PDA

View Full Version : Will the Lakers repeat with Artest?

mrblisterdundee
07-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Him and Kobe are going to be the best shooting guard/small forward combination in the league. They're a lesser version of Jordan and Pippen. Considering the Lakers only improved from Trevor Ariza and were already champions this last season, will they repeat?

superkegger
07-05-2009, 11:08 PM
It's a definite maybe.

ink
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
lol

camador22
07-05-2009, 11:14 PM
They'll definately repeat if they sign Odom. If not then I doubt they will.

Ripper Gein
07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
lol

SEE even ink laughs at the notion that they Wont repeat!!!

VCaintdead17
07-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Odom will once again play a huge factor in the playoffs. Also, they have a new issue to deal with that was not a problem before, chemistry. It will be interesting to see how Ron Artest adjusts to the triangle offense and if he can co-exsist with Pau and Kobe. Not to mention his colorful past.

Kyben36
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Personal opinion, I feel like Artest is going to separate that team, and it will end up blowing up in their faces. Im not trying to piss anyone off, but its the way I feel. If it does work out they will win another title, but like I said if it works out, I also am not a fan of the Crawford trade with the Hawks,

JordansBulls
07-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Him and Kobe are going to be the best shooting guard/small forward combination in the league. They're a lesser version of Jordan and Pippen. Considering the Lakers only improved from Trevor Ariza and were already champions this last season, will they repeat?

Are they better than Ray and Pierce?

Regarding the question, they have a chance of course. Any defending champion has a chance to repeat.

IndiansFan337
07-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't think so. They are a very good team, but the top teams in the league continue to separate themselves from the mediocre teams. Cleveland, SAS, Boston & Orlando have all made big moves already this summer. I expect the ECF & WCF to both be amazing series next season.

superkegger
07-05-2009, 11:29 PM

Regarding the question, they have a chance of course. Any defending champion has a chance to repeat.

Yes to your first question.

And your second statement is wrong.

This team [ click here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1999.html) ] had zero chance of repeating.

goku
07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Odom will once again play a huge factor in the playoffs. Also, they have a new issue to deal with that was not a problem before, chemistry. It will be interesting to see how Ron Artest adjusts to the triangle offense and if he can co-exsist with Pau and Kobe. Not to mention his colorful past.

exactly it all depends on how fast they get the chemistry thing workin now they have to know wat artest likes to do spots he like to be in and and same for artest he have to now players strengths and weakness most teams dont make major moves after winning a title they make small ones keeping that same group in tact so it all depends on how well they get to know each other and get along in artest case if all that happens they are clear to repeat

i remember something like this happening to us we got barkley after we repeated and with the dream,drexler and barkely i thought they would win it all again but lost in the wcf so its never a lock with big additions

KB24PG16
07-05-2009, 11:32 PM
they have a good chance its too earlier to tell if they will repeat theres always injuries and other teams get better

Kyben36
07-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Yes to your first question.

And your second statement is wrong.

This team [ click here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1999.html) ] had zero chance of repeating.

Yes, that is an exception, but if KG and Peirce disapeared after their championship run, they wouldnt have a chance either.

Hellcrooner
07-05-2009, 11:55 PM
maybe they are the poorer mj and pipp but odom and bynum are the muc richer version of kukoc and Longley.

And that not counring Pau as the multimillionaire version of Will perdue :D

LakeShowRaider
07-05-2009, 11:58 PM
maybe they are the poorer mj and pipp but odom and bynum are the muc richer version of kukoc and Longley.

And that not counring Pau as the multimillionaire version of Will perdue :D

LOL! I don't agree with the first part but the second part and third cracked me up! hhaha

b_rad23
07-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I see one of the Spurs, Celtics, Cavs or Magic taking it next year.

They have a decent shot though.

Grim Reaper
07-06-2009, 12:09 AM
No. Losing Ariza is bigger than laker fans realize yet and the Spurs got better and the Nuggets will be better next year not to mention the Cavs and Celtics are adding pieces to their teams as well. They won't repeat. Might make it to the finals but, won't repeat. Artest didn't even have that good of a season last year. He had a good playoffs but was basically a bust during the season. IMO they were better with Ariza.

yanksknicksgmen
07-06-2009, 12:17 AM
no

SouljahPhil...
07-06-2009, 12:46 AM
too early to argue with anybody here..

Catfish1314
07-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Not without Odom.

