PDA

View Full Version : Why do people not think Shaq will have an impact on the Cavaliers next season?

JordansBulls
07-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Sure Shaq is 37 years old, but look at Kareem at 37 and Karl Malone. Malone was getting 23 and 8 on 50% fg and Kareem was getting you 22 and 8 and 2 bpg on 60% fg.

I'm not saying Shaq will get those numbers but it isn't out of the question for Shaq to average 18-20 ppg and 8-9 rpg along with 1.5-2.0 bpg.

I think that is significant impact for a big man.

LE-SHAQ
07-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I agree. Shaq is coming off a legitimate allstar season where he missed zero games due to injury. His low post game (scoring passing and defense) make him a huge impact on any team. Plus his championship leadership and playoff toughness matched with Lebrons desire to win. How many times did Jordan lose before he got there?Lebron felt thatsting this year. He won't again and Shaq will have something to do with it for the next two or three years. Shaq is on a teamhe doesn't have to carry all we need is 20 min a night for him to dominate. We have Big Z as a backup one of the few true centers left. That also makes Shaq life easier.

ink
07-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Kareem and Malone were fit.

GHOSTSNIPER
07-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Because he won't...that's why.And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so.

JordansBulls
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Kareem and Malone were fit.

Did you see Kareem at 37? The guy was soo slow it wasn't even funny. Malone was fit, but Kareem was not as fit as Shaq.

kblo247
07-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Work Ethic and Attitude

Kareem and Malone's dedication was not challenged or questioned how Shaq's was/is
- I Got Hurt on company time, I'll heal on company time rings a bell after the 3peat
- Buy me out when Miami was playing poorly

He also has that whole when things don't go well I'll chuck everyone under the bus but myself attitude. Yoy win with Shaq and his team played great and insert perimeter player here is the best in the world. You lose with Shaq and its these guys need to step up, they aren't doing their job, and/or cannot lead or carry a team
(Kobe, Penny, Wade, Van Exel, Nash, Horry)

Oh and my favorite - You don't feed the dog and he won't protect the yard

The one saving grace is that Shaq is good in his first year with people and doesn't start trouble until someone's star power rivals his. They won't have to worry about that ion Cleveland because he and Lebron both have 1 year deals.

I love Shaq for what he has done for my team and appreciate his time here, but I would be lying through my teeth if I didn't say that Shaq needs others to motivate him as he doesn't and hasn't done it for himself since the 3peat.

king4day
07-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Because he won't...that's why.And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so.

:laugh:

... I do think he'll have an impact but the team is gonna go through some severe growing pain pains the first couple months.
That's a big adustment that'll need to be made.

FOBolous
07-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Shaq WILL still have an impact on the team. No matter how old or slow he gets....he'll still be one of the top 3 centers in league...especially with Yao gone now.

prodigy
07-04-2009, 09:37 AM
1. shaq is not fat. Might not be the fittest guy, But he's not fat.

2. Shaq will get 3-4 easy layup/dunks a game because of lebron.

3. Shaq will play well and help the cavs win. Thats not a concern at all. The only concern I have is his health. Played 75 games last season, He said he will be doing the same things he did with the suns trainers. I want atleast 67 games from him, and all of the postseason. We have Z, which is great.

If the cavs can grab dyess, parker I would be very happy.

kblo247
07-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Don't the cavs have the BAE?

If they do they should split it and the MLE between

Hill, Parker, and Dice since Wally, Andy, and Smith are rolling out

TheKing23
07-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Shaq's gonna have a huge impact on the Cavs next season...

He thrives in slower paced offensive teams and Cleveland were 25th in the league last season in possessions per 48 minutes with 87.5

You then look at what the Cavs gave up for him:

Ben Wallace: 2.9 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 23.5 mpg
Sasha Pavlovic: 4.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.1 apg, 16 mpg

That's a combined 7.5 ppg and 8.4 rpg in 39.5 mpg

If Shaq plays 30 mpg and gets, as you said, between 18-20 ppg, 8-9 rpg, and 1.5-2 bpg, that's a huge upgrade. Not to mention the double teams he'll command and the pressure he'll take off LeBron, the Cavs look even more formidable than they did last season.

GHOSTSNIPER
07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Everyone has valid posts.There's one thing we can't argue with...a motivated Shaq is a dangerous Shaq.

ManRam
07-04-2009, 09:48 AM
He can guard Dwight (at least much better than the junk they were throwing at him in the ECF). Simple as that. He's more effective, even at his old age, than any of the big men they had. He's supposedly getting in very good shape, he'll be very motivated, he's still dominating in size. Shaq can get away with being old. He doesn't' rely on speed and quickness, he relies on power and girth. For that reason, he'll be more effective in his late 30s than most every other player that's ever played.

prodigy
07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
He can guard Dwight (at least much better than the junk they were throwing at him in the ECF). Simple as that. He's more effective, even at his old age, than any of the big men they had. He's supposedly getting in very good shape, he'll be very motivated, he's still dominating in size. Shaq can get away with being old. He doesn't' rely on speed and quickness, he relies on power and girth. For that reason, he'll be more effective in his late 30s than most every other player that's ever played.

