PDA

View Full Version : Mavs/Raps working on Marion sign-trade

Instant Classic
07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
The Dallas Mavericks, after striking verbal agreements over the past few days to retain Jason Kidd and sign restricted free agent Marcin Gortat to an offer sheet, have identified their latest target: Shawn Marion.

Marion
Marion

The Mavericks and Toronto Raptors, according to NBA front-office sources, are discussing a sign-and-trade deal that would bring Marion to Dallas.

Although no trade appeared imminent Monday night, Dallas has emerged as perhaps the best option for Marion. He appeared to be heading for a new deal with the Raptors when Toronto succeeded in wooing Hedo Turkoglu away from the Portland Trail Blazers with an 11th-hour bid on Friday after Turkoglu had committed to the Blazers.

If the Mavericks and Raptors can strike a deal -- with a third team potentially needed to help make the salary-cap math work -- sources say that former All-Star guard Jerry Stackhouse will almost certainly be headed to the Raptors in the exchange. Stackhouse is scheduled to earn $7 million next season at age 34, but only $2 million of his salary is guaranteed.

Without a sign-and-trade, Marion's options for landing a contract that starts above the projected mid-level exception of $5.8 million next season would appear to be exhausted, with neither Portland nor Oklahoma City -- teams that still have cap space to burn -- expected to make him an offer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310011

JJ_JKidd
07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
From ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310011)

The Mavericks and Toronto Raptors, according to NBA front-office sources, are discussing a sign-and-trade deal that would bring Marion to Dallas.

Although no trade appeared imminent Monday night, Dallas has emerged as perhaps the best option for Marion. He appeared to be heading for a new deal with the Raptors when Toronto succeeded in wooing Hedo Turkoglu away from the Portland Trail Blazers with an 11th-hour bid on Friday after Turkoglu had committed to the Blazers.

If the Mavericks and Raptors can strike a deal -- with a third team potentially needed to help make the salary-cap math work -- sources say that former All-Star guard Jerry Stackhouse will almost certainly be headed to the Raptors in the exchange. Stackhouse is scheduled to earn $7 million next season at age 34, but only $2 million of his salary is guaranteed.

I read this on ESPN. This move i cant understand. the Mavs have Josh Howard. What they need is a shooting guard and a center. IDK what Cuban is doing.

Probably smoking pot with Josh "I dont sing the star spangled banner because im black" Howard.

Duncan = Donkey
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
ehh thats a werd one, they should be going after a C

RocketsRule
07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
This isn't final yet:

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310011

king4day
07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
ehh thats a werd one, they should be going after a C

They will have Gortat signed probably tomorrow (or however long it takes for Orlando to say they won't match.
If he does and they get Marion, I really like their chances.

*Superman*
07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Marion to the Mavs for who??

SB75
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't see how it helps them, unless they plan on moving Howard.

CTown81
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I dont like the Marion fit in Dallas but hey if they get him for Stackhouse and a marginal player it will be a steal. Not sure it will add up to more wins though..

KB24PG16
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
who did they trade

KB24PG16
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
you fail its just a rumor :pity:

JJ_JKidd
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
UPDATE: A second person familiar with the situation said the Marion-to-Dallas scenario was being pushed by Mavs owner Mark Cuban and Marion's agent, Dan Fegan. Dallas, the person said, was trying to involve either Oklahoma City or Memphis as a third team to facilitate Toronto's need to clear cap space for Turkoglu.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15924818

Well let me tell or say right now that any move that Dallas makes, or any other West team for that matter that cannot rival that of the Fisher-Kobe-Artest-Pau-Bynum lineup is pretty much a waste of time.

Kyben36
07-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Howard play SG while Marion plays SF.

