year for 5 years..Its a steal brother..

Look at your position 10 million for odom asking price..What are his numbers and age..He is a veteran..Thats overpaying..

Nighthawk
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
They should already be regretting it. Has this guy even earned 10 million over 5 yrs? If he turns out to be the talent he can be. If he turns out to indeed be number 1 talent then of course its a steal. But we'll see. Bargnani or not still think Bosh is gone

Young2Kinsler
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Bargani is really hitting his stride, he's overlooked by many. That being said, I can't get to the baseball forum b/c PSD is acting up so I must rant here, lmao.

**** you Ron Washington for pulling Holland, you almost cost us this ****ing game ****in bozo the clown lookin ***.

heyman321
07-08-2009, 12:32 AM
As a Raptors fan, I think that is a bit much. But he IS rapidly improving, but I guess we'll see next season if it was worth it or not.

RocketsRule
07-08-2009, 12:34 AM
He performed really well in the second half of the season. From January or February, he averaged about 20 points and 10 rebounds. He just went off. Assuming he continues to progress, this would be a solid deal.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 12:35 AM
The contract starts 2010-2011 so they have kinda closed the seams of losing two scorers come 2010. Also, he is he performed pretty well last season - especially when he started. I wouldn't be surprised if he posted up 17 and 7 next season. He is just 23 years old so signing him up until he is 28 is pretty good.

North Yorker
07-08-2009, 12:37 AM
By the time he became a FA, teams would have been paying him A LOT more than $10M/yr.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 12:38 AM
This deal is a great fit for the raptors, I am one of those people that believe Bargnani will be better than Chris Bosh in 3 years time. He has all the tools to be a star and he showed it during the 2nd half of the season.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Plus I dont think there was ever a doubt that BC would not keep him long term.

Glenfidish
07-08-2009, 12:39 AM
As a Raptors fan, I think that is a bit much. But he IS rapidly improving, but I guess we'll see next season if it was worth it or not.

As a raptors fan i think what Bosh wants next year is way to much! So i mean lookt at the age between the two and the difference in stats at the end of the year and it will be a difference of no more then 3-4 points and 2-3 rebounds..Is that difference worth max on one end and 10 million on the other..Now you tell me the difference pretty girl.

limebalz05
07-08-2009, 12:40 AM
He has under performed for a #1, but what is his ceiling? He would have never recieved that cash if he wasnt a former #1 overall pick! Riding that Kwame Brown band wagon! I hear ya Barg's

jsumadchat
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
he was the highest scoring centre from january on. its safe to say that in 2 years, his production will be equivalent or greater than that of chris bosh's. this move is GENIUS on BCs part. grabbing bargs for this price is a steal and a definite safety net in the event that bosh does decide to leave.

Glenfidish
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
He has under performed for a #1, but what is his ceiling? He would have never recieved that cash if he wasnt a former #1 overall pick! Riding that Kwame Brown band wagon! I hear ya Barg's

So then how did he perform for a number 2? Your a loser!

Talick
07-08-2009, 12:46 AM

One thing's for sure dude...Bargs is no ********* Kwame Brown.

jsumadchat
07-08-2009, 12:47 AM
a core of turk, jose, and bargs will be great for the next 5 years. add any 2 decent players and you have a great starting 5.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Brown and Bargnani cant even be compared.. He averaged over 20 points per game in the second half of the season, when has Brown ever done that? He had over 20 points in a game over 25 times since Dec 31 2008. Don't post something without backing it up..

MaHaRaJaH
07-08-2009, 12:52 AM

if he is a 20/10 player THAT's a steal.

GodsSon
07-08-2009, 12:53 AM
^ i want to see where Bargs stacks up in your positional polls for C for this coming year...im sure most people remember the Bynum fiasco from last season

OA SLAY
07-08-2009, 12:57 AM
http://- www.truerant.com/.../06/shaq-man-of-steel-2.jpg STEEL SAYS "DONT BE A FOOL"

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 12:57 AM
that 10 million to me essentially is the modern price for a player that is 18-7. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Let's keep expectations realistic.

