PDA

View Full Version : Odom Far Apart In Negotiations with the Lakers

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Source: LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers7-2009jul07,0,2747762.story)

There has been no movement in negotiations between the Lakers and free-agent forward Lamar Odom.

Odom, who made $14.1 million last season, is asking for $10 million per year in a new contact. Los Angeles doesn't appear willing to grant his request, especially with their payroll increasing.

There's really nothing to report," said a source familiar with the negotiations who wasn't authorized to talk publicly.

If the Lakers don't re-sign Odom, there only spending tool is the biannual exception, an offer of a two-year contract starting at $1.99 million.

"I hope so," Kobe Bryant said of Odom returning. "He better be."

S-Dot
07-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Kobe said it best: "He Better Be." Without Odom, that Artest signing is not as strong as it could have been. It puts them and Boston eye-to-eye if KG is healthy

Ace33Bone
07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I feel that the LAkers need Odom... but if they do not sign him they will still get a big name player that can step in there and still get the job done... there are still a lot of FA available that would suit the Lakers needs... All they need is someone to come off the bench and provide them with some offense... I wouldnt be suprised to see someone like Marion take the MLE to come to LA

DCSportsIsPain
07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
There are a couple of teams other than the Lakers who have the money to sign Odom. It really comes down to whether he cares more about trying to repeat or getting paid. If Odom wants $10M and the Lakers are offering the MLE, which is around $5.6M, I'd guess Odom will be signing elsewhere.

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I feel that the LAkers need Odom... but if they do not sign him they will still get a big name player that can step in there and still get the job done... there are still a lot of FA available that would suit the Lakers needs... All they need is someone to come off the bench and provide them with some offense... I wouldnt be suprised to see someone like Marion take the MLE to come to LA

That can't offer that because they gave the MLE to Artest. The article mentions they can only offer 1.99 million.

NIUHuskies
07-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Doesn't the first post say they only have 1.99 million per year to offer someone?

S-Dot

I agree that they will sign some1 else, but Odom was the perfect fit for that team last year. It's hard to replace a 6'10 Point-forward who can score both inside and out

Big Game Son
Odom goes to OKC. Hehe! RLy hed fit right in there!

Ace33Bone
07-07-2009, 11:19 AM
That can't offer that because they gave the MLE to Artest. The article mentions they can only offer 1.99 million.

Doesn't the first post say they only have 1.99 million per year to offer someone?

My fault I did not read the rest of the post thank you... but mark my word the Lakers will work something out where they will get a decent player for that 1.99Mil thats just what they do

Big Game Son
07-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Kobe said it best: "He Better Be." Without Odom, that Artest signing is not as strong as it could have been. It puts them and Boston eye-to-eye if KG is healthy

Actually Boston just got Sheed. Theyd be a step behind. Id even argue they MAY be a step behind Cleveland pending how tomorrow pans out for them.

mikantsass
07-07-2009, 11:21 AM
They need Odom. Even though he has been extremely inconsistent with LA and Miami, the Lakers need him to boost a below average bench. He gives the bench energy and a much needed go-to 6th man. It would be a big blow to LA if he leaves and goes elsewhere, especially with Ariza leaving.

Ace33Bone
07-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Odom goes to OKC. Hehe! RLy hed fit right in there!

I like OKC as well but its no chance of him going there... he will go to a team that he still feels has a chance to be contender and OKC is some years down the road from being contenders

Jahari Kavi

if they don't get odom back, I would say Boston, Spurs, and Cavs > lakers......

They need Odom. Even though he has been extremely inconsistent with LA and Miami, the Lakers need him to boost a below average bench. He gives the bench energy and a much needed go-to 6th man. It would be a big blow to LA if he leaves and goes elsewhere, especially with Ariza leaving.

couldn't agree more.

ematz1423
Odom is extremely important to the Lakers without him I don't even think they will win the west with him they will probably repeat.

