PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers Head to Los Angeles To Court Free Agents

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Source: Cleveland (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/cleveland_cavaliers_gm_danny_f_1.html)

The Cavaliers are on the move in NBA free agency.

Team General Manager Danny Ferry and head coach Mike Brown flew to Los Angeles Sunday for a clandestine free-agent meeting. Team officials refused to confirm who they're hoping to sign, but the Cavs obviously are trying to land one of their free-agent targets as the market heats up again following the July 4 holiday.

Dan Fegan, the agent who represents both Cavs forward Anderson Varejao and Toronto forward Shawn Marion, is based in Los Angeles and often conducts in-person negotiating sessions there. Fegan did not return messages on Sunday. A league source said the Cavs did not meet with Marion in person on Sunday.

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Im hearing that Ariza is thinking about backing out of the Houston deal and coming to the Cavs. Read on another Laker forum so I can't post the link, but it's also on Mo williams twitter.

http://twitter.com/THE_MO_WILLIAMS

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Damn we need Odom!

S-Dot
07-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Im hearing that Ariza is thinking about backing out of the Houston deal and coming to the Cavs. Read on another Laker forum so I can't post the link, but it's also on Mo williams twitter.

http://twitter.com/THE_MO_WILLIAMS

what are the restrictions on this backing out stuff?

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
what are the restrictions on this backing out stuff?

Nothing, because a deal can not be final until July 8th. Elton Brand did it last year.

S-Dot
07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Nothing, because a deal can not be final until July 8th. Elton Brand did it last year.

Thanks. The Cavs could use Marion and another big

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
The Cavs having Marion would be sick. But they need a SG more so.

CTown81
07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Marion would be exactly what the Cavs need. With Bron, Shaq, and Mo on the team we do not need a SG. We need a wing defender. If we can land Marion we could resign Varejo and use the bi-annual on a back up SG.

JDizzle
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
if cav get odom imagine the celtics vs cavs games wow i pay to see that

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 05:20 PM
if cav get odom imagine the celtics vs cavs games wow i pay to see that

Or Cavs vs Magic. They would match up much better.

Shaq and Odom vs Dwight and Lewis. Mo, West and Lebron vs Jameer, Vince and Pietrus

RaysFan
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Cleveland gets a big, fat F for their off-season. They have added nobody and now reports are that Marion is close to a deal that isn't Cleveland. They didn't go hard after Rasheed Wallace, they aren't burning up the phone-lines for Antonio McDyess, they didn't at least fly out to see Villaneuva, they didn't heavily pursue Artest, etc. My jaw hit the floor when I read that Cleveland was being passive in this free-agency and letting things sort out.

To me, and this is just my opinion, Cleveland has a cash-flow problem. That is why they decided to hold onto Wally at the deadline and that is why they opted for Shaq (due to the fact that he has just 1 year left). To me it seems like they are trying to get a bargain of a free-agent instead of going HARD after a few bigger name guys.

I am sorry but Anthony Parker is not the answer. That is the cheap answer, but not the correct one when every other team is looking on spending at least the full MLE.

CTown81
07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Raysfan - you dont live in Cleveland do you?

If you did you would know they did make a pitch for Artest, they also made a contract offer to Ariza.

Rasheed Wallace is not the answer so I am happy they did not go that direction.

They have the tricky task of trying to win this year yet also having financial flexibility to land Lebron a true star side kick next year. Or in the case that Lebron leaves they definatley need the cap room to try and sign multiple big names next year.

The cavs are not interseted in spending 8-10 million a year on marginal Free Agents like CV31 or Ben Gordon. Just because they are some of the bigger names in this class.

They are trying to only spend their MLE on a player they feel is worth it. The only other thing they may do is a sign and trade with Andy for a player.

Im guessing they land Channing Frye and a similiar Guard type player for depth unless Odom wants to spurn LA.

ottograham14
07-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Dan Fegan is the the agent for Varajeo and Marion. If really they are doing anything there it is talking to Fegan about Varajeo who they already said that they really wanted to re-sign.

