PDA

View Full Version : NBA salary cap drops to $57.7 million for ’09-10 and luxury tax is $69.92 million

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArrP3iQ.0pKzTcNdImdyOYi8vLYF?slug=ap-salarycap&prov=ap&type=lgns)

NEW YORK (AP)—The NBA salary cap has been set for next season at $57.7 million, a decline from 2008-09, allowing teams to begin signing players.

The figure the league announced Tuesday night was about $1 million less than last season’s cap of $58.68 million, even though league-wide revenue rose 2.5 percent. The number is expected to drop further next season when the full effect of the economic difficulties hits.

The new salary cap went into effect at 12:01 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, ending the NBA’s moratorium period and allowing free agents to sign deals with teams.

Teams and players were able to begin negotiating on July 1. Ron Artest(notes) agreed to join the Los Angeles Lakers, and the Detroit Pistons reached agreements with Ben Gordon(notes) and Charlie Villanueva(notes) during the moratorium.

The luxury tax level also dropped to $69.92 million. Any team whose salary exceeds that will have to pay $1 for every $1 it goes over. The tax level last season was $71.2 million.

The midlevel exception will be $5.85 million.

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
My bad JB, I started basically the same thread as you around the same time, lol. Could you please close my thread? Thanks.

KB24PG16
07-08-2009, 12:19 AM
does anyone know how much the lakers are over?

Glenfidish
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
I bet you cuban from dallas laughs at news like this when smoking his cigars with lakers and clevland owner...:laugh:

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 12:35 AM
does anyone know how much the lakers are over?

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/lakers.jsp

$76,733,486

Add in Artests 5.85 million and that becomes around 82 million.

bball1217
07-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Can someone now tell me which teams are under the cap and how much money they have? (after including the signings that have already been agreed on)

BUCSFORLIFE123
07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
use this website and pick any team u want
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9195
this one is the cavs and im surprised lebron made that little lol

Jonathan2323
07-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Lakers are going to be paying alot of luxury tax

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 08:14 AM

When you are a championship team it doesn't matter.

NotVeryOriginal
07-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Theyll make back 4-5 times as much through merch alone.

Think of how many millions of bandwagon fans around the world will buy a Kobe or Gasol jersey this year just cause they are champions.

DCSportsIsPain
07-08-2009, 08:29 AM
When you are a championship team it doesn't matter.

A championship team in the #2 media market, with the #1 merchandise sales revenue. The Lakers are worth around $585 Million. The average NBA team is worth around $300 Million. $20M luxury tax won't make Jerry Buss blink.

dee279
07-08-2009, 08:39 AM
this is bad news. damn

mikantsass
07-08-2009, 08:42 AM

Think of how many millions of bandwagon fans around the world will buy a Kobe or Gasol jersey this year just cause they are champions.

I'm a little ignorant. In the NFL and MLB, merchandise profits get divided equally among all of the teams in the league. Is the NBA different? Does each team keep their own merchandise profits?

On the original topic... it's just a sign of this unfortunate slumping economy. Hopefully we get this turned around sooner rather than later. Can you imagine if the 2010 free agent class was this summer???? Do you think the economy would have effected teams pursuit of LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Amare etc???

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm a little ignorant. In the NFL and MLB, merchandise profits get divided equally among all of the teams in the league. Is the NBA different? Does each team keep their own merchandise profits?

On the original topic... it's just a sign of this unfortunate slumping economy. Hopefully we get this turned around sooner rather than later. Can you imagine if the 2010 free agent class was this summer???? Do you think the economy would have effected teams pursuit of LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Amare etc???

You gotta remember that in the NFL players make just as much money as the NBA and each team has at least 3x the players.

Also you gotta remember there are only 8 home games all year while the NBA you have 41 games. Sure the Stadiums are bigger in the NFL but the different doesn't make up for it.