MajorFloridaFan
07-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Most of you are wrong the statistical chance of three straight Nba finals is incredibly high....he might not mesh well or throw out the chemistry...Ariza complimented artest is a headcase

#1Mavericksfan
07-06-2009, 01:40 AM
No...there gonna miss Ariza and Kobe and Ron Artest on the same team is gonna be must watch T.V.

gswlal
07-06-2009, 01:45 AM
this is like asking what would u rather eat doggy crap or pizza!!

Cmon close this thread lol jk haha
administrators dont taake this serious its a joke!!

JM09
07-06-2009, 01:46 AM
only if david stern says they will

gswlal
07-06-2009, 01:50 AM
haha lol ^

Vinny642
07-06-2009, 01:52 AM
o geez i hope not

DCB/LAL
07-06-2009, 01:52 AM
only if david stern says they will

hahaha:laugh:

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Personal opinion, I feel like Artest is going to separate that team, and it will end up blowing up in their faces. Im not trying to piss anyone off, but its the way I feel. If it does work out they will win another title, but like I said if it works out, I also am not a fan of the Crawford trade with the Hawks,

:laugh: Artest was at his best behavior when he respected the coach. The dude straight up adores Phil Jackson. There will not be any behavior problems.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Quite possibly. They have the best chance of winning next year. Barring injuries, the Lakers will probably win the title next year consider that they are better offensively (space the floor better; have an extra playmaker, which takes care of their only weaknesses) and are much better defensively (add a tough player and enforcer; have a DPOY caliber shutdown player who doesn't have to focus on offense).

GrandDaddyPurp
07-06-2009, 02:46 AM
if stern wants them to, then yes.

Vinny642
07-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Quite possibly. They have the best chance of winning next year. Barring injuries, the Lakers will probably win the title next year consider that they are better offensively (space the floor better; have an extra playmaker, which takes care of their only weaknesses) and are much better defensively (add a tough player and enforcer; have a DPOY caliber shutdown player who doesn't have to focus on offense).

Chances doesnt mean anything, one injury then your chances arent the greatest.

#1Mavericksfan
07-06-2009, 03:06 AM

Nah man...Stern wants to crown Lebron as champ I bet he's still mad he couldn't do this past season.

Rhino
07-06-2009, 03:07 AM
No. Do you guys actually believe that the first time Kobe starts yapping at Artest he will just meekly follow suit, like all the rest of the Kobe ball lickers on that team. Artest is his own worst enemy really it all depends on how much Artest wants a ring. I love the comments if Stern wants them to then they will frickin hillarious.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:10 AM

:eyebrow:

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Chances doesnt mean anything, one injury then your chances arent the greatest.

And...?

Any and every team can get injuries. In fact, the Spurs and Celtics chances hinge on players returning from injury.

I wrote in my post, "barring injuries." What is the point of your comment exactly?

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:14 AM
No. Do you guys actually believe that the first time Kobe starts yapping at Artest he will just meekly follow suit, like all the rest of the Kobe ball lickers on that team. Artest is his own worst enemy really it all depends on how much Artest wants a ring. I love the comments if Stern wants them to then they will frickin hillarious.

Artest really likes Kobe and respects him. Watch the interview that Artest did of Kobe for Best Damn. Artest couldn't stop gushing over Kobe. In fact, they made fun of him for awhile because Artest seemed googly eyed in Kobe's presence. Not to mention that Artest straight up adores Phil Jackson.

Artest took less money to go to LA. He wants a ring really bad.

Vinny642
07-06-2009, 03:15 AM
And...?

Any and every team can get injuries. In fact, the Spurs and Celtics chances hinge on players returning from injury.

I wrote in my post, "barring injuries." What is the point of your comment exactly?

I only read you said u had the greatest chance.
My point is chances doesn't mean ****

Rhino
07-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Artest really likes Kobe and respects him. Watch the interview that Artest did of Kobe for Best Damn. Artest couldn't stop gushing over Kobe. In fact, they made fun of him for awhile because Artest seemed googly eyed in Kobe's presence. Not to mention that Artest straight up adores Phil Jackson.

Artest took less money to go to LA. He wants a ring really bad.

