PDA

View Full Version : Turkoglu a Raptor

Macedonian
07-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Raptors reach deal with Turkoglu (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/raptors-reach-deal-with-turkoglu/article1206439/)

In a sudden rush at the end of a frenzied week, the Toronto Raptors have remade their roster and signed free-agent forward Hedo Turkoglu, The Globe and Mail has confirmed.
The versatile Orlando Magic forward appeared poised to sign with the Portland Trail Blazers until a late bid by the Raptors -- in excess of $50-million over five seasons for the 30 year-old -- caused the change of heart, even as Turkoglu was in Portland visiting with the Trail Blazers.
Turkoglu had agreed on a five-year, $50-million (all currency U.S.) deal with the Blazers, but will sign with the Raptors for more than $10-million a season. Signing Turkoglu means the Raptors will have to renounce their rights to their existing free agents – Shawn Marion, Carlos Delfino and Anthony Parker – to create the cap space for Turkoglu.
Turkoglu’s agent, Lon Babby, didn’t immediately return calls from The Globe and Mail and the Raptors would not comment. ESPN.com first reported yesterday that Turkoglu had agreed to join the Trail Blazers after helping the Orlando Magic reach the NBA final this season. The team won't be able to officially confirm the deal until the July 8th.
The other Raptor consideration, Trevor Ariza, is headed to the Houston Rockets.
Turkoglu, a 6-foot-10 forward, opted out of his Orlando contract last week when the team acquired Vince Carter from New Jersey. Turkoglu averaged 16.8 points and 5.3 rebounds a game last season. In the final, he averaged 18 points against the champion Los Angeles Lakers.
The nine-year NBA veteran from Turkey reportedly favoured Toronto because of the city’s international makeup. Due $7.3-million (all currency U.S.) next season in the final year of his $36-million, six-year deal with Orlando, he was said to be seeking a long-term deal worth nearly $10-million annually.
The Raptors also reportedly considered extending a five-year deal for about $39-million to Ariza. Instead, the Lakers’ swingman agreed to a five-year, $33.5-million deal with Houston on Thursday.
Ariza went to Houston just as Ron Artest decided to leave and play for the Lakers. Ariza is likely to take Artest’s spot in the Rockets’ starting lineup.
The 6-foot-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season. The 24-year-old Ariza earned $3.1-million last season and boosted his value during the playoffs by averaging 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists.
Ariza was acquired by the Lakers in a trade from Orlando in November of 2007. He just completed his fifth NBA season after being drafted by the New York Knicks with the 43rd overall pick in 2004.
In other NBA news, the Boston Celtics offered Detroit forward Rasheed Wallace a contract yesterday, according to the Boston Globe.
The 35-year-old Wallace can play the low post and also has exceptional shooting range. He averaged 12 points a game for the Detroit Pistons last year. Wallace earned $13.68-million last season as he finished up a five-year contract. Teams pursuing Wallace now would be offering the mid-level exception, worth between $5.6-million and $5.8-million.
In Los Angeles, Phil Jackson will return to coach the Lakers next season, getting a clean bill of health following a record championship season.
The Hall of Fame coach turns 64 in September and said on the team’s website yesterday he got the go-ahead for another season after consulting the team doctor.
Jackson led the Lakers to their 15th NBA championship and his 10th title in June, breaking the mark he shared with the late Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach.
“I feel confident that I can gainfully pursue an NBA season with another long playoff postseason,” he said. “All things point to go”
He signed a two-year contract extension last season and holds the option on a second year. Last season, Jackson missed two West Coast road games because of pain and swelling in his lower legs caused by plantar fasciitis, a problem he had checked out. He blamed late-night flights that aggravated the condition.
He has undergone two hip replacement operations since October of 2006 – using a cane at various times – and walks with a noticeable hitch in his step. He underwent an angioplasty in 2003 to open a clogged artery in his heart.
Jackson became the Lakers’ coach in 1999, and guided the team to NBA titles in each of his first three seasons. He left after the 2003-04 season but returned the following season.
Jackson coached the Chicago Bulls to six championships in the 1990s. His .705 regular-season winning percentage is tops in league history and his 1,041 victories are sixth best.

Source (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/raptors-reach-deal-with-turkoglu/article1206439/)

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 12:00 AM
As a raps fan, I am very excited..

