PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't the Blazers pursuing Odom like they were pursuing Turkoglu? Or are they?

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 11:57 AM
If the Blazers were willing to give Turkoglu who is 30 years old a 5 year/50 million dollar deal then why would they not do that for Lamar Odom who is just as good and will be the same age by the time the season starts?

sep11ie
07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Hedo>Odom. Odom worries too much about gummy bears and lollipops. Too bad, if he had a fire(other than fire) he coulda been one of the best.

MadBomber
07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
The knock on Odom is his inconsistency whereas Hedo was the main catalyst for the Magic's playoff run. Most believed Hedo was the MVP of their team, whereas Odom would play great and then have an off night and play great, have a few more off nights in a row and you get the idea. That's what drove so many of his fans and critics up the wall. The talent is there but not the consistency.

But agree, I think LO would be a great fit for a lot of teams. He's unselfish and great teammate.

BoltLakerPadre
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
There are three reasons the Blazers aren't as interested in Odom as they were in Turk;

1) He's a Laker, and trust me, Portland HATES Lakers, and would be hard pressed to root for one, even if he was wearing black and red.

2) The Blazers only have $9 mil in cap space, and after hearing about Odom's willingness to take a pay cut to play for LA, his need to be near the beach, the fact that LA is a Championship contender, and that all his friends, family, and businesses are in LA, Portland would need to blow the Lakers offer out of the water to get him, and they can't afford to do that.

3)Portland needs a PG or a dynamic small forward. They already have a promising young 4 in Aldridge, so Lamar isn't really what they need anyway. I know LO and Turk have nearly identical size, but they really play two different positions.

Unruly Fan
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
1) He's a Laker, and trust me, Portland HATES Lakers, and would be hard pressed to root for one, even if he was wearing black and red.So your saying that just because he played for Lakers (at one point) Portland wont want him? Unless he pulled a Vince Carter I can't see this being true.

2) The Blazers only have $9 mil in cap space, and after hearing about Odom's willingness to take a pay cut to play for LA, his need to be near the beach, the fact that LA is a Championship contender, and that all his friends, family, and businesses are in LA, Portland would need to blow the Lakers offer out of the water to get him, and they can't afford to do that.
His willingness to leave LA for another team is one thing. But If the were Blazers were willing to negotiate a deal worth 53 mill for Hedo they can definately offer Odom something.

3)Portland needs a PG or a dynamic small forward. They already have a promising young 4 in Aldridge, so Lamar isn't really what they need anyway. I know LO and Turk have nearly identical size, but they really play two different positions.They may need to address their PG position but still. Last season Odom shared positions with Ariza AND Pau. The addition of a utility man in Odom can't hurt any team especially when you specified his need to be near the bench.

Raph12
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
The knock on Odom is his inconsistency whereas Hedo was the main catalyst for the Magic's playoff run. Most believed Hedo was the MVP of their team, whereas Odom would play great and then have an off night and play great, have a few more off nights in a row and you get the idea. That's what drove so many of his fans and critics up the wall. The talent is there but not the consistency.

But agree, I think LO would be a great fit for a lot of teams. He's unselfish and great teammate.

Hedo is also VERY inconsistent, one night he'd score 29 the next night he'd score 10, one game he'd get 14 assists the next night he'd get 4, one night he'd get 6 rebounds the next he'd get two, one night he'd shoot 9-17 the next he'd go 1-11, he was the most inconsistent player on that Magic roster, how could a player who surprises you every game as to what he'll bring to the table be the MVP of that team when a guy like Dwight who got about 20-15-3 (pts-rebs-blks) almost every game not be MVP. Hedo as inconsistent as he is, is a HUGE part of the Magic offense no question, but Dwight is their MVP hands-down on offense and defense, you'll always know what you get.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hidayet_turkoglu/game_by_game_stats.html

Durant is hype
07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
There are three reasons the Blazers aren't as interested in Odom as they were in Turk;

1) He's a Laker, and trust me, Portland HATES Lakers, and would be hard pressed to root for one, even if he was wearing black and red.

If anything that make Portland to try to sign him even more.

Lakermania33
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I read on Hoopshype earlier this morning that Portland wants to trade a 3 million dollar player to a team who has 11 million dollar player deciding to use their extra money via a trade rather than signing a free agent. Maybe thats why no strong push.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Odom isn't work 50 million for 5 years.

I give him 6-7 mil per year at most.

Tblaze
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I read on Hoopshype earlier this morning that Portland wants to trade a 3 million dollar player to a team who has 11 million dollar player deciding to use their extra money via a trade rather than signing a free agent. Maybe thats why no strong push.