I would love if they were there to try and do something with Odom but I just don't see him spurning the Lakers. I can see maybe like C-Town said above the Cavs are looking at just role players right now like Channing Frye, Anthony Parker and other small names. I don't see anything else happening huge though with the Cavs this summer and I am not that worried about it.

I wouldn't mind to see a sign and trade with Varajeo though hopefully with some good return if he is asking for too much money. We will see though.

RaysFan
07-06-2009, 11:10 PM
That's the problem with Ferry. You can't have it both ways. Either you try and save money for 2010 or you go all in. It seems like Ferry and Gilbert want to go half-in, which would be horrible because the pieces they had to trade will be gone in 2010 and then they will be left with what...$5 or 6 million below the cap?

If Bron leaves you won't be able to sign any stars in 2010. You will have to over-pay for 2nd-tier guys like TMac or maybe Iverson.

xBLAMEITON24x
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
i seen on Hoopsworld they were possibly talking to Josh Childress

cmellofan15
07-07-2009, 12:43 AM
if they get marion that could either stop LeBron from playing the 4 or trigger it.

Vasherpick6
07-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Lebron told Ariza he would stay past 2010 but the "wooing" failed.

JordansBulls
07-07-2009, 08:17 AM
if they get marion that could either stop LeBron from playing the 4 or trigger it.

Ariza would play SG.

CTown81
07-07-2009, 10:08 AM
RaysFan...

you are just plain wrong.

The options in 2010 to find Lebron a side kick are way better than over paying for somebody this year. Do you think every team in the league will offer one of the stars next year a max deal? I dont think so. Somebody is going to have to settle for a 8-10 million per year deal that will be way better than Charlie V or Ariza.

Ferry is doing the right thing. The Cavs will still contend for the title with the team as it is right now. We almost made the Finals last year and we have added Shaq for nothing. Even old Shaq is a big upgrade to the Cavs.

There is no need to panic. If Lebron leaves the Cavs will be waaayy under the cap next year. The only players under contract will be Mo, Delonte, Darnell Jackson, Boobie and possibly Danny Green. That is only 16-17 million. Plenty of cap room to sign 2 big players.

Gilbert has built a great place to play in CLE. While we might not attract Dwayne Wade if Lebron leaves there are so many good players available we will be able to land 2 solid NBA stars if Bron jets.

Ferry is doing the right thing by NOT overpaying a mediocure free agent class this year and selling any chance at a bright future with or without Lebron.

prodigy
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
That's the problem with Ferry. You can't have it both ways. Either you try and save money for 2010 or you go all in. It seems like Ferry and Gilbert want to go half-in, which would be horrible because the pieces they had to trade will be gone in 2010 and then they will be left with what...$5 or 6 million below the cap?

If Bron leaves you won't be able to sign any stars in 2010. You will have to over-pay for 2nd-tier guys like TMac or maybe Iverson.

unless you sign guys to 1 year deals, duhhhhhh.

dyess/parker

prodigy
07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
RaysFan...

you are just plain wrong.

The options in 2010 to find Lebron a side kick are way better than over paying for somebody this year. Do you think every team in the league will offer one of the stars next year a max deal? I dont think so. Somebody is going to have to settle for a 8-10 million per year deal that will be way better than Charlie V or Ariza.

Ferry is doing the right thing. The Cavs will still contend for the title with the team as it is right now. We almost made the Finals last year and we have added Shaq for nothing. Even old Shaq is a big upgrade to the Cavs.

There is no need to panic. If Lebron leaves the Cavs will be waaayy under the cap next year. The only players under contract will be Mo, Delonte, Darnell Jackson, Boobie and possibly Danny Green. That is only 16-17 million. Plenty of cap room to sign 2 big players.

Gilbert has built a great place to play in CLE. While we might not attract Dwayne Wade if Lebron leaves there are so many good players available we will be able to land 2 solid NBA stars if Bron jets.

Ferry is doing the right thing by NOT overpaying a mediocure free agent class this year and selling any chance at a bright future with or without Lebron.

It would be funny if lebron jets, wade comes to cleveland and wins a ship the first year, LOL!!!

prodigy
07-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Lebron told Ariza he would stay past 2010 but the "wooing" failed.

Ariza wants to start, cavs can't offer that.