PDA

View Full Version : Lakers now have the best scoring Wings & Center & PF combos in the NBA.

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Bynum 14pts 8rebs Pau 19ppg 9rpg

Kobe 27ppg Artest 17ppg

Thats tough to beat.

Thatruth32
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
they are going to be tough to beat... with boston getting sheed thats a squad there too

69centers
07-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Too bad scoring doesn't translate into a title. If that was the case, where are all Dominque Wilkins' and Karl Malone's rings?

BkOriginalOne
07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Their not going to put the same numbers. Having artest in there to jack up shots takes away from Pau and Bynum
We'll see how playing with a premier perimiter player effects Bryant's numbers. I don't see him averaging more that 25 or 26 with Artest at the wing.

Unruly Fan
07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
This will be interesting. Artest's addition is definately a plus but I wonder how their chemistry will be?

Kobe will have to share more. Dun dun dunnnnn :speechless:

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Their not going to put the same numbers. Having artest in there to jack up shots takes away from Pau and Bynum
We'll see how playing with a premier perimiter player effects Bryant's numbers. I don't see him averaging more that 25 or 26 with Artest at the wing.

I don't thin Kobe cares that his scoring is going to go down, I think he welcomes it. He is just thinking about going on a title run for the next 3 years to get to 7.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-06-2009, 12:38 PM
All those points are going to go down.

I bet Bynum only gets 10 ppg, Pau gets 16 ppg, Artest gets 14 ppg and Kobe stays the same.

sp1derm00
07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Too bad scoring doesn't translate into a title. If that was the case, where are all Dominque Wilkins' and Karl Malone's rings?

Yea, but you're talking about Kobe and Artest defending the perimeter. You're talking about a former DPOY and a perennial All-NBA Defensive 1st Team player.

You're talking about a frontcourt duo that held Dwight Howard to well below his season and post-season scoring averages. A duo that is a combination of size and length.

The Lakers are going to be formidable in both offense and defense... that's a given. I don't care whose averages drop, the scoring will be there.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Kobe 27ppg Artest 17ppg

Thats tough to beat.

The Magic has some socring too.

Howard and Carter average +22 points with Nelson at 14-15 and Lewis at 19 ppg.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I would think Artest's averages will dip. So will Kobe's, as he has more help. Artest was forced to play the go to scorer on a number of occasions for Houston, something he won't have to do with LA nearly as much.

ctitus45
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM

on MJ's fingers.

tbomlad
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
The Magic has some socring too.

Howard and Carter average +22 points with Nelson at 14-15 and Lewis at 19 ppg.

I agree. The Magic are actually the team to watch. They have plenty of scoring as it stands now but if they add a quality starting PF they will most definitely be the team to beat.

AntiG
07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
too bad Bynum sucks.

RaiderLakersA's
07-06-2009, 01:01 PM
on MJ's fingers.

Exactly!!!

NYtilIdie
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Bynum is not the best Center Howard is averaged more in rpg and ppg and bpg.

Kobe the best wing man, but the Celtics are more stacked now that they got Rasheed. Expect Pau or Bynum's stats to drop cause if you watched the LAL/Hou series Artest LOVES the jumpshot so he can shoot you out out of a game.

I wouldn't call Artest an elite defender anymore he's a good defender, but I would take Battier's defensive skills over Artest any day. Artest can't stop guys like Lebron or Pierce while Battier can give them more of a challenge.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-06-2009, 01:03 PM
This free agency is filled with PF's too so it wont be so hard for the Magic to get one.

da wood
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
hum bynum sucks huh wait till he come back healthy hopefully he can stay that way then watch out

tonyd3b54
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Kobe the best wing man, but the Celtics are more stacked now that they got Rasheed. Expect Pau or Bynum's stats to drop cause if you watched the LAL/Hou series Artest LOVES the jumpshot so he can shoot you out out of a game.

I wouldn't call Artest an elite defender anymore he's a good defender, but I would take Battier's defensive skills over Artest any day. Artest can't stop guys like Lebron or Pierce while Battier can give them more of a challenge.

artest just tries to physically dominate the opposing player on defense... and that doesnt work against guys like pierce melo or lebron...

sp1derm00
07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
artest just tries to physically dominate the opposing player on defense... and that doesnt work against guys like pierce melo or lebron...

Artest doesn't just try to physically dominate the opposing player. He has GREAT defensive fundamentals and hustle. His physical domination is what makes him elite, but he's got great defensive instinct.

Battier isn't as quick or physical as Artest, but he's more mental and definitely does his homework. I hope Artest picked up on how Battier studies his opponents and utilizes it.

Reversed86Curse
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Bynum will probably just get hurt again- Orlando and Boston are the teams to watch right now.

sp1derm00
07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Bynum will probably just get hurt again- Orlando and Boston are the teams to watch right now.

Even without Bynum, the Lakers will most likely get Odom back.

Odom and Pau are no joke and is actually probably more effective than Bynum and Pau.

So, yah.

LAKERRS24
07-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Yeah, and Garnett will probably get hurt again, and Nelson will probably get hurt again, and Duncan will probably get hurt again, and Shaq will probably get hurt again....moron

The ChILL
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
on mj's fingers.

booyah!!!

Hawkeye15
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Artest doesn't just try to physically dominate the opposing player. He has GREAT defensive fundamentals and hustle. His physical domination is what makes him elite, but he's got great defensive instinct.

Battier isn't as quick or physical as Artest, but he's more mental and definitely does his homework. I hope Artest picked up on how Battier studies his opponents and utilizes it.

as you will see next season, Artest is no longer an elite defender. He can still do it for small stretches, but isn't the elite defender he was. Battier was the primary defender on the wing for Houston, Ron gave him breaks now and then basically, and took over the role when Battier sat down.

barbjake
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, and Garnett will probably get hurt again, and Nelson will probably get hurt again, and Duncan will probably get hurt again, and Shaq will probably get hurt again....moron

I'd be willing to bet that Bynum has already missed about as many games as KG has in his whole career.

I get that Lakers fans LOVE bynum, but you have to admit, he is the definition of being injury prone.

Also, this Lakers team is starting to look more and more like the Payton/Malone lakers than the shaq/kobe lakers. Just signing players with famous names doesn't make the team better, but I guess landing a total team salary right at 100 million may do it.

barbjake
07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I love also, seeing all the Lakers fans who were talking **** about artest when him and Kobe were going at it in the playoffs this year, now they think he's the best because he plays for the Lakers now.

JayW_1023
07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
The Lakers are obviously the team to beat...but Boston and San Antonio now are well equipped to make them seriously sweat. They both match up the best with the Lakers.

If Orlando and/or Cleveland add another solid power forward they will be good enough to be in that elite group. But as of now I rate them a tad below LA, and a healthy Boston and a healthy San Antonio.

LAKERRS24
07-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Bynum has already missed about as many games as KG has in his whole career.

I get that Lakers fans LOVE bynum, but you have to admit, he is the definition of being injury prone.

Also, this Lakers team is starting to look more and more like the Payton/Malone lakers than the shaq/kobe lakers. Just signing players with famous names doesn't make the team better, but I guess landing a total team salary right at 100 million may do it.

He had badluck in second injury, Garnett is 12 years older, so the possibilty that garnett injurys again is high, and he's coming off an injury, so you don't know.. I just can't stand someone saying that any player will probably get hurt.. cmon we even shouldnt be discussing about that... no one should be said you're gonna get injured again...

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 01:36 PM
The Lakers are obviously the team to beat...but Boston and San Antonio now are well equipped to make them seriously sweat. They both match up the best with the Lakers.

If Orlando and/or Cleveland add another solid power forward they will be good enough to be in that elite group. But as of now I rate them a tad below LA, and a healthy Boston and a healthy San Antonio.

I think Orlando is better than the Cavs. A line up with Nelson, Carter, Lewis, ??, and Howard is pretty good.

sp1derm00
07-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Tmac and Yao are the definition of injury prone.

Bynum's first knee injury was bad, but has since healed and not given him problems.

Bynum's second knee injury was the definition of a freak accident. Had it happened to Dwight Howard, it would have turned out the same way.

He's not injury prone yet, but he might be considering the integrity of both his knees has been weakened. He's not injury prone yet.

showtym24
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Also, Lakers team is starting to look more and more like the Payton/Malone lakers than the shaq/kobe lakers. Just signing players with famous names doesn't make the team better, but I guess landing a total team salary right at 100 million may do it.

Please explain to me how your teamates crashing into your knees makes you injury prone? And before the freak injuries he was playing at an allstar level both years. Averaging something like 25 12 and 3.

limebalz05
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
U guys need to remember too that both Artest and Kobe are getting up there in age. I personally think they will both perform to their level, but that age startes creeping up on you and those little injuries become nagging injuries. Both players keep themselves in great shape, but just keep that age factor in the back of your head! I'm same age as Kobe, and I'm a superb athlete who competes and excel in very simular activities. It sucks getting old!

LAKERRS24
07-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I love also, seeing all the Lakers fans who were talking **** about artest when him and Kobe were going at it in the playoffs this year, now they think he's the best because he plays for the Lakers now.

That's normal. Ask anybody, even Artest will tell you it's logical. Same with Huoston fans, they cursed Ariza, now they say it's their bright future. It's basketball man, Jackson directly prevented Malone twice, and Payton once to get a ring, but they thought the same, if you can't beat them, join theem, rasheed, couldn't beat boston....where is he now?

sp1derm00
07-06-2009, 01:46 PM

I love how you confuse Artest's defensive abilities with his mental problems.

I have stated that I prefer us getting back Ariza over Artest because it's less of a gamble. I don't doubt Artest is the superior player, but he's a headcase and I think all Laker fans still realize this.

NEVER have I questioned Artest's defensive prowess, and I doubt anyone knowledgable about NBA players has either. I am excited and nervous to see how Artest will gel with this Laker team with Phil Jackson's coaching. In the best case scenario, the Lakers will be absolutely unstoppable with the combined efforts of Kobe and Artest hounding perimeter players and with Bynum and Gasol's length affecting shots in the paint.

I am definitely scared of the downside of what Artest brings, but questioning Artest's defense never crossed my mind.

NBAdyNASTY
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM

No, but defense does. Kobe and Artest are two of the best defenders in the league. Odom and Bynum are no slouches on the defensive end either. Ahhhh, jealousy. Can you say REPEAT.

NBAdyNASTY
07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
too bad Bynum sucks.

And so does Big Baby!

Rylz
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think you can call this one just yet, but you have to admit that they're scary on paper!

DoubleDragon
07-06-2009, 02:01 PM

True...
But Kobe and Artest have been known to play a little (1st Team All NBA) defense as well

Raph12
07-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Kobe 27ppg Artest 17ppg

Thats tough to beat.