I don't know why, but when I read that. The thing that immediatally came to my mind was Tayshaun Prince.

Ty22Mitchell
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
if Lamar isn't going to put you over the top and isn't a staple for your future,than why spend money for unnecessary reasons? Plus I want LO to come back to LA any way.

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 04:08 PM
if Lamar isn't going to put you over the top and isn't a staple for your future,than why spend money for unnecessary reasons? Plus I want LO to come back to LA any way.

Maybe to prevent other teams from getting stronger. Portland will be able to keep Roy and Aldridge but once they get signed they won't have any more money. So they should get some more talent on the team that they can use as trade bait as well if needed.

GoatMilk
07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
lol JordansBulls

why do you want the Lakers to lose a valuable piece?

Ansy
07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe to prevent other teams from getting stronger. Portland will be able to keep Roy and Aldridge but once they get signed they won't have any more money. So they should get some more talent on the team that they can use as trade bait as well if needed.

The bolded is what I think is on Pritchard's mind right now. He knows there's no perfect fit out there so he's just trying to accumulate some extra assets.

lakers sqaud
07-07-2009, 05:00 PM

@ 5-years-50-mil...thats just about & untradable contract, yea go ahead & f yourself trail-blazers... I want odom back but not at that price,the most I would give would be about 4-years-32-mil~!

dtmagnet
07-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't know why, but when I read that. The thing that immediatally came to my mind was Tayshaun Prince.

I think he would be a great fit on the Blazers.

Raph12
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM

That is exactly the reason why any contender team with money would sign Odom, he is a HUGE part of the Lakers team and without him they are incomplete and it will show on the court against any top team. Plus, think about it Odom is a versatile, athletic player who is also a good passer at almost 7 feet, what team on the NBA wouldn't want a guy like that on their roster? He has big trade value, imagine if he was on Orlando, or San Antonio, or Boston, using him as trade bait is another reason he would be a good sign. As long as Portland can keep him away from LA I say go for it, because if this LAL-POR matchup happens again and Artest guards Roy so Kobe can relax a bit on defense, than the best offensive player in the NBA will have been given more energy and giving them Lamar Odom for when Bynum gets into foul trouble can't help, he'll guard Aldridge better than any guy on that LA roster. So put the money in to get Odom, than trade him for a real point guard to someone in the East so they won't have to see him again.

J-Relo
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Lamar Odom is going to play for LA.

Raph12
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Lamar Odom is going to play for LA.

Did he tell you that on the phone? What's your source? If your just guessing than chill because LA said they don't even know what's going on with Lamar

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Because Hedo filled a need, which is another ball handling creator who can hit clutch shots along with Roy. They don't have a need for Odom at anywhere near the money he is asking.

nytrailblazer
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Because Hedo filled a need, which is another ball handling creator who can hit clutch shots along with Roy. They don't have a need for Odom at anywhere near the money he is asking.

i agree hedo was gonna be a great fit bcuz he was another scoring threat but odom has always been known for not being tough and lazy at times and that is not what type of player the blazers are looking 4 so i personally think david lee would be a better fit bcuz he would give a little more toughness inside on rebounds and his low post abilty to score

fresh prince
07-08-2009, 12:08 PM
It's hilarious how everyone on PSD is on Lamar's balls all of a sudden.

Usually everyone is calling him out for being an inconsistent, pot head that shows up 30% of the time. Now he has burgeoned into a border line super star since people here actually think he may leave the Lakers.

Classic.

All I ask is that WHEN Lamar resigns with the Lake SHow be sure to show him the same respect. He's inconsistent yes.. but he is the definition of a glue..jack of all trades player that every great team needs.

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
That is exactly the reason why any contender team with money would sign Odom, he is a HUGE part of the Lakers team and without him they are incomplete and it will show on the court against any top team. Plus, think about it Odom is a versatile, athletic player who is also a good passer at almost 7 feet, what team on the NBA wouldn't want a guy like that on their roster? He has big trade value, imagine if he was on Orlando, or San Antonio, or Boston, using him as trade bait is another reason he would be a good sign. As long as Portland can keep him away from LA I say go for it, because if this LAL-POR matchup happens again and Artest guards Roy so Kobe can relax a bit on defense, than the best offensive player in the NBA will have been given more energy and giving them Lamar Odom for when Bynum gets into foul trouble can't help, he'll guard Aldridge better than any guy on that LA roster. So put the money in to get Odom, than trade him for a real point guard to someone in the East so they won't have to see him again.

Good post!!

Raph12
07-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Usually everyone is calling him out for being an inconsistent, pot head that shows up 30% of the time. Now he has burgeoned into a border line super star since people here actually think he may leave the Lakers.