S-Dot
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Actually Boston just got Sheed. Theyd be a step behind. Id even argue they MAY be a step behind Cleveland pending how tomorrow pans out for them.

I'm not too sure sure if Boston surpassed them yet...Kobe, Artest, and Pau is still a powerful trio. I think they're eye-to-eye

Big Game Son
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I like OKC as well but its no chance of him going there... he will go to a team that he still feels has a chance to be contender and OKC is some years down the road from being contenders

This is a valid point. He is older and the taste of winning was sweet! In that case a team like...G-State or Phoenix?

LakerMikeNJ
07-07-2009, 11:26 AM
The Lakers absolutely need Lamar Odom. I'm tired of reading these boards and people saying they can get someone else. They used their MLE on Artest already and they have no cap space. There should be a rule that you can't post if you don't understand this concept. All they have is that biannual exception and good luck getting anyone comparable to Odom with that money.

Ace33Bone
07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
This is a valid point. He is older and the taste of winning was sweet! In that case a team like...G-State or Phoenix?

I can def see him with Phoenix or G- State the only problem with G-State is that they do not have the pieces to make them contenders yet... Phoenix would be a very good fit for him but the bottom line is that he WILL SIGN BACK WITH THE LAKERS... mark my word :cool:

miller
07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I think Odom will stay on at the Lakers. They benefit each other. They will work something out. If he does stay then the Lakers have put themselves in a fine position to repeat, but it will still be exceptionally tough.

Tblaze
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Isn't Portland the only team left with enough capspace to sign him straight up right now?

ematz1423
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
If the Lakers don't sign Odom their best bet would be to trade Morrison who only has 1 year left at about 4 million along with a trade exception to aquire a better bench player. Otherwsie the Lakers bench will be poor.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-07-2009, 11:31 AM
LO's goin to Denver.

DaVille
07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
No Odom means Mo Bynum. Someone call 911 the lake show is sinking.

Jahari Kavi
07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm not too sure sure if Boston surpassed them yet...Kobe, Artest, and Pau is still a powerful trio. I think they're eye-to-eye

this isn't just about trios though.......we're talking about an entire team from top to bottom.......Ron Ron is a great add, but he doesn't equal Ariza + Odom

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
IF Odom is going to go anywhere it should be Portland as they are 10 million under the cap and can pay him the money he wants. Also they are the only other team that is legit enough to win a title where he can get 9-10 million a year.

If Portland was going to offer 50 million for 5 years for Hedo who is 30 years old then they should do the same for Odom and lock him up.

NYMetros
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
All I've heard is that he loves the west coast and wants to re-sign with LA. Guess not?

That would be a monumental blow to the Lakers if he leaves. He was a primary instrument in helping the Lakers win in the playoffs. They can't afford to lose him.

DCSportsIsPain
07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
The Lakers absolutely need Lamar Odom. I'm tired of reading these boards and people saying they can get someone else. They used their MLE on Artest already and they have no cap space. There should be a rule that you can't post if you don't understand this concept. All they have is that biannual exception and good luck getting anyone comparable to Odom with that money.

You know. You are right.

Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Early Bird exception

This is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than five seasons.

A much-publicized example for this would be Devean George, who vetoed his inclusion into a larger trade during the 2007-08 that would have sent him from the Dallas Mavericks to the New Jersey Nets because he would have lost his Early Bird rights.

Non-Bird exception

Free Agents who qualify for this exception are called "non-qualifying free agents" in the CBA, meaning they do not qualify under either the Larry Bird Exception or the Early Bird Exception. Under this exception, teams can re-sign a player to a contract beginning at either 120% of his salary for the previous season, or 120% of the league's minimum salary, whichever amount is higher. Contracts signed under the Non-Bird exception can last up to six years.

Looks to me like the MLE and cap space don't make a mother ****ing bit of difference in re-signing Odom.

S-Dot
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
if they don't get odom back, I would say Boston, Spurs, and Cavs > lakers......

couldn't agree more.

