PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Hornets Release Las Vegas Summer League Roster

tland22
07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
The New Orleans Hornets today unveiled the roster that will participate in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas from July 10-19.

The Hornets will play five games, taking on San Antonio, Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State, Minnesota and Denver during the competition.

The team will feature recent draft picks Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton plus current Hornet Julian Wright. The team will be coached by Hornets scout Rob Werdann.

Twenty-one teams will participate in the 2009 NBA Summer League, with games played at COX Pavilion and the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV.

The Hornets have participated in the league for five straight years.

Hornets summer league roster

No Player Pos Ht Wt Birthdate College NBA Exp

55 Earl Barron C 7-0 268 8/14/81 Memphis 3

11 Earl Calloway G 6-3 175 9/30/83 Indiana None

20 Jaycee Carroll G 6-2 175 4/16/83 Utah St None

2 Darren Collison G 6-0 160 8/23/87 UCLA R

34 Brian Cusworth C 7-0 255 3/9/84 Harvard None

10 Terry Martin G 6-6 210 7/31/87 LSU R

50 Luke Nevill C 7-2 265 2/19/86 Utah R

25 Larry Owens F 6-7 210 1/8/83 Oral Rbrts None

8 Marc Salyers F 6-9 220 2/28/79 Samford None

44 Courtney Sims C 6-11 245 10/21/83 Michigan 2

5 Marcus Thornton G 6-4 194 6/5/87 LSU R

35 Anthony Tolliver F 6-8 240 6/1/85 Creighton 1

15 Quinton Watkins G 6-3 175 3/11/88 *None None

32 Julian Wright F 6-8 225 5/20/87 Kansas 2

Head Coach: Rob Werdann, St. John's

*Dominquez High School

Patrick Swayze
07-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Cool! No one on the that really sticks out to me.

tland22
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I think our roster is solid as hell. I was wondering if anyone knew EXACTLY how this works....I noticed that 7ft 2 center Luke Nevill from UTAH is on our roster. And I was wondering if the purpose of this summer league is to develop players sort of or let players play so coaches can evaluate them, and hopefully one or two can impress our staff and make the team. I wouldnt mind seeing the 7ft2 center who has a damn good defensive presence on our pre-season roster. Or Earl Barron, another 7footer...

also Juju is on the roster which is GREAT. Hope he will gain confidence and be a BEAST in this summer league then come out in beast mode for the hornets once the season starts. I cant wait for him to start producing.

And, why isnt HILTON playing in this League. He desperately needs the extra work. I hope this means that he is being traded or something

Vinny642
07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
NO CP3, y not he really needs work lol, na but at least Thorton Collison and Wright get to play. Cool

tland22
07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Im SHOCKED Hilton isnt being forced to go play....i really am. I hope this means he is being traded or something. AND it would be a HUGE addition if one of the 7 footers pan out to be an asset for our team, mayb e to backup Tyson and provide rebounding etc.... that would be so huge for us. I just have a feeling that Nevill will make our team...i dont know though.

Juju
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Im SHOCKED Hilton isnt being forced to go play....i really am. I hope this means he is being traded or something. AND it would be a HUGE addition if one of the 7 footers pan out to be an asset for our team, mayb e to backup Tyson and provide rebounding etc.... that would be so huge for us. I just have a feeling that Nevill will make our team...i dont know though.

Yeah you're right. I expected Hiltion to play to whip himself into shape.

Do anyone know if these Summer League games air on television?

tland22
07-02-2009, 11:21 AM
not sure they do....nba.com will likely stream it from the internet....so hopefully someone will have a link to it when the time comes

tland22
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Earl Barron, who played at Memphis and has three years of professional experience -- most recently with a team in Bologna, Italy -- is a 7-foot center on the team. He was not drafted by an NBA team coming out of college but spent three years as a member of the Miami Heat. He has played in 82 NBA games, with 15 starts. His best season came in 2007-08, when he played in 46 games for the Heat, averaging 19.3 minutes, 7.1 points and 4.3 rebounds in a reserve role

his resume is legit...this guy could definitely be promising.....

tland22
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
obviously he is better than Hilton.....i see NO reason why we shouldnt sign him if he does well.