Sorry Gibs but I predict it will be more like this next season:
Fisher: 11ppg 3-4apg
Kobe: 26ppg 5apg
Artest: 15ppg 4rpg
Pau: 17ppg 8rpg
Bynum: 13ppg 8rpg
Odom: 12ppg 5rpg

With Artest taking enough shots to get 15ppg the rest of the Lakers will take less therefore score less, but a dominating starting 5 and 6th man if they can get Odom back, I predict a 65+ win season again, title I'm unsure about ask me again in October.

sp1derm00
07-06-2009, 02:09 PM

With Artest taking enough shots to get 15ppg the rest of the Lakers will take less therefore score less, but a dominating starting 5 and 6th man if they can get Odom back, I predict a 65+ win season again, title I'm unsure about ask me again in October.

Thats 6 players scoring 94 points per game combined.

LARaider25
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
It's funny listening to all the haters, all of you are just upset because the best team in the league just got better and to all the idiots saying Pau, Bynum & Kobe's #' are gonna a drop what about Rashad, Howard & Nelson's #'s now that Vince Carter is their, Carter avg's about 20 shots a game so that means about 5-6 less shots for Lewis, Nelson, & Howard. The Celtics getting Rasheed doesn't make them a team to watch, one the oldest team in the league just older that's it.

lakers sqaud
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
That's normal. Ask anybody, even Artest will tell you it's logical. Same with Huoston fans, they cursed Ariza, now they say it's their bright future. It's basketball man, Jackson directly prevented Malone twice, and Payton once to get a ring, but they thought the same, if you can't beat them, join theem, rasheed, couldn't beat boston....where is he now?

let me just add the reason we cursed artest was because he just killed us in that series, it was like he put that team on his back & carried them.....but the whole time we were thinking he was coming 2 L.A. after the season~!:)

cmellofan15
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Well the Lakers and the Celtics have put themselves above the rest. Both were 60 win teams who picked up a big name free agent

lakers sqaud
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM

if we resign odom & brown it will be more like 70+ games we will winm barring no injurys & ARTEST pics up the triangle O~!

BoltLakerPadre
07-06-2009, 02:24 PM

That's funny, I could have sworn that the rules for basketball says that whoever scores the most points wins the game. Maybe I read that one wrong.

Oh, and if you're implying that Karl Malone has no rings, but is the second leading scorer in NBA history, therefore scoring=not winning, then I guess you forgot one little part of that equation, KAREEM ABDUL JABAR!!!!!

All time leading score with 6 rings. Weird. Oh, and Showtime was a pretty good offense that beat the Celtics and was the best team of the 80's. And now the best team of the 2000's is an offensive team.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, Kobe and Artest as wing defenders are going to be quite a formidable duo.

BoltLakerPadre
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
No, but defense does. Kobe and Artest are two of the best defenders in the league. Odom and Bynum are no slouches on the defensive end either. Ahhhh, jealousy. Can you say REPEAT.

I can say it; REPEAT!!!!!!!

Leafsleeve
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
No way in hell the Lakers repeat. All of the basketball world knows that if Garnett wasn't injured the Lakers would have gotten beat down.

lakers sqaud
07-06-2009, 02:34 PM
No way in hell the Lakers repeat. All of the basketball world knows that if Garnett wasn't injured the Lakers would have gotten beat down.

we will see because i think it will be a lakers-celts finals~!

Raph12
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Thats 6 players scoring 94 points per game combined.

Your wrong, I'll explain in a second, but first I'd predict the team scoring to be as follows:
Fisher: 11ppg
Kobe: 26ppg
Artest: 15ppg
Pau: 17ppg
Bynum: 13ppg
Odom: 12ppg
Walton: (Near) 4ppg
Vujacic: (Near) 4ppg
Powell: (Near) 4ppg
Brown: (Near) 4ppg
Farmar: (Near) 3ppg
I know that accumulates to 19ppg for the bench (excluding Odom) which added to the 94ppg would seem to be an avg of 113ppg, but these guys will score their points on different nights, Kobe may have a night he scores 40 and another he scores 19, Farmar may score 9 one day and 0 another, My prediction for the team avg is 109ppg so these numbers may not be as farfetched as they seem initially.

if we resign odom & brown it will be more like 70+ games we will winm barring no injurys & ARTEST pics up the triangle O~!

I see what you mean, but I don't expect everyone to just mesh instantly and also there is no such thing as a no-injury season therefore i said 65+ and not 65-70 because 65+ can mean 75 wins but also 67 wins

Leafsleeve
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
If Artest doesn'e implode it will be Lakers and Celtics

LAKERRS24
07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe you're right when you say Artest isn't anymore DEFENSIVE TIGER LIKE HE WAS, but you should also consider he'll get help from Mamba, so it will be easier for both of them....and houston was one of the best defensive teams in 2009 playoffs....

pad1
07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Hopefully Vujacic isn't playing for the Lakers next year. :pity:

lakers sqaud
07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
your wrong, i'll explain in a second, but first i'd predict the team scoring to be as follows:
Fisher: 11ppg
kobe: 26ppg
artest: 15ppg
pau: 17ppg
bynum: 13ppg
odom: 12ppg
walton: (near) 4ppg
vujacic: (near) 4ppg
powell: (near) 4ppg
brown: (near) 4ppg
farmar: (near) 3ppg
i know that accumulates to 19ppg for the bench (excluding odom) which added to the 94ppg would seem to be an avg of 113ppg, but these guys will score their points on different nights, kobe may have a night he scores 40 and another he scores 19, farmar may score 9 one day and 0 another, my prediction for the team avg is 109ppg so these numbers may not be as farfetched as they seem initially.

I see what you mean, but i don't expect everyone to just mesh instantly and also there is no such thing as a no-injury season therefor i said 65+ and not 65-70 because 65+ can mean 75 wins but also 67 wins

i agree~!!

still1ballin
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM

:cry:

JRisdabest
07-06-2009, 02:49 PM
yea i agree bynumb suks

LAKERRS24
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM

You don't know this. I can say if Bynum wasn't injured last year, when he was 22,13,3 we would sweep you in the Finals. This could go on, and on, and on...

Super.
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
And so does Big Baby!

And who did better this post-season? (stats wise)

KG, Perk, Pierce, and Rondo are no slouches on Defense ether

neither is sheed. With the Celtics getting Sheed, the Magic grabbing Vince, and the Cavs getting Shaq. No, i really dont see a repeat, they will fall into line and not repeat, just like every other winner since '02

but in a game that requires chemistry....how will these large egos mesh together?

:cry:

i also agree, stop whining. We didnt win. Get over it. Just wait till next year :D

MSG34
07-06-2009, 03:05 PM
It's going to be interesting to see Artest gels with the Lakers. Especially with the triangle offense.

There's a lot of bold statements with the recent signings but FA is nowhere near over. So many things can happen. Rosters are still subject to change.

xBLAMEITON24x
07-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a repeat to me.

Raph12
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
It's going to be interesting to see Artest gels with the Lakers. Especially with the triangle offense.

There's a lot of bold statements with the recent signings but FA is nowhere near over. So many things can happen. Rosters are still subject to change.

Well said and with so many good FAs left, who knows what the strongest team on paper will look like come October, because that's all we'll know til then, how strong these teams are on paper, we'll see what happens on the court late oct, early nov.

xBLAMEITON24x
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Can't wait for next season and Lakers- Celtics Final

Revenge is so Sweet

fresh prince
07-06-2009, 03:09 PM

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer Feb 27, 12:15 am EST

HOUSTON (AP)—LeBron James missed shots,(7-21) complained to the refs and went an entire game without an assist for the first time in his career.

The Houston Rockets, meanwhile, showed they just might be contenders in the Western Conference with a 93-74 win over James and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night.

Yao Ming scored 28 points and Ron Artest added 15 while harassing James on defense most of the night, leading the Rockets to their six consecutive win and ninth straight at home.

Shadowed by the equally strong Artest from the opening tip, James missed three of his first four shots, part of Cleveland’s 2-for-10 start. The Cavs double-teamed Yao whenever he touched the ball, but Scola scored eight early points to help Houston build a lead.

So much for that thought! :rolleyes:

Raph12
07-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Can't wait for next season and Lakers- Celtics Final

Revenge is so Sweet

doubt celts' will get there, old is gold, maybe in terms of wine, but in basketball old is just old plain and simple

domz248
07-06-2009, 03:26 PM

your funny you have no clue about basketball ... the only team that can stand up to the lakers is the celtics and even they are not good enough... artest is a big upgrade over ariza ... it's funny how people say he's going to jack up tons of shots lol there's no reason for him to have to do that he's going to be the number 3 or 4 scoring option all he's going to need to do is focus on d and make his ride open shots that he's going to have now... artest as never played with a team like the lakers ... he has it was easy now wide open shots and wide open trips to the lane things he never gets ... just watch the laker show make a other run at the title

LetsGo HomeTeam
07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Bynum and Gasol the best PF/C combo? no way

Howard/Lewis
Perkins/KG
then Bynum/Gasol

and the only reason the lakers have the best SG/SF is cuz no one has a better SG, but Artest is only a second tier SF, but def one of the top 2nd tier

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Got a quick question bro. If you had to shut a wing player down for an entire quarter for your team too win the game. Who would you rather have guarding him Battier or Kobe?

LetsGo HomeTeam
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer Feb 27, 12:15 am EST

HOUSTON (AP)—LeBron James missed shots,(7-21) complained to the refs and went an entire game without an assist for the first time in his career.

The Houston Rockets, meanwhile, showed they just might be contenders in the Western Conference with a 93-74 win over James and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night.

Yao Ming scored 28 points and Ron Artest added 15 while harassing James on defense most of the night, leading the Rockets to their six consecutive win and ninth straight at home.

Shadowed by the equally strong Artest from the opening tip, James missed three of his first four shots, part of Cleveland’s 2-for-10 start. The Cavs double-teamed Yao whenever he touched the ball, but Scola scored eight early points to help Houston build a lead.

So much for that thought! :rolleyes:

i guess chris duncan is the end all be all of evaluating NBA players lol

LetsGo HomeTeam
07-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Got a quick question bro. If you had to shut a wing player down for an entire quarter for your team too win the game. Who would you rather have guarding him Battier or Kobe?

Battier no questions... kobe's defense is overrated just like LBJ's

still1ballin
07-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Battier no questions... kobe's defense is overrated just like LBJ's

and that is why Kobe was selected all nba 1st defensive team this year right?

fail

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Bynum and Gasol the best PF/C combo? no way

Howard/Lewis
Perkins/KG
then Bynum/Gasol

and the only reason the lakers have the best SG/SF is cuz no one has a better SG, but Artest is only a second tier SF, but def one of the top 2nd tier

See the thing is it's Bynum/Gasol/Odom that is key for us to bring back another Title. Artest and Kobe are going to be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Kobe's Defense overrated pfft Plz! The 1st Key too play defense is Passion and do you see any passion and determination lacking from Kobe's game.