Young2Kinsler
07-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey, can we get this Marion deal done? lol

KaganRS
07-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Don Colangelo made 'em an offer he couldn't refuse ....

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Hey, can we get this Marion deal done? lol

lol i agree.

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Who would have given him $10M/yr as a restricted free agent next year? If Ariza got 5yr/30M, Bargnani should not get 5yr/$50M. Did BC know Turkoglu and Bargnani's contracts are in US dollars and not Canadian?

cameroncrazies2
07-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Ok, who doesn't do this deal first?

Bulls get Chris Bosh, Raptors get Noah and Deng.

The Bulls get their inside scoring, get out of Deng's contract, although it's not ALL that terrible, it is going to hold back their future...they have to give up Noah which would hurt, but they have Brad Miller who is expiring which they could turn into something at the deadline and Ty Thomas who seemed to come around. Rose and Bosh would be unstoppable together.

The Raptors get Noah, a perfect energy guy, shot blocker alongside Bargnani and fill a huge need at the 3 who would be a great running mate with Calderon and Derozan. Plus, the Raptors get something out of Bosh who is destined to leave next summer anyway.

I think the Bulls don't do it first, simply because they're a frontrunner to sign him next summer anyway, but who knows? Both Lebron and Wade have expressed interest in playing with the same team as Bosh, so Bosh could undercut Chicago and sign elsewhere.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Who would have given him $10M/yr as a restricted free agent next year? If Ariza got 5yr/30M, Bargnani should not get 5yr/$50M. Did BC know Turkoglu and Bargnani's contracts are in US dollars and not Canadian?

I am sorry, but I would much rather have Bargnani than Ariza. Any day of the week.

Ariza only thrived of a supreme scorer in Kobe. Bargnani went through last season with a struggling Bosh and a PG that was injured all season.

Let me know when 18-20 ppg scorers make less than 10 million at the age of 23.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:14 AM

The Bulls get their inside scoring, get out of Deng's contract, although it's not ALL that terrible, it is going to hold back their future...they have to give up Noah which would hurt, but they have Brad Miller who is expiring which they could turn into something at the deadline and Ty Thomas who seemed to come around. Rose and Bosh would be unstoppable together.

The Raptors get Noah, a perfect energy guy, shot blocker alongside Bargnani and fill a huge need at the 3 who would be a great running mate with Calderon and Derozan. Plus, the Raptors get something out of Bosh who is destined to leave next summer anyway.

I think the Bulls don't do it first, simply because they're a frontrunner to sign him next summer anyway, but who knows? Both Lebron and Wade have expressed interest in playing with the same team as Bosh, so Bosh could undercut Chicago and sign elsewhere.

I would be pretty upset if the Raptors traded Chris Bosh for Deng and Noah. Noah still seems pretty immature as a player and Deng is ALWAYS hurt.

It also be dumb of the Raptors to trade Bosh right now without seeing how the team players. If they struggle next year, you might see Bosh get dealt - but I doubt it'll be to Chicago, a team which doesn't have assets to acquire a talent like Bosh.

ink
07-08-2009, 01:15 AM

To quote the uuuord, "stop this madness!!!"

ink
07-08-2009, 01:15 AM
that 10 million to me essentially is the modern price for a player that is 18-7. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Let's keep expectations realistic.

+1

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
To quote the uuuord, "stop this madness!!!"

haha you tell him ink, it just gets more and more crazy each day..

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 01:17 AM

Why would toronto want Deng if they just got Turk? This is a terrible deal.

canzano55
07-08-2009, 01:18 AM
He's making more or less what Biedrins is making and between the two Bargnani is much more valuable. (And I rate Biedrins highly).

jdricks
07-08-2009, 01:21 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A high scoring, thin fagile European who doesn't defense and is pretty much a liability on d. I think he is slightly over paid definitely not worth 10 million a year.

