PDA

View Full Version : What teams have the best fans?

ZebraCity916
07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
What teams have the best fans in the NBA????

The King's, and Warriors have good fans.

What other teams have some good fans????

Also what teams have the worst fans in the NBA????

JiffyMix88
07-04-2009, 03:20 AM
i agree with u on the warriors and also the miami heat have some great fans but orlando has the worst fans soooooo many bandwagon riders down here in orlando

Zefflin
07-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Best fans: Lakers, Utah, Bobcats
Worse fans: Lakers, Boston, Utah

asandhu23
07-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Warriors fans best followed by Jazz and Kings. Boston Celtics and Lakers fans tied for the worst followed by Knicks

Red222
07-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Bulls Knicks for best dont have a worst maybe Memphis and Orlando

bkmikeyy
07-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Warriors fans are probably the best that comes to mind, but how could you put the knicks as worst tho the team has been awful for what seems like forever and they still stick by them lol

asandhu23
07-04-2009, 03:32 AM
Warriors fans are probably the best that comes to mind, but how could you put the knicks as worst tho the team has been awful for what seems like forever and they still stick by them lol

because they are just as rude as lakers or celtics fans. they put the hood in fanhood.

madiaz3
07-04-2009, 03:47 AM
We'll sell out more than just about any playoff team. And our activity on PSD despite our performance the past half decade shows a lot too.

sacgiants1213
07-04-2009, 03:49 AM
warriors have the best fans. Despite the playoff drought, they still sold out. Then when the 'We Believe' came, a lot of people decided to join in on that already amazing fan base.

worst fans are boston... definition of bandwaggon.

GoatMilk
07-04-2009, 03:57 AM
Toronto has a great crowd.
dem Canucks love basketball, eh

nolin
07-04-2009, 04:03 AM
houston has some good ones. boston fans suck though.

Netslunatic76
07-04-2009, 04:10 AM
I guess I'm biased, Nets fans are some of the best. There might not be as many of us as other teams fans, but you have to be pretty damn loyal to stick by a team with the history the Nets have.

Kyle N.
07-04-2009, 04:29 AM
It always seems like the Mavs fans are good. Anybody else think so?

ZebraCity916
07-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Yeah Mavs fans seem pretty good but I remember some bandwaggoners the year they went to the finals.

Boston has the worst fans for sure. The year when they only won like 12 games I remember the Lakers were playing in Boston and the whole crowd (All 2,000 or so of them) were chanting MVP when Kobe was taking free throws.

Lakers fans are all pretty much bandwaggoners too.

DerekRE_3
07-04-2009, 05:22 AM
The Warriors seem to have a loyal fanbase. The Jazz have very passionate fans, sometimes too passionate, but at least you know they love their team.

ZebraCity916
07-04-2009, 05:27 AM
The Warriors seem to have a loyal fanbase. The Jazz have very passionate fans, sometimes too passionate, but at least you know they love their team.

Yeah the Jazz seem to have good fans but that just from what I see on TV. I don't know any Jazz fans personally. I'm sure I will though if they win a ring. HAHA

DerekRE_3
07-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Yeah the Jazz seem to have good fans but that just from what I see on TV. I don't know any Jazz fans personally. I'm sure I will though if they win a ring. HAHA

I went to Energy Solutions Arena to see the Kings play the Jazz in Game 5 of the 1st round during the 1999 playoffs. I was wearing my Chris Webber jersey at the game and got heckled all night...I was only 10.

ZebraCity916
07-04-2009, 05:41 AM
I went to Energy Solutions Arena to see the Kings play the Jazz in Game 5 of the 1st round during the 1999 playoffs. I was wearing my Chris Webber jersey at the game and got heckled all night...I was only 10.

Sounds like some true fans. That sucks though. HAHA.

DCSportsIsPain
07-04-2009, 06:38 AM
This is a very subjective question, but I eliminate having the most fans as automatically meaning a team has the best fans then I throw out the Lakers, the Knicks and the Bulls. I also eliminate merchandise sales since they always go up following championships, as both true and bandwagon fans are racing to buy the Champs merchandise. That would be two strikes for the Lakers and the Bulls. I eliminate markets that have no other major sports teams other than an NBA franchise because who else are they going to support, right Utah and Charlotte and Orlando?

The fans who have suffered the longest and still show up for games are the best fans. That eliminates the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Heat Pistons, Bulls and Rockets, all of whom have seen their teams win at least once, most of them twice in the last 20 years.