LetsGo HomeTeam
07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
and that is why Kobe was selected all nba 1st defensive team this year right?

fail

its put to a vote... its not a science

and so was LBJ and i think that while they are good defenders they are both a lil overrated on defense... just my opinion tho

LetsGo HomeTeam
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
See the thing is it's Bynum/Gasol/Odom that is key for us to bring back another Title. Artest and Kobe are going to be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Kobe's Defense overrated pfft Plz! The 1st Key too play defense is Passion and do you see any passion and determination lacking from Kobe's game.

ok but still Perk>Bynum KG>Gasol Sheed=Odom so i still take the celts PF/C but its pretty close either way.

i am not questioning Kobe's defense... he is really good... i just think if its possible his D is a lil overrated thats all i am not even trying to diss his D.

i just dont think that he and Artest will give nightmares anywhere outside of the 3pt line offensively

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
This is goin to be a very entertaining season that is for sure.

rapjuicer06
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
your funny you have no clue about basketball ... the only team that can stand up to the lakers is the celtics and even they are not good enough... artest is a big upgrade over ariza ... it's funny how people say he's going to jack up tons of shots lol there's no reason for him to have to do that he's going to be the number 3 or 4 scoring option all he's going to need to do is focus on d and make his ride open shots that he's going to have now... artest as never played with a team like the lakers ... he has it was easy now wide open shots and wide open trips to the lane things he never gets ... just watch the laker show make a other run at the title

oh please, boston could potentially blow l.a. out again with the signing of sheed. if they have sheed, garnett, pierce, allen and rondo in, who in the hell is bynum going to guard? how about fisher? look kobe and artest can defend great, but you have more liabilities(sp) than you have great defenders. kobe shuts down allen, and artest shuts down pierce who's going to shut down rondo, sheed, and garnett? and i'm pretty sure garnett and sheed are very good defenders too, great rebounders, and pierce is an alright defender himself. and this is coming from a magic fan who hates the celtics...but its in the bag for them if they can stay healthy

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 03:51 PM
ok but still Perk>Bynum KG>Gasol Sheed=Odom so i still take the celts PF/C but its pretty close either way.

i am not questioning Kobe's defense... he is really good... i just think if its possible his D is a lil overrated thats all i am not even trying to diss his D.

i just dont think that he and Artest will give nightmares anywhere outside of the 3pt line offensively

The Big lines are definetly close except in age where the Lakers fronts are much younger.

It might be shown a lil more and people recognize it because his Offensive game is superior.

Good thing they both have Excellent post moves. Bryant should benefit even more now from having Artest on the same team.

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
oh please, boston could potentially blow l.a. out again with the signing of sheed. if they have sheed, garnett, pierce, allen and rondo in, who in the hell is bynum going to guard? how about fisher? look kobe and artest can defend great, but you have more liabilities(sp) than you have great defenders. kobe shuts down allen, and artest shuts down pierce who's going to shut down rondo, sheed, and garnett? and i'm pretty sure garnett and sheed are very good defenders too, great rebounders, and pierce is an alright defender himself. and this is coming from a magic fan who hates the celtics...but its in the bag for them if they can stay healthy

That was a good finals 2 years ago. The only blow out game I saw was the last one in that finals.

Thats a big If. Age might have caught up too these guys. This is a 1 maybe 2 year window. The Lakers winning this year does set up a potential Classic Showdown in this next year's final.

Kevj77
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM

I get that Lakers fans LOVE bynum, but you have to admit, he is the definition of being injury prone.Did you happen to see how his injuries happened? When he landed on LO's foot two years ago it rolled his ankle and buckled his knee, that would have sent anyone to the DL including KG. Last year when Kobe dove into his knee it actually looked way worse, but it still would have sent anyone to the DL including your tough guy KG. It has been bad luck. He was playing great ball before both injuries, it takes time to come back.

KobeBeatJeeesus
07-06-2009, 04:07 PM
You guys just want to sit and talk about the Lakers signing Artest and thinking it will have a negative impact if any at all? You really think Shaq is going to HELP lebron and not take away from his posessions or clog up the lane or just be slow and old with shoddy knees? Or to actually think that an over the hill Wallace is going to help boston without even starting? Give me a break.

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Just saying: I would rather have Odom/Ariza than simply Artest. Artest's biggest asset is also his biggest weakness, he will keep shooting no matter if he is having a good game or bad game. Which could translate as 1-18 or 9-18... depending on the night. I would rather have Odom than Artest tbh, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I doubt Lakers repeat, the East has gotten much stronger and Lakers have gotten weaker. Not to even begin to mention the Spurs, Nuggets, etc.

Team with best wing, PF, C combo is Boston. Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Wallace, and Garnett.

LAKERRS24
07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Actually this is true^^

QuaLiThADoN
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
This will be interesting. Artest's addition is definately a plus but I wonder how their chemistry will be?

Kobe will have to share more. Dun dun dunnnnn :speechless:

this reminds of artest threatening to kill kobe in the playoffs lmfao

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Just saying: I would rather have Odom/Ariza than simply Artest/Odom. Artest's biggest asset is also his biggest weakness, he will keep shooting no matter if he is having a good game or bad game. Which could translate as 1-18 or 9-18... depending on the night. I would rather have Odom than Artest tbh, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I doubt Lakers repeat, the East has gotten much stronger and Lakers have gotten weaker. Not to even begin to mention the Spurs, Nuggets, etc.

Team with best wing, PF, C combo is Boston. Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Wallace, and Garnett.

I would rather have Artest /Odom and your correct it's a big deal for us to get Odom.

Lakerfan In NY
07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
You guys are over-estimating what Sheed brings to the celtics & under-estimating what Artest brings to the Lakers.
Let's forget that the celtics lost Big Baby & Loen Powe & didn't replace them w/ anyone. right now you have scalibine, House, Hill, Allen, & Sheed on your bench? I am scared... Sheed at this point in his career is a jump shooter (a good one) but a jump shooter none the less. He's not as active on the boards as the two guys they lost. He'll be a solid player off the bench but stop making him into "super sub".

Artest in a word gives the Lakers something that we didn't have vs the Celtics. Which was the main reason we lost to the Celtics...TOUGHNESS. Mental & Physcial. We over came the mental part... But lets see the Boston bully get in Artest face, or give someone hard foul & not get one right back. Forget the numbers, you have your intimidator/DPOY in KG. Now we have our DPOY in Artest. Who'll get all those calls the refs allows DPOY to get away with like KG got.
You see how KG presence changed the Celtics defense & I hear all of you WHINE about now it affected the defense when he got hurt. So what effect do you think Artest will have on the Lakers defense? We will always be able to score, but if Artest brings a 48 minute defense 1st mindset to LA...I don't care who anyone has, you won't be able to stop the Lakers for 48 minute & forget about winning 4 games in a series.

Raph12
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I would rather have Artest /Odom and your correct it's a big deal for us to get Odom.

Odom is HUGE for the Lakers to have a chance, because as we saw Bynum easily gets into foul trouble than who would play the 4? Artest?, Powell?, Mbenga? Odom is versatile and a great passer, he can determine whether they beat a healthy San Antonio (with Glen Davis) in the WCFs, and Orlando (with Brandon Bass) or Cleveland (with Marion) or Boston (with Sheed), Odom can guard any of those guys, Artest, Powell and Mbenga simply cannot. Odom will be a difference-maker no doubt but they still have ways to go before another LA repeat. Btw Artest/Odom is better imo than Ariza/Odom, it will take time for everyone to mesh, but Phil will figure it all out. Looking forward to a Lakers-Magic rematch but this time with a different result! Magic in 6

Ripper Gein
07-06-2009, 04:54 PM

so what werent the celtic fans talking **** bout sheed, every team's fans do it.

WoodbridgeSkins
07-06-2009, 04:57 PM
This thread is terrible. It's like saying KFC has the best fried chicken & cole slaw & mashed potatoes in fast food.

Bruno
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Doesn't really matter, everyones numbers are going down next year (avoid Laker players in fantasy next year). The question is, will they remain a great passing team, that is all that matters, along with D. The scoring will be there.

Verbal Christ
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
yep and you have the one guy who can single handedly destroy any and all chemistry that team had. enjoy!

ematz1423
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Am I missing something because im pretty sure Odom hasn't resigned and I wouldn't exactly say that he's a lock to resign either.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM

True. Good thing 3 of those 4 players are great defenders with one of them being able to hold his own at times (at the PF position).

GREATNESS ONE
07-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Am I missing something because im pretty sure Odom hasn't resigned and I wouldn't exactly say that he's a lock to resign either.

your right he hasn't yet. Anything can happen still.

Raph12
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
ye he hasn't but he has said "We just won a championship, you don't want to see one piece not there. Hopefully we can keep everybody here." He wants to come back and someone mentioned that LA is offering him 8-10m a year which nobody will match for Odom except maybe Portland and why would you play in Portland if you can play in LA?
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-06-18/odoms-mind-on-returning-lakers-next-season

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
When Rasheed Wallace is motivated he is a top 20 player in the NBA... Honestly I didn't watch the pistons much last season so I don't know if his age is becoming a huge factor. But the Lakers are a weaker team than last year, thus far in Free Agency. It can still change obviously, but Artest LOVES the spotlight and runs down the shot clock by himself on possessions. Lakers fans know when they watched the Rockets-Lakers series that would happen all the time.

However, I will admit that they are still a good team... Spurs/Nuggets... maybe Trailblazers are better.

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
ye he hasn't but he has said "We just won a championship, you don't want to see one piece not there. Hopefully we can keep everybody here." He wants to come back and someone mentioned that LA is offering him 8-10m a year which nobody will match for Odom except maybe Portland and why would you play in Portland if you can play in LA?
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-06-18/odoms-mind-on-returning-lakers-next-season

Some would rather be a big fish in a small pond than be a small fish on a piece of driftwood awaiting for a younger 7' foul machine or caveman to get enough fouls to sit on the driftwood so you may enter.

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
When Rasheed Wallace is motivated he is a top 20 player in the NBA... Honestly I didn't watch the pistons much last season so I don't know if his age is becoming a huge factor. But the Lakers are a weaker team than last year, thus far in Free Agency. It can still change obviously, but Artest LOVES the spotlight and runs down the shot clock by himself on possessions. Lakers fans know when they watched the Rockets-Lakers series that would happen all the time.

However, I will admit that they are still a good team... Spurs/Nuggets... maybe Trailblazers are better.
The last time he was motivated he was 29 years old, now he is 34. Too old.

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Mutombo was in his 40's and motivated... Age means nothing.

DCB/LAL
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Mutombo was in his 40's and motivated... Age means nothing.

Fine then ill say a motivated Laker Team will win the title again cause they showed you they will this last season!!:D

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Lakers are always motivationally challenged until they can smell the championship.

bolts4ever
07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
A LAKER NATION U SMELL THAT???? NO NOT THOSE CELTIC HATER!!!! SMELLS LIKE A BACK TOBACK CHAMPIONSHIP.

NOW CELTIC FANS. All I hear about is IF KG WAS HEALTHY WaS HEALTHY!!! or RASHEED is a .... LOOk u guys have a good team EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!! But Ur team is basically JUMP SHOOTERS!!! That can really rebound. And know u picked up a guy that loves to shoot the3.
Ur A LOT OLDER AND A LOT SLOWER when u really analyze both Laker and Celtic roster.