I'm not even a Kobe fan, but right now, they're still the top team with Boston. That trio is sick.

Jahari Kavi
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not even a Kobe fan, but right now, they're still the top team with Boston. That trio is sick.

As a diehard rockets fan I can let you know right now that Ron won't generate us much offense as some of you think he will. I like Ron's toughness, but Odom (eventhough he's incredibly inconsistent) is a great fit for the triangle. Lakers lose a lot of athleticism and size with both ariza and odom gone.........they need odom back or they may not even make it out the west......

LeGacy is Music
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM

Come to think of it. The lakers are looking at Nate Robinson so if they get both players coming off the bench with high levels of Energy. IT's another Ring for KOBE

SwaggaIke
07-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Odom played some of the best ball of his life in Miami. But I do agree that they need Odom. I think all chance of a repeat go down the toilet for LA w/o L.O.

S-Dot
07-07-2009, 12:52 PM
As a diehard rockets fan I can let you know right now that Ron won't generate us much offense as some of you think he will. I like Ron's toughness, but Odom (eventhough he's incredibly inconsistent) is a great fit for the triangle. Lakers lose a lot of athleticism and size with both ariza and odom gone.........they need odom back or they may not even make it out the west......

There's no replacing Odom; you are right about that...do they have the money to sign anyone else relevant if odom leaves

BigDaddyKaine
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
We NEED Odom no if and or buts about it we NEED him... If for some reason doesn't sign with the Lakers then we take a step back behind Boston, Spurs, and possibly Cavs and Magic

ggg
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't kno why u people say he's inconsistent. Its pretty consistent when LO plays LA wins. those who truly understand what LO brings to the lakers knows that. Those who say he is inconsistent r just sayin it like mj is the greatest. They truly don't understand what mj does.

NYtilIdie
07-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Odom is a rare player he can play the 4 and still shoot from the outside and doesn't mind coming off the bench yeah his shooting isn't as good as Rashard's, but he drives better and plays better D too HUGE loss for LA if they lose him. I cant see a team with Luke Walton or Sasha being the 6th man repeating. Hey the little man Nate Robinson is still available.

Didn't LA give Bynum a $58 mil/4 yr deal last year? That hasn't worked out like LA planned so give Odom his $10 mil as a backup plan and focus on a repeat.

marques724
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
IF Odom is going to go anywhere it should be Portland as they are 10 million under the cap and can pay him the money he wants. Also they are the only other team that is legit enough to win a title where he can get 9-10 million a year.

If Portland was going to offer 50 million for 5 years for Hedo who is 30 years old then they should do the same for Odom and lock him up.

Hedo was a much better fit for Portland than Odom. Hedo could play at the three where his ball-handling and shooting from the outside fits the way Portland plays better. Now unless Portland just wants to stick to the lakers, Odom going to the blazers doesn't make much sense to me.

Big Game Son
07-07-2009, 01:54 PM
No Odom means Mo Bynum. Someone call 911 the lake show is sinking.

I've said this for ages. It isnt that Bynum is bad...hes injury prone and his game is VERY limited. Overhyped is more wat I would say about him. I also think they could have got a TON for him if they traded him. They rly should consider moving him it could pan out GREAT! As per Odom as well... I believe he is 100% percent leaving, but Shannon Brown is underrated and I do see some other moves happening. Vujacic maybe?

masalex1205
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't kno why u people say he's inconsistent. Its pretty consistent when LO plays LA wins. those who truly understand what LO brings to the lakers knows that. Those who say he is inconsistent r just sayin it like mj is the greatest. They truly don't understand what mj does.

WHat?

Odom is inconsistent because some games he might look like a top ten player in this league while others he looks like a backup. When he does show up to play LA is pretty unstoppable.

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 04:12 PM
WHat?

Odom is inconsistent because some games he might look like a top ten player in this league while others he looks like a backup. When he does show up to play LA is pretty unstoppable.

