PDA

View Full Version : baseball phenom Harper leaving high school after 2 years

Super.
07-01-2009, 03:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/highschool/06/14/harper.school.ap/index.html

A 16-year-old baseball phenom dubbed the game's "Chosen One" by Sports Illustrated plans to skip his final two years of high school in hopes of entering the Major League Baseball draft earlier, his father said.

Discus. Is this a good or bad move for Harper?

ESaady
07-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Obviously he thinks he is good enough. I wonder what happens if he fails at baseball.

Oh and wasn't this news like 2 weeks ago??

Cheezombie
07-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Ohhhh ****. Quick Billy, trade everyone!

adrew35
07-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Yea he is going to the same community college as me this upcoming fall.
and going to play baseball for them also.

Gigantes4Life
07-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Incredible.

Kannon81
07-01-2009, 06:49 AM
It should be illegal to do this since he is not of age.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 07:56 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/highschool/06/14/harper.school.ap/index.html

Discus. Is this a good or bad move for Harper?

Well since he wants to play major league baseball, I think discus would not be a good idea. Why risk injury throwing a small disc as far as you can before you sign that mega million dollar contract.......:p

I don't have any problem with this. The kid knows what his career path is going to be as do lots of high school students. What's the difference between that and a kid graduating early to get into college? It happens.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
This kid has bust written all over him

Havoc Wreaker
07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Obviously he thinks he is good enough. I wonder what happens if he fails at baseball.

Sanitation Employee.

ThisIsTheYear
07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Risky move. But if he has enough confidence that he will make it, then more power to him.

tr3ymill3r
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Athletes are already considered unintelligent, this just goes to prove it. The only thing that's a sure thing is that there are no sure things! At least get a GED so when the Yanks don't draft you and you cry about it, he'll always have...would you like fries with that?

Sportfan
07-01-2009, 10:14 AM
He shoulda stayed at least 2 more years, he hasnt even graduated high school and he thinks he can play in the pros,dude go to college

Yendil
07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
it should be illegal to do this since he is not of age.

+1

nwilfan
07-01-2009, 10:21 AM
He shoulda stayed at least 2 more years, he hasnt even graduated high school and he thinks he can play in the pros,dude go to college

um... he is going to college :confused:

NatSkinCapWiz
07-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Athletes are already considered unintelligent, this just goes to prove it. The only thing that's a sure thing is that there are no sure things! At least get a GED so when the Yanks don't draft you and you cry about it, he'll always have...would you like fries with that?
he's getting his GED... he has to in order to enter the draft... the only reason he's skipping his senior season is because pitchers aren't pitching to him in HS... they're all afraid... he's not getting any better walking every plate appearance... i see the Nats drafting him #1 and he'll be playing by the time he's 18 or 19

Ian.
07-01-2009, 10:39 AM

He has to have a GED to get in to community college and be eligible for the draft. This kid is going to get a mega bonus when he signs and with that kind of money will never have to work a day in his life. He can be the biggest bust in history and still be set for life.

+1

How do you feel about super smart kids graduating high school at age 13? This is no different at all. The kid knows what he wants to be in life and college is not necessary to accomplish that.

TragicallyHip
07-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Don't you have to have at least a GED to get into a JUCO?

cheerio
07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
They were talking about this over a week ago

nwilfan
07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't you have to have at least a GED to get into a JUCO?

Yes and that is his plan; GED, Juco in Las Vegas, 2010 draft. I read an article where the dad claimed he might consider playing a couple years in college maybe 3 or 4 but I'm not buying it. One and done, then he gets the distinction of the being the #1 overall pick by the Nationals for like the 5th year in a row.

The Ooh Child
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
What a ballsy move. Hopefully everything works out for the kid.

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
For sake of all the kids in the future whose overbearing, controlling parents will be riding them harder and harder for $$$$, I hope this kid fails miserably. He's 16 years old!! Let him be a kid for a couple more years, and the money/baseball/fame will come eventually.

Parents like these are insane. Have they ever heard of Todd Marinovich, Jennifer Capriati, Mary Pierce, or Sean O'Hair? If you push your kids too hard, never let them grow up normally, don't allow them to actually get an education, and basically force them to live a one-dimensional life, bad things will usually happen.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 11:17 AM
^ The irony in your statement is laughable.

Yendil
07-01-2009, 11:28 AM
He has to have a GED to get in to community college and be eligible for the draft. This kid is going to get a mega bonus when he signs and with that kind of money will never have to work a day in his life. He can be the biggest bust in history and still be set for life.