Even if u said that "THESE LINEUPS ARE EVEN" then u would go to da team with the best player. WHO'S DA BEST PLAYER???? KKOOBE BBRRYANT!!!! Had to get that out of the way.

BUT to ANSWER THE THREAD!!!
All in all PAU/ BYNUM/ ODOM???? Are much more explosive on da offensive end than GARNETT/PERK/ WALLACE no question so Ill go wit them.
C U IN DA FINALS!!!! IF U GET THERE??????

Iron24th
07-06-2009, 09:47 PM

:clap:

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
A LAKER NATION U SMELL THAT???? NO NOT THOSE CELTIC HATER!!!! SMELLS LIKE A BACK TOBACK CHAMPIONSHIP.

NOW CELTIC FANS. All I hear about is IF KG WAS HEALTHY WaS HEALTHY!!! or RASHEED is a .... LOOk u guys have a good team EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!! But Ur team is basically JUMP SHOOTERS!!! That can really rebound. And know u picked up a guy that loves to shoot the3.
Ur A LOT OLDER AND A LOT SLOWER when u really analyze both Laker and Celtic roster.

Even if u said that "THESE LINEUPS ARE EVEN" then u would go to da team with the best player. WHO'S DA BEST PLAYER???? KKOOBE BBRRYANT!!!! Had to get that out of the way.

BUT to ANSWER THE THREAD!!!
All in all PAU/ BYNUM/ ODOM???? Are much more explosive on da offensive end than GARNETT/PERK/ WALLACE no question so Ill go wit them.
C U IN DA FINALS!!!! IF U GET THERE??????

Is this guy your representative? And is "IF U GET THERE" a question or statement? Because I picture Ron Burgundy saying "See you in the finals, if you get there?"

Lakerfan In NY
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM

You were goin good until you said trailblazers? & Spurs closed the gap but still aren't better. Nuggets are for real but Artest will help to take away there only real mis-match.
you assume that we can't find times when we can allow him to go one on one crazy. In the triangle, we clear out for SF to go to work. If you watch laker games you'll see Luke Walton in the post. All this talk about artest killing the clock, no one talks about how Phil will control him, & find times to allow him to do him.

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
He is uncontrollable. Need I remind you of how he was banned for a year for going in to a crowd and swinging aimlessly? And how he continues to rap even though he has no flow or rhythm! NO ONE CAN STOP HIM!

ko8e24
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
All those points are going to go down.

I bet Bynum only gets 10 ppg, Pau gets 16 ppg, Artest gets 14 ppg and Kobe stays the same.

ok, wutever makes u happy :)

NeutralFan
07-06-2009, 10:53 PM

actually the lakers played the C's twice during the season with Garnett playing. You might want to look up the result. Truth is Pau and Bynum are alot tougher players than they were when KG dominated them.

NeutralFan
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM

you really need to start watching bball. You think a Kobe led team is going to let Artest run the shot clock out? Kobe is the best leader in the nba and will not let anyone get in his way.

Grim Reaper
07-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Kobe 27ppg Artest 17ppg

Thats tough to beat.

Pierce, Ray Allen
Perkins, KG

That's how you beat it.

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Um... Neutral fan my *****.

Second of all, Artest won't be scoring 17 ppg, maybe 14...

Lakers ARE WEAKER and anyone who doesn't agree to that doesn't deserve to have the ability of sight or hearing. You bunch of Helen Kellers.

artest_kobe
07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
lakers moneyline every game next year.

still1ballin
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Lakers ARE WEAKER and anyone who doesn't agree to that doesn't deserve to have the ability of sight or hearing. You bunch of Helen Kellers.

LOL how so amigo

Grim Reaper
07-06-2009, 11:43 PM

I agree 100% with you. I've been saying it for the past 3 days.

SouljahPhil...
07-06-2009, 11:52 PM

what a really smart guy...lol

Silent
07-07-2009, 12:00 AM
artest aint even gonna worry about scoreing he will be the defensive presence and the executioner to watch kobes back.

and bynum will get hurt again and be a bum for the rest of his career

Er1c
07-07-2009, 02:35 AM

explain why they are weaker please

DCB/LAL
07-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I find it funny how about a week ago everyone argued that LA fans thought to highly of Ariza and how overrated he was now its a week later and now all of sudden were a weaker team because we swapped Ariza with a better player in Artest :rolleyes:

thepaul
07-07-2009, 05:36 AM
I find it funny how about a week ago everyone argued that LA fans thought to highly of Ariza and how overrated he was now its a week later and now all of sudden were a weaker team because we swapped Ariza with a better player in Artest :rolleyes:

Ah Ah well said!

DoubleDragon
07-07-2009, 01:17 PM

What was the season record for the Lakers/Celts again? (even with a healthy Garnett)

...waiting

Oh...2-0 (Lakers favor)

Sour grapes (and predictable)
Be happy you got 1 ring. I hope your Geritol taking, Viagra endorsing bunch does make it to the finals. Your post is the exact response everyone expected from a jealous Boston fan. Unfortunately, Cleveland will obviously be there in the Finals next year...but good luck man!!

domz248
07-07-2009, 01:27 PM

i don't even have to defend myself your a magic fan lol ... you just saw what our team did to you guys 4-1 finals ... this year we have a healthy bynum and and new allstar with artest... i hope you remember how bynum was playing before he went down... your just indenial about what happend in the finals

DoubleDragon
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM

:drool:

Are you 8 years old?
We aren't looking for more OFFENSE Einstein.
:rolleyes:

"Helen Kellers"?
really man?

:drool:

promixxer
07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
U guys need to remember too that both Artest and Kobe are getting up there in age. I personally think they will both perform to their level, but that age startes creeping up on you and those little injuries become nagging injuries. Both players keep themselves in great shape, but just keep that age factor in the back of your head! I'm same age as Kobe, and I'm a superb athlete who competes and excel in very simular activities. It sucks getting old!

People were saying the same thing about jordan after his baseball vacation. I think he won a few more after that. It's not like Kobe and artest are in there late 30's.

Age wise, the lakers are in there prime. Kobe 30, Artest 29, Pau 29, Bynum 21, Fish 34, LO 29.

im more like fish's age and just finished a triathlon. As long as you have the right staff to take care of you, injuries should be ok. They have the best medical staff money can buy.

Reyes6
07-07-2009, 02:05 PM
AT THIS POINT-
W/O Odom I am saying

Lakers are a weaker team. If this game was all about putting the best names on paper then the Knicks would have won 3 titles in the past 5 years. It's about chemistry and I don't see how LOSING a guy who gave you 12 and 9 in the playoffs and replacing him with a hot head who shot nearly 40% during the season. PLUS you have lost the man who used to start at SF in Trevor Ariza, a man who you were all praising was going to be AMAZING in a few years.

Basically you are saying....
Artest>Odom+Ariza

Then in the playoffs Artest's numbers dipped below his season average from 17 to 15 ppg, 5 rpg to 4 rpg, and 3 apg from 4 apg. Mind you this is after they lost their starting Center and #1 option in Yao Ming. Oh but he must have taken less shots then? No, his FG% also dipped to an awful 39.4%. Oh but defense... in the Conference semi-finals against the Lakers the man he was set to defend... No not the Immortal Kobe Bryant, Trevor Ariza was able to shoot 50% from the floor. 50%! Artest is losing a lot of athletic ability, but I'm sure he was just letting the Lakers score because he is a Lakers fan at heart.

So if you say they are stronger, please provide me with some logical statistics... not "OMG KOBE AND RON RON, 42.0 POINTS PRE GAME ECAH!"

Please, logical statistics.

promixxer
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Sure boston could potentially blow out LA but the chances of that happening are slim this year because they are an entirely different team that played them in the finals. Besides boston could not beat the lakers last year with a healthy squad and a 19 game winning streak. How many times did you beat the lakers last year. the lakers with artest only make them tougher. The triangle offense will get the lakers pretty much any type of shot they want. With the pieces we have, we are very stong 1 thru 6.

As we all know, it's defense that will get you the ring.

This is the match up. Lakers Defense

C= Bynum on KG - to KG
PF= Pau on Perkins to Pau
SF= Artest on pierce to Artest
SG= Fisher on Allen = even
PG= kobe on Rondo = Kobe

Bench: LO on Sheed = Even (LO can't stop sheed inside, if he goes there. but we all know he is mainly a jump shooter now)

This is Celtics Defense.

C= Perkins on Bynum = bynum
PF= KG on Pau = KG
SF= Pierce on Artest = even
SG= Allen on Kobe = kobe
PG= Rondo on Fisher = fish

Bench: Sheed on LO = Even (sheed can't defend around the arc, LO usually pays the point. Not sure that sheed is used to playing that far out)

Reyes6
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
And Lakers fans become silent....

DrDEADalready
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Kobe 27ppg Artest 17ppg

Thats tough to beat.

Cocky are we?

lakers sqaud
07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
AT THIS POINT-
W/O Odom I am saying

Lakers are a weaker team. If this game was all about putting the best names on paper then the Knicks would have won 3 titles in the past 5 years. It's about chemistry and I don't see how LOSING a guy who gave you 12 and 9 in the playoffs and replacing him with a hot head who shot nearly 40% during the season. PLUS you have lost the man who used to start at SF in Trevor Ariza, a man who you were all praising was going to be AMAZING in a few years.

Artest>Odom+Ariza

Then in the playoffs Artest's numbers dipped below his season average from 17 to 15 ppg, 5 rpg to 4 rpg, and 3 apg from 4 apg. Mind you this is after they lost their starting Center and #1 option in Yao Ming. Oh but he must have taken less shots then? No, his FG% also dipped to an awful 39.4%. Oh but defense... in the Conference semi-finals against the Lakers the man he was set to defend... No not the Immortal Kobe Bryant, Trevor Ariza was able to shoot 50% from the floor. 50%! Artest is losing a lot of athletic ability, but I'm sure he was just letting the Lakers score because he is a Lakers fan at heart.

So if you say they are stronger, please provide me with some logical statistics... not "OMG KOBE AND RON RON, 42.0 POINTS PRE GAME ECAH!"

no your wrong,Artest-odom>ariza-odom...:clap:

jim51990
07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
kobe =amazing
gasol / artest = great
bynum = absolute trash

GREATNESS ONE
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
no your wrong,Artest-odom>ariza-odom...:clap:

I said that earlier to him,he ignored my comment. Just let him go on in his own world. The fact is we don't have Odom yet.

GREATNESS ONE
07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
kobe =amazing
gasol / artest = great
bynum = absolute trash

I don't over extend the Hype with Andrew and believe what I see on the court. Let's not br ridiculous he's not absolute trash he put up good numbers when healty.

Thats like me saying Perkins is Trash. When clearly he is not even though I still dislike him:)

promixxer
07-07-2009, 06:08 PM
And Lakers fans become silent....

. Of course this makes the Lakers stronger. You are wrong. It's Because Kobe and Ronnie will
score 43 points. Not 42. First I have to educate you on laker basketball. yes ariza did
start but he was not always the starter. He actually came off the bench most of the season.
It was not until Luke asked to come off the bench that he got his shot. And that was after
the Vlad trade.