Just make howard work.

cHi8DaL5LA420
07-04-2009, 09:56 AM
very good question... he is not the shaq of yesteryear... he is a decent player... but by no means does this move make cleveland the favorites... they are still lacking a player... shaq wont even average 30 min a game

dynastyredsox29
07-04-2009, 09:56 AM
shaq will avg 12 ppg 8.5 rpg

DCSportsIsPain
07-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Kareem and Malone weren't carrying 320+ on their knees at age 37. It isn't that he won't have an impact, it's that very few expect he will be healthy for the entire season.

Born a Brave
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
This is a good question. When the trade first broke, I wrote about why I felt that Shaq is no NBA Finals guarantee for the Cavs. While he can still contribute in some aspects, their are other negative things that will hurt Cleveland.... Check out the blog if you like.......

http://www.atlantabravesnews.com/bornabrave/weblog/7814/why-shaq-is-no-finals-ticket-for.html

Lakers211221
07-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Shaq might have an impact on the team...depending on what other moves they make in the offseason. If they stay put, and have Shaq at Center and Varejo at PF then they will not be a dominating team. Shaq and Varejo both have little outside game and play in the paint. If both of those players and the guys defending them are all in the paint, then it will make it tough for LBJ to drive into the paint which is the most important part of his game! If Cleveland gets a PF that can play outside (like Rashard Lewis, even though I know they won't get him) then the Shaq move makes them much better.

Jays Claw
07-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I have this funny feeling that Shaq won't really fit in with the Cavaliers system and will have a injury riddled campaign.

prodigy
07-04-2009, 10:23 AM
the cavs system is shaq lol. Lebron dribbles the ball at the key and drives inside. Guess who will get the dump passes? hint: not me... Plus shaq can also pass back out to west, mo, gibson, mybe parker etc....

I'm trying real hard to figure out how this does not make the cavs better, i just can't do it. The cavs will add a couple more pieces for sure, but shaq is still a real good player.

mikantsass
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Sure Shaq is 37 years old, but look at Kareem at 37 and Karl Malone. Malone was getting 23 and 8 on 50% fg and Kareem was getting you 22 and 8 and 2 bpg on 60% fg.

I'm not saying Shaq will get those numbers but it isn't out of the question for Shaq to average 18-20 ppg and 8-9 rpg along with 1.5-2.0 bpg.

I agree with you. I think Shaq will definately have a good season. However, the Cavs are now extremely weak at defending the pick and roll (they were last year too). But they do have a big man to match stregnth with Howard and Perkins, and the Lakers/Spurs if they happen to draw them in the finals.

phillychi009
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
the cavs system is shaq lol. Lebron dribbles the ball at the key and drives inside. Guess who will get the dump passes? hint: not me... Plus shaq can also pass back out to west, mo, gibson, mybe parker etc....

I'm trying real hard to figure out how this does not make the cavs better, i just can't do it. The cavs will add a couple more pieces for sure, but shaq is still a real good player.

Well i can Shaq will be one year old and in a new system. Plus the one reason i really don't get why they traded for him is how they have a problem with pick-and-rolls, that is why the Magic beat them and it is why they have problem with Boston, L.A, and the Spurs. All these teams have great pick-and-roll play. I think with the addtion of Shaq Clev will not get far into the playoff at all.

artest_kobe
07-04-2009, 10:41 AM
obviously he will make a difference in cleveland, he's a clear upgrade from last year, however, when people think of the cavs, they immediately think of championship... which is ridiculous. the cavs are not as good as their regular season record showed... which was pretty evident in the eastern finals. it's not that shaq won't make a difference, it's simply that he won't provide them that big of a push to beat the lakers, spurs, magic, etc.

artest_kobe
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
and i think that's why people say he won't have an impact... at least not an impact like he did in LA, MIA, or ORL.

phillychi009
07-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Ya those player put up great numbers for their age but, they didn't take the BEATTING that Shaq has.

Giantwarrior
07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
shaq's fat butt will clog the lane. its going to be a huge adjustment for lebron. Shaq is ner more then 5 feet from the rim i swear.

ManRam
07-04-2009, 10:57 AM
obviously he will make a difference in cleveland, he's a clear upgrade from last year, however, when people think of the cavs, they immediately think of championship... which is ridiculous. the cavs are not as good as their regular season record showed... which was pretty evident in the eastern finals. it's not that shaq won't make a difference, it's simply that he won't provide them that big of a push to beat the lakers, spurs, magic, etc.

Sometimes a team just has your number. They cruised through the first two rounds. I don't think their regular season record was a fluke, I just think the Magic posed serious match up problems that the Cavs couldn't deal with, especially Howard. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the Lakers more of a run for their money than we did in all honesty. It's just they didn't have the players to deal with our strengths, and couldn't deal with our 3 6'10"+ starters. LA had the personnel to deal with our strengths as a team, Cleveland didn't. Doesn't mean Cleveland is a bad team. It just means they couldn't match up with us.

GHOSTSNIPER
07-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Lebron is ignorant to the fact that he hasn't established even a decent jumper.How many times do you see defenders lay off of him?He IS an outstanding driver but Shaq will be clogging the paint like SVG's arteries and if he does have an impact he'll command a double team further reducing james' lone offensive skill and that's finishing near the cup.

DCSportsIsPain
07-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Should we start a thread to count how many 3 second violations Shaq gets away with this season?

Knowledge
07-04-2009, 11:15 AM
He will have an impact, but I am not sure how much it will matter against the elite teams in the NBA and especially Orlando.