Gibby23
07-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Does this mean the Marion deal is off?

Hustla23
07-04-2009, 12:04 AM
lol 10+ million for Turkoglu?

For a 30 year old?

Good job Toronto.

This move ensures playoffs sure, but in no way does it make you a contender.

mark1125
07-04-2009, 12:05 AM
5 years?!?!? Wow. Considering Bosh is a goner next year, hat is steep for a team that likely won't be in contention.

icon1914
07-04-2009, 12:07 AM
"Show me the money!!!!" Turk......

Good move for the Raps, but three years in the future they will be begging for someone to take over his contract.

Macedonian
07-04-2009, 12:09 AM
A source says Turkoglu's wife wanted badly to live in Toronto, a far more European-style city, and that's where it appears the Turkish native is headed. The Raptors have embraced the Euro game under GM Bryan Colangelo, building a roster that includes Euro talents Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani.lol

toovey107
07-04-2009, 12:09 AM
wow i stopped reading that after 2 lines

basically a w.e move in my opinion , its not like the raptors are going to be contenders

and Hedo is 30 , so eh

Living Legend
07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Toronto + Hedo = meh

500 Level
07-04-2009, 12:11 AM
WTF! *shakes head*

Boris Diaw anyone contract anyone?

Statik1
07-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Espn news just said he is going to accept the Raptors deal

Raph12
07-04-2009, 12:13 AM
yup the Marion deal is off, meaning teams pursuing Sheed, will now be in the hunt of Marion also. Orl, Bos, Cle and Sas, whoever signs Sheed, the other three will attempt to sign Marion I'm guessing. Orl may do a sign-and-trade with Gortat for Bass so they might look to use the MLE with the sign-and-trade (for Bass) to get Bass and Sheed, or Bass and Marion, or just one of the two (Marion and Sheed) with the MLE or just the sign-and-trade for Bass

Statik1
07-04-2009, 12:14 AM
As a Laker fan I am happy he went to the Raptors and not to the Blazers. We dont need that team to get any better!

D Roses Bulls
07-04-2009, 12:14 AM
5 years?!?!? Wow. Considering Bosh is a goner next year, hat is steep for a team that likely won't be in contention.

chris bosh i would like to be the first one to say WELCOME TO CHICAGO

PaleHose
07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Considering that this will be their last season with Chris Bosh... I guess this is their way of taking "a run" at the title.

abe_froman
well marion's gone

i think it helps them make the playoffs.but the big question on everyone's mind is whats this mean in regards to bosh(is it enough to keep him happy and there?)

PaleHose

:hi5:

abe_froman
07-04-2009, 12:17 AM

jumping the gun alittle quick there arent you

500 Level
07-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Is it possible we do a sign and trade with Orlando?

Freshed
07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
im not too sure about this .. this is a risky signing, too bad the raptors didnt get to sign trevor ariza!

shas
07-04-2009, 12:22 AM

this is the MAIN reason why they made this move, only to try and make bosh happy so he wont leave.

abe_froman
07-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Chicago fans are the most dellusional in the league.

:laugh2: i dunno about most,but they can be

500 Level
07-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Is it possible the reason the Marion stuff was happening the same day was because there is a sign and trade? Marion and Humps or something. It would work salary wise.

Raph12
07-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Is it possible we do a sign and trade with Orlando?

A sign-and-trade for Marion would be great, depending on how much Marion expects if it's anything over 5-6m than thanks but no thanks, rather do the sign-and-trade with Dallas for Bass and offer the MLE to other free agents like Sheed, or split it to get a couple of other FAs like Barnes and/or Hill (lol would be weird to have him back after all these years)

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Rich Bucher of ESPN talks about Toronto signing Turk. Its about 4 mins long.

Cheers

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4305488&categoryid=2459788

Apparently the difference in the offers is only 2 million. Thats less than the 6 that was reported. Looks like Turk liked the multiculturalism of Toronto, money was not an issue why he picked toronto

shas
07-04-2009, 12:25 AM
BOSH is a happy man.

http://twitter.com/chrisbosh

GSW fan
07-04-2009, 12:26 AM
doesnt mean anything for making a title run, but should be fun to watch

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 12:26 AM
this is the MAIN reason why they made this move, only to try and make bosh happy so he wont leave.

Bosh Via Twitter loves the deal apparently..