How do you feel about super smart kids graduating high school at age 13? This is no different at all. The kid knows what he wants to be in life and college is not necessary to accomplish that.

because they are still in school after they graduate and go to college and PHD's. They aren't quiting or getting their GED's for a glimmer of hope that they may be able to hit a 96MPH fastball when they are use to 80MPH. Point is one group does wonders for the world with progression of technology and research and still stay in school until they are over 18 while one does not.

spitz511
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
How is it ballsy? He is going to be the first pick, get atleast $20m. All more high school and college would do is bring him down. On top of that, no one cries when South American players are signed at 15 like Fernando Martinez. This is by far the best move for him.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
because they are still in school after they graduate and go to college and PHD's. They aren't quiting or getting their GED's for a glimmer of hope that they may be able to hit a 96MPH fastball when they are use to 80MPH. Point is one group does wonders for the world with progression of technology and research and still stay in school until they are over 18 while one does not.

And one group makes a ridiculous signing bonus and is set for life. If he becomes a bust, he could still get into college after the fact when he is 25 years old. He's being very smart and utilizing his raw talent.

You can't honestly tell me that you wouldn't do the same in his situation. If you do, you're straight up lying. There is absolutely NO way you can spin his situation to make it a bad idea for him. That massive signing bonus outweighs every con you can list as it opens a door to MANY, MANY opportunities.

Yendil
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I never said I wouldn't seriously think about it and probably do it, but it should still be illegal. You are not an adult until 18 years old. Until he is 18 it should be illegal because it is the parents who are liable for him.

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
How is it ballsy? He is going to be the first pick, get atleast $20m.

And one group makes a ridiculous signing bonus and is set for life. If he becomes a bust, he could still get into college after the fact when he is 25 years old.So you guys are 100% sure that this 16-year-old kid is going to be the #1 pick next year? Why? Because Scott Boras said so?

MLB owners may be dumb. But I don't think any of them are dumb enough to give $20+ million to a 17-year-old. Even if he's picked in the first round at gets $3-$4 million, that's not as much money as you think. 60-70% of that is going to the IRS and Scott Boras. He's certainly not guaranteed to be set for life.

There is absolutely NO way you can spin his situation to make it a bad idea for him.Yeah, you're right. A 16-year-old high school SOPHOMORE decides to get a GED and play at a community college with the hopes of being a top pick in the MLB draft at the age of 17. You're right, there's NO way this is could possibly turn out badly.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Even with a four million dollar bonus, he could pay his way for a college degree. Even if he gets fifty percent it's a million bucks at minimum which can certainly buy you a college degree.

Experts all over are saying this kid will a top pick and if not, a very high pick, so it's not just my opinion. This is an absolute opportunity of a lifetime. He can sign with a team and play in the low minors and deal with talent more on his level and deal with coaches that can handle supreme talent.

Best case scenario for leaving high school when he is drafted:

-He's drafted at age 17 top five overall.
-Gets a bonus of $5 million (to be safe)
-Becomes a great player and has a great career

Worst case scenario for leaving high school when he is drafted:

-Drafted at age 17 in the top five overall.
-Gets injured or becomes a bust. Still has the original five million dollar bonus plus the money he makes on his rookie contract. Makes enough money from his bonus to invvest and be set for life.

Best case scenario for graduating high school and attending college:

-Attends college and becomes a top five pick
-Becomes a good player and has a great career

Worst case scenario for graduating high school and attending college:

-Attends college where he is injured or becomes a bust
-Has no signing bonus and no baseball career.
-Loses his scholarship to college due to lack of ability

This is even me assuming he won't be the top pick, demanding a massive signing bonus, which is highly likely at this point. There's absolutely no way you can justify him not entering the draft if he's projected to be the #1 overall. He's going to get a massive bonus and it has no risk of making nothing.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Do you know anything about him? He is projected to be better then A Rod, better then Griffey.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Do you know anything about him? He is projected to be better then A Rod, better then Griffey.

O I forgot, every projection always pans out.....................

the kid is the most hyped baseball player I've heard of in years, and he can barely drive. This much hype at that young of an age has bust written all over it.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
So you guys are 100% sure that this 16-year-old kid is going to be the #1 pick next year? Why? Because Scott Boras said so?

MLB owners may be dumb. But I don't think any of them are dumb enough to give $20+ million to a 17-year-old. Even if he's picked in the first round at gets $3-$4 million, that's not as much money as you think. 60-70% of that is going to the IRS and Scott Boras. He's certainly not guaranteed to be set for life.

Yeah, you're right. A 16-year-old high school SOPHOMORE decides to get a GED and play at a community college with the hopes of being a top pick in the MLB draft at the age of 17. You're right, there's NO way this is could possibly turn out badly.

You my friend are an idiot. 60-70% going to the IRS and his agent? Really? Do you have any clue what your talking about? The IRS will get 35% and the agent gets 3%, thats 38% not 70%. Plus with endorsements he will be set up.

If you knew anything about him you would know that he is that good. He is going to be the first pick. He will get $20 million guaranteed. That can but you on easy street.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
You my friend are an idiot. 60-70% going to the IRS and his agent? Really? Do you have any clue what your talking about? The IRS will get 35% and the agent gets 3%, thats 38% not 70%. Plus with endorsements he will be set up.