JJ_JKidd
07-06-2009, 10:00 PM

Ill let the mods do the editing of the title. Thats not my job. :smoking:

Duncan = Donkey
07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
They will have Gortat signed probably tomorrow (or however long it takes for Orlando to say they won't match.
If he does and they get Marion, I really like their chances.

i didnt even know mavs offered gortat a deal, guess ista a good deal for the mavs then.

good lineup

kidd
terry???
marion
dirk
gortat

st3voness
07-06-2009, 10:07 PM
If this deal happens, it means the end of Josh Howard. He will be moved.

Now, Erica for Rip.

Kidd
Hamilton
Marion
Nowitzski
Gortat

ko8e24
07-06-2009, 10:14 PM
http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15924818

Well let me tell or say right now that any move that Dallas makes, or any other West team for that matter that cannot rival that of the Fisher-Kobe-Artest-Pau-Bynum lineup is pretty much a waste of time.

odom

Young2Kinsler
07-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Howard is long enough to guard the 2's, so I could definately see him being moved there. If Dallas lands Marion without giving up a huge piece of their roster, I will be thrilled. Stackhouse, Williams, and George could all give the Raps cap relief. Honestly, This move would be the one we have been waiting for in Dallas, I'm drooling over Kidd to Marion highlights.

HT9Canada
07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
The raps are doing everything they can to make this team better this year. I could see them just getting crap from Dallas for cap reasons, and then sign some good free agents. However, I can't just see them getting nothing useful in return from Dallas. They surely will want some kinda piece for depth on the bench.

JJ_JKidd
07-06-2009, 10:28 PM
odom

The Lakers won the chip with Odom coming off the bench. I believe they would repeat with him coming off the bench again.

Howard is long enough to guard the 2's, so I could definately see him being moved there. If Dallas lands Marion without giving up a huge piece of their roster, I will be thrilled. Stackhouse, Williams, and George could all give the Raps cap relief. Honestly, This move would be the one we have been waiting for in Dallas, I'm drooling over Kidd to Marion highlights.

We still need an athletic C. Ugh, Amare please???? :rolleyes:

JJ_JKidd
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
And props to the mods for fixing the thread. :clap:

thedfactor
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't really understand why people seem to think Marion isn't a good fit. He plays the 3 and Howard slides to shooting guard. Josh Howard has guarded many 2s over his career and has really improved his jumper on offense. Marion gets to run the floor with Jason Kidd...that will be a thing of beauty, something Kidd really lacked last season.

Kidd/Barea/Roddy
Howard/Terry/Carroll
Marion/Green
Dirk/Singleton
Gortat/Hollins

That would be exciting.

Master Mind
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Josh Howard to Miami?

DaoudS
07-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't see why Josh Howard can't play the two. He is agile enough and can knock down the open jumper.
Kidd - Howard - Marion - Dirk - Gortat

That to me seems like there are 3 guys in there who can score 20+ any night, and 2 that can get 10. Not to mention Howard - Marion - Gortat are all above average defender.

thedfactor
07-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Josh Howard to Miami?Josh Howard is staying in Dallas. Cuban loves JHo and the city is getting over his off-court issues. With Josh healthy next year, he's an important piece to this team's puzzle and therefore he will be suiting up in Big D come fall.

thedfactor
07-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't see why Josh Howard can't play the two. He is agile enough and can knock down the open jumper.
Kidd - Howard - Marion - Dirk - Gortat

That to me seems like there are 3 guys in there who can score 20+ any night, and 2 that can get 10. Not to mention Howard - Marion - Gortat are all above average defender.Kidd isn't too shabby either. I believe he was top 5 in steals last season. His ability to guard the young PGs isn't there as well anymore, but still an above-average defender I'd say. Dirk is the only one left out LOL.

DaoudS
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Kidd isn't too shabby either. I believe he was top 5 in steals last season. His ability to guard the young PGs isn't there as well anymore, but still an above-average defender I'd say. Dirk is the only one left out LOL.

There you go. 4 solid defenders. I think this move would make Dallas a lot tougher and sneaky throughout the season, as well as the playoffs.

I think Singelton or Wright might be going to Toronto along with Stackhouse - IF the deal happens. Knock on wood.

