PDA

View Full Version : O's Score 5 in 7th and 5 in 8th to Beat the Red Sox 11-10

whitesoxfan83
07-01-2009, 01:54 AM
BALTIMORE (AP)—John Smoltz(notes) watched in disbelief as the Boston Red Sox wound up on the wrong end of the biggest comeback in Baltimore Orioles history.

Smoltz wasn’t upset that he didn’t earn his long-awaited 211th victory. He just couldn’t believe that the Red Sox didn’t win, either.

“No one would have ever dreamed it would play out the way it did,” Smoltz said after the Orioles rallied from a nine-run deficit to win 11-10 Tuesday night. “It’s one of those games when you shake your head and can’t believe what you just saw.”

Nick Markakis(notes) hit a two-run double off Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon(notes) to complete the comeback before a mixture of delirious hometown fans and stunned Red Sox backers.

Baltimore trailed 10-1 before scoring five runs in the seventh inning and five more in the eighth. The rally was even more shocking because it came against a Boston team that had defeated the Orioles eight straight times, including five this season.

Up by nine runs in the seventh, the Red Sox probably figured the only lamentable aspect of the night was that Smoltz wouldn’t get his first win with Boston because of a lengthy rain delay.

The Red Sox had no idea how bad it would get.

“It was a weird game, a terrible loss for us,” Dustin Pedroia(notes) said. “That’s upsetting. Things just kind of spiraled on us.”

Previously, the biggest comeback in Orioles history was Sept. 2, 1956, when Baltimore rallied from an eight-run deficit at Boston. In this one, the Orioles got 13 of their 16 hits in the seventh and eighth innings.

“We just had no answer,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “We went through everybody. Nothing we did worked.”

Mark Hendrickson(notes) (3-4) gave up one run in three innings and George Sherrill(notes) got three outs for his 17th save.

“That was probably the best game I’ve been involved in, right there,” Baltimore manager Dave Trembley said. “That was absolutely tremendous. When you talk about playing all 27 outs, that’s tonight.”

Takashi Saito(notes) (2-1) took the loss and Papelbon was charged with his second blown save, one night after he tied Bob Stanley’s career record for saves with Boston. The right-hander was 20-for-20 in save opportunities against the Orioles.

Baltimore used seven hits in the seventh inning, including a three-run homer by pinch-hitter Oscar Salazar(notes), to cut a 10-1 deficit to 10-6.

“You sit on the bench 5 hours with the rain delay, but when they told me to hit, I was ready,” Salazar said.

In the eighth, Ty Wigginton(notes) hit a sacrifice fly and Brian Roberts(notes) delivered an RBI single before Papelbon entered. The right-hander struck out Felix Pie(notes) for the second out before Markakis stepped in.

Markakis was 0 for 7 with four strikeouts against Papelbon, but this time he hit a double to left-center.

“Give the other team credit. They put pressure on our bullpen tonight and we pretty much imploded,” Papelbon said. “I can’t think of any other word that describes it better.”

It had been 438 days since the 42-year-old Smoltz won a game, and it appeared certain the right-hander would end the drought when Boston took a 9-1 lead into the bottom of the fifth. But a fierce storm forced the game to be stopped for 71 minutes.

Thus ended Smoltz’s second start with Boston after a 20-year run with the Atlanta Braves. Five days earlier, he gave up five runs over five innings in a loss to Washington.

Kevin Youkilis(notes) and Jacoby Ellsbury(notes) homered for the Red Sox, and Pedroia had three RBIs. None of it really mattered in the end.

“It happened real fast. We beat them up pretty good and then they beat us up pretty good,” Pedroia said.

Before the Red Sox blew the lead, Boston’s infielders joined pitcher Justin Masterson(notes) in leaving the field with two outs in the sixth inning.

Thinking Pie’s grounder to shortstop was the third out, Masterson walked toward the Boston dugout and was followed by his infielders. All of them sheepishly returned after realizing their gaffe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=290630101

Stunning

Wiz kids
07-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Woot Woot Go O's!

Havoc Wreaker
07-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Meh....

Matt-the-great
07-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Meh....

don't even post if that is your comment on a very impressive comeback victory.

baseball is all about what the O's just accomplished.

A last place team coming back in the late innings for 10 runs to overthrow the division leader and AL favorite....that is not "meh..."

Super.
07-01-2009, 03:39 AM
:throws temper tantrum:

Ugh. it was the damn bullpen. Smoltz was BEASTING too....**** rain

gcoll
07-01-2009, 06:49 AM
With the way the Red Sox have dominated the O's in recent years, and the way Red Sox fans invade their park.....I'm sure it felt very good for a lot of O's fans to deliver such an embarrassing loss to the Sox.

That being said. From my side of things it sucked ***. Smoltz looked good though.

CubsGirl
07-01-2009, 07:13 AM
The O's have been a LOT better this year. I feel like whenever I catch one of their games, they've won.

agoody117
07-01-2009, 07:21 AM
i was following the game in the early innings and was very pleased and i turned back a couple hours later to see how well and deep smoltz did...only to see that one the game was still being played (rain delay) and two that they blew a huge lead!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

papipapsmanny
07-01-2009, 07:23 AM
i wasnt even pissed I actually started laughing, for some reason I saw it coming, i guess the Os can have one every now and then.

But then again if the Sox lose the division by a game or 2 i remember this game and the mets dropped popl fly blunder

Ian.
07-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Blah blah

AdamJones=God
07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
It was a very impressive win. However you need to look at the negatives also though.

Rich Hill now has an ERA over 7.00. It may be a blessing in disguise however, hopefully allowing us to pull up another young pitcher.