If you knew anything about him you would know that he is that good. He is going to be the first pick. He will get $20 million guaranteed. That can but you on easy street.

agents normally get 10%. The highest tax bracket for the IRS is in the 40% ranges, so 50-60% is not only reasonable, but probally accurate

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I never said I wouldn't seriously think about it and probably do it, but it should still be illegal. You are not an adult until 18 years old. Until he is 18 it should be illegal because it is the parents who are liable for him.

Kobe was 17 when he signed his NBA contract. That seemed to work out for everyone.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Kobe was 17 when he signed his NBA contract. That seemed to work out for everyone.

so was Kwame Brown........

Ian.
07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
O I forgot, every projection always pans out.....................

the kid is the most hyped baseball player I've heard of in years, and he can barely drive. This much hype at that young of an age has bust written all over it.

so was Kwame Brown........

So what if he's overhyped. He's going to get paid a massive amount. We're discussing how this is a good idea for him, not the team paying him.

I'm going to include this because it was probably missed.

Best case scenario for leaving high school when he is drafted:

-He's drafted at age 17 top five overall.
-Becomes a great player and has a great career

-Gets injured or becomes a bust. Still has the original five million dollar bonus plus the money he makes on his rookie contract. Makes enough money from his bonus to invvest and be set for life.

Best case scenario for graduating high school and attending college:-Attends college and becomes a top five pick
-Becomes a good player and has a great career

Worst case scenario for graduating high school and attending college:

-Attends college where he is injured or becomes a bust
-Has no signing bonus and no baseball career.
-Loses his scholarship to college due to lack of ability

This is even me assuming he won't be the top pick, demanding a massive signing bonus, which is highly likely at this point. There's absolutely no way you can justify him not entering the draft if he's projected to be the #1 overall. He's going to get a massive bonus and it has no risk of making nothing.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
So what if he's overhyped. He's going to get paid a massive amount. We're discussing how this is a good idea for him, not the team paying him.

I'm going to include this because it was probably missed.

I don't think it was a good idea. Just because he makes all that money doesn't mean he is going to be smart with it. At 17, he very easily could squander it away. That leads to the problem that if he is a bust, there is a chance he will be screwed because of a lack of education. It may work out for him, but the worst case secanrios are potentially much worse than what you listed them as.

The Kwame brown statement just shows for every success in that situation, there are still failures.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
agents normally get 10%. The highest tax bracket for the IRS is in the 40% ranges, so 50-60% is not only reasonable, but probally accurate

Wrong again. Scott Boris gets 5%. And yes the take bracket might be up to 40% but don't you think these guys have accountants to help the keep as much as possible? You got anything else you would like me to disprove?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/040510/10eeagent_2.htm

Sinatra Vegas
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Ummm, What's your point I had a job when I was 16... This is a talent based industry and if he has the talent he should be able to play... Its not like football where its grown man on grown man contact, the bat's the same size and the ball's just as juiced as ever... And he'll get to be in the minor's if he isnt ready...

Why should he have to go out of state on traveling all-star teams every month just to get pitches to hit? Does that help his education? Vegas has had plenty of players that made it to the bigs and none of them ever got the treatment that this kid gets as far as pitchers avoiding him... How does it help him to get better? His parents are doing exactly what they're supposed to do: what's best for HIM... I went to Vegas High and trust me, he can find a date and still go to prom... He won't be barred

and he's apparently smart enough to take college courses... Imagine if you were good enough to take a job that would pay you millions, would you say "I know I can get the 4 million now, but I'd rather have patience"

story's like 2-3 wks old btw

Ian.
07-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think it was a good idea. Just because he makes all that money doesn't mean he is going to be smart with it. At 17, he very easily could squander it away. That leads to the problem that if he is a bust, there is a chance he will be screwed because of a lack of education. It may work out for him, but the worst case secanrios are potentially much worse than what you listed them as.

The Kwame brown statement just shows for every success in that situation, there are still failures.

What he does with the money is also not part of this discussion as we have no idea what he will do with said money. At 17, the money belongs to his parents. Once he turns 18, it's all his and if he pisses it away, it's his own problem. I'm debating the fact that people say he shouldn't be allowed to or it's not a good idea to skip college. I know pleanty of people that have not gone to college and have a very good life.

whitesoxfan83
07-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I dont have a problem with this at all.

IMO...

the point of an high school education is to get into college (whether it be junior or real college)

the point of college is to get a degree

the point of getting a degree is to get a better job

the point of a better job is to make more money than a lesser job.

All Harper is doing is skipping all the steps we unlucky bastards weren't allowed to skip, high school and college looking back on it were about as pointless as they were rewarding and ill applaud anyone who found a way to skip all the bogus steps and go straight to the making more money part.

