PDA

View Full Version : Hedo rumour from blog ... are the Raptors out of their minds?

Boston Faithful
07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
They are preparing to offer Hedo Turkolugu 5 years, 60 million.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/turkoglu_coming_to_portland_fo.html

Hedo was never a perennial All-Star, let alone an All-Star and they are about to pay a guy whose going to be 35 at the end of this contract about 15 million a year? (the contract will gradually increase in money by the length of the contract)

I doubt he'll be contributing 10 points a game by then. If anything, this is definitely a win now type of move.

BullsNumber1Fan
07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Actually that is only $12 Million per year! A $15 Million per year deal would be a 5 Year/$75 Million deal.

BHF
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
this cant be true no no no bc cant be that dumb

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
noooooooooooooo.. i wont watch a single raptors game again if this happens

Boston Faithful
07-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Actually that is only $12 Million per year! A $15 Million per year deal would be a 5 Year/$75 Million deal.

In the beginning of the contract he'll make less, say 10-11 million and by the end he'll be making 15. That's how contracts work.

abe_froman
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
they're desperate to try and change bosh's mind about leave

coolmo
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
if this is true, it means we got an interesting offer for Bosh and Bosh is on his way out of Toronto.
Which means, IT IS NOT TRUE AND CAN'T BE TRUE.

BullsNumber1Fan
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
In the beginning of the contract he'll make less, say 10-11 million and by the end he'll be making 15. That's how contracts work.

I know how it works, but it isn't $15 Million per year just because he will make that his last year. It would still be only an average of $12 Million per year. That is like 5th Grader math.

what54!?
07-01-2009, 05:31 PM
This is a move to get bosh to stay. thats all

JordansBulls
07-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't like this because it would mean they are keeping Bosh.

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I know how it works, but it isn't $15 Million per year just because he will make that his last year. It would still be only an average of $12 Million per year. That is like 5th Grader math.

it wont be a 12 million per yr cuz raps cant afford to pay him 12/yr.. if this thing hapens, im pretty sure it will have a % raise from its previous contracts which can be 15 million for the last yr

carter15
07-01-2009, 05:32 PM
bullsnumber1fan is right..its not 15 million a year...and contracts can be weight heavy in the front or back...so its not necesarily gonna go up with hedo..

pd7631
07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, the Raptors are out of their minds to make that kind of an offer for Turkoglu. He's only worth having on that team if Bosh is there, if Bosh leaves then they're left with this guy and his huge contract as he gets older and worse. This would be one of those franchise crippling contracts if this goes down.

dtmagnet
07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't think this is true, but who can say either way. I'll believe it if it happens but not a second before that.

Catfish1314
07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Players like Turkoglu who don't play inside a lot usually have longer careers. Nash and Kidd are in their mid-late 30s and they're both still top 10 point guards. Allen scored 51 points in a postseason game last season as a 33 year old.

This is probably a move to keep Bosh in Toronto. Hedo is a big upgrade over Shawn Marion and Bargnani looked like he was starting to put it together last season. If DeRozan plays well enough and the Raptors get into the playoffs, Bosh will have a reason to stay. Hedo can help them do that.

Boston Faithful
07-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I would only keep Turkolugu on a 3 year, 30 million dollar contract tops. He's not going to be near All-Star status at 34 or 35 which is where the Raptors will be paying him 14, 15 mil a year.

Murphy_Dee
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
i really hope this isn't true

ThEaIrUpThErE
are the raptors even under the cap enough to do this? i dont believe they are... i hope he signs w/ portland for 5 yrs 10 mil a year, it'd be worth it

Toxeryll
Players like Turkoglu who don't play inside a lot usually have longer careers. Nash and Kidd are in their mid-late 30s and they're both still top 10 point guards. Allen scored 51 points in a postseason game last season as a 33 year old.

This is probably a move to keep Bosh in Toronto. Hedo is a big upgrade over Shawn Marion and Bargnani looked like he was starting to put it together last season. If DeRozan plays well enough and the Raptors get into the playoffs, Bosh will have a reason to stay. Hedo can help them do that.

Hedo isnt a good fit for us.. if this happens, we will get another player who wants to jack up a lot of shots.. marion meanwhile is a good fit becuz he doesnt need to have the ball on his hands to be successful.

SA5195
07-01-2009, 05:42 PM
no its just a dumb rumour, BC is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smarter

cubbies93
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
the Raptors are trying to do what the Cavs are doing with Lebron trying to get whatever they can to win to keep their player. if the Raptors lost Bosh it would be devestating so even if theirs a chance Bosh would stay if they signed Turk they would have to do it.

JM09
07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Geez..... He's already 31 isn't he?

Giantwarrior
07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
hes definitely not worth that much, but he did win a lot of big games for orlando. Worth it probably not, earned it? maybe.

ajj22
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I literally laughed out loud when i read this. raptors will be doomed for 5 years.

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
:pray:go blazers... sign turk

nolin
07-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I heard the raps are getting ready to offer gordon 13 mil a year.