Can Shack guard Dwight Howard alone? I dont think so. He is too slow and Dwight can just go by him.

Can Shaq guard Howard when Orlando runs the pick and roll? No,the pick and roll has been a weakness in Shaq's game for a while now and that hasn't changed, in fact it has gotten worse with age most likely. This was already a weakness for Cleveland and I dont see how it hasnt gotten worse.

Finally, who is Cleveland going to use to guard Lewis? Not shaq. . . Lebron?

Teams will now pick and roll Cleveland's bigs to death with Big Z and/or Shaq in the game. This weakness will be exposed and abused by Orlando or Boston. And it will only get worse if Sheed goes to Orlando or Boston since then you would to deal with him stepping out and hitting the three IMO.

I think the Cavs are still one impact player away from beating the best of the best.

Note: Everything above is my opinion and it will not change until I see otherwise, so their really is no use trying to give/provide a counterargument. Thank you for reading.

IndiansFan337
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Depending on who the Cavs get to play PF, I think he will be close to 15 ppg, 7 rpg & 2 bpg.

He's certainly going to make a huge impact. His stats are not going to be better than they were last season, I can assure of that right now. But he is going to get less PT, and regardless of his statistics he will be a crucial part to this team's success. I can see him sitting out the 4th qtr of a lot of lopsided games. LeBron & some of the other key pieces sat out roughly 10 4th qtr's over the course of last season in various blowout wins. I don't expect the upcoming season to be any different. That may cause their stats to go down a tick, but as long as they win when it matters...That is the bottom line.

Jah king
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM

lets , FAT , NO DEFENSE... A TREE TRUNK IN THE LANE THAT CANT MOVE..REFUSES TO GET IN SHAPE..

MagicDojo
07-04-2009, 11:50 AM
it does not matter if they win 70 games with Shaq. it is the post season that matters. He is always out of shape and 40lbs heavy at the start of the season. The suns rested him in back to back games for a reason. He cannot sprint the floor with dwight and resorted to flopping like Varajeo last time we saw him on Orlando. At least Z spreads the floor....Shaq will pack the paint which makes LBJ take more jumpers. Which if you are Orlando or Boston is what you want.

Mane
07-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Hes going to clog up Lebrons lane.

Jays Claw
07-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Lebron is ignorant to the fact that he hasn't established even a decent jumper.How many times do you see defenders lay off of him? He IS an outstanding driver but Shaq will be clogging the paint like SVG's arteries and if he does have an impact he'll command a double team further reducing james' lone offensive skill and that's finishing near the cup.

That just made my day! :laugh:

stawka
07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Cavs will never win and LeBron will want out.

Simple, why you ask? Shaq is fat and clogs up the lane, so LeBron can't drive meaning he can't score inside = Cavs can't win.

It happened with Penny, Kobe, Wade - same will happen with LeBron. Oh wait.....

MagicDojo
07-04-2009, 12:08 PM

Simple, why you ask? Shaq is fat and clogs up the lane, so LeBron can't drive meaning he can't score inside = Cavs can't win.

Weapons....? he he Moe the prognosticator? they have one weapon...everybody knows that the last ten plays of a Cavs close game will be ....all together now..spread the floor and give it to Lebron at the top of the key. That works with most NBA foes but not against Dwight Howard or Garnett. Howard led in blocks (and goaltending calls he he). Will that change with Shaq? Uh no because of the Hack a Shaq he usually does not have the ball down the stretch. So LBJ still goes 1 on 5 to end a game..

Storch
07-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Because shaq's going to clog up the lanes and Lebron's driving frenzys wont be as easy anymore.

stawka
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Weapons....? he he Moe the prognosticator? they have one weapon...everybody knows that the last ten plays of a Cavs close game will be ....all together now..spread the floor and give it to Lebron at the top of the key. That works with most NBA foes but not against Dwight Howard or Garnett. Howard led in blocks (and goaltending calls he he). Will that change with Shaq? Uh no because of the Hack a Shaq he usually does not have the ball down the stretch. So LBJ still goes 1 on 5 to end a game..

How many games did they win again? Oh that's right. You = FAIL... "he he"

RaiderLakersA's
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Shaq will have an impact. What most people are reacting to when they view the addition of Shaq negatively is all of the boasts of that making Cleveland a 2010 Finals Champion. Shaq + LeBron doesn't automatically give them a ring. I think a healthy Celts team can give them pause. I think before it's all said and done we'll see at least one other power in the East stake their claim as well.

Mentioning Kareem and Malone is pointless, because we all know that the superstars on those teams were far superior to LeBron at this stage of his game (I think he will get better) and the role players on those teams make Cleveland's role players look like the Washington Generals at best.

Fayzon10
07-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Kareem and Malone were fit. You hit the nail on the head Kareem and Malone kept their body in shape I see Kareem on the Lakers bench and he still looks like he can play a little bit, Shaq is 300+ and can't stay in shape.. But Shaq is better than the other bigs on Cavs but not enought to put them over the top at this point in his career.

Vee-Rex
07-04-2009, 01:16 PM

LOLOLOL

This is why I laugh at people that say Shaq will clog up Lebron's lane. Yeah, just like he did with Kobe and Wade when they won their championships, right? Hahaha.