Lets not act like he can't get his GED during an offseason (or has he already graduated high school?) and if worst comes to worst and hes a gigantic bust it isnt like he won't have the money from his playing days to pay for college tuition, get a degree, and get a job like the rest of us.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Kwame Brown and this kid are different. For one Kwame plays in the NBA which does not have the same pay scale for draft picks. NBA first picks make a lot less then MLB first picks. Do some research. A 5 yr 20 million deal can set you up for a pretty easy life.

Also Kwame Brown was 19, again you're an idiot. He was born in March of 1982 and drafted in June of 2001.

Again you're and idiot.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I dont have a problem with this at all.

IMO...

the point of an high school education is to get into college (whether it be junior or real college)

the point of college is to get a degree

the point of getting a degree is to get a better job

the point of a better job is to make more money than a lesser job.

All Harper is doing is skipping all the steps we unlucky bastards weren't allowed to skip, high school and college looking back on it were about as pointless as they were rewarding and ill applaud anyone who found a way to skip all the bogus steps and go straight to the making more money part.

Lets not act like he can't get his GED during an offseason (or has he already graduated high school?) and if worst comes to worst and hes a gigantic bust it isnt like he won't have the money from his playing days to pay for college tuition, get a degree, and get a job like the rest of us.

What you said is basically common sense that many can't seem to comprehend. They're going to start looking for irrelevant reasons like "He could waste all of that bonus money."

Also Kwame Brown was 19, again your an idiot. He was born in March of 1982 and drafted in June of 2001.

Again your and idiot.

Oh the irony!

:laugh:

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:32 PM
David Price got a 5.6 million dollar signing bonus. And is making 3.6 million a year. That is 23 million over 5 yrs.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:32 PM
What you said is basically common sense that many can't seem to comprehend. They're going to start looking for irrelevant reasons like "He could waste all of that bonus money."

Oh the irony!

:laugh:

Sorry you're and idiot.

1hardcore
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
It should be illegal to do this since he is not of age.

i agree!!

it's like the nba

because whats the point of having an education

Ian.
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Sorry you're and idiot.

Correcting it after the fact doesn't make it like it never happened.:clap:

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Correcting it after the fact doesn't make it like it never happened.:clap:

Agreed..

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Wrong again. Scott Boris gets 5%. And yes the take bracket might be up to 40% but don't you think these guys have accountants to help the keep as much as possible? You got anything else you would like me to disprove?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/040510/10eeagent_2.htm

considering you haven't proved anything I said was wrong, I'll wait until you do that to have more stuff for you to disprove.

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Do you know anything about him? He is projected to be better then A Rod, better then Griffey.If projecting baseball players talent is so easy, why do more than half of 1st round picks fail?

:laugh: Yeah, that's the worst case scenario. Seriously, have you ever heard of Todd Marinovich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Marinovich)?

This isn't just about money. When a kid (and, yes, Bryce is still a KID) is put in a position where his entire future, his family's income, his whole LIFE is all dependent upon him performing in a very, very high-pressure sport and the parents willingly throw him into this mess at 16-years-old, you're asking for trouble.

If you knew anything about him you would know that he is that good. He is going to be the first pick. He will get $20 million guaranteed. That can but you on easy street.First of all, lay off the personal insults, junior. You'll see when you leave mom and dad's house that money doesn't come as easy or go as far as you think, so please spare me the lesson. If Harper is paying 38% in taxes AND agent fees, he's a lot smarter than I am (and I don't even have to pay an agent).

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:45 PM
What he does with the money is also not part of this discussion as we have no idea what he will do with said money. At 17, the money belongs to his parents. Once he turns 18, it's all his and if he pisses it away, it's his own problem. I'm debating the fact that people say he shouldn't be allowed to or it's not a good idea to skip college. I know pleanty of people that have not gone to college and have a very good life.

This whole arguement is about his own problem. Its his own problem if he becomes a bust and can't get a decent job because he is uneducated. The odds of a 16 year old living up to the hype really aren't that good. I thinks its a mistake, but it is his choice. Just because he can, doesn;t mean he should though.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Kwame Brown and this kid are different. For one Kwame plays in the NBA which does not have the same pay scale for draft picks. NBA first picks make a lot less then MLB first picks. Do some research. A 5 yr 20 million deal can set you up for a pretty easy life.

Also Kwame Brown was 19, again you're an idiot. He was born in March of 1982 and drafted in June of 2001.

Again you're and idiot.

I'm an idiot? Half your post he was how kwame brown is unrelated to bryce harper because he's an NBA player, yet it was you who brought the NBA into it by saying that kobe bryant panned out. It does matter, in any sport, for every success in a situation like thes,e there are plenty of failures. I never compared Kwame to harper, I compared him to bryant, as they were both highly touted top picks out of high school, one being a success and one being the poster child of why coming out early is bad.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 02:50 PM
This whole arguement is about his own problem. Its his own problem if he becomes a bust and can't get a decent job because he is uneducated. The odds of a 16 year old living up to the hype really aren't that good. I thinks its a mistake, but it is his choice. Just because he can, doesn;t mean he should though.