Then we have the 76ers (1983), the SuperSonics(1979), the Bullets(1978), the Trail Blazers(1977), and the Warriors(1975), the Knicks(1973) and the Bucks(1971). Then we have the teams that have never won. Those would be the Cavaliers, Magic, Pacers, Jazz, Suns, Hawks, TimberWolves, Hornets, Thunder, Nuggets, Kings, Clippers, Raptors, and Grizzlies. But teams that have been in existence longer without ever winning should be ahead of teams that have only been around for a relatively short time. The Knicks were around in 1946. The Bullets were around in 1947. The Lakers in 1948 but not in Los Angeles. The Pistons in 1949, but not as the Detroit Pistons. I could go on, but I think the point is clear.

So, from all of the above, I have to conclude the NY Knicks have the best fans because they have been supporting those teams from the beginning of the NBA's existence, and their team has gone more than 30 years without a title, yet the fans keep showing up and those teams have never even discussed moving because the market isn't supporting them. Yes, it is a large market. So, the small market teams with the best fans are, in my estimation: Bucks(1971), Warriors(1975), Trail Blazers(1977), Bullets(1978), SuperSonics(1979), 76ers (1983), all of whom continue to support their small market teams enough to keep them from being moved to other markets, and that is with at least one other local professional sports team to compete for fans, Portland possibly excepted.

As far as the teams that have never won, the Cavs and the Magic get tossed out. What NBA fan wouldn't pay to see LeBron and Dwight? Let's see who shows up when those teams are sucking hind tit. The Pacers, Jazz and Suns have all had competitive playoff teams with players worth seeing. Not enough suckage for me to rank them at the top, but enough suckage for me to put them well ahead of most teams fans. The Kings, Clippers and Nuggets are never realistically expected to do anything so their fans get credit for undue pain and suffering. The Timberwolves, Hornets, Thunder, Raptors, and Bobcats and Grizzlies haven't been around long enough to qualify.

Best Fans: It's the NY Knicks.
Most intelligent fans, not so much.

Gnac76
07-04-2009, 07:00 AM
^^^ Way to break that ish down....

But yeah I guess i'd have to go with warriors or knicks just cuz I've heard so much about how passionate their fans are.

worst? idk... like people eluded to its easy to be a fan when ur team wins championships... not so easy when ur team doesnt.. thats all I gotta say about that

magichatnumber9
07-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Worst Fans- any fans who don't support the Magic, Rockets, Lakers, and Celtics. You guys just swarm all the big boy forums crying and moaning and bait because your pathetic owners want your money and have no plans on a championship.

cmellofan15
07-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Every Nuggets fan loves Birdman, he's brought alot of other fans our way too.

NYMetros
07-04-2009, 08:29 AM
worst fans are boston... definition of bandwaggon.

Boston finished 16th in NBA attendance the year they won like 25 games. Not bad for the worst team in the NBA. It's not like they were ranked in the late 20's or something. :shrug:

And what is with all the love for Sacramento? They finished 29th in attendance last year.

Dallas, New York, Chicago have some great basketball gans.

DerekRE_3
07-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Boston finished 16th in NBA attendance the year they won like 25 games. Not bad for the worst team in the NBA. It's not like they were ranked in the late 20's or something. :shrug:

And what is with all the love for Sacramento? They finished 29th in attendance last year.

Dallas, New York, Chicago have some great basketball gans.

When a team wins 17 games and you add in a recession, it's tough to get fans to come. I'm a die hard Kings fan, and it was tough even for me to watch some of those games.

Back when the Kings were good and they were a lot of fun to watch, Arco Arena was the loudest in the league. Even before that, in the 90's when we had Mitch Richmond, the fans were very good even though we were winning less than 30 games a year. Back then the players still put out a lot of effort, an the fans appreciated it. Last year, a lot of the players didn't play as hard as they could of, and a lot of fans noticed, and stopped coming to games.

Trouble87
07-04-2009, 02:17 PM

I agree

Statik1
07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Knicks hands down. You cant get a better crowd then that. They have a very smart crowd and they appreciate good basketball when they see it.

SeoulBeatz
07-04-2009, 02:36 PM
knicks had some pretty loyal fans, im surprised they even show up to the games nowadays.

sixers have some awful fans tbh. bandwagoning *****es, and im not ashamed to admit it.

Blah Blah Blah
07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Bulls (yes i'm bein a lil biased), and warriors. I gotta say Knicks also cuz of all the crap their organization does and yet they still stick by 'em..kinda like fans here in chicago..lol
Boston fans are by far the worst, the definition of bandwagon fans....pitiful...

artest_kobe
07-04-2009, 03:06 PM
best = philadelphia
worst = philadelphia

27atwater
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
This is a very subjective question, but I eliminate having the most fans as automatically meaning a team has the best fans then I throw out the Lakers, the Knicks and the Bulls. I also eliminate merchandise sales since they always go up following championships, as both true and bandwagon fans are racing to buy the Champs merchandise. That would be two strikes for the Lakers and the Bulls. I eliminate markets that have no other major sports teams other than an NBA franchise because who else are they going to support, right Utah and Charlotte and Orlando?