The fact of the matter is... Dwight Howard, Gortat, Turkeyglu, Pietrus, and Lewis clogged up Lebron's lane yet they STILL couldn't stop him. I swear I've seen 4 green Celtic jerseys in the paint trying to stop Lebron at times and he still scores.

Shaq will not clog up Lebron's lane. And even if he does, it won't stop LBJ from scoring. If anything, it'll make an incredible target for LBJ to dish out the rock to. I see many dunks for Shaq this season.

Cleveland is a championship contender, but they don't really have all the pieces they need. One or two more pieces and they will have a better chance. Most important thing right now is staying healthy, and that makes me worry about Shaq.

MadBomber
07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Shaq will be a contributor, no doubt about it. I think Lebron is more of a willing passer than Wade or Kobe was when they were younger and will look for Shaq if he's free. But they are still missing a few pieces to challenge LA for the ring. Shaq is a defensive liabilty...i'll run that pick and roll on him all day if i had to.

prodigy
07-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Well i can Shaq will be one year old and in a new system. Plus the one reason i really don't get why they traded for him is how they have a problem with pick-and-rolls, that is why the Magic beat them and it is why they have problem with Boston, L.A, and the Spurs. All these teams have great pick-and-roll play. I think with the addtion of Shaq Clev will not get far into the playoff at all.

wow all wrong.

1. Cavs system is GREAT for shaq. I explained why before.

2. We got shaq so he can go one-on-one with howard and we won't have to leave are men to double team.

It does not fix the pick and role problems, But then again, only the magic was able to kill us with that. The magic are also alot weaker. They beat the cavs because of their height mismatch. Well its gone now, Plus the cavs own carter.

try again hater...

27atwater
07-04-2009, 03:22 PM
wow all wrong.

1. Cavs system is great for shaq. I explained why before.

2. We got shaq so he can go one-on-one with howard and we won't have to leave are men to double team.

It does not fix the pick and role problems, but then again, only the magic was able to kill us with that. The magic are also alot weaker. They beat the cavs because of their height mismatch. Well its gone now, plus the cavs own carter.
try again hater...

qft

DieselPowered32
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Pure and simple any one who thinks Shaq won't help the cavs doesn't know anything about Basketball. Lets have a look at his previous team the Suns and compare them to the Cavs

1. Suns didn't play any defence, never have never will. Not the case in Cleveland where they emphasize on playing strong defence as a team.

2. Cavs have players who can play defence and have that mindset to do so, suns never did

3. At the Suns Shaq played with a PF who cried like a litle b i t c h all the time wanting to be "the man" on the team, when he couldn't be bothered rebounding or playing any defence. This is not the case in Cleveland.

4. Shaq had an old Nash who can't play defence to save his life and had every young guard torch him and blow pass him over and over again. Once again this won't be the case in Cleveland.

5. Shaq now has Lebron a 24 yr old machine, with the Suns he had an old nash, an old hill and a pre madonna PF in Amare, these three guys aren't even in Lebron's league

DCSportsIsPain
07-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Shaq is the single most over-rated player the league has ever had.
Being 7'+, 300lbs+, and being allowed to stand in the lane indefinitely and push off does not make a basketball player. If Shaq had been any smaller, he'd have had no career in basketball. He won't play defense so erase that thought. The most he will do is cherry pick at the offensive end, and he is too old and slow to get away with the offensive and defensive three second violations he made a career of when he was younger.

All Shaq is going to do is to have both his fat *** and the opposing 5 clogging the lane, since everyone knows he never leaves the paint. Between two 5's and the two 4's who know LeBron has no outside shot, King James will never have room to get to the rim. At least Zeke drew opposing centers out of the paint long enough for James to have a lane.

If he even stays healthy, a big if for a 37 year old carrying well over 300lbs, he will not be the dominant force he once was, or even close to it.

Grim Reaper
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
He'll have an impact against the Magic a team they've had trouble with but, I think it gives the Celtics an advantage now because Cleveland always plays Boston tough but the Celtics always give teams with Shaq on them a beating. They killed one bird with one stone instead of killing two birds with one stone I would say.

SeoulBeatz
07-04-2009, 04:25 PM
ignorance and hate maybe?

people say he's geting old but he was still dominant last year and i see no reason for him to slow down.

the guy is huge and has amazing footwork and technique and its not like he needs to jump out the building to succeed.

anyone who knows anything about basketball can see that.

soo much ignorance on this board.

u have THE TWO MOST PHYSICALLY DOMINANT PLAYERS IN THE NBA and when defenses collapse on them, they can kick it out to their slew of great 3 point shooters. it makes sense... jesus.

notice how no once is coming in here to bash shaq now... i dare someone to make a logical argument of how shaq WOULDNT help the cavs.

please... ill wait.

kjdills13
07-04-2009, 04:49 PM
i know im going to get eaten alive for this bu shaq is the BEST center in he NBA i would take him over any other center in he nba ( assuming yao is finished). Poeple will say hes slow and cant guard the pick and roll but thats his ONLY flaw ( dont mention free throws because all the great centers in the league cant shoot free throws).

shaqs stats last year

17.8 points. 8.4 rebound, 1.4 blocks, 60.9 fg% , 59.5 ft % all in 30 minutes!

dwight howard

20 points, 13.8 rebounds, 2.9 blocks, 57.2fg%, 59.4 ft% all in 35 minutes!