Patrick Swayze
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
obviously he is better than Hilton.....i see NO reason why we shouldnt sign him if he does well.

I see him getting at least a shot in training camp.

tland22
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
yea he should

BIGBREED
07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Hell, I'm going try out for the Hornets! 6'5 - 250lbs; I can shoot my azz off(I use to play shooting-guard back in the day, way back there....LOL); they'll probably move me to PF(I'll be the Hornets Charles Barkley)

damn, Damn, DAMN........I've just torn my achilles signing my contract!

tland22
07-02-2009, 07:04 PM
a quick read by Ryan Schwan

First off, summer league games mean next to nothing. Many players who shine in the summer league end up doing nothing in the NBA.

However, while summer league games mean very little, the rosters that individual teams send can frequently tell you something about the team.

The roster the Hornets are sending to Vegas for the July 10th Summer League tells us two things:

1. The Hornets spent some effort after the draft trying to gather big men who had a potential NBA future for their team.
2. The experiment of trying Julian Wright as a backup point guard may not be at an end.

Other than Julian Wright and the draftees, the "big" names on the summer league roster are all potential Centers and Power forwards:

* Power Forward Anthony Toliver, who spent a ten-day contract with the Hornets last year
* Power Forward Courtney Sims, who was one of the best two or three players in the D-League, was in the Hornets Training Camp, and spent time on three different NBA team rosters last year
* Center Brian Cusworth out of Harvard who put up some nice numbers(16 and 7) in Spain last year and even has a Youtube highlight video of him dunking a lot.
* Power Forward Marc Salyers of Samford, a dynamic scorer who has played all over Europe. Last year he averaged 13.5 and 5 in Ukraine.
* Center Earl Barron, formerly of the Miami Heat, played in the D-League last year.(somewhat poorly)
* Center Luke Nevill, an undrafted 7-2 rookie out of Utah(bad rebound numbers though)

That's a nice, diverse stable of big men from europe and the d-league, especially considering last year we had Hilton Armstrong and . . . Hilton Armstrong. Of course, Summer League isn't really a place to see big men shine, since guards dominate the ball and the Hornets will have Wright, Thornton, and Collison as options 1 through 3 to score. Regardless, there are several players there that could get invites to training camp or if they seem to fit in well, or even possibly get minimum deals to join the Hornets.

As for Julian and the ill-fated attempts last year to have him run the point during summer league, I'm not convinced we won't see it again. Other than Darren Collison, the only member of the Hornets team that could be called a point guard is Earl Calloway - and he's more of a combo guard. Collison will get a lot of minutes, but last year so did Bobby Brown, and they still managed to have Julian spend time at the Point. I hope we don't see it though. To me, Julian isn't a viable candidate as a point guard. At one point this season Chris Paul said that Julian Wright played best when he was on the break and didn't have to think about what he was doing. I can't agree more. Wright's an instinctual player, not a cerebral player and playing point guard is almost entirely cerebral. I hope they keep him on the wing and try and set him up, letting him build his confidence at his natural position.

Anyways - I'll most likely watch some of the summer league games(being in full basketball withdrawl already) and I'll put together some updates here to keep you all informed about what I see.

ballpd05
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree with you breed, summer league games mean absolutely nothing. I mean last year we needed a backup point guard and Bobby Brown killed in summer league and was cut from training camp to become a decent (by decent better than mike jame, antonio daniels, and devin brown) backup for minnesota. And i'm sure he is much cheaper than daniels silly 6m salary.

the hornets do have alot of bigs on the roster. and its good because while we can all hate on hilton for being soft or whatever he actually is pretty talented when he has his mind right (which happens 1 or 2 times a month). ive seen some nice moves and some good games from him, but he just looks unmotivated, lazy, and at times soft.

none of these guys can be worse than marks, ely, and bowen tho. Those guys suck and none of them could jump over a piece of notebook paper. Whatever happened to Jerome Moiso LOL. I was just kidding, but he is better than all of them too

tland22
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
I personally think Sean Marks is a MUST sign. in the sense that he is big, he has size, he plays so well when he actually does get in the games, especially vs the nuggets in the playoffs.... he isnt skilled, BUT he does hustle his ***** off. And that makes up for a lot of skill in reality. Hustle is what separates good from great players a lot of the time. Kobe, LeBron, Wade, CP3....are all skilled AND hustle their a$$ES off...thats what separates those guys...of course they r more talented but their hustle is special. Thats why I like Marks, he isnt skilled, but the amount he hustles and his size he has, is a good reason he should be kept on board of the hornets. We can use him..... just my opinion

tland22
07-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Will Thornton fit in New Orleans?
By Joshua Davidson