Classic.

All I ask is that WHEN Lamar resigns with the Lake SHow be sure to show him the same respect. He's inconsistent yes.. but he is the definition of a glue..jack of all trades player that every great team needs.

I agree with you, I've always thought of Lamar as a great player even while playing backup to Ariza the past couple of years, that's why I feel it's important for LA to resign him, which they probably will. He is a big part of that LA team and it would be a shame for him to leave, but leaving LA would show the rest of the league how good the Artest-signing really was for the Lakers but we'll see, I predict he returns but who knows, weirder things have happened.

KnicksorBust
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Odom can handle the ball and be a creater. I think JB brought up a great point with this thread. There are a lot of similarities in Odom and Turk's games. Turk is a much better shooter, Odom is a better rebounder but they are both big men who can dribble and create. I think Odom could work in Portland like he worked with Wade in Miami.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Odom can handle the ball and be a creater. I think JB brought up a great point with this thread. There are a lot of similarities in Odom and Turk's games. Turk is a much better shooter, Odom is a better rebounder but they are both big men who can dribble and create. I think Odom could work in Portland like he worked with Wade in Miami.

Hedo is better creating from the perimeter. Much better. He is a far better shooter as well. That was Portland's need. Not that Odom wouldn't help them, but not at the price he is looking for. That being said, Portland needs to use its cap space this summer, it goes down next.

MadBomber
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Hedo is also VERY inconsistent, one night he'd score 29 the next night he'd score 10, one game he'd get 14 assists the next night he'd get 4, one night he'd get 6 rebounds the next he'd get two, one night he'd shoot 9-17 the next he'd go 1-11, he was the most inconsistent player on that Magic roster, how could a player who surprises you every game as to what he'll bring to the table be the MVP of that team when a guy like Dwight who got about 20-15-3 (pts-rebs-blks) almost every game not be MVP. Hedo as inconsistent as he is, is a HUGE part of the Magic offense no question, but Dwight is their MVP hands-down on offense and defense, you'll always know what you get.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hidayet_turkoglu/game_by_game_stats.html

Good points Ralph...I agree with you on Hedo being inconsitent as well, but the biggest difference between Lamar versus Hedo is expectation. Hedo improves year by year and that's fine and many commentators and analyst has remarked that he is their go to guy and often initiates the offense for orlando not saying that he is hands down the best player on the Magic but most valuable. Dwight is their best player but Hedo sets it up for everyone.

With Lamar he came in with high expectations and with an immense amount of talent. With his height, athletic ability, handles, etc...he's silky smooth. So when he dangles a triple double every now and then....to laker fans, people are like wow....he should be able to do that every night why can't he sustain that which cause many frustrations for laker fans.

But LO is the ultimate team player he sacrifices for the benefit of the team. Coming off the bench when the coach asks him to (check)
Facilitating the triangle (check)
Hit the open guy (check)
Grab boards like a savage beast (check)

Not saying that Hedo is better than Odom, i think it is the fact that expectations are higher for Odom than Hedo.

superkegger
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Pretty much all there is to it. Odom is not a SF, and can't really play there, despite what NBA Live may tell you. Why would Portland offer 10 million to Lamar to be their backup PF? I mean, good bench players are a must for a championship team, but signing a guy for 10 million to come off the bench, that would be a bad allocation of resources. Especially when money is tight.

Sportfan
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Classic.

agreed, Odom was up there with AI and Z-bo for most hated player on psd

cowboyz180
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Because Lamar Odom is inconsistent. he can be a great player some nights and a horrible player other nights.

JordansBulls
07-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Good points Ralph...I agree with you on Hedo being inconsitent as well, but the biggest difference between Lamar versus Hedo is expectation. Hedo improves year by year and that's fine and many commentators and analyst has remarked that he is their go to guy and often initiates the offense for orlando not saying that he is hands down the best player on the Magic but most valuable. Dwight is their best player but Hedo sets it up for everyone.

With Lamar he came in with high expectations and with an immense amount of talent. With his height, athletic ability, handles, etc...he's silky smooth. So when he dangles a triple double every now and then....to laker fans, people are like wow....he should be able to do that every night why can't he sustain that which cause many frustrations for laker fans.

But LO is the ultimate team player he sacrifices for the benefit of the team. Coming off the bench when the coach asks him to (check)
Facilitating the triangle (check)
Hit the open guy (check)
Grab boards like a savage beast (check)

Not saying that Hedo is better than Odom, i think it is the fact that expectations are higher for Odom than Hedo.

You also gotta remember that Hedo didn't start off a good player while Odom did, so the expectations are totally different. It seems just this year that Hedo became a really good player.