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't care what side of the arguement you fall on, that is damn impressive. Good for the O's

magichatnumber9
07-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't care what side of the arguement you fall on, that is damn impressive. Good for the O's

You mean good for the Yankee's

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
You mean good for the Yankee's

well there is that too.....

sboy2012
07-01-2009, 09:35 AM
The O's have been a LOT better this year. I feel like whenever I catch one of their games, they've won.

Please watch more orioles games! :)

domz248
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
wow i had 200 on this game i counted my chickens way to earlier :cry:

Do you guys think boston and beckett bounce back today ??

ritz
07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Very cool

pf289
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
haha yeah O's. damn that game was absurd an watched it all

AdamJones=God
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Today is going to be an AMAZING game. Beckett, like all other Red Sox pitchers, have had great success against the O's as starters. However, the Red Sox are facing an Orioles pitcher in Brad Bergesen that is getting severely underlooked in the majors. He struggled in the beginning of the year just a little bit, but he is a rookie, it was his first few games. he has now settled down and become a very solid pitcher. The Phillies have seen it, the Braves have seen it. Hopefully he can show a division rival today that he is hopefully the ace of the future for this staff

hammerinhank
07-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Why would you bet on a first place team playing a last??? They payout for a win cant be worth the risk of a loss.

Robphunk
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Thats right baby go O's dont care who they play if you dont get all 27 outs you better be careful. This is just the start of good things for the O's!!!!!!

Ian.
07-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Why would you bet on a first place team playing a last??? They payout for a win cant be worth the risk of a loss.

1. He made it up
2. He's a moron.

Robphunk
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Today is going to be an AMAZING game. Beckett, like all other Red Sox pitchers, have had great success against the O's as starters. However, the Red Sox are facing an Orioles pitcher in Brad Bergesen that is getting severely underlooked in the majors. He struggled in the beginning of the year just a little bit, but he is a rookie, it was his first few games. he has now settled down and become a very solid pitcher. The Phillies have seen it, the Braves have seen it. Hopefully he can show a division rival today that he is hopefully the ace of the future for this staff

Yup Yup Bergesen is pretty underrated and if he has good stuff tonight he could definitely be a surprise to the boston hitters. as of lately though if he pitches good we wont hit well and if he gives up 8 runs thenm we will try to chip away at the lead hopefully we come out firing on all cylinders and take two in a row,and give boston thier first series lost out of 8 in a row.

JENKSTONE724
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Thats right baby go O's dont care who they play if you dont get all 27 outs you better be careful. This is just the start of good things for the O's!!!!!!

That s**t was a fluke. Wait until 2nite's game. You will see that was a fluke.The O's will fall again.

Robphunk
07-01-2009, 11:40 AM
That s**t was a fluke. Wait until 2nite's game. You will see that was a fluke.The O's will fall again.

Fake As* red sox fan........True Hater!!!!!!!!

We will see tonight!!!!
first pitch 135 watch it!

JENKSTONE724
07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Fake *** White Sox fan by the way. Just know a fluke when I see one.

Robphunk
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Fake *** White Sox fan by the way. Just know a fluke when I see one.

haha then take yo As* back to chi town if you wanna see a real fluke!!!

donnie23
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Rule #1 never bet on the Yankees
Rule #2 never bet on the RedSox

Those are really the only rules of betting baseball.

NYYankeesWin#27
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
good for O's (aand yankees!)

Pavelb1
07-01-2009, 11:52 AM

We will see tonight!!!!
first pitch 710 watch it!

A true fan would know the real first pitch time.

donnie23
07-01-2009, 11:52 AM

We will see tonight!!!!
first pitch 710 watch it!

Isn't the game at 1:35?

JENKSTONE724
07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
The White Sox is #2 in our division. What place are the O's in. Our record is 39-38. What is the O's record. EXACTLY!!! HUSH HUSH!!!

Robphunk
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
A true fan would know the real first pitch time.

hahahahaha yea my bad i forgot it was day game today my bad
but it should be at 735

domz248
07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
1. He made it up
2. He's a moron.

it was 120 to make 100 why wouldn't you take the redsox with those odds you pretty much have to be a moron to not

domz248
07-01-2009, 12:34 PM

120 to make 100 i think that was worth the risk with the number 1 playing the number 4 in there division

donnie23
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
120 to make 100 i think that was worth the risk with the number 1 playing the number 4 in there division

ATL2010
07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Crazy game its a shame Smoltz didn't get the win

hawksd911
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Well atleast i made 20 bucks on the Braves comback victory yesterday :)

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
The White Sox is #2 in our division. What place are the O's in. Our record is 39-38. What is the O's record. EXACTLY!!! HUSH HUSH!!!

yea man. You tell those orioles fans. Even though they are only 4 games back of your mighty white sox, and the white sox would actually be in 5th place if the played in the east, but no the mighty 2nd place white sox at 1 game over .500 simply own the O's...................

Super.
07-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Crazy game its a shame Smoltz didn't get the win

**** rain :mad:

NYYCowboys
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
I honestly think if the O's were in the NL East they'd be in contention for the division

AdamJones=God
07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
yea man. You tell those orioles fans. Even though they are only 4 games back of your mighty white sox, and the white sox would actually be in 5th place if the played in the east, but no the mighty 2nd place white sox at 1 game over .500 simply own the O's...................

I actually like you now

Pinstripe pride
07-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I actually like you now

I give credit where credit is due

Ian.
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
it was 120 to make 100 why wouldn't you take the redsox with those odds you pretty much have to be a moron to not

Look how well that turned out.

bmurphy28
07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I honestly think if the O's were in the NL East they'd be in contention for the division

I agree if my O's were in just aboutn any other division I think they would be taken more serious and could contend