Ragun
raptors need to get a first or something out of this deal.

KaganRS

Now, Erica for Rip.

Kidd
Hamilton
Marion
Nowitzski
Gortat

No thanks! did you do that trade in NBA 2k and feel proud of yourself ?

DaoudS
07-06-2009, 10:51 PM
raptors need to get a first or something out of this deal.

lol there might be a protected second rounder - AT MOST. This is all about cap relief, nothing else.

If Calengelo can get anything else out of it, it's a plus.

Young2Kinsler
07-06-2009, 10:53 PM

It's not that bad of an offer. You get a 13 mil trade chip for the 2010 free agent period, and a C which you need, all while getting rid of a 4 yr contract. That being said, I think Dallas will hang onto Dampier b/c of his trade value next yr.

Trouble87
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't see Marion helping the Mavs ... Stack would probably be more productive that Marion at this point

DaoudS
07-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't see Marion helping the Mavs ... Stack would probably be more productive that Marion at this point

How do you figure? Marion started averaging close to a double double by the end of last year. He is a way better rebounder, passer and defender than Stack.

Stack might be a better shooter, but he can't create opportunities like Marion - no matter how ugly his floaters are.

Young2Kinsler
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM

That has to be the most clueless statement I've seen in YEARS.

thedfactor
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't see Marion helping the Mavs ... Stack would probably be more productive that Marion at this pointThe worst statement by far I've read this evening. No way Stack is more productive for the Mavs than Marion would be. I don't know what world you're living in, but you also have Eddy Curry sig....

SoxBucsFan
07-06-2009, 11:11 PM
seriously
stackhouse hasnt been relevant for years

Acekicker123
07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Can someone with knowledge of the salary cap explain how this would help Toronto clear cap space?

DaoudS
07-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Can someone with knowledge of the salary cap explain how this would help Toronto clear cap space?

Pure speculation:
Raptors sign Marion 7 mil/yr.
Trade him to the Mavs for Stackhouse (7 mil a year)
Raptors buy out Stack for 2 million, adding 5 million to the cap.
The 8-9 million in cap space becomes 12-13 million.
Raptors sign Turkoglu without the need to renounce their rights to masturbation.

Young2Kinsler
07-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I would never want to renounce my rights to masturbation, so I see the Raptors delima.

st3voness
07-06-2009, 11:35 PM

You have to be the stupidest person ever.

I bet you also think Detroit is even going to be a factor this year? Best take the expiring so you have a chance in the 2010 free agency kid.

RaptorsFanatic
07-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Most of you guys overrate Gortat so much....he is ****ing **** man, he will never be a solid starter in the league.

I pity you people.

st3voness
07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Most of you guys overrate Gortat so much....he is ****ing **** man, he will never be a solid starter in the league.

I pity you people.

Just because Bargnani was a bust doesn't mean you have to trash the other 31 starting Centers in the league.

Young2Kinsler
07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Uhh Gortat will be fine and Bargani is far from a bust.

st3voness
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Uhh Gortat will be fine and Bargani is far from a bust.

He's decent, but for a first overall pick, bust.

nads83
07-06-2009, 11:55 PM
yes bargnani is a bust. 15 and 6 is a bust. 20 and 7 after the jermaine oneal trade is a bust. hes already 24...bust!

thedfactor
07-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Bargnani is definitely coming around, it took him some time. Gortat is going to be active and a hard worker. At only 25, he's a big improvement over Dampier and half his ticket, solid add I'd say.

#1Mavericksfan
07-07-2009, 12:17 AM

I pity you people.

Let the Raptors make the playoffs before you talk trash about about the Mavs who makes the playoffs.

JM09
07-07-2009, 12:25 AM

You failed because only little kids use that "fail" crap. You're just mad u have no knowledge of the nba

ldawg
07-07-2009, 12:57 AM
shawn should make this happen this is his best fit.

jdricks
07-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Marion needs to stop being crazy and go to an actual contender. If he goes to Dallas he is probably playing behind Howard on a team without any real title hopes.