dwight is 6'11 265
shaq is 7'1 325

head to head last year

shaq 9/13 fg, 11 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 19 points

dwight 7/14 fg, 8 reboungs, 2 steals, 1 block, 21 points

shaq is still the most DOMINATE center in the league and if i had to chose a center to have in the playoffs it would be without question shaq! NOBODY can guard him one on one! he is 60 pounds and 2 inches taller than dwight! that a HUGE difference!

shaq> dwight

cleavland will paly the lakers in the finals and that will be a great series

kjdills13
07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
ignorance and hate maybe?

people say he's geting old but he was still dominant last year and i see no reason for him to slow down.

the guy is huge and has amazing footwork and technique and its not like he needs to jump out the building to succeed.

anyone who knows anything about basketball can see that.

soo much ignorance on this board.

u have THE TWO MOST PHYSICALLY DOMINANT PLAYERS IN THE NBA and when defenses collapse on them, they can kick it out to their slew of great 3 point shooters. it makes sense... jesus.

notice how no once is coming in here to bash shaq now... i dare someone to make a logical argument of how shaq WOULDNT help the cavs.

please... ill wait.

that was beautifull and so true
:dance:
:rimshot:

JordansBulls
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
People are just disliking Shaq now.

Storch
07-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Hey since you quoted me and everything, being that ur my number one fan ... :rolleyes: Lets see how shaq and lebron can win a ring this year. Lebron will arguably have more talent than when kobe had shaq back in the day.

LOL to you if lebron still cant win it this year having shaq and mo williams in his team. That means im right and you quoted me this whole time, you will look like the idiot.

SteveNash
07-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm sure the Shaq experiment will work during the regular season. The post season is where the Cavs will run into trouble with Shaq.

LeBron is simply not going to trust Shaq when the going gets tough. He's going to do what he always does, go 1 on 5 while making the "correct" passes when he can't bulldoze his way to the basket. This will give him an out with the media so they won't label him a choker. Shaq will not help in these situations because all Shaq will do is take up space while playing poor defense on the other end.

Work Ethic and Attitude

Kareem and Malone's dedication was not challenged or questioned how Shaq's was/is
- I Got Hurt on company time, I'll heal on company time rings a bell after the 3peat
- Buy me out when Miami was playing poorly

Kareem definitely had a poor work ethic, at least when he got older.

kjdills13
07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Being 7'+, 300lbs+, and being allowed to stand in the lane indefinitely and push off does not make a basketball player. If Shaq had been any smaller, he'd have had no career in basketball. He won't play defense so erase that thought. The most he will do is cherry pick at the offensive end, and he is too old and slow to get away with the offensive and defensive three second violations he made a career of when he was younger.

All Shaq is going to do is to have both his fat *** and the opposing 5 clogging the lane, since everyone knows he never leaves the paint. Between two 5's and the two 4's who know LeBron has no outside shot, King James will never have room to get to the rim. At least Zeke drew opposing centers out of the paint long enough for James to have a lane.

If he even stays healthy, a big if for a 37 year old carrying well over 300lbs, he will not be the dominant force he once was, or even close to it.

okay so you wana play the if they were shorter game. okay lets being

if __________ were any shorter he wouldnt have been a good player

chriss paul ( to small)
lebron james( would make him take more jumpshots )
tim duncan ( couldnt be dominate on defense and he could get his bank shot off)
kg( defensivly he would be alot worse)
dwight howard ( cant leave hte key bc he cant shoot)

i could go on and on and on you realise that basketball is a sport that height KILLS! and shaq was and is HUGE and you would never know how good any player would be if they were shorter!?

but keep up your dumb comments :smoking:

Tmac,lt,berkman
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
:laugh:

... I do think he'll have an impact but the team is gonna go through some severe growing pain pains the first couple months.
That's a big adustment that'll need to be made.

shaq is garbage and as a rockets fan i wouldnt trade brian cook for him.

SeoulBeatz
07-04-2009, 06:48 PM

wow. really?

"if i could rap i would be a rapper."

but i cant rap, so i decide not to make an *** of myself.

that is the dumbest argument i can imagine.

the mere fact that u are calling shaq overrated discredits anything u could ever say.

u must be 10 years old and did not witness how freaking amazing shaq was when he was in his prime.

its not even worth arguing withu.

Kyben36
07-04-2009, 06:48 PM
They went from Ben wallace to Shaq, Im going to say they improved.

SeoulBeatz
07-04-2009, 06:50 PM
shaq is garbage and as a rockets fan i wouldnt trade brian cook for him.

.... is it even worth arguing with u.

MagicDojo
07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
i know im going to get eaten alive for this bu shaq is the BEST center in he NBA i would take him over any other center in he nba ( assuming yao is finished). Poeple will say hes slow and cant guard the pick and roll but thats his ONLY flaw ( dont mention free throws because all the great centers in the league cant shoot free throws).

shaqs stats last year

17.8 points. 8.4 rebound, 1.4 blocks, 60.9 fg% , 59.5 ft % all in 30 minutes!

dwight howard

20 points, 13.8 rebounds, 2.9 blocks, 57.2fg%, 59.4 ft% all in 35 minutes!

dwight is 6'11 265
shaq is 7'1 325

head to head last year

shaq 9/13 fg, 11 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 19 points

dwight 7/14 fg, 8 reboungs, 2 steals, 1 block, 21 points

shaq is still the most DOMINATE center in the league and if i had to chose a center to have in the playoffs it would be without question shaq! NOBODY can guard him one on one! he is 60 pounds and 2 inches taller than dwight! that a HUGE difference!