After waiting a bit longer than expected, former LSU guard Marcus Thornton was selected as the 43rd pick in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Miami Heat and then immediately traded to the New Orleans Hornets for two future second round picks.

Thornton was the only former LSU player selected, as Chris Johnson, Garrett Temple, Quinton Thornton and Terry Martin went undrafted as expected by most experts. Chris Johnson may find his way onto a practice squad while the others will have to seek employment somewhere else.

The move was great for the Hornets, who received first round quality talent for the price of two future picks. Thornton has the potential to bring some needed scoring from the perimeter and a toughness that is rare for a player his size. With little money to make any free agent signings during the offseason, the Hornets knew that they had to improve their team through the draft.

Thornton increased his stats across the board during his senior season at LSU, averaging 21 points, five and a half rebounds and two assists. The rebounding numbers should be a huge boost for a Hornet club that saw its two main shooting guards combine to average around five rebounds a game.

After hearing talk of Thornton's stock rising in the weeks leading up to the draft, many draft analysts believed Thornton would go somewhere from the 20th pick to 30th pick. Falling to the 43rd overall pick and the 13th pick of the second round, Thornton was a huge steal for the Hornets, who used their first round pick, the 21st overall, to take former UCLA point guard Darren Collison.

Collison was a bit of a shock for the Hornets to take, since they have the best point guard in the world in Chris Paul and have more glaring needs on the team than a backup point guard. Thornton fits the bill for the club more accurately since the club doesn't really have a true number two guard, and he has the ability to score outside as well as driving the ball to the hoop

The one knock on Thornton, according to the ESPN experts, is "a lack of size and athleticism." This is completely not the case when it comes to Marcus Thornton, who by all standards plays much bigger than you might expect from a 6'4'' wing player. In fact, he is like a carbon copy of NBA All-Star Michael Redd and just as good a shooter as Chicago's Ben Gordon, who is several inches shorter.

The lack of a dynamic scorer in crunch time situations has hurt the Hornets over the last several years. Sure, Chris Paul is outstanding and David West is known to shoot the dagger every now and then, but every team needs a consistent wing man waiting on the corners, biting the chance to win the game. Peja was supposed to be that man for the Hornets but has been a shell of himself over the past few seasons.

LSU will miss Marcus Thornton's killer instinct on the floor next season, and college basketball fans are grateful for all the memories he gave us throughout the past two seasons. That being said, the Hornets just got their hands on a diamond in the rough and should be pleased with the outcome over the next several years.

BIGBREED
07-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Will Thornton fit in New Orleans?
By Joshua Davidson

After waiting a bit longer than expected, former LSU guard Marcus Thornton was selected as the 43rd pick in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Miami Heat and then immediately traded to the New Orleans Hornets for two future second round picks.

Thornton was the only former LSU player selected, as Chris Johnson, Garrett Temple, Quinton Thornton and Terry Martin went undrafted as expected by most experts. Chris Johnson may find his way onto a practice squad while the others will have to seek employment somewhere else.

The move was great for the Hornets, who received first round quality talent for the price of two future picks. Thornton has the potential to bring some needed scoring from the perimeter and a toughness that is rare for a player his size. With little money to make any free agent signings during the offseason, the Hornets knew that they had to improve their team through the draft.

Thornton increased his stats across the board during his senior season at LSU, averaging 21 points, five and a half rebounds and two assists. The rebounding numbers should be a huge boost for a Hornet club that saw its two main shooting guards combine to average around five rebounds a game.

After hearing talk of Thornton's stock rising in the weeks leading up to the draft, many draft analysts believed Thornton would go somewhere from the 20th pick to 30th pick. Falling to the 43rd overall pick and the 13th pick of the second round, Thornton was a huge steal for the Hornets, who used their first round pick, the 21st overall, to take former UCLA point guard Darren Collison.