500 Level
07-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Seems to me it's pretty logical that Marion would fit in their lineup. For **** sakes I hope it's a sign and trade. Even if it was just with that extra 3 Million we have kicking around.

Grim Reaper
07-04-2009, 12:29 AM
If he would have signed with Portland that would have been a very good team with Brandon Roy, Hedo Turkoglu, Greg Oden, and LaMarcus Aldridge. That would have been a very scary team for the next 4 years or so. Toronto should be pretty good with Jose Calderon, Hedo Turkoglu, and Chris Bosh next year though.

abe_froman
07-04-2009, 12:30 AM
doesnt mean anything for making a title run, but should be fun to watch

enough to make playoffs in the east..and bosh happy(maybe?)

yanksknicksgmen
07-04-2009, 12:32 AM
raptors should be about the 6th seed in east now

aman_13
07-04-2009, 12:32 AM
BOSH is a happy man.

http://twitter.com/chrisbosh

HAHA take that Chicago and New York, Bosh is happy.....lol.

Trouble87
07-04-2009, 12:33 AM
I wont believe this till Hedo is taking a pic with a Raps jersey

Signing him for that much is ridiculous... Hedo has been a bum w/ talent for the majority of his career.

Two good/productive years and a great playoff performance makes you worthy of a 50 million dollar salary?

Then there's his age... I wont even get started on that

---------------------------------------

On a side note... at least the Raps can't afford Lee :up:

juggla53
07-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I think hedo will thrive in toronto, much more then he would've in portland. For the people saying its a bad deal what do you expect the raps to do just sit there with the same mediocre team and watch bosh leave in 2010? or atleast sign some good players to build a team that bosh may consider comeing back to, and the fact that hedo is 30 i think means a lot less then it does for a lot of players because his game isnt built around athleticism he gets it done with shooting and a great basketball IQ so while its not a great thing hes already 30 i dont think its as bad news as it would be for most other guys. I could see him putting up 20 a game next year and helping the raps to win a first round seris however they deffinatley arent ready to contend with cleveland orlando and boston quite yet

aman_13
07-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I think hedo will thrive in toronto, much more then he would've in portland. For the people saying its a bad deal what do you expect the raps to do just sit there with the same mediocre team and watch bosh leave in 2010? or atleast sign some good players to build a team that bosh may consider comeing back to, and the fact that hedo is 30 i think means a lot less then it does for a lot of players because his game isnt built around athleticism he gets it done with shooting and a great basketball IQ so while its not a great thing hes already 30 i dont think its as bad news as it would be for most other guys. I could see him putting up 20 a game next year and helping the raps to win a first round seris however they deffinatley arent ready to contend with cleveland orlando and boston quite yet

Thank you...well said. :clap:

Raph12
07-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Seems to me it's pretty logical that Marion would fit in their lineup. For **** sakes I hope it's a sign and trade. Even if it was just with that extra 3 Million we have kicking around.

If Marion will accept 6m or less then I'm sure Orlando will take it, but anything over 6m and they can get Bass for less and Bass is younger so he would be a good prospect. But Marion to Orlando will be awesome think about the starting 5:
PG-Nelson
SG-Carter
SF-Lewis
PF-Marion (Maybe Sheed or Bass also)
C-Dwight SUPERMAN Howard

Storch
07-04-2009, 12:47 AM
cha chingggggggg

See ariza, if ur gona be disloyal to the franchise that made u famous you do it with style just like turk.

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 12:49 AM
cha chingggggggg

See ariza, if ur gona be disloyal to the franchise that made u famous you do it with style just like turk.

Turk did nothing wrong what so ever. Its a business, he is out to do what is best for him.. like anyone else would do.

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 12:51 AM
thank you jesus

JordansBulls
07-04-2009, 12:56 AM
So this means to me that Hedo cares more about money.

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 01:02 AM
So this means to me that Hedo cares more about money.

No not really, the difference in cash was only 2 million. Raps offered 5 years 52 million, Blazers offered 5 years 50 million. It was about the city and the multiculturalism. See link below. Watch first few mins...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4305488&categoryid=2459788

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
I think this is great considering we can barely get past teh first round.

KB24PG16
07-04-2009, 01:15 AM
hedo just wanted to get paid he doesnt care about winning

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 01:16 AM
hedo just wanted to get paid he doesnt care about winning

read post 43.. It was not about the money at all..