#1Mavericksfan
07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Marion needs to stop being crazy and go to an actual contender. If he goes to Dallas he is probably playing behind Howard on a team without any real title hopes.

If the Mavs didn't have "any real title hopes" then they would have been traded Dirk and let Kidd walk so I don't know what your talking about, if Marion where to come then Howard would moved to SG with Marion at SF.

akesh99
07-07-2009, 01:44 AM
If the Mavs didn't have "any real title hopes" then they would have been traded Dirk and let Kidd walk so I don't know what your talking about, if Marion where to come then Howard would moved to SG with Marion at SF.

LOL spoken like a true "#1 Mavericks Fan." Dude, put it in perspective; There are AT LEAST 3 teams in the Lakers, Spurs and Nuggets that are far superior teams. Throw in the fact that the Blazers are looking to make some noise and New Orleans as well as Utah still have solid teams (for the time being) shows that the Mavs don't really have a shot at the title. That being said, the Mavs are a middle of the pack team AT BEST in the West. Factor in the reality that in order to win a championship you not only have to beat your own conference, but you still have teams like Boston, Cleveland and Orlando to beat, really puts the Mavs out of contention at least in my mind. As long as Cuban is running the show, you'll always have a solid team, but right now, the Mavs really don't have a shot at the title.

BigDaddyKaine
07-07-2009, 01:52 AM
IDK who is the mavs are gonna trade for marion. IDK maybe Toronto is looking at this like they were gonna let him walk anyways so now they will at least get something for him.

st3voness
07-07-2009, 02:01 AM
LOL spoken like a true "#1 Mavericks Fan." Dude, put it in perspective; There are AT LEAST 3 teams in the Lakers, Spurs and Nuggets that are far superior teams. Throw in the fact that the Blazers are looking to make some noise and New Orleans as well as Utah still have solid teams (for the time being) shows that the Mavs don't really have a shot at the title. That being said, the Mavs are a middle of the pack team AT BEST in the West. Factor in the reality that in order to win a championship you not only have to beat your own conference, but you still have teams like Boston, Cleveland and Orlando to beat, really puts the Mavs out of contention at least in my mind. As long as Cuban is running the show, you'll always have a solid team, but right now, the Mavs really don't have a shot at the title.

How are you going to say the Spurs are a far more superior team when we knocked them out of playoffs this year? Yeah, Ginobili was injured, but face it.. he's not going to be the same ever again. Duncan is starting to show his age. Richard Jefferson is in an experimental stage. You can't really claim San Antonio superior until everything starts falling in place for them.

st3voness
07-07-2009, 02:02 AM
IDK who is the mavs are gonna trade for marion. IDK maybe Toronto is looking at this like they were gonna let him walk anyways so now they will at least get something for him.

What part of "The Stack Chip" is so hard to guess who that person would be?

pippsux
07-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Wow, the matrix! How many teams will this be? He should have kept his mouth shut while he was living the good life catching alley oops from Nash and being underrated. Now he is nothing but trade fudder. Can't shoot that well, defense is ok, can rebound and run....but nothing special. Amare, I hope you are watching.

Rex-Raptorz
07-07-2009, 02:27 AM
They can get way better Stack hose in Dallas for Marion.

RyderRyfle
07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310011

S-Dot
07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow, the matrix! How many teams will this be? He should have kept his mouth shut while he was living the good life catching alley oops from Nash and being underrated. Now he is nothing but trade fudder. Can't shoot that well, defense is ok, can rebound and run....but nothing special. Amare, I hope you are watching.