Collison was a bit of a shock for the Hornets to take, since they have the best point guard in the world in Chris Paul and have more glaring needs on the team than a backup point guard. Thornton fits the bill for the club more accurately since the club doesn't really have a true number two guard, and he has the ability to score outside as well as driving the ball to the hoop

The one knock on Thornton, according to the ESPN experts, is "a lack of size and athleticism." This is completely not the case when it comes to Marcus Thornton, who by all standards plays much bigger than you might expect from a 6'4'' wing player. In fact, he is like a carbon copy of NBA All-Star Michael Redd and just as good a shooter as Chicago's Ben Gordon, who is several inches shorter.

The lack of a dynamic scorer in crunch time situations has hurt the Hornets over the last several years. Sure, Chris Paul is outstanding and David West is known to shoot the dagger every now and then, but every team needs a consistent wing man waiting on the corners, biting the chance to win the game. Peja was supposed to be that man for the Hornets but has been a shell of himself over the past few seasons.

LSU will miss Marcus Thornton's killer instinct on the floor next season, and college basketball fans are grateful for all the memories he gave us throughout the past two seasons. That being said, the Hornets just got their hands on a diamond in the rough and should be pleased with the outcome over the next several years.

Joshua Davidson is a local editor that also writes for the Tigerweekly. I think and know that he's bias! The local media is supposed to be bias to our players and universities in Louisiana.
Look, I love the Marcus Thornton trade, but come on, Thornton isn't coming into the NBA and dominate at his position. So, lets stop talking like he will, lets give the kid at least a year to adjust to the league!

**Trust me, I really love the backcourt of Collison and Thornton; speed kills**

tland22
07-04-2009, 06:44 AM
WHAT is your beef? SERIOUSLY....no SERIOUSLY. I was just posting this article in case someone else wanted to read it. Trying to be optimistic....unlike you, who (APPARENTLY) is trying to stay on my *** about random things.

GET OVER YOURSELF BIGBREED. 85% of the time when I post you post something negative after it. 85% !!! That is a ridiculous number man, you are a prick obviously, and you could careless obviously that we are both Hornets fans... You post something negative about one of my post...I dont know why, but you do. And I'd bet my soul that you will respond to this message, and the message in the MLE thread where I responded to you telling you that I am DONE with the Ron Artest thing....because I dont care about the Ron Artest thing anymore.

tland22
07-04-2009, 06:46 AM
I posted the article because I agreed with his optimistic outlook on Thornton coming to our team.

NOTHING TO GET CONFRONTATIONAL ABOUT BREED.... but i know you just couldn't resist yourself.

BIGBREED
07-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I posted the article because I agreed with his optimistic outlook on Thornton coming to our team.

NOTHING TO GET CONFRONTATIONAL ABOUT BREED.... but i know you just couldn't resist yourself.

What I really hate is the local media(LSU) trying to hype-up local players over their actual expectations. I HATE THE ARTICLE!

as for as you are concern....I'm Sorry man!

tland22
07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
cool cool

Juju
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Woah guys, the writer might be a bit bias but thats to keep us optimistic for the next season. A little optimism can't hurt right?

Anyway can't wait to see Collison and Thornton in the summer league! It should give us a taste of what they can do divided by 2... The NBA better stream it!!

tland22
07-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Woah guys, the writer might be a bit bias but thats to keep us optimistic for the next season. A little optimism can't hurt right?

Anyway can't wait to see Collison and Thornton in the summer league! It should give us a taste of what they can do divided by 2... The NBA better stream it!!

THANK YOU. That is exactly what I was saying. Im all about optimism...and just because someone is biased doesnt mean they arent correct etc...
Nice post man

tland22
07-10-2009, 03:24 AM
here is from the newspaper in NO posted last night...updates on our rookies!