shaq> dwight

cleavland will paly the lakers in the finals and that will be a great series

You forgot 2 stats:
age Dwight 23 Shaq 37
flops Dwight 0 Shaq 2

DCSportsIsPain
07-04-2009, 06:58 PM
okay so you wana play the if they were shorter game. okay lets being

if __________ were any shorter he wouldnt have been a good player

chriss paul ( to small)
lebron james( would make him take more jumpshots )
tim duncan ( couldnt be dominate on defense and he could get his bank shot off)
kg( defensivly he would be alot worse)
dwight howard ( cant leave hte key bc he cant shoot)

i could go on and on and on you realise that basketball is a sport that height KILLS! and shaq was and is HUGE and you would never know how good any player would be if they were shorter!?

but keep up your dumb comments :smoking:

You're making my point for me. Every team in the league would take all of the players you listed in the reply, but only one of them just paid Shaq $14 Million. Every player You listed is smaller than Shaq and has more game. If Shaq had been the size of a Karl Malone, a better player than Shaq by the way, or a Kareem, another better player than Shaq, or a Bill Russell, a better player than most anyone, Shaq would have had no career in basketball. It isn't the height. It's the outweighing everyone by 60 pounds or more in combination with being given the benefit of the doubt on offensive fouls and three second violations his entire career. If there were no dunks, every player you named could play the game except Shaq. Allen Iverson made a good career out of the game and he isn't close to six feet tall.

Shaq is the most over-rated and under-talented player to ever play the game.

JWO35
07-04-2009, 07:02 PM
You forgot 2 stats:
age Dwight 23 Shaq 37
flops Dwight 0 Shaq 2

:clap:
hahaha Who would pick Shaq over Dwight?

dee279
07-04-2009, 07:19 PM
He is a big upgrade on Big Z so i see no reason why people dont think this is a huge addition to the Cavs. he will take loads off of Lebron which Mo was supposed to do in the playoffs but obviously didnt.

Tmac,lt,berkman
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
.... is it even worth arguing with u.

no cuz truthfully i just dont like shaq as a player.

SeoulBeatz
07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
no cuz truthfully i just dont like shaq as a player.

touche then.

GspLAL
07-04-2009, 08:31 PM
he will have an impact, but the question is will it be positive? He brings his benefits and detriments. Gonna be interesting to see if him clogging the lane will be a problem since their center was a jump shooter.

stawka
07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey since you quoted me and everything, being that ur my number one fan ... :rolleyes: Lets see how shaq and lebron can win a ring this year. Lebron will arguably have more talent than when kobe had shaq back in the day.

LOL to you if lebron still cant win it this year having shaq and mo williams in his team. That means im right and you quoted me this whole time, you will look like the idiot.

You're a tool my man. Kobe had a prime Shaq/Horry/Fisher/Shaw and the list goes on... LeBron has a 37 year old Shaq, a decent Mo-Will/West and a 75 year old Big-Z. Please don't compare the talent.

I'm not saying THEY WILL WIN A RING. But to say Shaq won't help is just being ignorant and stupid, which is what you're doing.

kjdills13
07-04-2009, 08:57 PM
You're making my point for me. Every team in the league would take all of the players you listed in the reply, but only one of them just paid Shaq $14 Million. Every player You listed is smaller than Shaq and has more game. If Shaq had been the size of a Karl Malone, a better player than Shaq by the way, or a Kareem, another better player than Shaq, or a Bill Russell, a better player than most anyone, Shaq would have had no career in basketball. It isn't the height. It's the outweighing everyone by 60 pounds or more in combination with being given the benefit of the doubt on offensive fouls and three second violations his entire career. If there were no dunks, every player you named could play the game except Shaq. Allen Iverson made a good career out of the game and he isn't close to six feet tall.

Shaq is the most over-rated and under-talented player to ever play the game.

you do realise the NBA changed rules because shaq was to dominate right! and your comment i highlighted proves your an idiot

withour dunks dwight would have NO offense! hes score 8 points a game!!

kjdills13
07-04-2009, 09:01 PM
You forgot 2 stats:
age Dwight 23 Shaq 37
flops Dwight 0 Shaq 2

i dont care about age! for a one year contract which is what shaq has i would rather have shaq than dwight! in the playoffs id rather have shaq than dwight! thats just me! he dominates on O you cant stop shaq! and he can get ANY good bigman in fould trouble! quote me on this!

shaq will get dwight in fould trouble EVERY time cleavland plays orlando

Storch
07-04-2009, 09:24 PM
You're a tool my man. Kobe had a prime Shaq/Horry/Fisher/Shaw and the list goes on... LeBron has a 37 year old Shaq, a decent Mo-Will/West and a 75 year old Big-Z. Please don't compare the talent.

I'm not saying THEY WILL WIN A RING. But to say Shaq won't help is just being ignorant and stupid, which is what you're doing.

Oh no, i'm not saying shaq wont help at all. I said he wouldnt help lebron, since lebron drives a lot so shaq would clog the paint.

This conversation is about your sig.

Prime horry, fisher, shaw, fox, madsen, lue, george?? LOL. Please, you talk about them like theyre great players. Theyre good roll players AT BEST.

