PDA

View Full Version : Bulls Score More PTS Without Ben Gordon

amh1279
07-02-2009, 07:23 AM
There's been all this panic about losing Ben Gordon because he averaged 20pts/g. It's obvious that the Bulls would be a better defending team without Gordon. But the Bulls also may actually be a better scoring team without him as well.

The proof is in the stats. With Ben Gordon last year, the Bulls averaged about 102pts/game. With Ben Gordon taken away from the team we are left with the following possible rotation 9 man rotation:

Rose- 16.8 (his pts/game may increase from his rookie season)
Salmons - 18.3 (his average both in Sac. and Chi)
Deng - 15.4 career average
T Thomas - 7.7 career average (10.8 last season)
Noah - 6.7 career average
---------------------------------------------
Hinrich - 13.9 career average
A. Roberson - 4.1 career average
Tim Thomas - 11.6 career average
Miller - 12.1 career average

When you add it all up it comes out to 106.6pts/game. That's better than the 102pts/game with Gordon. I'm sure the rookie, James Johnson, will fit in there somewhere absorbing some of the scoring or maybe he replaces Tim Thomas' 11.6 altogether. And if the rookie Demarcus Nelson somehow wins a roster spot and playing time over Roberson, I'm sure he could put up 4.1pts/game. Throw Taj Gibson in the mix as a defender... this team looks better than the Chicago Bulls with Gordon.

Be sad no more my fellow Bulls fans... we're a better team all around and still will have the flexibility to pursue top free agent next summer.

cmellofan15
07-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Career averages could mean they used to be good (ie: Thomas and Miller) so this isn't very convincing

JENKSTONE724
07-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I am a die hard Chicago Bulls fan and I dont think we would have made it to the point we made it to this year without B.G. You have to remember how he almost single-handedly destroyed the Celtics. We would have gotten swept if it was not for him. So, I do think we need him.

dgreat5000
07-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I believe losing him will be better for Rose, it's his team now. But no doubt he won us many games. I still believe Bulls are playoff team with Salmons and Johnson purrin in work...watch out for Johnson

cubulls
07-02-2009, 08:27 AM
The Bulls will be just fine without him. There will be less wasteful possessions due to atrocious dribbling and circus shots. More team, less ego BS.

The ChILL
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Signing BG would have stunted D-Rose's growth. I am okay with letting him walk.

amh1279
07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
to cmellofan15:

Even if you take last years averages for Miller (11.9) and Tim thomas (5.8) they'd still average 100.6pts/game and play much better defense. I'm not necessarily saying we are better without him. But I believe we have the scoring capability on the current roster to make up for losing him. Plus it allows D. Rose to assume leadership role, which may translate into an even faster paced offense. Of course we need Rose to step up, Deng to remain healthy, and James Johnson to pan out well (which I believe he will).

It comes down to this... We keep Gordon and remain the same team we have been for the duration of his new contract (since we'll have no money to be a player in free agency and no flexibility for trades. Or we let him go, change the scope of our offense a little and play better defense... which allows us to draw in a big time free agent next summer without losing any of our needed players to win a title.

My main point? If we choose the second option (which we must cuz Gordon's gone) we may still be able to compete as well as we did last year. And remember, TEAMS always overcome individuals. If this TEAM gels together... we WILL be better than we were last year.

ttam68
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not arguing whether or not you made the right decision not to resign BG, because thats not what you said in the first post.

But, you can't take career averages as an indication for next year (as said above). Tim Thomas is garbage, Miller is on the downturn, etc. Also, keep in mind the offensive initiation and outside shooting BG supplied. Though Salmons and Deng are both good scorers, neither is the shooter BG was and that completely changes the offense.

Lets see how they play together before we add up stats, and BG's defense is underrated.

JordansBulls
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Gordon had a terrible shot selection and he always felt he was the best on the team because he averaged the most. I believe he took us out of many games. We already know Rose to be the future for our franchise, no need to have someone else in the backcourt who is not a good defender starting just to score points.