"SUMMER LEAGUE NOTE: Hornets officials said former LSU shooting guard Marcus Thornton, whom they obtained in a draft night trade from the Miami Heat, has been impressive during the past two summer league practices. Thornton has made shots, drove to the basket and made good passes in traffic. New Orleans opens Summer League play on Sunday against San Antonio in Las Vegas."

here is the link:

http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/07/new_orleans_hornets_say_they_c.html

tland22
07-10-2009, 03:28 AM
and here is something worth reading as well...an update on JULIAN WRIGHT

here is the link, but im going to post the contents of the news article on here so ya dont have to click on the link....
http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/07/new_orleans_hornets_julian_wri_2.html

okay here is that article:

New Orleans Hornets' Julian Wright keeps progressing

Julian Wright has been mistake-prone and slow to adjust to Coach Byron Scott's demands the past two seasons, but he appears driven to improve this upcoming season.

When the Hornets begin play this fall, Wright said he wants to be counted on to average at least eight points and four rebounds per game -- both of which would be career-highs.

Instead of waiting for training camp, Wright wants to make an impact as a member on the Hornets' summer league team.

Starting Sunday against the Spurs, the Hornets will play a five-game schedule that will extend for nine days in Las Vegas. Joining Wright on the team are first-round draft pick Darren Collison and second-round selection Marcus Thornton.

"I want to be counted on in certain areas and provide certain stats," Wright said. "I want to be productive in terms of just playing aggressive. I can't be passive. I have to look for shots more."

Wright's athleticism has helped, but his biggest setback has been inconsistency. At times, Wright has appeared to have the same problems developing as former Hornets players J.R. Smith and Brandon Bass did in their first two seasons, before they moved to other teams and became productive.

Last December, Scott said Wright had regressed since his rookie year in 2007-08, because he was struggling to grasp offense and at times didn't know where to line up. Those problems forced him out of the rotation for the first three months of the season.

But Scott eventually regained confidence in Wright, who averaged a season-high 23.6 minutes in March. Wright averaged 14.3 minutes per game, 4.4 points and 2.8 rebounds.

Regardless of what happens in summer league, Wright remains in the Hornets' plans. Unlike this past season, when Wright alternated at power forward and small forward, he will play exclusively at small forward during summer league.

"I think we've been very patient with Julian, and I think his development is coming," Scott said. "But my expectations of Julian might be a little higher than he expects or can handle."

Since the Hornets' were eliminated in five games by Denver in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs in April, Wright has been trying to develop a 15- to 18-foot jump shot and improve his foot work. He also has worked in the weight room more than he has the past two offseasons.

Instead of playing in only 54 games, as he did last season, Wright wants to play in all 82 games and make an impact.

"This is the most driven I've heard in my conversations with him," Scott said. "I haven't heard him talk like this during the first two years, and that's encouraging. I still believe Julian is going to be a hell of a basketball player. This could be his breakout year."

With Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower apparently having difficulty lowering the team's escalating $77.5 million payroll, it could be vital for Wright to emerge as a key contributor off the bench.

"I'm trying to run the floor, be more aggressive and just be a better contributor to help my team," Wright said. "I've worked all summer, trying to get stronger the right way so I can be durable."

HORNETS FREE AGENT UPDATE: On the verge of becoming the only team in the Southwest Division to make a free agent acquisition, Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said through team spokesman Harold Kaufman they continue to pursue some of their targeted free agents, mostly frontcourt players.

"It's just a slower process, something that is not going to happen during the first few days of free agency," Bower said.

On Wednesday, the first day free agents could sign contracts, former Hornets power forward Brandon Bass said he could no longer wait on New Orleans to extend him an offer. Former Hornets center Chris Andersen agreed to a five-year, $26 million to remain with Denver. Former Hornets point guard Jannero Pargo signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Chicago.

Bower said they are not shopping starting center Tyson Chandler in a possible trade, but he did not rule out the possibility that teams have called to discuss a trade. The Hornets could do a sign-and-trade to land a free agent and involve moving one of their veteran guards.

The Hornets remain in the hunt for former LSU forward Glen Davis, who is a restricted free agent with Celtics. New Orleans, Detroit and Cleveland are teams he is considering, according to league sources.

The Celtics still can match any offer to retain him.

hope ya'll enjoyed it! And i hope he turns out to be the BEAST we all know he could be

Juju
07-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Yeah! It's good to hear a good piece on Julian. I can really see him coming off the bench averaging around 8 points a game along with 5 or so rebounds.

Beast in the making!