Gibby23
07-04-2009, 01:22 AM

Signing him for that much is ridiculous... Hedo has been a bum w/ talent for the majority of his career.

Two good/productive years and a great playoff performance makes you worthy of a 50 million dollar salary?

He also sucked in the Finals, Ariza was the better player for the last 2 games. This wont really make the raps better. Hedo wont be handling the ball because they have JC but whatever makes them happy.

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 01:27 AM
He also sucked in the Finals, Ariza was the better player for the last 2 games. This wont really make the raps better. Hedo wont be handling the ball because they have JC but whatever makes them happy.

Actually no he did not suck in the finals. He actually posted his highs in the finla round, he shot .49% from the field, .43% from three, highest average of points per game etc.. Check your starts... Here you go.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hidayet_turkoglu/

blackjack_119
07-04-2009, 01:39 AM
As a Blazer fan, I am ecstatic. As good as the Blazers offense would have been with him, DEFENSE wins championships. Blake, Roy, Turkoglu and Aldridge would have been a terrible defensive core.

Epic89
07-04-2009, 01:46 AM
What a little ****. I would absolutely hate that man if I were a Blazers fan.

KB24PG16
07-04-2009, 02:24 AM
read post 43.. It was not about the money at all..

the link led me too manny ramirez highlights :laugh2: but i assume though that he went there so his wife would be happy and because there is a high populations of turks too. makes sense i guess. but he doesnt care about winning anymore.

KB24PG16
07-04-2009, 02:24 AM
i wonder if the blazers would go after marion or odom since they lost out on hedo

sargon21
07-04-2009, 02:32 AM
this means bosh is more likely to stay in toronto cuz management showed him they wanna win and trying to better their team

Er1c
07-04-2009, 02:44 AM
lol....

BRICKCITYPIMP12
07-04-2009, 02:47 AM
yes he is..haha its crazy.

prash
07-04-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm losing respect for BC. Terrible addition... 1) He's not that talented. 2) He's over-paid. 3) We're stuck with him for the next 5 years cuz no team is going to be stupid enough to take on this contract.

More bad decision making by the Raps.

magikmc
07-04-2009, 02:55 AM
there is a possibility that this could be a sign and trade with Orlando as stated on CBS. If thats the case, the raps COULD be a contender, if they managed to still keep Marion because of the S&T i think this would be a tough lineup to face..

Bargnani
Bosh
Marion
Turkoglu
Calderon

ggg
07-04-2009, 02:58 AM
im happy for toronto, good job going euro. not contenders for now but its gonna interesting.

browntown
07-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Im glad... i was pissed b4 when they reported that the blazers got him or w.e hedo is gross and we need someone that can create his own shot.in the words of Rupaul aka chris bosh "IF IT'S TRUE..Let's get it cracking H Turk!!!"

browntown
07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Demar seems happy too "Is Hudo really coming to T Dot? Really hope so!"
http://twitter.com/demar_derozan

browntown
07-04-2009, 03:08 AM
is it me or does demar need hooked on phonix lol

More shats!
07-04-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm losing respect for BC. Terrible addition... 1) He's not that talented. 2) He's over-paid. 3) We're stuck with him for the next 5 years cuz no team is going to be stupid enough to take on this contract.

More bad decision making by the Raps.

You sure about that?

browntown
07-04-2009, 03:11 AM
is it me or does Demar need hooked on phonix? lol

x_notorious
07-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Thank you Toronto for stealing Turkey glue from Portland. A Blazer team w/ Hedo would have made some noise out West, IMO.

Zefflin
07-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Yeah ^^, I like him better with the Raps too...(lots of euros)

Mile High Champ
07-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Great move for the raptors, Calderon, DeRozen, Turk, Bosh and Bargnani should be very interesting this year..

cmellofan15
07-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Now we still have the best shot to win division :cheers:

blujaysrock
07-04-2009, 08:48 AM
IF we can't bring back parker or delfino that would leave us with Derozan starting :clap:

young_soldier
07-04-2009, 09:19 AM

obviously the move was to placate bosh into resigning with us in 2010.

young_soldier
07-04-2009, 09:23 AM

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAH sorry guys, its just, coming from a new york sports fan, this comment is outrageous.

WHat right do you have to insult our raptors when the Yankees and Mets splurge every year on free agents?