I don't know of any easier way to explain this. He is likely going to be drafted number one overall and make a TON of money. Now, I'm not sure he'll get $20 million since he doesn't have the leverage in the situation, but I would guess it would be over $8 million AT LEAST. What's the benefit to going to college only to be drafted three years later number one overall? There is no benefit whatsoever. He will be drafted high whether he is drafted next year or years down the road after he rakes in college. Why even take the chance that he can't hit college pitching when the opportunity to make more money than many will make in their lifetime is right in front of you at age 17?

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know of any easier way to explain this. He is likely going to be drafted number one overall and make a TON of money. Now, I'm not sure he'll get $20 million since he doesn't have the leverage in the situation, but I would guess it would be over $8 million AT LEAST. What's the benefit to going to college only to be drafted three years later number one overall? There is no benefit whatsoever. He will be drafted high whether he is drafted next year or years down the road after he rakes in college. Why even take the chance that he can't hit college pitching when the opportunity to make more money than many will make in their lifetime is right in front of you at age 17?

I understand your arguement. I just palce a higher value on the college exprience and gaining of an education. I understand the logic of doing it, I just personally don't feel that a 17 year old is mature enough to handle professional baseball at such a young age. Thats just me though, this kid easily could be the next big thing and it could all work out for him. Again, I agree its completely his choice.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
David Price made 23 million guaranteed with is rookie deal. And this years pick will make more, so next years pick will make more.

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
You're going about this like it's a math problem and it's not. You can't just crunch the numbers like... oh, he'll make $22.5 million and then if he invests it right and blah, blah, blah, he's going to be just fine. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about how a 16-year-old isn't built for this kind of thing. A lot of the time when a very young athlete is thrown into a very high pressure sport and the parents aren't necessarily looking out for the kid as person rather than as a money maker, it turns out very badly. When someone can't handle the pressure and turns to drugs, drinking, or just crumbles under the pressure, it can get very ugly. I am not making this up... there are many examples that support what I'm saying...

Todd Marinovich
Josh Hamilton
Maurice Clarrett
Mary Pierce
Oksana Baiul
Jennifer Capriati
Sean O'Hair

If Bryce is SOOOOO good, then why wouldn't he be confident enough to just finish high school and then go to the pros like everyone else? What is the rush for? The money isn't going anywhere if his talent is still there.

cubbies93
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
so he left high school to enter the draft one year earlier. doesnt make much scence. but unless he is going to be the number one pick. but still finish highschool than become the number one pick.

Ian.
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
You're going about this like it's a math problem and it's not. You can't just crunch the numbers like... oh, he'll make $22.5 million and then if he invests it right and blah, blah, blah, he's going to be just fine. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about how a 16-year-old isn't built for this kind of thing. A lot of the time when a very young athlete is thrown into a very high pressure sport and the parents aren't necessarily looking out for the kid as person rather than as a money maker, it turns out very badly. When someone can't handle the pressure and turns to drugs, drinking, or just crumbles under the pressure, it can get very ugly. I am not making this up... there are many examples that support what I'm saying...

Todd Marinovich
Josh Hamilton
Maurice Clarrett
Mary Pierce
Oksana Baiul
Jennifer Capriati
Sean O'Hair

If Bryce is SOOOOO good, then why wouldn't he be confident enough to just finish high school and then go to the pros like everyone else? What is the rush for? The money isn't going anywhere if his talent is still there.

I will not argue against that at all. My issue is with people saying that he won't have the experience and knowledge of college to fall back on if baseball doesn't work out.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM

He wants to get paid. If you could take a promotion at work and get paid 10X what your making now would you? Or would you say let me wait on this, I don't think I am ready for it?

Say he waits and gets hit by a bus, you can kiss that money goodbye.

homer2680
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I will not argue against that at all. My issue is with people saying that he won't have the experience and knowledge of college to fall back on if baseball doesn't work out.

If it does not work out he can go back to school. Take our loans like the rest of us if he is broke. If he signs at 17, he can be a bust and be out of baseball by 22. Can you imagine a 22yr old going back to school? Wow!

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 03:38 PM
He wants to get paid. If you could take a promotion at work and get paid 10X what your making now would you? Or would you say let me wait on this, I don't think I am ready for it?

Say he waits and gets hit by a bus, you can kiss that money goodbye. When I was 20 years old, I worked at a health insurance company as a temp making like $12/hr. At the end of the summer, when I was getting ready to go back to college for my senior year, they offered me like $60k to stay there and work for them. I knew I wasn't going to be making anywhere near that when I graduated college, but I turned it down and went and finished college because it meant a lot for my future and for me as a person. So, yes, I can honestly say that if I was this kid I would finish high school before moving on. Unfortunately, I don't think the kid has a lot of say in it... it's his dad and Scott Boras making the moves.