37 year old shaq is still an all star. Mo Williams is an all star. 3 all star players. West, sczerbiak, Z, varejao, pavlovic are good roll players. And they still wont win a title. You're just a lebron homer. "LOL at you."

Thanks for calling me a tool. report.

GspLAL
07-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh no, i'm not saying shaq wont help at all. I said he wouldnt help lebron, since lebron drives a lot so shaq would clog the paint.

This conversation is about your sig.

Prime horry, fisher, shaw, fox, madsen, lue, george?? LOL. Please, you talk about them like theyre great players. Theyre good roll players AT BEST.

37 year old shaq is still an all star. Mo Williams is an all star. 3 all star players. West, sczerbiak, Z, varejao, pavlovic are good roll players. And they still wont win a title. You're just a lebron homer. "LOL at you."

Thanks for calling me a tool. report.

I love how when Cavs were winning everyone praised that team like they were Gods gift to this world, suddenly they lose and Lebron has no help or no team.

Kabowdos
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Look what happened in Phoenix that is why.

Storch
07-04-2009, 10:57 PM
I love how when Cavs were winning everyone praised that team like they were Gods gift to this world, suddenly they lose and Lebron has no help or no team.

Yep, my point exactly.

prodigy
07-04-2009, 11:04 PM
ok common haters, stop.

Shaq will be fine for the cavs. They still need a PF and swing defender/scorer. Which they should be able to get both.

A championship is not a lock for any team. But The cavs, even before they got shaq were title contenders. Shaq fits their system and The only way he won't help the cavs, is if he gets hurt.

Raph12
07-05-2009, 12:57 AM
First of all, Shaq is 37 no where near as quick as he was and that will be trouble for Lebron trying to get to the hole, because Cavs game plan is Lebron penetration and dish, with Shaq`s 320lb body clogging up one half of the lane, Lebron will be forced to use the other. With that being said it limits Lebron`s game and the Cavs`offensive sets.
Second, he's played 235 of a possible 410+ games *"+" denotes playoff games*, so he's extremely injury-prone, especially since he played 75 games last year it`s probably taken a toll on his body so I see him getting injured easily. Third, he takes contender teams like Miami (at one point) and Pheonix (pre-Shaq era) and turned them into a lottery team within less than two seasons, so he usually ruins chemistry to make his game work, especially with his larger-than-life ego which won`t help out the Cavs who already have two big mouths in Lebron and for some weird reason Mo Williams (maybe he thinks he`s a real allstar lol). Finally, he has struggled to guard Dwight and pick-and-roll plays his whole career, so his defense will continue to be lackluster, especially against the Magic, so should they meet them again in the ECFs I predict another Magic victory in 6 (especially if they get Sheed, Bass or Marion via free agency). Shaq will have a big impact on the Cavs but the impact will be negative, mark my words there is no way Cavs win 65+ games next season

ARMIN12NBA
07-05-2009, 02:28 AM

Is this a joke or are you serious? Both Kareem and Malone were two of the hardest working and most dedicated athletes of all time in the NBA. They kept in shape and worked hard in the off-season. Shaq? Not so much. That is the difference. Shaq is an older 38 than those two.

BTW--Shaq will have an impact on the Cavaliers next year...just negatively.

Kenny
07-05-2009, 03:02 AM
First of all, Shaq is 37 no where near as quick as he was and that will be trouble for Lebron trying to get to the hole, because Cavs game plan is Lebron penetration and dish, with Shaq`s 320lb body clogging up one half of the lane, Lebron will be forced to use the other. With that being said it limits Lebron`s game and the Cavs`offensive sets.
Second, he's played 235 of a possible 410+ games *"+" denotes playoff games*, so he's extremely injury-prone, especially since he played 75 games last year it`s probably taken a toll on his body so I see him getting injured easily. Third, he takes contender teams like Miami (at one point) and Pheonix (pre-Shaq era) and turned them into a lottery team within less than two seasons, so he usually ruins chemistry to make his game work, especially with his larger-than-life ego which won`t help out the Cavs who already have two big mouths in Lebron and for some weird reason Mo Williams (maybe he thinks he`s a real allstar lol). Finally, he has struggled to guard Dwight and pick-and-roll plays his whole career, so his defense will continue to be lackluster, especially against the Magic, so should they meet them again in the ECFs I predict another Magic victory in 6 (especially if they get Sheed, Bass or Marion via free agency). Shaq will have a big impact on the Cavs but the impact will be negative, mark my words there is no way Cavs win 65+ games next season

do people not realize the cavs played with ben wallace on the floor. They basically played 4 on 5 on offense.. It is funny when people actually think shaq will hinder one bit lebrons game.. Like nobody ever waited in the paint for lebron to come, he just goes right at them and finishes anyway

jaymart750
07-05-2009, 03:11 AM
I dont think he will have a huge impact. I say that considering that I believe they wont win more than 66 games this year, because Celtics should be healthy all season. Orlando is just as good as they were last year, and I dont think Shaq can guard Dwight. This year Cleveland will be a 3rd or 4th seed coming out of the east, and if thats the case it will mean they had a worst year. I believe it will be a repeat of the 2007-2008 NBA Finals, which will put the leagues two most successful franchises in its history the L.A. Lakers vs Boston Celtics. I think Shaq is way past his prime, and benefitted alot from playing with Amare and Nash. The Cavs were a great team when they were running up and down the court, but Shaq wont allow that anymore cause he's too slow to make it on time. This team stunk when it came to half-court offense, and I dont see it changing because of Shaq.