When the Knicks are going to splurge on Lebron, Wade, and Bosh (Torontos Own All Star)

Agar81
07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
chicago fans are so stupid. Bosh has not hinted once that he wants to go to the Bulls, so why are you guys so convinced hes coming. Im just curious to hear why...

Durant is hype
07-04-2009, 09:58 AM
IF we can't bring back parker or delfino that would leave us with Derozan starting :clap:

That would be the iceing on the cake....... Although we still need more depth.

heyman321
07-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Raptors are going to need to be lucky to get min salary guys to fill out their bench.

CelticsPride
07-04-2009, 10:07 AM
A good move for the Raptors. They are now a playoff contender with Bosh Hedo and Calderon and possibly Marion even though I think they will not have enough cap room to resign him. However still with this move they still have a lot of work to go to be a title contender and would have to make at least a couple more moves to even be mentioned in that elite group or even as a darkhorse. I like it though and it give the Celtics something to think about in theAtlantic.

Ragun
07-04-2009, 10:20 AM
we can still resign marion, we have bird rights.

LanceUpperCut
07-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I find it funny how a lot of you thought it was a great move by Portland and now 2 million diffrence and cause hes with the hated Canadian team it's a horrible move. I wish some of you idiots would just come to TO. Hedo welcome to the best weed and beer in the world.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Wally Szczerbiak all over again. An over paid, over the top player.

La11
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM

You Coming from a Knicks Fan..thats just f***ing hilarious lol..Too bad the number 23 wont be wore by lebron next year

mark1125
07-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I find it funny how a lot of you thought it was a great move by Portland and now 2 million diffrence and cause hes with the hated Canadian team it's a horrible move. I wish some of you idiots would just come to TO. Hedo welcome to the best weed and beer in the world.

I wasn't a fan of Hedo regardless of who he signed with. Not a horrible signing, but 5 years is a bit long IMO, but I guess you had to offer it to make sure he would jump ship.

A lot of poeple criticize teams that seem to overpay for players. The reality for teams like Toronto, Indiana, Memphis, Detroit, etc. etc is that they have to overpay or give a longer deal to get someone to come to our teams as opposed to the trendy spots like Miami, LA, etc.

Not a great signing, but not bad. They are trying to keep Bosh and I can't fault them for that. I just am not sure if Hedo is enough to do that.

mjt20mik
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I wasn't a fan of Hedo regardless of who he signed with. Not a horrible signing, but 5 years is a bit long IMO, but I guess you had to offer it to make sure he would jump ship.

A lot of poeple criticize teams that seem to overpay for players. The reality for teams like Toronto, Indiana, Memphis, Detroit, etc. etc is that they have to overpay or give a longer deal to get someone to come to our teams as opposed to the trendy spots like Miami, LA, etc.

Not a great signing, but not bad. They are trying to keep Bosh and I can't fault them for that. I just am not sure if Hedo is enough to do that.

How does a 5 year 52 million dollar contract compare to a 5 year 50 million. It was said that Hedo is basically coming here because of the city.

P.I.
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM

did you even follow the magics in the playoffs?

What's up with people complaining about money, Its about time Toronto spends that much other than Bosh. I swear everyone thought JO was worth it beginning of the season regardless of his injury prone status.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
did you even follow the magics in the playoffs?

What's up with people complaining about money, Its about time Toronto spends that much other than Bosh. I swear everyone thought JO was worth it beginning of the season regardless of his injury prone status.

Szczerbiak was like that before too. Where is he now? You think Truk is still going to average 15, 5 and 5 3-5 years from now. Hell 15, 5 and 5 isn't even worth 10 million.

prash
07-04-2009, 12:30 PM
You sure about that?

He's a relatively low percentage shooter. He's a so-so passer by the numbers.

His PER is pretty low.

I agree.

blazerman
07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
What a weird day to be a Blazer fan,haha!

First off, congratulations to Toronto, I hope your team does well with Hedo and he gives you fans a lot to cheer about, except against my Blazers(just kidding).

Yesterday it was a given with the news confirming he had signed, espn and my computer so I posted a few things then shut down my computer for the day. Now I turn it on and the first thing I see is Hedo split the scene in Portland, oh well. Blazer fans were 50-50 on him anyway for some reason( I was down for him being a Blazer though).