If it does not work out he can go back to school. Take our loans like the rest of us if he is broke. If he signs at 17, he can be a bust and be out of baseball by 22. Can you imagine a 22yr old going back to school? Wow!Yeah, and he can take out some loans and re-create what his prom would have been like, and his HS graduation, and the time he would have spent with his HS buddies...

Ian.
07-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Prom was overrated and a waste of money.

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Prom was overrated and a waste of money.:) I'm not gonna disagree with that.

Lincecum4CY
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM

As fcuked up as it sounds, i kinda hope he is a bust.
Teach the kid and all other kids that education is more important than having a big ego and just focusing on sports.

Yes if he does become a bust he can always go back to school and get his general ed...but he'd be what...25+?

Kids got talent...but who knows how that will translate to the big leagues?

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
As fcuked up as it sounds, i kinda hope he is a bust.
Teach the kid and all other kids that education is more important than having a big ego and just focusing on sports. More like teach the parents. I don't care if my kid is Babe ****ing Ruth, if he comes to me when he's a sophomore in high school and says he wants to leave high school to pursue baseball professionally, I'm going to kick his *** all the way up to his room and make him finish his homework. Baseball will still be waiting for you when you graduate. Why don't you concentrate on getting a basic education and being a normal teenager for a couple years?

whitesoxfan83
07-01-2009, 04:56 PM
For all you know everyone in high school hates him and he ****ing hates it there. Going for the money is the smart route because in the end he can still get a college education if he needs it, your making an argument around how he shouldnt do this because he isnt mature enough and will be missing out on teenage events that he shouldnt be.

Your arguing a bunch of what ifs. Hes going to be a millionaire by the time hes 20 and if he ends up being a bust he can go back to school and if he doesnt have the money he can take out loans (Although seriously to think he would piss all of his money away by the time he would be considered a bust is pretty far out there)

What your arguing is:

His dad and Boras have too much influence
He is going to miss out on Prom and hanging out with his friends
and like others in the past he may not be mature enough to handle all of this and it could lead him to things like drugs, unprotected sex, and rock and roll.

What your arguing is pure speculation, you dont know his situation your just comparing it to past ones. The fact is if someone can make you a millionaire by 20 you ****ing do it, and if you end up sucking in the profession that made you a millionaire than you take the money you have and you find a new route to take in life.

Your basically arguing this is wrong because it isnt normal, yet he isnt a normal high schooler so of course the route he takes isnt going to be the one you or i did, as it should be.

Lincecum4CY
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Prom was overrated and a waste of money.

If you had a hot date and was prom king then you'd think otherwise :)

Ian.
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
If you had a hot date and was prom king then you'd think otherwise :)

No I would not. I don't need to have my ego stroked.

Lincecum4CY
07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
More like teach the parents. I don't care if my kid is Babe ****ing Ruth, if he comes to me when he's a sophomore in high school and says he wants to leave high school to pursue baseball professionally, I'm going to kick his *** all the way up to his room and make him finish his homework. Baseball will still be waiting for you when you graduate. Why don't you concentrate on getting a basic education and being a normal teenager for a couple years?

LOL..true. Its just sad, a lot of these kids are getting scholarships for sports and barely passing common low level high school classes..while students are not in athletic programs but excel in high school but can't afford college because they aren't getting scholarships and have to settle for JCs.

Parents need to hammer it into their childrens brain that sports isn't the only thing in the world. You get be that football jock in high school but really. no one gives a shiet about you come graduation...people are going to be jocking the validictorians as they strive for success and get far in life with lots of money.

SPORTS ISN"T THE ONLY THING IN LIFE CHILDREN! Dream of being the next President! Not the next best sports athlete!

nymetsrule
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Yea he is going to the same community college as me this upcoming fall.
and going to play baseball for them also.

Become his friend just for his fame...do it.

nymetsrule
07-01-2009, 05:07 PM
LOL..true. Its just sad, a lot of these kids are getting scholarships for sports and barely passing common low level high school classes..while students are not in athletic programs but excel in high school but can't afford college because they aren't getting scholarships and have to settle for JCs.

Parents need to hammer it into their childrens brain that sports isn't the only thing in the world. You get be that football jock in high school but really. no one gives a shiet about you come graduation...people are going to be jocking the validictorians as they strive for success and get far in life with lots of money.

SPORTS ISN"T THE ONLY THING IN LIFE CHILDREN! Dream of being the next President! Not the next best sports athlete!

Who are you to tell people what they can or cannot do. If he wants to do baseball, let him do his best and do what makes him happy. You worry about your own life.

bartoron
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I know this sounds horrible, but I hope he gets hurt and can't play baseball ever again. Maybe I just can't understand his mindset because I'm not a baseball phenom, but anyone who drops out of high school two years early to pursue a professional sports career is a total ******.