Are you trying to convince me or yourself? I've seen the interveiw and its easy to be happy and spew half formed words out before the pressure is on. Wait until Artest takes 5 or 6 ill advised shots in a row, and Kobe has to put him in his place then you'll know for sure. Will Artest listen and learn or will he revert back to his old ways. I do agree with you Artest must want that ring very badly to sign with LA. The question is will he behave enough to help his team win it again or not? I just don't see it happening Kobe is on his own level where as Artest believes he is also on that level too. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:30 AM
I only read you said u had the greatest chance.
My point is chances doesn't mean ****

And...?

This is a forum and we are discussing the teams chances of winning. Nobody knows for sure unless you happen to know Doc Brown and own a DeLorean. We are here to post our opinion on how we think teams will fit, have success, etc. All of that is based on their personnel. By studying a teams personnel while comparing their roster to others, we can only estimate which team has the greatest chance to accomplish a feat as we do not know for sure.

69centers
07-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Lakers - Trevor Ariza + Ron Artest < Celtics + Rasheed Wallace + Grant Hill + healthy KG =

Hell no!

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Are you trying to convince me or yourself? I've seen the interveiw and its easy to be happy and spew half formed words out before the pressure is on. Wait until Artest takes 5 or 6 ill advised shots in a row, and Kobe has to put him in his place then you'll know for sure. Will Artest listen and learn or will he revert back to his old ways. I do agree with you Artest must want that ring very badly to sign with LA. The question is will he behave enough to help his team win it again or not? I just don't see it happening Kobe is on his own level where as Artest believes he is also on that level too. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Old ways? Artest shot bad shots because of his role. He was forced to be a playmaker more often. Now, he is in a structured system (the TPO), which will force him to play within the offense. The chemistry won't be a problem. If and when he takes bad shots (because it happens to everybody), it won't be a problem as Phil Jackson will further explain their goals. Artest simply adores Jackson and respects him. He will fall in line to what he says.

BTW--The opportunity won't be there to take 5 or 6 bad shots in a row. The Lakers have too many weapons in Kobe and Pau for him to do that. The defense dictates their next cut and pass. Artest will be there to space the floor offensively (he is the shutdown player defensively). The offensive movement and weapons that the Lakers have will make for better shots for everyone really.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Lakers - Trevor Ariza + Ron Artest < Celtics + Rasheed Wallace + Grant Hill + healthy KG =

Hell no!

An old Wallace and Grant Hill are better than Artest? :laugh:

BTW--I am not including KG there. He was on your team this past season when the Lakers swept the Celtics in the regular season.

BoltLakerPadre
07-06-2009, 03:40 AM
The question is, do they still have the desire. I know Kobe does, and Artest should. But what about Gasol, and Odom and Bynum?

Trouble87
07-06-2009, 03:42 AM
I voted no cause I'm not sure if 'The Candyman' Lamar Odom is coming back

horry1ur
07-06-2009, 03:44 AM
No. Losing Ariza is bigger than laker fans realize yet and the Spurs got better and the Nuggets will be better next year not to mention the Cavs and Celtics are adding pieces to their teams as well. They won't repeat. Might make it to the finals but, won't repeat. Artest didn't even have that good of a season last year. He had a good playoffs but was basically a bust during the season. IMO they were better with Ariza.

News Flash: Playoffs is where it counts.
Players can be good as they want in the season but if they dont show up in the playoffs then the whole season was a wash. Therefore Artest "sucked" in the season but was beast in the playoffs I dont know about you but I would take that kind of player any day of the week. Also I forgot to mention( I know people are going to say "Dont you have to be good in the season to get to the playoffs."
Well check this out:http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ron_artest/career_stats.html its Artest statline for the season I do not not call that a bust.(Check out the 08-09 Season Stats if you dont know.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:45 AM
The question is, do they still have the desire. I know Kobe does, and Artest should. But what about Gasol, and Odom and Bynum?

Gasol and Bynum definitely do. Gasol has a great desire because he always seems to have the monkey on his back as he is still criticized for being "soft." Bynum has an even bigger desire because he didn't play particularly well in the playoffs. Bynum knows his potential and truly wants to be great. He is continuously trying to add most aspects to his game and said in an interview after the Lakers won the championship that he couldn't wait to start dominating and winning a championship as the driving force of the Lakers.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:45 AM

Not at all.

Rhino
07-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Old ways? Artest shot bad shots because of his role. He was forced to be a playmaker more often. Now, he is in a structured system (the TPO), which will force him to play within the offense. The chemistry won't be a problem. If and when he takes bad shots (because it happens to everybody), it won't be a problem as Phil Jackson will further explain their goals. Artest simply adores Jackson and respects him. He will fall in line to what he says.