The fans who have suffered the longest and still show up for games are the best fans. That eliminates the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Heat Pistons, Bulls and Rockets, all of whom have seen their teams win at least once, most of them twice in the last 20 years.

Then we have the 76ers (1983), the SuperSonics(1979), the Bullets(1978), the Trail Blazers(1977), and the Warriors(1975), the Knicks(1973) and the Bucks(1971). Then we have the teams that have never won. Those would be the Cavaliers, Magic, Pacers, Jazz, Suns, Hawks, TimberWolves, Hornets, Thunder, Nuggets, Kings, Clippers, Raptors, and Grizzlies. But teams that have been in existence longer without ever winning should be ahead of teams that have only been around for a relatively short time. The Knicks were around in 1946. The Bullets were around in 1947. The Lakers in 1948 but not in Los Angeles. The Pistons in 1949, but not as the Detroit Pistons. I could go on, but I think the point is clear.

So, from all of the above, I have to conclude the NY Knicks have the best fans because they have been supporting those teams from the beginning of the NBA's existence, and their team has gone more than 30 years without a title, yet the fans keep showing up and those teams have never even discussed moving because the market isn't supporting them. Yes, it is a large market. So, the small market teams with the best fans are, in my estimation: Bucks(1971), Warriors(1975), Trail Blazers(1977), Bullets(1978), SuperSonics(1979), 76ers (1983), all of whom continue to support their small market teams enough to keep them from being moved to other markets, and that is with at least one other local professional sports team to compete for fans, Portland possibly excepted.

As far as the teams that have never won, the Cavs and the Magic get tossed out. What NBA fan wouldn't pay to see LeBron and Dwight? Let's see who shows up when those teams are sucking hind tit. The Pacers, Jazz and Suns have all had competitive playoff teams with players worth seeing. Not enough suckage for me to rank them at the top, but enough suckage for me to put them well ahead of most teams fans. The Kings, Clippers and Nuggets are never realistically expected to do anything so their fans get credit for undue pain and suffering. The Timberwolves, Hornets, Thunder, Raptors, and Bobcats and Grizzlies haven't been around long enough to qualify.

Best Fans: It's the NY Knicks.
Most intelligent fans, not so much.

You can't discount the quality of a fanbase just cuz they are lucky enough to have been rooting for a good team? By doing this, you ASSUME they wouldn't show up for games if the teams weren't winning.

Living in PA, I've been to quite a few Cleveland and Washington games when both teams sucked. Their fans did not show up. These 2 teams should be eliminated from the conversation.

Sounds like the Warrior come correct and deserve mad props for that. I'd add SA and Utah to the top tier. Basically, there is nothing else to root for in those cities, so I'm sure they embrace their NBA teams as somewhat of an only child. I am a long time Spurs fan and my aunt used to live in SA. Even when they were average the games I went to were packed. In addition, Utah always seems to be full and a crazy atmosphere.

magichatnumber9
07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Well if you were on this site long enough you would figure it out.

ko8e24
07-04-2009, 03:53 PM
the 2 clipper fans outside of staples center rock!

yuns554
07-04-2009, 04:18 PM
When a team wins 17 games and you add in a recession, it's tough to get fans to come. I'm a die hard Kings fan, and it was tough even for me to watch some of those games.

Back when the Kings were good and they were a lot of fun to watch, Arco Arena was the loudest in the league. Even before that, in the 90's when we had Mitch Richmond, the fans were very good even though we were winning less than 30 games a year. Back then the players still put out a lot of effort, an the fans appreciated it. Last year, a lot of the players didn't play as hard as they could of, and a lot of fans noticed, and stopped coming to games.

So when they are bad no one watches when they are good they sell out that sounds like bandwagon fans to me

shonk688
07-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Portland has good fans.

naztrack
07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
knicks by far, we stick by our team no matter what. we no basketball better than any other fans.

DerekRE_3
07-04-2009, 04:39 PM
So when they are bad no one watches when they are good they sell out that sounds like bandwagon fans to me

Would you pay money to see a team give lackluster effort with the economy the way it is? A lot of people are cutting back on expenses, and I'm sure tickets to an NBA game is one of the first things to go.

http://basketballreference.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=sac&lg=n

From 1989-1997 (the Kings made the playoffs once during that time), the Kings sold out pretty much every game. Yep...definitely bandwagoners.

And if you look at 1985-1988, and you see that we only got about 10,000 fans a game on average, it's because that was at the old Arco Arena, that only had about that many seats in the Arena.

fins08
07-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Heat :)

GrandDaddyPurp
07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
i think most warrior fans are bandwagoners

Drewlius
07-04-2009, 05:05 PM
San Antonio fans are very loyal. You drive around in the city and I promise you at least a 1/5 of the cars have some sort of Spurs sticker on it. Especially around playoff time, the entire city rallies around them.