JayW_1023
07-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Shaq just isn't the answer anymore. He has no explosiveness. His free throw percentage will drag down a team who struggled at the line last year even more.

If I were Brown i'd allow Shaq to come off the bench, because Big Z is prolly a better compliment for LeBrons game with his ability to hit the perimeter shot.

GspLAL
07-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Another thing to consider is if Shaq's tank can last, he might get tired come playoff time, maybe not in the first round, but in the ECF/Finals there's a good chance he'll be tired. I dunno, they just can't depend on him too much in my opinion, he will help them, but if they depend on him too much it will burn him out.

J-Relo
07-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Look what happened in Phoenix that is why.

that's totally different situation...

both teams before Shaq were contenders, but that's the only similarity...

Cavs system is a lot better for Shaq.

Suns problems was that they tried to mix their running with Shaq and add defense... Terry Porter tried that.... but... Guys like Nash, Amare had never played D, simply because they didn't need to... Then Diaw (while not getting minutes) and Bell started to ruin team chemistry... Of course it is more fun to run and shoot and after opponents get easy basket again run... They got traded, J-Rich came to town, but it didn't work out as well as expected as he was really inconsistent..... we failed in mixing totally different parts (not the same as Cavs)... Even with Shaq after Gentry became a new coach things were going to start rolling, but Amare's injury, Barbosa's injury prevented us from getting into the playoffs... we weren't far away...

Shaq got nice stats, got in shape and was running down the court as never before... plus he improved his FT! and he had no injuries...

so i don't see why Shaq wouldn't HELP...

LE-SHAQ
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Wow!!!! There are a lot of Shaq Hatters in here.
1. Shaq is top5 maybe top3 of active centers. Anytime u add a top5 guy at any position u r a better team.
2. Shaq didn't clog the lane in Miami. And lebron is a much better passer than Wade.
3. This is the best Team Shaq has joined. He wasn't brought in to carry the team. He replaced Ben Wallace our starting Pf (Andy came off the bench b4 Wallace got injured)and Wallace was rebounder and lane player with no offense.
4. Shaq has taken 3 teams to the finals and played in 6 finals three finals MVPs. He's not overatted. He's over hatted
5. The Cavs system is slow down half court offense and team defense. Those are Shaqs strenghths. And Lebron is more like Magic than Jordan he will feed the post and Shaq will love getting those easy baskets. That will keep the bigfella happy and increase Lebrons assist totals which has been the only thing stopping LBJ from averaging a triple double
6. The Cavs have LBJ ,mo,west, andy,and Boobie right at 25 years old. These guys are still improving and after the embarassnment the supporting cast suffered in the ECF. They are motivated to improve.
7. Shaqs watching Kobe win (without him) is motivation to win with Lebron just to diss Kobe. He will impact this team and all u hatters will be asked one question"what does Shaqs butt taste like""

LOL !!!!!!! CAVS biulding a DYNASTY

JordansBulls
07-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Is this a joke or are you serious? Both Kareem and Malone were two of the hardest working and most dedicated athletes of all time in the NBA. They kept in shape and worked hard in the off-season. Shaq? Not so much. That is the difference. Shaq is an older 38 than those two.

BTW--Shaq will have an impact on the Cavaliers next year...just negatively.

Shaq works hard when he needs to.

ManChild
07-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Shaq will help the Cavs. Anyone who has watched numerous Suns games this year will tell you that Shaq played damn good. He is mobile, still dunks with fury, and has a very high basketball IQ. The Suns are a running team and Shaq disrupted the offense and hurt the defense. Cleveland who plays at a very slow pace suits Shaq much better than Phoenix.

certain fool
07-05-2009, 07:07 PM
With Shaq and Ilgauskas in the middle they shouldn't have to ride either one of them very hard. Should be an interesting combination...especially when lbj is catching his breath.

Personally I think its a great pick up. Keeps Ilgauskas rested during the regular season.

And...

It's a one year deal that expires at the right time. So even if it doesn't work...they have a huge asset to pick up some pieces before the deadline.

They get Lebron his ring...I'm sure he sticks around in Cleveland.

magichatnumber9
07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Shaq is a joke. The guy tries to intimidate Bob Ryan on PTI. The guy is a senior citizen.Shaq's ego is to big for quicken loans arena. Once they start doing there dance recitals post victories then Karma will kick in like last season.

superkegger
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Shaq works hard when he needs to.

Yeah, which worked when he was in his prime, and dominant. Not so much when he doesn't have the game or physical ability he used to.

JordansBulls
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah, which worked when he was in his prime, and dominant. Not so much when he doesn't have the game or physical ability he used to.

Well he has always said he wanted to make sure he had more titles than Duncan.

RaysFan
07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Because people focus on what Shaq isn't instead of what he is. Just look at what he is...a Center that averaged 17 and 8 last year. Not bad at all, especially considering he had the #1 FG% in the NBA. Who is a better Center than Shaq right now? An active Center (no Yao)?

1. Dwight Howard
2????
3????
4????

You have to look at PF's that can play Center like Gasol, Garnett, Duncan, etc if you want to find some more.