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I heard the raps are getting ready to offer gordon 13 mil a year.

i heard that too

B2theRY
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
the raps have to renounce everyone to even have the money.

so they'll have 6-7 players on their roster.

jsumadchat
07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
ok ok ok ok.... i see everyone hating on this move... but think of this. what if BC has something HUGE up his sleeve? what if he's got a trade lined up for bosh involving a true 5? think of a lineup of turk at the 3, bargs at the 4 and a natural centre - oden, biedrins - at the 5. this type of move could even bring in a solid 2. i still think offering turk that much moolah is a dumb move, but come on ppl, we know BC is WAY smarter than this. if he's acually gonna do this, he's got something big in mind.

ChiSox219
07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
They got start replacing Bosh somehow

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 06:23 PM
ok ok ok ok.... i see everyone hating on this move... but think of this. what if BC has something HUGE up his sleeve? what if he's got a trade lined up for bosh involving a true 5? think of a lineup of turk at the 3, bargs at the 4 and a natural centre - oden, biedrins - at the 5. this type of move could even bring in a solid 2. i still think offering turk that much moolah is a dumb move, but come on ppl, we know BC is WAY smarter than this. if he's acually gonna do this, he's got something big in mind.

if hes tradin bosh he wont sign hedo cuz were going into a rebuilding mode and it is safer to go after a young guy like ariza

Hustla23
07-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I doubt this happens.

Colangelo isn't a complete idiot.

Glenfidish
07-01-2009, 06:24 PM
First and foremost give turk some credit for where he got the orlando magic too..Ya he got out played by kobe, but so did carmelo and so would lebron have been too..Numbers dont lie and the run that turk had with orlando is why clearly they got that far..Orlando is built no differently then the raps..I would add that we have a better front court duo then them with Bosh and Bargnani then say Howard and lewis..With lewis they are undersized..

So through in turkoglu into our line up and we are just as good if not better...So ya i would do that deal if Marion is off the table..

I smell a 4 player swap in a S&t to orlando to help them fill the roster spot and turkloglu back in return..

This might set up a Marion/Humpries S&T to Detroit for Hamilton..Look out

1.Jose/Parker/ukic
2.Hamilton/Delfino
3.Turkoglu/DeRozan
4.Bosh/evans
5.Bargnani/Pops/Gortat

Look out chicago and miami, you guyd may be a step behind

SteveNash
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
no its just a dumb rumour, BC is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smarter

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHE241_16x20-2006RaptorsNo1NBADraft~Andrea-Bargnani-Posters.jpg

DCSportsIsPain
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Hedo scores one more PPG and grabs 4 less RPG. Hedo also plays no defense and avoids the paint like a plague. How is that a "big upgrade?

Toxeryll
First and foremost give turk some credit for where he got the orlando magic too..Ya he got out played by kobe, but so did carmelo and so would lebron have been too..Numbers dont lie and the run that turk had with orlando is why clearly they got that far..Orlando is built no differently then the raps..I would add that we have a better front court duo then them with Bosh and Bargnani then say Howard and lewis..With lewis they are undersized..

So through in turkoglu into our line up and we are just as good if not better...So ya i would do that deal if Marion is off the table..

I smell a 4 player swap in a S&t to orlando to help them fill the roster spot and turkloglu back in return..

This might set up a Marion/Humpries S&T to Detroit for Hamilton..Look out

1.Jose/Parker/ukic
2.Hamilton/Delfino
3.Turkoglu/DeRozan
4.Bosh/evans
5.Bargnani/Pops/Gortat

Look out chicago and miami, you guyd may be a step behind

IMO if we sign turk, we cant sign and trade marion

jsumadchat
if hes tradin bosh he wont sign hedo cuz were going into a rebuilding mode and it is safer to go after a young guy like ariza

trading bosh does not put you straight into rebuilding mode. if we traded bosh for say, ellis & biedrins THEORETICALLY, you'd have enough of a foundation there to make a serious run in the east.

calderon / ukic / douby
ellis / derozan
turk / pops
bargnani / evans
biedrins / o'bryant

the bench would need some additions, but a trade would be sure to bring more than 2 assets back.

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Hedo scores one more PPG and grabs 4 less RPG. Hedo also plays no defense and avoids the paint like a plague. How is that a "big upgrade?

i say theyre equal.. hedo is clutch and thats wat the raptors need but marion provides all the intangibles we need

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
trading bosh does not put you straight into rebuilding mode. if we traded bosh for say, ellis & biedrins THEORETICALLY, you'd have enough of a foundation there to make a serious run in the east.

calderon / ukic / douby
ellis / derozan
turk / pops
bargnani / evans
biedrins / o'bryant

the bench would need some additions, but a trade would be sure to bring more than 2 assets back.

u call that a contender? wow that lineup would be lucky to be in the playoffs

ink
07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
They are preparing to offer Hedo Turkolugu 5 years, 60 million.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/turkoglu_coming_to_portland_fo.html

Hedo was never a perennial All-Star, let alone an All-Star and they are about to pay a guy whose going to be 35 at the end of this contract about 15 million a year? (the contract will gradually increase in money by the length of the contract)

I doubt he'll be contributing 10 points a game by then. If anything, this is definitely a win now type of move.