The reason why everyone in Laker town was so High on Ariza was because he could play some
defense and he shot really well toward the end of the season. His shot was horrible last year
and spotty the first half of the season. He fit in really well with the Triangle offense.
He can not get his own shot and relied on Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Fish and LO to kick it to him
for a WWWW____IIIIIII____DDDDDD______EEEEE open 3. Remember, he is the 5th option for on
the lakers starting Five. His job on offense was to get out on the break and shoot 3's.
Thats it.

Artest relied on Yao to get him open shots also. The main difference here is that Artest
still shot better than Ariza being the 2nd option and shooting more shots per game for the
season. Artest also was the focus of other teams defensive schemes. When Yao went down the
focus went to artest. If kobe goes down the focus goes to pau and LO. Ariza is still the
5th option.

And really think about it, Who doesn't get Lit up like a christmas tree guarding Bryant.
The difference is that Artest will still come at you where Ariza will not. I will agree
that the lakers will be weaker with out LO but as of right now, The starting 5 is
stronger than last year with Artest.

A few reasons why.
*Artest is stronger than Ariza
*Artest can create his own shot, Ariza can't
*Artest can rebound better than Ariza
*Artest has a post up game, Ariza does not
*Artest can defend the post better than Ariza
*Artest can defend the wing just like ariza if not better

Ariza is a good player but I am not sure how well he is going to be without Yao and the triangle
offense. If i have to choose one of the two to guard me, I take my chances with ariza.

Dwight_is_King
07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
San Antonio vs. Orlando next year
Artest will be a cancer and the Lakers might not even make it to the conference finals if Denver and San Antonio play to their ability down the stretch.
Boston just got older... Rasheed should have gone to the Magic or Cavs because they're both young and need a PF.
SA will beat Denver in the WCF because they know how to win and have more talent.
Orlando will beat Cleveland in the ECF because Shaq can't guard Dwight and Vince Carter is a REAL go-to guy down the stretch. sorry Hedo

Kings Faithful
07-07-2009, 06:14 PM
. Of course this makes the Lakers stronger. You are wrong. It's Because Kobe and Ronnie will
score 43 points. Not 42. First I have to educate you on laker basketball. yes ariza did
start but he was not always the starter. He actually came off the bench most of the season.
It was not until Luke asked to come off the bench that he got his shot. And that was after
the Vlad trade.

The reason why everyone in Laker town was so High on Ariza was because he could play some
defense and he shot really well toward the end of the season. His shot was horrible last year
and spotty the first half of the season. He fit in really well with the Triangle offense.
He can not get his own shot and relied on Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Fish and LO to kick it to him
for a WWWW____IIIIIII____DDDDDD______EEEEE open 3. Remember, he is the 5th option for on
the lakers starting Five. His job on offense was to get out on the break and shoot 3's.
Thats it.

Artest relied on Yao to get him open shots also. The main difference here is that Artest
still shot better than Ariza being the 2nd option and shooting more shots per game for the
season. Artest also was the focus of other teams defensive schemes. When Yao went down the
focus went to artest. If kobe goes down the focus goes to pau and LO. Ariza is still the
5th option.

And really think about it, Who doesn't get Lit up like a christmas tree guarding Bryant.
The difference is that Artest will still come at you where Ariza will not. I will agree
that the lakers will be weaker with out LO but as of right now, The starting 5 is
stronger than last year with Artest.

A few reasons why.
*Artest is stronger than Ariza
*Artest can create his own shot, Ariza can't
*Artest can rebound better than Ariza
*Artest has a post up game, Ariza does not
*Artest can defend the post better than Ariza
*Artest can defend the wing just like ariza if not better

Ariza is a good player but I am not sure how well he is going to be without Yao and the triangle
offense.

Ariza is the guy who won that championship for you. If he wasn't there, you wouldn't even have made it passed the second round. Artest is all of those things you said above...however he is also more selfish than Ariza and can cause trouble and drama at any time during the season. Also expect to get totally ridiculous flagrant/technical fouls called against him purely because he is Ron Artest (however, being a Laker my null the the Ron Artest effect). Ron Artest is also a highly inconsistent shooter. He can be great some nights, and completely garbage other nights. Lamar and Ariza is better to have than Artest... believe me. I had to deal with him for a couple years.

Dwight_is_King
07-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Also... you might be seeing LO in a Magic uniform next season. Stan Van has said over and over again how much he loves Lamar and coached him when they both were with the Heat. Just saying.... imagine that starting 5. Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Odom, Howard

Grim Reaper
07-07-2009, 06:22 PM
What was the season record for the Lakers/Celts again? (even with a healthy Garnett)

...waiting

Oh...2-0 (Lakers favor)

Sour grapes (and predictable)
Be happy you got 1 ring. I hope your Geritol taking, Viagra endorsing bunch does make it to the finals. Your post is the exact response everyone expected from a jealous Boston fan. Unfortunately, Cleveland will obviously be there in the Finals next year...but good luck man!!

What was the score of game 6 of the 2008 finals again? 131 to 92 and the Celtics are going to be better this season. You think winning 2 regular season games equals getting ripped a new ***** hole in the finals. The Lakers will never get revenge for that beating they took in 08' no matter how many regular season games they win against the Celtics. Oh and Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett is a better trio than Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, and Pau Gasol. It's close but there's no doubt the Celtics trio is the best in basketball.

Nets2010
07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I think everyone in here trying to play Miss Cleo " Oh read my opinion " Crystal ball B.S. should stop. Yes Boston got better...they got older too. Cleveland & Orlando got better... Cleveland W/O Shaq in 08 was a Game 7 worse than Boston...09 Cavs were better than the healthy 09 Celtics...San Antonio just got better by adding a wing like Jefferson...Denver will be back in the mix...Portland will also... Pretty much THE WHOLE DAMN LEAGUE JUST GOT BETTER ! SO IF BOSTON OR LA NEITHER MAKES IT DON'T BE SURPRISED! & If they do both meet up.... LA really is that much better than that 08 team that got whooped...& if you're ignorant enough to say that LAL couldn't be considered a favorite to take the whole damn thing for the next 3 years... You're opinions are biased and not based on logical probability...Boston healthy in 09 was a WORSE team than LA... LA was just hungrier... and if a matchup in the Finals happened again with them.. LA would still be the hungrier team... & as a fan of Basketball in general we should just enjoy this coming season and the following offseason...b.c. after that there won't be anymore hype...and there will be a New Age in the NBA 2010.

Nets2010
07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh and I'm not taking jabs @ the Celtics. I love their Big 3 ! But the Celtics and Lakers have large tasks ahead of them if either is to make it out of their respective Conference's.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
wow, there is a lot of pumping Artest up here. He was once a great defender, and can still do it for small doses, but he is not an elite defender that you can ask to shut someone down for a game with anymore. He shoots WAY too many threes, and is a ball stopper on offense. It doesn't upgrade or downgrade the Lakers. Either he adjusts, or the Lakers deal with him being a black hole.
They need to resign Odom however, or fill that void in some way. The Celtics, and Spurs are reloading, and if healthy, will be as much as LA can handle as it currently looks

promixxer
07-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Ariza is the guy who won that championship for you. If he wasn't there, you wouldn't even have made it passed the second round. Artest is all of those things you said above...however he is also more selfish than Ariza and can cause trouble and drama at any time during the season. Also expect to get totally ridiculous flagrant/technical fouls called against him purely because he is Ron Artest (however, being a Laker my null the the Ron Artest effect). Ron Artest is also a highly inconsistent shooter. He can be great some nights, and completely garbage other nights. Lamar and Ariza is better to have than Artest... believe me. I had to deal with him for a couple years.

I will say that that is the only unknown factor with Artest is his attitude.

We do know this. NO-one on that sac team demanded the respect of artest. He will now have Kobe, LO, Pau and Fish keeping him in check. These are proven champions. It is a totally different team and goal he is after. I'd be pissed all of the time if i had the money and Zero chance for a Title let alone a playoff appearance. They play for the money than the rings. he is now playing for the rings.

We have PJ to also keep him in check. I think he will still get his technical called on him but Kobe is just as bad now. He was two away from being suspended this year.

And as far as Ariza winning the title for us. I have NO clue what games you were watching. you do know he was our 5th option right. I personally thought it was a team effort getting us to the ring. I might be wrong.

As far as Artest being an inconsistant shooter, it could not be any different than Ariza. He was not shooting very well until the last two series. The difference is that when ariza is off, you just sit him. Artest can still take you to the rack or post you up. Ariza points came off of the break and wide open 3's.

Don't get me wrong, He was a good laker.

promixxer
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
What was the score of game 6 of the 2008 finals again? 131 to 92 and the Celtics are going to be better this season. You think winning 2 regular season games equals getting ripped a new ***** hole in the finals. The Lakers will never get revenge for that beating they took in 08' no matter how many regular season games they win against the Celtics. Oh and Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett is a better trio than Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, and Pau Gasol. It's close but there's no doubt the Celtics trio is the best in basketball.

I thought that the 131 to 92 win was bostons revenge for magics baby hook in boston. I thought we were even.

Boston doesn't even get past the magic or cleveland next year. nice try.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I thought that the 131 to 92 win was bostons revenge for magics baby hook in boston. I thought we were even.

Boston doesn't get past who next year? If they manage KG's minutes, which is obvious they will at this point, and the big 3 along with Wallace are healthy come playoff time, how are they not a monster contender??
and the oldest player on the Celtics or Lakers was like 13 when that game happened. That play made it even for when Boston slapped LA around in 1984 after game 3.

Iron24th
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Also... you might be seeing LO in a Magic uniform next season. Stan Van has said over and over again how much he loves Lamar and coached him when they both were with the Heat. Just saying.... imagine that starting 5. Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Odom, Howard

Do you know salary cap???

Grim Reaper
07-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Even? :laugh: The Celtics and Lakers met in the NBA finals 11 times and Boston has won 9 times and the Lakers only won twice. It's not even close to even and the only way the Lakers can get revenge for that 40 point beatdown in game 6 is to sweep the Celtics in next seasons finals or beat them by 40.

YankeeFan89
07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Artest wants to win....he knows it's Kobes team..He didn't take a MLE contract for no reason. Team chemistry will def. work out. Artest knows what's best.
Lakers easily best team in the NBA

Grim Reaper
07-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Do you know salary cap???

I know. These kids just think teams can just keep on signing players. Once your over the salary cap which the Magic are the most they can offer is the MLE which is somewhere between 5.6 and 6 million. The Lakers can offer Odom the same exact contract. The only way he will leave is if Portland or some other team under the salary cap give him a 5 year 50 million dollar deal like Turkoglu got and, I think there's a few teams out there that just might give him that type of money. No way he denies the Lakers mid level exception to accept the Magics mid level exception. It's confusing but you guys need to learn the rules.