GHOSTSNIPER
07-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Similar to the FC Barcelona bandwagon that you conveniently boarded when they won the Champions League?Stick to Arsenal or Man U...you're in the UK...

asandhu23
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
similar to the fc barcelona bandwagon that you conveniently boarded when they won the champions league?stick to arsenal or man u...you're in the uk...

man utd!!!!!

BTownTeamsRKing
07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
this is bad news. damn

if anything, this is great news for all the teams that could lose someone. the salary cap for re-signing players is not affected by the luxury tax. This gives the heat the best shot at re-signing Wade for example.

teams like the knicks and nets, just effed themselves wasting seasons trying to clear cap room and now it looks like there is no way any of those big FAs will go there because no star will go the same amount of money somewhere where they will be the only great player.

In other words, there will be no Bosh and LBJ, no Wade and Bosh, no Wade and Amare because there will only be enough room for one superstar under this new salary cap.

This is completely crippling news to all those teams entering the Lebron sweepstakes.

It will be interesting to see now if the Knicks or any of those teams will now attempt to trade for good players to attract those big FAs.

cheetos185
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
if anything, this is great news for all the teams that could lose someone. the salary cap for re-signing players is not affected by the luxury tax. This gives the heat the best shot at re-signing Wade for example.

teams like the knicks and nets, just effed themselves wasting seasons trying to clear cap room and now it looks like there is no way any of those big FAs will go there because no star will go the same amount of money somewhere where they will be the only great player.

In other words, there will be no Bosh and LBJ, no Wade and Bosh, no Wade and Amare because there will only be enough room for one superstar under this new salary cap.

This is completely crippling news to all those teams entering the Lebron sweepstakes.

It will be interesting to see now if the Knicks or any of those teams will now attempt to trade for good players to attract those big FAs.

walsh still has one year to trade curry and jeffries if he can get it done than getting 2 max players or 1 superstar plus one good player isn't impossible

BTownTeamsRKing
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
walsh still has one year to trade curry and jeffries if he can get it done than getting 2 max players or 1 superstar plus one good player isn't impossible

I am really doubting that any of these superstars end up teamed up. it looks very unlikely now.

Lo Porto
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
This whole cap situation is BS. Think about it, the salary cap could drop over $7 million from 08-09 to 10-11 ($59+ to under $53). The luxury tax could drop over $10 million from 08-09 to 10-11 ($71+ to $61).

How are teams supposed to give more than 3 year deals if the financial situation could change so much in so little time? For example, a full MLE signed in 2007 could put you $6 million over the luxury in 2010. That contract now costs you $12 million if you include the tax. I understand the drop this year of around $1 million for the cap and luxury. But the proposed drop for next year is too extreme.

Also, dropping everything just makes the rich richer. The Lakers can afford to spend $90 million a year but 25+ other teams can't. I love the Yankees, but baseball is determined more by teams than basketball. You can win an NBA title with 5-6 really strong players. You can't win the World Series with only 5-6 strong players.

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
This whole cap situation is BS. Think about it, the salary cap could drop over $7 million from 08-09 to 10-11 ($59+ to under $53). The luxury tax could drop over $10 million from 08-09 to 10-11 ($71+ to $61).

How are teams supposed to give more than 3 year deals if the financial situation could change so much in so little time? For example, a full MLE signed in 2007 could put you $6 million over the luxury in 2010. That contract now costs you $12 million if you include the tax. I understand the drop this year of around $1 million for the cap and luxury. But the proposed drop for next year is too extreme.

Also, dropping everything just makes the rich richer. The Lakers can afford to spend $90 million a year but 25+ other teams can't. I love the Yankees, but baseball is determined more by teams than basketball. You can win an NBA title with 5-6 really strong players. You can't win the World Series with only 5-6 strong players.

What I don't like is that you could have your whole team set with no free agents or anyone needing to be resigned and be at $65 million this season and be under the cap and be at $65 million next season and be over the cap and pay the tax when you did not signing in the offseason nor extended anyone.