Legitimate
07-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Kudo's to the mastermind Bryan Colangelo. WORD. Great price, Nice signing.

Gibby
07-08-2009, 01:24 AM
great signing, what bargnani showed in the second half proves this is a good deal.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:25 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A high scoring, thin fagile European who doesn't defense and is pretty much a liability on d. I think he is slightly over paid definitely not worth 10 million a year.

His defense is better than people think. Better than Bosh's for sure - but then again, that isn't saying much.

Still 23 and bulking up.

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I am sorry, but I would much rather have Bargnani than Ariza. Any day of the week.

Ariza only thrived of a supreme scorer in Kobe. Bargnani went through last season with a struggling Bosh and a PG that was injured all season.

Let me know when 18-20 ppg scorers make less than 10 million at the age of 23.

But Bargnani is not an 18-20 ppg scorer. And for everyone who says this is the going wage for a 18/7 type player... Bargnani isn't that either. He put up 15/5 in 32 mpg. Do you know what my team does with young players who put up the equivalent of 15/5 in 32 minutes and play no defense? They pay them $4M/yr to come off the bench... his name is Travis Outlaw (13/4 in 27 minutes)

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:27 AM
He's making more or less what Biedrins is making and between the two Bargnani is much more valuable. (And I rate Biedrins highly).

Start a comparison thread with a poll and learn how much of a homer you are. Bargnani isn't close the Biedrins.

blah-blah
07-08-2009, 01:28 AM
what a bargain

coolncasz20mm
07-08-2009, 01:30 AM
good move 4 the raps i think bargs will gitt better n better specily if bosh leave safter next year he will deffinatly be better liek bosh got better after vc left infact trade bosh 4 gasol or 2 goldenstate 4 bedrins and that other erupeeon winger bercineli or how ever you spell it st8 eropeeon team i like it future line up bedrins cenetr bargs at pf jose at pg hedo at sg or sf and and that due from gs at sf or sg sing delfeeno blah blah blah go raps go raps 4ever

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:33 AM
But Bargnani is not an 18-20 ppg scorer. And for everyone who says this is the going wage for a 18/7 type player... Bargnani isn't that either. He put up 15/5 in 32 mpg. Do you know what my team does with young players who put up the equivalent of 15/5 in 32 minutes and play no defense? They pay them $4M/yr to come off the bench... his name is Travis Outlaw (13/4 in 27 minutes)

Go take a look at his stats from december on: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2987

Bargs will still be on his rookie deal next year and will start the deal come 2010. I believe Travis Outlaw is the type of player who will get 6-7.5 million in the open market.

Not to mention you can't really speak on how well a player plays when all you look at are stats.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Start a comparison thread with a poll and learn how much of a homer you are. Bargnani isn't close the Biedrins.

If I had to choose between the two and I was starting a franchise - I would take Bargnani on his potential. He is just 23 and is a better scorer who is only getting started in his career.

I would love to have Beidrins on my team, but he will never be that #1 or #2 option of offense - always the rugged guy who plays solid D and gets the dirty buckets.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 01:37 AM
This is nothing but a solid deal for BC and the raptors, there is way too much hate on PSD for European players..

I saw one person call Bargs Fragile, I guess that user has never seen him play.

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Go take a look at his stats from december on: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2987

Bargs will still be on his rookie deal next year and will start the deal come 2010. I believe Travis Outlaw is the type of player who will get 6-7.5 million in the open market.

Not to mention you can't really speak on how well a player plays when all you look at are stats.

So when I am looking at his stats, I am supposed to:
1. Ignore November and December
2. Look at the fact that he averaged 18/7 in February (Ignoring the fact that he shot 41% from the field and 31% from three.
3. Look at the fact that he averaged 20 ppg in March (and assume that from here on out he will average 52% on 3PA.
4. Ignore the fact that he averaged 3.8 reb/gm in March.