BTW--The opportunity won't be there to take 5 or 6 bad shots in a row. The Lakers have too many weapons in Kobe and Pau for him to do that. The defense dictates their next cut and pass. Artest will be there to space the floor offensively (he is the shutdown player defensively). The offensive movement and weapons that the Lakers have will make for better shots for everyone really.

Artest shot bad shots not because he was forced to but because he decided it was best for the team that he do so. Instead of feeding the ball into Yao, or pass it to a wide open wingman he decided to take the shot many, many, many times. Most of the time he would do so in the 4th quarter when the team needed him to make the intelligent decisions the most he chose a different route. I'm not sure how many games you actually watched him play, but I can see you have a way different veiw of his on the court decision making ability then I do. You guys have a great system and for the most part perfect players for said system. I just don't understand why you would add Artest to the mix other then specifically for his defensive ablility. Hopefully you can convince him that the only reason he is there is to play tight D.

horry1ur
07-06-2009, 03:57 AM

Hell no!

A Hungry Ron Artest> Trevor Ariza IMO
Also you guys sure you guys have Grant Hill in the bag?
Or is he going to pull a Hedo? haha.

Also Lakers have the best player and when you have the best player then you dont have to worry about a damn thing.

ggg
07-06-2009, 03:58 AM
I think portland still is something LA should watch. If they take them for granted, it might cost them the championship this time. Portland got a solid team led by a reincarnation version of mitch richmond and a softer version of rasheed wallace.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Artest shot bad shots not because he was forced to but because he decided it was best for the team that he do so. Instead of feeding the ball into Yao, or pass it to a wide open wingman he decided to take the shot many, many, many times. Most of the time he would do so in the 4th quarter when the team needed him to make the intelligent decisions the most he chose a different route. I'm not sure how many games you actually watched him play, but I can see you have a way different veiw of his on the court decision making ability then I do. You guys have a great system and for the most part perfect players for said system. I just don't understand why you would add Artest to the mix other then specifically for his defensive ablility. Hopefully you can convince him that the only reason he is there is to play tight D.

Every Rocket player couldn't get the ball into Yao during crunch. Not just Artest. That was for a few reasons.

1. Stamina. The stamina of Yao actually. Yao got extremely tired during the end of games and naturally had a harder time posting up because he didn't have the same strength and will as did when he was fresh.

2. Fronting. Teams would front and double Yao. The Rockets, including Artest, had a hard time feeding him the ball.

I watched the Rockets a few times this year (maybe 16-20 games) and this seemed to be the case nearly every single time. It was more of a team problem than an Artest problem. Artest was just the cop out to take the perimeter shot.

With the Lakers system, it won't be hard for Artest to spot an open man or be open himself. I expect him to take a couple bad shots when he is leading the 2nd unit (while Kobe/Gasol rests), but that is only natural. Kobe takes bad shots as well. Every star player does in fact. It won't be a problem because, truthfully, Ariza took a lot of bad shots too. In fact, there was a 15+ page thread about him taking bad shots on another Laker forum during the end of the regular season. Ariza was starting to shoot a lot more three rather than driving to the basket. I know Artest won't have that problem and I know Jackson will instill the TPO in him quite nicely.

Artest will do fine IMO as I do believe Mitch and Phil have already explained his role as the defensive stopper. I also believe he will still have his opportunity to score as well (maybe in the 14 PPG area).

Rhino
07-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Every Rocket player couldn't get the ball into Yao during crunch. Not just Artest. That was for a few reasons.

1. Stamina. The stamina of Yao actually. Yao got extremely tired during the end of games and naturally had a harder time posting up because he didn't have the same strength and will as did when he was fresh.

2. Fronting. Teams would front and double Yao. The Rockets, including Artest, had a hard time feeding him the ball.

I watched the Rockets a few times this year (maybe 16-20 games) and this seemed to be the case nearly every single time. It was more of a team problem than an Artest problem. Artest was just the cop out to take the perimeter shot.

With the Lakers system, it won't be hard for Artest to spot an open man or be open himself. I expect him to take a couple bad shots when he is leading the 2nd unit (while Kobe/Gasol rests), but that is only natural. Kobe takes bad shots as well. Every star player does in fact. It won't be a problem because, truthfully, Ariza took a lot of bad shots too. In fact, there was a 15+ page thread about him taking bad shots on another Laker forum during the end of the regular season. Ariza was starting to shoot a lot more three rather than driving to the basket. I know Artest won't have that problem and I know Jackson will instill the TPO in him quite nicely.