For not being a strong offseason in a lot of peoples opinion this has already had some interesting twists with Rubio, Artest and Ariza, Shaq, Hedo opting out and the Magic instantly replacing him then Agreeing with Portland then finally settling on Toronto. Wild I tell ya!

Anyway congratulation Raptors!

JOSKOMANG4
07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Trade Proposals:

Houston and Toronto

- Rockets acquire C/PF Chris Bosh and PG Marcus Banks from Raptors in exchange for SG Tracy Mcgrady, 2010 1st rd pick & 2011 1st rd pick.

Why this works?

Raptors: Relinquish the contract of Marcus Banks is a definite necessity by the Raptors... So disregarding the Banks dealing.. it was basically Bosh for Mcgrady and 2 1st rd picks. Mcgrady is costly, a lil under 21 mill this season, but its only for one year. With extra money for 2010 free agent class.

Rockets: Acquire the big Texan. With the possibility of Yao being hurt.. and now the trading of T-mac... the Rockets look to the new regime of Chris bosh(for possibly just 1 year unless they resign him) and free agent acquisition, Trevor Ariza.

Lineup Projections:

Raptors:

C: Andrea Bargnani/Nathan Jawai*/Patrick O'Bryant
PF: Reggie Evans/Kris Humphries
SF: Hedo Turkoglu/Joey Graham
SG: Tracy McgradyDeMar DeRozan
PG: Jose Calderon/Roko Ukic

Rockets:

C: Yao Ming/Luis Scola/Joey Dorsey
PF: Chris Bosh/Chuck Hayes/Carl Landry/Brian Cook
SF: Shane Battier/Brian Cook/Chase Budinger
SG:Trevor Ariza/Brent Barry/Jermaine Taylor
PG: Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry/Marcus Banks

RaptorsFanatic
07-04-2009, 01:27 PM
As a Raptors devotee for the past 10 years, I am truly, utterly disappointed with this acquisition.

With that money, we could have gotten 3 solid contributers, for example:
Kleiza, Marion, and resign Parker, Delfino, Joey G, and maybe Pops.

S5: Bosh, Calderon, Marion, Bargnani, Derozan
Bench: Kleiza, Parker, Joey G, Evans, Ukic,Banks, Pops, Delfino, Douby?

Definately a good solid team around.

Comparatively:
S5: Bosh, Calderon, Bargnani, Hedo, Derozan
Bench: Evans,Ukic, Banks, Hump, Douby,

Definately a stronger 5, but bench is so weak.

IMAGINE: Kleiza, Parker, and Delfino coming from the bench????..Deadly.
Contender.

BC, you fail to impress me again.

Legitimate
07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I for one am very pleased with this signing. We needed to take some pressure off of Bosh. I say this signing makes Bosh more happier than if we had signed Marion. As a rap fan i'm sick of scrub players on the side of my fave nba player!

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 02:20 PM
chicago fans are so stupid. Bosh has not hinted once that he wants to go to the Bulls, so why are you guys so convinced hes coming. Im just curious to hear why...

They may also be Cubs fan, they Still think they can win. Can you Blame them? lol

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
He's a relatively low percentage shooter. He's a so-so passer by the numbers.

He shot 41% last year, and 35+ for treys :eyebrow:

Highlight
07-04-2009, 02:26 PM
How does a 5 year 52 million dollar contract compare to a 5 year 50 million. It was said that Hedo is basically coming here because of the city.

I agree with a previous poster who said: Teams in small marktes have to overpay for big free agents. <--- That's just the way it works.

Just to clarify something, but according to multiple sources, Hedo signed a deal closer to 5 years 60 million.

Supposedly his wife loves it in Toronto, rather than Portland, but regarldess, Hedo got paid.

The Raptors offer to Hedo Turkoglu will pay him more than $60 million over five years, according to David Aldridge on NBA.com.
That figure is significantly higher than earlier reports, which pegged his salary closer to $56 million. Either way, the Raptors must renounce a host of their own free agents, including Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker and Carlos Delfino (and potentially Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Jake Voskuhl). The deal can't become official until Wednesday, and it's possible Toronto will clear space via a few sign-and-trades before then.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/03/hedo.deal/index.html

Bob_at_york
07-04-2009, 02:30 PM
As a Raptors devotee for the past 10 years, I am truly, utterly disappointed with this acquisition.