If superstars at times are inconsistent than what do you expect from your 3rd or 4th best player on the team?

miller
07-07-2009, 05:23 PM
You know. You are right.

Looks to me like the MLE and cap space don't make a mother ****ing bit of difference in re-signing Odom.

The fact the MLE has been used already becomes a problem should Odom not re-sign with the Lakers. I think his point was that they need to re-sign Odom or be forced to heavily down-grade since they wouldn't have enough cap space to be able to pay enough to get a legit replacement.

DCSportsIsPain
07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
The fact the MLE has been used already becomes a problem should Odom not re-sign with the Lakers. I think his point was that they need to re-sign Odom or be forced to heavily down-grade since they wouldn't have enough cap space to be able to pay enough to get a legit replacement.

It might have been, but this thread is about Lamar Odom and the Lakers, so it seemed the MLE was irrelevant. It still seems that way. If, however, your point was the other poster's point, then it is a valid point.

JoeRealist
07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm telling you people. Lamar Odom is going to Portland when it's all said and done this year. He'll get his 7-8 mil and still be on a legit contending team. Lakers can only offer 2 mil. That's not going to cut it.

S.J.Basketball
07-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm telling you people. Lamar Odom is going to Portland when it's all said and done this year. He'll get his 7-8 mil and still be on a legit contending team. Lakers can only offer 2 mil. That's not going to cut it.

You obviously have NO idea what you're babbling about. The Lakers offered him 7.5 million already and they have the bird rights on him meaning they can match any offer on Odom. Get it right.

camador22
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
You obviously have NO idea what you're babbling about. The Lakers offered him 7.5 million already and they have the bird rights on him meaning they can match any offer on Odom. Get it right.

Your right, however the Lakers are over the cap so 7.5M is really 15M for every year they are over the cap. There is no way the Lakers will come close to the 10M he is asking for. Odom is gone for sure and more then likely to Portland. The Artest signing means nothing if Odom is gone.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
they need Odom badly. And people talking about the cap need to realize its LA. They don't care about that. They will come to some agreement. Nobody is going to give a 30 year old inconsistent player big money, he will have to resign with LA, they know that, so they don't need to cave

camador22
07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
they need Odom badly. And people talking about the cap need to realize its LA. They don't care about that. They will come to some agreement. Nobody is going to give a 30 year old inconsistent player big money, he will have to resign with LA, they know that, so they don't need to cave

He will get the big money and he's to be proven consistent as a starter and a huge player in the playoffs where it counts the most. Every Laker fan know theres no way in hell they would have done it without Lamar

homestarunner93
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Artest <<< Odom+Ariza

If the Lakers don't resign Odom, they've taken a major step back. For those of you saying that the Lakers would still be better or equal to the Celtics, you're crazy.

Durant is hype
07-07-2009, 07:31 PM
This is huge,Odom versatility gives other team's fits. This can be the difference maker whether they get back to the finals or not folks!

Trouble87
07-07-2009, 07:43 PM
If they lose Odom & Ariza its a wrap for them

thats a huge hole in the middle Artest has to fill...

maybe Adam Morrison will step up? :rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
07-07-2009, 07:54 PM
He will get the big money and he's to be proven consistent as a starter and a huge player in the playoffs where it counts the most. Every Laker fan know theres no way in hell they would have done it without Lamar

well, the Lakers are already over the cap. And how has he proven to be consistent?? He sucked in huge losses to a injured Houston team, barely showed up against the Jazz, and because he played well in 3 games against the Magic, he is consistent? Last year, he virtually disappeared in the finals, against a real team, sorry Magic, you aint ready, and the rest of the league is in the hospital.
I think Lamar is a great talent. Has been since day 1. But he totally disappears for stretches, and doesn't command a high dollar deal. LA can't give him one either. ANd like I said, I think my assesment of him is what most teams around the league think, so he isnt getting a big deal anywhere.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Best post of the thread. Nobody is talking about Odom. Everyone knows that he is not worth what he is asking for. Especially in this tight money climate. All the teams that had cap money, spent it on other players. Either nobody wants Lamar, or else Lamars agent is telling them as soon as they call, that he is not interested.