Padres Son
07-01-2009, 05:30 PM
For all you know everyone in high school hates him and he ****ing hates it there. Going for the money is the smart route because in the end he can still get a college education if he needs it, your making an argument around how he shouldnt do this because he isnt mature enough and will be missing out on teenage events that he shouldnt be.

Your arguing a bunch of what ifs. Hes going to be a millionaire by the time hes 20 and if he ends up being a bust he can go back to school and if he doesnt have the money he can take out loans (Although seriously to think he would piss all of his money away by the time he would be considered a bust is pretty far out there)

What your arguing is:

His dad and Boras have too much influence
He is going to miss out on Prom and hanging out with his friends
and like others in the past he may not be mature enough to handle all of this and it could lead him to things like drugs, unprotected sex, and rock and roll.

What your arguing is pure speculation, you dont know his situation your just comparing it to past ones. The fact is if someone can make you a millionaire by 20 you ****ing do it, and if you end up sucking in the profession that made you a millionaire than you take the money you have and you find a new route to take in life.

Your basically arguing this is wrong because it isnt normal, yet he isnt a normal high schooler so of course the route he takes isnt going to be the one you or i did, as it should be.Yeah, he IS going to be a millionaire by 20 and he would be whether he finishes high school or not.

I don't care if it's "normal", I'm just saying that I've seen this scenario many times before and it seems to have a much higher failure rate than the guy who goes the "normal" route and kills it every step of the way. Maybe he'll be fine, maybe he won't. I'm just saying that if that was my kid, I wouldn't put him in that situation.

Lincecum4CY
07-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Who are you to tell people what they can or cannot do. If he wants to do baseball, let him do his best and do what makes him happy. You worry about your own life.

Who are you to tell me what to say and what i can't say? Worry about yourself before telling me to worry about my own life.

MetsNats1969
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
He is free to do what he wants. He has some talent versus his local high school kids, and apparently an ego beyond that. We'll find out soon enough how he plays against the older more talented and mature players.

His parents? I totally disagree with their attitude and share the view expressed in this thread that he should finish high school and go to college to learn, to learn how to learn more, and to develop friends and relationships to carry him through life. But I'm not the best parent in the world, they see the opportunity to cash in, and although I think they are short-sighted and stupid, that's their business.

Boras is the one who bothers me in this. At some point in all of our lives, I hope we can develop a moral compass, some sense of ethics. Look at someone as a kid as opposed to another payday. Boras is an *** -- but a very successful *** on behalf of his clients. Do I think he throws some of his clients under the proverbial bus to ensure a bigger contract for others (and bigger cut for him)? He absolutely does that, as demonstrated by the story of how he worked three separate clients and the Royals in the draft a couple of years ago.

To me for this case, he seems to be as bad as those shady AAU coaches convincing 15 years olds they're the next Michael Jordan. He's like those coaches who work to send 15 and 16 year olds to Moose Jaw to be the next Gretzky. He's like those coaches who line up the little ten year old girls promising one of them will be the next Mary Lou Retton. A 13 year old kid just committed to play football for the University of Tennessee! A lot of lives are changed -- some for good, probably many more ruined -- and the Boras' of the world simply move on to the next client.

This whole thing makes me cringe. It stinks on so many levels. And there's not a thing any of us can do about it.

That's life.

koldjerky
07-01-2009, 11:26 PM

You know if you're 13 you can sign yourself into the hospital for any psyche related illness, if you're with child under the age of 18 you are "legally" an adult?

It is true the parents are held liable and basically have the final say in this, but like others have said there are children who graduate highschool early and enter college at a young age.

How often do you really hear of someone of his age with this much talent? Of course there are those other busts that others have mentioned, but there are your Tiger Woods', Shaun Whites and so on.

This could would be wasting his talent if he didn't do this. It's easier to finish school at a later age than to become a professional athlete at an older age.

I want to see this guy succeed.

detroitsports22
07-02-2009, 02:47 AM
He better be pretty damn amazing

thefeckcampaign
07-02-2009, 06:29 AM

The Kwame brown statement just shows for every success in that situation, there are still failures.Still, if someone as simple as KB's agent told him to keep $250,00 to the side he would have enough money to attend college if the NBA turned out a bust. As well, if he bought a modest home, at least that would be paid for as well so at the very least 2 of the most expensive things in one's life would already be taken care of simply by attempting to play pro sports.

thefeckcampaign
07-02-2009, 06:34 AM

story's like 2-3 wks old btwAnd the 1919 WS is nearly 100 years old and people still like to discuss that. So what?

Pinstripe pride
07-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Still, if someone as simple as KB's agent told him to keep $250,00 to the side he would have enough money to attend college if the NBA turned out a bust. As well, if he bought a modest home, at least that would be paid for as well so at the very least 2 of the most expensive things in one's life would already be taken care of simply by attempting to play pro sports.