Artest will do fine IMO as I do believe Mitch and Phil have already explained his role as the defensive stopper. I also believe he will still have his opportunity to score as well (maybe in the 14 PPG area).

Look you have your opinion and I have mine. Your not going to convince me and I won't convince you which is fine with me. I already said you must have a way different veiw on how Artest's decision making ability during games compared to my own is, which is also fine by me. I've said it before and I'll say it again Artest really believes he is on the same level as Kobe and when and if he reverts back to that level of thinking your team will wish it had never made the decision to sign him. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

S.J.Basketball
07-06-2009, 04:15 AM
The Lakers are a guarantee for the Western Conference Finals. Will they pass that and go to the Finals for a 3rd straight year in a row and become Champs again? They have a good chance that's for sure. I think they can do it.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 04:16 AM
Look you have your opinion and I have mine. Your not going to convince me and I won't convince you which is fine with me. I already said you must have a way different veiw on how Artest's decision making ability during games compared to my own is, which is also fine by me. I've said it before and I'll say it again Artest really believes he is on the same level as Kobe and when and if he reverts back to that level of thinking your team will wish it had never made the decision to sign him. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

K. I'll stick by Mitch, Buss, Magic, Phil, and Kobe who all met/talked with Ron to discuss his future with the team and role. I'm sure they discussed and agreed on Artest's role on the team. :D

Rhino
07-06-2009, 04:20 AM
The Lakers are a guarantee for the Western Conference Finals. Will they pass that and go to the Finals for a 3rd straight year in a row and become Champs again? They have a good chance that's for sure. I think they can do it.

No team is a guarantee to make the WCF in the west and to make such a statement is just plain dumb.

Rhino
07-06-2009, 04:22 AM
K. I'll stick by Mitch, Buss, Magic, Phil, and Kobe who all met/talked with Ron to discuss his future with the team and role. I'm sure they discussed and agreed on Artest's role on the team. :D

Ok and have fun sticking with that I'm sure everything will work out as planned like it always does :smoking:

Iron24th
07-06-2009, 04:26 AM
We're in very good position to repeat,I like our chances.

Iron24th
07-06-2009, 04:30 AM

You kidding? Right?

Kobe himself is better than both,of course Kobe and Artest are far better combo than pierce and allen.

Gro_Da_Fro_Back
07-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Ok and have fun sticking with that I'm sure everything will work out as planned like it always does :smoking:

We won the chip last year...:confused:

S.J.Basketball
07-06-2009, 04:38 AM
No team is a guarantee to make the WCF in the west and to make such a statement is just plain dumb.

You can quote me: Lakers will make the WCF in 2010. GUARANTEED!

Bruno
07-06-2009, 04:45 AM
As long as the Lakers re-sign Odom. If they can keep Odom, the Artest pick up becomes the best off season move regarding contenders. When the champs make the best off season moves, then you have to think they'll repeat.

Rhino
07-06-2009, 04:56 AM
You can quote me: Lakers will make the WCF in 2010. GUARANTEED!

Oh don't worry I'm sure you'll be quoted by many. :)

griffyatl
07-06-2009, 05:54 AM
If Bynum comes back like he did before he got hurt it's OVER for anyone facing us. I think it's a reach for Boston getting Sheed, there was a reason why he struggled last year the guy is on his last leg, but I guess he can come off the bench. Also he makes Boston a very old team with all of their stars clearly on the wrong side of 30

Spicyterroraki
07-06-2009, 06:50 AM
LA has a great chance to repeat, but I think 09/10 could be a very interesting year...with Boston getting Sheed and Orlando with Vince Carter and Cleveland with Shaq...those moves could dramatically help those teams or they could all be busts, you really cant tell. If they all work out in those teams favors however, the season will be very interesting. Same goes with San Antonio getting some newer blood.

Fire Girardi
07-06-2009, 07:44 AM

LOL FAIL, ariza had a bad regular season too and did good in the playoffs so whats ur point and also regular season means nothing

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
You kidding? Right?

Kobe himself is better than both,of course Kobe and Artest are far better combo than pierce and allen.