Stellar Stats

SeoulBeatz
07-08-2009, 01:45 AM
good deal for the raptors.

bargs still has a tone of potential.

10 mill is a solid deal especially with some of the crazy contracts being thrown around nowadays. he's worth it on potential alone.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 01:48 AM
2. Look at the fact that he averaged 18/7 in February (Ignoring the fact that he shot 41% from the field and 31% from three.
3. Look at the fact that he averaged 20 ppg in March (and assume that from here on out he will average 52% on 3PA.
Stellar Stats

He actually averaged 6 boards a game in march, not 3.8. Where are you getting your stats?

More often or not, You are suppose to notice the development of a player through out the season. Who cares what he did at the start, its how he finishes and he had an amazing second half. Bargnani was a very different player in November and December. For one thing during that first month he was not starting and seeing the floor time he was later in the season. He was not the 2nd option behind Bosh untill Sam Mitchell was fired. Sam Mitchell that first month was playing him out of position at the 3 in hopes a JO, Bosh, Bargnani frontcourt would be deadly, which it was not. You really are missing the big picture, mostly because you did not follow the team or have an idea of the circumstances of Bargnani's situation at the beggining of the season...

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:49 AM
If I had to choose between the two and I was starting a franchise - I would take Bargnani on his potential. He is just 23 and is a better scorer who is only getting started in his career.

I would love to have Beidrins on my team, but he will never be that #1 or #2 option of offense - always the rugged guy who plays solid D and gets the dirty buckets.

True Bargnani is just 23... and Biedrins is just... 23!

News flash... if Bargnani is your #1 or #2 option on offense, your team will have a similar record to the 2008-09 Toronto Raptors.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 01:50 AM

Stellar Stats

If you knew what you were talking about, he did not start to begin the season.

30% from three is average, but he did struggle at first but gently settled into his role.

He has the potential to score 20 every night, and to dispute that would be idiotic.

Yeah his rebounding needs work, but if you were watching the Raptors on a regular basis, you would see how much he improved from the beginning off the year to the end.

At the end of the day, this is a fantastic deal if Bargnani continues to progress. He is just 23 years old. Bulked up last off season and according to reports, has been working hard this off season as well.

LA_Raiders
07-08-2009, 01:53 AM
nice way to throw money away

abe_froman
tor acted to hastily here

and tor fans are overvaluing the guy's potential

DaoudS
True Bargnani is just 23... and Biedrins is just... 23!

News flash... if Bargnani is your #1 or #2 option on offense, your team will have a similar record to the 2008-09 Toronto Raptors.

The Raptors flat out struggled last year and a coaching change in philosophies didn't help. Neither did the various trades.

Bargnani, as the second option, led the Raptors to a fairly respectable end of the season. You really need to get your facts straight before you start blabbering.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 01:55 AM

we shall see in a few years, he will end up being better tha Bosh, I gurantee that.

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:56 AM
More often or not, You are suppose to notice the development of a player through out the season. Who cares what he did at the start, its how he finishes and he had an amazing second half. Bargnani was a very different player in November and December. For one thing during that first month he was not starting and seeing the floor time he was later in the season. He was not the 2nd option behind Bosh untill Sam Mitchell was fired. Sam Mitchell that first month was playing him out of position at the 3 in hopes a JO, Bosh, Bargnani frontcourt would be deadly, which it was not. You really are missing the big picture, mostly because you did not follow the team or have an idea of the circumstances of Bargnani's situation at the beggining of the season...

I actually watch many Raptors game because:
1. I was convinced the Blazers were going to trade for Calderon last year; and
2. I was convince they were going to trade Aldridge for Bosh this year.
(Having watched the team for an extended period of time, I am glad neither happened)

Bargnani had stretches where he looked great (especially from three) but in the end, most of his production was inefficient or in the context of Toronto being blown out (or playing against the Knicks.)