The Blazers have a very good power forward. They are not going to take away minutes from him.

The Thunder would be a nice fit, if they were not in OKC. Lamar does not want to go there and I doubt they want to give a 30 year old player all that money when they have to re up their star young players.

Then there is the Grizzlies who can offer more than the mid level. Not going to happen. No explanation necessary.

Lamar has two choices. Sign with another team for the mid level. Or take the Lakers offer and stay in L.A. I dont think thats too tough a decision

camador22
07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
well, the Lakers are already over the cap. And how has he proven to be consistent?? He sucked in huge losses to a injured Houston team, barely showed up against the Jazz, and because he played well in 3 games against the Magic, he is consistent? Last year, he virtually disappeared in the finals, against a real team, sorry Magic, you aint ready, and the rest of the league is in the hospital.
I think Lamar is a great talent. Has been since day 1. But he totally disappears for stretches, and doesn't command a high dollar deal. LA can't give him one either. ANd like I said, I think my assesment of him is what most teams around the league think, so he isnt getting a big deal anywhere.

What playoffs were you watching. Odom was clutch and huge in the playoffs. No way would they have beaten the Rockets without him. Odom>Artest and I guarentee the Lakers will not win a ring if he leaves.

IBleedPurple
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM

There are a couple of teams other than the Lakers who have the money to sign Odom. It really comes down to whether he cares more about trying to repeat or getting paid. If Odom wants $10M and the Lakers are offering the MLE, which is around $5.6M, I'd guess Odom will be signing elsewhere.

x2 on both

superkegger
07-07-2009, 08:12 PM
This is really non-news. Until someone else hotly goes after Odom, there isn't pressure on the Lakers to re-sign him to the $10 million he wants. Other teams may express interest, or say they're interested, but until it gets to a point of negotiations with another team, it's non news.

KaganRS
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Kobe should smack the **** outta Kuptchak for being so damn cheap while he is in his prime , especially since Bird rules apply and they can go over the salary cap to sign him. Who cares about luxury tax threshold as of right now .... they have time to get under that number during the season.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
07-07-2009, 08:22 PM
odom come to nnnnnnjjjjjjjjj!!!!!!!!!!!
that would be great.
go nets!!!

SouljahPhil...
07-07-2009, 08:29 PM
What playoffs were you watching. Odom was clutch and huge in the playoffs. No way would they have beaten the Rockets without him. Odom>Artest and I guarentee the Lakers will not win a ring if he leaves.

woahh...Relax man...No way LO is better than artest.....

I agree our chances of winning a ring greatly diminish without LO...The correct point should be we won't win anything without LO or Artest... Without Artes you have puke as your starting SF which sucks...yikes... Also If we won't have LO our 1st big off the bench would be dacos and josh which also sucks...Which lead me to conclude that we need both guys...Both are valuable for us..

Hawkeye15
07-07-2009, 08:36 PM

I was watching the 2007-8 playoffs, and the 2008-9 playoffs. Odom shows up half the time. When he does, they are not losing. So yes, I will agree, without him, they don't win this year. But he can be replaced.
And Odom over Artest is arguable. I am not a big fan of either, but at the very least, Ron offers toughness on top of his offensive inconsistency

Kings Faithful
07-07-2009, 08:45 PM

I don't care what anyone says. Boston is a better team and will be a better team if KG is healthy. They were the better team last year in my opinion but KG getting injured ended any chance they had.

Lakers4ItAll
07-08-2009, 03:22 AM
I don't care what anyone says. Boston is a better team and will be a better team if KG is healthy. They were the better team last year in my opinion but KG getting injured ended any chance they had.