With that money, we could have gotten 3 solid contributers, for example:
Kleiza, Marion, and resign Parker, Delfino, Joey G, and maybe Pops.

People keep talking about how a bunch of dominoes had to fall for this to happen. They keep assuming that the dominoes are the S&T but I think they are this:

1) Hedo leaves the Magic.
2) Marion does not want to return to the Raptors.
3) Parker seems lukewarm to Raptors.
4) Hedo's first choice is the Raptors.

We know 1 and 4 are true, I think #2 is definitely true and #3... I am not sure. I don't think BC would go after Hedo unless he knows that Marion does not want to come back. So yes, he could pass on Hedo but he might end up with neither player.

LiamMcGuire
07-04-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/jaysfan67/194676

abe_froman
07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
team to beat?thats laughable

but they will make the playoffs

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 03:13 PM
team to beat?thats laughable

but they will make the playoffs

They are not as bad as people make them out to be.

DaoudS
07-04-2009, 03:14 PM
a bit of self promotion there, liam?

abe_froman
07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
They are not as bad as people make them out to be.

no,they are not;which is why i have them in the playoffs.

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I think Hedo's clutchness can lead us *hopefully* into the second round.

Jays Claw
07-04-2009, 03:22 PM
They have to prove themselves by winning games in order to be called a team to beat.

27atwater
07-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I know that I'm gonna get my passport so I can watch em a few times next season.

ink
07-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Read Bruce Arthur in the National Post or Tim Chisholm at TSN. Good articles about this.

Bob_at_york
07-04-2009, 03:41 PM

I hope you plan on contributing more to PSD then just linking to your own blog.

geoffizfoshiz
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
WWWWAYYYY to much money.

Why would you make a 50+ million dollar commitment when the biggest free agency period in NBA history is coming up next summer? It's not like they are going to win a title with this team next year, so they should have packed it in and prepared for free agency 2010. Hedo is a very good player, but he's not the answer to the raptors problems - not for THAT kind of money. There is not a chance they keep Marion now.

AFlagRules
07-04-2009, 03:47 PM
1. This gives the Raptors a late game shot maker.
2. We have virtually no defense left in our starting lineup.
3. This team is going to be nuts.

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
WWWWAYYYY to much money.

Why would you make a 50+ million dollar commitment when the biggest free agency period in NBA history is coming up next summer? It's not like they are going to win a title with this team next year, so they should have packed it in and prepared for free agency 2010. Hedo is a very good player, but he's not the answer to the raptors problems - not for THAT kind of money. There is not a chance they keep Marion now.

The same money _OTHER_ teams would have paid, anyway.

MaHaRaJaH
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
1. This gives the Raptors a late game shot maker.
2. We have virtually no defense left in our starting lineup.
3. This team is going to be nuts.

Esp since we give up 4th quarter leads.

Bob_at_york
07-04-2009, 03:54 PM
WWWWAYYYY to much money.

what purpose is the cap space next summer if we lose Bosh? BC has to try and make him happy here. Not sure if this works but he is trying.

LiamMcGuire
07-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh crap, I meant to post my own thread. OOPS. :clap:

heyman321
07-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh crap, I meant to post my own thread. OOPS. :clap:

you definitely did, I think it got merged though.

Rhino
07-04-2009, 10:32 PM
So he basically uses Portland to get what he and his wife really want Toronto. IMO this was almost a huge mistake by Pritchard. Good signing by Toronto and even better not signing by the Blazers. Portland needs a better PG and see what they have in Webster before they overpay for a player who only plays hard when his contract is up, again this is only my opinion and no knock on the Raptors.

superkegger
07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
that bosh-hedo pick and roll is going to be impossible to defend.

ink
07-05-2009, 12:46 AM
that bosh-hedo pick and roll is going to be impossible to defend.

Can you expand on that?

superkegger
07-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Can you expand on that?

well we saw how good hedo was on the pick and roll with dwight. while bosh isn't the monster at the rim like dwight is, he has better overall skills and range. he can pick and pop, pick and roll, and what not. dwight got quite a few good looks from that pick and roll with hedo because of hedo's ability to see over the defnese, getting dwight open looks, and that shouldn't change with bosh. but with bosh, like i said, he isn't limited to shots from just in the paint.