Your missing my point. i don't think a 17 year old kid can handle and be responsible with that kind of money in a pro-athlete lifestyle. There is a maturity issue here. I personally don't think a 17 year old is ready for that kind of thing. He could do exactly what you said, or he could be stupid and spend it all buying fancy things and partying. Giving the mindset of most 17 year olds, I'll say the later is more likely.

arkanian215
07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

vick27m
07-02-2009, 11:18 AM
i hope he is a bust and doesnt get a dime

spechtacular18
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
idk why people are talkin so much **** on this kid. this kid could be the nicest damn kid in the world and your downplaying him like he is an *******. maybe this is his decision. maybe he sat his parents down and had a legitimate heart to heart conversation with his parents. im sure the kid knows exactly what is going on he isnt stupid at all. he knows he has the abilities and he wants to showcase them at a different level which is JUCO because the high school level he is playing at isnt HELPING him one bit. the kid is 16 years old and pitchers are already pitching around him and walkin him and what not. you guys really expect him to just sit there in high school and say yeah go ahead walk me its gonna make me better. no he gets his GED and he goes to JUCO where he gets a year of college education and gets at a better level of baseball. a level that will show what he really has as a baseball player.

if he struggles his first year than he stays and gets another year of education and one mroe year of baseball under his belt at a higher level.

if he succeeds than he gets pick #1 overall by the nationals. gets a pretty hefty contract. gets all the fame and fortune. and hey if it doesnt work out and he is a bust who the hell cares. we still continue to watch the game of baseball and he goes to college with the money he has left over from his rookie contract. then he gets a real job and lives pretty securely for the rest of his life

plus like people are saying its the exact same thing as graduating high school early and going to college a year or two early

also there are the foreign players that get signed at a young age why should this be any different

and one more thing you people talk like you are in his situation. if you guys were in his situation you would all be chasing the money. the kid has skills and from what i hear he has smarts and a good mindset. let him be what he wants to be. who are we to say otherwise

hammerinhank
07-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I dont see a problem with what he is doing. The maturity level from a 17 year old to a 19 year old is pretty much identical so regardless of if he were to go into the draft two years later then he would still young and immature. As for his potential of being a bust it is a possability. Say he is a bust I am sure he will still be decent enough to stick around the league and make a minimum of $250k a year which is more then he would make at a job using his college degree. Also one mentioned Kwame Brown being a bust (which he def was) he has still managed to stick around the league for several years and has prob made a decent living, the guy made $4 mill last year.

All the kid has to do is be able to stay in the league and he will be fine.

thefeckcampaign
07-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Your missing my point. i don't think a 17 year old kid can handle and be responsible with that kind of money in a pro-athlete lifestyle. There is a maturity issue here. I personally don't think a 17 year old is ready for that kind of thing. He could do exactly what you said, or he could be stupid and spend it all buying fancy things and partying. Giving the mindset of most 17 year olds, I'll say the later is more likely.That is going to happen with poor upbringing. Hell, I knew something similar happening to someone whose parents won the lottery. They were instant millionaires. 20 years later after the payments stopped they went back to FLA to a trailer-style home similar to what they lived in before I knew him.

sexicano31
07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
bad idea. I hope he ends up like Billy Beane, in the player sense.

thefeckcampaign
07-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I can't believe all the ill wishes a lot of you guys are giving him.

rapjuicer06
07-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I can't believe all the ill wishes a lot of you guys are giving him.

you'll have haters every where man. i hope the kid does great things and is crazy awesome like he gets praise for. there is no point in staying another year, getting walked every at bat and losing everything he worked so hard to get. the kid is 16 years old and already has a great head on his shoulders. obviously he isn't out there partying it up like some of you other teenagers are. he's out there making himself the best he can. i hope this kid plays for 25+ years and i get to watch a complete stud play for that amount of time. Best of luck to you Harper!

vigilantex69
07-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Yea I mean hes getting his GED, so who really cares? What do you really learn in high school anyway? Most high schools will do just about anything to get you to graduate because if you don't it looks bad on them and they lose funding. He might as well take the opportunity and run with it.

fanofclendennon
07-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Sanitation Employee.

Don't those guys have to be able to read and write so they can pass a civil service test?

It makes no sense. If he waited until he graduated high school, he could use college as leverage to get more money from the team that drafts him.

But if he's drafted before he finishes high school, what choice does he have but to sign for whatever terms that team wants to offer?

Cubs Win
07-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Don't those guys have to be able to read and write so they can pass a civil service test?

It makes no sense. If he waited until he graduated high school, he could use college as leverage to get more money from the team that drafts him.

But if he's drafted before he finishes high school, what choice does he have but to sign for whatever terms that team wants to offer?

Well he could go play professionally in Japan like Boras is supposedly considering for Strasburg. But I agree, that other than that, he'd really have no options.

BluejaysFan08
07-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Why not take the expirience in HS its going to be along time before he plays in the big anyways even if he is great.