I think playing with JKidd, Dirk, and Josh Howard is a great situation for Marion. He should happy with this type of deal

Ace33Bone
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Bargnani has not put up #1 number yet but at the same time he is coming around and I think he will post even better numbers this year... Gortat will never be a solid starter even though he had a great playoffs he still did not show me anything that makes me say he should be starting somewhere... Remember how everyone was so high on Jerome James after he performed well against the Kings and then he ended up going to NY never to be heard from since... And by the way for anyone who thinks that stackhouse can be more productive than Marion in anyway should definitely pick another sport to watch because basketball is obviously not their cup of tea

The_Pharouh
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Ok this is a good idea but here are the problem:which ream better than the mavs want him????
in west:
Lakers : Artest already taking MLE
SAS : Davis is talking at least most of it and they already got RJ
Denver : possibility but do he want to be just bench player for them?
Portland(in case you consider them better) already said they don't want him

East:
Cavs:another possibility still do they want him?
Boston:got Wallace for the MLE
Magic:said he won't fit in their system

so the only 2 better teams are Cavs&Nuggets and he will probably come from the bench in this case so unless he had an offer from them the mavs is the best team he can go for

RaptorsFanatic
07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Just because Bargnani was a bust doesn't mean you have to trash the other 31 starting Centers in the league.

Let the Raptors make the playoffs before you talk trash about about the Mavs who makes the playoffs.

Why are both of you guys getting all defensive?
- Barg has nothing to do with this discussion, and Gortat being trash is my personal opinion, which I'm entitled to.
- Not to be rude, but alot of fans like you guys dont think about what they say before they speak.

By the way, Gortat didnt start for the Magic..so me dissing the other 31 centres doesnt make sense.

Also, he hasnt even signed with you guys until tomorrow, which he probably will, but still I wasnt talking trash and I am entitled to say my opinion.

Do you really think 3.8 pts and 4.5 rbs a game will help? LOL GET REAL...

Dirk4theW1n
07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Why are both of you guys getting all defensive?
- Barg has nothing to do with this discussion, and Gortat being trash is my personal opinion, which I'm entitled to.
- Not to be rude, but alot of fans like you guys dont think about what they say before they speak.

By the way, Gortat didnt start for the Magic..so me dissing the other 31 centres doesnt make sense.

Also, he hasnt even signed with you guys until tomorrow, which he probably will, but still I wasnt talking trash and I am entitled to say my opinion.

Do you really think 3.8 pts and 4.5 rbs a game will help? LOL GET REAL...

You do realize that Dwight Howard is the starting center for the Magic and very few if any center would start over him

RaptorsFanatic
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
You do realize that Dwight Howard is the starting center for the Magic and very few if any center would start over him

Dont tell me that, tell that to your fellow Mavs fans who dont understand that. lol...

Raps18-19 Champ
07-07-2009, 05:26 PM

15 and 5 a bust? I wouldn't say bust but he was more out of place with the pick. He should have been 2nd or 3rd and not first but in no way is Bargnani a bust.

LA_Raiders
07-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Now, Erica for Rip.

Kidd
Hamilton
Marion
Nowitzski
Gortat

Not bad, but not good enought to be a Top 3 in the West...

kjdills13
07-07-2009, 06:04 PM
okay to clear things up for everyone who has no knowledge about the NBA! when gortat played over 25 minutes he averaged 11 points and 9 rebounds 2 steals and 2 blocks! i will take that any day of the week! that is only playing over 25 minutes! you give him a starters role and he will get you

15 points and 12 rebounds 2 steals and 2 blocks on average! any person would be foolish to believe that he is not an upgrade over dampier!

and for the person who said the mavericks were the best fit for marion! hahahahahahahahha you crack me up! we all know the best fit for marion is one of 3 places, PHX, Golden State, NYN all those teams are up temp style teams that fit his style the best!

Now all you people who think you know basketball come and try to tear apart my argument! but deep in your mind you know i am right!

im out like a fat kid in dodgeball

:rimshot:

Young2Kinsler
07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
**** Bargani and Gortat, this is about Marion. I still don't see this deal happening, the window is really closing, since they would have to get this done by tomorrow.

GodsSon
07-07-2009, 06:24 PM
If BC can convince Cuban to take back Banks contract, which he's been pushing for, then that will be an answered prayer for us Raps fans lol