It will be similar to the Pau and Kobe pick and roll, which the lakers didnt use enough, but still, it's pretty damn near unguardable, and bosh and hedo, with some time, will get it down, and will be so deadly off of it, espcially with guys like bargs and calderon able to stretch the defense with that pick and roll. It will really open up the raptors offense IMO.

*Superman*
07-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Why? because its a enemy to PSD? Thats wack it was a good article.

ink
07-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Why? because its a enemy to PSD? Thats wack it was a good article.

It's a business, man. We're not running a forum over here to drive traffic over there. Maybe you're not aware that if posters here spam other sites they can be banned. Just FYI so it doesn't happen to anyone here.

ink
07-05-2009, 01:48 AM
well we saw how good hedo was on the pick and roll with dwight. while bosh isn't the monster at the rim like dwight is, he has better overall skills and range. he can pick and pop, pick and roll, and what not. dwight got quite a few good looks from that pick and roll with hedo because of hedo's ability to see over the defnese, getting dwight open looks, and that shouldn't change with bosh. but with bosh, like i said, he isn't limited to shots from just in the paint.

It will be similar to the Pau and Kobe pick and roll, which the lakers didnt use enough, but still, it's pretty damn near unguardable, and bosh and hedo, with some time, will get it down, and will be so deadly off of it, espcially with guys like bargs and calderon able to stretch the defense with that pick and roll. It will really open up the raptors offense IMO.

Good explanation. Thanks. What do you think about his D and his rebounding?

Eagles4Lyfe
07-05-2009, 01:53 AM
wowwww amazingggggggg dealll..This idea at first i thgout was awful but if you think about it if bosh leaves next year..We have money to spend and all we need should be a true defensive center and bench playerss..A core of calderon turk derozan bargs is pretty amazing to start of with then adding a defensive big man and a nasty bench would just be too insane...Look out raps are coming..OO and age really doesnt matter untill they are like near 35 36..Which is when his contract ends..But i still feel we can beat the magic and are better than the celts..Celtics are falling apart fast rumouring rando and allen on the move only ruins chemistry...But this also helps save lakers now thats 2 legit contenders the rockets and blazers not significantly improving yet..Nuggets are only team still thats scarey

superkegger
07-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Good explanation. Thanks. What do you think about his D and his rebounding?

turks?

Average. His D is nothing special. He's kinda slow for NBA standards, not that strong, and just really isn't a guy who routinely steps up the the challenge on defense. His rebounding is decent I guess. It's hard to know really, with him just simply not having to worry about it that much, wich Dwight there. I suppose for a "small" forward it's a bit above average, and playing on the raptors, he could very well be their third leading rebounder, as bargs isn't all that good, and bosh is decent, but not a big time rebound grabber. Though Evans should help their rebounds. I don't see his rebounding role and numbers chaning a whole lot rebounding wise.

And now that I think about it, not only will his pick and roll with bosh be super deadly, the pick and pop with bargs could be just as killer, as you have to respect the outside shot of both hedo and bargs, and if they are hitting that shot, it will require a 3rd player to roll that way, which will leave bosh or calderon open. Really, Hedo should open their offense up quite a bit, because, well, he's exactly what they've lacked since vince (like it or not), a wing player who can create for himself or others, and hedo can do that.

toronto_JazzFan
07-05-2009, 11:08 AM

well check out bosh twitter on youll know how he feels about the signing

toronto_JazzFan
07-05-2009, 11:09 AM
turks?

Average. His D is nothing special. He's kinda slow for NBA standards, not that strong, and just really isn't a guy who routinely steps up the the challenge on defense. His rebounding is decent I guess. It's hard to know really, with him just simply not having to worry about it that much, wich Dwight there. I suppose for a "small" forward it's a bit above average, and playing on the raptors, he could very well be their third leading rebounder, as bargs isn't all that good, and bosh is decent, but not a big time rebound grabber. Though Evans should help their rebounds. I don't see his rebounding role and numbers chaning a whole lot rebounding wise.

And now that I think about it, not only will his pick and roll with bosh be super deadly, the pick and pop with bargs could be just as killer, as you have to respect the outside shot of both hedo and bargs, and if they are hitting that shot, it will require a 3rd player to roll that way, which will leave bosh or calderon open. Really, Hedo should open their offense up quite a bit, because, well, he's exactly what they've lacked since vince (like it or not), a wing player who can create for himself or others, and hedo can do that.

well said, your making raptor fans happy rite now lol