NBAdyNASTY
07-07-2009, 07:50 PM
And who did better this post-season? (stats wise)

KG, Perk, Pierce, and Rondo are no slouches on Defense ether

neither is sheed. With the Celtics getting Sheed, the Magic grabbing Vince, and the Cavs getting Shaq. No, i really dont see a repeat, they will fall into line and not repeat, just like every other winner since '02

but in a game that requires chemistry....how will these large egos mesh together?

i also agree, stop whining. We didnt win. Get over it. Just wait till next year :D

And who was that repeat champion???:D
Not whinning. We don't need to wait. WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS. YOU ARE THE CHUMPIONS.
Sheed is old. You are guys were built for ONE championship. Be happy with it, cuz that's all you're getting.

NBAdyNASTY
07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Even? :laugh: The Celtics and Lakers met in the NBA finals 11 times and Boston has won 9 times and the Lakers only won twice. It's not even close to even and the only way the Lakers can get revenge for that 40 point beatdown in game 6 is to sweep the Celtics in next seasons finals or beat them by 40.

Oh shut up. Boston did their damage in the 60's and you probably weren't even alive. Now back to the present. Who is champion this year?????

Mr. NBA
07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
guys it's amazing that all this fighting in here between who is better is so premature.

The Celtics, Magic, Spurs and Lakers all have championship experience and if you would so just forget about the talent on these teams and think about championship experience it would be so much better.

As far as championship experience goes I'd say the Lakers because, Kobe and Fisher have been there a trillion times and the rest of the team like once. But if you look at Boston and the Magic they have also been there once.

with that being said, now they have added talent to their so called roster and it seems these teams all have upgraded.

As far as that is concerned who looks best on paper?
Personally I think the Boston Celtics look best on paper right now. Their formidable big three plus a wallace make them very loose especially on offense and defense. as far as chemistry and clicking on chemistry, it is boston no doubt.

the Magic probaby would be next as far as clicking on chemistry is concerned on paper. Then the Lakers.

so if you mix all this up with experience and chemistry, it would no doubt have to be the Celtics at top then the Lakers and then the Magic or Spurs.

but these teams are not off by that much. So really it's anybody's championship next year.

NBAdyNASTY
07-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Obviously that's a matter of opinion...:laugh:
It's obvious Boston fans are scared right now. You should be.

NBAdyNASTY
07-07-2009, 08:02 PM
guys it's amazing that all this fighting in here between who is better is so premature.

The Celtics, Magic, Spurs and Lakers all have championship experience and if you would so just forget about the talent on these teams and think about championship experience it would be so much better.

As far as championship experience goes I'd say the Lakers because, Kobe and Fisher have been there a trillion times and the rest of the team like once. But if you look at Boston and the Magic they have also been there once.

with that being said, now they have added talent to their so called roster and it seems these teams all have upgraded.

As far as that is concerned who looks best on paper?
Personally I think the Boston Celtics look best on paper right now. Their formidable big three plus a wallace make them very loose especially on offense and defense. as far as chemistry and clicking on chemistry, it is boston no doubt.

the Magic probaby would be next as far as clicking on chemistry is concerned on paper. Then the Lakers.

so if you mix all this up with experience and chemistry, it would no doubt have to be the Celtics at top then the Lakers and then the Magic or Spurs.

but these teams are not off by that much. So really it's anybody's championship next year.

OH....thank you thank you!
We needed your expert opinion!
LAME.

IBleedPurple
07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
From a Nuggets perspective, I think we're back out of being mentioned with the elite teams.

LA looks the best to me. I think adding Artest helps them more than getting Sheed helped Boston. And Cleveland isn't that much better IMO.

Mr. NBA
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
some of you in here mentioned that a Gasol and Bynum playing together isn't that great.

Personally I agree with you. These two cannot "CO-EXIST" together in the starting lineup.

Which means Pau Gasol isn't really THAT great at Power Forward. He's a great player and a great talent, but PF isn't his position, Just like Lamar Odom isn't great at SF. Lamar is definitely a 4 and Pau Gasol is definitely a 5.

No wonder why LO flourishes at the 4 and Gasol at the 5.
But as mediocre as Pau is at the 4, he did a great job in both the 4 and 5 last year. It really looked amazing.

X12Celtics3
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I wish I could find a forum with civil, mature arguments...

promixxer
07-07-2009, 08:15 PM

It's called Sarcasm. If you were going to bring up the past then I thought I would also. Stop looking at the past and look forward. If we do that lets talk about the shaq days and the celtics. lets talk about stats in the finals this year. Ohhh wait, you were on vacation. Sorry man, my bad.

I think our revenge was sweeping the season series and watching you go home early like you did the last 20+ years. you can't win one in the last 20 years and connect yourselfs to those other teams. I think that Bird, Red, Russell would not have thought one was enough. Im sure they would not brag about one. But if that's all you have then so be it.

We win every decade. period. Do you?

tland22
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
of course they have the best scoring wings and PF combo in the NBA.... thats a stupid title to hold though. How bout they just have the best or 2nd to best roster in the NBA period...thats more like it.

I'd argue that New Orleans has the best PG, PF, and Center combo in the NBA...which they do, but it doesnt ,mean that much because they are in dire need of wing players.

itsripcity32
07-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Bynum sucks :(

Grim Reaper
07-07-2009, 08:38 PM
It's called Sarcasm. If you were going to bring up the past then I thought I would also. Stop looking at the past and look forward. If we do that lets talk about the shaq days and the celtics. lets talk about stats in the finals this year. Ohhh wait, you were on vacation. Sorry man, my bad.

I think our revenge was sweeping the season series and watching you go home early like you did the last 20+ years. you can't win one in the last 20 years and connect yourselfs to those other teams. I think that Bird, Red, Russell would not have thought one was enough. Im sure they would not brag about one. But if that's all you have then so be it.

Revenge for getting completely bullied and embarrased through the entire 6 game series and, to top it all off the Lakers lose game 6 by 39 points. You think 2 regulare season wins is revenge for that? :laugh: The Lakers were made look like fools in that series and the can never reverse what happen and never get revenge. They would have to meet up this season in the finals and manhandle the Celtics to even come close to getting revenge but, that won't happen because the Lakers have trouble with great defensive teams in the finals hence the Detroit Pistons and the Boston Celtics and the C's are gonna be even stronger defensively with Rasheed Wallace and Grant Hill coming off the bench. If you guys lose Odom to the Blazers you won't even make the finals guaranteed.

E.O.21
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
And so does Big Baby!

I would rather have big baby than ***** bynum. I dont seem to remember bynum hitting a game winning shot in the playoffs, as a matter of fact, i dont remember seeing bynum at all

Lakerfan In NY
07-07-2009, 09:24 PM
AT THIS POINT-
W/O Odom I am saying

Artest>Odom+Ariza

SO..basically your saying that the stats show that Artest is better when he is the second option? & plays more relaxed when all the focus isn't on stopping him but is more effective when all the attention is on another person to score. Thank you for the bit of info. :clap:
Funny how all you guys talk about Artest only as a bad thing, but Sheed to boston, is basically a championship guarntee. You like stat. R. Wallace average 6pt & 6reb. but that's the super sub that pushs boston to the final?...Hmmm. You laker haters are funny. you should try to judge other teams the way you judge the Lakers & see who comes up better.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
SO..basically your saying that the stats show that Artest is better when he is the second option? & plays more relaxed when all the focus isn't on stopping him but is more effective when all the attention is on another person to score. Thank you for the bit of info. :clap:
Funny how all you guys talk about Artest only as a bad thing, but Sheed to boston, is basically a championship guarntee. You like stat. R. Wallace average 6pt & 6reb. but that's the super sub that pushs boston to the final?...Hmmm. You laker haters are funny. you should try to judge other teams the way you judge the Lakers & see who comes up better.

well, Boston signed Wallace without losing anything. The Lakers signed Artest, and lost Trevor. THere is a big difference. Boston needed that as well, frontcourt depth. There really is no comparison.
People do judge the Lakers fairly on this board. Laker fans, at least a few of them here, tend not to offer that to other teams. It goes both ways, trust me.
Artest doesn't fit the triangle with his style. Now, that could easily change if he is willing to blend in. Wallace fits the Celtics style. It is a better signing. THere is no debate really.
We will see in time

Reyes6
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't understand why Laker fans just ASSUME that Odom will return? Like their MLE is better than another team offering a big contract.

UNTIL ODOM SIGNS YOU CAN'T CLAIM TO HAVE *******! You have the worst bench in the NBA as of right now and have a 3-point chucker in Artest. Artest went to Houston to try and win a title and chucked up shots even when the Rockets were doing well, who's to stop him from doing it in LA? A player like him won't re-learn the game of basketball. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can try to put a leash on the animal.

If it works out congrats, but stop claiming about LO UNTIL YOU GET HIM! They lose him and they lose the #1 seed in the West.

Reyes6
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
And I asked for statistics, rather I just get Laker BS of how you all want to buttf*** each other until kingdom come.

Sportfan
07-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Artest is going to lower his numbers with kobe playing with them

lorenz00
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Yea, but you're talking about Kobe and Artest defending the perimeter. You're talking about a former DPOY and a perennial All-NBA Defensive 1st Team player.

You're talking about a frontcourt duo that held Dwight Howard to well below his season and post-season scoring averages. A duo that is a combination of size and length.

The Lakers are going to be formidable in both offense and defense... that's a given. I don't care whose averages drop, the scoring will be there.

yeeee boy... good point

lakers FTW

Dwight_is_King
07-08-2009, 12:24 AM
I know. These kids just think teams can just keep on signing players. Once your over the salary cap which the Magic are the most they can offer is the MLE which is somewhere between 5.6 and 6 million. The Lakers can offer Odom the same exact contract. The only way he will leave is if Portland or some other team under the salary cap give him a 5 year 50 million dollar deal like Turkoglu got and, I think there's a few teams out there that just might give him that type of money. No way he denies the Lakers mid level exception to accept the Magics mid level exception. It's confusing but you guys need to learn the rules.

as someone else stated - IS THE LAKERS MLE BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE'S?? also orlando can offer odom a starting role and reunite him with Stan Van Gundy. and if that's not enough... remember he'll be playing along side the CURRENT dominant center in the NBA. and if he wants a bigger contract there's always the possibility of a sign a trade. so don't go around calling people "kids that think teams can just keep on signing players". you don't know me

JuiceDaddyNYY
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
It doesn't matter who's stats drop in LA. The only thing that matters are Championships. They are the best team in the league right now. 1. Because the title is ours. 2. Because, no matter who the Celtics, Spurs and Magic add- they don't have Kobe. 3. The best available player came to us. 4. The center with the most upside not named Dwight Howard plays for us. 5. The best coach in the league coaches us. 6. Everyone not following LAL HATES us, and that HATE fuels us. (So who's finishing second?...discuss amongst yourselves.)

tland22
07-08-2009, 12:53 AM
of course they have the best scoring wings and PF combo in the NBA.... thats a stupid title to hold though. How bout they just have the best or 2nd to best roster in the NBA period...thats more like it.

I'd argue that New Orleans has the best PG, PF, and Center combo in the NBA...which they do, but it doesnt ,mean that much because they are in dire need of wing players.