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:59 AM
we shall see in a few years, he will end up being better tha Bosh, I gurantee that.

Are you sure you aren't a Boston Red Sox fan. You do a great job of criticizing and down playing the talent of the guy who is obviously leaving town, and blindly over-hyping the "heir apparent."

Bargnani will never better than Bosh.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 02:00 AM
(Having watched the team for an extended period of time, I am glad neither happened)

Bargnani had stretches where he looked great (especially from three) but in the end, most of his production was inefficient or in the context of Toronto being blown out (or playing against the Knicks.)

If you had watched games in the first half of the year, than you would have taken to notice to the situation that Bargnani was in. He is still young and developing. What do you want from him. He is not an allstar yet but he is getting better every year, at the end of the last year he started to take it to the basket more and more and not just settle for the jumper. I don't think you are giving him enough credit.

FaceDown91
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
nice. looks like 1 month of good play after being a 1st pick bust gets 10 mill a year now? :pity:

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 02:02 AM

lol that is a really vague/useless argument in a case against giving bargnani 10 million a year after next season.

Beidrins is making 9 million a year and he averages just .3 blocks more. yeah he has a better FG%, but that is because he doesn't score outside of 5 feet of the basket. Just from that perspective of what other players at the position are making - bargs is well worth 10 million IMO.

And I was against the Hedo signing and most of what Calengelo has done, but this was a smart move.

Mile High Champ
Are you sure you aren't a Boston Red Sox fan. You do a great job of criticizing and down playing the talent of the guy who is obviously leaving town, and blindly over-hyping the "heir apparent."

Well I am concvinced he will be after watching them both play almost every game. Bosh does not have the same killer instict and skill set of Bargnani. Give it time, it will happen. I will take notice of your user name and come calling on you in a year or two.. Maybe a sig bet will be in order. What do you think?

blackjack_119
He has the potential to score 20 every night, and to dispute that would be idiotic.

Kool-Aid is delicious... to not drink it would be idiotic.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 02:03 AM
nice. looks like 1 month of good play after being a 1st pick bust gets 10 mill a year now? :pity:

Take a look at the stats and then join the conversation. He has never been called a bust other then by anti-european fans of the nba.

abe_froman
07-08-2009, 02:04 AM

well since you you guaranteed it....:rolleyes:

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 02:06 AM
I am not sure he'll be better than Bosh - but I think he will be a solid 18-7 guy for his career. Which would justify his contract.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 02:07 AM
well since you you guaranteed it....:rolleyes:

more than your offering...

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 02:08 AM
Well I am convinced he will be after watching them both play almost every game. Bosh does not have the same killer instict and skill set of Bargnani. Give it time, it will happen. I will take notice of your user name and come calling on you in a year or two.. Maybe a sig bet will be in order. What do you think?

A sig bet on Bargnani being better than Bosh in a year or two? Any day of the week. In fact, if you have that you are a part of this sig bet as a part of your signature for the duration of the bet... that would be funnier than anything I would be able to come up with after winning the bet.

How long to do want to give Bargnani to be better than Bosh?

FaceDown91
07-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Take a look at the stats and then join the conversation. He has never been called a bust other then by anti-european fans of the nba.

i mean 1st pick bust. i don't mean like bust bust. like greg oden. bust bust is like kwame brown.