ZebraCity916
07-04-2009, 11:59 PM
San Antonio fans are very loyal. You drive around in the city and I promise you at least a 1/5 of the cars have some sort of Spurs sticker on it. Especially around playoff time, the entire city rallies around them.

Sounds like Bandwaggoning

goldenstater
07-05-2009, 06:18 PM
because they are just as rude as lakers or celtics fans. they put the hood in fanhood.

us warriors fans are not always the nicest too. knicks fans are pretty loyal fans i have to say. they have not won in like 30 something years and still are at the top of the attendance list every year.

goldenstater
07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
i think most warrior fans are bandwagoners

bandwagon to what, we have not won? you guys went from selling out when you were in the playoffs in the early 2000's to having the worst attandence in the nba this year. who is the bandwagon fans? we had the 8th highest attendance with the 7th worst record in the nba? how are we bandwagon fans were probably the least bandwagon fans in the league.if anything were are sadly too loyal to an owner who is an idiot.

goldenstater
07-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Portland has good fans.

ya actually i agree they are really good fans. i respect the jazz too.

Bruno
07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Lakers have the best and worst fans in pro sports.

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I agree with the Knicks. Even though we have been the laughing stock of the NBA for awhile now, we still have a very strong fanbase. Not many bandwagoners around here.

xBLAMEITON24x
07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
warrior have good fans through good and bad Boston fans have to be the worst.

likemystylez
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM

didnt the knicks fans just boo their own first round pick on draft day??? way to make the guy feel like crap on the biggest day of his life.... yeah real classy fan base.

likemystylez
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Would you pay money to see a team give lackluster effort with the economy the way it is? A lot of people are cutting back on expenses, and I'm sure tickets to an NBA game is one of the first things to go.

It depdnds, if they are not going to games because of the economy or not going because the team is bad.
http://basketballreference.com/teams/teamatt.htm?tm=sac&lg=n

From 1989-1997 (the Kings made the playoffs once during that time), the Kings sold out pretty much every game. Yep...definitely bandwagoners.

And if you look at 1985-1988, and you see that we only got about 10,000 fans a game on average, it's because that was at the old Arco Arena, that only had about that many seats in the Arena.

Kings have good fans though. I remember they use to drive to Oakland to watch the warriors kings games.

vick27m
07-05-2009, 07:48 PM
worst are la and boston

dee279
07-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Heat is the best.

dee279
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Lakers got the worse. They goin to win a championship and start hurtin people. SMH

NYtilIdie
07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
NYK and GS have great fans despite both of our teams being terrible we still cheer them on. Yeah NYK fans are a little rude on the NBA forums, but if you visit the NYK forum we have intelligent discussions and are laid back.

Worst are LAL and Bos. If you say anything about a team or a player being the best in the league LAL fans will start a 10 page argument how were wrong and their right and won't stop until you get a headache and get off. They basically say the same thing over and over for 10 pages.

Bos fans are bandwagoners they hated Ainge and Doc and wanted them fired 2 yrs ago, then a yr later Ainge is god and Doc should be COY. Somebody had a before and after sig the before side had C fans with bags over their heads then the after had a fan sign saying "Celtics #1" or something like that.

And both got extremely cocky after winning the championship.

ZebraCity916
07-06-2009, 01:10 AM
bandwagon to what, we have not won? you guys went from selling out when you were in the playoffs in the early 2000's to having the worst attandence in the nba this year. who is the bandwagon fans? we had the 8th highest attendance with the 7th worst record in the nba? how are we bandwagon fans were probably the least bandwagon fans in the league.if anything were are sadly too loyal to an owner who is an idiot.

Arco didn't sellout because of the injuries and MAJOR coaching problems they had this past year. HORRIBLE coach that no Kings fan wanted. Thats the reason they did so bad. The Warriors had good attendance cause they have a good coach and the fans actually have something to root for. The Kings didn't really have anything to root for this past season but the 1st pick in the draft. (Which they didn't even get)

uncleben989
07-06-2009, 01:42 AM
BEST - Kings/Raps/Jazz
WORST - redsox fans (oops i mean celtics)

SweetSwivels
07-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Currently, I would have to say the BEST fans are the Warriors fans.... That place is mad crazy no matter what the record is....

Back a few years I would say Jazz/Kings. The Jazz/Kings playoff series were off the chain because no matter which building you were in, it was like the roof was going to pop off! Incredible atmospheres...

ZebraCity916
07-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Yeah I know it's a homer thing to say but I think the King's have great fans along with the Jazz and Warriors.

S-Dot
07-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Knicks

WoodbridgeSkins
07-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Wizards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvIoNdOM9s

That old man rocks it at every game.