DCB/LAL
07-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Revenge for getting completely bullied and embarrased through the entire 6 game series and, to top it all off the Lakers lose game 6 by 39 points. You think 2 regulare season wins is revenge for that? :laugh: The Lakers were made look like fools in that series and the can never reverse what happen and never get revenge. They would have to meet up this season in the finals and manhandle the Celtics to even come close to getting revenge but, that won't happen because the Lakers have trouble with great defensive teams in the finals hence the Detroit Pistons and the Boston Celtics and the C's are gonna be even stronger defensively with Rasheed Wallace and Grant Hill coming off the bench. If you guys lose Odom to the Blazers you won't even make the finals guaranteed.

Yeah what your point we beat the rockets by 40 and they still made it a seven game series so getting blown out does happen no biggie though and as far as revenge?? Well i feel its better this way dont get me wrong while it would of been great to have beaten Boston in the finals im loving how you guys cant get over the fact that your team couldn't get to the finals and think of this while you guys are good now wait a couple years when you lose your big 3 and go back to rebuilding and go to hibernation mode for another oh IDK 20 years and all you'll hear on ESPN is how its another year of them(THE LAKERS) beeing the favorites ONCE AGAIN TO WIN THE TITLE!!! Till then dont forget LA LAKERS 2009 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!!!:D

evadatam5150
07-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Are you kidding me, Pierce is a complete Puss.. Wheel him out and give him an Oscar.. And yes sure there's always guys out there that can work through tough defense but Now Kobe wont have to work so hard on defense which will hopefully keep him fresh throughout the season.. The other thing you have to remember is that sometimes tough defense isn't all about keeping your opponent from scoring but making them work harder to get their shots off.. Scorers will always find a way to score, but the harder they have to perform on offense the less they work on defense..

Pierce... LMAO.. :speechless:

DoubleDragon
07-08-2009, 01:10 AM

Why don't we talk about this year (it's 2009)
We ARE the reigning champions, whether you figure one blow-out game last year takes that away...ughhh sorry sport. The NBA has only ONE champion this year.
THE LAKERS

Now good luck with those sour grapes. Too bad you won't be there in the Finals next year against us. We WILL defend our championship. BTW sports genius. Lets talk about the last decade shall we. Lakers=4 CHAMPIONSHIPS and 6 Finals appearances. How many for the Celts?:cricket::cricket::cricket:
Yeah....ONE.
Your logic is outstanding.

evadatam5150
07-08-2009, 01:14 AM

Just remember this... Scoreboard BYTCH...!! What did your team win in 09..?? That's right, nothing...!!!

desertlakeshow
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
The Lakers are the NBA champs. Until someone beats them they are the favorites.

Odom will resign with the Lakers. The Lakers can go above the cap to resign him (not just the MLE)

I do think the Alcoholics in green are the best team in the east on paper. I have not read anyone questioning KGs knee. He did just have season ending surgery.

Any reports on his drunk knee.

Any drunkard have any news.

Any drunkard have any comments on KGS jacked up Knee.

I do not give a rats ***** about the finals two years ago. If it is revelant than so is KGs drunk wobbly knee.

Good luck to the rest of the league, Minus you smelly green nasty cheap bear drinking slackers.

Mile High Champ
07-08-2009, 01:20 AM
If Odom walks, how are the lakers a better team? I just don't see it.

jrosborn
07-08-2009, 01:34 AM
this is a joke. ya they are good but seriously get off the lakers the tip. bynum is overrated and so is artest. look at what he did in the finals....... choked. dont flatter yourself. odom, gasol, and bryant are some of the best in the nba but bynum needs to prove his toughness and mid range shot and artest NEEDS to prove his veteran gameplay and tenacity.

DCB/LAL
07-08-2009, 01:46 AM
this is a joke. ya they are good but seriously get off the lakers the tip. bynum is overrated and so is artest. look at what he did in the finals....... choked. dont flatter yourself. odom, gasol, and bryant are some of the best in the nba but bynum needs to prove his toughness and mid range shot and artest NEEDS to prove his veteran gameplay and tenacity.

Ok whatever you say man but um.....remember LA LAKERS 2009 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!:clap:

Ripper Gein
07-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I wish I could find a forum with civil, mature arguments...

I AGREE!! celtic fans are the worst.

Ripper Gein
07-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Check and Mate:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

#1chickhearnfan
07-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Lakers are the team to beat until someone knocks them out!

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Sheed the guy averaged 12 pts a game and clearly was not the player he used to be.

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:07 AM
As for Artest choking in the finals, Really? Who did he have to help him do anything? Look at that whole Houston roster when Yao went down and your going to tell me he choked? I remember Labron choking in the Final game of their series where was he when Orlando went up 17 pts in Cleveland?

ko8e24
07-08-2009, 02:19 AM
lakers repeat. game, set, match!

#1chickhearnfan
07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
The Lakers are a mentally tough if not the toughest team in the league. All this crap about them not being a physical team the Lakers held dwight howard the DPY, a guy who manhandled Cleveland to one dunk the WHOLE SERIES, if you don't believe me check espn on stats, so don't question Bynum's toughness. If he plays D he could be as good as anybody. But i'm more impressed with Pau's mental toughness than anybody else's. That guy is a beast.

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:29 AM
I still think Orlando is the team to beat. vince is a better player then Hedo could ever think about being, and Boston has no one to stop D. Howard who will be one year older and better next season

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:30 AM
my last message should read Orlando is the team to beat in the East, clearly if the Lakers have no major injuries that affect their roster come playoffs I think they will easily win another championship

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Who would you rather have an old Sheed Wallace who is on the wrong side of 30 or Ron Artest a better athlete, defender, and scorer and is in his prime teamed with the best player in the world.

RISE ABOVE
07-08-2009, 02:42 AM
LA are the champions until someone else proves otherwise.

When you look at experience: (all the championships PJ, Kobe, & Fish have,)
plus raw talent... Right now I don't think anyone else matches up.

My prediction is Celtics in the East/maybe the Cavs.

Lakers/Portland/Spurs in the West. LA on top

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:51 AM
How many crucial free throws miss in the playoffs this year. Someone please tell me. It seemed everytime Boston had to go into OT or loss it's because Pierce choke on the line and bricked FTs

griffyatl
07-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Im still saying Orlando/ LA Lakers in the Finals Boston Sheed can't guard D.Howard

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
well, Boston signed Wallace without losing anything. The Lakers signed Artest, and lost Trevor. THere is a big difference. Boston needed that as well, frontcourt depth. There really is no comparison.
People do judge the Lakers fairly on this board. Laker fans, at least a few of them here, tend not to offer that to other teams. It goes both ways, trust me.
Artest doesn't fit the triangle with his style. Now, that could easily change if he is willing to blend in. Wallace fits the Celtics style. It is a better signing. THere is no debate really.
We will see in time

Didn't you lose Leon Powe? You maybe losing Big Baby. Didn't resign Marbury. That's what i am talking about. as of right now, you have Wallace, Scal, house, Is allen still hurt? if not Allen on your bench. Yeah your judge teams correct.

ematz1423
07-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I think San Antonio will be the best team in the league if everybody can stay healthy with their additions this off-season. If i had to guess right now I'd say it will be a San Antonio VS. Celtics finals with San Antonio winning.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Didn't you lose Leon Powe? You maybe losing Big Baby. Didn't resign Marbury. That's what i am talking about. as of right now, you have Wallace, Scal, house, Is allen still hurt? if not Allen on your bench. Yeah your judge teams correct.

well, first off, I am not a Celtics fan, let me make that clear, haha. I like basketball, and follow all teams.
I think Powe is supposed to miss some time if I am correct, Big Baby hasn't signed elsewhere yet, but he is a glorified role player, they can be found easily. Allen should be fine by season I believe. Point is, it doesn't matter how healthy you are when you start the season, as apparent by the Lakers walk thru the postseason with the Spurs and Celtics being hurt.
Marbury? haha. that dude is the biggest waste of talent in this generation. Everywhere he goes, they lose, so its probably a good thing he is gone

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't understand why Laker fans just ASSUME that Odom will return? Like their MLE is better than another team offering a big contract.

UNTIL ODOM SIGNS YOU CAN'T CLAIM TO HAVE *******! You have the worst bench in the NBA as of right now and have a 3-point chucker in Artest. Artest went to Houston to try and win a title and chucked up shots even when the Rockets were doing well, who's to stop him from doing it in LA? A player like him won't re-learn the game of basketball. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can try to put a leash on the animal.

If it works out congrats, but stop claiming about LO UNTIL YOU GET HIM! They lose him and they lose the #1 seed in the West.

Returning players don't need to be re-sign using the team MLE. That's for incoming FA. You can sign your own FA using whatever you want. I think it's known as the Larry bird right or something.

To answer your question Phil & Kobe. D Fisher (head of the players association)...hell Magic, the Cap, the NBA logo. You keep assuming that LA is the same organaztion like Sac & Houston, Indiana, & its NOT. LA history go back & Artest respect that. When he was in a smaller market, he was "a big fish in a small pond" Will that big fish just got traded to the pacific ocean. We have too much history, Banner, & legend for you to think that he's going to just come in & do whatever he wants. You all live in the past, Artest has been on his BEST behavior since the palace. But for some reason you assume, now that he's in LA he going to go crazy W/ all these HOF around him?

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Returning players don't need to be re-sign using the team MLE. That's for incoming FA. You can sign your own FA using whatever you want. I think it's known as the Larry bird right or something.

To answer your question Phil & Kobe. D Fisher (head of the players association)...hell Magic, the Cap, the NBA logo. You keep assuming that LA is the same organaztion like Sac & Houston, Indiana, & its NOT. LA history go back & Artest respect that. When he was in a smaller market, he was "a big fish in a small pond" Will that big fish just got traded to the pacific ocean. We have too much history, Banner, & legend for you to think that he's going to just come in & do whatever he wants. You all live in the past, Artest has been on his BEST behavior since the palace. But for some reason you assume, now that he's in LA he going to go crazy W/ all these HOF around him?

my beef with Artest is he isn't that good anymore. He will essentially provide you what Ariza did, less a little D, slightly better scoring, and some toughness. Doesn't do much to help or hurt the Lakers as far as I can tell.
And while Artest is a nutcase, Phil has proven the biggest reason he has 10 rings, is his ability to control nutcases, haha. That isn't something I would worry about too much.

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
well, first off, I am not a Celtics fan, let me make that clear, haha. I like basketball, and follow all teams.
I think Powe is supposed to miss some time if I am correct, Big Baby hasn't signed elsewhere yet, but he is a glorified role player, they can be found easily. Allen should be fine by season I believe. Point is, it doesn't matter how healthy you are when you start the season, as apparent by the Lakers walk thru the postseason with the Spurs and Celtics being hurt.
Marbury? haha. that dude is the biggest waste of talent in this generation. Everywhere he goes, they lose, so its probably a good thing he is gone

correction
they didn't pick up his option b/c of his torn ACL. Big Baby was a role player, but he was good enough to win them a playoff game & he's situation still has been addressed. Allen is still hurt. Marbury is a waste but who is the back-up PG now?
Point is all these "role players" are key to winning a chip & all but one has been replaced & you can debate Sheed & Powe at THIS POINT in there career. Which everyone keeps forgetting.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
correction
they didn't pick up his option b/c of his torn ACL. Big Baby was a role player, but he was good enough to win them a playoff game & he's situation still has been addressed. Allen is still hurt. Marbury is a waste but who is the back-up PG now?
Point is all these "role players" are key to winning a chip & all but one has been replaced & you can debate Sheed & Powe at THIS POINT in there career. Which everyone keeps forgetting.