If LA resigns LO how do you figure BOS is a better team, or is that you just hating on the Lakers :rolleyes:

JM09
07-08-2009, 03:45 AM
even if odom stays in LA... he's still done for.... artest is better because artest actually plays every night and is never lackadaisical and never makes ppl shake their heads and say "what a waste of talent" like they do with lamar odom. Odom is a joke

i.got.the.nutz
07-08-2009, 06:21 AM

Still bitter? :)

cHi8DaL5LA420
07-08-2009, 07:38 AM
lakers need odom to win another championship no questions asks

cHi8DaL5LA420
07-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Still bitter? :)

what an idiotic comment... celtics were not better thanthe lakers... they are old and getting slow ... lakers are younger and quicker... dude your an idiot

Sportfan
07-08-2009, 07:53 AM

Where's Cleveland? Coming from a Boston fan right here on paper the cavs are better than us

And frankly I still think odom will resign, I mean how many times do we hear this story of 2 parties far apart in negotiations and in the end kiss up and agree to something. Quite often

24/7
07-08-2009, 08:05 AM
i'm telling you people. Lamar odom is going to portland when it's all said and done this year. He'll get his 7-8 mil and still be on a legit contending team. Lakers can only offer 2 mil. That's not going to cut it.

bird rightsss!!!!!!!!!!! Wakeee uuuppp!!!

DCB/LAL
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM

Yeah your telling us ok......Your a Liar!!! Dont listen to this guy jk ill try this again....Ok they have his Bird Rights this is like the second time ive had quote you and comment you. That means they can offer Odom any contract he is seeking pretty much so they can offer him more than 2 million that you think they can only offer and give him his 7-8 million that you think will be enough to sign him get it?? I really hope you get it this time cause if not i give up

IndiansFan337
07-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Shawn Marion is not going to sign with any team to come in & play off the bench. Regardless of how much they can offer.

Ace33Bone
07-08-2009, 09:15 AM
This is really non-news. Until someone else hotly goes after Odom, there isn't pressure on the Lakers to re-sign him to the $10 million he wants. Other teams may express interest, or say they're interested, but until it gets to a point of negotiations with another team, it's non news.

:clap:I agree until another team steps to the plate saying that they are going to give him what he really wants or a ball park figure close to what he really wants in my eyes he is still a Laker and as long as he is a Laker it will be Lakers vs Boston in the Finals... with Lakers having the slight edge

Ace33Bone
07-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Where's Cleveland? Coming from a Boston fan right here on paper the cavs are better than us

And frankly I still think odom will resign, I mean how many times do we hear this story of 2 parties far apart in negotiations and in the end kiss up and agree to something. Quite often

I am a big Cleveland fan I think LeBron is the Greatest show on earth even better than BArnum and Bailey's, but with that being said I have to agree with S-Dot on this one and he is a Cleveland fan as well, but Boston is better than Cleveland is right now. If Cleveland adds a few pieces then i might have to reconsider this but as far as the here and now ur Celtics are better than my Cavs on paper

Raph12
07-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Odom will probably go back to LA, the only reason he is stalling is so that someone gives him a higher bid and LA matches it so he could get paid more. Lamar has a HUGE sweet tooth and there's no way Odom leaves glamourous LA for any team in this league, except maybe Miami and they can't afford him so he's going back.

Raph12
07-08-2009, 10:04 AM
LA has not offered Odom 8-10m as everyone was saying and they don't want to match anyone who will offer him that much.

Phil Jackson - "...Lamar might not get a contract or level of what we could get last year. He may have to get forced into a situation where he takes less money. If that happens, I hope we're the team that gets to do that (sign him), because I know we can't go above a certain limit - because of our financial situation."

Mitch Kupchak - "Sometimes you just have to say no and move on, and we've done that in the past. I'm hopeful that's not the case here."

Clearly they aren't adamant to fulfill Odom's financial wants so if Portland offers him 8+m he'll probably take it, because LA can't afford to match apparently

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_12773859

WoodbridgeSkins
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Odom wants to start and get paid. He's obviously not happy and feels like he's not getting the respect he deserves in LA.