Big Game Son
07-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Bargnani is the type of center that could revolutionize the 5 position. Not saying he will of course there is risk. Trust me tho this is kid is worth 50 mil, he WILL be better than Bosh (atleast as a game closer and defensively) in time and as I said....hes the new 5 and represents the evolution of the game Colangelo is talking about. Dont forget people hes a shot blocker now as well thanks to J.O.

abe_froman
07-08-2009, 02:10 AM
more than your offering...

and i have a boat load of the same guarantee from bulls fans about tyrus thomas,so yeah such "guarantees" are meaningless

goku
07-08-2009, 02:14 AM
barg to me needs to play better defense he needs to bulk up he's a good scorer but his d is bad shaq scored 45 on him to easily last season

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Bargnani is the type of center that could revolutionize the 5 position. Not saying he will of course there is risk. Trust me tho this is kid is worth 50 mil, he WILL be better than Bosh (atleast as a game closer and defensively) in time and as I said....hes the new 5 and represents the evolution of the game Colangelo is talking about. Dont forget people hes a shot blocker now as well thanks to J.O.

:bs:

He will be a gimmick Center who changes the game the way that Okur and Ikgauskas can. People get enamored the with idea of a Center that can force the other team's center out of the paint.

Unfortunately, the change has already come in the form of the hybrid power forward. On competitive teams, almost all power forwards are athletic enough to defend on the perimeter. A perimeter shooting center is simply defended by the PF on the perimeter and defended by the center on the block.

The only difference in play is that the opposing team maintains a center to rebound in the post, while the opposition hopes to shoot their way to victory. Colangelo's vision failed in Arizona and is destined to fail in Toronto.

In the end, defense and dominant big men win in this league.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Not according to the NBA Champs.

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Not according to the NBA Champs.

You wouldn't consider Gasol a dominant bigman(19/10; 57% FG%)? Also, the Lakers defense was far superior to the Magic's.

DaoudS
07-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Gasol is far from a defensive beast you speak off. Neither is Bynum, not yet anyway.

Gasol gets his points because of Kobe. They compliment each other very well.

Trouble87
07-08-2009, 03:03 AM

:clap:

I don't think he's worth 10 mill right now... looks like the Raps like overpaying talent

First Hedo now this Barg extension.... hope things work out for them

MaHaRaJaH
07-08-2009, 03:41 AM
To look you open your eyes.

magikmc
07-08-2009, 03:46 AM
^ he's not getting paid 10 mill right now.. he will be in 2010. People don't know anything about Andrea's development because the raps don't get the national tv games. I'll tell you why there was a major difference in his game the 2nd half of the season. He was playing C, plain and simple. He creates matchup problems for teams, and is almost impossible to defend. Here's the evidence to back it up too....

In 47 games last year starting at center he averaged....
18 points, 6 rebs, 1.3 blocks, 44% from 3 point land, 47% FG's, in 34 minutes per.

Depending on how Shaq fits in with CLE, he could be the 2nd best C in the East behind Dwight Howard this season.

JM09
07-08-2009, 03:47 AM
Andrea is a beast!! Definitely worth the money, he's not even close to his prime yet.

magikmc
07-08-2009, 03:49 AM
he's learning to play defense A LOT better too.... his blocks went up a full block per game last season, and he's starting to play a lot of "tougher" defense.

Combine that with the above stats, the fact he's 23, has a ton of potential still, coming off the basketball he's ever played, maturing on and off the court...... I don't see how this is a bad investment, not too mention it shows Bosh that the core of Calderon, Bargs, and Turk are going to be around for a while longer.

GoatMilk
07-08-2009, 04:38 AM
i like the deal.

Andrea was great last season and will only improve.
Dirk may be a little reach, but he can be that good if continues to work and improve.
he impressed me a lot last season.
he's not as soft as a lot of you think. he still has ways to go, but he's legit.
he's euro so its not his game to be all nasty, but i like andrea so great signing IMO

jsumadchat
07-08-2009, 05:37 AM

bargnani's defense actually improved dramatically and he had pretty good block number for his style of play.