He is better than both?
:confused:

If that were the case then Pierce wouldn't have held him down in the finals and took home finals mvp.

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 08:12 AM

How are they a guarantee to make the WCF? They almost got upset in the Semifinals this year.

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
He is better than both?

If that were the case then Pierce wouldn't have held him down in the finals and took home finals mvp.

Thats old news. Who is the current finals mvp?

marlinsfan24
07-06-2009, 10:31 AM
They have a good chance, but come one, let's see what happens the rest of the way before we jump into this thread.

Ace33Bone
07-06-2009, 11:33 AM
as long as Odom signs back the only thing stopping the Lakers from repeating is the LAKERS!!!... I hate to say this being a Cavs fan but the Lake show has too many weapons... I think they will get their revenge against the Celtics in the championship

S-Dot
07-06-2009, 11:35 AM
as long as Odom signs back the only thing stopping the Lakers from repeating is the LAKERS!!!... I hate to say this being a Cavs fan but the Lake show has too many weapons... I think they will get their revenge against the Celtics in the championship

If the cavs can add marion and maybe one more piece, it may not be boston, but as of today...its celts vs lakers.

69centers
07-06-2009, 11:46 AM
An old Wallace and Grant Hill are better than Artest? :laugh:

BTW--I am not including KG there. He was on your team this past season when the Lakers swept the Celtics in the regular season.

So a young Artest got the Pacers where? And the Rockets to the Western Conference Fina... oops, no, um, to where? He's 29, Sheed is 34. Big deal. I believe Sheed has a ring, and wait, what team did he beat to get it?

Regular season means so much. Memory refresh -- what did a healthy KG do to the Lakers in 2008 Finals without Hill or Sheed?

A Hungry Ron Artest> Trevor Ariza IMO
Also you guys sure you guys have Grant Hill in the bag?
Or is he going to pull a Hedo? haha.

Also Lakers have the best player and when you have the best player then you dont have to worry about a damn thing.

Except when your best player plays the Celtics in the Finals. :smoking:

BowDown32
07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Nope.

Gibby23
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
So a young Artest got the Pacers where? And the Rockets to the Western Conference Fina... oops, no, um, to where? He's 29, Sheed is 34. Big deal. I believe Sheed has a ring, and wait, what team did he beat to get it?

Regular season means so much. Memory refresh -- what did a healthy KG do to the Lakers in 2008 Finals without Hill or Sheed?

Except when your best player plays the Celtics in the Finals. :smoking:

To bad the Celtics are not the Champs anymore. :D

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 04:36 PM
So a young Artest got the Pacers where? And the Rockets to the Western Conference Fina... oops, no, um, to where?

Artest doesn't have to "get" the Lakers anywhere. The Lakers are already a championship winning team. They are the champions. Artest is simply an addition to a winning formula. There is no pressure on him to take the Lakers over the top because they are already there.

He's 29, Sheed is 34. Big deal.

That is HUGE in NBA years. Rasheed is on his last legs. Artest is in his prime.

I believe Sheed has a ring, and wait, what team did he beat to get it?

How is that relevent at all? Who cares that Sheed has a ring? Sun Yue has a ring as well. I'm not comparing the two, but using the argument that "Sheed got a ring 5 years ago in his prime so his old behind is still better than a prime Artest" isn't good at all. Sheed got a ring in his prime 5 years ago. Again, that was 5 years ago. Artest is in his prime. Sheed is on his last legs.

The Lakers didn't have 2 of their 5 starters. The Lakers were essentially without 40% of their line-up. I was showing regular season because that is more like the Lakers and Celtics current squad.

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Artest doesn't have to "get" the Lakers anywhere. The Lakers are already a championship winning team. They are the champions. Artest is simply an addition to a winning formula. There is no pressure on him to take the Lakers over the top because they are already there.

That is HUGE in NBA years. Rasheed is on his last legs. Artest is in his prime.

How is that relevent at all? Who cares that Sheed has a ring? Sun Yue has a ring as well. I'm not comparing the two, but using the argument that "Sheed got a ring 5 years ago in his prime so his old behind is still better than a prime Artest" isn't good at all. Sheed got a ring in his prime 5 years ago. Again, that was 5 years ago. Artest is in his prime. Sheed is on his last legs.

The Lakers didn't have 2 of their 5 starters. The Lakers were essentially without 40% of their line-up. I was showing regular season because that is more like the Lakers and Celtics current squad.