Relax, it's an un-sourced rumour from a blog. Read the whole article.

Trouble87
07-01-2009, 06:40 PM
horrible move if its true

More shats!
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
This is BS.

ink
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
This is BS.

+1

Check the source!! Read the article before posting!! lol

Glenfidish
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
IMO if we sign turk, we cant sign and trade marion

If you would have read carefully it would be a S&t parker,humpries,douby+obryant as an example to help orlando get quality role bench players for cheap..They only have 8 players and need to sign 5 more for league minimum of 13..

Marion would be used with another s&t to detroit who is rumored to be after
him and now that they have gordon, Hamilton who fit perfectly in our system..

Tell me my line up would not compete big time and remain young?

Toxeryll
07-01-2009, 06:57 PM
^ya exactly we will go over or close the salary cap once we take hedo's contract so a sign and trade with marion would be impossible

yes ur lineup looks good but i doubt it will happen

Raps18-19 Champ
07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Not for that price. The most I would want to offer him is 9-10 mil.

carlo
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
No doubt Hedo's agent was instrumental in starting this rumor. All the agents are the same way ..... take a journalist out to dinner, send him on vacation, etc. Once the agent and the journalist understand each other (wink wink) the pumping in the media starts.

Looks like the pump of Hedo's market value is in full swing. Usually it's the stupid owners who fall for this orchestration, but I think this time with the economy being so weak it will not work.

Whoever pays Hedo $12 mil per over 6 years should be committed to an insane asylum in today's market. No doubt Hedo would've been worth that in previous years, but no way today. Have you seen the baseball salaries drop? Have you seen the promotions NBA teams are giving to lure season ticketholders ? Take a look at who the advertisers are on a typical in season game ..... it's changed drastically.

Business as usual is a thing of the past for those who understand the impact this reccession will have on business going forward .... yes even sports this time unlike past reccessions. Sure, their may be some stupid owner who throws this type of money at Hedo, but that s/b limited to one or two idiots. Hedo is worth around $8 mil per IMO based on his ability and market conditions. Not a bad piece of change hah. It's just that the greed has to be sucked from the agent and the player. It will happen in time, it just depends on how many knife catchers make up NBA ownership.

Glenfidish
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
ya exactly we will go over or close the salary cap once we take hedo's contract so a sign and trade with marion would be impossible

yes ur lineup looks good but i doubt it will happen

Actually i did the figures earlier and i came up with a number off 73 million..Now the luxary tax is said to be around 70-71 next wedneday it will be anounced..Colangelo has already stated that if needed he has the authority to go to mls to grant this..So basically we would be 2-3 million over the tax + another 2-3 milion because its a dollar per dollar tax..Total amount would be 75-80 million..We would be like 5-8 in the nba regardless..It would look sweat..

Catfish1314
07-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Hedo actually averages 4 more PPG and is capable of creating for himself and others. Marion really can't create for himself well, if at all. He scores off put backs, open shots, or the occasional floater.

A year ago, Hedo was 3rd in the league in 4th quarter points behind LeBron and Kobe only.

Marion rebounds, defends, and hits the open jumper. Hedo creates for himself, others, and consistenly comes up big in the clutch. Which one sounds like a role player?

ink
07-01-2009, 07:16 PM
No doubt Hedo's agent was instrumental in starting this rumor. All the agents are the same way ..... take a journalist out to dinner, send him on vacation, etc. Once the agent and the journalist understand each other (wink wink) the pumping in the media starts.

Exactly right. And it could also be coming from the Toronto camp. If they put out a rumour that they're working with Hedo's agent, it puts pressure on the FA they really want -- Shawn Marion.

countrycasanova
07-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Y'all know the raptors love international players; he's jus one mo to add to the collection. I can't really blame them, international guys are the only players that will stay in toronto. With that being the case, might as well get the best one's you can buy. They ought to called the FIBA Raptors.

arkanian215
07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
wont happen. the raps have to sign so many filler players then at minimums or use their exceptions. not happening. absolutely bogus.

Dawson8
07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Ummm i live in Portland and it is from Oregonlive.com. More importantly it is from Jason Quick. I wouldn't buy that one..............He talks out of his ***** a lot. Mainly because people really don't follow him anymore. I would be very surprised if this is true. However, I would be happy. I don't want the Blazers to over pay this guy.

Mile High Champ
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
wow as a raps fan I am unsure about this deal..

Lakerfrk
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
And as a Laker fan.. I want this deal to happen!! I don't want Hedo on Portland.. hahaha. ;)

nads83
07-01-2009, 08:07 PM
BC wants an uptempo team, turk doesnt fit the teams need in any way except for being able to handle the rock and shoot the 3. marion is the better fit, and BC knows this

koreancabbage
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
BC wants an uptempo team, turk doesnt fit the teams need in any way except for being able to handle the rock and shoot the 3. marion is the better fit, and BC knows this

obviously BC knows this, but maybe he's signing trading MArion away for another player. or maybe they sign both! and go over the luxury tax.

Hedo was making $7M last year, he's not going to sign for 7-9 M anywhere. he's looking for a $10M per at least. @ $10 M, he's worth it.