Ragun
07-08-2009, 07:28 AM
even if bosh stays, bargs, will eventually become the franchise player. great deal for the raps.

torontosports10
07-08-2009, 07:35 AM
I like it. Wouldnt mind seeing Bosh for Biedrins and Jackson

Biedrins
Bargs
Hedo
Jackson
Jose

I like e

SensandRaps
07-08-2009, 07:36 AM
this contract imo works two ways, one way colangelo has overpaid for bargs for next season but with the way bargs is progressing this contract will look like a bargain 3 years in

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
A sig bet on Bargnani being better than Bosh in a year or two? Any day of the week. In fact, if you have that you are a part of this sig bet as a part of your signature for the duration of the bet... that would be funnier than anything I would be able to come up with after winning the bet.

I said the bet was anout Bargnani being a star. I am confident he can be better than Bosh but you said is that Bargnani would be an allstar.. Thats the sig bet..

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
and i have a boat load of the same guarantee from bulls fans about tyrus thomas,so yeah such "guarantees" are meaningless

Thomas has yet to show anything to anyone other than Bulls fans. He has that potential tag still on him. Yeah he is getting a bit better but will he ever be more than a 14 and 7 guy... I am not to sure.. But thats a debate for another day..

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 09:27 AM

He will be a gimmick Center who changes the game the way that Okur and Ikgauskas can. People get enamored the with idea of a Center that can force the other team's center out of the paint.

Unfortunately, the change has already come in the form of the hybrid power forward. On competitive teams, almost all power forwards are athletic enough to defend on the perimeter. A perimeter shooting center is simply defended by the PF on the perimeter and defended by the center on the block.

The only difference in play is that the opposing team maintains a center to rebound in the post, while the opposition hopes to shoot their way to victory. Colangelo's vision failed in Arizona and is destined to fail in Toronto.

How does your defensive scheme work when both the PF and C play outside of the Paint like Bosh and Bargnani? The thing is, it does not work at all. The fact that both of them together force matchup problems gives them an edge every game over the other teams 4 and 5. Bosh and Bargnani are a matchup nightmare for teams with a true center. Maybe other than Howard and Shard but thats about it.

Sportfan
07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I defitantly think this guy has franchise player material

blujaysrock
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Great signing nice to see we have him for 5 more years.

blackjack_119
07-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I said the bet was anout Bargnani being a star. I am confident he can be better than Bosh but you said is that Bargnani would be an allstar.. Thats the sig bet..

Here is the entire conversation between us (started with a comment by Abe Froman)...

Well I am concvinced he will be after watching them both play almost every game. Bosh does not have the same killer instict and skill set of Bargnani. Give it time, it will happen. I will take notice of your user name and come calling on you in a year or two.. Maybe a sig bet will be in order. What do you think?

Squirming out of the bet already, I see.

You never talked about Bargnani being an all-star and I never said that he wouldn't (he won't, but I have never said until now.) The entire conversation was about you saying Bargnani was going to be better than Bosh (and guaranteeing it) and me saying you were wrong.

Don't try to come back now and say that the bet was something else. If you are willing to admit that everything you said in that conversation is BS that you aren't willing to back up (despite "guaranteeing it"), I will gladly let you out of the sig bet... but read the conversation again. You don't get to get off the hook by saying that you suggested a bet of "Andrea Bargnani will be an all-star."

Halladay
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM

High draft pick doesn't mean squat. We've seen plenty of high picks dissapear over the years and become mediocre bench players. Bargnani has had his struggles but last season he really came along and hopefully he can be moved back to his natural position(PF) when Bosh leaves and he will be even more effective. Also In that draft class there was no true first overall pick. Many people had several different players going first overall. There was no Lebron James that year. Hell, some people/experts thought Adam Morrison should've gone first overall.

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I think he'll end up being a good player

ewing
07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
How does your defensive scheme work when both the PF and C play outside of the Paint like Bosh and Bargnani? The thing is, it does not work at all. The fact that both of them together force matchup problems gives them an edge every game over the other teams 4 and 5. Bosh and Bargnani are a matchup nightmare for teams with a true center. Maybe other than Howard and Shard but thats about it.