How were the Lakers without 40% of there lineup? Ariza wasn't the starter last year and Bynum never played with Gasol as he got hurt and once Bynum got hurt that is when the Lakers traded for Gasol.

ko8e24
07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
DESTINY

we are due to have a repeat champion in the nba. we haven't had once since the 02 3-peat lakers. spurs had 3 different chances to repeat after that (not including the 99 title), heat became a mediocre team, pistons almost repeated, and C's had bad luck.

re-signing odom and staying healthy=championship

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
How were the Lakers without 40% of there lineup? Ariza wasn't the starter last year and Bynum never played with Gasol as he got hurt and once Bynum got hurt that is when the Lakers traded for Gasol.

Fisher
Kobe
Ariza
Gasol
Bynum

2 out of 5 is 40%. Math is good, JB.

BTW--Your reasoning doesn't hold up as Ariza did start a few games (Christmas Day versus Suns was a great memory of him starting) and Bynum was always meant to come back and start. The Lakers knew they were incomplete and needed that inside presence. In fact, Gasol was trying to learn the 4 and 5 in anticipation of Bynum coming back.

The Lakers didn't have 40% of their line-up and that is fact. Not to mention how Vlade is a negative. The Lakers with those two would have been SO much different.

Also, we are talking about 2010 matchups. That Celtics fan was using 2008 as a measuring stick for 2010. That doesn't hold up seeing as how the 2008 squad doesn't have 40% of the current line-up and had some negative that are gone.

You get it now, JB?

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Ariza started 3 games the entire year in 2008 and you are saying he was the starter.

And Bynum and Gasol never played together because Bynum was injured which is how the Lakers got Gasol in the 1st place.

MVPedroia
07-06-2009, 05:04 PM
No they wont

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Ariza started 3 games the entire year in 2008 and you are saying he was the starter.

And Bynum and Gasol never played together because Bynum was injured which is how the Lakers got Gasol in the 1st place.

We are talking about 2010 matchups. That Celtics fan was using 2008 as a measuring stick for 2010. That doesn't hold up seeing as how the 2008 squad doesn't have 40% of the current line-up and had some negative that are gone.

You get it now, JB?

BTW--Are you baiting me by bringing up irrelevant points to try and get me mad?

I'll explain one more time.

Celtic fan says the Lakers will lose in 2010 because they lost in 2008.

I say the 2010 line-up is different from the 2008 line-up. The 2008 line-up is missing 40% of the current starters.

Get it NOW, JB?

For some reason you come in and argue that they wouldn't have been starters in the 2008 NBA Finals even though they probably would have (according to every single Laker source) and that is irrelevant to:

Verbal Christ
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
yea thanks for clogging the main forum with uselss,pretend,fantasy,magic,wishful thinking scenario's, couldnt this have been done in the laker forum where all of you could hold hands, pour beer on each other and hope the eastern conference stays shiitty next year. damn this is annoying.

JDizzle
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
depends if they lose odom i say no if they have odom then yes

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10038858&postcount=75

And you replied

The Lakers didn't have 2 of their 5 starters. The Lakers were essentially without 40% of their line-up.

So basically you were implying the Lakers were missing it's 2 starters in 2008.

DCB/LAL
07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10038858&postcount=75

And you replied

So basically you were implying the Lakers were missing it's 2 starters in 2008.

Starter or not are you saying Bynums 14pts/game and 8 rebounds along with his presence and shot blocking ability along with ariza averaging 6.5 pts in 18 minutes of play wouldn't of made a difference?

69centers
07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
We are talking about 2010 matchups. That Celtics fan was using 2008 as a measuring stick for 2010. That doesn't hold up seeing as how the 2008 squad doesn't have 40% of the current line-up and had some negative that are gone.

You get it now, JB?

I say the 2010 line-up is different from the 2008 line-up. The 2008 line-up is missing 40% of the current starters.

Get it NOW, JB?

For some reason you come in and argue that they wouldn't have been starters in the 2008 NBA Finals even though they probably would have (according to every single Laker source) and that is irrelevant to:

Exactly. And it will happen in 2010 because we will have Sheed off the bench, and he's better than either James Posey or PJ Brown (which was who we won it with in 2008). Then, if we add Grant Hill, you can forget about a Laker repeat.

You were without one starter in the Finals of '08, and it was a really young, inexperienced starter, so it wasn't like you guys lost an all star. You had Odom starting, not Ariza, so that's a wash. No way you were down 40%. I'd call it 5-10%.