Sheed is still far better than Powe.
And yes, role players are important to rings, but they are the replaceable ones. And as shown, they tend to flock to contenders. So I highly doubt Boston is worried about Big Baby, Marbury, or Powe, and more concerned with keeping KG, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, and Sheed in good health entering the playoffs.

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
my beef with Artest is he isn't that good anymore. He will essentially provide you what Ariza did, less a little D, slightly better scoring, and some toughness. Doesn't do much to help or hurt the Lakers as far as I can tell.
And while Artest is a nutcase, Phil has proven the biggest reason he has 10 rings, is his ability to control nutcases, haha. That isn't something I would worry about too much.

Here do this, Which i do to my friend who is the biggest Celtics fan. Ask yourself:
What is the weakness of the Lakers & Boston or any team & w/ the moves they made did they address them?

LA weakness: Doesn't play defense for 48 minutes. Lack toughness. Aren't as intense as there leader. Perimeter defense. Add to this & see how one player address alot... a la KG to boston. Forget numbers b/c they don't mean anything going onto a new team. It's how your STRENGTHS fit teh team dynamic. & for a team that isn't "tough" adding one crazy, tough, S.O.B isn't a bad thing.

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Sheed is still far better than Powe.
And yes, role players are important to rings, but they are the replaceable ones. And as shown, they tend to flock to contenders. So I highly doubt Boston is worried about Big Baby, Marbury, or Powe, and more concerned with keeping KG, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, and Sheed in good health entering the playoffs.

& minute watching...it will be interesting to see how Doc handles the minutes w/ no real back-up players. Hmmm.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Here do this, Which i do to my friend who is the biggest Celtics fan. Ask yourself:
What is the weakness of the Lakers & Boston or any team & w/ the moves they made did they address them?

LA weakness: Doesn't play defense for 48 minutes. Lack toughness. Aren't as intense as there leader. Perimeter defense. Add to this & see how one player address alot... a la KG to boston. Forget numbers b/c they don't mean anything going onto a new team. It's how your STRENGTHS fit teh team dynamic. & for a team that isn't "tough" adding one crazy, tough, S.O.B isn't a bad thing.

well Artest is no KG though, not even remotely close. Talking about a top 20 player ever vs Ron Ron. But yes, he interjects some toughness, I still think you are overestimating his current defensive ability though.
BUT, the Lakers didn't need anything. This may simply be for them not to get even more complacent than they already were. Either way, I think it doesn't help or hurt them. I could be wrong, its just my opinion.

bumblebee
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
this combo reminds me of back in the day with kobe karl gary and shaq. they all want to score and that doesnt work out. i think by adding artest is a good defensive help. but like what "NYtilIdie" said that artest can shoot you out of a game. i "think" just thinking that artest and kobe does love ball hogging and both would wanna score high since they're whole careers they have been scoring big. artest sorta. that they wouldnt have the right chemistry. thats what im guessing. i dont think kobe can handle a good premier scorer on his team. hes not a ray allen, paul pierce and kevin garnett, all 3 of them sacrificed their scoring average to win a championship. i dont think kobe can do the same. im just saying..

GCOOKIE7
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
this combo reminds me of back in the day with kobe karl gary and shaq. they all want to score and that doesnt work out. i think by adding artest is a good defensive help. but like what "NYtilIdie" said that artest can shoot you out of a game. i "think" just thinking that artest and kobe does love ball hogging and both would wanna score high since they're whole careers they have been scoring big. artest sorta. that they wouldnt have the right chemistry. thats what im guessing. i dont think kobe can handle a good premier scorer on his team. hes not a ray allen, paul pierce and kevin garnett, all 3 of them sacrificed their scoring average to win a championship. i dont think kobe can do the same. im just saying..

Are you talking KOBE KARL... or Kobe and Karl Malone?

jking

chuckdaily85
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
you guys are fools this makes the Lakers immediately better...Ron Artest is at a time in his life where he wants a ring..In Houston he had to jack up shots because he and Yao were the offense. In LA he doesnt have to shoot nearly as much and even if he does Bynum will still score off reb, Pau is Pau and he is good. The reason the C's beat LA in the Finals was b/c LA lacked toughness and had no one to match up with Paul Pierce. Artest addresses both needs. Basically he is a bigger better Trevor Ariza. They have somebody to match up with Pierce, Bron, Carter, Melo, Roy, Wade and whoever else. Its not about stopping those guys cause no one is going to STOP them. But its about making them work hard for every single point and thats what Artest brings to the table. Imagine how fresh Kobe legs are going to be when he doesnt have to D these guys anymore. In the Denver series he was exhausted because he was d'ing a bigger Melo and still carrying the offensive burden. Now thats on Artest's shoulders. Who's big enough to D Melo.

Reyes6
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
He may be big enough to D Melo, but is he quick enough?

Simply put my favorites out West are
Denver
San Antonio
Portland

Lakers showed they couldn't beat Portland when they had to play in Portland. Spurs have always been good against LA and added a huge addition with RJ, which most have been tending to overlook. Denver gets a FULL YEAR with Billups, so their record won't have to reflect a shoot-first PG like Iverson. Spurs added RJ and lost nothing. Denver got Birdman back and didn't lose anything. Portland adds another year of experience. Lakers have lost Ariza and may lose Odom but have added a head case in Artest... and they are better?

But logic isn't what we're here for... we're here to see how many bandwagon Laker accounts can be created within the course of a few days.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Denver
San Antonio
Portland

Lakers showed they couldn't beat Portland when they had to play in Portland. Spurs have always been good against LA and added a huge addition with RJ, which most have been tending to overlook. Denver gets a FULL YEAR with Billups, so their record won't have to reflect a shoot-first PG like Iverson. Spurs added RJ and lost nothing. Denver got Birdman back and didn't lose anything. Portland adds another year of experience. Lakers have lost Ariza and may lose Odom but have added a head case in Artest... and they are better?

But logic isn't what we're here for... we're here to see how many bandwagon Laker accounts can be created within the course of a few days.

I hate the Lakers too dude, but the list of contenders out west starts with LA. Cmon

MadBomber
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM

nice points, but this is a different offensive scheme with the triple post offense, they can put artest in the post position and abuse his defender down low. double team? no problem, kick it out to kobe, fisher, LO. if they double pau, bynum, kobe down low, frees up shooters for basically open j's. look at ariza's numbers and how efficient they were. I doubt his numbers will be that good in houston.

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Denver
San Antonio
Portland

So if the Bobcats make it to the finals we're finished. Cmom. RJ helped close the gap between the Spur & the rest of the west. Didn't the Spurs lose two players to get RJ one being there only perimeter defensive player? Did they re-sign Gooden Or Udoka Or Vanghn yet? Portland Cmom you're not serious. thats a heart pick.. portland LOL. 7-8 seed maybe.
What logic are you using? I hate the Lakers so everyone is better.
Look barging injury:
1. LA
2.Denver
3.Spurs
4-Utah
5-8: are toss-ups

Portland...You're a funny dude.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 01:23 PM
So if the Bobcats make it to the finals we're finished. Cmom. RJ helped close the gap between the Spur & the rest of the west. Didn't the Spurs lose two players to get RJ one being there only perimeter defensive player? Did they re-sign Gooden Or Udoka Or Vanghn yet? Portland Cmom you're not serious. thats a heart pick.. portland LOL. 7-8 seed maybe.
What logic are you using? I hate the Lakers so everyone is better.
Look barging injury:
1. LA
2.Denver
3.Spurs
4-Utah
5-8: are toss-ups

Portland...You're a funny dude.

Didn't Orlando smack the Lakers down twice last season? and then.....
Portland should be a contender, ahead of Utah I think.
But yeah, I always say regular season doesn't mean anything, then get ran on, and the Lakers beat the magic anyways, despite going 0-2 against them regular season.

Zefflin
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Spurs added RJ and lost nothing.

Bowen, Kurt and Oberto? Yeah you're right no defence lost there...

Didn't Orlando smack the Lakers down twice last season?

But yeah, I always say regular season doesn't mean anything, then get ran on, and the Lakers beat the magic anyways, despite going 0-2 against them regular season.

:eyebrow:

I was gonna say man...did you watch the Finals?

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Bowen, Kurt and Oberto? Yeah you're right no defence lost there...

:eyebrow:

I was gonna say man...did you watch the Finals?

?? what are you talking about?

Zefflin
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Well first I'm talking to some other guy about the Spurs getting RJ and losing "nothing."

Then you brought up what Orlando did to LA in the regular season... I was just making sure you watched the finals is all. ;)

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Well first I'm talking to some other guy about the Spurs getting RJ and losing "nothing."

Then you brought up what Orlando did to LA in the regular season... I was just making sure you watched the finals is all. ;)

oh, haha, nah, you missed my point. It was a poster saying that LA can't win on Portlands court, and blah, blah, blah. Regular season doesn't matter. Orlando beat LA twice in the regular season, and we saw how important that ended up being. That was all.
trust me dude, you are one of the LA fans that is reasonable, I am not getting into an argument with the few that I get along with, haha

Zefflin
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
oh, haha, nah, you missed my point. trust me dude, you are one of the LA fans that is reasonable, I am not getting into an argument with the few that I get along with, haha

Oh alright I got you...and thank you for that dispay of kindness.

Lakerfan In NY
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Didn't Orlando smack the Lakers down twice last season? and then.....
Portland should be a contender, ahead of Utah I think.

Utah is still a soild team & they haven't lost anyone yet. They had alot on injuries. They are the sleeper team out west. W/ an All star PG & PF. Good C. Shooters & HOF coach & bench. One could put them ahead of the Spurs. I like Portland but you guys are giving them way too much credit. There a good team at Rose Garden, but can't win on the road. they are going to be in a fight w/ the rest of the teams out west.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Utah is still a soild team & they haven't lost anyone yet. They had alot on injuries. They are the sleeper team out west. W/ an All star PG & PF. Good C. Shooters & HOF coach & bench. One could put them ahead of the Spurs. I like Portland but you guys are giving them way too much credit. There a good team at Rose Garden, but can't win on the road. they are going to be in a fight w/ the rest of the teams out west.

my problem with Utah, is they have been the sleeper team the last 2 years, and they are basically the same thing. Ridic at home, crap on the road. I can't look at them as a threat until they can win a road game.
I think Portland takes another step this year. I am not willing to concede them as contenders really, they haven't gone far enough in the west playoffs to have the experience. But they are on the cusp.