The question isn't how does anyone guard Tortono its how does Tortono gaurd anyone? Your gaurds aren't that good at staying in front of people and your bigs are very weak (right now I would guess a starting front of Hedo, Bosh, and Bargnani- I'm sorry but those guys are going to get beat up). Good teams are going to slash on this team all night and hammer the offensive glass. Verstility is a great asset but you cant completely throw away any inside presense for it. I honestly like a lot of players on the Raptors- they just shouldn't all be on the same team unless you have an absolute monster in the middle

LanceUpperCut
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Buddy have you ever watched a raptors game like all of us. I know they only show the raptors play once every 10 years in the states but you should try it.

LanceUpperCut
07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
:clap:

I don't think he's worth 10 mill right now... looks like the Raps like overpaying talent

First Hedo now this Barg extension.... hope things work out for them

we will see in 2-3 years how good he is compared to other guys making 10+

IversonIsKrazy
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Since January, hes fufilled all of us raptor expectations. 19/7/1.5 is pretty impressive, hes going to be in his prime at the end of the contract, and he'll be making $10M, its a good deal for Raps.

magikmc
07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
It's pretty simple to see why he's a great player, and will get better...

The only hole in his entire game is rebounding, and he's getting better at that. He can block shots, i don't care what anyone says because he can play defense. He can shoot the 3, shoot the mid range, drive to the basket, shoot free throws, and hit big time shots.

BMun
07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
It's an extension. He's making 6.5 this year and the extension kicks in 2010-2011, I believe. For all those who don't think he's worth it, wait until the end of this upcoming season and then tell me you wouldn't want him signed for the next five years at a bargain price.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I would think 40-45 mil for 5 years is fair.

jsumadchat
07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
yeah 50 is a lil steep. but if he can play well, its definitely a steal

dtmagnet
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM

In that case Bosh just blows past the C that is guarding him. Bosh + Bargnani is a matchup nightmare for defenses. I really think this will be considered a fair contract, people just need to watch him start for an entire season.

lorenz00
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM
fAIR DEAL

TJ_Pho
07-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Bargnani looks to be a slightly more talented Mehmet Okur. Okur makes 8.5 mil after 7 years in the NBA, assuming Bargnani eclipses him slight its probably a fair deal. But the deal is a bet on his potential and if you are BC you have to make it for the reason mentioned a few lines below. They shouldn't max Bosh because he wouldn't be a max player on a contender and the Raptors will never be a contender. So the Raptors waste their money and Bosh, if it's really a title he's after, would never be satisfied. Nope, all that matters is that Raptors make their team competitive enough to make their fans believe they are legitimate, only to lose in the first or second round of the playoffs (if they even make it) and the arena will be full every night. That would be my strategy.

theuuord
07-09-2009, 12:32 AM
this is a pretty fair deal, not sure why people think they overpaid...

theuuord
07-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Gasol is far from a defensive beast you speak off. Neither is Bynum, not yet anyway.

I know it's easy to say that, but weirdly enough Gasol absolutely shut down Howard in man coverage in the NBA Finals.

No clue how, but he did it...

Mile High Champ
07-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Here is the entire conversation between us (started with a comment by Abe Froman)...

Squirming out of the bet already, I see.

You never talked about Bargnani being an all-star and I never said that he wouldn't (he won't, but I have never said until now.) The entire conversation was about you saying Bargnani was going to be better than Bosh (and guaranteeing it) and me saying you were wrong.

Don't try to come back now and say that the bet was something else. If you are willing to admit that everything you said in that conversation is BS that you aren't willing to back up (despite "guaranteeing it"), I will gladly let you out of the sig bet... but read the conversation again. You don't get to get off the hook by saying that you suggested a bet of "Andrea Bargnani will be an all-star."

I am still up for a sig bet, no question. I know however that it will take a few years for it become a reality. I am guessing 2-3 years you will see Bargnani surpass Bosh. My question is, how do we measure it, stats?