PDA

View Full Version : Orlando may not pursue Rasheed, Mcdyess or Bass because of finances

JordansBulls
07-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Source: FloridaToday (http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090701/SPORTS16/907010320/1002/SPORTS/Magic+may+not+afford+big+man)

With Vince Carter's $16.3 million salary taking the Orlando Magic deep into luxury tax territory, the likelihood is that standout forward Hedo Turkoglu is long gone and any top-shelf help at power forward will be out of reach.

Drew Gooden, anyone? Or how about other Magic castoffs from years past such as Juwan Howard or Steven Hunter? Or possibly even Chris Wilcox, Shelden Williams, Joe Smith or Rasho Nesterovic.

Or could Orlando reunite with Tony Battie, traded last week in the Carter deal -- if his contract is bought out by the New Jersey Nets?

In other words, any hopes Magic fans had of seeing a major upgrade at power forward in the form of Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess or Brandon Bass likely are gone because Orlando almost certainly won't have the financial wherewithal to attract such players.

S-Dot
07-01-2009, 08:24 AM
:sad2:

PennyMy#1
07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I really don't think Otis Smith would just send a nice starting five with Nelson, Pietrus, Carter, Lewis, Howard into the next season to win a ring, without having some good additions for our bench in mind. Yes, we have financial problems now, because we have a lot a big contracts, but we still have our MLE to go after a guy like Wallace ...

ManRam
07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I really don't think Otis Smith would just send a nice starting five with Nelson, Pietrus, Carter, Lewis, Howard into the next season to win a ring, without having some good additions for our bench in mind. Yes, we have financial problems now, because we have a lot a big contracts, but we still have our MLE to go after a guy like Wallace ...

I agree. I don't think he can "afford" not to use the MLE to bring in another potential starter. It seems like they've already committed too much to not try to get one of those three guys, unless of course they all want more than the MLE (doubtful) then we don't have much of a choice. Hopefully we can get a true PF, who could start if we wanted to go big. This lineup isn't quite good enough yet.

S-Dot
07-01-2009, 09:23 AM
they need sheed or bass...either will help dwight so much

Tblaze
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
they need sheed or bass...either will help dwight so much

and either likely won't sign for the MLE ;)

ajj22
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
shouldnt surprise me, this is the life of a magic fan. we get so close, then its one big tease after another.