DCB/LAL
07-06-2009, 07:43 PM
If LA signs Odom then i think they will repeat but its tough with teams now-a-days i think their the best team but guess we'll see

still1ballin
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM

You get it now, JB?

Get it NOW, JB?

rofl!

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Celtics team as of right now is better than the Lakers pending Odom re-signing (and even then it's a toss up). Celtics, Cavs, and Magic will all be amazing next year.. I can't wait.

Bynum is Mr. Inconsistency and needs a lot more maturing to be considered a Championship Caliber center. Odom is filthy and without him, I don't even see the Lakers capturing the #1 seed.

Spurs and Nuggets are both better as of right now.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Exactly. And it will happen in 2010 because we will have Sheed off the bench, and he's better than either James Posey or PJ Brown (which was who we won it with in 2008). Then, if we add Grant Hill, you can forget about a Laker repeat.

You were without one starter in the Finals of '08, and it was a really young, inexperienced starter, so it wasn't like you guys lost an all star. You had Odom starting, not Ariza, so that's a wash. No way you were down 40%. I'd call it 5-10%.

Forget about who is starting. Would you as a Celtic fan rather the Lakers come off the bench with Lamar Odom, or Ronny Turiaf. Im pretty sure you dont want to see Lamar coming off the bench.

Would you rather have Vladimir Radmonivich in, or Trevor Ariza? Im pretty sure you got a woody seeing Vlad out there matched up against PP.

It does not matter who started. Just having 2 important roll players out weakens your bench.

But thats neither here nor there. The Celtics won the ring. This year the Lakers won the ring. Next years teams will be totally different from the teams that won the rings these past two years. You guys like your roster. We like ours. Lets just see who's team is better.......... (Lakers):)

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Celtics team as of right now is better than the Lakers pending Odom re-signing (and even then it's a toss up). Celtics, Cavs, and Magic will all be amazing next year.. I can't wait.

Bynum is Mr. Inconsistency and needs a lot more maturing to be considered a Championship Caliber center. Odom is filthy and without him, I don't even see the Lakers capturing the #1 seed.

He obviously is a championship caliber center. He is due to get a ring late next October.

Reyes6
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Due to... not deserves to.

still1ballin
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM

You should worry about the Magic/Cavs before worrying about the Lakers.

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
rofl!

Sometimes I think JB purposely follows me around to bait me. It gets annoying.

We are having a discussion about repeating and the dude brings up 2008. I am trying to explain that this is a different team and JB disagrees. Classic. :laugh:

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Forget about who is starting. Would you as a Celtic fan rather the Lakers come off the bench with Lamar Odom, or Ronny Turiaf. Im pretty sure you dont want to see Lamar coming off the bench.

Would you rather have Vladimir Radmonivich in, or Trevor Ariza? Im pretty sure you got a woody seeing Vlad out there matched up against PP.

It does not matter who started. Just having 2 important roll players out weakens your bench.

But thats neither here nor there. The Celtics won the ring. This year the Lakers won the ring. Next years teams will be totally different from the teams that won the rings these past two years. You guys like your roster. We like ours. Lets just see who's team is better.......... (Lakers):)

Exactly. Bringing up the results of 2008 is irrelevant. (waits for JB to bring up 2008 results)

still1ballin

Really? How so. Please do explain.

Callenx5
The lakers will repeat, think about it u got Artest defending the opposing team best defender, then their second leading scorer will be guarded by kobe. And thats only da beginning. ****!!!!!

still1ballin
07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Sometimes I think JB purposely follows me around to bait me. It gets annoying.

We are having a discussion about repeating and the dude brings up 2008. I am trying to explain that this is a different team and JB disagrees. Classic. :laugh:

I thank you amigo for giving a great laugh!

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Due to... not deserves to.

Teams don't deserve championships. They earn championships.

Why do some people imply that when the Lakers win the championship, they do not deserve it? That makes no sense whatsoever.

PapelbonLester
07-06-2009, 07:58 PM
LAL/SA/Portland/Denver

Boston/Clevland/Orlando/Atlanta

All have a chance to take it next year....mark my words it will be one of those 8 teams all other teams should play for the 1st pick.

dtmagnet
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah I think they have a darn good shot at repeating.

KB24>MJ23
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Barring any major injuries, yes.